Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,875 | Hads: 4,337
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

The turbulant volcanic head, smells of smoldering newspapers with a hint of old rubber that is being pulled tightly and light musk.
Unlike many beers the smell is a fair illustration of what is to come in taste, a smooth incredibly well balanced imbibable reflection of body, spirit and mind.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Dennis: I have always been amazed at the level of carbonation that Unibroue packs into their bottles without them exploding. Once opened the beer made a mad dash to escape it's bottle only to barely be captures in our glasses. 5 inches of foam later, we were ready to try this. The taste is typical Unibroue, with yeasty, sweet, spicy malts and insane (but enjoyable) carbonation. The taste is enjoyable, but I actually got a bit of alcohol bitter on the exhale...which personally I like. Of course at 8% it's no real surprise. If you like rich malts, and strong beer with some spices you'll be in heaven drinking a beer for the damned.
Jen: Of the Unibroue's that I have had, this seems to be more unique than the others. The scent is of mild spices and citrus fruits. With first swallow, I get a blend of coriander and clove. I also get a nice blend of malts and very mild hops. The ending has a nice alcohol presence, but nothing that is overwhelming. And, as usual, the nice little bubbles seem to dance across my tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Smooth is the word for this beer. A perfect beer for introducing a newcomer to a Belgian Strong Dark - won't scare them away. I'm looking for a bit more depth myself (maybe because this beer follows a Westmalle Tripel so it gets a reprieve.) Unibroue selections rarely disappoint and this one delivers.

Goes down good,
Oh so smooth.
Just like Papa
Said it would

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Caramel brown color, with slightly hazy body and large head, which settles down but sticks around forever. Good lacing. Strong, amazing smell; very complex, sweet and yeasty. Similar flavor; wonderful, with lots of malts and yeastiness, with some clove. I agree with the previous two reviewers about the hop flavor without the hop bitterness, which is great. Smooth, enjoyable mouthfeel with higher-than-average carbonation. An amazing, perfectly drinkable beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled on 6/12/10. Finally getting notes up.

A. Solid brown, almost a dark nutty brown, whatever that means. Cloudy with a hint of golden flair. Reminds me of a dunkelweizen. Good stuff. Slightly tan head.

S. dark nutty nose. Strong, but weak at the same time. Slight spice and slight cognac. Not a heavy noze.

T. Similar to the nose but more intense and complex. Nutty, spices, and a slight cognac. Definitely malt forward. A good example of the style. I don't drink reds that often but this one is worth the effort. Nice finishing bitterness for a malt forward beer.

MF. A nice buzz to the mouth. Good lingering flavor.

D. Pretty easy drinker for an 8% abv beer. A nice Belgian strong red ale. Haven't had too many of this style so it's nice to find some in my area. I would drink again for sure

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a brownish red color with a tight white head and little laceing. It smells like Belgium. Fruity, esthery and medicinal notes with a bit of bread or toffee. The mouthfeel on this is incredible, a nice light fizzy carbonation. Hints of raisin, cotton candy, a bit of bread. Highly drinkable and delicious.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Beautiful carmel brown color with a big, fluffy head that recedes to about two fingers. Excellent and surprising clarity, given the style.

S: Right after uncorking, yeast hits first, then phenolics (clove, spiciness, etc). Christmasy, I suppose.

T: Flavor is not terribly assertive, kind of watery, actually. Clove, phenolics. Alcohol well masked. It's good...but not great.

M: Again, a bit watery, but not inappropriate.

O: A good beer to be sure, but I doubt I'll seek this one out again.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

Poured from 750ml bottle into my Maudite snifter...

A- Deep cloudy copper color with a small bit of head that recedes back to a thin layer on top.

S- Lots of fruit, almost cherry like when it is colder. As it warms there is wheat and cinnamon.

T- Wheat, cloves, cinnamon, honey, cherries, what am I not tasting. This beer is delicious and shows no trace of the alcohol.

M- Very smooth, a bit creamy but good carbonation all around.

O- I bought the Maudite snifter months ago and just now got around to buying the beer. Should have done it in reverse order. Absolutely delicious beer. Will absolutely buy many times again.

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer has a peppery taste. i was not very impressed with its flavor.
I did enjoy its bottle however...The artwork is great and made a great addition to my bottle collection.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. From its' lovely murky brown appearance that is inter-laced with red. Through to its warm inviting flavours that remind me of caramel topping on top of fresh vanilla ice-cream. A true delight.

A big shame that I am writing this from notes as it is sadly no longer available in Australia.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Another find devil's brew. Poured a foggy and hazy light brown with shades of red and copper. The head was rather light and fizzy and settled into a light foam across the top of my pint glass.

The aroma is sweet and slighty malty with the yeast coming through strong.. Slightless bit of spice lingers in the nose. The taste is like warm cider and cinnamon. There is a little bitter and acidic twinge there but overall it is very drinkable and quiet nice.

Another find job from the mates at Unibroue

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

This is the beer that was my first introduction to Unibroue and definitely one of my favorites.

This beer poured a beautiful reddish/brown color with a fluffy off-white head that slowly dissapated, leaving a thin lace along the sides of the glass. The aroma was full of yeast, giving it an almost bread-like smell, as well as some spices and hops. The taste was quite complex. It began with some fruity malts before giving way to a spicy (peppery) flavor and minimal hops. It was medium bodied and extremely smooth. This beer is remarkably smooth, given the high ABV. This can be dangerous because this is one beer that will definitely leave you wanting more!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at the Saucer for their Halloween celebration. Served in a special snifter. Haven't tried this one before--tap or bottle. Surprisingly good, complex, and drinkable. Had with some chocolate mud cake, which I thought paired pretty well.

Dark mahogany color, darker towards the top. Tan head with largish bubbles, quickly faded to lacing, which soon disappeared. Not much bubbling action going on. Served way too cold, but I did what I could to warm it up.

Smell was typically belgian. Spicy corriander, a little citrusy sweetness. A bit of grass. I didn't detect much else.

Taste was surprising--very fruity--cherries, oranges. Some cough syrup at first. Some oatmeal and cinnamon raison bread. As it warmed up I noticed a bit of ethanol.

Mouthfeel was weak at first, probably due to the cold temperature. Became more full as it warmed. Aftertaste still spicy, alternating with fruit.

Good drinkability. Alcohol content surely disguised for the most part.

Is it evil? I'm not sure, but I'll definitely come back for seconds.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

I love Unibroue beers. and will always try a new one. Had this in a 750 ml bottle.

A- dark reddish orange. Bubbly with a thick slightly offwhite head. Copper Rusty color.

S- sweet and yeasty. maybe brown sugar. Spicy. Fruits

T- spice, still sweet, beady, dark fruits.

M- smooth balanced

D- pretty easy. gets harder after a while.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bomber into a wine glass.

A- light amber with moderate clarity. A fluffy off-white head holds for a few minutes. Good lacing.

S- excellent. A good balance with apple, pear, stone fruit in the front, with a hint of milk chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

T- chocolate with some acidity. Could have used more malt presence, but is still enjoyable.

F- dry, as per style. Effervescent, so the balance is maintained. A bit more throat warming than you tend to get in dubbels, which is why is listed here as a BSDA.

O- a bit bigger than a dubbel, but smaller than a lot of BSDAs out there. Pretty spot on fit what it is.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was actually my first Unibroue beer ever back when I was about 18 years old. I drank a 6-pack of it, right out of the bottle, during a high school trip to Montreal. Hardly beer advocacy, but I decided to revisit it, this time with an actual glass!

A: Dark, reddish copper

S: Fruits...pear and apple mostly. standard Unibroue yeast. Slight astringency.

T: Hardly the cornucopia of flavours I expect from a Unibroue Belgian. Far less sweet than other beers of its kind. A bit of tart fruitiness.

M: Thin, watery. Much drier than I expected.

D: I love Unibroue, but this one is pretty underwhelming. It seems to be a divisive beer, with some huge advocates and others who aren't big on it. I fall into the latter category.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of the 750ml bottle into a wide wine glass a murky redddish brown with a decent head that released some rich, yeasty fruit notes that conjure images of black cherries and plums. The taste is round and sweet with a pretty big mouthfeel without being overbearing in any way. The finish is nice and smooth with a gentle sweetness and slight dryness to clean off the palate.

This is a well disguised 8% beauty from the Unibroue folks. I really can't tire of the ale in any way, shape or form. Subtly complex and rewarding.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into an oversized wine-glass Nov/2011

A - Thin head with good retention, interesting clean lacing. Cloudy, root-beer-like colour.

S - A lot weaker than the other Unibroue strong darks, definitely malty with a candy, alcohol-tinged essence. Licorice, cola, almost vanilla.

T - Again, a little underwhelming, but only due to the high precedence. It tastes much like it smells, but not too sweet.

M - Probably the strong point. Although it has a relatively weak body, the creamy smoothness is just delicious. Carbonation lingers on the tongue 5s after.

D - More drinkable than the other Unibroues barring the fruit ales/lagers, but I wouldn't want more than one. You do feel the alcohol.

O - Another good offering, although not the best. Other than La Fin, this has probably the best 11Oz availability, at least in Western Canada.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into an over sized wine glass

A- Deep and unfiltered reddish-brown with a bubbly 1 finger white head that subsides quickly.

S- Green apples, caramel malt, dark fruits, and spicy yeast notes.

T- A tinge of cider, dark fruits, licorice, caramel, grain, and a subtle hop bitterness. Complex.

M- Bubbly and very carbonated. Almost too much.

O- A very balanced and complex beer, and a very enjoyable one even if belgians aren't your thing. I think i'll let this one warm up a bit.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a Belgian style ale that is spicy and fruity. The beer pours an orange/brown color that is cloudy, a product of the brewery's partial filtration. It has a slight head that is bubbly, and dissipates in a relatively short time with very little that clings to the glass.
The aroma is at first very yeasty, then gives traces of the fruit and malt.
Upon drinking you repeat what you smell, first tasting the yeast and then the spicy fruit and malt flavors. Great taste, although if you are not a fan of yeast, this may not be for you. The brew has a heavy feel in your mouth, and the carbonation is near perfect.

Fantastic beer!

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bottle while visiting New Brunswick. The government liquor store had a god awful craft beer selection with little to no Belgian styles not to mention awful canadian alcohol prices. For that reason I was inclined to focus my attention to the two unibroues, la fin du monde and maudite. The price was cheap because it was a domestic only $5 as opposed to $10ish back stateside for the pint and a half. So i raced home, poured her into a tulip and let the games begin.

A- light caramel brown, very cloudy with almost no light coming through, as if I were deep in an amber ocean looking up at the sun. A bubbly foamy head about 2.5 fingers thick immediately says hello. Although I was only able to get a few quick tastes of this moderate to highly carbonated hat before she vanished. No lacing on this one as I made my way to the bottom of the glass.

S- The nose was great. Obviously belgian yeast with spices, banana, and other fruits hitting a home run in your face. A bit tart which makes me suspicious and hopeful for a sour ale. We shall see.

T- The first taste makes me very happy with my decision. Though lacking that sourness I half expected a fruity, crisp, spicy fountain soaks my taste buds with pleasure. The alcohol is hidden fantastically and before I know it I've finished my first glass and had a smile on my face (8%). Citrus with spices and bread aftertaste. Beautiful.

MF: Full and carbonated. Not a huge fan of high carbonation but the taste really compliments the bubble. Good for sipping or drinking!

Overall: Slam dunk of a beer and will surely be buying again. Very true to the belgian style and though a quite unique undertaking of a brew.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aggressive pour into my Belgian glass.2 inch head that dissapates quickly and a nice dark reddish color.Smell is strong with floral tones.Taste is what one would expect from a Belgian and from Unibroue since this brewery has a distinct taste.A bit of wine on the back of the throat and aftertaste.I rather enjoy anything this company makes and I am not the biggest Belgian drinker.Definatly a win.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I've yet to have a beer from Unibroue I didn't like. As a result, I was prepared to enjoy the Maudite. As it turned out, it would be more accurate to say that I THOUGHT I was prepared. I wasn't. It's truly an awesome beer. Lovely.
Upon pulling the cage and popping the cork you're treated to a very light gas release from the bottle.
Initial pour shows a dark russet/brown beer that is initially quite frothy and carbonated resulting in a quick and thick head that fades into a pretty sticky thin lace. While the beer has a slight haze it's not the usual yeasty cloud. Smells are of fruit esters, spicy yeast and a slight astringent warmth from the alcohol.
The first taste of this beer is astonishing - really nearly overwhelming. So much flavour... malt and caramel and fruit followed by a rush of spice and a little citric-fruit bite and even a little pepper tickling the palette. There is some hop structure balancing the malt and fruit - but the beer is not by any means bitter. Tastes fade into a beautiful soft aftertaste of malt and fruit with the hops tightening the palette and making one wish for more - dying for the next sip, never cloying.
I truly love this beer. It's good in the small bottles but oh so much better in the 750ml size. As insane as it might sound, I think I might order a case to cellar.

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%

It pours a muddy brown-orange in my glass, very hazy. The bubbles were immediate and plentiful. The cream-colored head reduced in a moderate amount of time.

It smells of yeast and malt, with that characteristic Belgian Dark smell that I cannot otherwise identify. Very slightly floral smell, with a small amount of sweetness.

It feels medium-bodied and creamy. A lot of fizzy bubbles are generated in my mouth as I roll it around. There is a significant sweetness. Bitterness is low, but present particularly in the finish. The alcohol (8.0%) is hidden. There is a special tanginess, crisp and citrusy, which is the primary flavor characteristic, and there is no noticable hop character. The beer finishes with a lingering sweetness and bitterness.

This beer is very drinkable - the complex flavors are assertive but not overpowering, and the carbonation, though significant, does not interfere.

A tasty beer. I would prefer less sweetness, and a little less carbonation, but I love the yeast character and the bold flavor, and I appreciate the bottle-conditioning. Also, the label is great.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Unibroue Maudite
12 oz bottle gold foiled top
Poured into a snifter glass. A very large two inch off-white head with a dark amber body. Aroma is very floral and strong notes of caramel. Taste strong pale malts, caramel, good carbonation, slight alcohol flavor, cinnamon, and hint of fig or some kind of dark fruit. Mouthfeel is comparable to other unibroue beers, rich and warm but not too thick. Drinkability is great.

Overall this is my second favorite Unibroue beer and definitely one of my favorite Belgian strong dark/amber ales. Great lacing and head retention and classic belgian caramel flavor.

Maudite from Unibroue