2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Blanche De ChamblyBlanche De Chambly

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,682 | Reviews: 957 | Show All Ratings:
peoplewithhands

Nebraska

1.93/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Poured gold with some cloudiness starts with a thick head that disappears in minutes into a paper thin line that laces nicely as you drink.

Smell: Fruity, citrus, and sour grass with undertones of wheat and yeast

Taste: wheat stays on the tongue but my pallete soon becomes overwhelmed with lemony sour grassiness that stays.

Mouthfeel: overwhelming carbonation reminds me of perrier water

Overall: The sour grassiness and carbonation overwhelms this beer for me. I'd much prefer the complexity and bubble gum flavor of hoegaarden.

12-24-2011 00:45:20 | More by peoplewithhands
largadeer

2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

My coworker gave me a Unibroue mix pack the other day and I'm slowly ticking my way through it. Let's see what we've got here.

Blanche de Chambly has a golden wheat-like color to it, hazy and unfiltered but still clear for the first pour. A finger of white head caps the body, and eventually settles to a film.

The nose is yeast-driven, spicy and citrusy, almost medicinal. Strong phenols meet a light wheat base. Coriander is overwhelming.

It tastes equally over-spiced and phenolic, coriander coming through the strongest. The mouthfeel is light bordering on watery. Mid-palate reveals a bit of raw wheat, which segues into a bland citrusy/fruity finish.

The excessive spiciness and unpleasant yeast profile make this rather hard to drink, not impressive.

09-02-2010 01:55:37 | More by largadeer
bobhits

Kentucky

2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

Nearly clear yellow color, a touch of haze, a bit of yeast floating around, a tall head without much substance, and a strong carbonated blast from the bottom of the glass.

Lemon citrus notes, apples, dry yeast, and a touch of sweet malt that's nearly gone. There's not much going on.

Unsweet apple cider, followed by yeast and a bit of sourness. The finish is fast, but not clean with a bit just unflavored stickiness that lingers.

Very drinkable, summer like beer. I can't really say much more.

Over priced? Yes. Good? Not really. A solid beer for the style but the pricing is just wrong considering how little is going on here.

04-01-2011 07:18:22 | More by bobhits
SteveP

United Kingdom (England)

2.17/5  rDev -44.2%

I poured it into the glass and drank some. Distinct lack of character.

I poured some back into the bottle, shook it hard and poured it back into my glass. Distinct lack of character.

I stirred the glass of beer vigorously for several minutes then drank it again. Distinct lack of character.

There is an awareness of a witbier aroma - slight pepper, slight clove, and slight moist air along with a hint of orange. But the taste is way too subtle to be interesting. There's a witbier lurking around here somewhere, but it's too timid to come out and play. I got some bubblegum, some spice and some wheat, but in a murky and laid back manner. Not sure what Unibroue are after here - a gentle witbier that doesn't offend anyone? I think there's a big difference between playing safe and not playing at all.

08-09-2003 18:24:43 | More by SteveP
matty

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a head that overflows your glass if you're not careful.Aroma is spicy and flowery.Taste is spices,orange peel and florals.I do not like this beer in any way.It took every shred of my will to finish it.In my book this is one step above garbage.

02-02-2009 18:30:09 | More by matty
FtownThrowDown

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Picked up a Unibroue sampler 12 pack at Jungle Jim's.
Pours a dark golden color with no head. Only a little froth around the edges. Not very good at all. Rather thin, light and a really nasty smokey flavor showing up. Tasted like it had lager characteristics. This is just bad.

03-14-2009 01:25:57 | More by FtownThrowDown
emsroth

2.35/5  rDev -39.6%

12oz bottle

App: Frothy white head. Opaque pale gold.

Smell: Sweet honey, floral and herbal hops.

Taste: Slight honey. Dry malted wheat. Herbal finish.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, slightly chewy body with a bit of a film.

A simple but bland witbier.

07-06-2010 23:58:00 | More by emsroth
smakawhat

Maryland

2.41/5  rDev -38%

Poured from the bottle into a Hoegaarden witbier tumbler glass.

A very thin but somewhat good retention white vanilla cream colored head. Body is a solid light apricot yellow to orange and with a good rising amount of carbonation. Pretty standard.

Nose has something off about it. Sharp rotting wood and bile is the only way I can describe it. It's not particularly strong, and for the most part is not that hugely noticeable. It's mostly a pretty closed smelling wit.

Palate overall is kind of odd and all over the place. Body comes out real seltzery and a quite fizzy and wet. Very little texture to this, and some good gaseous carbonation. The tip of my tongue feels like it's dipped in club soda. It really kills the chance to find something on first sip. Once it's faded only does some flavor peak out but barely. Carbon Dioxide. Faint orange and lemon on the finish. Faint hint of cream.

An overly gaseous beer that kills the palate, and the nose is off putting to unfortunately go with it. I'll be passing on this one.

03-26-2014 01:45:19 | More by smakawhat
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.42/5  rDev -37.8%

E gads man, where did this beer go wrong?

Poured out, brown/red/orange, looked unique, great lace, piqued my interest. Aroma, still kind of neat, but my first warning sign, all those smells that makes you think someone should have just got into making wine instead. Apple, banana, cinammon, etc. . .

Taste, confirms, this is like some twisted incarnation of what would happen if DFH made some fancy pants Newcastle brown ale with currant and eggplant harvested from the 3rd moon of Jupiter (i.e. weird for the sake of being weird). Just too much going on, and I realize its a classic, but just not enjoyable for me, in any sense beyond looking at and smelling it.

01-02-2010 06:04:09 | More by Beerandraiderfan
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.44/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

This is our last beer from Unibroue. That makes me sad. They are such a successful North American Belgian brewing company. That doesn't make sense… but it does to me! They use Belgian yeast in their beers, and make some of the best beers, best Belgian beers outside of Belgium. Like Terrible. Terrible is NOT terrible, and is one of my favorite beers of all time. This is on the other end of the spectrum, and is one of the lightest beer styles on the market. This is also not my favorite style, but there is a lot of history behind this beer. I need to do more research on this Celis guy. He seems legit.

Until we started researching this beer, I was curious where they got the name. I guess it makes sense considering where they brew it and the beer style. It's all coming together now! I will give this bottle my full attention, and hope that it is better than some previous white beers I have tried. It IS an old recipe and the brewery has a lot of history. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: Hold on… give me about 10 minutes for this head to settle. I poured an inch in the glass and the entire glass filled with bubbles. Not champagne bubbles… bubble bath bubbles. When the head finally did settle, the beer reminds me of Blue Moon. The head is white and fluffy, and I am seeing nothing but tiny bubbles rushing to the top. Fingers crossed this is not a mess of carbonation.

Nose: Now that does NOT smell like a typical white beer. It almost smells "off", but I am getting a lot of the spice from the coriander. Not much citrus here… hopefully that comes off in the flavor. It actually smells good. There is a hint of dryness toward the end of the aroma. Let's taste!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I am not that impressed with the flavor. It is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, which is fine. All the flavor really comes at the end. Not much spice and the finish is there and gone again just as fast. Not that I am comparing this to beers like Blue Moon, but I would order a Blue Moon over this any day of the week. Quite frankly, this beer is boring considering all of the other beers I have had from this brewery.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice offering a hint of velvet to the experience. But just like the flavor is here and gone, the mouthfeel is just as boring. I swished around the beer that last sip, and the bubbles just overwhelmed my palate. Some additional citrus flavors came out when doing that, but you can't due to the carbonation. Again, the mouthfeel is just boring. How many times can I use the word boring in this post?

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? This beer doesn't have an aftertaste. What is lingering isn't much to write home about. There is some subtle spice flavors coming through, but that's about it. The beer isn't getting better as it heats up, either. The mouthfeel is improving, but the flavor stays the same. Again, this is just not my favorite style. Too bad there is an entire section of white beers on our list!

If you are going to buy a bottle from Unibroue, get a bottle of Terrible. You won't be sorry. I will say, if you are new to craft beer, then you need to start with a beer like this. Not this particular bottle, but a beer that is light and has subtle flavors like the coriander and the orange zest. I will stick with my Belgian darks!

05-17-2013 22:30:02 | More by rickyleepotts
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A way below average Belgian Wit style beer, no head retention whatsiever, a bit cloying and sticky, you'd expect more from Unibroue.

04-05-2002 18:10:02 | More by rastaman
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Source/Serving: 12oz. Bottle with expiry date 2-2-2011

Smell: cider made with apples and peaches and pears... Aged, not fresh, and with faint oakiness that is reminiscent of the way it comes out in white wines. Cinnamon/clove/nutmeg spiciness that is light and is reminiscent of apple pie. Not too intense or complex.

Taste: Canned Lemon-apple fruits with a heavy punch of carbonation up front. Especially thin mouthfeel with no real 'pop' in the flavor. Not too sweet or juicy, which in light of the fact that it doesn't get too bitter at the end means that there isn't a dynamic flavor range and is pretty one-dimensional. A little too easy to drink. Does have a pleasant spiciness in the middle which is nuanced but lacks intensity. However, it does play off the slightly dry, though white wine -like, bitterness and stark graininess well. Finish is also nice with lingering orange peel and fruits, one of the highlights of this brew.

Notes: Generally disappointing beer from a very capable brewery.

09-03-2010 04:08:51 | More by 4000qtrap
benmiliron

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

This stuff ain't bad, but ain't great either. Very smooth taste without much flavor. Very fizzy at the pour, diminishes to a chunky solid white head. This tastes like (I imagine) the macros are supposed to taste, easy drinking for damn near everyone and a bit watery. I really didn't care for it at all.

12-30-2003 20:15:32 | More by benmiliron
skillerified

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Very pale yellow. Large fizzy head that faded to nothing really fast. Lot's of big carbonation bubbles. Interesting looking, but not particularly appealing.

Smell is citrus. Almost reminds me of a lemon-lime soda. There's a hoppy spicy scent too.

Taste is kinda flat honestly. It's a wheat grain sort of taste. Closest thing I can describe it as is a hot dog bun, possibly a stale one too. Unique and not necessarily bad, but not really what I was hoping for. A little apple flavor comes as it warms.

As expected, it's close to soda. There's a strong carbonation bite that sort of hinders the rest of the mouthfeel. I'd call it light bodied. Fairly dry too.

Not really impressed with this one. I'll pass on them in the future.

01-26-2006 01:12:16 | More by skillerified
logansboat15

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Unibroue's version of a white pours pale amber with a cloudy yeast sediment. The powerful, vertical jet stream of tiny carbonation bubbles shooting dead center from the bottom of the glass is impressive. The aroma is crisp and tart with a sour citrus bite. The taste is light and refreshing, like a sparkling wine. Afficionados with a more sophisticated palate toward fine wines than mine will undoubtedly enjoy the delicate nature of this beer. Mouthfeel is light - similar to that of a mass produced pilsner. This beer however is clearly light years more complex than a Miller or Budweiser. It is difficult for me to judge this style as it is not one that I'm familiar with, but I can imagine that it rates well with devotees of witbiers. Blanche De Chambly pairs well with the slice of Veggie Pizza that I'm having for lunch. Very drinkable. Give it a try! My low scores reflect my unfamiliarity with the style, rather than an aversion to it.

04-17-2007 18:52:49 | More by logansboat15
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

It was a devilishly nice surprise to find that my local tavern just threw on two taps of one of Canada's (or North America in general) best breweries. The unfortunate part is that they chose two of my least favorite beers in their common portfolio, Maudite and Blanche De Chambly. That said, Maudite must have THE BEST TAP HANDLE EVER...a devilish horn I had hoped was Hop Devil.

I have to say that this beer is probably tasty to some people, but just not me. I like Hoegaarden, Oberon, even Blue Moon, for Christs' sake...but I always have a complaint implanted from a friend - these beers taste like soap.

And did this one ever taste like soap. Maized-up, wheaty, soap. Everything about the beer, fittingly, was clean and neat...but just overwhelmingly soapy.

Rather refreshing once you blocked out that particular flavor, and a nice pathway beer for the uninitiated, but NOT FOR ME. I'll take a Trois Pistoles or Don de Dieu anyday of the week.

Though I have heard that Unibroue suffers on-tap.

06-06-2005 00:05:53 | More by GreenWBush
BWH3

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I would not call this a Witbier. It is more of a Belgian/Abbey pale ale. I rate this as it is categorized as a wit and for this the rating suffers

A: Cloudy gold poured off the lees. Head retention just to poor for style.

S: Slight fruit/ester nose from the yeast. Unnoticeable contributions from wheat or spices. Pleasant aroma.

T: Mainly that of pale belgian malt. No wheat sharpness, no spices. Aftertaste totally bland.

M: Good enough. Sometimes a bit watery going down.

D: With so many good wits available, I won't be turning back to this one.

07-26-2008 12:17:55 | More by BWH3
DosBeerigos

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

C. Cloudy
H. Golden Yellow
N. Almost like an Orangina; sweet citrus with light spice (coriander)

Comments came from my blog (Dosbeerigos.com);
So the wonderful thing about this beer blog is I have people recommend beers to me that I would never think to try otherwise. Well this was a recommendation, and I have avoided this brewery's beers for a while since I thought the art work was odd and almost "Magic the Gathering-esque". Well like that horrible waste of a time card game I found myself a tad bit interested in this brewery. Also like the card game I found it a bad move, and a waste of time. The beer wasn't anything special. It had some really weak head that disappeared FAST, the odor was really good, and the taste...well it was just overall too sweet. Almost over-powering. I'll give the brewery another try, but if it ends up with the same review I'm just going to "Blame Canada" just like they did on South Park.

02-24-2010 19:38:49 | More by DosBeerigos
klewis

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

750 ml bottle

A: Poured with a big, light head that very quickly subdued to a thin ring. A massive flow of bubbles steadily arose from the bottom through the course of the drink. Pale yellow and slighty hazy in color.

S: This one had a pretty weak smell that was dominated by yeast and strong phenols.

T: Like the smell, the taste was initially weak. As the beer warmed, there were flavors of banana, spices, and hints of lemon.

M: This beer was light bodied and overly-carbonated. The mouthfeel was quite prickly.

D: This one went down fairly easily, yet the aggressive carbonation is somewhat tiring on the mouth, and IMO, definitely annoying. Save the money on this one, and buy yourself some Hoegaarden.

08-26-2005 21:04:12 | More by klewis
donteatpoop

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured a lightly hazy golden-amber color with a barely present film of white head.

Smells of yeast, orange peel, and a bit of lemon; some cider-like spice.

Taste is spiced and lemon-sweet; a cider and pine hop and some vague caramlization.

Mouthfeel is weak, low carbonation. Checked the bottle... Holy shit, 5 years old. I gotta start checking these things.

Will purchase a newer beer and re-review.

01-27-2010 06:00:12 | More by donteatpoop
Vancer

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This Unibro offering disappointed and surprised me. The start was great, hazy lemon yellow with a thick, foamy head. A sliding sheet of lace, too. Lots o’ sediment in the bottom to stir up.

But the aroma and taste? Dull and flat white pepper and spices, just weak notes of any wheat backbone. A very wimpy brew, foamy in the mouth, with a twinge of a soapy taste. A bummer, this was not a very impressive brew

08-30-2006 12:52:29 | More by Vancer
instrumentality

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

I obtained this brew in a 1pt. 9.4oz. bottle with a "best before" date of 02/02/08. I poured it into a gold-rimmed Chimay goblet and was pleased by its somewhat cloudy appearance and its apple cider color with a steady plume of bubbles weaving its way from the stem of the glass to the surface. A 2-finger, very bubbly white head formed, then gradually descended to a thin lace with a ring of bubbles around the edge.

The odor was predominantly what I've come to understand as phenols - a sort of medicinal, band-aidy scent--definitely not my cup of tea. A slightly sweet fruity scent lingered beneath the surface.

This is my third beer from Unibroue, the first being Maudite and the second, Trois Pistoles. Although these were much stronger beers, I immediately detected the same theme in this beer that now officially seems characteristic of their brewing style: a clovey phenol flavor. This taste greatly detracted from my enjoyment of the first two beers, and in this case, I find it even more inappropriate, as I was hoping for something a bit more refreshing like Ommegang, my first witbier. However, I will say that the phenol flavor wasn't quite as intense as with the other two Unibroue offerings, but then again, neither were the other flavors.

Aside from the phenols, there's a *very* subtle sweetness and a not-so-subtle maltiness, but these are overpowered by the band-aid quality.

Mouthfeel was relatively mild, with almost no detection of alcohol, moderate carbonation, and only a slight coating left behind on the palate.

The good news is, this is the first Unibroue I've actually been willing to finish. The band aid flavor isn't exactly appealing, but it's mild enough where I can drink with relative comfort, despite the fact that the beer doesn't have much else to offer in the flavor department.

The bad news is, my patience with this brewery has worn thin, and I don't intend to revisit them any time soon unless someone else is buying and/or understands my complaint with the brews I've tried and can convince me that they offer something else that doesn't share this problem.

07-08-2006 04:27:45 | More by instrumentality
smerkinb

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a hazy dark straw with 1/2" fizzy head that retreated quickly. Barely noticeable lacing that quickly fell back into the beer.
Smells mostly of clove.
Taste is a clusterfuck at first--clove, citrus, yeast, spices, maybe a touch of biscuity something at the end. About halfway through the aftertaste turned a bit sour/soapy. As it warmed up I thought at first it was tasting better, then I realized it was just weaker and less spazzmatic. The clove wasn't expected and not really welcomed.
Tingly on the tongue, zesty in the mouth.

Overall this was a bit of a letdown for me. Maybe my expectations were off. The beginning was disjointed, the middle 1/3 of the glass was not quite good, the end was weak and disappointing. Might try it again in a pinch or maybe 3 years from now when I can't remember my disappointment anymore.

08-19-2008 21:43:54 | More by smerkinb
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

2 A cloudy yellow, fizzy then nothing, big chunks in suspension
4 S sweet fruity, fruit nougetty, orange-cherry-pineapple
2.5 T fruit punch soda, some apple, not beerlike, sour tart candy
2 M scrubby carbonation, occasional big chunk to deal with
3 D better than a mixed fruit wine cooler, but not great.

09-08-2008 15:23:38 | More by brewmudgeon
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

Very light yellowish body is almost clear. Hosts a very large fuzzy head that is as white as foam gets. Carries a crisp wheaty nose with noticeable tones of citrus and soft mellon. Very crisp as it hits the tongue. Raw wheat feel is soft and accompinied by zesty citrus notes that are sharp. Very even and drinkable overall a nice summer style. Deffinitly best very cold.

09-25-2006 19:26:52 | More by SPLITGRIN