Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Blanche De ChamblyBlanche De Chambly

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
pioneer13

peoplewithhands

Nebraska

1.93/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Poured gold with some cloudiness starts with a thick head that disappears in minutes into a paper thin line that laces nicely as you drink.

Smell: Fruity, citrus, and sour grass with undertones of wheat and yeast

Taste: wheat stays on the tongue but my pallete soon becomes overwhelmed with lemony sour grassiness that stays.

Mouthfeel: overwhelming carbonation reminds me of perrier water

Overall: The sour grassiness and carbonation overwhelms this beer for me. I'd much prefer the complexity and bubble gum flavor of hoegaarden.

12-24-2011 00:45:20 | More by peoplewithhands

Connecticut

06-22-2012 23:27:47 | More by steph1974
largadeer

2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

My coworker gave me a Unibroue mix pack the other day and I'm slowly ticking my way through it. Let's see what we've got here.

Blanche de Chambly has a golden wheat-like color to it, hazy and unfiltered but still clear for the first pour. A finger of white head caps the body, and eventually settles to a film.

The nose is yeast-driven, spicy and citrusy, almost medicinal. Strong phenols meet a light wheat base. Coriander is overwhelming.

It tastes equally over-spiced and phenolic, coriander coming through the strongest. The mouthfeel is light bordering on watery. Mid-palate reveals a bit of raw wheat, which segues into a bland citrusy/fruity finish.

The excessive spiciness and unpleasant yeast profile make this rather hard to drink, not impressive.

09-02-2010 01:55:37 | More by largadeer
bobhits

Kentucky

2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

Nearly clear yellow color, a touch of haze, a bit of yeast floating around, a tall head without much substance, and a strong carbonated blast from the bottom of the glass.

Lemon citrus notes, apples, dry yeast, and a touch of sweet malt that's nearly gone. There's not much going on.

Unsweet apple cider, followed by yeast and a bit of sourness. The finish is fast, but not clean with a bit just unflavored stickiness that lingers.

Very drinkable, summer like beer. I can't really say much more.

Over priced? Yes. Good? Not really. A solid beer for the style but the pricing is just wrong considering how little is going on here.

04-01-2011 07:18:22 | More by bobhits
SteveP

United Kingdom (England)

2.17/5  rDev -44.2%

I poured it into the glass and drank some. Distinct lack of character.

I poured some back into the bottle, shook it hard and poured it back into my glass. Distinct lack of character.

I stirred the glass of beer vigorously for several minutes then drank it again. Distinct lack of character.

There is an awareness of a witbier aroma - slight pepper, slight clove, and slight moist air along with a hint of orange. But the taste is way too subtle to be interesting. There's a witbier lurking around here somewhere, but it's too timid to come out and play. I got some bubblegum, some spice and some wheat, but in a murky and laid back manner. Not sure what Unibroue are after here - a gentle witbier that doesn't offend anyone? I think there's a big difference between playing safe and not playing at all.

08-09-2003 18:24:43 | More by SteveP
matty

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a head that overflows your glass if you're not careful.Aroma is spicy and flowery.Taste is spices,orange peel and florals.I do not like this beer in any way.It took every shred of my will to finish it.In my book this is one step above garbage.

02-02-2009 18:30:09 | More by matty
FtownThrowDown

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Picked up a Unibroue sampler 12 pack at Jungle Jim's.
Pours a dark golden color with no head. Only a little froth around the edges. Not very good at all. Rather thin, light and a really nasty smokey flavor showing up. Tasted like it had lager characteristics. This is just bad.

03-14-2009 01:25:57 | More by FtownThrowDown
emsroth

2.35/5  rDev -39.6%

12oz bottle

App: Frothy white head. Opaque pale gold.

Smell: Sweet honey, floral and herbal hops.

Taste: Slight honey. Dry malted wheat. Herbal finish.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, slightly chewy body with a bit of a film.

A simple but bland witbier.

07-06-2010 23:58:00 | More by emsroth
smakawhat

Maryland

2.41/5  rDev -38%

Poured from the bottle into a Hoegaarden witbier tumbler glass.

A very thin but somewhat good retention white vanilla cream colored head. Body is a solid light apricot yellow to orange and with a good rising amount of carbonation. Pretty standard.

Nose has something off about it. Sharp rotting wood and bile is the only way I can describe it. It's not particularly strong, and for the most part is not that hugely noticeable. It's mostly a pretty closed smelling wit.

Palate overall is kind of odd and all over the place. Body comes out real seltzery and a quite fizzy and wet. Very little texture to this, and some good gaseous carbonation. The tip of my tongue feels like it's dipped in club soda. It really kills the chance to find something on first sip. Once it's faded only does some flavor peak out but barely. Carbon Dioxide. Faint orange and lemon on the finish. Faint hint of cream.

An overly gaseous beer that kills the palate, and the nose is off putting to unfortunately go with it. I'll be passing on this one.

03-26-2014 01:45:19 | More by smakawhat
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.42/5  rDev -37.8%

E gads man, where did this beer go wrong?

Poured out, brown/red/orange, looked unique, great lace, piqued my interest. Aroma, still kind of neat, but my first warning sign, all those smells that makes you think someone should have just got into making wine instead. Apple, banana, cinammon, etc. . .

Taste, confirms, this is like some twisted incarnation of what would happen if DFH made some fancy pants Newcastle brown ale with currant and eggplant harvested from the 3rd moon of Jupiter (i.e. weird for the sake of being weird). Just too much going on, and I realize its a classic, but just not enjoyable for me, in any sense beyond looking at and smelling it.

01-02-2010 06:04:09 | More by Beerandraiderfan
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.44/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

This is our last beer from Unibroue. That makes me sad. They are such a successful North American Belgian brewing company. That doesn't make sense… but it does to me! They use Belgian yeast in their beers, and make some of the best beers, best Belgian beers outside of Belgium. Like Terrible. Terrible is NOT terrible, and is one of my favorite beers of all time. This is on the other end of the spectrum, and is one of the lightest beer styles on the market. This is also not my favorite style, but there is a lot of history behind this beer. I need to do more research on this Celis guy. He seems legit.

Until we started researching this beer, I was curious where they got the name. I guess it makes sense considering where they brew it and the beer style. It's all coming together now! I will give this bottle my full attention, and hope that it is better than some previous white beers I have tried. It IS an old recipe and the brewery has a lot of history. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: Hold on… give me about 10 minutes for this head to settle. I poured an inch in the glass and the entire glass filled with bubbles. Not champagne bubbles… bubble bath bubbles. When the head finally did settle, the beer reminds me of Blue Moon. The head is white and fluffy, and I am seeing nothing but tiny bubbles rushing to the top. Fingers crossed this is not a mess of carbonation.

Nose: Now that does NOT smell like a typical white beer. It almost smells "off", but I am getting a lot of the spice from the coriander. Not much citrus here… hopefully that comes off in the flavor. It actually smells good. There is a hint of dryness toward the end of the aroma. Let's taste!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I am not that impressed with the flavor. It is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, which is fine. All the flavor really comes at the end. Not much spice and the finish is there and gone again just as fast. Not that I am comparing this to beers like Blue Moon, but I would order a Blue Moon over this any day of the week. Quite frankly, this beer is boring considering all of the other beers I have had from this brewery.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice offering a hint of velvet to the experience. But just like the flavor is here and gone, the mouthfeel is just as boring. I swished around the beer that last sip, and the bubbles just overwhelmed my palate. Some additional citrus flavors came out when doing that, but you can't due to the carbonation. Again, the mouthfeel is just boring. How many times can I use the word boring in this post?

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? This beer doesn't have an aftertaste. What is lingering isn't much to write home about. There is some subtle spice flavors coming through, but that's about it. The beer isn't getting better as it heats up, either. The mouthfeel is improving, but the flavor stays the same. Again, this is just not my favorite style. Too bad there is an entire section of white beers on our list!

If you are going to buy a bottle from Unibroue, get a bottle of Terrible. You won't be sorry. I will say, if you are new to craft beer, then you need to start with a beer like this. Not this particular bottle, but a beer that is light and has subtle flavors like the coriander and the orange zest. I will stick with my Belgian darks!

05-17-2013 22:30:02 | More by rickyleepotts
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A way below average Belgian Wit style beer, no head retention whatsiever, a bit cloying and sticky, you'd expect more from Unibroue.

04-05-2002 18:10:02 | More by rastaman

12-17-2011 23:49:26 | More by MaineMike
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Source/Serving: 12oz. Bottle with expiry date 2-2-2011

Smell: cider made with apples and peaches and pears... Aged, not fresh, and with faint oakiness that is reminiscent of the way it comes out in white wines. Cinnamon/clove/nutmeg spiciness that is light and is reminiscent of apple pie. Not too intense or complex.

Taste: Canned Lemon-apple fruits with a heavy punch of carbonation up front. Especially thin mouthfeel with no real 'pop' in the flavor. Not too sweet or juicy, which in light of the fact that it doesn't get too bitter at the end means that there isn't a dynamic flavor range and is pretty one-dimensional. A little too easy to drink. Does have a pleasant spiciness in the middle which is nuanced but lacks intensity. However, it does play off the slightly dry, though white wine -like, bitterness and stark graininess well. Finish is also nice with lingering orange peel and fruits, one of the highlights of this brew.

Notes: Generally disappointing beer from a very capable brewery.

09-03-2010 04:08:51 | More by 4000qtrap
gaildologuin

07-01-2014 04:51:05 | More by gaildologuin
ZinFanDave

Georgia

04-22-2012 01:22:09 | More by ZinFanDave
skillerified

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Very pale yellow. Large fizzy head that faded to nothing really fast. Lot's of big carbonation bubbles. Interesting looking, but not particularly appealing.

Smell is citrus. Almost reminds me of a lemon-lime soda. There's a hoppy spicy scent too.

Taste is kinda flat honestly. It's a wheat grain sort of taste. Closest thing I can describe it as is a hot dog bun, possibly a stale one too. Unique and not necessarily bad, but not really what I was hoping for. A little apple flavor comes as it warms.

As expected, it's close to soda. There's a strong carbonation bite that sort of hinders the rest of the mouthfeel. I'd call it light bodied. Fairly dry too.

Not really impressed with this one. I'll pass on them in the future.

01-26-2006 01:12:16 | More by skillerified
benmiliron

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

This stuff ain't bad, but ain't great either. Very smooth taste without much flavor. Very fizzy at the pour, diminishes to a chunky solid white head. This tastes like (I imagine) the macros are supposed to taste, easy drinking for damn near everyone and a bit watery. I really didn't care for it at all.

12-30-2003 20:15:32 | More by benmiliron
logansboat15

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Unibroue's version of a white pours pale amber with a cloudy yeast sediment. The powerful, vertical jet stream of tiny carbonation bubbles shooting dead center from the bottom of the glass is impressive. The aroma is crisp and tart with a sour citrus bite. The taste is light and refreshing, like a sparkling wine. Afficionados with a more sophisticated palate toward fine wines than mine will undoubtedly enjoy the delicate nature of this beer. Mouthfeel is light - similar to that of a mass produced pilsner. This beer however is clearly light years more complex than a Miller or Budweiser. It is difficult for me to judge this style as it is not one that I'm familiar with, but I can imagine that it rates well with devotees of witbiers. Blanche De Chambly pairs well with the slice of Veggie Pizza that I'm having for lunch. Very drinkable. Give it a try! My low scores reflect my unfamiliarity with the style, rather than an aversion to it.

04-17-2007 18:52:49 | More by logansboat15