Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,876 | Hads: 4,339
3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

A poured an orange amber color with a thin tan head. The head quickly dissipates to leave only traces around the outer edges of the glass.

S aromas of clove, allspice, and some subtle banana esters...fruity plum and fig undertones

T initially clove then slight warming alcohol with a muted banana aftertaste

M high carbonation that seems to spread the flavors over the entire tongue ending with a sweet malty stickiness. Lingers mid-palate before finally disolving at the back of the tongue.

Overall a good beer, true to style and satisfying on a cold winter night by the fire

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured into a red wine glass (closest thing I had to proper tulip). Nice light amber color. Good carbonation. Strong head formation that dissolved to a uniform quarter-inch head.

Nothing spectacular on the nose but for the typical Belgian "funk" which was fine but I could distinguish nothing else.

First sip went down and left a metallic/alkaline twinge on the back of my palate which I attribute to the high alcohol content. This disappeared almost completely on subsequent sips and, except for a slight cough-syrupy twang, the alcohol (8%) remained well hidden throughout. Body and carbonation make for a good mouthfeel as well.

Overall, a keeper, I just expected some more hop character to poke through but, then again, perhaps Belgian Darks aren't where we go for hop nirvana?

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

I know I have had this beer before… I am just not sure where or when. But I love the label. I was actually surprised to learn that the beer was first brewed in 2007. I figured, looking at the label, this was an old beer that has been bottled for years. I was also glad they explained the meaning behind the name. I had no idea what Maudite means… but the meaning and the story behind the name of the beer is fun! I hope I am OK drinking this. Excited to see what the Maudite tastes like. By the way… I love the foil wrap around the bottle cap. Makes it just feel more expensive! (This bottle was only $2.99.) Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I was expecting this beer to be darker in the glass. Of course, looking at the style, it should be a thick, dark brown. Almost like a barleywine. And it has a barleywine appearance in the glass. It seems thick, and has a weak lace. The ABV is pretty high, but if I had to guess, I would have expected it to be higher.

Nose: I am not smelling anything. The tasting notes said "expect a full nose"… unless by full they mean completely empty! I am shocked that this beer has such a weak aroma. On a second sniff I picked up a slight sweetness toward the end… but that's it. It's cold, but that shouldn't affect the aroma that much.

Flavor: There we go. That's what I'm talking about. Now THAT is a good Belgian strong dark ale. Like I said, we are drinking this cold. But I have enough from my first drink to speak to this beer from here on out. I want this to warm up a little. It's too cold! But the flavor is incredible, and very complex starting with a hint of hops ending with a silky smoothness leading to a sweet aftertaste. There are tons of flavors going on here. I always wonder how they can pack so many flavors into a single bottle of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring. But that's OK. I don't want there to be a lot going on here. I want it to coat my throat and leave with a lasting aftertaste. That is exactly what this beer does. It isn't carbonated at all, and almost tastes flat. But then the flavors really kick in just when you think the beer is worthless. The back half of the palate gets the most of the flavor.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It is somewhat dry, with a subtle sweetness to it. Exactly what I expected from a Belgian dark strong ale. The beer manager at Total Wine & More likes Belgian beers. Drinking something like this, I can see why!

Unibroue makes a ton of beers, and this is one of their most popular. For being the second beer they released, I am impressed. It's $3 a bottle, so I might not buy this often. But I am pretty impressed with it. The older I get, the more I can appreciate a good Belgian beer. This is a good Belgian beer. Bottoms up, people!

Maudite - The bottle says: "La MAUDITE (Damned), refermented on yeast bas in the bottle, goes down uncommonly smooth. One taste of this excellent malt beverage will instill you in the highest respect."

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

The presentation of this beer was nice in a 750 ml corked brown bottle.

Appearance: Pours orange brown with a 2-3 finger head and LOTS of carbonation; nice, what you want in a Belgian. The beer is too cloudy to see through but lets the light pass through. Nice appearance.

Smell: The smell is sweet and malty. Significant amount of citrus, fruity esters & spices.

Taste: The taste is very unique, very colorful and bold. The taste had a nice sweet malt flavor to it, but then it went south for me. It got tangy; and much more tart than I expected from a Dark Belgian. Somewhat like an orange drink or fruity wine cooler that make you pucker on the aftertaste. It was certainly not an unpleasant taste, just not the taste I was expecting or that I prefer. There are a ton of reviews praising this beer so it may be just me but I think this may be a love it or hate it taste. It is CERTAINLY not average; and I respect it, but I prefer a darker thicker taste, less 'bouncy' flavors. In truth when I added to the experience, a cheese snack I actually enjoyed the beer as long as the cheese was on my palate to reduce the tartness. I do feel I should rate it though on my first impressions.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was very light and thin, somewhat like soapy water. (not saying that is a bad thing, if that is what you like, just a close analogy to the mouthfeel). Very carbonated and bubbly feeling on you tongue.

