Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
Reviews: 994 | Hads: 2,157
4.97/5  rDev +28.8%

Simply one of my favorites beers, it poors a great pale golden color, makes a lot of brew, smells fresh and fruits, the taste is mild, calm, with some little fruit aromas, the mouthfeel is perfect. This is, to me, the perfect beer to drink while relaxing, it really worths the try. (281 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Gosh this is a great beer!

It has just enough touch of sweetness on the nose and on the palate that your non-beer drinking girlfriend will like this one.

Yet, this is no feminine beer. Served in a tulip style glass, this beer evoked class and quality throughout the sensory inputs (appearance, aroma, taste, et al).

I think this beer has broad appeal and is a great beer to have handy for when guests come over (if you can't keep from drinking it all yourself!). (465 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Pours a somewhat hazy light golden color with a frothy white head. Lots of carbonation. Light fruit aroma with notes of banana, orange, and lemon. Light and crisp in the mouth with light citrus flavors. Drinkability approaches infinity. This is one of my all-time favorite beers. I prefer the 12oz bottles over the 750ml bottles as they seem to have more flavor. (362 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +27.5%

A great brew. One of my personal favorites due to the great taste and feel. I've had it in the actual place it is brewed at, Chambly and not only is the beer good, the restaurant is exceptional. A great beer to sit down and relax with. Highly recommended! (255 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I drink this brew whenever I can, and I am fortunate enough to have a store that caries it only thirty (30) miles away, meaning that I can get it quite often.

I actually wrote this review in detailed parts at first, but I find that I kept saying, "This beer is amazing!" so I decided to cancel it out and write the simpler version. I am a Unibroue devotee, first, and I admit this with utmost pride. While there are a couple of breweries that I have wanted to try and have not yet had the opportunity, Unibroue is definitely my brewery of choice thus far, and Blanche de Chambly is no exception. In fact, I can think of no brew more satisfying on a warm day.

I will concede, though, that those who desire heavier brews will probably opt to shy away from this one, though such folk would understandably shy away from the style as a whole. It is very sweet and light.

To this point in my experience, Blanche de Chambly is a champion among witbiers from a champion among breweries. (981 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +26.9%

After searching high and low for this one, finally found a good store that had 2 four-packs left of this one... Glad I was able to find this because it is without a doubt one of the best witbier's I've ever tried... Presented with a foil wrapping covering the head of the bottle, which was an elegant introduction to this outstanding beer... The appearance was top-notch, with a true witbier cloudy / hazy color revealing a superb aroma of citrus, yeast, wheat, and coriander that was really exquisite. Taste is out-of-this world with a strong presence of the flavors listed in the aroma... goes down smooth and refreshing... mouthfeel is great - I could drink this brew all night without minding the $6.99 I paid for a four-pack... too bad this beer isn't easier to find, as I really enjoyed this one and hope to be able to locate it again... Definitely a winner and certainly recommended! (890 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

Using a special glass just for this beer. Pours a hazy, straw yellow color with a head that fades not too long after. Aroma is fruity with some hints of apple mainly and spices. Taste is spicy, crisp and goes down very smooth. Very delicious for a witbier and so very drinkable. Great for that hot day where nothing seems to quench your thirst. I would have to give this high marks for a witbier. (396 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

Notes: I realized that I over-rated this one a bit, so I corrected myself.

Another Unibroue beer that blew me away on tap! This beer was served to me at Oncle Antoines in QC . It was presented to me with a nice white colour and a fluffy white head. The aromas were more substantial on tap and not subdued at all. (which some reviewers have mentioned in their reviews of the bottled version of this brew) The aromas were of coriander, citrus, spices, yeast and belgian sugars. The taste was wonderful. This is a very citrusy white/wit beer with a nice yeastyness that really adds to the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and the drinkability is that of liquid crack!
cheers!
-F (699 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

pours a hazy golden straw color large white head fades quickly to just beer with almost no lace. aroma of pears and friut. taste apple, pears, peach, ending with a lemon tartness all mixing with wheat malt. mouthfeel very light, dry, crisp with lots of carbonation. great tasting summer wheat, light and refreshing and a good match up with summer foods. (353 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

I used a octagonal Hoegaarden glass, must be the force of habit. Poured it out quite aggressively and got a nice head as a result. Foamy snow white, but quite rough. It looked rather like a ship at see, floating on my beer.
The colour is just delicious, I want to stop writing and start drinking. A misty solid golden colour. It has some strong carbonation running through.
The beer has a strong citric odour. In the background I think I can find some nice garden spices, hops, honey and freshly harvested grains.
At first, a very fresh taste devellopes. It contains vanilla, freshly plucked garden spices, a few drops of lemon juice and hops. Then evolves in dryer tones. Still a bit sweet, resembles a honey sandwich and also the vanilla is still present. Sprinkled with lemon yuice. Very deeply hidden I feel like there is an ash note.
I think the best way to describe the mouthfeel is like custerd. It’s like a cold sweet vanilla custerd as it fills the mouth.
Very refreshing beer.

I’m falling in love with Unibroue! Needless to say more… (1,069 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best Belgian wit I've ever had. Even blows the ones directly from Belgium, right out of the water. Poured into a glass mug, slowly and surely, shook the remaining 3/4 and added all yeast and sediment into the glass. Frothy, milky head that stayed all the way throughout the drinking of this dynamite beer. Smells of fresh oranges, coriander and I get a hint of the sweet Belgian yeast as well. Lacing is super intense, almost looks like I bathed this one in a bubble bath. I would say that this is one of those beers that you should point someone to who is looking for accurate depictions on the Belgian wit style. The BJCP folks out there should study this one and disregard lesser versions like Hoegaarden that, while good, just don't stand out like this great Quebec brew. Unibroue is a force to be reckoned with and it makes an Alberta guy like me happy that this one came without the whining and crying that usually comes along with most things Quebecois! (964 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a corked 750 mL bottle into a fluted glass (as recommended by the back label of this beer)

Enchanting aroma with spices, and some citrusy notes.

Flavor is outstanding. Spot on for the style. Slightly richer than a Hoegarden, with full mouthfeel (but also very carbonated). Definitely some lemon and corriander in there. Just a little acidic prickle and maybe a tiny bit of pepperyness. Aftertaste is nice and dry with some lingering spices.

Extremely drinkable.

I like this beer a lot. Also I should add that this a tough category ratings wise, as there are so many good witbiers. The high scores for this one from me are saying a lot. (651 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent. Pours with a creamy pale golden colour, and a decent head. The nose is an impressive coriander and citrus, with a taste that follows up well. A nice slightly prickly feel in the mouth, and I could certainly drink larger quantities of this. The best Wit I've had, certainly better than Victory's Whirlwind or Hoegaarden. (334 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +21.5%

I was really surprised by this beer, it was far better than i was expecting it to be(not that Unibroue has ever ever made a bad ale).It comes out of the bottle a light ,cloudy yellowish color with a nice thick head thats lasts just a few minutes and then disappears into a thin white lace.It has a very crisp, very refreshing taste(slighty tart flavor) and has an absolutely wonderful feel to it. (396 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

WOW, Head like a fluffy white cloud, sticks to your lips like marshmellow fluff. Bubbles engulf your tongue as the brew wantingly slides down. Awesome white beer. The wife loves it (who never likes MY BEER). It is the champagne of beers. 5% ABV (248 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a large Marzen/Wheat glass. Well-chilled. Formed a large, pillowey, white head that lasted, eventually falling to a centimeter of foam over the beer. Dark straw in color, with a turbidity that is appropriate to the style. Aroma of light clove and bitter orange. The taste is of soft wheat, with the spices coming through on the finish. The mouthfeel is soft and light. This beer is a real quaffer; you can down two before you even notice it. As with most of this brewery's offerings, this is an outstanding example of a Belgian style (in this case wit or blanche de bruge) that often surpasses the Belgian beers available in this country. An excellent wit. (691 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Dogfish shaped pint.

A: Pours a completely opaque gold with a large frothy white head. My wife nailed the appearance by describing it as a "Frothy Lemonade."

S: Very perfumed. First I get a big spice smell, the coriander really coming though, also a substantial citrus peel smell. Very pleasant, if simple aroma.

T: Very nice, subtle wheat tatse. Big orange and coriander back. Has the slight "Fruity Pebble" taste beers with coriander tend to have, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It also has the signature Unibroue yeast tatse, which is a plus.

M: Smooth, extremely smooth. Very carbonated and refreshing, this is a perfect beer to have outside with lunch during a 105 degree summer day.

O: I love this beer. I love (almost) everything Unibroue makes. But what really makes this shine for me is that it's really the only sessionable beer they make. Yes, Trois Pistoles or La Fin du Monde are better beers, but you can't drink them all night at 9%. Also, I'm seriously not a fan of the Witbier style and the fact that I enjoy this so much is a credit to them. (1,101 characters)

Blanche De Chambly
Head : Good foam nice taste exccelent aroma.
Body : Nice pale straw color cloudy as per style.
Taste : Heavy sent of citrus verry crisp well carbonated.
Aftertaste : Smooth and creemy light almost begging you to have
another. (250 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +21%

A~ Dark orange color, huge head for a Witbier, a little dark for what I am used to in the style, but I like it. A good amount of carbonation right after the pour, now it seems to have calmed down a little bit.

S~ Smells very fruity, yeasty, a good amount of spices are evident. It smells very yeasty to me... maybe because of the bottle fermentation.

T~ Taste is very complex, where a ufo white, or hoegaarden seem to rely on one or two flavors, this seems to be a handful of things going on. It's a joy drinking this beer.

M~ good carbonation kind of thick, very refreshing though.

O~ I would definitely buy this again, a great tasting witbier. (649 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +21%

a - pours a murky yellow-amber; head is three fingers of fizzy white foam with moderate lacing

s - immediate odor of citrus fruits, blended with hints of coriander

t - hops are well balanced by a cool, refreshing aftertaste

m - cool and silky, with champaign-like carbonization

d - a world-class Witbier beer

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass (369 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

It pours with a great big fizzy head. The color is a yellowish-white and cloudy from the yeast. The aroma is great with citrus and bread. It's very light up front. A bit of malt sweetness. A nice undertone of honey. Around the edges is the citrus which keeps it crisp. There is also a nice breadiness, like a good white bread out of the oven. And it finishes cleanly with just a hint of honey and lemon. In the back is a bit of coriander.

The interesting thing is that this brew floats over the tongue. It feels as light as air. It makes it insanely drinkable. Everything in it is subtle yet complex. A good beer for a hot day. (628 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

That really is white! Lemon-pith white liquid looks stunning in the sunset. Rolling, whipped-cream head that is snow-white, flourescent-light white.
It smells and tastes like a super bright, super dry Hefeweizen. Where's the spice? But, it is still cold. I pause. There IS lemon candy buried in the slightly leesy nose. What kind of material is this brewed in? Oak? Cedar? Driftwood?
A little warmer now and there are sunshine and dandelions. Creamy. Steely.
Perfectly dry. It is a lemon without any sugar or sourness. Whole, chewy lemons together with some lemon tree leaves, slushed ice, and goat butter (In fact there is a goat butter from Quebec called "Domaine de Provence," I think. That's the flavor) (!) Banana begins to emerge on the nose as it gets even warmer. Not especially ripe banana. Ripe enough for that person who hates overripe bananas. No brown spots. Green at the ends. Never a hint of heavy coriander or orange or alcohol (!!!)
A real beauty and a perfect windup to a trio of top notch light beers (see Rebel and Sapporo) (1,048 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

Corked and caged 750 ML bottle. Served chilled into a Blanche de Chambly glass (I'm a geek).

Appearance: Slightly cloudy straw colored liquid. An almost volcanic head with decent retention and lacing. I've seen better lacing from wits before. It could have been a bit hazier, too. And I did agitate the bottle.

Smell: Coriander and lemon aromas are quite prominent, followed by some light malty sweetness.

Taste: Vibrant splash of coriander/pepper spiciness and lemony citrus flavors immediately followed by some sweet flavors of the wheat malt. Faint traces of other citrus flavors such as orange and grapefruit. Also faint traces of clove lingering in the background. The taste sensation is very fast, about 1-2 seconds. No appreciable aftertaste. I'd like it if the taste stuck around a little more.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean, refreshing. My mouth waters in remembrance of this beer.

Drinkability: This is probably one of the more drinkable beers I have ever had. Great session beer for hot and humid DC summers. (1,028 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Served at 40 degrees.

A: poured pale slightly hazy gold with 3/4 inch bubbly white head, beautiful

S: citrus and spice with some malt and hop notes

T: citrus, biscuit, and slight hint of spice, no hop bitterness, excellent

M: bubbly, medium full with good carbonation

D: could definitely drink more than one, high carbonation fades in mouth making it a pleasure to drink and not too filling

Outstanding beer. Will definitely be seeking this one out again. (497 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Weizen glass with a pale, cloudy golden color. Half-inch thick, white head, and minimal lacing. Has the constant stream of bubbles that I've come to love in wheat beers.

Smells a bit sweet and tangy, coriander and citrus. Perhaps some orange. Taste is great, very refreshing. Light, crisp with the lively carbonation. Mirrors my observations with the smell. Orange, coriander, yeast, wheat. Reminds me of a hefe-weizen. Mouthfeel is pretty light, carbonation like a pop drink. Goes down very smooth, no real aggressive bite but a smooth aftertaste. I'd say this is very, very drinkable. Taste is very pleasant, and I'm a fan of wheats. I'd gladly take a six of these for myself, if I weren't concerned about price. (732 characters)

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue