1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Blanche De ChamblyBlanche De Chambly

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
2.44/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

This is our last beer from Unibroue. That makes me sad. They are such a successful North American Belgian brewing company. That doesn't make sense… but it does to me! They use Belgian yeast in their beers, and make some of the best beers, best Belgian beers outside of Belgium. Like Terrible. Terrible is NOT terrible, and is one of my favorite beers of all time. This is on the other end of the spectrum, and is one of the lightest beer styles on the market. This is also not my favorite style, but there is a lot of history behind this beer. I need to do more research on this Celis guy. He seems legit.

Until we started researching this beer, I was curious where they got the name. I guess it makes sense considering where they brew it and the beer style. It's all coming together now! I will give this bottle my full attention, and hope that it is better than some previous white beers I have tried. It IS an old recipe and the brewery has a lot of history. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: Hold on… give me about 10 minutes for this head to settle. I poured an inch in the glass and the entire glass filled with bubbles. Not champagne bubbles… bubble bath bubbles. When the head finally did settle, the beer reminds me of Blue Moon. The head is white and fluffy, and I am seeing nothing but tiny bubbles rushing to the top. Fingers crossed this is not a mess of carbonation.

Nose: Now that does NOT smell like a typical white beer. It almost smells "off", but I am getting a lot of the spice from the coriander. Not much citrus here… hopefully that comes off in the flavor. It actually smells good. There is a hint of dryness toward the end of the aroma. Let's taste!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I am not that impressed with the flavor. It is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, which is fine. All the flavor really comes at the end. Not much spice and the finish is there and gone again just as fast. Not that I am comparing this to beers like Blue Moon, but I would order a Blue Moon over this any day of the week. Quite frankly, this beer is boring considering all of the other beers I have had from this brewery.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice offering a hint of velvet to the experience. But just like the flavor is here and gone, the mouthfeel is just as boring. I swished around the beer that last sip, and the bubbles just overwhelmed my palate. Some additional citrus flavors came out when doing that, but you can't due to the carbonation. Again, the mouthfeel is just boring. How many times can I use the word boring in this post?

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? This beer doesn't have an aftertaste. What is lingering isn't much to write home about. There is some subtle spice flavors coming through, but that's about it. The beer isn't getting better as it heats up, either. The mouthfeel is improving, but the flavor stays the same. Again, this is just not my favorite style. Too bad there is an entire section of white beers on our list!

If you are going to buy a bottle from Unibroue, get a bottle of Terrible. You won't be sorry. I will say, if you are new to craft beer, then you need to start with a beer like this. Not this particular bottle, but a beer that is light and has subtle flavors like the coriander and the orange zest. I will stick with my Belgian darks!

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased at the LCBO as part of a mixed 6pk. Served at 4deg C in a tulip.

A- Opens well and pours a high white head that lasts and lasts. Unfiltered

S- Very good. Every bit as good as Hoegaarden.

T- Very good. Lots of yeast. Good white beer. Good aftertaste

M- Very good but very carbonated. Other than that it could use a touch more creaminess.

O- Very good white beer. It's fantastic on tap too.

Food Pairing

This wonderful white went well with..... Fish tacos!!

Enjoy

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a hazy yellow with a big puffy head that stays around for quite awhile,the aroma is very lemony with a slight smokey hint.This beer is pretty dry with some definant lemony/citruit tones,doesnt have a long finish by any means.Almost to easy to drink,a great beer to drink in the summer.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Having tasted Unibroue's Fin du Monde, I was expecting a lot out of this beer. I bought 5 liter cask on a whim, and drank it with two friends in one sitting. This is a highly drinkable beer, and a beautiful sight to behold, a glimmering golden cloud when held in the light. A very yeasty beer... especially the dregs of the cask! As far as wheat beers go, I would definitely take an Alagash White or a Hoe over this stuff. Just not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. The taste was citric, but kind of boring. It had a bit of a novelty appeal, coming in a cask, but if I had it to do all over again I'd probably just spend my money on a few big bottles of Fin du Monde, which is a better beer for its style.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – Very light and cloudy lemon yellow color with a huge, monster head that went down slowly and covered the inside of the glass with a full, spider web lacing.

Smell – Big yeast at the nose laced with a mature lemon scent. There are also some very pleasing spices in there as well. I can pick up white pepper and something sharp, like a tiny pinch of cayenne or something like that.

Taste – Excellent rendition of the style. The taste was a little lighter than I had anticipated from the smell, but the yeast is there along with a strong lemon flavor and heavy spiciness.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is full, fluffy, and very active in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down well. I would have like to have seen a little more flavor, but a good witbier nevertheless.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on tap at Beachtree Grill in Poughkeepsie NY.

Poured a cloudy light straw color with a fine white head that disapated quickly to a ring of Belgium lace around the edge. Obviously effervescent.

Nice citrusy aroma with hints of corriander and clove with faint whiffs of spicy wheat malt aroma.

Flavor hits you with a malty sweet citrusy burst of refreshing flavor that has overtones of corriander and clove. Little to no hop charecter to speak of as expected. The finish is on the dry side and has a quite pronounced Clove aftertaste that I think is slightly out of balance.

This is a great beer that I can drink plenty of, hopefully on a deck over looking the ocean or lake, on a hot summer day. A very good example of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

The head on this one reminds me more of a soda's head. Just fizzy & dies away fast, leaving no trace. Smells like it should - yeasty & citrus. Tastes how it should as well. Accurate & true to the style, but just completely lacks any "oomph." It doesnt seem to reveal any special traits or any style of its own. I really dont like the mouthfeel. Too similar to soda - fizzy, and almost gives you the "burning" sensation in your mouth, like a cheap light beer. I must say I was disappointed, and I wouldnt be too interested in trying it again.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent New World execution of the traditional Witbier. Perhaps not an ideal beer for this time of year (February) but I will be purchasing more for this coming summer without a doubt.
Initial pour reveals a gorgeous golden brew with a pillowy white head that is dense and sticky and slow to fade.
Initial taste shows a beer with a light body, dominated by a powerful almost citric crispness balanced by an excellent grain flavour. Spices come into play soon after - pepper, coriander, some dried fruit - all building off the citrus, hops and fruity yeasts. The finish is intensely dry and refeshing.
I have never tasted a Witbier from the United States that comes even close to this beer. Fabulous - a true session beer.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

A: poured a hazy straw yellow, fluffy, but soon gone white head. has good lacing that sticks it out.

S: wheaty mostly, pronounced yeast smell with some spice and citrus undertones.

T: floral and tropical, banana jumps out. it has a malt to it along with some hop bitterness. the citrus i smell is tasted minimally, but it's there. i liked it, quite enjoyably mild.

M: not bad body, a bit sticky and heavy on carbonation.

D: high point along with the taste, it went down very well and it's mild enough to not beat one to death with complexity and ABV.

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue