Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,931 | Hads: 4,602
2.03/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The reputation brought this beer to my home. I found it to be repugnant. Very little carbonation, boozy, wine like finish. It tasted like old cellar stored raisin wine. Maybe because I am in Hawaii but I found it to be putrid. (227 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Absolutely one of my favorites... the milestone for all belgian beer, even though it's French-Canadian. The contrast of dark Belgian trippel-esk notes and almost bavarian wheat estery-hints add for a complex experience that is best paired with sweet duck or and rich non-chocolate desert... I'm salivating
Oh, and by the way... it's 9 % Alchohol... The folks over at UNIBROUE are alcohol magicians. Definitely try the Trois Pistoles siblings who don't quite offer the fruit complexity, but can hide up to 12% ABV like it was a dirty magazine. (543 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Well, to be frank, it's pretty average looking. Cloudy, brown with little head or head retention. However, it does throw down some nice lacing. I should point out that the head formation, retention and lacing varied greatly in the 6 bottles in my 6 pack. A couple formed very nice heads/lacing, and a couple poured out like they were barely carbonated. The remaining 2 were somewhere in the middle. However, the carbonation was about equivalent in regards to mouthfeel in all of them.

S - Wow. Nice. One of the nicer beers I've smelled. Dark fruit character balanced by alcohol gives it a rich aroma. I have poor sense of smell, and this stuff smelled great.

T - Take "La Fin Du Monde" and swap out the cloves and spice for dark fruit and you've got Trois Pistoles. That's a good thing. There's a strong malty flavour (as I guess should be expected) with just a bit of earthy bitterness (and I mean a very little bit) that does enough to keep everything in check and leave a nice dry feeling on the palate. The aftertaste is outstanding as well. That clean, dry earthiness sticks around making sure each sip is as sweet as the last. Seems like a small deal, but for me personally, a beer this rich can wear on me fast, and this one does a great job of preventing that from getting overwhelming.

M - A little thinner than I would have liked, and I think a little thin for the style.

D - Conversely to it's mouthfeel, the lightness of it enhances it's drinkability. I could easily drink a few of these in a session. At 9% ABV, that's a little concerning!

Notes:

Damn. Unibroue is just killer. I want to drive out there and give them all a sincere hug. This beer to me really does seem like Fin's cousin. I guess that should be expected. I think it should also be appreciated. The fact that I can get it from "The Beer Store" in 6's makes it a highly rated "go to" beer for me now, because frankly, I couldn't care less about it's appearance. (1,991 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from 750ml bottle to stout glass.

A - dark reddish-brown, slightly cloudy, with a finger-height head white color. Small carbonation bubbles

S- grape musk

T - grape, almost like a wine. Can't really think of a good pairing fr food.

M - medium carbonation, really lingers on the back pallet for a while.

D - very drinkable. (333 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Dark red-brown that is opaque. Big fluffy white head that disappears fairly quickly. Some lacing.

Smell: Smells like a typical belgian dark ale with a very nice ripe fruit aroma.

Taste: No alcohol taste whatsoever is surprising for a 9% beer. Typical belgian dark ale taste plus a little spiciness like nutmeg and the ripe fruit aroma is present in the taste as well although not as pronounced. Tastes like La Fin Du Monde but not as flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation with a flavor that really coats the entire mouth and lingers for a while.

Overall: Great beer overall. I love the strong fruit aroma because it does not smell fake. 3.9/5. (713 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Sweet smelling and pruney tasting, this "strong dark ale" certainly lives up to its billing in the alcohol department but loses some points in its body (carbonation, for example, is lost and the beer seems just a little too thin on the palate). Hops are missing in all the syrupiness making it seem a bit medicinal on the aftertaste.

Still, it is lovely to look at as it pours to a caramel color that is nearly red. Most definitely an after dinner beer: I wouldn't imagine including it in a session.

Not bad, but I won't readily seek it out. (548 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Slightly transparent dark brown; pours to a nice inch deep foamy head. Cloudy in appearance, bottle fermented

S - You can smell malts and fruit, very fragrant. You can occasionally smell a hint of alcohol. Not unexpected for a beer with a 9% ABV level

T - complex! Fruits and spices and malt rushing to your taste buds all at once. Alcohol is very apparent in the taste as well. Personally, a bit too much in my opinion. The one drawback for this beer.

M - Full-bodied with loads of carbonation. A familiar trait with Unibroue beers.

O - A great beer, lots of flavor. I have always enjoyed the bottle fermented Belgian style beers. Level of alcohol isn't masked very well and does take away from overall enjoyment. (722 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a wide mouthed glass.

A: Dark amber tones with some orange highlights on the edge. The head is light, lacy and filled with tiny effervescent bubbles. Head breaks down within a minute or so. Nice delicate lace pattern to it once broken down.

S: Yeast, some fruit, maybe a bit of plum as well. Very restrained fruit smell.

T: Definite spice taste, a bit too much quite possibly without an additional counter. Finishes nicely, just a touch of warmth. Fruit is restrained.

M :Crisp feel, slight afterburn to the palate after swallowing.

D: A good tasting beer, I couldn't spend an evening with it but nice for a conversation. The warmth becomes more present after the first glass. Body is nice, but not great, flavor is very good, but something needs to tie the flavors together better... (817 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

got this beer in NJ a few months ago, says it is best before 5-5-12

poured into a DFH snifter

A - poured dark brown like a coke, but with a big head that doesn't fade very quick. lots of bubbles on this puppy

S - Champagne is the smell i keep getting from this, even from the moment i opened the bottle it smelled like a freshly popped bottle of champagne. Not smelling much else.

T - taste is great, very complex with that champagne subtlety but much more like a beer (obviously), must be the natural carbonation. Unfortunately i am getting a metalic taste somewhere in there, slightly disappointed there.

M - very carbonated, i appreciate the natural carbonation and the "real ale" style from bottle fermentation, but it's not quite up to par with other "real ales" that i have tried. Still the mouthfeel is pleasant and has a long after taste which is good in my book.

D - with a 750ml it takes a while to drink with appreciation, i would say this is a great beer to have on a special day, not something to break open on any old night. i would definitely drink this again, but honestly i would not go out of my way to get a hold of another bottle.

overall this was a good beer, but not top notch and unfortunately i was slightly disappointed in it, i was expecting much more, but still this was a good drink, and i enjoyed it. (1,340 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Deep Roasted reddish brown with a creamy khaki head.

S: Fruit, Malt, Roasted, fruit, yeast, sorta nutty.

T: Now thats something special! yeast, Roasted malt,

M: Perfect. Carbonation is right on for me, not dry or wet on the pallet.

D: Good with seafood or a steak meal, or just a few by its's self. (308 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Plums, raisins, flowery notes and burned sugar in the aroma.
Hazy Bordeaux color with a stable creamy head.
Indeed a fruity Port flavor, dusty notes in the aftertaste.
Surprisingly light body , dry but a bit fizzy mouthfeel - this makes the beer seem lighter than it really is... (283 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Unibroue goblet.

Deep mahogany color, a solid inch of pale tan head which slowly collapsed.

Smells absolutely fantastic, dark sweet fruit with noticeable maltiness.

Quite sweet, plum and other fruit all over the place, alcohol is nice and warming, but not overbearing for a 9% beer. Mild bitterness, finishes estery and tasting like port.

Smooth, almost creamy, full of carbonation with keeps it from feeling heavy as it slides through the mouth effortlessly.

Absolutely delicious, and perhaps my favorite beer ever. I'd drink it all the time if I could, but it's strong and a little on the expensive side. (649 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

(For the record, I am probably DISGUSTINGLY biased toward this beer, only because I am a fan. I have NO affiliation with anyone who sells it or makes it.)

After Abita's Abbey and New Holland's Black Tulip today, I was not satisfied enough- I had to go back for some of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles.

This, I think, is my favorite, aside from St. Bernardus ABT 12.

Trois Pistoles is classic. It LOOKS amazing. DARK brown/black with very little transparency, with the exception of holding it directly under light. It froths up a bit on the pour and is heavily carbonated, which i love. Like a coke a cola but sooo much better. This is a beer you can HEAR.

It smells beautiful, with a PILE of clove scent that makes me weak. Seriously. I love this beer. It consistently smells fresh, malty, and is amazing.

The taste kills me. In the best way. This is my standby, and if a bar sells it in Chicago, I probably go there or would love to go there.

Mouth feel is exceptional. I am giving it a 4.5 hoping that there is something out there somewhere that tastes/feels better.

Super easy and delicious to drink. If you haven't tried this yet, you are missing out. It is easily my favorite beer, with St. Bernardus in a dead heat.

ENJOY. (1,234 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -45.3%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a pretty dark and bold brown with a white head that disappears in a hurry. The scent is strong of fruits and spices. It also gives you the hint that it'll have a strong alcohol flavor. The taste is of strong spiciness, alcohol and some fruity sweetness. A combination that was hot, boozy and just didn't work at all for me. The mouthfeel was medium with more carbonation than I expect from this style. I typically really enjoy BSDAs and Quads but this is not one that I would recommend to my friends. (527 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -32%

This beer was a disappointment to me for a variety of reasons. I really love the Unibroue brewery and every other beer I've had from them thus far, so its safe to say I was pumped up to try Trois Pistoles when it found its way into our beer store.

It poured great, a dark red/brown color and headed up wonderfully.

The smell was very sweet and extremely fruity.

However, once I tasted it my excitement ended. In my opinion this tastes like an overspiced christmas ale. The spices absolutely cover the taste of the beer. One of the few beers I've been unable to finish.

It was very thick in the mouth and in combination with the taste, was very un-enjoyable.

Overall, I'm sure this beer will have a following, but I am afraid that I will not be counted in it.

Serving Type: Bottle (788 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Look, Smell, and Taste were all rated at 4.5 The feel I only gave it 2 due to the over-carbonation (too fizzy). That was the initial taste and letting it sit for a while. (174 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have to give BA credit for introducing me to Unibroue. Trois Pistoles was the first Unibroue offering that I tried. Dark color, creamy head, multi fruit flavor, belgian strong ale is becoming a new favorite. (209 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

750 ML bottle given to me from my brother.

Muddy brown pour with dark brown head which dissipates quickly. A wonderful smell of citrus hops and notes of banana and oats.

The flavor follows the aroma, as complex flavors initially bite, and mellow to a smooth aftertaste. 9%, but the alcohol taste is masked well. Definately a beer to try, to sip on, to enjoy. I'd drink it again. (385 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a very dark brown, VERY dark, nearly black but you can still easily see light through it. Very thin head, off white/light tan color, leaves some lacing on glass.

Smell is hard to hit. At first it smells like orange juice, but other fruits break through: cherries, raisins, dates or figs possible. Trois Pistoles smells wonderful.

Taste is great, nearly as it smells. Very light achohol taste breaks through at the end. Not much bitterness and the after taste is nice.

Mouthfeel set me off abit. Far too over carbonated. This is like warm 7-Up in the middle of summer carbonation. If this wasn't so carbonated it would have been the best Belgian strong ale out there, but like all the Belgian strong ales its far too carbonated. If you love carbonations though this is you ticket.

Easy to drink, once the carbonation is gone. Its a great beer, just for $9 a bottle (Albertsons) I won't frequent it often, too bad cause if it was cheaper I would by alot more of it. (975 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Trois Pistoles is a deep brown color, almost black except for around the edges. Off-white head transitions nicely into a moderate head and patchy lacing. Smells of wet malts, some zesty citrus hops. Bitter yeast scents and dark fruits. Taste is spicy and alcoholic is hot. Some sweet plums and cherries but the bitter hops keep this under control. The hops are very zesty and herbal but the aftertaste is bitter.Mouthfeel could use to be a little smoother. The alcohol is very prevelent and this takes away from the drinkability. This is a belgian strong dark that represents the style very well although I did wish Trois Pistoles was a little more balanced. (658 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

A. Nice cola color pour with a root beer-like head that recedes timely

S. Deep malt/yeasty/cocoa...not as overall intriguing as I had hoped.

T. More depth than I thought based on the smell...you notice the alcohol with yeasty tang, get some malty chocolate baking kinda baking with dark fruit notes...

M. Not overly carbonated, not too sharp considering the ABV, and no lingering heavyness.

D. Far too easy...it doesn't hold you down...on tap I'd be in trouble! (467 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Poured a deep brown amber color with a three finger head.
Smelled sort of light and with vanilla and caramel notes.
Tasted caramel a little banana but not unpleasant maybe a bit of cream
Felt really really smooth barely taste the alcohol
A very well made beer. A little cleaner than Raison. After drinking this for a little while all I could taste was banana. A little annoyed that I picked up on that. (404 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Pours a dark ruby brown that is clouded by the yeast. It has a big, fizzy head that dies quickly. No apparent lacing. I do not usually comment on the labeling of beers, but I love the way this bottle looks. From the label art to the lettering to the foil cover over the cap, I purchased this with the full expectation that it would be a worthwhile experience. Unibroue did not let me down.

S--The alcohol is very present with a hefty sniff. Dried cherries and a big smack of malt make an appearance, followed by a port wine finish (as mentioned on the bottle and several other reviews).

T--Deliciously complex...spiced rum, cocoa, and--at the expense of sounding completely far-fetched--cinnamon rolls. It's got this exquisite combination of sweet bread and spice that reminds me exactly of cinnamon rolls (I have found my new breakfast beer!). It finishes with a moderately dry kick from the alcohol, just to remind you that you are not, in fact, consuming an actual cinnamon roll.

M--For a strong Belgian, this was surprisingly effervescent. Similarly, it's not as thick as you would expect, considering its color, ABV, and style. I love the uniqueness, but it occasionally distracted from the taste (especially with the first few sips--after it warmed a little bit, the carbonation was less noticeable).

Overall--This was my first encounter with Unibroue's stuff, and I'm hooked. It deviates from the traditional Belgian style just enough to grab your attention, but without coming off as a genre-bending Frankenbeer. This is one of those beers that you can instantly identify as having received detailed attention from the brewer. I would classify it more as a dessert beer to be enjoyed exclusively by itself, but I'm sure it would pair well with a meal due to the complexity of flavors. (1,800 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up a 750mL bottle by chance at the local liquor store. Served in a hollow-based tulip glass.

Appearance- Dark and sinister as the label suggests. This beer pours with a intriguing, full-sized, light tan coloured head which dissipates quickly to leave a lingering epidermis of sinful bubbles ready to be pierced by the blade of your thirst.

Smell- I must admit, I was hoping for this beer to really enrapture that sense that is most strongly linked to memory. But, in years to come... I'm afraid I may forget the details of this well-crafted beer. I find it difficult to pin down exactly what I get out of the aroma here... A touch of hops, almost (but not entirely) smothered in an abundance of sweetness and a dark aroma unique to this beer. Although this ale is rated at a sobriety breaking 9% ABV, not a tinge of alcohol comes through on the nose.

Taste- If in heaven you drink fine wine, and in Hell you drink this.... Please, throw me into the fiery depths of Dante's Inferno because this brew is worth it. Sinister dark malts plague your taste buds, followed by a warmth of alcohol that doesn't even touch your palate... Nay! It only presents it's warmth after it has decended down your esophageas.

Mouthfeel- I feel that this is the area that most deserves improvement with this beer. It is a bit too tingly and carbonated for my taste, but it may have been exactly what the creators were aiming for. Who am I, but a mere mortal to judge the hellish intent of the brewmaster at Unibraue!?

Drinkability- Whilst writing this masterpiece of a beer review, I have become increasingly intoxicated by this furtive ale. A tribute that this is not a beer to be taken lightly. However, it is astonishingly refreshing and drinkable considering the complexity and evil intent of this beer.

If you can afford the $7.99 pricetag on this beautiful temptation of the underworld... Do so of your own accord, for I am forever indebted by the intoxicating hedonistic forbidden affair. (1,998 characters)

I bought this originally as a build your own sixer.

I drink this when I want a St. Bernie's Quad, but I don't want it to be as sweet.

Which is 98% of the time.

Amazing beer, worth the price, All That.

If you have the means- I highly reccomend it. (251 characters)

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue