Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +4%

I must be honest and say I have never really taken Unibroue that seriously. It's really no slight at the company at all - I know several members of the staff rather well and they have always come across as righteous people. Yet for some reason I never bothered to really delve into their wide array of styles.

I picked up a bottle of MAUDITE on a whim. All I can say is that WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN HOLDING OUT FOR?

This beer alone proves this brewery is world-class. This ale reminded me of a more robust, dynamic version of the Rochefort 10 (yes, I said Rochefort 10). Beautifully balanced, lingering honey aftertaste, best served in a goblet around 50-55.

Just a hint of yeast and spice from an Abbey yeast, but otherwise clean. Goes down way too easy...dangerously...

I've begun a foray into experimental Belgian styles over the past couple of weeks, and I can only hope to approach the level of craft and expertise I had experienced with this beer.

Cheers.

Sixpoint, Oct 06, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a mud puddle brown color with an average cream colored head, not much lacing detected. The smell is of corriander and orange peel, some light Belgian funk . The taste is of mellow candi sugar, corriander and orange peel, light lemon & granny smith apples, white grapes, and a bready malt base, the overall taste is quite light for a BSDA, maybe an imperial witbier?? The feel is moderate and fizzy, finishes well balanced. Quite light for a BSDA, definitely has BS pale ale characteristics Good drinkability and good Belgian brew, definitley has the Unibroue characteristics in the taste.

Gmann, Sep 29, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Cloudy dark mahogany body under a two-finger light tan head, that reduces slowly to a solid quarter-inch lid and lasts for half an hour, leaving substantial lacing. Pretty beer.

Smell is lots of sweet dark fruits: raisins, dates, figs, dark cherries. Underneath is a solid malty-sour foundation, with a nice balance of floral hops. Hints of pepper, peach, and mint (!?). Mmmmm. Smells goood.

Taste is a bit less intense than the smell, with every note there, but a bit more sour and a bit more hops. That mint taste is there, oddly enough. Reminded me a little bit of mint snuff: a little smokey tobacco flavor.

Mouthfeel is good. Smoooth, round, full, nice light carbonation that fills everything out.

Drinkability is fine for an 8% beer.

Overall, really quite good. Definitely a good beer for the money.

ColoradoBobs, Sep 28, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Pours a dull orangish brown, like an aged brass handle in a dingy old bar. Big, slightly off-white head climbs to three fingers and stays there for a minute or so. All in all, a beautiful beer.

S: A big yeasty nose that hints at honey and sugar. A quality strain lives in this bottle.

T: Big bready malts backed by a sweet yeast character that sports a flashy clove walking stick. There are slight banana notes that peek in an out as everything warms. Some alcoholic warmth, but it's not offensive.

M: Sharp on the tongue, like a good belgian should be. Bright carbonation mixed into a thinly oiled liquid.

D: Delicious. I put the 750 down and was looking for the next. So, maybe it's a bit dangerous, but damn it's good.

BeardedSquash, Sep 28, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle from Andy's Liquor in Rochester poured into a goblet

A: dark ruby red, garnet colored beer, opaque with a large head when poured the climbed up a third of the glass and settled to a quarter film of off whte head with varied bubbles.

S: strong yeasty smell w/ characteristic yeasty smell, peppery smell from the alchohol on top of a solid malty taste underneath.

T: malt continues, sweet in the front, and then becomes spicy near the back of the tongue. Cherry, figs, other fruit underneath. Yeast and spice overpower just a bit, but not bad. A big beer that reaches out.

M: medium with plenty of malt backbone that lingers. Builds over time and is pleasant to sip.

D: very smooth and easy in spite of alcohol. Flavors are assertive w/o being aggressive.

Overall: a very excellent beer that is perfect to sip and let warm up.

FightingEntropy, Sep 25, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Best Before: 02-16-09

Maudite has a reddish color and a decent amount of foam. Good lacing and carbonation kept constant throughout. Aroma is of fermented grapes, raisins, acidity, and malt. Taste is sweet upfront with some dark fruits like dates, raisins, figs, and prunes. Mouthfeel is very good as well as the carbonation.

seaoflament, Sep 24, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

I love, love, love Unibroue. But, this isn't my favorite beer from them.

Pours a reddish coppery color. No real head, no real carbonation. Lots of yeast/malt strains on the palate, along with some apple/pear/dark fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is just not impressive; thin, watery, and the flavors aren't nearly as rich or strong as other Unibroue offerings.

Overlord, Sep 23, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance - Dark reddish, two fingers of head which reduces quickly.

Smell - Strong smelling. The high malt content stands out in the smell, along with hints of dark fruits.

Taste - Like the smell, it is strong, and the malt stands out and tastes great. The malt is accompanied by a sweet caramel taste, and the high alcohol content isn't very evident.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, well carbonated, great aftertaste.

Drinkability - The first half of the bottle disappeared much quicker than I expected, and I would certainly have liked another one.

Overall - Very impressive. I strongly recommend Maudite to anyone who likes dark ales.

Cs1987, Sep 22, 2007

Havent had this beer in over ten years. Cloudy, carbonated, like the cloud world bespin at late afternoon. Smells like the wind swept barley fields of Alderaan. Spicy, fruity, lots of taste, not very malty, but a sweet dry aftertaste like programming binary lifters on Tatoine. Big hairy mouthfeel, like a wet wookie. May the force be with this beer.

Murchmac, Sep 20, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

Pint from Naja's place in Redondo Beach for an expensive $6.50

Poured a dark golden color with about an inch thick head

Smell was full of yeast and barley

Taste was okay, but not worth all the hype, tasted a lot nutty roast hints and oats

Could drink a lot of these just like the guy next to me actually did

Floydster, Sep 15, 2007

I am not sure why it has taken so long for me to get around to sampling Maudite, but finally I picked up a four pack of this ubiquitous beer and poured the first serving into a goblet. The body was initially very clear until I got around to the clouded yeasty pour. It looked reddish amber in color, and amply carbonated, forming a three finger head readily before the glass was fully filled. Aromatically, this was a mild beer, as the light spicing, nutty malt, and musky yeast smells were all quite subtle and well blended. The taste was quite dry and and rather spicy with a lot of clove and and saffron flavors. A touch of sourness and warm alcohol showed up in the finish. Very light and lively on the palette as a result of the carbonation. A little different take on the Belgian Strong Ale category, as this came somewhere between the sneaky beers like Duvel, and the very overt beers like most Quads.

rajendra82, Sep 15, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Becoming a BA has opened my eyes to a lot of new styles over the past couple of years and the beers of Belgium (or, rather, Belgian style beers) have really intrigued me of late...

Poured into a goblet, Maudite is truly a beautiful thing. The deep red brown color is actually a close match to the walnut desk I'm sitting at as I type this. A quickly forming light, fluffy 1" head dies down and leaves a delicate scalloping around the perimeter of my glass... Fruits abound in the nose and I can smell a lot of banana, pineapple, and maybe a little grape. Cloves also come into play, and with the aroma of yeasty bread, the different fruity esters all come together wonderfully... All that description of smell and yet the taste is what truly makes this beer one of the most complex I've ever tasted. I get all the fruit and hints of the hop character right off the bat. While these flavors meld and then melt away, the cloves slide in riding the slightly elevated ABV, bringing a pleasant spiciness to the whole mouth. As I exhale, the heat and the spices stick around while the fruitiness, slight hoppiness and that distinct yeasty bread vibe make a triumphant return... The complexity of flavors, combined with the light tingly carbonation create a tremendously harmonic mouthfeel, helping to make this the most drinkable Belgian style beer I've had to date...

beergynt, Sep 14, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz twist cap bottle into large wine glass

A: cloudy kind of brown with an orange hue, nice one and a half finger slightly off-white head with good retention. active carbonation

S: a bit spicy on the nose with orange zest and faint hops

T: again slightly spicy, fruity, mostly apple

M: medium to full bodied, somewhat sweet, fizzy carbonation but somehow creamy

D: 8% is hidden pretty well, making a couple of these easily doable.

Rainintheface, Sep 13, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

12oz bottle with a cool label of Satan. Poured into tulip glass, a gift from my fellow beer geeks. Got this bottle from 'The Bakery' in Farmville.

Hazy deep amber in color. Supsended yeast is noticable. The lace was huge on the pour but died almost instantly.

Smells like yeast and alcohol. Fruity notes are also present.

Not what I was expecting. I think I got a skunked bottle because it didn't taste good at all. High in alcohol, and lots of burn. But the hops helped a little bit. Light body... I know, but I think my bottle was bad because there weren't many up on the shelf and I got mine from the back.

For two fifity a bottle I might get it again but this time I'll let it sit in my fridge for a month before drinking it. I only let it stay in my fridge for two days last time.

ghostmech007, Sep 12, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured into a tulip as recommended (12/14/09 exp date)
A- Pours a clear dark red with brown tints, off-white medium-sized head with fairly watery lacing that doesn't stick very much
S- Sweet belgian candy dominates, dark fruits and some yeasty/bread malts on board, subtle hints of cinnamon, pepper, and banana on board as well
T- Initial taste is of malted candy and dark fruits which quickly transitions to a complex spice profile that sticks around in the prolonged finish
M- Medium-bodied ale with a slightly over-carboned feel, watery texture for a strong ale
D- Edgy carbonation and 8%abv make puts this in the 'moderately' drinkable range, but the watery texture really kills this beer for me, I need more body and flavor for my strong ales!!! I've always been lukewarm on the Unibroue offerings and am hesitant about diving into their future offerings (plus the labels are a little too 'Heavy Metal' for me)

Stoneman78, Sep 10, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

750 ml.bottle poured into a goblet,very hazy pale murky yellowy brownish color,kinda like swamp water,very nice 2 finger creamy white head,to me,the best thing about this beer,with decent lacing.
Smells very spicy with a banana and pear and peppery hilites,with sweet malts,and maybe some east indian spices,well,to my nose anyways.Taste's sweet with the banana comming through along with the spices and the pepper at the end and also a dryness,not my type of flavoring.Mouthfeel is medium heavy with some boldness to it and hard carbonation,the east indian spices or whatever they are sure hit on the aftertaste,this is not my cup of tea here,i'm 0 for 2 on these Unibroue beers,very dissapointed on this type of flavor,,,,Sorry,,,,But just can't acquire the taste for this.

GrimmReaper, Sep 09, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a hazy brown/red color with an inch and a half off-white head. It smells like dark fruit, cloves, pepper and yeast, an overall nice aroma. To me it tastes the same way it smells, I can't notice anything extra. Mouthfeel is medium with a lot of zippy carbonation. Even with the carbonation, the beer goes down very easy and smooth making this a very drinkable brew. The alcohol isn't very noticable at all either. I think this is an overall good beer, I'd definitely drink it again.

bluejacket74, Sep 08, 2007

On-tap at the Abbey, in Seal Beach, CA,

A: Dark red, with some brown highlights, nice white head, poured into a Maudite tulip, that looked almost like a brandy snifter.

S: Very yeasty, with some dark fruits and cherries, but quite fragrant.

T: Very good, a nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale, very fruity and yeasty, with some cherries and strawberries, mixed with some dark malt.

M: Good, full-bodied, spritzy, high in carbonation, but once the carbonation dies down a bit, a rather thick brew appears, with a hint of medicinal quality.

D: Another good brew from Unibroue, very yeasty, with that Unibroue house character, I liked it a lot, easy to drink for a high alcohol brew.

Halcyondays, Sep 04, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -15%

A: Murky, mid-brown with apricot/orange tints. Off-white, fading head.

S: Spice profile is wonderful... cinnamon, anise, musk. Warms into some tropical fruit. Some notes of perfumy candle wax.

T: Malt & spice again. Complex, savoury & sweet. Slight alcohol heat. I reckon you could pair this with mild Indian curries.

M: Slightly fizzy in the mouth.... Tends to finish fairly quickly, except for spice notes, which hang around like mouthwash.

D: It's a tasty drop.... but I couldn't drink too many.

vancurly, Sep 01, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

350ml draught
8.0% ABV
I tried this beer on August 30, 2007 at the 'Beer Bistro' in Toronto. The beer was dark brown with a smallish white head. The aroma was a combination of malt and spice, possibly cloves. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with some mild carbonation. The flavour was smooth and spicy with some malty hints.

cyrenaica, Aug 31, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

a: One-finger off white head slowly falls to a thin layer and decent ring. The beer is a pretty average amber in color.

s: Smells really good, complex spicing upfront with coriander, curacao, and pepper to name a few. Followed by a great Belgian style papery hop aroma and a candied malt backing. A touch of sweet banana. Not mind blowing but extremely solid, love the tasteful spicing here. Smells of a dark and pale hybrid.

m: Carbonation on the lower side of the high range and prickly, with a clean lighter medium body. Could stand to be a bit smoother with more body felt on the tongue.

t: Tastes good, but I really expected a bit more here, I guess in malt complexity. Still, nice clean malt sweetness with a range of spice and fruit. The spice seems to dominate, with coriander and orange peel. A considerable level of papery aged hops and a light bitterness, very clean finish.

d: quite easy

single bottle from Whole Foods Raleigh, best by 3-14-10

blackie, Aug 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a brilliant cranberry-brown with an almost tan head, but not quite, more like a beige head. Nice thick head that sticks around for a while but left me no lace. Smell is of bread, yeast, and some sour notes. Taste is exceptional. I think this may be the first 5 I've given on taste but I could be wrong. Amazingly complex but somewhat easy to break down. Starts with a fruity (banana) taste, a slight taste of alcohol, and some yeast. Then it takes a complete 180 and has a great malt taste as it goes down. My very first sip it was almost hefe like but ended up like a amber. Great aftertaste, somewhat high in carbonation and that adds a nice crisp element to it. Overall I would say it has a medium mouthfeel as at times it almost had a creamy texture to it. This is a terrific beer!

bunnyhustle, Aug 26, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

750mL, sitting in my beer closet for a while, but it looks tasty to me. Pours somewhere between caramel and café-au-lait (an open request: can someone give more words for shades of brown?) with two and a half fingers of thick, substantial-looking off-white head. It leaves a great big ring of lacing with fingers of foam reaching all the way down into the beer. I can't rate this super-high, because I know this Duvel tulip makes EVERY beer look good.

The aroma is Unibroue yeast-- esters and phenols on steroids. Some sweet light esters and something that might be candi sugar; I'm not sure if Unibroue uses it.

Opens up with very subtle light malts, with massive banana esters showing up mid-palate along with some nonspecific spicy phenols. The finish is a little malty and extremely estery.

The beer is light to medium-bodied with substantial carbonation. It's a little light to be a heavy hitter with BSDAs like Rochefort out there, but it's a solid, drinkable brew-- another very workmanlike product from Unibroue.

kajerm, Aug 21, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Eye: Poured into a goblet. Dark brown in color with ruby highlights and semi clear. The head is tan and very creamy looking, Doesn't appear to have much lacing. Retention is great though size seems a bit small.

Nose: Very very complex here. Lots of aromas flying around, dark fruits, sweet candied aromas, and some spiciness from the hops just to name a few. Its really hard to pick out all the aromas in a brew this complex. Alcohol is well hidden.

Tongue: Complex in flavor. I detect light notes of caramel and toastiness. A lot more is going on here than just malt and hops. There are spicy flavors as well, definitely clove flavor. Not quite what I expected from this brew, there are no dark fruits...which I almost definitely expected to find. All in all, in my opinion, the flavor of this brew is fleeting.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This is the driest Belgian Strong Dark Ale that I've ever had, thats for sure. Carbonation is low as can be expected from the style and a fairly light body. This beer isn't hard to drink, though I'd much rather be sipping at Chimay Blue than at this.

becktone, Aug 20, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a slightly hazy dark ruby amber color with a deep loose white head that fades fairly quickly. Spotty lacing. The smell is fresh, tart, partly fruity and yeasty. Medium bodied, the mouth feel is effervescent and smooth. The flavor has the same rich yet tart spicy characteristic as the nose. The taste of dark fruit and apple lingers nicely. The 8% ABV is warming. A reasonable drinker.

jjayjaye, Aug 18, 2007