Microbrew Invitational

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Reviews: 1,902 | Ratings: 4,454
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Had a decent sized head, and good color to it. It dissipated faster than I would have liked. However, the color definitely offset the head issues. Had a great burnt orange color. Not cloudy by any means, but not crystal clear. Let a moderate amount of light through, but given the packaging, that is far from an issue.

S- Somewhat hoppy smells, with a hint of citrus and some light earthy/woody tones.

T- Fruity taste, though not to a malternative extent. Interesting mix of berries and oranges. Much less hoppy taste than I expected, but it is still present. There's a lot of character to this beer, so make sure to take some time to appreciate all of it.

M- Light, moderately carbonated feel. I believe due to the fruits and higher carbonation, there is a somewhat caramelized feeling afterwards similar to that of a cola. Does leave some sweet flavors, but not for everyone.

D- I can't say I was a huge fan of this. It definitely has its merits for drinkability. I do not enjoy fruity beers all that much. Despite this, I would not turn down another glass sometime in the future, and I would definitely recommend the brew (if only as a transition for my beer-impaired friends from their malternative shit). As a result, I have given this a higher rating for drinkability, it's simply not for me.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 03/09/16:

In indirect light, looks exactly like a cola soda, right down to the way the carbonation bubbles actually stick to the side of the glass (in this case, a fancy goblet). In the light, you can almost — almost! — see an argument for calling this an “Amber Red Ale,” as it says on the label. That is, it is still a very dark brown, with reddish hues. Quite clear (until the last bit is swirled and added — lees!) and bubbly. Head retains surprisingly well for how fizzy this beer seems. Light beige, thick, consistent, fine, film-forming. Cider-like aromas, bread and toast suggestions, and little else. And what do you know, apple or apple cider notes throughout, although incredibly watered down, moderately tart and not overly sweet. Pay closer attention and just maybe you’ll notice the vinegaresque flavors, the candy sugar, the alcohol, or the phenols. Medium to full in body, effervescent (even though I was reasonably expecting more soda-like feel), choppy, and velvety. Evenly warming. Very interesting Belgian-style ale, incredibly watered down for a Strong Dark, but delicious nonetheless.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer will always remind me of my coworker Chris and his thoughts on Unibroue beers: "Any beer with the devil and a flying canoe on it is not something I want to drink! And their other beer, The End of the World? I mean C'mon!" But despite his thoughts on their choice of marketing I know he secretly likes Maudite, if only in the smaller bottles that don't contain as much yeast.

My bottle is the readily available 750ml variety with a cork. And even though I'm not a very big fan of Belgians, I appreciate the fact that the some French Canadians have done a very good job imitating their styles. Anyway, on with the review.

It pours a brownish ruby red. The slightly offwhite head is made of large carbonated bubbles but manages to blanket the drink all the way to the bottom. In the smell we find some sweetness, yeastiness cinnamon and nutmeg. It's instantly detectable as a belgian style beer. The taste is similar.. sweetness initially, some spice and a mild hoppyness towards the back. The alcohol and yeast are both present.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated and drinkability slightly better than average. Despite its strength it goes down fairly quick but that doesn't mean uncorking another is on the agenda.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into an over sized wine glass

A- Deep and unfiltered reddish-brown with a bubbly 1 finger white head that subsides quickly.

S- Green apples, caramel malt, dark fruits, and spicy yeast notes.

T- A tinge of cider, dark fruits, licorice, caramel, grain, and a subtle hop bitterness. Complex.

M- Bubbly and very carbonated. Almost too much.

O- A very balanced and complex beer, and a very enjoyable one even if belgians aren't your thing. I think i'll let this one warm up a bit.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

I for some reason had high expectations for this one. The label was just cool, the bottle had foil on it, and I am easily impressed.

Poured a hazy dark brownish red color. Thick head with lacing. Smelled of spices and a tinge of alcohol. Tasted cloves, some ginger, malt, and possibly some sort of citrus. It was a smooth drink for an 8%. Good, but not as great as I expected.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a dark amber, a hint of a wispy white head.
Lots in the smell...caramel sweetness, plums, raisins, mixed spices.
Tastes much like the smell, a hint of smoke, dark Belgian yeasts, cherries, spices of cinnamon, corriander and clove. A very dense brew, thick and rich and easy to sip. Definitely a complex brew but not one I would choose on a regular basis.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Actually have to say I tried this beer because of the label (one of the best I've seen) who says marketing doesn't sell. But was pleased after I did, very strong alcohol aroma, nice dark appearance and it kicks. I would recommend this beer to belgian lovers ouot there I think you would enjoy...........CHEERS

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Got this bottle from Pizza Peel in Charlotte NC.

It pours a dark amber brown hued body. It has a thick, froathy cream colored head. Nice steady carbonation throughout the consumption.

Smells of sweet maltiness underlying a mild tartness that isn't quite sour. Little herbal notes and spicey finish.

Taste sweet and tart and malty. There's a mix of caramel and smooth tart apple notes. There's a tart finish without much of a hop pressence. Spices comthrough with cumin and bitter orange.

Mouthfeel is thicker than expected but very smooth.

Drinkability is easy and like many belgians.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A: dark amber, strong head
S: sweet floral aroma
T: sweet, light fruity flavor; do I detect cherries, almost a lambic? the refermentation in the bottle does not carry the anvil found in Unibroue's other beers, esp. La fin du monde

On a whole, my favorite of U's higher-ABV beers. And my wife liked it, which says a lot, since she doesn't like many of the beers I do.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

I would like to point out that Unibroue states on their website that this is a Belgian strong red ale, I am sure the nuance is not lost on you, and I understand the lack of category.

I poured this beer from a 750ml bottle into a belled beer glass. The bottle is dated 1-13-12. I believe I picked it up for $7 on sale.

The pour reveals a deep amber beer and a nice tan head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is malt and yeast and dried fruits with fresh grasses and a note of alcohol.

The taste is sweet, a bit bitter and tart and caramel with a hint of coffee. Very tasty and well balanced.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Carbonation is full with tiny bubbles. Finish is slightly sweet.

Drinkability is good but not crazy.

I think this is a nice beer and a neat beer of a different color.

Slainte.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Poured into a chilled, wide-mouthed, stemmed glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out a cloudy amber color. Almost gem-like. Head foamed up to an inch and then dissipated to slight white rim all around the inside of the glass.

-Smell 4.0: Wonderful caramel and barley notes with that unmistakable yeasty Belgian goodness.

-Taste 3.5: Dry up front, with a barley taste that is accentuated by the wonderful bouquet. Middle is gone. Nothing there. Finish is lightly sweet. Aftertaste is short and features light notes of barley and caramel. Very good, but slightly disappointing.

-Mouthfeel 4.0: Nice mouthfeel with the expected (and never boring) Belgian bottle carbonation.

-Overall 3.5: This is a good beer and I could see myself drinking several of these in one session. However, this is not a very complex Belgian-style ale. For those of you who like your Belgian-styles to have layer upon layer of flavors and mystery, pass this one up. For everyone else, try it out. Might be the best screw-top beer you'll ever purchase.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

pours a dark, slightly cloudy, amber. marginal carbonation, but a a nice nose of esters, faint maltiness, and the classic belgian fruitiness. the nose on this beer moved as it warmed a ton, as much as any i can remember.

nice balance of flavors, this beer would have nicely complemented dinner, instead of a 'dessert' as it were... fruity/spicy on the front end, and the alcohol certainly provides a strong tang.

this is by no means my favorite style, but I'd like to try it again with pork chops, twice-baked potatoes and some steamed veggies.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: nice darkish red hue, when held up to night it assumes a lovely chestnut colour.

Smell: milky chocolatey yoghurtey yeastey smell with some malt coming through. Also vaguely fruity smell like the mango in their don de dieu.

Taste: alcohol, bitterness, sourness

Feel: nice syrupy

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

a: Nice amber red hue. I poured carefully so nice and clear with visible streams of bubbles.. Light off white head with some lacing.
s: powery Unibroue style yeast smells.
t: Sharp carbonation hits tip of tonge. Bitterness comes earlier than other beers, but goes well with the brown sugary sweetness.
m: full bodied...somewhat creamy with carbonation.
d: decent brew. High alcohol keeps this from being a session beer.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A-Velvet red hue, with an off white head that is somewhat pink. Lacing is solid
S-Heavy on the yeast aroma with fragrant berries in the background. I also get a musty malt aroma.
M-High carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Very dry.
T-I get lots of fruits and yeast upfront. There is a sweet flavour and peppery finish
O-Unfortunately once again anything that is associated with Belgium I have a hard time appreciating...forgive me beer Gods!

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a extremely hazy dark brown color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade with big bubbles. This causes the head to fade away in a semi-rapid fashion - however it still retains one finger of height extremely well.

S: This seems to feature more caramel and toffee than the typical BSDA. Other notes of candied sugar, white grapes, and apple round out the dark malt qualities. I could use a bit more chocolate on the nose, but I can't complain about what I'm getting here.

T: Immediately I notice rich fruit esters, such as cherry, grape, and apple. There don't seem to be any significant dark fruit qualities aside from a touch of raisin in the middle of the flavor profile. Some of the malt flavors pop up near the back end; like I suggested on the nose, it's more caramel and toffee than chocolate (however I do pick up a bit of the latter from time to time). The balance of flavors is solid, and the alcohol is hidden spectacularly given its dry lightness.

M: It feels quite angular on the palate - I expected a bit more initial creaminess to balance the dry finish a bit. That's to say nothing of the strong carbonation, either. It seems to be designed to be very drinkable, and in that regard, it's extremely successful.

O: Okay, it's not my favorite offering from Unibroue - but that's a bit like saying this is the least attractive woman in a group of Miss America finalists. It's still a solid BSDA focused on drinkability over depth. In addendum, this was likely an older bottle; I wonder if this would be sweeter/less dry fresh.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Maudite is a hazy, dark amber-red color. Head is thick, off-white, and very tall. Retention is very good. The appearance of this beer is almost perfect. Aroma is sweet and spicy, most reminiscent of cinnamon. All in all, a nice smell, but one-sided. The start of a sip is a combination is sweet cinnamon and peppery spice. A candi sugar sweetness enters the picture about mid-sip and helps regulate the pepperiness. Some citrissy fruitiness is in the mix as well. Finish is very abrupt. Overall, I found this enjoyable, but the flavor was a bit thin. Considering how high this beer is rated, I'm a bit disappointed. Anyway, I'll probably sample this again to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Feb 9, 2009
Mahogany pour no head, but this is on tap, and if there was a big head I would complain about that also. Can't get much aroma in here. Taste is more like the Belgian golden ales I have had, such as pranqster. Good brew l, I just expected more body and sweetness from a Belgium dark. But this could just be my perception of what it should be, I have only had 1 or 2 others, so maybe THEY were the ones that were out of style, who knows now. But come to think of it, one of the other ones I had was Trois Pistoles, how can they look and taste so different, yet be labeled as a BSDA?!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a hazy mahogany with lots of tan head. It smelled like wild yeast, vinegar and salt with lemon hops and a bit of barley malt. It tasted like a blend of citrus hops (orange, lemon, and lime) and wild yeast and earthy barley malt, with a bit of mulled cider and caramel. It was somewhat thick with some carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a fairly complex and clean flavor, although it had too much sour yeast for my liking. It had good body and was fairly easy to drink. I would have liked a maltier character that also could have hid the alcohol a bit better. So in the end, this certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best Belgian dark ale.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

11.2 oz bottle from a 4-pack purchased today. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Lots of sticky white laze, and a thick head that disappears pretty slowly. I wish the color were a little darker, as it's a bit dark apricot colored, meaning more hazy orange than hazy amber and brown, which is how I like this style. Still nice though.

Smell: Candied fruit, citrus, acidity and tartness -- all of this is up front. Yeast of course is also up front. I say orange and lemon zest way too much in my reviews, but it's evident here so I have to say it again. Slight wine-like aroma of alcohol, which is pleasant for it's vinegar-like qualities that goes together with the malts and aromas of fruit.

Taste: Acidity and citrus up front as yeast slowly comes into play with the malts. A lot of interesting things going on, though I wish I could discern more in the mix. Aftertaste slowly goes into a yeasty and malty finish with slight hop-like bitterness. I just wish it was better balanced, as that's the thing that hurts it the most.

Mouthfeel: Possibly a little too high on the carbonation? I feel a bit of a tingle in my throat that's not unpleasant, but it just doesn't seem quite right after a swallow for some reason.

Drinkability: I was hoping I'd have a lot to say about this beer, but that's not the case. Maybe it needs some cellar time? I love the Trois Pistoles, and I was hoping this would be just as good, though I tried not to be biased about it. This is still a decent brew, but I was just expecting more, especially since I've not been close to even remotely dissatisfied with a Unibroue brew. I guess I will try the cellar, and maybe in a year I'll review one of these suckers again.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: It pours a deep reddish brown color. Thick, foamy two finger head. Very good retention and a nice coat of lace remained.

Smell: It's initially a very spicy smell. Mostly an herbal spice aroma. There's a bit of dark fruit there (perhaps plum) It smells very malty and has a bit of a biscuity-yeasty smell to it.

Taste: It's definitely spicy. It does have a crisp, fruity taste to it. It's actually quite a bit more refreshing than I expected. It's got a nice malty taste and leaves a bread-like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's on the lighter side of a medium body. Drinkability is pretty good and would probably be even better for bigger fans of the style. One is enough for me in a sitting. Overall, it's a good beer. Not something I'd drink regularly, but would certainly drink again.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours amber brown with an effervescent off white that doesn't stick around for long.

Dark caramel aromas mix with some indistinct clove and/or nutmeg.

Slightly sweet up front, with big caramel flavors. Not at all clean by midtongue. Leaves a funky artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Big bodied, ok, but not fantastic. I haven't had this beer in the last year or so, and I remember it being much better. Now it's nothing special.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

25.4 ounce bottle, corked and caged, poured into the Maudite tulip that came with said bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy medium-brown hue that changes crazy shades as it's thrust in and out of the light. A thick bone white head, 2+ fingers worth, rested on top. Minutes later, a still-present pinky's worth remains.

S: Malty-sweet, candied sugars, with yeasty breadiness and a touch of lemon zest on the nose.

T: Taste follows the nose. Lemon zest and grassy earth tones are more present on the palate than in the nose. A touch of raisin and fig rises up from underneath, and becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Bready yeastiness rolls through on the finish, with a touch of an almost-pepper-like spice on the back end completes the picture.

M: Exceptional here. Great carbonation, good creaminess, dry, sour/tart finish.

D/O: An alright offering, but not as "dark" as I like my "belgian darks" to be. I prefer a little bit more of a deeper malt presence, dark fruits, candied sugars, and a little bit less yeasty/bready/lemony notes. A fine beer, I wouldn't mind having it again sometime, but I don't love it.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

I am reviewing this beer with thepeskydingo.

This beer is a dark reddish brown and hazy. Light fizzy head that stays for a while then dissapears. Not much lacing.

Sweet fruity wheat smell.

Initial dark fruity taste that is later covered by spice and yeast. This beer reminds me of a hefewiezen.

Thin mouth feel and some carbination that is good.

This is drinkable beer, very enjoyable

12oz twist cap bottle into large wine glass

A: cloudy kind of brown with an orange hue, nice one and a half finger slightly off-white head with good retention. active carbonation

S: a bit spicy on the nose with orange zest and faint hops

T: again slightly spicy, fruity, mostly apple

M: medium to full bodied, somewhat sweet, fizzy carbonation but somehow creamy

D: 8% is hidden pretty well, making a couple of these easily doable.

Maudite from Unibroue