Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 4,287
2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

I haven't met a Belgian Ale I didn't like until this one. I was excited at first when I saw it on tap on my new local Bru Haus so being a big fan of La Fin Du Monde I figured great brewery...good brew. Was pretty disappointed.

A - After the bar maid finally worked out the pour head issue I liked it's appearance. It was medium brown tea like look. She managed to get the head to be nice fluffy white but dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Somewhat sweet smelling with caramel, cloves, almost like a trail mix smell...not too bad and left me ready to experience great flavor.

T - Tasted like a caramel flat syrupy coca-cola even though it had carbonation.

M - Thin and underwhelming, with that slimy residual feeling.

D - Disappointed and underwhelmed. I almost want to go back and try again to make sure I wasn't off that night but the thought of it kinda repulses me.

Serving type: on-tap (911 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured into a tall beer glass. The Maudite left a thin off-white head.

A - Looks like a tasty brew should, it's a nice warm brown with slightly copper color when light shines through.

S - A bit metallic. I've never smelled a beer like this. I couldn't pick up on any other smell through that strong metallic tinge.

T - I had to sip this beer quite slowly to allow the flavor to come through. It's delicious if you have the patience to drink it slowly. Some toffee, subtly sweet with a good balance and complexity.

M - Quite disappointed here as the mouthfeel ruined the experience of the beer for me. It's closer to a champagne in mouthfeel than any other beer I've tasted. I am a fan of the Belgian style and thoroughly enjoyed Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, but Maudite has a much higher level of carbonation; so much so that it irritated my esophagus on the way down. A friend who was drinking with me had the same experience. He couldn't even finish the glass I poured for him to taste.

Overall, I'm glad to have tried it, but unfortunately it's just not for me. Based on all of the high ratings I thought it would be something special...and I'm sure it is. I couldn't see having more than one of these in a session. I'm definitely glad that I decided to pick up the single and give it a try before buying the four pack. Fortunately I have other Unibroue's that I can try before I have to pass them up entirely. (1,416 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -34.1%

Not was I was expecting from a BSDA.

A - It's got the look. That brownish dark amber that Belgian strongs have. A thin, dissipating head from the bottle I opened. (Into a Belgian goblet.)

S - Wow. A strong yeast nose that reminds me of an ale "in process" rather than fully finished. Not skunked, not overly hopped, just not pleasant.

T - Something is missing from this strong dark ale... what is it? Oh yes, the STRENGTH! This is a pretty insipid brew for the ABV and the style. There isn;t nay meat on these bones.

M - Light, too light.

Overall, I did not care for this beer. It lacked a lot of things a Belgian beer should have. I can't understand how my evaluation is so far different from the others.

Nevertheless, unless the second bottle of the 4 pack is radically different, I can not recommend this ale. (819 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33.7%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone. (791 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

Serving 750ml bottle

A churning tornado of carbonation swirls up through a shady orange tinted copper body, spiraling toward a dense half finger thick layer of off-white froth. Thick fluffy lacing refuses to give in an impressive display of true belgian character.

Strong aromas of stodgy brown bread, medicinal herbs and piquant spices bloom on the bouquet revealing hints of orange zest and wild yeast.

Loads of slick and sweet bready malts lead a half-hearted charge on the entry only hinting at a fuller richer and rather spicy mid palate suggesting flavors of corriander, wild yeast, cinnamon and allspice. A clean finish ties everything together with more supportive bready sweet malt, restrained hop bitters and hints of yeast. Spices make an encoure performance on the tail end of the finish and aftertaste leaving a pleasing spicy flavor on the palate.
Overall, this beer is yeast and spice driven, while the taste is fairly interesting the flavors are muted and nearly drowned out by slick crystalline and bready malt sweetness.

Mediocre persistence on the finish and a slick medium body don't quite meld with the overly yeasty and spicy character forming a lackluster and hallow mouthfeel. On the other hand a slick malty body lets this go down easy and spicy character lends this beer a bit of complexity to keep it interesting.

This beer is not as tasty nor as full as I remember it being. Unibroue beers seem to have gone downhill in quality recently and each one has an odd yeasty character that doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, I admire this brew's sweet malt body and interesting spicy character but it could have been much better with a thicker chewy mouthfeel, toned down yeast, some dark fruits and a dash more hop bitters for balance. (1,778 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -32%

A- The color of old copper, with a massive head of fine textured off-white foam. Plenty of lace.

S- Smells of bread dough and Belgian yeast - straightforward, uncomplex, uninspiring.

T- Sweet & sour balsamic vinegar and malt. That's about the extent of it here; this was a rather boring beer.

M, D- The feel was sufficiently substantial, but the disappointment was in the lack of inspiration, interest, and pleasure.

Within the Unibroue portfolio, Don de Dieu thoroughly and soundly eclipses Maudite in every respect. (521 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -31.7%

A = Dark murky brownish orange with a big off-white 2 finger head. Head stuck around for a while. Very little lacing.

S = Hints of spice, yeast and old dark fruit dominated by a rather unpleasant "dank" basement smell

T = Followed the nose closely. Some initial faint sweetness quickly overcome with spice, yeast, and a sour/bitter combo that was unappealing.

M = Thin with medium carbonation.

D = Fairly drinkable I guess. ABV is hidden ok.

Not a huge fan of this style, and this is a middling example of it. (516 characters)

A- Reddish w/ thin head

S- Slight hop smell w/ hints of cherry

T- Starts w/ tastes of cherry and plum, but finishes of weak hops taste

M- Starts strong and full, but finishes very weak, dry, and fizzy

D- It's alright, nothing I'd go crazy for

The smell gets you interested. The start of the taste gets you even more interested, but the fizzy finish kind of just lets you down. Overall... cool name, cool tap, but the beer kind of a lets down. (457 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -31.5%

Disclaimer: I don't enjoy Belgian beers.

This one pours out a very dark but clear brown with some golden hints around the edges. Great head retention, about a finger throughout, with little lacing and tons of carbonation evident.

Smell is very herbal and spicy. Definitely a sense of the bready malt along with some cinnamon and other strong herbs.

Taste is not great. Most of what I get out of it is just a bitter taste. It also seems slightly sour, maybe a little sour apple flavor. Doesn't taste natural to me, seems artificial.

Mouthfeel is where it really lets me down again. Lots of bitter taste, lots of carbonation, but other than that it's pretty watery and doesn't do much for me on the way down.

Very drinkable beer, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it, particularly because it is so light and well-carbonated. (829 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -31.5%

12oz bottle with a cool label of Satan. Poured into tulip glass, a gift from my fellow beer geeks. Got this bottle from 'The Bakery' in Farmville.

Hazy deep amber in color. Supsended yeast is noticable. The lace was huge on the pour but died almost instantly.

Smells like yeast and alcohol. Fruity notes are also present.

Not what I was expecting. I think I got a skunked bottle because it didn't taste good at all. High in alcohol, and lots of burn. But the hops helped a little bit. Light body... I know, but I think my bottle was bad because there weren't many up on the shelf and I got mine from the back.

For two fifity a bottle I might get it again but this time I'll let it sit in my fridge for a month before drinking it. I only let it stay in my fridge for two days last time. (789 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface. I bit too much alcohol in the scent. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove. Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy. Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

decent, but kind of boring to me (480 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -29.8%

my 750ml corked sample has absolutley zero carbonation. so i'm already pissed at this beer for stealing my money. so, the review.
the color is a crystal clear dark copper of the sam adams variety. no bubbles anywhere. the smell is good. very sweet and sharp smell with alcohol but all well balanced. taste is very complex and not nearly as sweet as i expected, that's a good thing. so that is it. this beer took my money i'm not going to let it take my time. the rest is going down the kitchen sick. cheers. (508 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

I love all of Unibroue's beers that I have had, except this one. It's not BAD tasting it's just bland. For a Belgian strong it just lacks any kind of punch. At 8% I would have thought at least I would have gotten some alcohol but even that was muted. Maybe it was an old bottle? It was a high volume place though. I just wasn't impressed. Trois Pistoles is still my favorite of their offerings. (394 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors. (299 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-brown with a full, fluffy, bubbly head colored an off-white. The head is quite nice, and retains well. Lacing is rather absent.

Smell: Strong yeastiness in the nose, followed up by a sturdy malty aroma. Some alcohol reveals itself plainly. Dark currants, or dates as well.

Taste: Heavily roasted malts. Dark, crusty breads come to mind. The alcohol comes through with candor. Heavily spiced; nutmeg, corriander. The hops are distinguishable, albeit in an abstract bitterness. Some melon. Caramel.

Mouthfeel: Bitingly carbonated. Syrupy on the tongue, with a smooth finish. Activates the senses.

Drinkability: Somewhat filling, with a not altogether inviting flavor. Over the top in its boldness of taste. Hardly a beer I could consume more than one of in a sitting. (810 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange with some copper leanings. Head is fluffy with tight carbonation and dirty-white. Drops to a thin collar in short order.

Smell: Oh Unibroue yeast. You are ridiculous. Loaded with clove pineapple candy and banana extract. Some ripe fruitiness with a grainier fruit undertone. Something like pear or even apricot. Dusting of citrus. Cornbread with a touch of caramel malts. Lightly bready.

Taste: More of the yeast that's on the nose. So much clove and banana candy. Faint citrus hop note. Malts are bready and mildly sweet. Again, I'm reminded of cornbread, if you soaked it in a weird almost Belgian yeast strain. So much clove and weird banana candy. Flavor shows up and disappears in short order. Almost no aftertaste. Some minor clove.

Mouthfeel: Not thin, but not much better Heavy water. Carbonation is on the high side and spreads the flavor around quickly. Clean.

Overall: This was one of the first beers I had after turning 21. Even then it was more surprising than it was delicious. This makes it memorable, but not because I want to drink it again. (1,144 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a pale copper color, with great head, but little lacing. Not much of a scent to speak of, maybe a bit of sweetness, but that's it. Same for the taste, for the most part it's bland. Not bad, but nothing great to speak of. It has a bit too much carbonation/bite for such a strong ale. Not Unibroue's best. (309 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -28.1%

This beer poured a large white head with small sized bubbles. The body was cloudy and the hue was light brown.I could definitely taste the alcohol with this beer.About all I have to say about this beer is that it was just okay.I was not extremely impressed by the taste. (270 characters)

Best by date 06-01-2012

A: Pours a reddish-brownish-orangish color. I was expecting more of an amber hue, but it had much more brown than I was anticipating.

S: A big wave of alcohol esters, some brown sugar, toffee and Belgian yeast aromatics.

T: Again, a piercing alcohol burn, Belgian spice, dark fruits.

M: Average for a BSDA

D: This is probably the worst offering I have had from Unibroue, a brewery that I usually love. It's not terrible, I just feel like it might not translate well to my palate. (508 characters)

750 ml corked bottle.

Not overly impressed at all. Bier is lacking in carbonation. I had to force a good head by extreme pouring and then it disappeard very quickly.

Likewise, the taste is bland and uninspiring. A little fruit and alcohol. That's it!

Perhaps this bier is too fresh and requires a lenghthy stay in a cellar, and if that is the case, they shouldn't have sold it.

By the way, I purchased two bottles of this recently at different times and both were 'the same'. It is possible that a bad batch has been released. I will take note to give this another shot in a few months as I general enjoy this style very much and other Unibroue products I've had are great.

John (693 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle with freshness date of 05/05/08.

An extremely large, light head formed immediately, causing a two stage pour. This two stage pour may have arisen yeast from the bottom of the bottle. The head was reduced to 1/4 inch and lasted for quite awhile. Bronze in color and completely murky. Nice, tiny bubbles are present which indicates a light, fluffiness in the beer.

Mostly yeast in the aroma, possibly due to the pour. Slight fruit in the smell. Smelled alot like a hefe.

Again, mostly yeast in the taste. Alcohol is noticeable as well, but is not overpowering. Fairly malty with a slight hop bite. Quite pleasant tasting. Light and refreshing.

Bubbly mouthfeel reminiscent of a summertime brew. Nice drinkability.

I gave all 3s on this because I wasnt sure if yeast is a common characteristic with this particular beer or style. Due to an inefficient or aggresive pour maybe,? I gave average ranks. I will reevaluate this beer at a later date; hopefully with a more effective and efficient pour. Nice beer overall though. (1,060 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a medium brown with goldish accents into my tulip; A thick, tan head froths up the way it should and slowly settles down to a thin but complete covering that leaves no lacing.

Lots and lots of alcohol in the nose. Smells acidic and yeasty, but mostly alcoholic - rum, gin, whiskey combined. This makes me a bit leary of my first sip, which I find to be...

Hmm... kind of like apple cider that's taken a turn. The flavor is a bit better than the nose; It has some definite crabapple notes, some spice and caramel, but the alcohol is a big hitter here, too. It's not exactly being disguised.

Mouthfeel is thin despite the head, very little carbonation; There's a quick, tight sensation as you swallow, then almost no aftertaste or lingering sensations except an astringent alcohol burn.

Unfortunately, this beer just didn't do it for me. I found it to be unpleasantly harsh. (890 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Note: New reviewer here, take this with a grain of salt.
Poured 12 oz bottle into tulip.

A- Hazy copper with quickly diminishing 2 finger head
S- Smells sweet and floral faint syrupy smell.
T- Some caramel, a little overpowered by the carbonation
M- A little heavy on the carbonation, goes down smooth
D- Very drinkable. Despite the carbonation it goes down very smooth.
O- I was excited for this beer, I may have set my hopes too high. The taste didn't really come off as strong as I had hoped. The aroma and pour were going well but the carbonation took over and washed out the flavor. (588 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Dark amber color. Nice head.

S: A bit musty on the nose.

T: A bit heavier than I expected. I'm definitely tasting the heat/alcohol.

M: Nice carbonation and weight in the mouth.

D: Not very sessionable. I was expecting this to be very drinkable, so I was a bit disappointed. (282 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -26.2%

Brown-orange color that poured with absolutely no head at all. The aroma is spiced vanilla with quite a bit of yeast. The taste is spicy vanilla and citrusy then turning pretty sour and peppery at the end. There's some noticeable alcohol as well. Not a bad beer. (262 characters)

Maudite from Unibroue