Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
bamarado

harrymel

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -51.8%

Best by: Mar 3, 2013

A: Pours a turbid ruby ale with a two finger peanut head. This falls slowly to a fluffy quilt of the same. Nice orange-brown color where the light shines through near the edges. Spotty lacing.

S: Yeast. chemical and earthy, the yeast is at the forefront here. Some sweet malts, some floral hedges. Don't care for this - too much of the yeast.

T: Yeast and metal. The yeast is as above, vinyl in chemistry for me. The metal is like the flavor of warm stainless steel.

M: Medium to light syrup with high carb. Dry finish. Wish the body was a hint higher with lower carb. Would prefer more resonance on the finish.

O: This beer way to imbalanced with the yeast being soo dominant and makes the beer one-dimensional.

07-09-2011 15:16:55 | More by harrymel
ktrillionaire

2.17/5  rDev -48.5%

A - It pours a lighter brown hue, translucent, perhaps akin to iced tea. It is capped with a big ivory head that quickly retreats and leaves no lace. Though tidy, it does not project a proper BSDA appearance.

S - This beer is very yeasty and very dry in its aromatic impression. I am informed by a dude at the bar posing as a knowledgable fellow that the reason for this is "because it is 'on lees'". What a douche. Anyhow, a good amount of cloves, red apple and grape skins are implied through the nose; there is also a less-than-pleasant aroma of seemingly underroasted grain, Ovaltine, and/or Grape-Nuts.

T - The taste is more spicy-phenolic than the nose would suggest. There is an appreciable dark fruit character, suggesting less-sweet figs, raisins and papaya (not dark fruit obv.) Unfortunately the fruit flavor is not quite sweet enough and as a result the whole thing ends up more wheat-y tasting like a mediocre Weizenbock. As I get deeper in the glass, the Weizenbock comparison is strengthened: the flavor seems to be a cardboard-y malt, cloves and coriander, two-week-old Fig Newtons, all topped off with a hint of isopropyl.

M - Too thin and just wrong all-around.

D - Jeez this stuff sucks. Unibroue makes some pretty horrendous beers, with a few notable exceptions.

03-09-2011 11:41:07 | More by ktrillionaire
tcfishler

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

Dark rich mahogany, clear. Tan head of moderate size and good durability.

Nose brings to mind very ripe fruit drizzled with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper. Other spicy aromas add complexity.

In the mouth, sweet, rich, and fruity. However, this fruit is ripe to the point of spoilage.

I get the similar rotten/oxidative flavors here as I found in Trois Pistoles. I don't know if that's a result of Unibroue's yeast or not, but regardless, it's a complete turnoff for my tastebuds.

12-02-2006 01:14:17 | More by tcfishler
northaustin

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

pours a hazy dark amber with rapidly disappearing uneven head... lots of head with no lacing.

smell: overpowering sweet mixed with alchohol and some sort of artificial fruityness.

taste: carbonated apple juice with some malts and alchohol.

mouthfeel: explodes in your mouth with carbonation then leaves you high and dry.

drinkability: no comment. not anywhere near my style. i remember i used to really like this one about a year and a half ago. oh well.

01-05-2010 05:49:18 | More by northaustin
Sudsy89

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours an orangeish-brown,has a big foamy thick head, high level of carbonation. I noticed some yeast sediment, from the bottle refermentation noted on the back label. Looks kinda muddy and unappetizing. Aroma is spicy, sweet perhaps.

Noticeable alcohol taste, unappealing acidic and sour taste, carbonation is too much IMO. Medium-bodied mouthfeel.

I think this beer was very disappointing and didn't enjoy the taste. The 8% abv seems strong and makes it less drinkable for me, and I didn't even finish the bottle. I don't know if this beer is a good example of the style but I won't drink it again.

03-17-2011 21:22:10 | More by Sudsy89
TimeLincoln

New Brunswick (Canada)

03-10-2013 19:14:34 | More by TimeLincoln
powoo19

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer has a peppery taste. i was not very impressed with its flavor.
I did enjoy its bottle however...The artwork is great and made a great addition to my bottle collection.

07-27-2002 08:06:24 | More by powoo19

05-05-2012 08:00:52 | More by Wordslinger
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

750 ml.bottle poured into a goblet,very hazy pale murky yellowy brownish color,kinda like swamp water,very nice 2 finger creamy white head,to me,the best thing about this beer,with decent lacing.
Smells very spicy with a banana and pear and peppery hilites,with sweet malts,and maybe some east indian spices,well,to my nose anyways.Taste's sweet with the banana comming through along with the spices and the pepper at the end and also a dryness,not my type of flavoring.Mouthfeel is medium heavy with some boldness to it and hard carbonation,the east indian spices or whatever they are sure hit on the aftertaste,this is not my cup of tea here,i'm 0 for 2 on these Unibroue beers,very dissapointed on this type of flavor,,,,Sorry,,,,But just can't acquire the taste for this.

09-09-2007 02:53:41 | More by GrimmReaper
msolar

2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

Good, but not quite what I expected. My rating is certainly going to be outside of the average deviation. I'm not really a fan of the Belgian style with strong citric/flowery/apple flavors. Every sip made me cringe a little bit with the aftertaste. Great appearance, very thin head/lacing despite a lot of carbonation, ok mouthfeel but I just couldn't get past the flavor.

11-01-2008 13:36:38 | More by msolar
Cubaneagle

2.55/5  rDev -39.4%

I haven't met a Belgian Ale I didn't like until this one. I was excited at first when I saw it on tap on my new local Bru Haus so being a big fan of La Fin Du Monde I figured great brewery...good brew. Was pretty disappointed.

A - After the bar maid finally worked out the pour head issue I liked it's appearance. It was medium brown tea like look. She managed to get the head to be nice fluffy white but dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Somewhat sweet smelling with caramel, cloves, almost like a trail mix smell...not too bad and left me ready to experience great flavor.

T - Tasted like a caramel flat syrupy coca-cola even though it had carbonation.

M - Thin and underwhelming, with that slimy residual feeling.

D - Disappointed and underwhelmed. I almost want to go back and try again to make sure I wasn't off that night but the thought of it kinda repulses me.

06-09-2011 05:06:16 | More by Cubaneagle
mttaylor1066

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

Not was I was expecting from a BSDA.

A - It's got the look. That brownish dark amber that Belgian strongs have. A thin, dissipating head from the bottle I opened. (Into a Belgian goblet.)

S - Wow. A strong yeast nose that reminds me of an ale "in process" rather than fully finished. Not skunked, not overly hopped, just not pleasant.

T - Something is missing from this strong dark ale... what is it? Oh yes, the STRENGTH! This is a pretty insipid brew for the ABV and the style. There isn;t nay meat on these bones.

M - Light, too light.

Overall, I did not care for this beer. It lacked a lot of things a Belgian beer should have. I can't understand how my evaluation is so far different from the others.

Nevertheless, unless the second bottle of the 4 pack is radically different, I can not recommend this ale.

08-18-2011 21:31:24 | More by mttaylor1066
instrumentality

2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone.

04-16-2006 06:52:21 | More by instrumentality
JoeyD

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured into a tall beer glass. The Maudite left a thin off-white head.

A - Looks like a tasty brew should, it's a nice warm brown with slightly copper color when light shines through.

S - A bit metallic. I've never smelled a beer like this. I couldn't pick up on any other smell through that strong metallic tinge.

T - I had to sip this beer quite slowly to allow the flavor to come through. It's delicious if you have the patience to drink it slowly. Some toffee, subtly sweet with a good balance and complexity.

M - Quite disappointed here as the mouthfeel ruined the experience of the beer for me. It's closer to a champagne in mouthfeel than any other beer I've tasted. I am a fan of the Belgian style and thoroughly enjoyed Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, but Maudite has a much higher level of carbonation; so much so that it irritated my esophagus on the way down. A friend who was drinking with me had the same experience. He couldn't even finish the glass I poured for him to taste.

Overall, I'm glad to have tried it, but unfortunately it's just not for me. Based on all of the high ratings I thought it would be something special...and I'm sure it is. I couldn't see having more than one of these in a session. I'm definitely glad that I decided to pick up the single and give it a try before buying the four pack. Fortunately I have other Unibroue's that I can try before I have to pass them up entirely.

03-18-2013 03:30:21 | More by JoeyD