Drinkability: While the flavors and mouthfeel were not my favorite; still this beer went down with great ease; it’s very smooth. Because it is so light it drinks like a glass of water when you’re thirsty. If you like the Belgian mouthfeel and fruit beers with a tart kick, give this a try. If you are expecting 'Ommegang' or Tröegs Mad Elf (some of my FAVORITES) you may be disappointed.

I have since discovered that this beer is also available in 12oz bottles. I enjoyed it a little bit better this time around but not quite enough to actually change my previous review; thus the ‘edit’.

Hope this is helpful.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

750ml bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, Maudite is a hazy amber/copper color tons of streamers forming an off-white head with medium-large sized bubbles that leave lightly scattered, foamy lace. An interesting, lighter colored BSDA, but could use more last and lacing.

Smell is moderate, very sweet and sugary, lots of fruity esters. Pretty good, but lacking depth.

Taste fairly muted, not as sweet as the aroma, the fruit here is more cured, from grapes on the nose to raisins on the tongue. Frankly, I expected more. There is a difference between smooth and bland, and this just doesn't pack enough flavor for my taste, even though there are no off-flavors or flaws. It's just not too exciting. As it warms, some plasticy phenols come to the fore, and it starts to get a bit rough. While they're within range of the style, the lack of flavor otherwise over-emphasizes them.

Mouthfeel is very spritzy, way too much for my taste, it mutes the flavors. Lighter body for the size.

Drinkability is pretty good, in that it has a bland, seltzer water taste that beguiles it's ABV, although it's too gassy to drink with speed, and to boring to want another bottle. Based on the high rating, I found it to be a let down, as I feel about all of their beers I've had save La Fin du Monde, which is excellent. In the end, this was pretty generic. This was cheap enough, and I had enough stuff to do this evening, that I didn't even bother with the second half of the bottle. Not that it tasted bad enough for a drainpour, but more that I'm at the point where I save my body for the beers I really enjoy (or spent to much dough on). This one was neither.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Man, Unibroue has had 7 chances to impress me so far and has yet to do so.. I'm starting to think I just don't have the taste for their particular yeast strain. I have one more left after this (their tripel) so hopefully that can do the trick.

This one pours a cloudly light brown with a small head and no lacing. Taste is very spicy with some dark fruit flavors, but mostly ethanol comes through with the spice. Has a smooth aftertaste surprisingly but getting to that point is a pretty rough road. I wouldn't recommend this one.

3.16/5  rDev -24.2%

01.11.10 12-oz. bottle at Beretta in San Francisco.

A: murky brown

S: like bananas

T: can't taste much because it's so carbonated and cold

M: too much carbonation, served way too cold, malty finish

D: I'd love to drink more of it if it tasted how it's "supposed" to taste

I'm a bit disappointed, because I usually really love this beer. It was way too cold. Served at the right temperature, Maudite is phenomenal. The small bottle also probably negatively affected the taste. The 750s are much better, and draught is the best. I reccommended this to a friend who liked it, but I don't think he had a fair/true assessment. Oh, well, better luck next time. Can't wait to review this again, and bump up the points, 'cause it really deserves it!

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Had on tap in a small snifter in Ballantine's in Willoughby.

Pours a hazy amber with a foamy head, with a slow pillowing down.

Smells of yeast, malt and lemon. The lemon is definitely catching me off guard.

Has a lighter taste, with some breadiness. There's an odd lemony sourness, rather than bitterness, that hits the sides and back of the tongue as you swallow. This is a strong dark ale?

Mouthfeel is thin to medium.

Decent enough, but not the beer for me. I know it is a highly rated beer by others; however, life is too short for me to have another of these.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

12oz bottle poured into a red wine glass.

A-Off-white, thick head, creamy and gorgeous, with very persistent head. Effervescent carbonation is evident. Hazy medium-brownish beer. I think the beer was ugly and the head was superb.

S-Light aroma, predominantly phenols, mostly clovey, with yeasty aromas as well.

T-Creamy flavors with bready malts and sweet/fruity nuances. Some yeast flavor, from bottle conditioning. At times, the flavor seemed just a bit plain.

M-Carbonation felt much smoother, almost a silky or creamy character, which surprised me. Body was medium to medium-light.

D-I think this beer was pretty ok. Nothing fantastic, but also far from bad. I'll probably give it another run in the future, though won't search it out.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

drank at home on 9.26.08, poured from the bottle into a wide mouth glass.

Pours a huge 2 finger off white head. very foamy bubbles, didn't even need to be aggressive with the pour. it had a good looking dark brownish orange color. the head dissipated rather quickly but left a nice lacing on the glass. the smell was airy and light. sweet malty, orange and citrus smell. nothing overpowering. a little alcohol smell as well.

the taste was definitely malty and belgian-esque. sweet candy malt flavor. was really hoping for more out of this beer, but I just don't see it (compared to others on BA). mouthfeel was a little crisp and carbonated.

ok beer, but nothing that blew me away.

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the botte.

Poured hazy and brown in colour with a cream-coloured head. Not much to the smell besides malt and yeast. The taste was much smoother than the smell led on, but nothing stands out. It has a sweetness to it that comes from the malt and you can detect some bits of spices, but none are distinguishable.

Would I buy it again? Probably not...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: its a brown color with off white head

S: sweet malts and some belgian yeast in there that drys out the mouth

T: sweet malts first then comes with the yeast and also banana but the finish comes in with this chalky aftertaste that bugs me

M: med mouth med carbonation with a chalky aftertaste that sucks I would give it 1 full letter grade higher if it was not for that bad finish

D: very drinkable if it was not for that aftertaste

overall: are you kidding me with this beer? use a better yeast and you will have an A beer use this chalky yeast and its just a average or slightly above average beer!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - this ale pours a dark brown cola color, with a thin white head, tons of carbonation is visible

S - a crisp refreshing aroma, like unsweetened iced tea, seasoned with spice, like either clove or coriander, in addition in the background is a fruity dark sweetness like baked apples sans the cinnamon

T - spicier than i thought it would be, like a saison , hoppy bitters underneath, the sweetness is apparently solely in the aroma save for a faint vanilla hint

M - too fizzy and spicy for my taste, but smooth otherwise and palatable

D - the lacking in mouthfeel lowers the drinkability for me, but others who enjoy it will love it, its high quality and tasty

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

Head dissipates quickly on pour. Strong smell of unibroue yeast on nose, along with a lot of dark fruit.

Very dry at entry. Flavor is dominated by the yeast at the end. Very, very carbonated, with very fine bubbles.

I remember liking this more, but it hits some of the same notes as the Ommegang Rare Vos and likewise leaves me feeling flat. I guess this is actually one of my less favored unibroues.

3.21/5  rDev -23%

Apperance: Frothy, well formed head. Retention is respectable, becomes rocky. Apple cider in color. Lacing is great.

Nose: Lightly herbacious, orange blossom.

taste: Bitter at first, sweet soft crackers, watery and bitter in the end.

Notes: Adding the yeast did not make much of a difference to the taste, it did not add character like it does with other beers.

3.21/5  rDev -23%

Maudite | 750 ml. | 8.0% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Unibroue
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Glass: Duvel tulip

It pours a fiery dark amber with a bountiful cumulus of foam.

Very pungent and a bit musty. Theres a malty backbone on top of which various fruits--prunes, pears, dried grapes--are layered.

Brawny yet complex on the palate. A powerful surge of alcohol meets the drinker at the gate, after which he is taken into a field of fruits. Big malty sweetness and a sprinkling of cloves underlies behind everything. Warming, slightly bitter finish.

Very strong carbonation is almost overboard for this medium-bodied brew. Clean and crisp on the palate.

It doesn't hide the alcohol all that well for an 8% ABV brew. That said flavors develop nicely. I find the ever-so-acrid aftertaste out of character.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's a fine ale, but too brash and light for my tastes. I prefer the kind of BSDA you can really sit with and mull over--this one's a bit quick.

Bottled: ?
Served: January 13, 2011

Price = $8.99 at Witherspoon Wines

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Good dark appearance, beige thick tan head. Aroma is unique, but not necessarily what I'm all about.

Taste, so much going on. Sugar, caramel, fruit (apple/pear/grass) are in order of most prominent flavor. A sipping beer, too much to take in throughout. An 8oz size would be ample, too much mouth and price to have another.

3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 341ml. bottle, bottled June 8, 2012 (Lot F08121806Q).

Appearance: Pours a light apple cider brown. Starts good with a healthy 3 finger head but it's highly effervescent and within a minute disappears completely leaving no trace behind.

Smell: Pungent dark fruits, musty, dark grapes, some residual sugar.

