Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,961 | Hads: 4,706
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Fermented on the lees this dark ale has immensely enjoyable creamy mouthfeel. At 9% it doesn't taste like it. Aroma has a hint of grape and it pours dark with a hint of ruby which belies its port wine flavors in the finish. Great beer I enjoyed every drop and it was gone all too quickly.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another master craft Belgian from Unibroue...if you have had anything else from them this will not disappoint. If this is your first Unibroue you will be impressed.
Smells of dark fruit and sweetness...maybe a little molasses and prunes
Taste is everything you want in a dark Belgian strong...sweet, smooth with a little spicy bite...dry finish...super easy to drink for a 9%'r...dangerous and delicious!

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a dark mahogany color with a quickly dissipating head. I was quickly hit with fruity esters which seemed to overwhelm a backdrop of maltiness. It has a sour aftertaste with no hop presence. Very crisp carbonation that settles nicely. For a dark ale it is not overpowered with malty sweetness but rather more subtle fruit essence. As the label says "remarkably mellow".

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured this into my Taylor Guitars tulip glass. It had this kinda purplish color with a head that reminded me of the tops of the waves off the beach at Avalon, NJ. The bubbles tickled my nose. I could imagine myself breathing the clean air of Quebec as its fruity aroma stimulated every olfactory fiber in my rather ample proboscus. After the fourth one, I thought I was Robert Lansing in "Twelve O'Clock High", or maybe John Wayne.
Seriously, it was freakin' excellent. Nice, slightly fruity taste, just the right level of sweetness. I got this as part of their sampler case (La Fin du Monde, Maudite, and that strange apple stuff-think the wit beer woulda been the better fourth beer) for about $45 US at that famous and very large beer distributor in Emmaus, PA.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

this is a bottle that i have had in my cellar for a year, and i'm enjoying it out of my chimay goblet.

A - beautiful deep, warm coffee color with a fat pancake head

S - mellow spiced, dried fruit. the effect? think about when a cartoon character would float along the wafting aroma of a cooling pie

T - slightly sweet and dark; warm and complex

M - perfect, imho

D - i am a big fan of this beer, and though this has only aged for a year, it has added quite a bit, creating a wonderfully rounded brew.

forgive me for not spending any more time describing the tastes and smells of this bottle. i am pairing this with some rembrandt aged gouda and the combination is really fantastic. if you've never had this beer, all i can say is that it is the best digestible bargain on the planet (the sticker on my bottle shows i picked it up last year at world market for $5.99!). after the first sip i started planning on picking up more bottles and putting them away in my cellar. enjoy!

4.87/5  rDev +16%

750ml Bottle. Poured into goblet style glass. 3 finger head developed but quickly dissipated into lacing that lasts until finished. Smell: Plums. Definitely plummy. Taste: Cannot describe. Palate not refined enough, but...Very damned good. Mouthfeel: I'd agree that it's harsh. Not bad though. I'd definitely bring a few bottles of this to a family gathering.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the first beer of this style I've had, being a belgian white drink this beer was very dark for me...it was REALLY good though!

Very fruity and sweet and malty.
Goes down very smooth. There wasnt a very strong alcohol taste at all.
I was really happy with this beer and would definately get it again and recomend it to people.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Trois Pistoles is one of my favorite strong beers. It reminds me of caramel, grapes, figs, with malt thrown in for good measure. Has some hop character but doesn't beat you over the head with it. Has a nice brown appearance decanted. Smells wonderful with a a bakery appearance in the smell. Smells like Banana nut bread with some malty notes. Tastes like caramel, figs, bread, hops, and a smooth finish. This beer's alcohol content is very deceptive as it is so mellow. It's easy to drink for a high ABV beer and demands slow sipping to appreciate it's qualities. It grows on you in a quiet way. Subtle and powerful, feline in quality. Mellow and relaxing on the other hand. Complex and rich and better with experience. One of the finest ales extant.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

well there is nooo head on this thing but for a bottle conditioned beer there is alot of carbonation on the side. looks like dr pepper lol, which from what ive had is pretty unique.

the smell is amazing. sweet and fruity and can just barely smell the alcohol.

the taste is also sweet and fruity with a smooth maltiness in the background. honestly i can see similarities in the new belgium trippel. delicious!

the mouthfeel is very carbonated and pretty smooth.

the drinkability is great for the alcohol percentage

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Trois Pistoles was my first encounter with Unibroue and Dark Ale but it will not be my last. I just picked up some Terrible.

12 oz bottle served in a goblet

A: Dark amber color, nice head
S: Strong smell of malt
T: Wow. After the second drink it begins to taste smooth but it has a strong malty flavor.
D: Strong at first but smoothes out and builds in flavor. Very strong beer, hard not to want another.

3.07/5  rDev -26.9%

With me being a big fan on Unibroue, i really wanted to try this beer. I was happy to see when i was pouring a nice dark ale, or what i thought. I smelled some yeast, so i was really geared up to drink this. It took about 15 mins to pour the bottle with letting the head to settle down,but when i took my first sip, all i tasted was fruit, which made it somewhat hard for me to drink, since i am not that big on fruity beers. Very strong peppery flavour. I only sampled one of these 750ml corked bottles, right when i was starting to try belgian-style brews. I will try this again, and possibly re-do the entire review. But for the people who love fruit beers, grab this one right away.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from tap into matching glass at the Stumbling Monk, Seattle. Pitch black with two fingers of dark coffe head, lacing stays till the end.

Smells suprisingly fruity, alcohol very present, finishes with malty, doughy, mapley goodness, i'm exicted.

Sharp spicy/tart/dry fruitiness up front leads into malty/vanilla finish with a very present and a little overdominating alcohol burn.

Smooth and creamy in mouth, suprisingly light carbonation. Once again alcohol burn dominates towards the end.

Overall another good beer from Unibroue, although not my favorite.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

a very dark beer, smells of dates and figs and raisins and all kinds of sweet things.

just dances on my palate, tastes weet with a tapioka like texture.

sooo good cant explain the taste though, mixture of a divine alchemy.

it is definately a sipper, after taste of pork and egg dish,

very citrousy

love it

4.58/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle to snifter.

I don't know what to say except I have a new favorite. This beer is simply outstanding in my mind. More like a fine wine then a beer actually.

Upon opening the nose is treated with a slightly alcoholic smell paired with ripe fruit and spices. Pours a gorgeous dark brown with easily a 2 finger tan creamy foam head.

**be sure to try this slightly warm as the flavours truly develop when warmed**

First taste brings on spice and fruit, carries on a very warming feel to the mouth. The snifter, I think brings out a depth of flavour that would be lost in a normal pint glass. Simply delightful as I continued to drink the beer. If you hold it in your mouth a bit you find a caramel flavour enveloping the tongue with the small bubbles as they dissipate across the mouth.

Easily a drinkable beer with a meal or just sitting around enjoying the company of friends. The Unibroue site has a pairing section for this and their other beers, but really a good glass and some friendly conversation would work for me!!

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer was a second choice after my first choice was sold out. However, i was happily surprised with the texture of the beer and the underlying flavors that ranged from a sweet malt to a wine-like finish with hints of fruits. However, not in the sense of a beer brewed with fruit, rather a more distinct character and texture that I have not seen replicated since then.

Its not my favorite, but would gain a recommendation for sure. My only complaint is that the flavor is so prevalent and "unique" that it does not go well with too many foods, and drinkability is diminished.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

I pored this 750ml bottle for a myself and a friend. After the initial pour, the thick head continued to swell, overflowing all over the coffee table. Cleaning up the mess, I noticed the malty, dark, almost sticky sweet murky odor. The lacing remained crusted on the glass until I scrubbed it the next day. The table had a sticky feel the next morning. It tasted malty-sweet, slightly like cherries, or even cherry flavored cough syrup. It also reminded me of sourdough bread, thick and bready, with that sour, mulch-like taste. The high alcohol content knocked me on my ass, and there were no seconds! Not for the meek.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

this beer is amazing, and I don't say that lightly

appearance: Dark cloudy red/brown/black depending on how much light you give it, with a light head that goes away relatively quickly. Not too thick, just a little more thick than a regular lager.

Smell: the smell was the first thing that really caught me, sweet and sparkly... definetely fruity... strawberries that has to be it!! maybe a melon of some sorts. Something even more sweet I can't put my finger on, the taste fills your mouth...

Mouthfeel: A SWEET warm aftertaste glows stronger and stronger for the first few seconds after you swallow, the beer is exceptionally creamy feeling for how light it looks and seems to flow. Bubbly on your tounge :)

Taste: I can't even note any alchohol... except for a great tinge I feel on the sides of my tounge. Defintely a beer made for the edges of your tounge, the middle does not do it justice, so swish it around carefully not to disturb it and make it bubble too much. The best taste is the sweet fuity-ness, or should I say the exquisite way the beer seems to flow from one sweet taste to the next, one gulp of this beer contains many more sweet fruits/spices than I can identify, I can identify this though... they are so good the dynamic variance of stimulation nearly overloaded me and sent a chill down my back, making me shake.

I know I'm a newbie but this has been one of the greatest beer experiances of my life... and it is still going on... I have only finished half the bottle. Now leave us alone, I have fallen in love

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle in a Chimay chalice.
A: Very dark, lucious with an overwhelmingly creamy head that settles into a beautiful lacing that stuck throughout the entire tasting. Almost caramel in richness and depth, a few shades below a cola with a developing tinge of deep orange as the chalice narrows into the stem.
S: Very much lacking. A few sniffs reveals some hints of yeast and malts but nothing else jumps out.
T: Delicious. A slight hinge of bitterness hits the front of my mouth but that completely gets washed out by the incredible complexities. Warming and flavorful without the overwhelming taste of alcohol.
M: Very smooth and airy for a beer this heavy. Dances around my tongue. Slightly tingly.
D: For a beer this high in alcohol, I was pleasantly surprised at how drinkable this was. As it settled a bit and I got nearer the bottom of my chalice, it felt a little heavier, but it was still a real treat for my mouth.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Deep copper color, with 2 finger head that fades to cm ring, a
good bit of lacing left behind

S- Plums spiced with cloves seems to overshadow everything else,
with hints of cinnamon, brown sugar, and pears

T- Similar to the smell- plums, cloves, hint of brown sugar, finishes
with pears and a citrus tang

M- Medium-heavy body- good bit of carbonation, a bit of stickiness

D- For a dark Belgian ale, this went down quite easily, a very
drinkable beer to be savored slowly

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus Chalice. Dark murdy brown, borderline black color that's translucent around the very edges and opaque in the center. Not much head retention, but I think that was my fault, not the beers. It dissipated in a way that makes me think someone in the house washed my beer glass with soap.

The smell is completely unexpected. From the color and description by Unibroue, I expected this to have a Stout-esque character, with lots of roasted aromatics. The roastiness is very faint. Initial sniff is almost Wit-esque, with a spicy, citrusy character at the front, which fades into notes of dark fruit and booze and allows a little bit of roasty, chocolatelyness in at the very end.

The taste matches the smell, with all of the aforementioned characters present, only with more emphasis on the dark fruit and booze than the spice and chocolate. Speaking of chocolate, that's what I'm eating with this beer (as per Unibroue's request) and it's an amazing pairing.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. It's slick and slippery, but has a ton of carbonation which stops it from feeling heavy.

Drinkability is initially very high. As the beer warms, the alcohol and strength of the brew become more present. This is a sipper.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Very dark brown, almost black, pour. Translucent. No head on the beer. Spicy Belgian nose with some dried fruit (raisins maybe?). Moderate alcohol up front. Lots of carbonation. Sweet fruit and some spicy Belgian finish. Bitterness afterward. Nice palette. Overall pretty good, but not my favorite Unibroue offering.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a dark cherry red. The one finger head doesn't stick around for long. Fades quickly to a thin lace.

Nose detects mostly raisin and cherry with just hint of alcohol.

Dark fruits emerge as the ale hits the tongue. Cherry, raisin, grape, even caramelized peach give way to a surprisingly warm spice. A terrific balance of tart and sweet. All in all there is a lot going on here.

There is a fun carbonation here. Feel is reminiscent of wine, but there is also a slight creamy feel. Hard to describe, but pleasing none-the-less.

Very drinkable indeed.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

dark brown/red, a little sediment... some lacing.

cloves/dates very evident in the smell, plums, too, a bit of caramel. yum, says my nose.

very balanced and mellow, alcohol is slightly present but only slightly so, and it adds to the taste. more of the date/plum aspect from the smell.

fairly carbonated but smooth; just a touch of darkness makes it very enticing.

this is a favorite of mine and i'm thankful one of my two favorite watering holes has a constant supply of bottles.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Pours a beautiful dark cherry looking color with a nice lace foam that disipates quickly to leave a thin lace.

S- yeast , some figs ,plums and alcohol.

T- Some sweetness there , nocite the 9% alcohol, dark fruits and clove.

M- Medim to high carbonation, dry finish , good overall.

D- Because its complexity , high carbonation and alcohol volume it is a one time beer to enjoy slowly for the night.Good job as usual from Unibroque brewery.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Very dark brown, good head with good retention, nice lacing.

S: Very dark sugary/fruit smells, some noticeable yeast aroma, reminiscent of a deep port.

T: Very sweet. Dark fruit tastes dominate the palate, with some subtle malt flavors and mild hop bitterness. Finishes with a nice touch of alcohol spiciness.

M: Starts out lighter than expected, medium carbonation. Finishes with a bit of a thicker feel, lingers on your tongue.

D: Very easy and pleasant to drink. Doesn't need any accompaniments. For it's dark color and high alcohol content, it's a surprisingly easy beer to drink.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue