Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

750 ml corked into tulip glass from good ole Pioneer Supermarket on Columbus and 74th in Manhattan NY. Such a big fan of La Fin Du Monde I had to give Unibroue more business.

A: Poured cloudy deep amber, one finger dirty eggs head moving to thick base and spots of lacing.

S: Dry at first yeasty, followed by possibly bananas and dashes of cloves/black pepper come.

T: Follows the nose, then into smooth malt comes out, with peppery finish.

M: Medium to heavy but light bubbles

D: Quite good. My boss is from Ottowa and I am continually impressed with the chaps at Uibroue..while not as good as other brews, this still is a fine example of the style.

Brianmerrilyn, Jun 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle, best-by dated 3/14/10

Pours a light amber color with little head or lacing, which was a bit disappointing.
Smells of yeast and high fruit. I'm getting green apples, plum and tangerine, among others.
Yeast is apparent in first sips as well, backed by a creeping maltiness and subtle dry hoppiness. There is a definite spiciness of clove and pepper; tangerine & cherries mixed with dried fruit such as raisins & dates add to the sweetness along with an overall brown sugar flavor.
Mouth feel is quite dry & puckering from the fruit & yeast. While there was no head to speak of, it did remain carbonated with each sip.

Overall a good, but not great, attempt at a Belgian strong ale. After my wonderful experience with Unibroue's triple, I suppose I expected a bit more punch in flavor from this offering. However, it is still nicely balanced and provides and easy-drinking 8%ABV ale without the heavy syrupiness from others of this variety.

Natural510, Jun 27, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at the Back Abbey in Claremont, CA.
Pours a fairly dark brown with a light tan head into a Unibroue Maudite Glass. The head is pretty substantial and sticks around a while. The smell is pretty standard for a belgian dark ale, with grapes or prunes noticable. Everything else was pretty good, it was a good beer that was pretty tasty, and fairly fruity.

MiScusi, Jun 21, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a cloudy brown with a head that pretty much dissipates.

Smell is sweet and fruity. All the fruit flies that had been lurking in my kitchen around a bunch of bananas came over to investigate. I pick up bubblegum on top of a mix of ripe fruits.

Wow, this is interesting. A lot going on. Orange, toffee, cherries, pear, clove, pepper, bananas, other spices, and a slight note of hops, with alcohol present. I like it.

Mouthfeel smooth, with a bite of carbonation at the end and a presence of alcohol.

A winner from Unibroue. Recommended.

Strix, Jun 20, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

750ml bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, Maudite is a hazy amber/copper color tons of streamers forming an off-white head with medium-large sized bubbles that leave lightly scattered, foamy lace. An interesting, lighter colored BSDA, but could use more last and lacing.

Smell is moderate, very sweet and sugary, lots of fruity esters. Pretty good, but lacking depth.

Taste fairly muted, not as sweet as the aroma, the fruit here is more cured, from grapes on the nose to raisins on the tongue. Frankly, I expected more. There is a difference between smooth and bland, and this just doesn't pack enough flavor for my taste, even though there are no off-flavors or flaws. It's just not too exciting. As it warms, some plasticy phenols come to the fore, and it starts to get a bit rough. While they're within range of the style, the lack of flavor otherwise over-emphasizes them.

Mouthfeel is very spritzy, way too much for my taste, it mutes the flavors. Lighter body for the size.

Drinkability is pretty good, in that it has a bland, seltzer water taste that beguiles it's ABV, although it's too gassy to drink with speed, and to boring to want another bottle. Based on the high rating, I found it to be a let down, as I feel about all of their beers I've had save La Fin du Monde, which is excellent. In the end, this was pretty generic. This was cheap enough, and I had enough stuff to do this evening, that I didn't even bother with the second half of the bottle. Not that it tasted bad enough for a drainpour, but more that I'm at the point where I save my body for the beers I really enjoy (or spent to much dough on). This one was neither.

ccrida, Jun 17, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Smooth is the word for this beer. A perfect beer for introducing a newcomer to a Belgian Strong Dark - won't scare them away. I'm looking for a bit more depth myself (maybe because this beer follows a Westmalle Tripel so it gets a reprieve.) Unibroue selections rarely disappoint and this one delivers.

Goes down good,
Oh so smooth.
Just like Papa
Said it would

jamiejohnson, Jun 17, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Pours a rich deep clouded brown with plenty of sediments. Produces a rocky tan head that left intricate lacing down the glass.

S - Deep and robust a complex mix of dark malts, and dark fruits. An old world aroma remincent of a dark vintage ale.

T - Complex to say the least, rich deep flavors of malts, molasses, fig, rasins and plum to give it a dark sweet taste. Hopes are play backseat to the sweeter malts.

D - Full bodied, you can taste and feel the sediments in the beer, not a bad thing by any means. uncompromised beer deliverys a unsurplassed complexity and pleasure sip after sip.

D - Fanstatic.

trackstar1043, Jun 16, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

A: pours a deep rich coppery hazelnut brown with visible carbonation. creamy rich off white-almond head definitely wants out of this glass! sparse but thick lacing. head remains till the end as a thin layer on top. very nice!

S: smell is very intense with the aroma of dark ripe sweet fruits (berries, fig, dates, banana). hefty malting mixed with a nice yeast profile. Also to note, smelling the inside of the empty bottle is amazing. it smells like sweet berry pie...that sounds weird i know, but it does!

T: WOW! This is fantastic! It's like a puzzle and all the empty pieces are what make up my taste buds and when I pour this into my mouth all the pieces are where they need to be! The dominant flavor on my palette is that of really sweet dark fruits, somewhat berry-like complimented perfectly by the toffee, caramel malt flavors and assortment of spices. VERY well balanced with a minute amount of hops. Almost unnoticeable alcoholic presence but has a slightly warming effect as it goes down and lingers in your mouth. There is so much going on in this beer I could spend ages analyzing it!

M: very well balanced beer, almost creamy smooth. my mouth wants more!

D: well balanced, amazingly delicious and completely unnoticeable ABV make this beer ultimately re-drinkable. this could be a session dark ale!

The taste is like nothing I've had before in a dark ale. Amazingly complex and flavorful. This is the best Belgian Dark I've had. Period. And it's from my home province! This is one beer I will never not have enough of.

I would LOVE to try a vintage or special edition of this beer.

EDIT: I just changed my profile to Strong Dark Ale as my favorite thanks to this brew. Keep it coming Unibroue, this stuff is liquid gold!

julian, Jun 16, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I poured this ale from a 12 oz brown bottle into a La Fin Du Mond tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a chill hazed orangish-brown color. There were loads of yeast particulates evident in suspension - ale on lees indeed! The huge effervescence of this brew caused a big 2+ inch tan head to form with a gentle pour. That head dropped to 1/4 inch in about 10 minutes, leaving only slight lacing down the glass.

S= The aromas coming off this ale were dominated by sweet malts, spice, and alcohol. There were also hints of awesome Belgian yeasts - fruity and estery.

T= The complexity of flavors in this ale was incredible. At various times I tasted herb spiciness, tartness, and fruitiness. The malts lended bready qualities and the warming alcohol finish left me wanting more.

MF= That famously high Unibroue carbonation level lent this beer a crisp feel, despite its medium body.

D= This was one incredibly flavorful Belgian style ale. Way back in the day, this was the first ever Unibroue beer that I tried, and it is still one of my favorites. Makes a great before bed sipper...

spointon, Jun 15, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear, humble, brown body with a full, pillowy, light beige head.

Smell: Toasted wheat malt aroma with a distinct waft of alcohol and notes of lemon zest, bananas, dark brown sugar and various spices.

Taste: Toasted wheat maltiness with a good dose of cinnamon, clove spiciness and a dose of brown sugar sweetness. Orange and lemon peel. Dried banana chips. Sourish yeast character. Underlying hint of alcohol always present. Some bitterness on the drying finish. Grows more clovey as you go.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderately carbonated. Soft mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Paired rather well with the movie Eraser.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in a Maudite snifter, this beer pours with 3 fingers of pillowy head that crest over the top of the glass. It holds together well leaving tons of fine lacing. The body is a dark auburn color, slightly hazy. There's a gentle fragrance that is clove-y and yeasty, with a farm-fresh quality that intensifies as it warms and is swirled. Almost minty.

There's a lot to like out of the first sip; abundant caramel and specialty malt flavor balanced well with the Belgian yeast, and a light, wet, yet highly carbonated almost soda-like mouthfeel that seems to provide exceptional drinkability. Finishes spicy but still not dry. This beer provides a jolt to all senses.

If I could change anything, it might be sacrificing some drinkability for more depth in the body. If I'm paying $2.50 a bottle I'm probably not going to be pounding these all night, so it could sit a little heavier. Still, that's a minor complaint. Very nice, and now I'm even more proud of my Maudite snifter.

boston2bburg, Jun 14, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Well I'll be damned this is a good lookin beer, HUGE carbonation, lots of nice head even in my oversized wine glass, bithin bottle too

smell: absolutely intriguing makes me think of pinot gris with its green apple aroma

taste: continuation on the apple thing except it tastes more like sweet red ones, there are lots of big sweet caramelly malts in there, with a nice dry finish. It makes it so that it's almost like biting into an alcoholic caramel apple There's just a nice crips bitterness at the end. Yet another way that this beer reminds me of white wine.

mouthfeel: tons of carbonation, not to full and not too light in body, plenty of alcohol on the finish but in an awesome way.

drinkability: delicious, smooth, refreshing, interesting. It's straight up awesome. I don't know how to compare this to anything that I've had. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the style. Absolutely exceptional

Donnie2112, Jun 13, 2008

Poured into Duvel tulip

A - Deep brown with a pretty awesome head that was enhanced by the Duvel tulip. Not much lacing, but still a pretty beer.

S - A big yeasty character in the nose. Malts are detectable as well. Very strong aromas.

T&M - Tastes as I would expect from the scent: the yeasty flavor blends great with the malts. The flavor really grew on me as I drank it. A fair amount of carbonation that I feel goes really well with the flavor profile, making for a nice mouthfeel.

D - The alcohol content really grew on me during this one, which diminishes the drink a tad. But like I said, the flavor really grew on me, and I definitely enjoyed the beer. The body is a bit on the heavy side, as well, but, I don't think this is an anomaly for the style.

AmishT, Jun 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a goblet. Note, through some confusion on my own part, this is a bottle from a batch I bought about 10 months ago instead of a more recent batch, but it has been well preserved in a dark fridge so I don't expect any issues.

A: Hazed apple butter like color, very deep, dark browns and reds. Lots of active carbonation and a careful pour resulted in veryfew yeast particles. Light tan, off white head that hangs around forever but lace is not very retentive.
S: Spicy, malty sweet aroma. Lots of dark fruit flavors, sugar, cloves, and light alcohol in the background.
T: One of my favorite Unibroue beers, amazing punch of complex flavors. Fruity sweet body up front with a malt background, followed by yeast middle and slightly spicey, peppery finish. Slight hop bitterness balance out the sweet and finishes slightly slick biscuity with some warming alcohol, but no strong alcohol flavor.
M: Very creamy and smooth medium body with strong carbonation.
D: I love this beer alone and paired with most meals. Incredibly flavor and complexity, yet not overwhelming. Slightly fruiter than I remember after letting this sit accidentally for nearly a year.

yourefragile, Jun 06, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Unibroue consistently brews a high-quality product. And by high, I mean Himalayan. Maudite for me is no exception, possibly even my current favourite of their year-round offerings.

Appearance: A cloudy copper-red.

Aroma: A bouquet of sugar, cloves, and dark cherries.

Taste: Wheat, perhaps something akin to a faint peanut brittle...I can't resist simply calling it, "ambrosia."

Palate: spritzy and quenching. As the Unibroue people describe it themselves, a cognac-like finish.

Overall: What a brew! This one is great all by itself. Also try it with hearty foods that otherwise might get the chianti or merlot treatments: pasta, tomato-based dishes, red meat (beef stew!), or artisanal pizza. A clear winner all-around.

drperm, Jun 02, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

A- Pours a clear copper color (though leaning more towards the brown). Smallish, solid, almond-color head

S- Malty with light yeasty spiciness. Maybe a touch of vanilla

T- Toffee and malty sweetness. A very subtle beer. ...I don't know how to describe this or what to say about it. Its really good and extraordinarily drinkable, but there's nothing about it that makes it stand out.

M- A little thinner body, than expected... or it could just seem this way following a Stone IRS. Low, almost non-existant carbonation.mNot as crazy-complex as some of the authentics, but still really good.

D- Again, following a Stone IRS (on nitro tap) this drinks like water. ...MORE BOTTLES!!!

Avryle, May 31, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

interesting watered-down cola color. Pours with a very loose head, almost like vigorously poured juice. Smells like bread dipped in orange juice. Very cloudy. Interesting taste, very much like it has been seasoned with spices, corriander, cinnamon. Citrusy with definte yeast flavor. Very low carbonation level. Sweet, almost like licorice as well. Slight viscosity, similar to the feel of grape juice in weight. Very good.

avaulteriam, May 29, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4%

On tap at the Alex P. Keaton in London, Ontario. Served in a Maudite goblet.

Nice reddish cloudy appearance. Little head.

Nose of yeast, fruit - plums, apples. Overripe fruit. Yum.

Palate is superb. This is one of my favourite Unibroue offerings. Nice leesy bitterness with lots of sweetness and a hint of spice. Nutty. Prunes. Oranges. Full palate. Went down very quickly and wanted another.

Antilochus, May 28, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

This fine brew pours Amber Hazel-brown with a decent sized head and a fluffy lace that remains for quite a while until settling into a tight lace.
The aroma is of malts,yeast and fruit with a spicy note.
The taste is caramel malts,light hops,a spicy touch and phenolic notes that all seem to be perfectly balanced with the alcohol.
The overall feel is fantastic. Medium carbonation,creamy texture,smooth and slightly bitter finish. Malts and hops getting along so well.

Notes: How do you say no to another? I could session off this brew despite the ABV. I could fill the fridge with no regrets or any care as to lack of space. I would build a cellar just for this beer.
A beer so rich and creamy that one just imagines drinking this as often as possible. This will be a staple in my fridge along with two other beers from this Brewery that I have tried.

Lexluthor33, May 25, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Dark amber with large off-white head that slowly dissipates to nothing.

A- Sweet malty smell. A bit of a spicy aroma as well. Belgian yeasty aroma is also evident

T- Sweet malts a spicy flavor with slight hints of cloves. Alcohol is not noticeable but seems to help balance the malts. Slightly wheaty, perhaps that is where some of the spiciness comes from?

M- Medium bodied, creamy. Moderate-high carbonation.

D- This is an amazing Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Nothing like I was expecting. It might even be slightly refreshing. Has some character that reminds me of Weizenbocks. I'll definitely be drinking more of these.

gpogo, May 22, 2008
4.59/5  rDev +9%

Maudite - 1 Pint 9.4oz - Bomber

A revisit to an old favorite and classic brew. I shared one of these with a good friend on a cold January evening.

Look - Almost resembles a cider. Full, unfiltered body with a thick, foamy head.

Smell - Sweet and smooth, noticable apple or other northern fruits. Slight hint of hops.

Taste - Sweet with light malt and hop overtones. Tastes like apple or plum very slightly.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly smooth, hard to believe this brew is 8% because you can't taste it. Warms when it hits your stomach. Lightly carbonated.

Overall - Such a unique brew from a great brewery. The common beer drinker would definitely be able to enjoy as well. Exceptional.

JMScowcroft, May 20, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Maudite pours a pretty, clear, orangey-bronze color, with a large, fine, light tan lid.

Smells of berry sweetness with vanilla, apples, and yeasty spiciness. Very nice.

The medium-full body boast a creamy-soft and gently-fine, smooth carbonation. The taste has a subtle blueberry/toffee sweetness along with lightly toasted malts and red apple fruitiness. A light spiciness from black peppery yeast completes the package.

Not as crazy-complex as some of the authentics, but still really good.

Slynger, May 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Ah, My 100th review.

Pours a copper colored beer in the bright sunlight. A decent head sticks around pretty well leaving lace.

Smells are of sweet malt smells, banana, and slight spiciness.

Taste is amazing. Bready malt with caramel, spiced with clove and banana, an earthiness, toffee. Amazing.

Plenty of carbonation allows the body to be moderate to light and it remains a refreshing beer with tons of flavor.

rtratzlaff, May 19, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Had a glass of Maudite on Tap in a Maudite Goblet while dining out on a recent trip to Portland, Maine. The waiter initially told me that it was a French Beer which perked my interest since the French aren't exactly known for their beer. The beer is a nice dark rouge (excuse my french) and it retained a nice head. Goes down extremely smooth and could be enjoyed with many different meal selections. You don't taste the high alcohol content at all. This is another excellent brew from Unibroue. Make sure to try this if you have the opportunity!

tdawgydog, May 17, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at La Piezzata in the old city of Quebec.

I'll forgive the fact that this brew gave me away as a non-native speaker. I had the misfortune of pronouncing it "maudeetay" instead of "maudeet". Anyhow, this local Quebec brew definitely deserves its reputation. It looks great, red-brown with a nice thick head (nitro-tap perhaps?). The mouthfeel is perfect, no hint of alcohol or harshness. I would have guessed 6%, not 8%. Taste is very well balanced between sweet, bitter and exotically spicy. I'm a stranger to the world of Belgians so I've never had a beer quite like this before. It paired well with a roasted veggie pizza and I enjoyed it to the bottom of the glass. Magnifique.

Folderol, May 14, 2008