Taste: More muted than the aroma due in large part to the yeast masking much of the flavors. Spicy notes and dark plums peek through.

Mouthfeel: A bit better. It manages to be a bit lively and warming.

Overall: A shadow of its former self. I remember it being more intense. Very average unfortunately.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%

Maudite pours a ruddy dark brown with a greyish white foam. The head settles to a thick collar. Complex and enjoyable aroma consists of sweet fruit such as dark cherries and figs laced with candy sugar. White pepper and alcohol provide a balancing zip.

The spice and alcohol sharpness is far more pronounced in the taste. Some of the more interesting complexities of the fruit is lost in an initial rush of candy sugar and emphatic finish of spice and alcohol. A shame because the nose showed real promise. Fine and voluptuous carbonation due to the sugar. A little too much even for a Belgian. Spice and alcohol seems to overwhelm making this less drinkable. Doesn't match up to the true Belgians.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a ruddy brown with fair head into my pint glass, highly carbonated with zero head retention. Smells Belgian yeasty with a fair bit of spice. The most notable thing (for me) in terms of taste is the very high level of carbonation- as if a thousand tiny bubbles were dancing on my tongue as I quaff it. Yeastyness is tempered with a bit of hop and spice. Not my favorite Unibroue so far, but still fairly tasty- out of 10 I'd give it a 7.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Pint from Naja's place in Redondo Beach for an expensive $6.50

Poured a dark golden color with about an inch thick head

Smell was full of yeast and barley

Taste was okay, but not worth all the hype, tasted a lot nutty roast hints and oats

Could drink a lot of these just like the guy next to me actually did

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured an opaque dark red-brown with a one-finger creamy off-white head. Excellent lacing to the bottom of the glass.

Smell was very sweet, dark fruit (particularly plum and fig), raisins, brown sugar and alcohol.

Taste was WAY sweet, a mixture of dark fruits and brown sugar. There was no complexity too it, just sweetness. I kind of wish I could have picked up some more flavors but it just came off as a sweet barleywine more than a BSDA.

Medium body with a lot of thin carbonation bubbles.

The sweetness just absolutely killed drinkability for this beer. More than one would be borderline cloying. I'm glad it was a 12oz and not a 750.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the last Unibroue beers I have yet to try. I haven't been that impressed as of now, so lets see how this one stacks up:

A: Pours a real cloudy, amber color. Hints of brown in there. Lots of tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom. Head is white and bubbly, but doesn't last very long.

S: Smells very yeasty with a bready backbone. There is quite a bit of fruit in there as well. Maybe cherry, apple, grape, and quite a bit of spice.

T: Get that typical Belgian yeast. Lots of bread in the flavor. Quite a bit of spice. Some dark fruit like cherry or grape. There is also a earthy undertone in there. The flavor just isn't that appealing to me. Tastes almost like all the other Unibroue beers.

M: Very bubbly and lively. Very crisp and clean. Again, pretty typical for all the Unibroue beers.

D: Drinkability is good I guess. It is 8% ABV but doesn't taste that strong. The main deterrant is the massive carbonation. Some people may like it, but I feel it masks the flavors too much and make it harder to go down.

The more Unibroue beers I have, the more I have a hard time distinguishing them from one another. Its an okay beer, but I have a hard time appreciating Belgian ales as they seem too much like drinking liquid bread. I prefer more robust and intense flavors. This is too much like a wine or champaigne.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz : tulip snifter

Amber red with a foamy, creamy off white head. Great retention.

Quite fruity in both the nose and palate, Belgian yeast notes.

Medium-thin body, low foamy carbonation.

A decent beer, but I would've liked to see a bit more pronounced characteristics in the nose and palate, as well as a bit more full body.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured into a tulip as recommended (12/14/09 exp date)
A- Pours a clear dark red with brown tints, off-white medium-sized head with fairly watery lacing that doesn't stick very much
S- Sweet belgian candy dominates, dark fruits and some yeasty/bread malts on board, subtle hints of cinnamon, pepper, and banana on board as well
T- Initial taste is of malted candy and dark fruits which quickly transitions to a complex spice profile that sticks around in the prolonged finish
M- Medium-bodied ale with a slightly over-carboned feel, watery texture for a strong ale
D- Edgy carbonation and 8%abv make puts this in the 'moderately' drinkable range, but the watery texture really kills this beer for me, I need more body and flavor for my strong ales!!! I've always been lukewarm on the Unibroue offerings and am hesitant about diving into their future offerings (plus the labels are a little too 'Heavy Metal' for me)

Maudite from Unibroue