Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros

$7.99 for a mixed 6
12 oz bottle
Good Time Party Store
Northville, MI

Three pistols eh? Maybe that's not what it means and why would it? But I'm sticking with my ignorant observation in lieu of something more intelligent and learned sounding. All of the Unibroue selections that I have tasted make me think of hefeweizen to some extent and this one is no exception. Normally I say that with a thumb downturned, a nose upturned(as if!) and no glory whatsoever but not this time. Not my favorite type of beer but this is quality like all of their brews are. There's a bockish caramel-wort taste and a little licorice? Root? Something with a black hand grabbing the tongue and stretching it to places unknown. There are minor flotilla which seem to be little more than garnish, but hell maybe they are giving off all the taste. Anyway lots of leafy and minty essence here. Almost like an icy hot peppermint stick with a candy bar rhythm jumping through a mist of alcohol sprinkler and sliding all the way to the edges of the boneyard invigorating even the dead.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Trois Pistoles pours a nice dark amber color; Nice head and very nice lacing; Smell is fruity and some bread; Taste is fruity and malty; Mouthfeel is dry and crisp, but very, very drinkable.

For the high alcohol content this is a very good beer.

¡Salud!

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance:
Black as night. A minor head with a lack of retention.

Smell:
Prodominantly floral ester with underlying caramel malt notes. Pretty mild but pleasant none the less.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Wow! I was not expecting that. This beer is incredibly complex. Starts off with strong banana bready malt character then travels on to slight caramel notes and finishes with the most fantastic kick of honey suckle. It's nice and smooth with the exception of a pretty aggressive carbonated bitterness in the fore. My only qualm is I wish there was less of an aftertaste.

Drinkability:
I'm not one to give darker beers a good rating here simply because they usually are session or dinner beers to me, but this beer has shattered that mold. Incredible and surprising tastes have absolutely sold me on this beer and heres the best part, you can't taste a bit of the alcohol.

Bottom Line:
Thus far this is the best beer I have had from Unibroue which is saying a lot. If you haven't checked this one out yet please do. A fantastic interpretation of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to my Chimay goblet.

A - Opaque at first glance, but when held up to the light, shows a beautiful, deep ruby red. Great, thick head that lasts and lasts, even in a wide glass like I used.

S - Didn't get the brandied raisins that others had, but plenty of malty notes in there, along with just hint a of sourness.

T - Just gorgeous. Everything that I like about Belgian dark ales is here from the malts to the spices and herbal flavours. Unbelievably smooth, and the 9% alcohol is very understated.

M - Thick and creamy. I wouldn't have minded just a touch more effervescence, but that's more personal taste.

D - Highly drinkable, as the alcohol flavour is so understated. It soon caught up to me though, so two of these would be plenty.

If you haven't already tried this, and you like the Belgians, then what on earth are you waiting for?

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

this is a bottle that i have had in my cellar for a year, and i'm enjoying it out of my chimay goblet.

A - beautiful deep, warm coffee color with a fat pancake head

S - mellow spiced, dried fruit. the effect? think about when a cartoon character would float along the wafting aroma of a cooling pie

T - slightly sweet and dark; warm and complex

M - perfect, imho

D - i am a big fan of this beer, and though this has only aged for a year, it has added quite a bit, creating a wonderfully rounded brew.

forgive me for not spending any more time describing the tastes and smells of this bottle. i am pairing this with some rembrandt aged gouda and the combination is really fantastic. if you've never had this beer, all i can say is that it is the best digestible bargain on the planet (the sticker on my bottle shows i picked it up last year at world market for $5.99!). after the first sip i started planning on picking up more bottles and putting them away in my cellar. enjoy!

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured opaque. It has a nice head that lasts for quite a while. The lacing is thick. The smell is somewhat sour, but not overpowering. The taste is lightly malty with a hint of hops. The mouthfeel is not heavy but is bright with carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer that could be enjoyed on a variety of occasions.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

I picked this up at Whole Foods this evening as I was looking for something new and this was suggested to me as most like the dubbel-style. I was thinking of my current favorite of this style, the Westmalle Dubbel, which needs no introduction to the BA.

I poured the tall black bottle into my 50cl glass after chilling it for a 1/2 hour and a great spongy head appeared and settled down easily. The first impression I got from the smell was that of a famous Irish ale with coffee and chocolate nuances eminating from the heavy glass.

My first taste was simply duplicating what I had inhaled, but there was a thin body of burnt malts and funky raisins. Okay, so I kept drinking it to gather something else from it. After the ale warmed up, it seemed a little better in taste, but I thought that I might return another time to this ale, which is so highly thought of by the BA.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Trois pistols pours a luscious, nearly solid mahogany liquid crowned by a vivacious head. The head recedes quickly into a foamy ring around the perimeter but with little lacing to speak of. That last point is the only thing keeping it from a perfect appearance score.

Smells of brandied raisons, malt and a touch of alcohol.

Dark, herbal flavors mingle with plum and malt themes. Deliciously creamy finish follows a tongue-tingling mouthfeel. A rich, sweet aftertaste fades to a clean ending. Beautiful.

Mentioned previously, the mouthfeel is great and the alcohol is not immediately noticeable, making this (at 9% ABV) a dastardly drinkable concoction.

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured the 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a dark murky brown color with a large fizzy light tan head. Aroma is grassy and tart that is filled with many different rum soaked fruits. A light maltiness dominates the start that finishes sweet, tart and dry. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a high amount of carbonation. Overall, this is another good brew from Unibroue even though I was expecting a little more. Nonetheless, it is recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a dark, cloudy coffee brown with a minimal fizzy head.
S: Dark fruit aromas, caramel and some whiffs of alcohol
T: A very sweet, fruity brew with some bready backing to it. Dark fruits throughout, mainly raisins. There seems to be a minimal hop presence up front, which I like. The alcohol is a big factor at the end.
M&D: A bit too carbonated, but does not detract too much from the taste. Medium-bodied but lighter for the style. The alcohol kick at the end takes away from the drinkability, but still a nicely balanced brew.

One of my favorites, finally got around to reviewing it!

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Trois Pistoles pours a dark, hazy brown with a light tan head. Effervescent at first, the beer smells of cherry liquor with grapes and a grassy, Belgian spice typical of the style. The flavor expands with wild fruit flavor of figs and dates, along with apples and berries. An earthy, herbal spice accompanies the fruit until the ale finishes with brandy and port taste.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very dark hazy brown, nearly non-opaque. The head is massive, and spews forth without effort. The head is off white color, almost mocha. Carbonation is excellent as well. The looks are perfect for this one folks. Smell is strong of bananas, sweet candied malt, and various spices. Spicy with fruity esters. Taste is delicious. Lots of dark fruit, banana rind, and sweet phenols. Pure malt based, slightly caramelized, yet earthy. Taste is overall well balanced, dark and fruity. Full-bodied. Mouthfeel is creamy. Drinkability is crazy for 9%.

Another incredible offering from our friendly neighbors to the north.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

The pour was a dark crimson bordering on black with a four finger beige head that very slowly dissapated and left no lacing on the glass but a thin beige head remained on top of the beer throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in a complex fig and date scent with a slight hint of hop spice in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a kick of figs and complex fruits the middle was more of the same. The finish was heavy and lingering yeast and fruit.

This is a very good beer that would be a good example of the style. Quite drinkable and refreshing. Heavy and chewy but not over the top. Go after this one, it's worth it.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Dark brown, molasses-colored, with a bit of red undertone. Lots and lots of fluffy, light, creamy head. An incredible amount of lacing. Looks delicious.

S: Roasty scents, malt, clove/spice, and alcohol. Great smells, perfect for the style.

T: Dark, sweet roastiness with hints of chestnuts, clove and spice. Lemon and orange fruit notes, that mix with the peppery alcohol. Excellent blending, really very well brewed.

M: Thick and rich in consistency, but light on the tongue and palate.

D: Let's just say that I bought the 12 oz. bottle this time. I'll be looking for the 750mL size next time. Fantastic, and one of my new favorites.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a wine glass from a corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Date: 2005.

A- TONS of head. The first pour filled the glass with over 75% froathy, dishwater head. Left lacing behind that was sticky and tan. The beer is a deep burgandy color with small bubbles of carbonation shooting up throughout.

S- Raisens, slight alcohol, burnt cherry, earthy.

T- Starts out with a dark cherry, burnt caramel, and piney taste. Ends with a bittersweet citrus taste and a tinge of alcohol.

M- Dry and bold. The bubbles work good on the tongue.

D- This is a great drink. It is great for late night sipping or before dinner because it's very similar to a red wine for me.

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Deep brown color with beautiful cocoa head.
Mild fruity aroma, malt and alcohol background.
Enjoyable fruity/malt flavor. Not overpowering and spreads nicely across the tongue.
Excellent lingering after-taste on the back of the tongue that tickles the the nose.
A little too sweet for me to consider more than one glass.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Ok,
I've been a BeerAdvocate member for a long time now without ever reviewing a single beer. Very sad, I know. Time for that to stop! I have built up too much beer-knowledge, and, I'd like to share. No better way than with one of the best beers out there, Trois Pistoles.
I must admit that I love Unibroue, and many of their creations. Their style seems to suit my palate very well, and Trois Pistoles comes in at their very best. I used to love Eau Benite the most, but, since they no longer export it to the USA, I may have forgotten what it tastes like! But, trust me, it's awesome.
Trois Pistoles is excellent in it's own right. It's pretty smooth, medium carbonation. Above average carbonation for a belgian style, but, it doesn't hinder it's drinkability. The 9% APV is pretty well hidden, but, your brain will certainly know it after a nice 750ml bottle, but, pleasantly so. I'd be hardpressed to ever rate a beer above this one I think, but, it is my never ending search to do so of course!
Trois Pistoles moves to the head of the class. With a great, dried fruit taste, and all the smoothness you can expect for the style, it's one of the best ales out there. Enjoy!

PS- No, I'm not a shill for Unibroue, though I may sound like it.
The Blanche de Chambly is too weak for me, and I really didn't care a lot for their 15th Anniversary Ale, but, I don't think you can go wrong with 90% of their other offerings. My .02¢

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Presently my favorite beer made by Unibroue. (warning, you may become quite fickle and fall in love "with the one you're with" when you taste Unibroue's products for the first time. Trois Pistoles has the wonderful taste and drinkability of Irresistible Brune (sadly no longer made) with a slightly more mild aroma and kick of La Terrible. If you're still upset about the Irresistible, try their Chambly Noire. You'll get over the loss!

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a garnet-brown translucent beer with a carbonation and alcohol content that gives it a champagne-like texture -- dry, with lots of fizzing, but without retaining the initial foaming head.

The smell is not powerful, but hints at phenolic spices and a leatheriness that I often find in belgian ales, with some noticeble malt and a definite yeasty breadiness.

It is sweetish to the taste, but lightly so, with the high alcohol balancing the malt. No hoppy flavors.

For the high alcohol content it is easy to drink, going down smoothly.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12 oz into a Duvel glass. Beer fizzes over the neck as soon as I open the bottle. Pours a dark dark brown with reddish highlights and a large mocha head which lasts only briefly. It does look nice.

Smell is...not what I was expecting. I'm not getting the spice or the dark fruits. What I am getting is...bannana? Bready, biscuity, yes.

I assume that this is more from my expectations after that aroma, but this tastes like a dunkelweizen to me. A flat, bland one. Not bad, but if I want this taste, I have 3 dunkelweizens I'd take over this any day.

Mouthfeel is OK. Low carbination and a bit thin, but the alcohol is completely masked, making the drinkability of this quite good.

Well, this was my second offering from Unibroue, and while I did like this much more than the Fin du Monde, it will probably be my last. I'm just not feeling what makes these beers so desireable to most. Again, not bad, just not my thing.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

341ml bottle

Pours a cola-like colour with a fairly large head. The head eventually settles to about .5 centimetres and doesn't change from there. While pouring I was able to pick up on the fruitiness of the beer right away. The smell also appeared to contain some spice maybe pepper or cinnamon.

As expected the taste corresponds to the smell. The taste is well balanced and the alcohol is hidden.

The carbonation is moderate and is pleasant on the mouth.

Good beer, I would have a few subject to the ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance is a dark reddish-brown with a big tan head that goes down a bit but lasts throughout. The smell is sweet and fruity and reminds me of red wine. The taste is complex and also reminiscent of red wine. Sweet dark fruits like cherries and figs are evident. I can barely taste the alcohol. A very, very tasty beer. Mouthfeel is carbonated but goes down velvety smooth. This is a very drinkable beer, especially for its ABV. Overall, this is another excellent offering from Unibroue. I love this brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Beads of carbonation form a lining at the bottom of the glass and then subside to reveal an opaque earthy dark brown liquid with orange tinges. The initially large head subdues to little more than a thin ring. Smells are suggestive of toast, dark fruit and raisins with a distinct hint of black pepper. Sweet caramel and molasses is first to hit the tongue, and is then rounded out with some dark candied fruit and spiciness in the middle. The flavors meld into a long warming finish that is reminiscent of tawny port (as accurately described on the bottle). A slick mouthfeel and very smooth for its hidden strength.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Deep copper color, with 2 finger head that fades to cm ring, a
good bit of lacing left behind

S- Plums spiced with cloves seems to overshadow everything else,
with hints of cinnamon, brown sugar, and pears

T- Similar to the smell- plums, cloves, hint of brown sugar, finishes
with pears and a citrus tang

M- Medium-heavy body- good bit of carbonation, a bit of stickiness
lingers

D- For a dark Belgian ale, this went down quite easily, a very
drinkable beer to be savored slowly

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle 3/13/09 freshness date

A: Pours a dark burgandy with a big frothy head that casually subsides to a small bubbly layer. No lacing.

S: Big smell with fruity esters, bready malt aroms, spice, and a bit of a red wine aroma.

T: A strong taste of dark fruits and spice. No alcoholic taste here.

M: Full-bodied with a long finish. A bit too fizzy for my taste.

D: One of my first craft beers and still a favorite. A great beer at a good price that is readily available. Can't beat that.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue