Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
ryantupy

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a reddish amber haze with a very rocky white head that remindes you of champagne. Smells of very spicy aromas and fruites and maybe brown spices. It tasted very complex, smooth, and malt. At first I detected hints of fruit and malt then as the bottle went down I started to notice a spiciness, brown spices, and even a little tangy or chewy. Wow! what a good beer. I wish I could find it in 12oz bottles instead of the 750ml bottles since sometimes I am in the mood for this beer just not all 750ml's of it.

07-27-2005 21:23:06 | More by ryantupy
DogFood11

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

spiced beligian is the best way to describe this beer in my opinion....a belgian yeast smell with cinnimon type flavoring....the alcohol is hidden until the finish...the finish is warming for sure and a bit citrus.... no lacing of any kind. I had this in a flute type glass so maybe that had something to do with it. I would for sure buy this again and reccomend this for trying to get laid....chicks will love this beer and its strong.

07-25-2005 01:56:56 | More by DogFood11
twilight

Germany

Pours a light brown/dark golden color with a very fine head that covers the entire beer in the glass. Aroma is fruits and alcohol in the background. Taste is sweet, with some spices and a light bittering aftertaste. Not spectacular, but very solid. Very slight alcohol burn in the back, but still excellent nonetheless. Mouthfeel is nice, fine carbonation and very good drinkability.

I've had this a number of times in the past years and, while there are very many other more delicious brews out there, this one does not ever fail to please. A very standard, rock soild spiced brew.

07-25-2005 00:47:59 | More by twilight
Pegasus

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Pours a deep toned copper color with a bit of haze. There is a profusion of sediment in the bottle, if this is swirled, the color turns to that of coffee with a bit of cream. The head is small, off-white, and retains well. The lacing is thick and glass-coating. There are many streams of slow-rising bubbles.

Aroma: Profound note of ripe bananas, as well as nutty and earthy aromas, dark fruots, some caramel, and vinous alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a rather sweet, honey-like note, somewhat like mead, as well as light fruits. Midway through, there is a bitter chocolate and earth note and a late note of spicy alcohol. The taste draws to a close with a lingering, mild herbal hop note.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very soft on the palate, quite full in body.

Drinkability/notes: Quite excellent, a beer for quiet sipping and contemplation, with an appealing complexity.

Packaged in a short twelve ounce brown glass bottle with a twist off crown, served in a pint tap glass.

07-24-2005 19:21:05 | More by Pegasus
BenZ

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

a- Served in a goblet, fast fading head (not as fast as trois pistoles) amber color, slightly hazy
s- Amazing smell: papaya, apricot, some rasin, and a crapload of pineapple! So awesome, how'd this come from barley and hops? Didn't get much alcohol, even as it warmed.
t- Very similar to smell, maybe a tad to sweet, otherwise would have been a 5.
m- Carbonation really helped counteract the sweetness
d- This one will have its own private place in my fridge. I think it can be drank year-round very enjoyably!

My favorite so far from Unibroue.

07-18-2005 21:41:42 | More by BenZ
KarlHungus

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a drak brown color with a huge off-white head. Aroma is of citrus, plums, grapefruit, and soft alcohol. Taste is rather mellow for a brew this size. Kind of juicy, kind of tangy. Nothing standing out as being too bold. Alcohol peaks through quite nicely adding to this beers complexity. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. highly recommended.

07-09-2005 13:55:55 | More by KarlHungus
Pepeton

Mexico

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Bought this one in a supermarket for a real bargain, not dirt cheap, but still a bargain. Maybe it's a marketing strategy to place this brewery in the palate of Mexicans. I hope.

Dark hazy brew, with a short lived tan head.

Smell is fruity, spicy, really complex.

Taste is tart, smoky, carbonation really gets you in every sip. Reminds me Unibroues Raftman.

Mouthfeel is creamy, robust and dry.

I could drink this one anytime, but I live in México and the weather is always a factor. Trois Pistoles is more for my winters, when the temperature drops maybe to the lower 40s (the last 15 days the minimum was 72° early one morning and highs around 110°).

07-08-2005 13:48:24 | More by Pepeton
beersarang

Pours a peach to amber with a light head that foams up and goes away. Lot s of carbonation in this one.

Fruity spicy aroma, like peach pie with cinnamon.

A touch peppery, but more tart peach and buttloads of green apple and apple peels in this one. The apple character works with the bready malt character to give a nice flavor overall. Hops are not too noticable, and bitterness is not either. Overall very balanced, finishes a touch sweet and tart.

Medium bodied, carbonation is a touch annoying.

I would get this again, the flavor is interesting and I want to come back to it again for a second impression.

07-05-2005 21:14:10 | More by beersarang
jamesclark

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

It pours a muddy brown-orange in my glass, very hazy. The bubbles were immediate and plentiful. The cream-colored head reduced in a moderate amount of time.

It smells of yeast and malt, with that characteristic Belgian Dark smell that I cannot otherwise identify. Very slightly floral smell, with a small amount of sweetness.

It feels medium-bodied and creamy. A lot of fizzy bubbles are generated in my mouth as I roll it around. There is a significant sweetness. Bitterness is low, but present particularly in the finish. The alcohol (8.0%) is hidden. There is a special tanginess, crisp and citrusy, which is the primary flavor characteristic, and there is no noticable hop character. The beer finishes with a lingering sweetness and bitterness.

This beer is very drinkable - the complex flavors are assertive but not overpowering, and the carbonation, though significant, does not interfere.

A tasty beer. I would prefer less sweetness, and a little less carbonation, but I love the yeast character and the bold flavor, and I appreciate the bottle-conditioning. Also, the label is great.

07-03-2005 03:08:36 | More by jamesclark
alexgash

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +10%

750 ml, cork and cage bottle. Cage says 2004.
Revisiting (after the passage of too much time) one of the early "good" beers I had. I remember being intrigued and even a little scared by the label, but I loved the beer.

Pours into the tulip glass with a release of pent-up carbonation. Sparkling, amber-hued, copper-edged body with a fabulously rocky, tumultuous, creamy, off-white head. Head stays forever, and laces beautifully.

Nose is powdered sugar, caramelized candy, mixed with tropical fruit esters (some banana, a little candied peach, kiwi) and a heady dose of Unibroue yeast. Luckily, I really like their yeast.

Sugary, wheatish malt has a sweet, candied fruit flavor that isn't overpoweringly sweet. Rum-soaked banana-raisin pudding sounds close. Full-bodied chewy feel without being cloying or syrupy. Yeasty, peppery bitterness does enough balancing to make this damned beer very drinkable.

Still a favorite after all these years (5!).

06-26-2005 23:41:00 | More by alexgash
MUSHROOMCLOUD

I shared a .750 bottle with my brother last night. Bad idea, I wish I would have kept it all for myself.
The beer poured out a murky orange/brown color with a 1" creamy head that had great retention.Decent lacing.
The aroma of this brew was Unibroue yeast, nice! There is some herb and spice in the nose also.
The beer has a wonderful complex flavor. Filled with spiciness as it warms and a little touch of fruitiness(raisin,fig,plum?). Also some herby flavor in the background. The yeasty, bready flavor is great. Very fine offering from Unibroue.
The beer has a creamy mouthfeel, the 8% alcohol is not readily apparent in the flavor. Maudite goes down very smooth and has good drinkability. The 8% might sneak up on you after a few. Highly recommended along with every other concoction I have tasted from this brewery.

06-25-2005 16:38:30 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
TPSReports

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12 once bottle dated best before 5.31.2007. Today is June 21, 2005 so plenty of time left to enjoy this batch.

Pours a delicious ruby amber color into my tulip glass and forms a tall thick taupe head. The head rapidly transforms from tiny bubbles to much larger ones.

The smell is of roasted malt -- a slight hint of coffee with a bit of ripened fruit lurking the background.

A delicious Canadian attempt at a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. The brew hits on all the right notes and is true to form.

Quite delicious! I will add several to the cellar and be hard pressed not to grab one instead of something else.

Cheers!

06-22-2005 00:30:22 | More by TPSReports
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Yet another brew from fellow BA Chatter (and the last unique beer I have to review from the trade). This was probably my favorite all around from the 3 Unibroue brews I have yet tried. It is a bit lighter than the Trois Pistoles, but it is strong in areas where the TP tended to lack.

The appearance is an dark plum color with a thin head. This beer didn't for as perfect of a head as the other two Unibroue beers I collected from this trade, but it managed to stay through the duration of the glass. Looks beautiful in a tulip.

The smell is very fruity and berry-y. This beer seems to have an excellent smell whereas the Trois Pistoles was a bit lacking. Also, it doesn't seem to be quite as grainy, and has a bit more of a candi sugar aroma to it. Brilliant!

The taste is nothing short of brilliant as well. Has a definite candi sugar taste, though thoroughly malty sweet as well. Only has a tiny bit of a spicy hoppiness. The mouthfeel is slightly dry. It doesn't get much better than this. I wish I could get Unibroue products here in Iowa, because I've fallen in love tonight. As my parents are lovers of Sleeman for some reason, I'll have to save a bottle or two for them to enjoy the taste of a real beer.

06-18-2005 07:24:11 | More by neonbrown82
PatYoda

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Hazy dull orange brown with a long lasting large bubbled head. Smell consists of just-picked Granny Smith apples mixed in with a very strong yeasty smell, and some breadiness. Taste is immediately pleasantly sour. Apple skin taste is definitely there. The yeast makes an appearance to add some dimension and sharp spiciness as well, and the breadiness ties everything together. There is certainly some sugar in the back too. Definite warming, but the alcohol doesn't show up in the taste at all. Nice and creamy on the tongue - carbonation isn't overdone thankfully. Very nice. I will definitely be having another.

06-17-2005 23:32:26 | More by PatYoda
ypsifly

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Corked 750 with a best before 10/18/07 date marked on back label, poured into a chalice.

Hazy, burnt amber with a large and loud head that is light tan and shows great retention and stickage.

Smells of cloves, bananas, spices, sugars and peppery alcohol. Has a tartness to it.

Lots of fruit tempered by dry malts when first tasted. There's bread from the yeast and pepper from the alcohol. There's some sweet sugar notes that dance around with a citric tartness. Very complex and balanced.

The mouthfeel is almost creamy. Quite drinkable despite the abv. Highly recommended.

06-17-2005 04:22:02 | More by ypsifly
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Max's in Baltimore
Dark brown colored brew, with less carbonation than I remembe in the bottled versions, still has the nice ring and lacing

Sugary dark fruits and yeasty spice on the nose

The best tasting Unibrew beer this side of 2005. Malty dark fruits (currant and cherry) swim around with chocolate and coffee. Bready malts and Belgian candy sugar come through with some woody and hoppy bitterness near the end and when it warms.

Medium to heavy bodied, just the right amount of carbonation.
Drinkable, very so, but the ninja ABV will get you...

06-15-2005 14:44:57 | More by Dithyramb
sinistermadman

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

This brew pours a cloudy amber while the head is a effervescent white which settles to a slight lace.
Smell: Very spicy with some subtle fruit aromas
The taste is quite complex. Starts with sweet fruit and quickly morphs into a spicy pepper like character coupled very faintly with a hop bite. Very crisp on the palate, but very drinkable. This ale seems to coat the tongue in a bath of prickly carbonation, which helps hide the alcohol. Tread lightly as this is quite a drinkable brew.

06-05-2005 22:28:58 | More by sinistermadman
palma

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Body is a dark tan with a copper hue. The pour creates an off-white head that is minimal in size, though a Belgian lace does remain steady.

A light, yet complex fruity aroma. Some calm spicy notes as well.

Taste is much lighter than I expected but it is still good. This may be because I thought it was Belgian Strong Dark ale as this is how it is listed on BA. However, Unibroue describes it as a Belgian Red. Anyhow, the flavor consists of very light fruit and spice, particularly apple and coriander. A solid sweet, but light maltiness pulls through in this brew. Very subtle hop flavor.

A very smooth and satisfying mouthfeel.

I like this brew very much but I think Unibroue has better offerings.
I'd take La Terrible over this any day.

05-31-2005 21:01:31 | More by palma
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

eli's 5/26/05, unibroue wine-type glass.

iced tea in appearance, not too foamy but carbonated to the end of the earth and back. nutty brown dullness upon settling. not too impressive, i prefer the look of the golden unibroues.

smells sugary, underyeasted for a canadian-belgian. woody with dark fruits in the nose, slight fresh astringency. a crisp belgian-style aroma.

taste is malty and raisiny with a lingering dark fruit aftertaste. acidic mixes well with the biscuit nature. slight alcohol bite and even a slight hop resistance to the belgian candi sugar sweetness. fruitier, more port and wood as it warms. pairs nicely with spicy food and loses no flavor.

like most u brews, way too drinkable for something that will kick your ass if you keep it up. equally good in the bottle.

05-30-2005 21:15:54 | More by goodbyeohio
ommegangpbr

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Doesn't strike me as a dark ale. I think of it more as a darker pale ale.
Seems like a watered down La Fin du Monde.
This might be a good step for someone who isn't quite ready for La Fin.
Some grapefruit tastes, some appley (maybe cidery) tastes, a hint of clove? All very subtle flavors.
Nothing very striking... which maybe adds to drinkability... maybe not.
Easily worth a try; not my favorite Unibroue offering but that's nothing to sneeze at.

05-26-2005 02:43:00 | More by ommegangpbr
JackStraw22

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Hazy/muddy dark orange/amber body. Lots of off white head, with tons of little bubbles coming up from the bottom. I love watching them build up at the base of the head.

Smell: Huge yeasty nose. Earthy and herbal, the sweet malt makes it's way through too. Cheese, apples, good stuff.

Taste/Feel: First thing I noticed was that it was more bitter than I was expecting, balanced though. Tastes a lot like it smells. Can feel the alcohol down the throat, but can't taste it much at all. I little solventy for my taste Highly carbonated, a little too much maybe.

Drinkability: Personally, I love Belgians, but I can't drink a lot of them at once, but for a Belgian this is very drinkable.

05-20-2005 01:15:34 | More by JackStraw22
horndecker

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

It's a beauty. A huge rocky head over a cloudy rosy tobacco colored brew. Long lasting lace coats the glass.

Smells are oranges, a hint of cocoa powder, bananas and something spicey.

The taste starts with tart fruit and alcohol. A subdued round malt surfaces, along with big fruit again, raisins, tartness and then it gets a bit sweet. A bit overwhelming. It actually finishes a bit dry, with an herbal tea quality.

The beer has a pleasing creamy fizziness with a medium body. The alcohol numbs you up a bit. Very emphatic, not a multi-tasker.

I enjoyed this one, but there are other ales of the style I much prefer.

05-15-2005 00:07:45 | More by horndecker
asabreed

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

11.2 oz bottle from a 4-pack purchased today. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Lots of sticky white laze, and a thick head that disappears pretty slowly. I wish the color were a little darker, as it's a bit dark apricot colored, meaning more hazy orange than hazy amber and brown, which is how I like this style. Still nice though.

Smell: Candied fruit, citrus, acidity and tartness -- all of this is up front. Yeast of course is also up front. I say orange and lemon zest way too much in my reviews, but it's evident here so I have to say it again. Slight wine-like aroma of alcohol, which is pleasant for it's vinegar-like qualities that goes together with the malts and aromas of fruit.

Taste: Acidity and citrus up front as yeast slowly comes into play with the malts. A lot of interesting things going on, though I wish I could discern more in the mix. Aftertaste slowly goes into a yeasty and malty finish with slight hop-like bitterness. I just wish it was better balanced, as that's the thing that hurts it the most.

Mouthfeel: Possibly a little too high on the carbonation? I feel a bit of a tingle in my throat that's not unpleasant, but it just doesn't seem quite right after a swallow for some reason.

Drinkability: I was hoping I'd have a lot to say about this beer, but that's not the case. Maybe it needs some cellar time? I love the Trois Pistoles, and I was hoping this would be just as good, though I tried not to be biased about it. This is still a decent brew, but I was just expecting more, especially since I've not been close to even remotely dissatisfied with a Unibroue brew. I guess I will try the cellar, and maybe in a year I'll review one of these suckers again.

05-12-2005 00:56:06 | More by asabreed
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured out a dark amber/reddish-orange and the head was almost white with a tan shade to it. the head dissipated quickly into the beer, but after it did the foam looked white.

smell is, like others of this style, a fruity spice smell, maybe some apples with just a little citrus. i think i can smell the alcohol in this if thats even possible.

taste is great. some green apples in it that tastes just a little tart, but is still on the sweeter side i think.

mouthfeel is good with a medium to almost a full mouthfeel.

drinkability in my opinion was great, almost too drinkable. i havent savored the flavors too much, i just keep getting a sip after so much that i type. this was much more drinkable than i thought, but i would say to calm yourself down and enjoy this one!

05-06-2005 17:10:26 | More by acrawf6
BeerFink

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Freed from the bottle, this ale cascades into my official Maudite tulip a deep brown color, kicking up a bubbly white head. Lots of aroma to this one. Tropical fruits blend with crisp lemony citrous and waltz with bready malts, also some peppery spicy notes, with a touch of alcohol thrown in for good measure. The taste is damn complex - where to begin? Malts are big and form a bready, toasty backbone. Some semisweet caramel is present as well. Prickly lemon and bitter orange peel hops are strong but do not take control of your palate. Instead they fade into candy sugar and a spiciness that leads into the slight alcohol flavor. Also present is some banana and clove flavors, and a touch of yeastiness. Mouthfeel is very complex - creamy malts lay it down smooth, but the hops are very exciting to the tongue. Very nice and full. Drinkability is top notch, a devil of a brew. Maudite? Well I guess I am damned then.

05-03-2005 02:21:16 | More by BeerFink