Join our email list →

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Witbier | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blanche De Chambly Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,009 | Hads: 2,259
3.87/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle, no freshness date. A pale cloudy gold, it had a big white head to start off with, but it soon dissipated. Yeasty aroma, coriander, a bit of citrus (orange peel?), small amount of sweet malt. Flavour is light and spicy, coriander seed is most predominate followed by a bit of citrus. A decent White, but not the top offering from Unibroue. Still, a decent starter for those who have yet to sample their line, it gets better from here.

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%

This particular brew poured a large white foamy head with fine-large bubbles that quickly dissolved. There was very little lacing observed on the sides of my glass. There was a slight spicy aroma to this brew. The body was pale yellow. The taste was smooth, thin and watery. In my opinion this Belgian White lacked character as there was nothing special about it.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

This brew poured a very large head of fine to medium sized bubbles that receedes quickly and leaves no lacing. It has a cloudy yellow body with some dark somethings floating it it. It has a mild malt aroma, a nice smooth start with a slightly tingly mouthfeel finish. Very clean taste that is unremarkable. Not bad, more like nothing there. Strangely, overall, I still liked it.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance a cloudy light yellow...consistent champagne like bubbles. Smell is light and lets you anticipate what the flavor will be like. Taste was light, yet refreshing with just a hint of tartness. Similar to a light beer, but with a lot more flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth, just a tad watery, but the flavor kept it interesting. Extremely easy to drink. After drinking an IPA for my last offering, the contrast was great. Recommend, especially for a warm summer day.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Light, bread-y aroma, with a hint of cinnamon? Certainly spicy, but hard to discern, and I am no great judge of spice.

Fast, hissing head, soda-like, fades to a blotchy, creamy skin. Lacing is slight.

Body is very light, a cloudy ginger-ale color.

Taste is immediately sharp and spicy, and I detect lemon and other citrus flavors. Thin and foamy in the mouth.

This takes some getting used to, especially for those who are new to the style. This is one of my first true white beers. I keep wanting to gulp it! It's quite refreshing, quite drinkable, but there is something off-putting about its lightness. I may have to revisit this review after I have had more of this style of beer.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%

Presented in a 4 pack of 12 oz, foil sealed bottles with freshness dates on the bottle.

This beer from Unibroue pours a pale, sunlight yellow with a ½ foamy, white head. The head retention is not great as it fades rather quickly and leaves limited to average lacing.

Aromas of orange, citrus, coriander, honey, and wheat emanate from the glass, however I did not detect much, if any spice or hops.

The taste is very similar to most whites with the noticeable lack of spicy finish. The front of the taste is a citrusy sweet flavor with tones of wheat, coriander, and honey. But the finish is very flat and lacking the spice and hop kick that I was expecting and used to in this style. The mouth feel and drinkability for this beer were nothing more than average for the style.

This was the first Unibroue product I have sampled and I have to say I was very disappointed due to the hype and positive feed back I have heard about the beers that this Canadian Brewery produces. I will just have to sample the five Unibroue beers I have waiting in my cellar.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

Hazy yellow pour, thick, white and long-lasting head which laces nicely. Aroma is yeasty, malty, some banana, lemon and hint of vanilla. Flavor is mainly banana, some bubblegum sneaking in, and a bit of vanilla sliding in at the end. Medium body, lively carbonation. Doesn't seem to have the typical spices of the wit style.

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a thick, very foamy head. Slowly settles down unevenly -- looks good. Pale, yellowish, very light. Rich, hearty aroma. Smells of wheat, not as lemony as many others. Tastes good. Feels a little "scooty" in the mouth. Not bad, but not as crisp as some others. Pleasant wheat aftertaste, but it's a little funny. Somewhat bitter. Going to enjoy this one, but I'm not going to rush for another.

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Notes: I realized that I over-rated this one a bit, so I corrected myself.

Another Unibroue beer that blew me away on tap! This beer was served to me at Oncle Antoines in QC . It was presented to me with a nice white colour and a fluffy white head. The aromas were more substantial on tap and not subdued at all. (which some reviewers have mentioned in their reviews of the bottled version of this brew) The aromas were of coriander, citrus, spices, yeast and belgian sugars. The taste was wonderful. This is a very citrusy white/wit beer with a nice yeastyness that really adds to the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and the drinkability is that of liquid crack!
cheers!
-F

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color that, if not for the massive head on top of it, could be mistaken for an American Light Lager. It has great clarity, while the yeast is still on the bottom of the bottle. When the yeast is added, it darkens it a bit and clouds it up nicely. It's white head is huge and foamy and slowly shrinks down to a nice cap. Lots of bubbles from the high carbonation.

Smell: Fresh and tart with lots of lemon and a touch of fruit. Has the smallest suggestion of spices. Very inviting aroma...

Taste: Has a nice tartness from the wheat and a refreshing citrus flavor. Lots of lemon. Like in the aroma, the spices are 'really' subtle and buried under the other flavors. A hint of orange peel shows itself. The flavor is a bit thin until towards the bottom of the bottle, when the yeast helps to 'fill it out.' The yeast adds a nice breadiness and organic quality. This brew could use a bit more complexity, but it's still quite good.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy on the tongue due to the massive amount of carbonation. Just like with the flavor, adding the yeast greatly helps the mouthfeel, giving it more of a rounded feel. Finishes crisp and dry.

Drinkability: Very high...Belgian-style wit's are one of my favorite brews to turn to in the summer heat and humidity when heavier and stronger beers would make me drop. I could drink glass after glass of this...

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a very pale yellow but yeast is browny, makes for a dirtied-looking version of a wit. Had tons of carbonation streaming at breakneck speed, and thus a very thick bubbly head, slick lace, but then it all dissappears for the session. Nose was honey, cloves, and almost banana esters. Had a rounded sour character to it - very inviting for a witbier, and moves almost close to a trippel. Taste was softly sweet with a very tasty yet moderate wheat, lemony, and had a somewhat sour shading toward (but not at) the lactic end of things. Tasty yeast and a great finish – smooth and barely drying. Combine this all with a watery mouthfeel, and I got a refreshing beer that's easy to drink.

I guess people around here really don't care for wits, because this is a mark above Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, and other well-knowns. Oh well.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Color is a golden pale yellow, slightly hazy, with a tight bubbly head of frothy foam thats bumpy and about three fingers high. Smell is lemony/orange with a bit of spicyness to it, its quite the sniffer, very strong. Taste is more of the same, lemony/orange sweet with a slight spicyness with a hint of yeast and wheat grain. Its got a light spritzer wine feel and hold thats very citrusy and slightly drying with a dry spiceness. Its a good belgian style wheat that resembles some triples, it's mostly smooth and slightly sweet and tart with a good citrusy kick. Drinkable indeed, but watch out for the sneaky 5%.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was exspecting alot out of this White Beer, first because white was at the time likely my favorite style, and second, because I have sampled Maudite and La Fin Du Monde and know what Unibroue is capable of.

This beer did disappoint a bit although it is a well crafted white. Had this in mini-keg form and the little keg itself was worth the price with a cute little scene drawn on the front of rural Quebec.

Beer pours cloudy but light, with a good deal of setiment. Slight head which retains good lace. My real problem with the beer was its lacklustre taste. I was much more bland to me than the big two white beers (allagash and hoe). Tasted a bit watery when compareed to those. Still very drinkable and a great one to have if you just love White Beer.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Having tasted Unibroue's Fin du Monde, I was expecting a lot out of this beer. I bought 5 liter cask on a whim, and drank it with two friends in one sitting. This is a highly drinkable beer, and a beautiful sight to behold, a glimmering golden cloud when held in the light. A very yeasty beer... especially the dregs of the cask! As far as wheat beers go, I would definitely take an Alagash White or a Hoe over this stuff. Just not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. The taste was citric, but kind of boring. It had a bit of a novelty appeal, coming in a cask, but if I had it to do all over again I'd probably just spend my money on a few big bottles of Fin du Monde, which is a better beer for its style.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

This is an extremely light and refreshing beer from the folks at Unibroue. Pours a cloudy pale, straw yellow color with a light airy head, which leaves a thin lace that clings to the side of the glass. Aromas of citrus and yeast are detected. Flavors of lemon, orange, and mild hops are quite apparent. There was a mild, citrus after-taste in my mouth. If you enjoy the crispness of Wits, you will definitely like this one.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

A cloudy yellow orange pour with a decent white head that dies to a lace very quickly. The aroma is of malts and yeast.

It has pale malts with breads throughout most of the flavor. The aftertaste is nice and dry with lightly toasted white bread. The flavoring of this beer was weak. I expect a lot from Unibroue because of their excellence in their brews, and this was a little bit of a let down in the flavor category. It is a good drinker. Crisp and clean. It is just a bit boring because of the lack of complexity.

3.66/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I sampled this out of a 5L keg conditioned mini-keg that my buddies and I found at our local beer store. There is a very nice painting of a castle and lake on the front.

The beer poured a hazy yellow with a good level of carbonation and a generous light and fluffy head with great lace retention.

The smell was dominantly yeasty, so there were hints of citrus fruit and spices.

The taste reflected the smell, well balanced and light, neither the fruit nor spice flavor was dominant, but still for some reason it tasted a bit bland to me. Though, still very crisp and refreshing with a smooth finish.

We had no problem finishing this little cask, but no doubt I would have enjoyed this more had it been July instead of March. Overall this was a solid white beer, but not the best I?ve had, and definitely not the best Unibroue has to offer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F.

I poured a huge white head: more than half the glass. It collapses noisily to a sticky meringue. The beer is yellow and fairly clear.

The smell is strong: very spicy with some citrus. The front is very briefly sweet and almost dominated by the classic Unibroue spice. It turns suddenly dry, with a light middle. The alcohol is noticeable. The finish is crisp and just a little watery. The aftertaste is bitter, freshened by alcohol. Overall it's a good beer. The spice dominates the other good flavors. Can I put a slice of orange in this?

12oz. Bottle:

Being of a fan of the beers (Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Raftman) I've had from Unibroue this far, I thought I would try the Blanche de Chambly. This beer pours a hazy yellow with a white foaming head, awesome head retention here. Leaves lace all the way down the glass until the beer is finished. Aroma is spiced up faint banana and clove you gotta love that yeast. Malt and citrus tones are also present in the aroma. A great representation of the style at this point, and it delivers a semi-sweet crispness blended with spices. It finishes with a sour note that usually isn't present in witbiers (possibly starting to turn). Pretty drinkable overall with a medium to light body, and a very thin mouthfeel to it. The finish of this beer is not cutting it for me, would have enjoyed it a lot more but I couldn't get over the sour note that seemed uncharacteristic, and it wasn't palatable either.

750ml corked:

Yeah, I just got back from Canada and brought 3 bottles of Unibroue 750ml (La Fin du Monde, Maudite, and Blanche de Chambly) that I picked up for 5 bucks canadian, how great is that. Well, in comparison the 12 oz bottle this one appears a deeper golden haze with same yellow frothing head. Leaves a collar of lace around the head, but no lace is forming evenly througout the glass. The aroma is full of spices, banana, and a slightly citrus tone is also present very pleasant. The flavor is wheat based with many complements tantalizing the taste buds at the same time, such as a bubbly sharp sweetness of citrus mellowed by spices and a banana flavor created by the yeast. The mouthfeel is pretty much similar to some seltzer water with the high carbonation, but after having this mussels steamed in this the other night at Smokeless Joe's I can't get enough of it. Overall very drinkable beer that sits up there with the best witbier in the world my Hoegaarden. Very drinkable especially on tap, and just as easy to drink out of the bottle solid belgian style wit here for all to enjoy.

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

This is a fantastic rendition of wit-bier (the second beer-style in the progression through my favorites up to date)! Unibroue did a bang-up job with this one. Superb balance between the tart, breadiness of the wheat and the spices. Many brewers over-spice their beers and that can really kill a wit, but this is well-balanced... just enough to be able to taste it. It has a refreshing, spritzy carbonation level and is super thirst-quenching.

I polished off the entire 750 ml bottle rather quickly, though I erupted several times in an ecstatic, "Mmm! That's good!"

If you've never tried a wit before, this is a good place to start. Then try a Wittekerke.

4.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent New World execution of the traditional Witbier. Perhaps not an ideal beer for this time of year (February) but I will be purchasing more for this coming summer without a doubt.
Initial pour reveals a gorgeous golden brew with a pillowy white head that is dense and sticky and slow to fade.
Initial taste shows a beer with a light body, dominated by a powerful almost citric crispness balanced by an excellent grain flavour. Spices come into play soon after - pepper, coriander, some dried fruit - all building off the citrus, hops and fruity yeasts. The finish is intensely dry and refeshing.
I have never tasted a Witbier from the United States that comes even close to this beer. Fabulous - a true session beer.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have heard very much about Unibroue and this is my first sample..
The colour is a very murky light straw and the crown is huge disapating to a large island lace..full to medium body with a definite crisp citron aroma. The taste is of lemons with a dry finish.
Very nice offering but I was a bit disappointed as to my expectations.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a bubbly white head that subsided leaving trace lace. A small amout of carbonation was present. It had a light aroma of hops, lemon and spice. The flavor was light and crisp with elements of citrus and grain. All in all, not a bad beer for this style, but not to the level that you would expect from this brewery.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured to a nice flurry merangue head, and after swirling in the yeast had a nice cloudy golden color. Its smell was of fresh lemon, floral fruits and a yeasty backbone. The taste followed suit with a nice clean and refreshing start that opened up lemon and citrus flavors and a nice wheaty presence. The mouth feel was nice and full for this light style and drinkability is fantastic. Get me going with these on a hot summer day at a cook out and you might have to wheel me home. They go down effortlessly. I love Hoeggarden by the bottle and even better on tab at my local tap room, but this has to be my second favorite wit beer and will make the rotation. I only wish it was priced lower but what are you going to do.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

This is an averahe beer from a stellar brewery. Maybe I have just come to expect to much from these guys. The beer looks lager with a thicker white head and a bit more carbonation. The smell is the usual for the style without a really strong coriander kick. The taste has a more mellow citrus flavor than I would prefer, and overall the flavor department just seems thin. Not very drinkable because of these negatives.

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue