Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,870 | Hads: 4,309

not as knowledgeable as other reviewers here it seems. All I know is I love this brew. Wish it was a little cheaper since at $10 or so a bottle even pouring 2 glasses is pricy .... but that is me.

La Maudite was WONDERFUL.

This hazy orangish brown beer has an exceptional sweet taste, but not too sweet. Not at all bitter.

This is by far my Favorite beer. I had a beer in a Chicago Brewery that tasted just like it. I Loved it, I have been looking for something similar ever since. This is it. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. It's a little pricey, but worth it.

Appearance: Cloudy copper with light amber hues.

Smell: Yeast, Red Fruit, Cake Icing, Butterscotch

Taste: Definitely the cake frosting/icing but not sweet - in a good way - a little spice and coriander with the dark fruit spreading toward the finish.

Mouthfeel: All elements have engaged my tongue - great mouthfeel. One of the best I've had.

Drinkability: A sipper for me. I love this beer. Over the top in all aspects. Not easy to drink - but pleasant to drink.

Head : Thick Firm Full of spices.
Body : Smooth clear amber color.
Taste : Fruity Malt flavor with spices and nut flavor .
Aftertaste: Almost winey warming affect in the end.

Very strong but verry easy to drink.

I LOVE to drink this beer. It's got the perfect amount of spicy and flavor to make me feel warm and fuzzy. I love to serve it to customers that have never had a craft beer before. I've never had anything but big big smiles and return orders over and over again!

I'm new to the craft scene, although I've been learning and exploring now for a couple of years. I never drank beer before, and now I am loving it more and more and more. Who knew it could be this amazing.

Although I am still really nice and sweet when somebody just wants a coors light or bud light. We don't serve it at our bar, but I still am kind and guide them to some new flavors. I dont' necessarily take them to the Maudite, but I would never not, and have, depending on our conversation.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Picked up a 750ml bottle not too long ago, and I think I wanna try it in my new Duvel tulip. Best by date of 4/06/14.

A - Pours a kind of murky mahogany, with fine foam about 2 1/2 fingers high with nice retentinon. Takes a minute or two to fade, leaving some very nice lacing.

S - Holy crap that's a lot to take in. Spicy, peppercorns, crisp alcohol. Yeasty, fruity, and very warming.

T - Candied fruit. The yeast is pretty obvious, sweet, bready, and kinda spicy near the end, with a mellow bitter finish. Very light hoppiness.

M - Very fine foam gives it a delightful balance between pleasantly fizzy and creamy smooth. Warming alcohol isn't unpleasant, like it can be with other brews.

O - Easily one of the best beers that I have ever had the joy of becoming acquainted with. It's got body, smell, presentation... all of it. It might very well be the nectar of the gods.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This is a sophisticated beer not for everyone. There is a sweetness, but it is well-balanced with a yeasty spice. It would be a great beer with spicy food like pad thai or kung pao chicken. With a deep amber color and a one-finger head, the beer looks great in the glass. Maudite is a wonderful and drinkable beer.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This is definately among my top beers. It also has the coolest label I've ever seen. It pours a hazy amber color with a huge, well-retained head. Amazing spicy aroma and taste. I presume that they added some sort of spices to this. I'd like to find out which ones, because this sounds like it would be fun as a homebrew. Apparently maudite means damned. I never thought that being damned was a good thing.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

I love everything about this beer - the taste, the appearance, the macabre label. Unibroue does everything right with this brew. It pours an impenetrable dark brown color that takes on an almost plum color in the glass. There is a slight head which evaporates quickly leaving a bit of lacy head retention. The nose is very fruity, with pear and apple notes as well as a peppery spiciness. The taste reflects the excellence I have generally come to expect from Unibroue. It has a complex but perfectly balanced flavor that contains fruit notes, bread maltiness and hints of clove and nutmeg. The finish is fruity, with a slight hint of wood. This is a fine example of a traditional Belgian Ale and a really satisfying beer. In spite of the high ABV, I could see myself drinking this as a session beer.

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a hazy light mahogany color with a frothy off-white head. Nice head retention and eventually dissipates into a nice lace. Fruity and spicy aromas up front with a bit alcohol. Taste is very complex. There is a bit of a fruity sweetness up front with tastes of banana, honey, and caramel. Next comes a citrus/lemon tart sting in the mouth along with a bit of nuttiness and biscuity flavor. The finish is a dry and bread-like with some hoppy phenols. Considering it’s 8%, you really can’t detect much alcohol. This is an outstanding beer. As for the demon and the flying canoe on the bottle, here’s the story from the Unibroue website – “Maudite has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.”

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

The appearance was fantastic, just enough head, and a deep brownish red color. My mouth was watering the moment I saw it. The smell was deep oaks and wood, with bound up sweetness and caramel, the last being the true prize to be found in this beer. The taste is deep, strong, and with hints of caramel on the tail. One of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spectacular. It's complex and full bodied, a true work of genuine craftsmanship.

The mouthfeel is rich, and full, with a slight slickness, felt about the same time the caramel comes out.

Absolutely amazing beer, highly recommended to anyone and everyone you CANNOT go wrong!

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

When I poured from the bottle a lt brown, Medium full bodied amber colored brew with a nice, generous white head with a silky smooth feel. Aromas of Belgian yeast centering on fruity citrus and resin and slight roasted malt. Highly recommended to those who appreciate a great tasting beer. Also has several Gold awards.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Pours a hazy maroon color with a big white head, into my schell's tulip. Smells yeasty, spicy, and very intriguing. Taste was very vinous, with lots of spice and malt presence, excellent hop finish, serve at cellar temperature for best results. If this is "The Damned" I can't wait to try the Gift of God...

4.92/5  rDev +18%

I had this in a 750ML corked bottle after keeping in my cellar for a year and a half. Poured into a Chalice.

A- When I poured this the colour was a nice deep opaque brown, with a nice thick head, I was very impressed with the look of this.

S- Maudite has a very distinct smell which includes hints of banana and vanilla, with spicy overtones.

T- Exceptional taste, fruity start with a light spicy finish, well rounded

M- very smooth, full bodied, very clean finish for a strong ale

D- As this is a strong ale, I expected it to have the strong tripel style finish, but this was very smooth and quite drinkable. I had this in storage in my cellar for a year and a half waiting for a special occasion to drink, my son was born so figured a great time to open. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

tulip glass used as recommended.
poured a tea brown, that is very cloudy in appearance. yeast present as it is a beer on lees. carbonated and looks amazing.
Smell is an amazing breadish malt. Smells very sweet, and a warm alcohol presence. very fruity and warm.
taste is a heavenly caramel apple taste. I just dont want this glass to end. has a decent bitter that ends with the taste. a little spicy but wonderful.
carbonated and warm almost welcomes the palate with every drink, i dont think i could get enough of this. at all. as it says... its a DAMN FINE ALE!!!! amazing...

4.91/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Bright reddish amber pour produces a 1” finely bubbled tan foam cap that kicks up splotchy lace.
S: Over ripe fruit, malty fruit cake, light fruit.
T: Big malt and big Belgian yeasts join to develop fruit cake, over ripe fruit, banana, caramel, dark sugars, spice and anise flavors.
F: Highly carbonated, medium to medium light body, creamy.
O: One of the better Belgian Strong Dark Ales available.

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

A huge beautiful head with R&L. Rusty red with some black creeping in, forboding. Spicy and fruity in the nose with hints of yeast and chocolate, intriguing. Flavor is gorgeous but haunting - strawberry, spice, dark and long. A bit spritzy then smooth. Damn me.

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

Upon opening the bottle I smelt the cork and smelt very much like a merlot, very intrigued to try this.

Appearance-Shades of Amber and Brown, carbonation floating up to the top. Foamy and firm 2 finger light brown head leaving some lacing thats dripping down the side of the glass.

Smell-Just like the cork, smells like a red wine; Black pepper, dark fruits, clove, light booziness. However the yeast really comes through as well. This is an extremely inviting aroma, I think I'm going to love this.

Taste-Sweet, candied dark fruits. Some crisp apple and spice as well. Just enough booze coats the mouth to know that you're drinking 8% alcohol. Like to note that it's almost like an apple cider meets a red wine. Very very complex and it's so drinkable and so balanced. This is a very intriguing and impressive brew.

Mouthfeel-Just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate that makes you want to keep picking up the glass for another sip. Medium bodied with light booziness.

Overall-First overall "5" I've given. A great experience of flavors, so complex, so drinkable, so refreshing. Great desert beer or pre-dinner beer. Love it. Go get it if you can.

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honestly, this beer completely blew me away. I picked this up at Epcot in Disney World at the Canadian restaurant Le Cellier. Had it with my meal and it was incredible. The smell had an incredible aroma of spices mixed in and the taste was even better. Instantly one of my favorite beers and one that I will look for everywhere.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

On my beer travels there has always been one brew that I always come back to.
Maudite has a deep as hell (pun intended) colour, with a beautiful white foamy peak.
It has very characteristic flavour. Dark & fruity with spice.
A very fine Belgian style beer. Must try.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

I love this beer. It looks and tastes excellent. I have had it out of bottles (large and small) and draft. I now possess the Maudite goblet as part of the Unibroue brewers' series, which adds pretty much nothing but anyway. One problem is that if you take a 22oz of this on board, that's gonna be pretty much it for the night, don't plan on returning any emails or doing anything else except grinning vaguely at ppl.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance - Cloudy, red-amber. It really captures the light and looks fiery like one would expect from a beer called "the damned". Massive three-finger head at first pour that hung around for a few minutes. This later turned into nice lacing, but as the beer warmed the lacing became extremely light.

Smell - Sweet fruity malts, floral hops and lots of spice. Orange, clove and coriander really come through. Faint yeast, not as prevalent as some of the other Unibroue's.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Starting off on the colder side, the orange is prominent with a yeast/carbonation bite to finish. As it warms, other malt flavors are allowed to bloom. As it reaches optimal drinking temperature, the spices take over along with a light yeast. Coriander and clove. Bitter-sweet and exceptionally crisp & smooth. When you finish a sip, your mouth is clean, ready for another.

Overall - This is one of my favorites. The color draws you in. The flavor and feel really delivers. If I could afford to drink this weekly, I would.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

I tried this beer after sampling trois pistoles from Unibroue. Maudite holds its own against trois pistoles or any other beer I have ever had. Very fruity, spicy aroma, and popping with carbonation. Perfect balance of malt and hops make this beer good for the IPA and cream ale crowd. An excellent introduction to a great brewery and line of beers.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Two to three fingers of a active/bubbly off-white head; body is a deep mahogany with amber hues along the bottom edge of the glass. Head retains as a small ring, and yeast from bottle fermentation settles along the bottom of the tulip.
S: Spicy, and citrus. Reminiscent of a spicy witbier.
T: Heavy wheat flavors with a touch of dark spice; malty character is balanced by a touch of hops; residuals of spices left gracefully on the tongue.
M: Medium-bodied with appropriate carbonation.
D: Very smooth, with the alcohol unnoticed. Easy and pleasant to drink, meanwhile maintaining a heap of complexity. Most drinkable Belgian Strong I've had.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is my second Unibroue experience, and I must say it is even better than the first. This beer has a captivating bright red color with copper highlights and an off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, but lingers the entire glass and leaves a nice lace. The aroma is sweet and rather like a fine merlot. The taste is exquisite, without a trace of alcohol. Maltiness is evident, and a fruity sweetness is present in the finish. I can mainly taste ripe plum, but I am reminded of a good sweet red wine. The best (or perhaps worst) characteristic is it is a pleasure to drink. Again, this is an elite beer from Unibroue. I am truly beginning to understand why Belgian style beers become so alluring to so many.

Maudite from Unibroue