Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,870 | Hads: 4,312
1.75/5  rDev -58%

12oz bottle cellared for two years. Pours a lightly hazy brown with very ruby tinges. Tall, fluffy light tan head that holds very well. Sickeningly sweet aromas of caramelized apples and blueberries. Some slightly spicy yeast notes. Very artificial smell. The taste is cloying and medicinal. Various dark fruit syrups mixed with Robitussin. Slightly astringent finish. Warming. Full body with good carbonation. This just tastes incredibly fake; like watered-down Pepsi with Juicy-juice and some brandy added. Had this at least three times, and each time it's gone down the drain...it's pretty evident why they called it 'maudite'.

1.98/5  rDev -52.5%

The appearance made it look superbly delicious. It was a rich tawny-red colour with a reddish-white head. It looked like it was going to be teeming with malty goodness. But that's where my enjoyment ended.
The smell was sour like a fruity yogurt drink that had gone bad.
The taste was more of the same. It was disgustingly yeasty. That sour yeastiness that just isn't OK. It also had some prominent citrus notes, spicy hops, and some clove-like spices. Any malt character was masked by the citrus notes, the hops and the pure yeastiness of the drink. I'm surprised I got it all down.

2.07/5  rDev -50.4%

Best by: Mar 3, 2013

A: Pours a turbid ruby ale with a two finger peanut head. This falls slowly to a fluffy quilt of the same. Nice orange-brown color where the light shines through near the edges. Spotty lacing.

S: Yeast. chemical and earthy, the yeast is at the forefront here. Some sweet malts, some floral hedges. Don't care for this - too much of the yeast.

T: Yeast and metal. The yeast is as above, vinyl in chemistry for me. The metal is like the flavor of warm stainless steel.

M: Medium to light syrup with high carb. Dry finish. Wish the body was a hint higher with lower carb. Would prefer more resonance on the finish.

O: This beer way to imbalanced with the yeast being soo dominant and makes the beer one-dimensional.

2.2/5  rDev -47.2%

A - It pours a lighter brown hue, translucent, perhaps akin to iced tea. It is capped with a big ivory head that quickly retreats and leaves no lace. Though tidy, it does not project a proper BSDA appearance.

S - This beer is very yeasty and very dry in its aromatic impression. I am informed by a dude at the bar posing as a knowledgable fellow that the reason for this is "because it is 'on lees'". What a douche. Anyhow, a good amount of cloves, red apple and grape skins are implied through the nose; there is also a less-than-pleasant aroma of seemingly underroasted grain, Ovaltine, and/or Grape-Nuts.

T - The taste is more spicy-phenolic than the nose would suggest. There is an appreciable dark fruit character, suggesting less-sweet figs, raisins and papaya (not dark fruit obv.) Unfortunately the fruit flavor is not quite sweet enough and as a result the whole thing ends up more wheat-y tasting like a mediocre Weizenbock. As I get deeper in the glass, the Weizenbock comparison is strengthened: the flavor seems to be a cardboard-y malt, cloves and coriander, two-week-old Fig Newtons, all topped off with a hint of isopropyl.

M - Too thin and just wrong all-around.

D - Jeez this stuff sucks. Unibroue makes some pretty horrendous beers, with a few notable exceptions.

2.22/5  rDev -46.8%

Dark rich mahogany, clear. Tan head of moderate size and good durability.

Nose brings to mind very ripe fruit drizzled with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper. Other spicy aromas add complexity.

In the mouth, sweet, rich, and fruity. However, this fruit is ripe to the point of spoilage.

I get the similar rotten/oxidative flavors here as I found in Trois Pistoles. I don't know if that's a result of Unibroue's yeast or not, but regardless, it's a complete turnoff for my tastebuds.

2.27/5  rDev -45.6%

pours a hazy dark amber with rapidly disappearing uneven head... lots of head with no lacing.

smell: overpowering sweet mixed with alchohol and some sort of artificial fruityness.

taste: carbonated apple juice with some malts and alchohol.

mouthfeel: explodes in your mouth with carbonation then leaves you high and dry.

drinkability: no comment. not anywhere near my style. i remember i used to really like this one about a year and a half ago. oh well.

2.48/5  rDev -40.5%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours an orangeish-brown,has a big foamy thick head, high level of carbonation. I noticed some yeast sediment, from the bottle refermentation noted on the back label. Looks kinda muddy and unappetizing. Aroma is spicy, sweet perhaps.

Noticeable alcohol taste, unappealing acidic and sour taste, carbonation is too much IMO. Medium-bodied mouthfeel.

I think this beer was very disappointing and didn't enjoy the taste. The 8% abv seems strong and makes it less drinkable for me, and I didn't even finish the bottle. I don't know if this beer is a good example of the style but I won't drink it again.

2.55/5  rDev -38.8%

750 ml.bottle poured into a goblet,very hazy pale murky yellowy brownish color,kinda like swamp water,very nice 2 finger creamy white head,to me,the best thing about this beer,with decent lacing.
Smells very spicy with a banana and pear and peppery hilites,with sweet malts,and maybe some east indian spices,well,to my nose anyways.Taste's sweet with the banana comming through along with the spices and the pepper at the end and also a dryness,not my type of flavoring.Mouthfeel is medium heavy with some boldness to it and hard carbonation,the east indian spices or whatever they are sure hit on the aftertaste,this is not my cup of tea here,i'm 0 for 2 on these Unibroue beers,very dissapointed on this type of flavor,,,,Sorry,,,,But just can't acquire the taste for this.

2.58/5  rDev -38.1%

Good, but not quite what I expected. My rating is certainly going to be outside of the average deviation. I'm not really a fan of the Belgian style with strong citric/flowery/apple flavors. Every sip made me cringe a little bit with the aftertaste. Great appearance, very thin head/lacing despite a lot of carbonation, ok mouthfeel but I just couldn't get past the flavor.

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer has a peppery taste. i was not very impressed with its flavor.
I did enjoy its bottle however...The artwork is great and made a great addition to my bottle collection.

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

I haven't met a Belgian Ale I didn't like until this one. I was excited at first when I saw it on tap on my new local Bru Haus so being a big fan of La Fin Du Monde I figured great brewery...good brew. Was pretty disappointed.

A - After the bar maid finally worked out the pour head issue I liked it's appearance. It was medium brown tea like look. She managed to get the head to be nice fluffy white but dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Somewhat sweet smelling with caramel, cloves, almost like a trail mix smell...not too bad and left me ready to experience great flavor.

T - Tasted like a caramel flat syrupy coca-cola even though it had carbonation.

M - Thin and underwhelming, with that slimy residual feeling.

D - Disappointed and underwhelmed. I almost want to go back and try again to make sure I wasn't off that night but the thought of it kinda repulses me.

2.69/5  rDev -35.5%

Poured into a tall beer glass. The Maudite left a thin off-white head.

A - Looks like a tasty brew should, it's a nice warm brown with slightly copper color when light shines through.

S - A bit metallic. I've never smelled a beer like this. I couldn't pick up on any other smell through that strong metallic tinge.

T - I had to sip this beer quite slowly to allow the flavor to come through. It's delicious if you have the patience to drink it slowly. Some toffee, subtly sweet with a good balance and complexity.

M - Quite disappointed here as the mouthfeel ruined the experience of the beer for me. It's closer to a champagne in mouthfeel than any other beer I've tasted. I am a fan of the Belgian style and thoroughly enjoyed Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, but Maudite has a much higher level of carbonation; so much so that it irritated my esophagus on the way down. A friend who was drinking with me had the same experience. He couldn't even finish the glass I poured for him to taste.

Overall, I'm glad to have tried it, but unfortunately it's just not for me. Based on all of the high ratings I thought it would be something special...and I'm sure it is. I couldn't see having more than one of these in a session. I'm definitely glad that I decided to pick up the single and give it a try before buying the four pack. Fortunately I have other Unibroue's that I can try before I have to pass them up entirely.

2.74/5  rDev -34.3%

Not was I was expecting from a BSDA.

A - It's got the look. That brownish dark amber that Belgian strongs have. A thin, dissipating head from the bottle I opened. (Into a Belgian goblet.)

S - Wow. A strong yeast nose that reminds me of an ale "in process" rather than fully finished. Not skunked, not overly hopped, just not pleasant.

T - Something is missing from this strong dark ale... what is it? Oh yes, the STRENGTH! This is a pretty insipid brew for the ABV and the style. There isn;t nay meat on these bones.

M - Light, too light.

Overall, I did not care for this beer. It lacked a lot of things a Belgian beer should have. I can't understand how my evaluation is so far different from the others.

Nevertheless, unless the second bottle of the 4 pack is radically different, I can not recommend this ale.

2.76/5  rDev -33.8%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone.

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Serving 750ml bottle

A churning tornado of carbonation swirls up through a shady orange tinted copper body, spiraling toward a dense half finger thick layer of off-white froth. Thick fluffy lacing refuses to give in an impressive display of true belgian character.

Strong aromas of stodgy brown bread, medicinal herbs and piquant spices bloom on the bouquet revealing hints of orange zest and wild yeast.

Loads of slick and sweet bready malts lead a half-hearted charge on the entry only hinting at a fuller richer and rather spicy mid palate suggesting flavors of corriander, wild yeast, cinnamon and allspice. A clean finish ties everything together with more supportive bready sweet malt, restrained hop bitters and hints of yeast. Spices make an encoure performance on the tail end of the finish and aftertaste leaving a pleasing spicy flavor on the palate.
Overall, this beer is yeast and spice driven, while the taste is fairly interesting the flavors are muted and nearly drowned out by slick crystalline and bready malt sweetness.

Mediocre persistence on the finish and a slick medium body don't quite meld with the overly yeasty and spicy character forming a lackluster and hallow mouthfeel. On the other hand a slick malty body lets this go down easy and spicy character lends this beer a bit of complexity to keep it interesting.

This beer is not as tasty nor as full as I remember it being. Unibroue beers seem to have gone downhill in quality recently and each one has an odd yeasty character that doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, I admire this brew's sweet malt body and interesting spicy character but it could have been much better with a thicker chewy mouthfeel, toned down yeast, some dark fruits and a dash more hop bitters for balance.

2.83/5  rDev -32.1%

A- The color of old copper, with a massive head of fine textured off-white foam. Plenty of lace.

S- Smells of bread dough and Belgian yeast - straightforward, uncomplex, uninspiring.

T- Sweet & sour balsamic vinegar and malt. That's about the extent of it here; this was a rather boring beer.

M, D- The feel was sufficiently substantial, but the disappointment was in the lack of inspiration, interest, and pleasure.

Within the Unibroue portfolio, Don de Dieu thoroughly and soundly eclipses Maudite in every respect.

2.84/5  rDev -31.9%

A = Dark murky brownish orange with a big off-white 2 finger head. Head stuck around for a while. Very little lacing.

S = Hints of spice, yeast and old dark fruit dominated by a rather unpleasant "dank" basement smell

T = Followed the nose closely. Some initial faint sweetness quickly overcome with spice, yeast, and a sour/bitter combo that was unappealing.

M = Thin with medium carbonation.

D = Fairly drinkable I guess. ABV is hidden ok.

Not a huge fan of this style, and this is a middling example of it.

A- Reddish w/ thin head

S- Slight hop smell w/ hints of cherry

T- Starts w/ tastes of cherry and plum, but finishes of weak hops taste

M- Starts strong and full, but finishes very weak, dry, and fizzy

D- It's alright, nothing I'd go crazy for

The smell gets you interested. The start of the taste gets you even more interested, but the fizzy finish kind of just lets you down. Overall... cool name, cool tap, but the beer kind of a lets down.

2.85/5  rDev -31.7%

Disclaimer: I don't enjoy Belgian beers.

This one pours out a very dark but clear brown with some golden hints around the edges. Great head retention, about a finger throughout, with little lacing and tons of carbonation evident.

Smell is very herbal and spicy. Definitely a sense of the bready malt along with some cinnamon and other strong herbs.

Taste is not great. Most of what I get out of it is just a bitter taste. It also seems slightly sour, maybe a little sour apple flavor. Doesn't taste natural to me, seems artificial.

Mouthfeel is where it really lets me down again. Lots of bitter taste, lots of carbonation, but other than that it's pretty watery and doesn't do much for me on the way down.

Very drinkable beer, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it, particularly because it is so light and well-carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev -31.7%

12oz bottle with a cool label of Satan. Poured into tulip glass, a gift from my fellow beer geeks. Got this bottle from 'The Bakery' in Farmville.

Hazy deep amber in color. Supsended yeast is noticable. The lace was huge on the pour but died almost instantly.

Smells like yeast and alcohol. Fruity notes are also present.

Not what I was expecting. I think I got a skunked bottle because it didn't taste good at all. High in alcohol, and lots of burn. But the hops helped a little bit. Light body... I know, but I think my bottle was bad because there weren't many up on the shelf and I got mine from the back.

For two fifity a bottle I might get it again but this time I'll let it sit in my fridge for a month before drinking it. I only let it stay in my fridge for two days last time.

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface. I bit too much alcohol in the scent. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove. Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy. Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

decent, but kind of boring to me

2.92/5  rDev -30%

my 750ml corked sample has absolutley zero carbonation. so i'm already pissed at this beer for stealing my money. so, the review.
the color is a crystal clear dark copper of the sam adams variety. no bubbles anywhere. the smell is good. very sweet and sharp smell with alcohol but all well balanced. taste is very complex and not nearly as sweet as i expected, that's a good thing. so that is it. this beer took my money i'm not going to let it take my time. the rest is going down the kitchen sick. cheers.

2.93/5  rDev -29.7%

I love all of Unibroue's beers that I have had, except this one. It's not BAD tasting it's just bland. For a Belgian strong it just lacks any kind of punch. At 8% I would have thought at least I would have gotten some alcohol but even that was muted. Maybe it was an old bottle? It was a high volume place though. I just wasn't impressed. Trois Pistoles is still my favorite of their offerings.

2.96/5  rDev -29%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-brown with a full, fluffy, bubbly head colored an off-white. The head is quite nice, and retains well. Lacing is rather absent.

Smell: Strong yeastiness in the nose, followed up by a sturdy malty aroma. Some alcohol reveals itself plainly. Dark currants, or dates as well.

Taste: Heavily roasted malts. Dark, crusty breads come to mind. The alcohol comes through with candor. Heavily spiced; nutmeg, corriander. The hops are distinguishable, albeit in an abstract bitterness. Some melon. Caramel.

Mouthfeel: Bitingly carbonated. Syrupy on the tongue, with a smooth finish. Activates the senses.

Drinkability: Somewhat filling, with a not altogether inviting flavor. Over the top in its boldness of taste. Hardly a beer I could consume more than one of in a sitting.

Maudite from Unibroue