Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Had this one at the Alisal Cellars wine/beer tasting room.

A - Cloudy, pale yellow.
S - Slightlyhoppy and sour scent in the nose.
T - Lightly sour on the tongue with a mild citrus flavor. Goes down smooth with a lingering sweet aftertaste.
M - Light mouthfeel.
D - Good on a hot afternoon, but not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a large Marzen/Wheat glass. Well-chilled. Formed a large, pillowey, white head that lasted, eventually falling to a centimeter of foam over the beer. Dark straw in color, with a turbidity that is appropriate to the style. Aroma of light clove and bitter orange. The taste is of soft wheat, with the spices coming through on the finish. The mouthfeel is soft and light. This beer is a real quaffer; you can down two before you even notice it. As with most of this brewery's offerings, this is an outstanding example of a Belgian style (in this case wit or blanche de bruge) that often surpasses the Belgian beers available in this country. An excellent wit.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%

750ML bottle with a drink by date of 2/1/08.

A: Hazy gold/honey with a white head

S: Notes of honey, cloves, and yeast

T: Starts off very smooth, yeasty, some honey with a spicy, lingering aftertaste

M: Very smooth, almosty creamy with a pleasent tingling background

D: A refreshing summertime beer

A nice example of the style, but nothing overly remarkable

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Short review:

Smell: Orange pulp

Taste: Slight apple chip notes with a strong orange pulp presence. There is a slight cider/Skol tobacco aftertaste here that is quite pleasant.

Ap: Golden and sparkling. Like a champagne. Strong lacing throughout.

Notes: Another excellent beer by an excellent beer company.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a damn good witbier. Once again Unibroue prevails. I have yet to be disappointed by any of their beers.

The beer pours to a very light yellow, but not quite hazy enough to really look "white." Has a huge white head. Lacing and retention could be better, as well as carbonation.

The smell is nice and light with a fresh coriander and orange peel smell. Also a hint of banana and clove. The taste is just as listed above with a touch of lemon zest in the finish. Very tasty witbier. One of the better I've had.

Hugely drinkable. Very crisp and clean mouthfeel with a very refreshing zest. One of the best summer beers I've had. I highly recommend it.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a slightly dark yellow for a whitbier. nice single finger white head that melts to fine lacing that lasts and lasts.
Aroma is typical of Unibroure yeasts...very belgium...slightly sweet malt .... only a very faint banana and very nice wheat and fruits.
Taste is very soft sweet malt with light lemon afterwards and a light belgium bready yeast taste, finishing with a slightly peppery wheat sharpness. Nice bright sharp tanginess
Aftertaste is of white pepper and a tiny lemon drying.
Drinkable...and nice, but in my opinion there are many better tasting whits out there at much less money. However, this is a unique whitbier, unlike others.
***
Editing my review on 7/1/06 while enjoying my second bottle of this brew. This time it is the beer I started with so I have a very clean palette with which to judge it.
Much more complexity and bright cleaness noticed with a clean palette.
I enjoyed and respected the brewer's efforts on this beer much more this time around and have made some changes above and increased my rating points accordingly.

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

I used a octagonal Hoegaarden glass, must be the force of habit. Poured it out quite aggressively and got a nice head as a result. Foamy snow white, but quite rough. It looked rather like a ship at see, floating on my beer.
The colour is just delicious, I want to stop writing and start drinking. A misty solid golden colour. It has some strong carbonation running through.
The beer has a strong citric odour. In the background I think I can find some nice garden spices, hops, honey and freshly harvested grains.
At first, a very fresh taste devellopes. It contains vanilla, freshly plucked garden spices, a few drops of lemon juice and hops. Then evolves in dryer tones. Still a bit sweet, resembles a honey sandwich and also the vanilla is still present. Sprinkled with lemon yuice. Very deeply hidden I feel like there is an ash note.
I think the best way to describe the mouthfeel is like custerd. It’s like a cold sweet vanilla custerd as it fills the mouth.
Very refreshing beer.

I’m falling in love with Unibroue! Needless to say more…

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz bottle.

A: poured into goblet. Head was huge at first, then slowly bubbled away to about one finger's worth. Wonderful opaque light yellow.

S: Very, very faint. Citrusy. Hint of coriander. Nothing unexpected for a Belgian-style wit, really.

T: wheat flavor hits first at the front of the mouth, followed by a citrus spiciness at the back. Finish is mild. That's where the coriander lives.

M: Not too tingly. Enough carbonation to make you aware you have a beer in your mouth.

D: I can, and will, drink a few of these. At ~5 dollars for a 22 oz bottle, I'll be returning to this during the summer.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at a local bar during the 2006 worldcup soccer period. Some people think that this beer looks like a bacterial culture. I am perfectly receptive to the beer's apperance though. This drink was served a in champagne like glass so there was a nice 2 inch layer of head.

The smells remind me of La fin Du Monde with less alcohol, with a slight champagne like effervescence. A very smooth beer with high floral notes, creamy texture, and a tart aftertaste. I did not notice the taste of the alcohol at all so I cannot comment on it.

A nice beer to have on the patio on a hot sunny day.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy light yellow/honey color. A very nice three finger white sudsy cap that slowly dissipated to very light lacings. Aroma is very nice with light honey and malty sweetness. Biscuit, yeast, and lots of citrusy lemon. Undertones of anise. Flavor is very near the aroma with biscuit and yeast. Lots of lemon and very slight spice in the back. Very refreshing with a light body. Carbonation is a little above medium. With the citrus, medium carbonation, and low alcohol.... this is a very smooth, quaffable beer. Great Wit!

3.61/5  rDev -7.2%

My only past experience with Unibroue is La Fin Du Monde, a brew that I felt wasn't quite up to the hype surrounding it. Nevertheless, I purchased a six-pack of Blanche De Chambly when my curiousity got the better of me. Unfortunately, I lack the recommended drinking vessel, so I've tried a number of glasses - a Hoegaarden pint glass (hey, it's the same style) and a Stella Artois tulip/snifter provided the best results, so I'll lean towards my impression from the Stella glass.

This beer pours gorgeously. My only other experience in the witbier style is Hoegaarden, which was one of my favourite brews early in my beer discovery, but this matches it note for note on appearance. Pours from the beautifully elaborate Unibroue bottle into the glass a cloudy yellow-orange, with a very substantial, creamy, and foamy tall white head that lasts for essentially the whole drink (it even seems to grow a little from the first pour). Carbonation is visible as bubbles rise in a flurry; this brew does look great, and is miles ahead of the lemonade-y appearance of Hoegaarden.

Nose seems to be typical of a witbier. Primarily and dominant citrus on the nose - curaco oranges and lemons - but also a graininess, coriander, cloves, bananas, some wheatiness. Smells great, but I can't say that there's anything special here to seperate it from other entries in this category (although it is considerably cheaper than Hoegaarden, the only other Witbier easily available in Ontario).

Taste is initially quite wheaty. The citrus notes quite apparant on the smell dont translate as well to the taste - they're here, but much more subdued. Also apparant is the cloves, coriander, and bananas. Clearly wheaty, with a faint yeasty sort of taste, though heavy carbonation - I think - masks a lot of flavours. Finish isn't bad. Slightly dry, with some pepper notes, but also some sourness that's a little unpleasant, also some more wheat. Good, but not what I've been coaxed to expect from a brewery with the reknown of Unibroue. Truth be told, I'd actually prefer Hoegaarden.

Mouthfeel is average. Very heavy carbonation masks a lot of flavour, but to its credit, this beer has some body, and is enjoyable to drink. It's also - unlike most Unibroue beers - at a reasonable ABV for regular consumption. And I could probably have a few of these in a sitting, though it's a little too sweet to sip all night.

All in all, Blanche De Chambly is a good witbier, but it's hardly spectacular. And - if Beer Advocate wisdom is to be trusted - certainly not on par with Unibroue's other offerings. InBev or not, I'd probably still take a Hoegaarden over this entry, though I would never turn a Blanche De Chambly down. Ever.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Had a glass of draft at the Highlander Pub patio on Rideau Street in the touristy section of the city on a warm summer lunch hour.
Cost was $6.00 a glass.
Appearance: It came in a traditional pint glass, with a nice coating of condensation. The brew is a typical witbier, with a hazy, yellow cloudy appearance, and an impressive creamy off-white head. The foam thinned out in a couple of minutes, but left a pretty lacing to the bottom of the glass.
Smell: First hit is citrus, fruity, hops. Maybe when my sniffer is better educated I will be able to come up with more, but this was enough to set up the anticipation of the first sip.
Taste: Nice big flavour. sour citrus, yeast, spicy overtones, with a long finish that left all of the flavours intact without one overpowering the others. Because of this, I prefer it over others of that ilk, e.g. Hoegarrden.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that left a bit of activity on the tongue. Good stuff.
Drinkability: Super good on a warm summer day. Wish I could afford several more.
Mouthfeel:

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Appearance is what I would expect of a witbier cloudy yellow(honey like) with a big white head. Smell is very sweet strawberry , bananas, and oranges. Taste matches smell, very fruity with some spicey aftertones. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but yet watery. Another good offering from Unibroue but not my favorite offering from them or the style.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my 100th review. Thanks to AltBock for pointing me out this for I wasn't aware. Actually, since it's very hard for me to get new beers, I thought it would take me a month or even more to find a new brew to review.

Found this baby in the most unexpected place: A road liquor shop that boasts in selling every Mexican beer and a lot of American (swill).

Alone on the counter I stumbled on this 750ml, so I immediatly bought it.

No visible best before date, probably covered by the sticker with info in Spanish.

Pours a hazy yellow/orange, with a short living and fizzy head. No lacing to talk about.

Smell wasn't what I was expecting, with that Unibroue yeast though.

Taste is refreshing, a little fizzy, picked up some orange or lime peel, no coriander though. Medium body.

Mouthfeel is spicy, more on the malts than hops.

Drinkability? Nice beer, especially on a hot Mexican Summer afternoon, but I rather gor for a Hoegardden, a Celis White or even a Franziskaner Hefe (yeah, I know, not the same style).

¡Salud!

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pours a pale lemony golden color with a fluffy white head that persists well but leaves little lacing

Smell: Bananas, wheat germ and a touch of coriander

Taste: Starts out with a wheaty, yeasty flavor; after the swallow, some peppery spice emerges with a bit of coriander and then, in a flash, it is a memory; slightly sour residual

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with frothy carbonation

Drinkability: Another good beer from the folks up North, this one has some nice flavors and goes down easy

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Cloudy yellow with a huge meringue like head. Drops fairly quickly without lacing much.

S - Hmm.... Big aroma of oranges and... smoked meat? Interesting. Yeasty with spicy notes.

T - Grapefruity citrus and some spice of some sort. Coriander? and yeast. Notes of lemon and orange and barely a hop tinge.

M - Slick and oily. Smooth with mild carbonation.

D - Refreshing and flavourful. A very small-L light beer, but not watery like some wits and hefes.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Purchased at specialty beer/liquor store next to the Secret Safeway in Menlo Park, CA. Beer was cold when purchased.

This is another fine beer by the folks at Unibroue. It's been hot in California recently, and I thought I'd give their witbier a try. A good decision.

Not much head on the pour (into a tall, narrow glass), but not unplesantly bare. The color was much deeper than I expected, and it smelled just a little too sweet. The taste, though, was excellent. Very round and fruity, with what seemed like orange. Very refreshing, though a little too syrupy at times.

For me, witbiers are good at the start, when cold, and then they (unlike other beers) go south after they warm up a touch. Not so with this one. The flavor properly (in my opinion) changed during the warm-up, but all for the better. As such, I don't think I'd relegate this beer to a "warm weather" category, though it did seem a bit heavier than other witbiers, and I'm not sure if I'd want to have more than two at any given time.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a brown bottle featuring a coastline on the label.

A: Poured with about a finger of head. Dense golden melon in color. Cloudy.

S: Yeasty. Citrus. Clove. A touch of mace. Even a toasted element. Typical sourness builds.

T: Nice wheat tart. Clean flavor. Citrus. Finishes a little floral.

M: Supremely quenching. Appropriately carbonated. Although it dries a little toward the finish it remains a very wet and satisfying beer.

Overall: Such a clean beer from beginning to end. This beer just slides down as quick as some lagers in spite of the higher level of carbonation. Simple. Balanced. Certainly an enjoyable wit. The nose is more pronounced than the flavor, but I think it's countered by the mouthfeel. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle brought over from Leeds, England, by a friend of mine.
Bought in a special beer shop in Leeds.

Shady yellow white beer look.
White head.
Belgian ale scent.
Thin taste of Belgian white beer.

Most other beers I've tried from Unibroue has been fairly strong, maybe that's why I thought this one lacked body?
Still, it's not as good as Hoegaarden if comparing to another Belgian Wit. And I've had a lot of German wheat/white beers that taste betetr.
So I'll stick to the other beers from Unibroue for taste, and will not have this again when feeling for a wheat beer.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Light Yellow. Nose of burnt popcorn, butter toffee, orange, clove, fruit, raw wheat and moderate spicing. Grainy wheat and malt character . Hints of fruit, clove and orange. Fairly harsh for a wheat beer. Overall, just not enough spice character for my palate. Although, when it warmed to room temperature it improved, especially in the aroma.

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%

A- straw yellow color, cloudy, 2 finger head that doesn't quit
S-wow, lots of yeast smell, a bit of malt, citrusy possibly orange, maybe a hint of clove smell
T- a bit more bland than the smell led me to believe, very good taste, but not very complex, could taste the yeast and a bit of citrus was all
M- chew on this one, trust me, let is soak in your mouth, then take another sip- feels good tastes better
D- takes three sips to get the full enjoyment of the taste, goes down easy

341ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Straw yellow and cloudy. Big white head is about 2 inches high on the pour, almost overtopping the glass. Head settles down to a solid 1/8 inch cap. Intricate lacing down the sides.

Aroma is dominated by that distinct Unibroue belgian yeast scent. Spices and cloves accent the background.

The same yeast flavour that is Unibroue's signature is omnipresent throughout. Accompanying the yeast is a subtle wheat flavour. Light spiciness and hints of cloves appear in the middle to finish. A little tartness pokes through in the middle as well. Aftertaste of yeast and wheat.

Light-Medium bodied with a big rush of pinpricks of carbonation.

This is one Unibroue offering that I would consider buying again. Although all of their products are in the good to great range, I'm just not a big fan of the styles. This beer is refreshing, light and pleasing. The first time I had it a few months ago, it was terrific with a chicken dish my sister made. In fact, it's the best beer I've found thus far to pair with chicken.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured a bottle from the Unibroue gift pack into a pint glass.

Nice clear yellow color, but damn was the head tight and cloud-like. The most stunning head I've ever seen. Wispy, clear white, about an inch high. Laces well and sticks around just forever. I bet I could have rested a quarter, even a marble, on it.

Wheat grassy and citrusy smell. More malty than I expected.

Nice dry flavor, but standard wit. I don't get as much citrus, nor spiciness, but it's pretty balanced.

Smooth, smooth and light. I wouldn't call it thin, but it's certainly very inoffensive.

Good beer, but nothing to separate from all the rest, except the higher price and a head that just won't quit.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a light straw color, two finger plus head. Good retention. Lots of bubbles. Smell is of fruit and malt. Body is light and carbonated. Taste is of banana and light spice. This a great light wheat beer. I wish I had bought more than one. Recommended!

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Straw yellow with off-white fizzy carbonation. Head breaks-down in chunky layers without lacing.

Aroma: Lemons, bananas and light malts. Maybe wheat, but that could be the yeast too.

Flavor: Almost tastes like water. Lightweights will love it, but not the burst of flavor that I've come to expect from Unibroue. Slight tartness on the finish helps give it a little life.

Mouthfeel: Thin if bordering on watery.

Drinkability: Very drinkable in the sense that it goes down easily, however, not all that interesting.

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue