1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Ratings: 3,568 | Reviews: 1,818 | Show All Ratings:
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Cloudy amber/dark orange. Huge frothy head. Plenty of active carbonation. A very lively pour even though the head doesn't hold up forever.

Smell: Big and malty. Plenty of spice in the nose. Hints of some fruit and underlying sweetness. There are earthy qualities as well.

Taste: Dark and rich maltiness. Complex fruit & spice flavours are present throughout. Noticeable hints of clove and maybe a pinch of cinamon. Dark fruitiness with sweet hints of caramel. Some woody notes as well. Great body and pleasant balance. A dry, earthy finish with some tartness and a warm alcohol kick.

Mouthfeel: Lively and fresh. Plenty of carbonation and sparkling qualities. Smooth out towards the end.

Drinkability: A great, full beer. I could drink this almost anytime, unless the weather is too hot. This is one of my personal favorites. One of Unibroue's absolute best.

06-16-2003 12:24:40 | More by Popsinc
brewdlyhooked13

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

My only two Belgian glasses are Maudites, so it is high time I actually drink a Maudite from one of them. Ridiculous head, 3+ fingers. In ESPN's Stuart Scott terms, it was stupid big. I had to pause for a minute or two before I could pour the rest in. Kind of a dirty orange color with flakes of sediment in the head and body, reminiscent of Westie12. Head retention is solid with a big lump of foam in the middle.

Yeasty aroma and initially lots of spice, but that tames down after the initial vapors disperse. Still, it has kind of a peppery 'nose feel', tickles a bit on the smell.

Taste has a solid malty presence up front, intensified by the alcohol level. Spicy and bubbly, a nice combination, and a bready taste towards the end. Also more malt notes as well and it gets sweeter towards the end, fruitier.

Mouthfeel is substantial, pleasantly smooth, more than adequate for the style, gives it a little more credibility.

Drinkability - on one hand, the high alcohol detracts a bit, but then again, it is decent enough on all fronts to make it a good, if not potent, session brew.

06-13-2003 21:31:46 | More by brewdlyhooked13
jeffboo

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A nice reddish brown with heavy cream colored head, this brew smells of candi brown sugar,citrusy hops, and bready yeast, a complex swirl of aromas. The beer starts off brown sugar with a toasted malt balance and a light citrus hop in the backround. The tiny bubbles makes for a light body that floats in the mouth. A nice after dinner brew but not as complex as some of their other offerings.

06-10-2003 09:11:41 | More by jeffboo
nomad

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured an ice tea color, a red-orange with a dull glow. Had a big off-white foamy head, healthy amounts of carbonation, and not much lace.

Smelled of the trademark Unibroue yeast, raspberries, tart apples, bread, all with a vinuous edge. Taste was creamy-yeasty at first, but then comes an apparent smooth amber sort of ale taste. Flavors of raspberry, apple, super quiet hops, and whiskey notes. Has a sweet fruit and moderate malt with a slight bitter and acidic twang at the end.

With a moderate length finish and a slightly oily mouthfeel, this beer gave no sense of the alcohol. I've had 330 ml bottles in a bar and I had a 750 bottle aged for about a year or so, and the former is much better than the latter. With age it mellowed without anything new emerging, and this beer is much better when it punchy.

06-02-2003 13:25:53 | More by nomad
Stubbie1

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

This strong ale pours a deep dark blood orange. There was a head after the pour but it disappeared without a lace. This is a noisy brew. When I went for my first whiff if aroma all I heard was the head fizzing in my ears. There is a malt aroma that’s accompanied with hints of citrus and yeast. The taste is smooth. It started with and is mostly malt with a smooth sweet finish. This is a very drinkable brew BUT watch out for the 8.0%!

06-01-2003 18:22:37 | More by Stubbie1
Garin

Alberta (Canada)

On the pour, I had to work to get a decent head on this one -- though once it was formed, it stayed reasonably well. It slowly shrunk into a creamy, cratery foam on top. The colour is a slightly cloudy golden amber, deepening to a rusty orange.

Malty, citrusy aromas are present. The flavour is spicy and clean, with a hint of bittery hops and more citrusy bitter. Biscuit flavours build. Yeast and sweet spice are also pleasant and delightful. It's refreshing and tasty.

The mouth feel is very nice and rich as well. It's full and lush, and somewhat warming. The light carbonation keeps it lively without annoying. Overall this is a very drinkable beer.

05-12-2003 19:52:12 | More by Garin
dwarbi

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber, reddish-copper, lovely looking thing of a brew. The head is about a centimeter. A thin layer remains for the length of the beer. Smells lightly of fruit. Tastes just a tad sweet, some spices. Fantastic. And even better mouthfeel! Creamy and rich. You can hardly taste any alcohol. Heavy in the belly, but highly drinkable.

05-12-2003 18:51:46 | More by dwarbi
Jarod

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Another great label from this brewery.
Bottle Fermentation

This beer poured into the glass an amber/orange color that was cloudy but not overly cloudy as I could see plenty of carbonation bubbles trying to escape the glass. It produced a light beige colored head that was thick, rich, sticky and long lasting. Decent lace was produced from top to bottom. The aromas that came from the glass were of big fruits (oranges, pears and apples), deep malt, caramel, bread, pine nuts, alcohol (slight) and spices. The flavors that danced across my tongue were of fruits (oranges, light pears, and apples), roasted malts, sweet malts, hops ( pine and floral in nature) slight alcohol, bread, and spices. As far as aftertaste, I noticed that when first poured (cold) a dry hop taste was present, but as it warmed, it changed to a sweet malty – with a slight alcohol – taste. This is a creamy, sweet and chewy beer. Easy to drink and very flavorful. This beer seemed different then the others, seemed to be more simple in nature, not overly complex, but I enjoyed it just as much as the others I have had from this brewery. 2 thumbs up.

05-12-2003 09:25:57 | More by Jarod
EmoBeerGuy

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This is one great beer. Had this one with my friends the other night...they've posted too. As the said, we had this one together when we knew nothing about beer and hated it. Ohhh have we come a long way. Unibroue is slowly becoming my favorite brewery in the world...though Ommegang is holding on slightly ( gotta support the locals).

This pours to a marvelous deep brown-orange which glows as light passes through. The taste is light and citrusy, with malt complexities too boot and a utlra smooth finish. It reminded me alot of Chimay Red which I had recently and I would like to taste them side to side. Great head with above average retention.

This beer lasted me about a half hour because I did NOT want to see it go. Highly recommended.

05-01-2003 18:03:30 | More by EmoBeerGuy
BittRnessabounds

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I had Maudite for the first time about 8 months ago, and shamefully i have to admit i didn't like it at the time. My first tasting was at the very beginning of my discovery of craft beers, and since then I?ve sampled Maudite 3 other times, tonight being the 3rd time. Each time I?ve tasted this wonderful beer I?ve enjoyed it more. This wonderful ale pours a hazy deep orange/amber with a decent head and reasonably good retention. The smell is yeasty yet buttery with hints of fruit and spice. The taste is also wonderfully spicy and fruity with hints of yeast and just a touch of alcohol. Maudite exhibits a near perfect combination of flavors. The mild carbonation and medium body combined with the tremendous flavor and aroma make this an extremely enjoyable drink. You get no sense of the 8%ABV. This is a truly amazing beer and I?m glad I gave it a several more chances.

04-30-2003 21:52:53 | More by BittRnessabounds
Marty

Maine

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy cow, this beer tastes like heaven. It's so complex that I think any attempt to apply qualitative descriptors would be in vain. Words cannot describe how delicous this beer is. Everything about Maudite is very well balanced, from the alcohol and hops to the spices and fruit. This is the best I've ever tasted in the style. Rock and roll, Unibroue.

04-30-2003 21:50:48 | More by Marty
francisweizen

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Maudite on tap is heavenly! I had these samples at the wonderful McLeans pub in Montreal, QC. This beer was presented to me with a nice, devel-ish dark red amber colour with a small head. The aromas were very spicy and yeasty. The taste was big, bold and wonderful. This beer tastes much different on tap than it does in bottles. It is very spicy, more yeasty and less boozy tasting. The mouthfeel is perfectly balanced and the drinkability is also exceptional. I had 3 glasses of this stuff before I knew it and I was well on my way to getting drunk...After-all, this stuff is 8% ABV!
Cheers!
-F

04-30-2003 12:14:57 | More by francisweizen
86MonteSS

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Well I'll be damned, a flying canoe!

First off, the bottle is right when it says "uncommonly smooth." I'd say it's easily Unibroue's smoothest. The ale and the head fought a little battle in my glass and the head just walked all over the ale, like a Panzer rolling over a Croissant stand. Orange-ish color, and come to think of it, almost orange-ish taste. Unlike a few of Unibroue's more celebrated beers, the yeast plays but a supporting role in Maudite. Sweet, alcoholic, tangy, fruity... I'm loving this one more and more as I reach the bottom of the 750.

Don't ask why, but in searching for the words to describe the carbonation, I could only think of that scene in Logan's Run where the 30-year olds float to the top of that arena and get zapped. I guess Unibroue's whole mythical/apocalyptic theme has me thinking of death. But Maudite just has me loving life!

04-28-2003 21:39:03 | More by 86MonteSS
avylover

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Maudite - "the damned"...well call me a sinner and send me to hell!! Pours in my guitar goblet a nice hazy orange-yellow with a huge foamy white head after a slightly aggressive pour. The scent is yeasty and fruity, as I have come to expect from unibroue This is one drinkable potent brew. It's spicy but spiced to match the taste, which is bready & fruity. I could drink this all night (with dire consequences) The carbonation only helps the drinkability. One of the best. Cheers Unibroue, eh?

- Added Note. 7/21/03 Came across a bad bottle of this last night. Absolutely no carbonation, and the cork was tight. Not the first time I got a suspect bottle. Pretty awful, but no change to review. Where's the QC?

04-20-2003 18:33:26 | More by avylover
marburg

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

The label's wrong! Rather than showing the damned, this beer should show a bunch of contented BAs passing into some sort of dreamy afterlife with ancestors, vestal virgins, football, and lots of quality beer -- or something similar.

Beautiful dark orangish color with an offwhite head. Very spritzy, seltzer-like mouthfeel to it. Taste is complex: fruits and peppery liveliness. You know the beer is kind of heavy, but it feels like a feather on your tongue. Damn good beer. It was flavorful and strong enough to compete with my Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sandwich at lunch today for sure. Tasty.

04-18-2003 11:58:43 | More by marburg
dmarch

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is definately among my top beers. It also has the coolest label I've ever seen. It pours a hazy amber color with a huge, well-retained head. Amazing spicy aroma and taste. I presume that they added some sort of spices to this. I'd like to find out which ones, because this sounds like it would be fun as a homebrew. Apparently maudite means damned. I never thought that being damned was a good thing.

04-12-2003 13:57:24 | More by dmarch
inebrius

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The most poundable dubbel I know. Pours Autumn under Winter. Aromas conjure images of honey-drizzled sopapillas with slices of ripe pear. A draught is sugary, but light sugar, spun and quick and chased off by a dusting of spicy alcohol finished with a lop-sided hop grin. Tingly full and delicious.

04-12-2003 12:39:36 | More by inebrius
Scooter77

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

How can anyone not enjoy the great “damned one?” I love all of the Unibroue brews that I’ve had, so far, and this one’s no exception. It pours a dark orange/brown color topped off with a huge fluffy, white froth that settles down leaving a bubbly 1/4-inch head. There is a nice burnt aroma that escapes from the glass with some sweet plum scents intermixed. The taste is extremely complex, there are so many flavors going on. The first taste was of charred wood, followed by the richness of malt and sweet caramel, finished off with an ever so slight spiciness of clove. This a good, solid medium-bodied beer. The only thing that lowers the drinkability rating a bit, is the high alcohol content, I can’t have more than 2 or 3 in one setting.

04-08-2003 06:42:19 | More by Scooter77
tavernjef

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is one hell of yummy offering by the awesome Unibroue guys in Quebec. 750ml corked bottle, pop this sucker and immediately smell the mingling of sweet spices and warming alcohol. Oh yeah...it smells absolutly amazing, I just loved the sweet spicyness, lets see, theres some fruity sweets of orange peels, some nutmeg, ginger, clove, belgian-like yeast, and heck through in some roasted peppers. Then the taste is super rich and creamy smooth with lots of spicy action and tingly sweetness with a great roasty caramel malt backing thats very bold and smooth. The spice is peppery and fruity. Its got alot of things happening in the taste and feel, its just great to sip and ponder what the hecks all in this thing. The feel is medium heavy bodied, solid, silky smooth and a little bit creamy, that starts sweet, citrusy and malty then goes into the spice level and fades nicely into a fresh and drying bitter hop. Nothing here is overwhelming or overpowering, its all balanced in so softly its hard to phathom. This is one super awesome beer, highly recommend getting some.

04-04-2003 10:42:52 | More by tavernjef
JohnnyDuvel

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Probably my favorite of the Belgian browns (reds? Dubbels?), compared with Chimay Red, Corsendonk brown, Oerbier, Val Dieu Brown, etc. I like pales best, and the darker (Chimay Blue, Trios Pistoles) next, as the browns seem to be a little sweeter to my taste. Maudite pours with a huge, foamy - somewhat carbonated head. Nice, malty taste and smell. Somewhat biscuity, but just a little on the sweet side. Quite a warmer, don't play around with this beer, as it will boot you in the ars!

04-01-2003 19:50:59 | More by JohnnyDuvel
sinistersteve

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors.

03-31-2003 22:27:17 | More by sinistersteve
SamuraiJack

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

I've yet to have a beer from Unibroue I didn't like. As a result, I was prepared to enjoy the Maudite. As it turned out, it would be more accurate to say that I THOUGHT I was prepared. I wasn't. It's truly an awesome beer. Lovely.
Upon pulling the cage and popping the cork you're treated to a very light gas release from the bottle.
Initial pour shows a dark russet/brown beer that is initially quite frothy and carbonated resulting in a quick and thick head that fades into a pretty sticky thin lace. While the beer has a slight haze it's not the usual yeasty cloud. Smells are of fruit esters, spicy yeast and a slight astringent warmth from the alcohol.
The first taste of this beer is astonishing - really nearly overwhelming. So much flavour... malt and caramel and fruit followed by a rush of spice and a little citric-fruit bite and even a little pepper tickling the palette. There is some hop structure balancing the malt and fruit - but the beer is not by any means bitter. Tastes fade into a beautiful soft aftertaste of malt and fruit with the hops tightening the palette and making one wish for more - dying for the next sip, never cloying.
I truly love this beer. It's good in the small bottles but oh so much better in the 750ml size. As insane as it might sound, I think I might order a case to cellar.

03-30-2003 21:04:28 | More by SamuraiJack
shirfan

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer could probably make a killing (haha) at goth bars on packaging alone... happily, it also delivers on taste for the discerning beer geek.

Pours a cloudy brimstone-red with a fairly good head that boils down to a film of lace after a few minutes.

Smells strongly of nutmeg and clove cigarettes, backed up by complex yeasty belgian aromas.

Taste is a smooth mix of sweet raisins, more cloves, and discreet alcohol for the ABV. Notes of pears, nutmeg, and even pepper. Smooth, almost smoky notes mingle with yeast, fruity esters, good carbonation, and a nice zesty, sweet and spicy finish.

The Damned? Quebecois only earn that title when we're playing the Habs...but for producing beers like this, certainly not.

03-26-2003 21:34:53 | More by shirfan
WaltTrombone

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I found this at my local beer distributor (Beverage World, Peekskill, NY) in a 4 pack of 12 oz. bottles.

It poured orange-Brown, with an off-white head that disappeared straight away.

The aroma made me think of cream soda and ginger. The taste was complex, with a lemony tang predominant, and strong hints of nutmeg, ginger, apple, caramel, honey, and white pepper making their presnce known. Mouthfeel was creamy, maybe even a teeny bit oily, with a fizzy carbonation keeping things crisp. The finish was a mellow, dry, hoppy tang, fading to malty sweetness. The 8% ABV adds a nice warming effect.

Wow, what a beer! I can see why it's in the Top 50. I'm normally a stout fan, but this brew will help keep an open mind to other styles. Bravo, Unibroue!

03-25-2003 11:40:53 | More by WaltTrombone
WVbeergeek

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a very dark amber copper tone with an off white tan toned head, each sip is leaving a strong collar of lace down the glass. The aroma is full of an slightly alcoholic scent with fruit and malt sweetness surrounding the fragrance, quite magnificant very good dinner beer. The flavor is a bitter sweet dominance with hints of apple and other fruit thrown in, making this one quite a delight. This one has medium to light body very drinkable brew with a highly carbonated mouthfeel that makes this one tickle the back of the throat. A fine brew that I could drink with me dinner any time!

03-19-2003 08:19:13 | More by WVbeergeek