Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 4,283
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

a: Nice amber red hue. I poured carefully so nice and clear with visible streams of bubbles.. Light off white head with some lacing.
s: powery Unibroue style yeast smells.
t: Sharp carbonation hits tip of tonge. Bitterness comes earlier than other beers, but goes well with the brown sugary sweetness.
m: full bodied...somewhat creamy with carbonation.
d: decent brew. High alcohol keeps this from being a session beer. (424 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a extremely hazy dark brown color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade with big bubbles. This causes the head to fade away in a semi-rapid fashion - however it still retains one finger of height extremely well.

S: This seems to feature more caramel and toffee than the typical BSDA. Other notes of candied sugar, white grapes, and apple round out the dark malt qualities. I could use a bit more chocolate on the nose, but I can't complain about what I'm getting here.

T: Immediately I notice rich fruit esters, such as cherry, grape, and apple. There don't seem to be any significant dark fruit qualities aside from a touch of raisin in the middle of the flavor profile. Some of the malt flavors pop up near the back end; like I suggested on the nose, it's more caramel and toffee than chocolate (however I do pick up a bit of the latter from time to time). The balance of flavors is solid, and the alcohol is hidden spectacularly given its dry lightness.

M: It feels quite angular on the palate - I expected a bit more initial creaminess to balance the dry finish a bit. That's to say nothing of the strong carbonation, either. It seems to be designed to be very drinkable, and in that regard, it's extremely successful.

O: Okay, it's not my favorite offering from Unibroue - but that's a bit like saying this is the least attractive woman in a group of Miss America finalists. It's still a solid BSDA focused on drinkability over depth. In addendum, this was likely an older bottle; I wonder if this would be sweeter/less dry fresh. (1,585 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Maudite is a hazy, dark amber-red color. Head is thick, off-white, and very tall. Retention is very good. The appearance of this beer is almost perfect. Aroma is sweet and spicy, most reminiscent of cinnamon. All in all, a nice smell, but one-sided. The start of a sip is a combination is sweet cinnamon and peppery spice. A candi sugar sweetness enters the picture about mid-sip and helps regulate the pepperiness. Some citrissy fruitiness is in the mix as well. Finish is very abrupt. Overall, I found this enjoyable, but the flavor was a bit thin. Considering how high this beer is rated, I'm a bit disappointed. Anyway, I'll probably sample this again to make sure I'm not missing anything. (694 characters)

Feb 9, 2009
Mahogany pour no head, but this is on tap, and if there was a big head I would complain about that also. Can't get much aroma in here. Taste is more like the Belgian golden ales I have had, such as pranqster. Good brew l, I just expected more body and sweetness from a Belgium dark. But this could just be my perception of what it should be, I have only had 1 or 2 others, so maybe THEY were the ones that were out of style, who knows now. But come to think of it, one of the other ones I had was Trois Pistoles, how can they look and taste so different, yet be labeled as a BSDA?! (594 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a hazy mahogany with lots of tan head. It smelled like wild yeast, vinegar and salt with lemon hops and a bit of barley malt. It tasted like a blend of citrus hops (orange, lemon, and lime) and wild yeast and earthy barley malt, with a bit of mulled cider and caramel. It was somewhat thick with some carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a fairly complex and clean flavor, although it had too much sour yeast for my liking. It had good body and was fairly easy to drink. I would have liked a maltier character that also could have hid the alcohol a bit better. So in the end, this certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best Belgian dark ale. (685 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

11.2 oz bottle from a 4-pack purchased today. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Lots of sticky white laze, and a thick head that disappears pretty slowly. I wish the color were a little darker, as it's a bit dark apricot colored, meaning more hazy orange than hazy amber and brown, which is how I like this style. Still nice though.

Smell: Candied fruit, citrus, acidity and tartness -- all of this is up front. Yeast of course is also up front. I say orange and lemon zest way too much in my reviews, but it's evident here so I have to say it again. Slight wine-like aroma of alcohol, which is pleasant for it's vinegar-like qualities that goes together with the malts and aromas of fruit.

Taste: Acidity and citrus up front as yeast slowly comes into play with the malts. A lot of interesting things going on, though I wish I could discern more in the mix. Aftertaste slowly goes into a yeasty and malty finish with slight hop-like bitterness. I just wish it was better balanced, as that's the thing that hurts it the most.

Mouthfeel: Possibly a little too high on the carbonation? I feel a bit of a tingle in my throat that's not unpleasant, but it just doesn't seem quite right after a swallow for some reason.

Drinkability: I was hoping I'd have a lot to say about this beer, but that's not the case. Maybe it needs some cellar time? I love the Trois Pistoles, and I was hoping this would be just as good, though I tried not to be biased about it. This is still a decent brew, but I was just expecting more, especially since I've not been close to even remotely dissatisfied with a Unibroue brew. I guess I will try the cellar, and maybe in a year I'll review one of these suckers again. (1,715 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: It pours a deep reddish brown color. Thick, foamy two finger head. Very good retention and a nice coat of lace remained.

Smell: It's initially a very spicy smell. Mostly an herbal spice aroma. There's a bit of dark fruit there (perhaps plum) It smells very malty and has a bit of a biscuity-yeasty smell to it.

Taste: It's definitely spicy. It does have a crisp, fruity taste to it. It's actually quite a bit more refreshing than I expected. It's got a nice malty taste and leaves a bread-like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's on the lighter side of a medium body. Drinkability is pretty good and would probably be even better for bigger fans of the style. One is enough for me in a sitting. Overall, it's a good beer. Not something I'd drink regularly, but would certainly drink again. (815 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours amber brown with an effervescent off white that doesn't stick around for long.

Dark caramel aromas mix with some indistinct clove and/or nutmeg.

Slightly sweet up front, with big caramel flavors. Not at all clean by midtongue. Leaves a funky artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Big bodied, ok, but not fantastic. I haven't had this beer in the last year or so, and I remember it being much better. Now it's nothing special. (431 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

25.4 ounce bottle, corked and caged, poured into the Maudite tulip that came with said bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy medium-brown hue that changes crazy shades as it's thrust in and out of the light. A thick bone white head, 2+ fingers worth, rested on top. Minutes later, a still-present pinky's worth remains.

S: Malty-sweet, candied sugars, with yeasty breadiness and a touch of lemon zest on the nose.

T: Taste follows the nose. Lemon zest and grassy earth tones are more present on the palate than in the nose. A touch of raisin and fig rises up from underneath, and becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Bready yeastiness rolls through on the finish, with a touch of an almost-pepper-like spice on the back end completes the picture.

M: Exceptional here. Great carbonation, good creaminess, dry, sour/tart finish.

D/O: An alright offering, but not as "dark" as I like my "belgian darks" to be. I prefer a little bit more of a deeper malt presence, dark fruits, candied sugars, and a little bit less yeasty/bready/lemony notes. A fine beer, I wouldn't mind having it again sometime, but I don't love it. (1,115 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

I am reviewing this beer with thepeskydingo.

This beer is a dark reddish brown and hazy. Light fizzy head that stays for a while then dissapears. Not much lacing.

Sweet fruity wheat smell.

Initial dark fruity taste that is later covered by spice and yeast. This beer reminds me of a hefewiezen.

Thin mouth feel and some carbination that is good.

This is drinkable beer, very enjoyable (389 characters)

12oz twist cap bottle into large wine glass

A: cloudy kind of brown with an orange hue, nice one and a half finger slightly off-white head with good retention. active carbonation

S: a bit spicy on the nose with orange zest and faint hops

T: again slightly spicy, fruity, mostly apple

M: medium to full bodied, somewhat sweet, fizzy carbonation but somehow creamy

D: 8% is hidden pretty well, making a couple of these easily doable. (437 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Hazy amber, with a hint of orange. Head was one-finger high, with fair retention. Lacing almost non-existent.

S: Yeast it strong here. Background citrus and spice. Maybe some wheat?

T: The spicy notes are first (which is unusual, in my experience). Next comes sourdough bread flavors, then more tartness. The yeasty flavors dominate the finish, with a mixture of phenol and mild fatty acid. Bitter hops are an afterthought.

M: Crisp and very well-carbonated. Moderate, late astringency.

O: Passable, but not a winner in my book. I'm a little surprised at how high others rated this, and have to wonder if my bottle was not representative... (647 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

App - Nice amber color, paler than I expected. Great clarity. Poured a decent sized head that dispersed pretty quickly.

Smell - good Belgian peppery yeast smell, a touch of malty sweetness, maybe some cinnamon. No hop, alcohol well hidden.

Taste - Spicy pepper character from aroma most prominent in the flavor as well. A slightly thin and cidery, almost acidic flavor competes with the yeast.

MF - Fairly light body for the strength, and moderately high carbonation. Carbonation gives it a bit of bite on the tongue. Alcohol warming and carbonation combine to enhance the warming going down. Alcohol character is well controlled.

D'ability - A bit bland to my palate, and not a favorite for me among the Unibroue family. Carbonation a bit overwhelming to me, but I may have let it warm up too long. (804 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

I bought three brews form UNIBROUE at the Headkeeper for review this evening. Maudite (translated to "Damned") is a bottom fermented "Ale on Lees" from Quebec. The Maudite poured into my tasting snifter a deep mahogany with a foamy vanilla head. The aroma was fruity with hints of dates and figs. The taste was spicy and sweet with a champagne-like finish, probably due to the yeast used. There is a bitterness quality to Maudite but not overpowering. It almost reminds me of a "light" Barleywine. It has the same aroma and flavor characteristics, but isn't as dark or deep. Maudite is definitely worth your time. (613 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

i had very high hopes going in, and the look/smell did nothing to dissuade me. i found the mouthfeel to be surprisingly thin, and it left an unpleasant after-taste that i certainly was not expecting. i had this on my "must try" list, but it has moved to my "had it - won't buy again" list

next to la fin du monde on the shelf for the same price, i'm going for the end of the world every time (394 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Claims to be an "Amber Ale"

A - 2 finger frothy head, hazy deep amber.

S - orange zest, yeast, mild banana, coriander? white pepper

T - Orange zest, spice, alcohol bite, very dry finish,

M - high carb, lots of tingling on the tongue, but still smooth.

Overall, I'm confused. Seems a lot like a Belgian Wit to me. Weird... btw I'm not a big fan of wits... (360 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: deep dark amber body with 1 finger off white head

Smell: wheat, celery and also some dark fruits figs and cherries

Taste: malts, alcohol, wheat and black pepper alot going on here very complex brew

Mouthfeel: medium body with alot of carbonation

Drinkability: great brew ...it can be sessioned but also as a sipper to savor this great beer (355 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Hazy, apple-cider, amber-brown body. Brisk carbonation (the bottle popped when the cap seal broke). Lush, voluminous, off-white head fades to a persistent 1/4" that holds on. Creamy foam lace.
Smell: Sweet malt, tangy yeast. Citrus, clove.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Rich honey, caramel, toffee malt with toasted notes. Followed by a tangy yeast and carbonation tingle, finishing with a very crisp and dry citrus/hop pucker. ABV hides very well offering a soothing background warmth. Carbonation faded from very high to noticeably low in a fairly short time.
Drinkability: Quite drinkable for a sweet, high ABV beer. Overall, not as good as I expected, but I will come back and try this again. (700 characters)

Served into an Unibroue tulip

A: Pours reddish with a big head that stay, white spiderweb lace that stays stick to the side of the glass, small to no carbonation.

S: Sweet smell, apples. For me it was thin in essence.

T: Sweet a little bit tarty some like apple cider or some apple wine, a little bit warming, little lingering hop flavor, a hint of banana.

Overall it was a fresh beer after all but a little bit thin in the taste and smell department I would re-drink it if possible just to know what's the fuzz about. (523 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Foggy, orange-brown, semi-dark, clumps of small bubbles, frothy one finger head didn't stay long, lace didnt stay very long either.

I picked up scents of yeast, spices, lemon and some other fruits.

Tasted like alchohol and apples with some spices, was not bitter at all, seems to have a tiny similarity to some hefeweizens I have had.

The mouthfeel wasn't bad but for some reason kind of reminded me of soup.

I am not trying to pretend like I know what I am doing, this is my first review. 12oz bottle for 1.99 from Pavillion's in Santa Monica. I ate some extra aged gouda with it. (585 characters)

12 oz undlated bottle - bottle refermentation it says

A - Pours a solid copper color, lots of carbonation and head. The head is very white and strongly retained. Looks almost thick.

S - Primarily a strong yeast here. Not much else - i would say it owns. A Belgian yeast of some kind - somewhere along the lines of a strong ale or a tripel.

T - The early flavors are very subdued. Light amount of malt with some roasted malt background. The majority of this thing is in the after taste. Very strong malt flavor combined with an extremely potent hit of phenolic flavors. This baby packs a punch.

M - Solid and thick - and thats just the start. This beer is extremely carbonated. High CO2 means burn on the tongue.

D - The more I drink it the more I slow down - why? Its the overpowering alcohol combined with the huge carbonation creating a backup in my gut. Sounds nasty, but its true. Not a particularly drinkable beer, but not exactly what they are going for here.

Had this in an unreviewed session on tap quite a ways back - I think for some odd reason I liked it much better than this bottle. (1,102 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark dull, slightly muddy brown with a off white head that has good retention, but poor lacing. Aroma is quite fruity with some peach, pear and sour apple. Also has some clove and other spice. Smells fairly malty. The flavor is much more heavy on the clove and pepperyness. Fruit definitely takes a back seat, but there are still pear, sour apple and blackberry notes. Malty, but balanced with a sourness that gives this beer a pretty good finish. The body is medium with somewhat spiky carbonation and really does not do anything for me. I would say drinkability is just okay, as the alcohol shines through more than I would like. This is a solid beer, but not a great one. (674 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13%

A- Pours a murky dark brown with little head to no head.

S- Smells very nice. Very fruity.

T- Not what I was expecting. Not as sweet as I was anticipating. Spicy aftertaste.

M- Very smooth and clean. It's actually refreshing to drink.

O- I enjoyed the beer but it certainly isn't memorable. I was underwhelmed. (317 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13%

A - Pours 2 fingers of off-white head that fizzles down pretty quickly leaving a ring. It appears to have a lot of carbonation. It is dark copper in color.

S - A sweet aroma, mostly dark fruits like plums and grapes.

M - Light-medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation.

T - Slightly sour up front but balanced with some malts and a spiciness. Leaves a little alcohol warmth. It's hard to get a whole lot out of the taste, because of the strong carbonation sting that overpowers everything else.

A pretty decent brew, but to me it is nothing extraordinary. It's worth checking out, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get it. (632 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 Vintage • 12 oz bottle poured into a Tasting Glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark orange and brown color. Lots of head that bubbles an off-white color. 1 inch head that dissipates and leaves a residual laceo on the surface.

Smell: Spicy, and very citrusy...mostly orange. Other fruity aromas are there.

Taste: Peppery at first but not too cloying. The spice hits first and orange zest follows. There is no alcohol burn probably because of such strong flavors. The finish is hoppy and dry, which leaves you begging for more. This is a complex taste, and quite different than others beers of this style.

Mouthfeel: Clean and drying but substantial enough to keep going. Carbonation is present and alcohol becomes warming after a few sips.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this beer but not as much as other Unibroue offerings. La Fin Du Monde is better and so are others. However, I could drink a few of these in one sitting with some great food. (956 characters)

Maudite from Unibroue