Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Blanche De Chambly - Unibroue

Blanche De ChamblyBlanche De Chambly

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,001 | Hads: 2,199
4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Notes: I realized that I over-rated this one a bit, so I corrected myself.

Another Unibroue beer that blew me away on tap! This beer was served to me at Oncle Antoines in QC . It was presented to me with a nice white colour and a fluffy white head. The aromas were more substantial on tap and not subdued at all. (which some reviewers have mentioned in their reviews of the bottled version of this brew) The aromas were of coriander, citrus, spices, yeast and belgian sugars. The taste was wonderful. This is a very citrusy white/wit beer with a nice yeastyness that really adds to the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and the drinkability is that of liquid crack!

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color that, if not for the massive head on top of it, could be mistaken for an American Light Lager. It has great clarity, while the yeast is still on the bottom of the bottle. When the yeast is added, it darkens it a bit and clouds it up nicely. It's white head is huge and foamy and slowly shrinks down to a nice cap. Lots of bubbles from the high carbonation.

Smell: Fresh and tart with lots of lemon and a touch of fruit. Has the smallest suggestion of spices. Very inviting aroma...

Taste: Has a nice tartness from the wheat and a refreshing citrus flavor. Lots of lemon. Like in the aroma, the spices are 'really' subtle and buried under the other flavors. A hint of orange peel shows itself. The flavor is a bit thin until towards the bottom of the bottle, when the yeast helps to 'fill it out.' The yeast adds a nice breadiness and organic quality. This brew could use a bit more complexity, but it's still quite good.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy on the tongue due to the massive amount of carbonation. Just like with the flavor, adding the yeast greatly helps the mouthfeel, giving it more of a rounded feel. Finishes crisp and dry.

Drinkability: Very high...Belgian-style wit's are one of my favorite brews to turn to in the summer heat and humidity when heavier and stronger beers would make me drop. I could drink glass after glass of this...

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a very pale yellow but yeast is browny, makes for a dirtied-looking version of a wit. Had tons of carbonation streaming at breakneck speed, and thus a very thick bubbly head, slick lace, but then it all dissappears for the session. Nose was honey, cloves, and almost banana esters. Had a rounded sour character to it - very inviting for a witbier, and moves almost close to a trippel. Taste was softly sweet with a very tasty yet moderate wheat, lemony, and had a somewhat sour shading toward (but not at) the lactic end of things. Tasty yeast and a great finish – smooth and barely drying. Combine this all with a watery mouthfeel, and I got a refreshing beer that's easy to drink.

I guess people around here really don't care for wits, because this is a mark above Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, and other well-knowns. Oh well.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Color is a golden pale yellow, slightly hazy, with a tight bubbly head of frothy foam thats bumpy and about three fingers high. Smell is lemony/orange with a bit of spicyness to it, its quite the sniffer, very strong. Taste is more of the same, lemony/orange sweet with a slight spicyness with a hint of yeast and wheat grain. Its got a light spritzer wine feel and hold thats very citrusy and slightly drying with a dry spiceness. Its a good belgian style wheat that resembles some triples, it's mostly smooth and slightly sweet and tart with a good citrusy kick. Drinkable indeed, but watch out for the sneaky 5%.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was exspecting alot out of this White Beer, first because white was at the time likely my favorite style, and second, because I have sampled Maudite and La Fin Du Monde and know what Unibroue is capable of.

This beer did disappoint a bit although it is a well crafted white. Had this in mini-keg form and the little keg itself was worth the price with a cute little scene drawn on the front of rural Quebec.

Beer pours cloudy but light, with a good deal of setiment. Slight head which retains good lace. My real problem with the beer was its lacklustre taste. I was much more bland to me than the big two white beers (allagash and hoe). Tasted a bit watery when compareed to those. Still very drinkable and a great one to have if you just love White Beer.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Having tasted Unibroue's Fin du Monde, I was expecting a lot out of this beer. I bought 5 liter cask on a whim, and drank it with two friends in one sitting. This is a highly drinkable beer, and a beautiful sight to behold, a glimmering golden cloud when held in the light. A very yeasty beer... especially the dregs of the cask! As far as wheat beers go, I would definitely take an Alagash White or a Hoe over this stuff. Just not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. The taste was citric, but kind of boring. It had a bit of a novelty appeal, coming in a cask, but if I had it to do all over again I'd probably just spend my money on a few big bottles of Fin du Monde, which is a better beer for its style.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

This is an extremely light and refreshing beer from the folks at Unibroue. Pours a cloudy pale, straw yellow color with a light airy head, which leaves a thin lace that clings to the side of the glass. Aromas of citrus and yeast are detected. Flavors of lemon, orange, and mild hops are quite apparent. There was a mild, citrus after-taste in my mouth. If you enjoy the crispness of Wits, you will definitely like this one.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

A cloudy yellow orange pour with a decent white head that dies to a lace very quickly. The aroma is of malts and yeast.

It has pale malts with breads throughout most of the flavor. The aftertaste is nice and dry with lightly toasted white bread. The flavoring of this beer was weak. I expect a lot from Unibroue because of their excellence in their brews, and this was a little bit of a let down in the flavor category. It is a good drinker. Crisp and clean. It is just a bit boring because of the lack of complexity.

3.66/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I sampled this out of a 5L keg conditioned mini-keg that my buddies and I found at our local beer store. There is a very nice painting of a castle and lake on the front.

The beer poured a hazy yellow with a good level of carbonation and a generous light and fluffy head with great lace retention.

The smell was dominantly yeasty, so there were hints of citrus fruit and spices.

The taste reflected the smell, well balanced and light, neither the fruit nor spice flavor was dominant, but still for some reason it tasted a bit bland to me. Though, still very crisp and refreshing with a smooth finish.

We had no problem finishing this little cask, but no doubt I would have enjoyed this more had it been July instead of March. Overall this was a solid white beer, but not the best I?ve had, and definitely not the best Unibroue has to offer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F.

I poured a huge white head: more than half the glass. It collapses noisily to a sticky meringue. The beer is yellow and fairly clear.

The smell is strong: very spicy with some citrus. The front is very briefly sweet and almost dominated by the classic Unibroue spice. It turns suddenly dry, with a light middle. The alcohol is noticeable. The finish is crisp and just a little watery. The aftertaste is bitter, freshened by alcohol. Overall it's a good beer. The spice dominates the other good flavors. Can I put a slice of orange in this?

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz. Bottle:

Being of a fan of the beers (Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Raftman) I've had from Unibroue this far, I thought I would try the Blanche de Chambly. This beer pours a hazy yellow with a white foaming head, awesome head retention here. Leaves lace all the way down the glass until the beer is finished. Aroma is spiced up faint banana and clove you gotta love that yeast. Malt and citrus tones are also present in the aroma. A great representation of the style at this point, and it delivers a semi-sweet crispness blended with spices. It finishes with a sour note that usually isn't present in witbiers (possibly starting to turn). Pretty drinkable overall with a medium to light body, and a very thin mouthfeel to it. The finish of this beer is not cutting it for me, would have enjoyed it a lot more but I couldn't get over the sour note that seemed uncharacteristic, and it wasn't palatable either.

750ml corked:

Yeah, I just got back from Canada and brought 3 bottles of Unibroue 750ml (La Fin du Monde, Maudite, and Blanche de Chambly) that I picked up for 5 bucks canadian, how great is that. Well, in comparison the 12 oz bottle this one appears a deeper golden haze with same yellow frothing head. Leaves a collar of lace around the head, but no lace is forming evenly througout the glass. The aroma is full of spices, banana, and a slightly citrus tone is also present very pleasant. The flavor is wheat based with many complements tantalizing the taste buds at the same time, such as a bubbly sharp sweetness of citrus mellowed by spices and a banana flavor created by the yeast. The mouthfeel is pretty much similar to some seltzer water with the high carbonation, but after having this mussels steamed in this the other night at Smokeless Joe's I can't get enough of it. Overall very drinkable beer that sits up there with the best witbier in the world my Hoegaarden. Very drinkable especially on tap, and just as easy to drink out of the bottle solid belgian style wit here for all to enjoy.

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

This is a fantastic rendition of wit-bier (the second beer-style in the progression through my favorites up to date)! Unibroue did a bang-up job with this one. Superb balance between the tart, breadiness of the wheat and the spices. Many brewers over-spice their beers and that can really kill a wit, but this is well-balanced... just enough to be able to taste it. It has a refreshing, spritzy carbonation level and is super thirst-quenching.

I polished off the entire 750 ml bottle rather quickly, though I erupted several times in an ecstatic, "Mmm! That's good!"

If you've never tried a wit before, this is a good place to start. Then try a Wittekerke.

4.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent New World execution of the traditional Witbier. Perhaps not an ideal beer for this time of year (February) but I will be purchasing more for this coming summer without a doubt.
Initial pour reveals a gorgeous golden brew with a pillowy white head that is dense and sticky and slow to fade.
Initial taste shows a beer with a light body, dominated by a powerful almost citric crispness balanced by an excellent grain flavour. Spices come into play soon after - pepper, coriander, some dried fruit - all building off the citrus, hops and fruity yeasts. The finish is intensely dry and refeshing.
I have never tasted a Witbier from the United States that comes even close to this beer. Fabulous - a true session beer.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have heard very much about Unibroue and this is my first sample..
The colour is a very murky light straw and the crown is huge disapating to a large island lace..full to medium body with a definite crisp citron aroma. The taste is of lemons with a dry finish.
Very nice offering but I was a bit disappointed as to my expectations.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a bubbly white head that subsided leaving trace lace. A small amout of carbonation was present. It had a light aroma of hops, lemon and spice. The flavor was light and crisp with elements of citrus and grain. All in all, not a bad beer for this style, but not to the level that you would expect from this brewery.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured to a nice flurry merangue head, and after swirling in the yeast had a nice cloudy golden color. Its smell was of fresh lemon, floral fruits and a yeasty backbone. The taste followed suit with a nice clean and refreshing start that opened up lemon and citrus flavors and a nice wheaty presence. The mouth feel was nice and full for this light style and drinkability is fantastic. Get me going with these on a hot summer day at a cook out and you might have to wheel me home. They go down effortlessly. I love Hoeggarden by the bottle and even better on tab at my local tap room, but this has to be my second favorite wit beer and will make the rotation. I only wish it was priced lower but what are you going to do.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

This is an averahe beer from a stellar brewery. Maybe I have just come to expect to much from these guys. The beer looks lager with a thicker white head and a bit more carbonation. The smell is the usual for the style without a really strong coriander kick. The taste has a more mellow citrus flavor than I would prefer, and overall the flavor department just seems thin. Not very drinkable because of these negatives.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz. bottle, from the same source as my last Unibroue debacle. No worries here though. Pale yellow color, foamer of a head. Sticky white to beige bubbles, laced the glass nicely. This one is clearly not past it's prime. Nice hop inspired citrus smell. Taste follows, very tart, puckering snap to it. Subtle spices. Creamy sweet malt in the middle. Full bodied for such a crisp refreshing beer. Only the slightest trace of tart fruit taste lingers. Very good, way up on my list as a summer refresher. A small notch below Allagash White, and better than the others in it's class.

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

A 750ml Bottle of Blanche de Chambly. I love the picture label for this beer, for some reason it works well and attracts me. I used a tall Erdinger WeißBier Glass for drinking this beer, it worked a treat and really put me in the mood for a Wheat.
Carefully poured it has a reasonably active head at first. It is one of those that froth’s up immensely as it hits the glass. But then this soon settles to a thin white collar, which is not unusual for this style of beer. When drinking a thin lace appears, but then slides back into the beer and leaves only the merest white bubble patch that hints that the glass was full at some point. At this point it does indeed look like a restrained Glass of Champagne that has been stood for a short while.
Has a surprisingly clear complexion, a yellowy-golden color with an ever present slight milky haze, but it still looks quite clear.
The aromas are almost edible, just superb, quite gorgeous and the quintessential white beer nose. Fruity, fresh, inspiring with some lemons and hops - but very little spices.
As the beer lands in the mouth, a huge tingling sensation is experienced as it carbonates on your tongue, this leads nicely to a fulfilling mouthfeel, which peaks at the beginning and quickly subsides with the beer itself. Tastes are slightly lemony, hoppy, fresh, zingy and immensely refreshing. A truly great drinking beer and highly quaffable.
Carbonation is great, just taking a swig, and then replacing the glass to its beermat reveals an explosion of small bubbles that swirl and race to a settled head after a little time. Finish is a little dry, and retains a nice crisp bitterness. Aftertastes are strong and linger around longer for some time.

When I first tasted this in December 2001 (before I joined BA.com), I recall that I thought it was a little thin. I suppose it still is to some degree and this would be my only comment, as opposed to criticism. But this is only a 5% White Beer after all, and that has to be remembered. Now if they made an 8% version of this – well now we would be talking!

Nevertheless, Quite Exceptional.

4.11/5  rDev +6.2%

I concur with the review below that this looks like champagne, and has no head atop. Smells delicious, as all Unibroue brews have so far, fruity and yeasty. Mmmmm.

The feel is a tad thin, possibly because of the somewhat low alcohol content? Also leaves a thin, filmy aftertaste but isn't so bad. Kind of plain I must say. Not a bad brew by any means but I was a tad disappointed considering the other Unibroues I have had. Great smell, but very very champagne like in all characteristics. I'd definitely have it again though, but can't see myself putting good money towards it.

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%

Champagne-like in appearance, clear gold and effervescent, with a billowy, perfectly white head. The aroma is yeasty, with light grapefruit notes and a light, spicy hoppiness. In the mouth this beer is crisp and tingly with a light feel. Flavor contains a light graininess, understated hops, a hint of banana, and a tart citric fruitiness. Finish is dry and long-lasting. I tried this with and without the yeast, and found that it has a bit more depth and body with. A good wit!

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opaque grapefruit juice color, creamy head od 1/4 of an inch, not as large as some. Little lacing. A white wine grape nose, some prickly pepper smells. Starts off very fruity, grape, lots of lemon, and some cider qualities. Thins mid mouth, and finishes somewhat dry with carbonation. Some sense of pineapple, especially in the aftertaste, Overall, pretty reserved in flavor profile, a little tight to my tongue with some reminders of carbonated water. Of the Unibroues, this is the most ordinary -- but then Wits are rarely my style.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Well, this is quite a contrast to the winter beers I've been drinking lately, but that's not such a bad thing, not at all. A hazy white-golden body forms inside of the curved glass, and a thick white foam quickly takes over atop it. Don't pour this one hard! Aroma of strong spices and dried fruit, very nice. Pepper, clove, and raisin to be exact. As for the palate, it's surprising that this beer is so flavorful, having such a light body. The spicy products of the yeast, pepper and clove, are dominant. Dried fruit is underneath. Malt is present, but quite subtle. Hops are more noticeable and add a bit to the spiciness. Just a few banana esters in there. Very well done beer. Perfection for a wit. Quite drinkable, definitely a session beer or a summer refresher. Should also pair easily with fine foods.

I was out with the wife at a French restaurant when I spied this on the menu. I ordered it, and they delivered it with a glass with a lemon. Sacra Bleau! After I discarded the "lemon", I poured the beer into the glass. Very light color with a thin white head. The taste was surprising for such a light beer, Good hops and that certain "Je ne sa qui" of the Unibroue beers. I made a mental note to myself to remember this beer as the temperatures rise.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

A few words about Unibroue, one of the best breweries on the North American continent, the line up of beers they produce is one of the best anywhere; “La Fin Du Monde” along with Trois Pistoles, La Maudite, and Unibroue 10 and 11 all rank in my top 100. I have a couple each of these aging away and will rate them here in the coming months. Do yourself a favor, if you have not sampled one of their beers, do so; I don’t think you will be disappointed.

The beer pours a very light somewhat “Chill Hazed” lemon yellow color, the head Herculean in size, the texture creamy with jumbo sheets of lace clinging mightily to the glass, both a dazzling white. Nose is malt laden, crisp and fresh, citrus tones also present. Front is sweet malt, the top lean with a tart and perilously acidic bite, chased by the pleasing hop spiciness. The aftertaste long lasting and quite dry, quite quaffable, but I tend to like the more robust beers from this brewery, but if you’re into “Wit” beers, give it a sample.

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue