Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Blanche De ChamblyBlanche De Chambly

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Had a glass of draft at the Highlander Pub patio on Rideau Street in the touristy section of the city on a warm summer lunch hour.
Cost was $6.00 a glass.
Appearance: It came in a traditional pint glass, with a nice coating of condensation. The brew is a typical witbier, with a hazy, yellow cloudy appearance, and an impressive creamy off-white head. The foam thinned out in a couple of minutes, but left a pretty lacing to the bottom of the glass.
Smell: First hit is citrus, fruity, hops. Maybe when my sniffer is better educated I will be able to come up with more, but this was enough to set up the anticipation of the first sip.
Taste: Nice big flavour. sour citrus, yeast, spicy overtones, with a long finish that left all of the flavours intact without one overpowering the others. Because of this, I prefer it over others of that ilk, e.g. Hoegarrden.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that left a bit of activity on the tongue. Good stuff.
Drinkability: Super good on a warm summer day. Wish I could afford several more.
Mouthfeel:

Conrad, Jun 02, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Appearance is what I would expect of a witbier cloudy yellow(honey like) with a big white head. Smell is very sweet strawberry , bananas, and oranges. Taste matches smell, very fruity with some spicey aftertones. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but yet watery. Another good offering from Unibroue but not my favorite offering from them or the style.

WeymouthMike, Jun 01, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my 100th review. Thanks to AltBock for pointing me out this for I wasn't aware. Actually, since it's very hard for me to get new beers, I thought it would take me a month or even more to find a new brew to review.

Found this baby in the most unexpected place: A road liquor shop that boasts in selling every Mexican beer and a lot of American (swill).

Alone on the counter I stumbled on this 750ml, so I immediatly bought it.

No visible best before date, probably covered by the sticker with info in Spanish.

Pours a hazy yellow/orange, with a short living and fizzy head. No lacing to talk about.

Smell wasn't what I was expecting, with that Unibroue yeast though.

Taste is refreshing, a little fizzy, picked up some orange or lime peel, no coriander though. Medium body.

Mouthfeel is spicy, more on the malts than hops.

Drinkability? Nice beer, especially on a hot Mexican Summer afternoon, but I rather gor for a Hoegardden, a Celis White or even a Franziskaner Hefe (yeah, I know, not the same style).

¡Salud!

Pepeton, May 16, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Pours a pale lemony golden color with a fluffy white head that persists well but leaves little lacing

Smell: Bananas, wheat germ and a touch of coriander

Taste: Starts out with a wheaty, yeasty flavor; after the swallow, some peppery spice emerges with a bit of coriander and then, in a flash, it is a memory; slightly sour residual

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with frothy carbonation

Drinkability: Another good beer from the folks up North, this one has some nice flavors and goes down easy

brentk56, May 14, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Cloudy yellow with a huge meringue like head. Drops fairly quickly without lacing much.

S - Hmm.... Big aroma of oranges and... smoked meat? Interesting. Yeasty with spicy notes.

T - Grapefruity citrus and some spice of some sort. Coriander? and yeast. Notes of lemon and orange and barely a hop tinge.

M - Slick and oily. Smooth with mild carbonation.

D - Refreshing and flavourful. A very small-L light beer, but not watery like some wits and hefes.

allergictomacros, May 14, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Purchased at specialty beer/liquor store next to the Secret Safeway in Menlo Park, CA. Beer was cold when purchased.

This is another fine beer by the folks at Unibroue. It's been hot in California recently, and I thought I'd give their witbier a try. A good decision.

Not much head on the pour (into a tall, narrow glass), but not unplesantly bare. The color was much deeper than I expected, and it smelled just a little too sweet. The taste, though, was excellent. Very round and fruity, with what seemed like orange. Very refreshing, though a little too syrupy at times.

For me, witbiers are good at the start, when cold, and then they (unlike other beers) go south after they warm up a touch. Not so with this one. The flavor properly (in my opinion) changed during the warm-up, but all for the better. As such, I don't think I'd relegate this beer to a "warm weather" category, though it did seem a bit heavier than other witbiers, and I'm not sure if I'd want to have more than two at any given time.

theo692, May 12, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a brown bottle featuring a coastline on the label.

A: Poured with about a finger of head. Dense golden melon in color. Cloudy.

S: Yeasty. Citrus. Clove. A touch of mace. Even a toasted element. Typical sourness builds.

T: Nice wheat tart. Clean flavor. Citrus. Finishes a little floral.

M: Supremely quenching. Appropriately carbonated. Although it dries a little toward the finish it remains a very wet and satisfying beer.

Overall: Such a clean beer from beginning to end. This beer just slides down as quick as some lagers in spite of the higher level of carbonation. Simple. Balanced. Certainly an enjoyable wit. The nose is more pronounced than the flavor, but I think it's countered by the mouthfeel. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.

sevineyes, May 09, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle brought over from Leeds, England, by a friend of mine.
Bought in a special beer shop in Leeds.

Shady yellow white beer look.
White head.
Belgian ale scent.
Thin taste of Belgian white beer.

Most other beers I've tried from Unibroue has been fairly strong, maybe that's why I thought this one lacked body?
Still, it's not as good as Hoegaarden if comparing to another Belgian Wit. And I've had a lot of German wheat/white beers that taste betetr.
So I'll stick to the other beers from Unibroue for taste, and will not have this again when feeling for a wheat beer.

gnoff, May 06, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

Light Yellow. Nose of burnt popcorn, butter toffee, orange, clove, fruit, raw wheat and moderate spicing. Grainy wheat and malt character . Hints of fruit, clove and orange. Fairly harsh for a wheat beer. Overall, just not enough spice character for my palate. Although, when it warmed to room temperature it improved, especially in the aroma.

Crosling, May 05, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

A- straw yellow color, cloudy, 2 finger head that doesn't quit
S-wow, lots of yeast smell, a bit of malt, citrusy possibly orange, maybe a hint of clove smell
T- a bit more bland than the smell led me to believe, very good taste, but not very complex, could taste the yeast and a bit of citrus was all
M- chew on this one, trust me, let is soak in your mouth, then take another sip- feels good tastes better
D- takes three sips to get the full enjoyment of the taste, goes down easy

supercolter, May 02, 2006

341ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Straw yellow and cloudy. Big white head is about 2 inches high on the pour, almost overtopping the glass. Head settles down to a solid 1/8 inch cap. Intricate lacing down the sides.

Aroma is dominated by that distinct Unibroue belgian yeast scent. Spices and cloves accent the background.

The same yeast flavour that is Unibroue's signature is omnipresent throughout. Accompanying the yeast is a subtle wheat flavour. Light spiciness and hints of cloves appear in the middle to finish. A little tartness pokes through in the middle as well. Aftertaste of yeast and wheat.

Light-Medium bodied with a big rush of pinpricks of carbonation.

This is one Unibroue offering that I would consider buying again. Although all of their products are in the good to great range, I'm just not a big fan of the styles. This beer is refreshing, light and pleasing. The first time I had it a few months ago, it was terrific with a chicken dish my sister made. In fact, it's the best beer I've found thus far to pair with chicken.

Noxious26, Apr 26, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a bottle from the Unibroue gift pack into a pint glass.

Nice clear yellow color, but damn was the head tight and cloud-like. The most stunning head I've ever seen. Wispy, clear white, about an inch high. Laces well and sticks around just forever. I bet I could have rested a quarter, even a marble, on it.

Wheat grassy and citrusy smell. More malty than I expected.

Nice dry flavor, but standard wit. I don't get as much citrus, nor spiciness, but it's pretty balanced.

Smooth, smooth and light. I wouldn't call it thin, but it's certainly very inoffensive.

Good beer, but nothing to separate from all the rest, except the higher price and a head that just won't quit.

heyitsbyron, Apr 25, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -1%

Pours a light straw color, two finger plus head. Good retention. Lots of bubbles. Smell is of fruit and malt. Body is light and carbonated. Taste is of banana and light spice. This a great light wheat beer. I wish I had bought more than one. Recommended!

riversider76, Apr 22, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance: Straw yellow with off-white fizzy carbonation. Head breaks-down in chunky layers without lacing.

Aroma: Lemons, bananas and light malts. Maybe wheat, but that could be the yeast too.

Flavor: Almost tastes like water. Lightweights will love it, but not the burst of flavor that I've come to expect from Unibroue. Slight tartness on the finish helps give it a little life.

Mouthfeel: Thin if bordering on watery.

Drinkability: Very drinkable in the sense that it goes down easily, however, not all that interesting.

longarm, Apr 21, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear pale golden color with lots of large bubbles rising to give it a thick and active half-inch head. There are a bunch of bubbles rising, but the head only sticks around for about a minute until it retires as a small ring around the top of the beer. There are still a bunch of bubbles rising a few minutes later, but they don't "stick". There is no lacing to speak of.

Aroma: Slightly sweet with a subtle lemony presence. There is quite a bready contribution that is being made by the yeast. Other than this, there is a dry grainy wheat-like aroma with some subtle floral hops to keep it interesting.

Taste: The flavor is really light and refreshing. There is definitely a wheat edge to this beer. The malt and residual sweetness are the key players, but the attenuation is a flavor in and of itself. The entire profile is refreshing, and there are hops noticeable but they are not a dominating force. The finish is slightly dry, but pretty sweet for the most part.

Opinion: I think that this is a pretty good beer. I am not a huge Wit drinker, but I have been pretty happy with this one. It is light enough to be consumed like mad, but flavorful enough to please your palate. I think that it is a bit pricy, but that is the price you pay for being a beer snob.

SkeeterHawk, Apr 14, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Highs: Intriguing take on witbier
Lows: Watery

OK, I’m going to wax longwinded here. I’m a huge fan of Unibroue beers and really go for their wine-flavor take on various styles. Blanche de Chambly proved to be as enigmatic as most of Unibroue’s other offerings. In fact, I wasn’t really sure of the style until about halfway through the beer. I kept looking at the “white beer” label and scratching my head. However, all’s well that ends well….

Pour from the 12 oz. bottle yields a large fluffy white head over a translucent, cloudy grapefruit juice color body. The head visibly fades, leaving only tiny bits of lacing after a minute or two, fueled by a small amount of carbonation that slowly bubbles up. There’s a bit of residue at the bottom of the bottle as is expected. The nose is sweetish and reminiscent of white wine over a yeast base, but I didn’t pick up on any citrus. The first thing I noticed upon tasting is the beer’s exceptionally light body. It’s like a light white grape wine or watered-down apple juice. The mouth is watery, bubbly, and refreshing, but the overall watery flavor leaves it feeling flat. There’s a sweet wine finish with a tiny bit of bitter and a note of alcohol. Not quite the witbier I’m familiar with. The more I tasted it, though, the more I recognized it as a witbier, although a very subtle variation on the style. Drinkability is good; it’s a nice-tasting and interesting beer, though personally I’d stick with just one since it tastes naggingly watery to me.

Overall: Unibroue’s take on witbier or “white ale/beer” is intriguing but falls a bit flat. Worth a try.

jettjon, Apr 10, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

From your standard 750 ml bottle.

Appearance - A very pretty cloudy yellow. Thin head. Light lacing.

Smell - Very good. Hints of banana, nutmeg.

Taste - Nice carbonation. I wanted the flavors to be more assertive. There was a good spicy character you expect from a wit.

Mouthfeel - Thinner that I would have liked. Not bad, I just like a little more body.

Drinkability - A good wit, but I hoped for something more revelatory. I would definately drink it again, but I would take Allagash White or Lakefront White over this one.

schenked, Apr 09, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle..freshness date 8/07.
Very cloudy pale gold...big head...settles slowly to 1/8 "...good looking brew.
Smell is very faint...soapy...with some fruit .
Taste is very light...it's sweet, but almost artifcially sweet....bubblegum is winning out over more subtle dough, pepper and lemon. Hops are pretty much in the background.
Mouthfeel is light..carbonation is high.
This is a pretty good wheat beer....I would only want one ; then move on to something less subtle...but if you like wheats....this is one to try...and it is definitely geting better as it warms a little.

Hautacam, Apr 08, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Hazy yellow color, though with a lot less sediment than I would have thought considering the warning on the box. Pours with fairly heavy froth that backs down to manageable rather quickly.

Acrid, astringent scent with a hint of yeast. Tastes decent enough, a tad sour,, subtle hints of lemon, with a dash of hops on the finish. Not quite as yeasty as I usually like my witbiers, but definately drinkable.

A decent beer, though nothing to write home about.

SetarconeX, Apr 05, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy golden, thick white head forms, some pretty lacing and good retention. Smell is wheat, honey, banana spice, nice and fruity. Taste is witbier, some banana and spice, wheat, honey and yeast. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, a very refreshing ale.

Viggo, Mar 30, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Pours with a clear golden body and a huge, foamy white head. It settles down but leaves a good quarter inch head and lots of bubbly.

Smell: The alcohol is pungent this time around.. not saying that it's actually high at 5% ABV, but I do notice it alot more now. There is also a smell of fresh, active yeast followed by an abundance of different varieties of citrus peels. Some other fruity notes are subtle here.. bananas and fresh cut apples.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts with a slightly sweet wheaty taste, which grows fuller and more bitter and it crosses the tongue. The is some apple juice flavor in the finish, but not as though it has spoiled. And it finishes clean with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability: I have these every year at Thanksgiving and that is the style of food I would pair this witbier with. Mmmmm.. an old favorite of mine. :-)

MrSeth, Mar 30, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

This light yellow highly unfiltered wit is wonderful. Served in a traditional Unibroue tulip glass. The mouthfeel is smooth and light tasting, with good flavor. I can taste citrus and some spicy. The head lasts a while, no real lace except at the very start. This is one of my favorite Wits, quite interesting. Lots of organic matter floating around. Very drinkable with low ABV.

Severum27, Mar 24, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

appearance: very hazy dark yellow, with huge head at first. after about 10 mins the head stops holding.

smell: wheat. you can really smell the wheat, with a mild yeast backup. pleasant, but subdued.

taste: a fantastic taste, reminds me of what got me into to craft beer in the first place(it was witbiers.) a sweet wheat taste hit's upfront, a tangy orange/yeast taste in the middle, and blast of refreshing bitter hops/spice at the end. complex enough, but also just plain good

mouthfeel: this beer is very carbinated, the high carbination adds alot to to the flavor, makes the bitterness stand out more. I felt like something lite after a huge meal, and this fit the bill, except that carbination was a bit filling.

drinkability: beer pretty much flies by. obviously a great summer beer, but hey it's freezing right now and this hits the spot too. top notch wit.

pjwilson, Mar 20, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Drank this beer at Twain's in Decatur, GA. I poured this beer from a bottle into a Unibroue tulip glass.

A - Pours a fizzy pale yellow-off white with a big foamy white head atop it. The head lasted for about 1/2 the beer and left good lacing.

S - A bit of a fruity and spicy smell, ranging from lemon to orange with cloves and cinnamon.

T - A nice creamy, spicy and wheat flavor. This is a very nice witbier. It has a good finish and a bold and pleasant flavor.

M - Highly carbonated, medium mouthfeel with creaminess to it.

D - One of the best witbiers I've had. I finally have another to add to my list of favorites for this style. The others are: Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, and Wittekerke.

TheEclecticGent, Mar 17, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I am drinking a 12 oz. bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. The ale is chilled.

Appearance: The ale pours a hazy goldenrod color. There is a significant amount of sediment in the ale, as well as in the bottom of the bottle.

Smell: The ale has a very wonderful scent of orange peel and wheat. Also present is a salt aroma, not overpowering, but definitely there.

Taste: The ale has a great fruity flavor. The fruits and spices that make themselves known include oranges and coriander. The wheat is light and soft, allowing the spices to take control of the ale.

Mouthfeel: The ale is smooth and soft on the tongue, making for a very pleasant sipping beer.

Drinkability: The ale is very drinkable with a low abv. Don't bother garnishing this ale with a lemon or orange wedge, it is too good to mix.

akorsak, Mar 05, 2006