Join our email list →

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,970 | Hads: 4,749

This is so Fing good, This Belgian Dark ale is better than the ones from Belgium and that's sayin somthin... This is for sure a world class beer and it's in my to ten favorite beer

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a dark, dark amber brown with single finger of off-white to tan head that disperses quickly. Fine lacing that seems to run away quickly. If you didn't hold it up to the light you'd think it was cola.

S: Grassy and little herbacous. I smell a little sweet cherry and a hint of milk chocolate.

T: Spicy and mildly sweet. Tastes faintly of cherry, some medicinal qualities come through that seem to throw it in to cough medicine territory. Hints of chocolate and light grassy hops. Esters are abound, and the alcoholic notes come through as if you car-bombed the glass with a shot of vodka.

M: Medium bodied and crisp. A lot more carbonated than the appearance in the glass would lead you to believe. Somewhat creamy, and slightly dry at the end.

D: I'm having trouble getting through my first one without getting buzzed. While it's medium bodied, I find it slightly less drinkable as the alcohol isn't quite as hidden as other offerings from Unibrou (such as La Fin Du Monde). However, it's crisp, refreshing, and I'd gladly crack open a second one... But that's it!

Notes: If it walks like a Belgian and talks like a Belgian, it may still may not necessarily be a Belgian. Like other Unibroue selections, it has surprised me with it's fantastic representation of the style. Dangerously drinkable, even if a tad strong.
Delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It pours a very dark brown colour with a two finger brown head

S: It has a very yeasty and malty smell; however, some fruits are also present

T: The malts are very strong at first, and then fruits take over. It tastes like grapes are the strongest but not dominant. It goes down very smooth and leaves a dry, bitter aftertaste

M: This has a heavy body with average amounts of carbonation.

O: This is pretty good, as expected since it is brewed by Unibroue. It is quite unique tasting and I will definitely buy it again, but it isn’t quite as good as its brother, La Fin Du Monde.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 750 mL bottle this poured a dark brown. The smell was of citrus and fresh fruit. Carbonation was sharp like Champagne. The taste was oak-y and nutty with hints of freshness and citrus that the smell suggested. While still being a strong dark ale, this feels lighter than and crisper than others.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown, hint of ruby, thin laced head.

S - Malt and dark fruit, mild sweet grass, light roasted grains subtle yeast.

T - Very nice. Alcohol well hidden with complex and balanced malt and dark raisin. Almost perfect finish.

F - Medium carbonation, nice thick mouth feel but still refreshing.

O - The sum of the parts add to whole in this case. Excellent complex, balanced and enjoyable beer. I will be buying this unique Belgian again and advising my friends to give it a try.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750 ml corked bottle.

The beer is a dark brown, with a substantial, active, light brown head that leaves noticeable lacing. Beautiful beer! The smell is of sweet, rich fruit with a little bit of spice. The taste is balanced, sweet up front with a wonderful lingering aftertaste that I can't quite place. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but adequate. Drinkability is high for a strong beer. I will have no problem finishing the bottle.

Overall, this is a great interpretation of strong belgain ale. Unibroue makes a number of excellent ales, and this is one of them.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Hello to the waitress in SFO who served me this beer at Rose Pistole. First of all it's not 2 pints it 750ml. That would be 1.59 pints. And another thing. Please don't pour the friggin sediment at the bottom of my glass. Thanks Micheal!

Ok, seriously. This is a pretty dam good brew considering it's not from Belgium but Quebec. (insert french joke here) It's very smooth, nice head but not extreme like Duval. The flavor is sweet and yummy but I can't help think it does not have the complexities of some of the brews from Belgium.

I'll definitely look to buy this again but I still feel it has a way to go to be at the table with it's Belgium brothers.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

The colour is a very dark reddish brown. opaque mostly, with some dark ruby colour. a thin head that lasts throughout (enormous head initially, when poured in a Duvel glass). nose of cherries, raisins and some alcohol. like christmas pudding! mouthfeel is medium light and crisp with a maltiness that is balanced by acidity more than bitterness. there is a finish like orange juice with spice and chocolate notes.

overall very very good, but best shared. the opposite of a session beer. although i've had this beer many times, it always surprises and delights.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle from a Unibroue sampler pack. It has a twist-off cap! Geeze...
Anyway
This beer pours a very dark amber..almost opaque in my chalice glass. Little head that quickly goes away leaving a nice, small foamy sliver of head for the duration of the drink. Smells slightly berry, definite malt, citrusy yeast.
Tastes quite good. Starts off bright and fruity, quickly moving to a more malty, sweet mellowness. Finishes dry and yeasty. Very good. This tastes quite a bit like the Trader Joe's Vintage ale, which I believe is brewed by Unibroue as well.
Mouthfeel is nice, good amount of carbonation and balance overall.
Drinkability is good. I had the 12oz and wished for the 750ml. Given the high abv and fairly high maltiness though, it would be tough to drink a lot of this...it's pretty heavy.
Overall it's a great beer and a very good dark ale. So far I've liked everything I've tried from Unibroue.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Fermented on the lees this dark ale has immensely enjoyable creamy mouthfeel. At 9% it doesn't taste like it. Aroma has a hint of grape and it pours dark with a hint of ruby which belies its port wine flavors in the finish. Great beer I enjoyed every drop and it was gone all too quickly.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another master craft Belgian from Unibroue...if you have had anything else from them this will not disappoint. If this is your first Unibroue you will be impressed.
Smells of dark fruit and sweetness...maybe a little molasses and prunes
Taste is everything you want in a dark Belgian strong...sweet, smooth with a little spicy bite...dry finish...super easy to drink for a 9%'r...dangerous and delicious!

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a dark mahogany color with a quickly dissipating head. I was quickly hit with fruity esters which seemed to overwhelm a backdrop of maltiness. It has a sour aftertaste with no hop presence. Very crisp carbonation that settles nicely. For a dark ale it is not overpowered with malty sweetness but rather more subtle fruit essence. As the label says "remarkably mellow".

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured this into my Taylor Guitars tulip glass. It had this kinda purplish color with a head that reminded me of the tops of the waves off the beach at Avalon, NJ. The bubbles tickled my nose. I could imagine myself breathing the clean air of Quebec as its fruity aroma stimulated every olfactory fiber in my rather ample proboscus. After the fourth one, I thought I was Robert Lansing in "Twelve O'Clock High", or maybe John Wayne.
Seriously, it was freakin' excellent. Nice, slightly fruity taste, just the right level of sweetness. I got this as part of their sampler case (La Fin du Monde, Maudite, and that strange apple stuff-think the wit beer woulda been the better fourth beer) for about $45 US at that famous and very large beer distributor in Emmaus, PA.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

this is a bottle that i have had in my cellar for a year, and i'm enjoying it out of my chimay goblet.

A - beautiful deep, warm coffee color with a fat pancake head

S - mellow spiced, dried fruit. the effect? think about when a cartoon character would float along the wafting aroma of a cooling pie

T - slightly sweet and dark; warm and complex

M - perfect, imho

D - i am a big fan of this beer, and though this has only aged for a year, it has added quite a bit, creating a wonderfully rounded brew.

forgive me for not spending any more time describing the tastes and smells of this bottle. i am pairing this with some rembrandt aged gouda and the combination is really fantastic. if you've never had this beer, all i can say is that it is the best digestible bargain on the planet (the sticker on my bottle shows i picked it up last year at world market for $5.99!). after the first sip i started planning on picking up more bottles and putting them away in my cellar. enjoy!

4.87/5  rDev +16%

750ml Bottle. Poured into goblet style glass. 3 finger head developed but quickly dissipated into lacing that lasts until finished. Smell: Plums. Definitely plummy. Taste: Cannot describe. Palate not refined enough, but...Very damned good. Mouthfeel: I'd agree that it's harsh. Not bad though. I'd definitely bring a few bottles of this to a family gathering.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the first beer of this style I've had, being a belgian white drink this beer was very dark for me...it was REALLY good though!

Very fruity and sweet and malty.
Goes down very smooth. There wasnt a very strong alcohol taste at all.
I was really happy with this beer and would definately get it again and recomend it to people.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Trois Pistoles is one of my favorite strong beers. It reminds me of caramel, grapes, figs, with malt thrown in for good measure. Has some hop character but doesn't beat you over the head with it. Has a nice brown appearance decanted. Smells wonderful with a a bakery appearance in the smell. Smells like Banana nut bread with some malty notes. Tastes like caramel, figs, bread, hops, and a smooth finish. This beer's alcohol content is very deceptive as it is so mellow. It's easy to drink for a high ABV beer and demands slow sipping to appreciate it's qualities. It grows on you in a quiet way. Subtle and powerful, feline in quality. Mellow and relaxing on the other hand. Complex and rich and better with experience. One of the finest ales extant.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

well there is nooo head on this thing but for a bottle conditioned beer there is alot of carbonation on the side. looks like dr pepper lol, which from what ive had is pretty unique.

the smell is amazing. sweet and fruity and can just barely smell the alcohol.

the taste is also sweet and fruity with a smooth maltiness in the background. honestly i can see similarities in the new belgium trippel. delicious!

the mouthfeel is very carbonated and pretty smooth.

the drinkability is great for the alcohol percentage

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Trois Pistoles was my first encounter with Unibroue and Dark Ale but it will not be my last. I just picked up some Terrible.

12 oz bottle served in a goblet

A: Dark amber color, nice head
S: Strong smell of malt
T: Wow. After the second drink it begins to taste smooth but it has a strong malty flavor.
D: Strong at first but smoothes out and builds in flavor. Very strong beer, hard not to want another.

3.07/5  rDev -26.9%

With me being a big fan on Unibroue, i really wanted to try this beer. I was happy to see when i was pouring a nice dark ale, or what i thought. I smelled some yeast, so i was really geared up to drink this. It took about 15 mins to pour the bottle with letting the head to settle down,but when i took my first sip, all i tasted was fruit, which made it somewhat hard for me to drink, since i am not that big on fruity beers. Very strong peppery flavour. I only sampled one of these 750ml corked bottles, right when i was starting to try belgian-style brews. I will try this again, and possibly re-do the entire review. But for the people who love fruit beers, grab this one right away.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from tap into matching glass at the Stumbling Monk, Seattle. Pitch black with two fingers of dark coffe head, lacing stays till the end.

Smells suprisingly fruity, alcohol very present, finishes with malty, doughy, mapley goodness, i'm exicted.

Sharp spicy/tart/dry fruitiness up front leads into malty/vanilla finish with a very present and a little overdominating alcohol burn.

Smooth and creamy in mouth, suprisingly light carbonation. Once again alcohol burn dominates towards the end.

Overall another good beer from Unibroue, although not my favorite.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

a very dark beer, smells of dates and figs and raisins and all kinds of sweet things.

just dances on my palate, tastes weet with a tapioka like texture.

sooo good cant explain the taste though, mixture of a divine alchemy.

it is definately a sipper, after taste of pork and egg dish,

very citrousy

love it

amen

4.58/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle to snifter.

I don't know what to say except I have a new favorite. This beer is simply outstanding in my mind. More like a fine wine then a beer actually.

Upon opening the nose is treated with a slightly alcoholic smell paired with ripe fruit and spices. Pours a gorgeous dark brown with easily a 2 finger tan creamy foam head.

**be sure to try this slightly warm as the flavours truly develop when warmed**

First taste brings on spice and fruit, carries on a very warming feel to the mouth. The snifter, I think brings out a depth of flavour that would be lost in a normal pint glass. Simply delightful as I continued to drink the beer. If you hold it in your mouth a bit you find a caramel flavour enveloping the tongue with the small bubbles as they dissipate across the mouth.

Easily a drinkable beer with a meal or just sitting around enjoying the company of friends. The Unibroue site has a pairing section for this and their other beers, but really a good glass and some friendly conversation would work for me!!

Excellent.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer was a second choice after my first choice was sold out. However, i was happily surprised with the texture of the beer and the underlying flavors that ranged from a sweet malt to a wine-like finish with hints of fruits. However, not in the sense of a beer brewed with fruit, rather a more distinct character and texture that I have not seen replicated since then.

Its not my favorite, but would gain a recommendation for sure. My only complaint is that the flavor is so prevalent and "unique" that it does not go well with too many foods, and drinkability is diminished.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

I pored this 750ml bottle for a myself and a friend. After the initial pour, the thick head continued to swell, overflowing all over the coffee table. Cleaning up the mess, I noticed the malty, dark, almost sticky sweet murky odor. The lacing remained crusted on the glass until I scrubbed it the next day. The table had a sticky feel the next morning. It tasted malty-sweet, slightly like cherries, or even cherry flavored cough syrup. It also reminded me of sourdough bread, thick and bready, with that sour, mulch-like taste. The high alcohol content knocked me on my ass, and there were no seconds! Not for the meek.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue