Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

From the big corked 750ml. brown bottle pours a fairly dark orange-mahogany ale with 1/2 inch of cream colored floamy head. The carbonation keeps the head aloft and while it laces somewhat, the lace on the glass slips back into the head.

Sweet and spicy malt nose with that musty yeast blending well with the fruityness. Not as aromatic as I remember it from previous encounters. The alcohol becomes noticable as it warms.

Sweet ripe fruity intro, pear, plum, fig, that eventually turns to the spicy yeast that Unibroue does so well. The spicyness turn to the musty and bitter side, while the alcohol winds it down with a warming, dry finish. Tasty stuff !

Full bodied with plenty of alcohol, the mouthfeel is smooth and velvety with a tang fron the spicy yeast. Very drinkable, but sip and enjoy it.

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%

Sampled: 7.9.06

Appearance is a honey bourbon brown beneath a small head that leaves little lacing if any at all thorugh the drinking. Despite it’s claimed style, Strong Dark Ale, it’s certainly not dark in the sense of La Terrible or Chambly Noire but the rich golden brown color is really nice.

Nose is typical Unibroue, yeasty funkiness. But beyond that I couldn’t pick out too much by way of complexity or diversity. Failry weak and light.

Flavor also carries the ‘typical’ Unibroue funkiness to it. This, accompanied with fruity sweetness and a tigne of bitterness make it a nice drinker. But it really doesn’t stray far (or at all, really) from the Unibroue line of strong ales. But alone it is a nice beer. Sits light in the mouth for a darker beer and it’s medium carbonation is just right.

It’s a sipper, high in ABV and works well as it warms slowly.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Impressive cloudy orange/copper brown. 1/2 inch head subsides quickly to thin lacing. Low/medium viscosity.

Aroma: Cantaloupe, golden syrup, ginger and caramel. Familiar Unibroue sourdough/yeast finish. Some raisin notes.

Taste: Bready yeast front palate, which gives way to apricots, raisins, and a little booze in the back palate. Peaches, caramel, and mild brown sugar developments. Slight vegetal end and an almost buttery finish/aftertaste. An impressive brew.

Mouthfeel: Light, fuzzy, with cleansing malt finish - all Unibroue.

Drinkability: A really solid drinkable ale. A little flat in comparison to Trois Pistoles, but good nonetheless.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Another wonderful offering from Unibroue. This beer pours a medium reddish/brown color that appears cloudy when held up to the light. Pours a very big and quite carbonated looking white head that quickly dissappates to about 2/3 of an inch before totally dissappearing 10 minutes later, leaving no lacing behind. Aromas of malt, citrus, some other fruits, and some spice are all quite evident. The taste is of sweet malt mixed with some citrus and a hint of roasted nuts. Not bad at all. Has a bit of a nutty and dry aftertaste. It has a very smooth yet crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Pretty easy to drink as well.

Eric

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish-brown, with a fluffy beige head with good retention and patchy lace.

Smell: Yeasty, with an orange cream aroma. There's a tart cherry fruitiness, with hints of spice and alcohol.

Taste: Tart citric fruitiness; toasty, bready maltiness. The finish is yeast with light bitterness and a lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation, light-bodied, with a creamy texture.

Drinkability: Flavorful and very easy to drink, with well concealed alcohol.

Overall: A nice, easy to drink Belgian Strong Dark. The spiciness is less prominent than other beers of the style.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Maudite pours a nice muddy, chocolate color with little head. Still, it just kept bubbling and frothing like a volcano or series of lava flows. Smelled hearty and slightly sour, almost of pickles. Lots of chocolates and caramels in the taste with a pleasing, alcoholic warmth and hints of those sour, bitter smells coming through in the taste. Mouthfeel has a carbonated bite. This is an excellent beer through and through. Way to go Unibroue.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Presentation - 12. oz. bottle, served slightly chilled. La Maudite translates to "The damned". This should be fun.

Appearance - The beer pours a deep amber with lighter orange undertones. Joining this pretty color is the most beatiful head I have ever seen. My 23oz. chalice could scarcely contain this monstrous and fluffy white head. Bear in mind this was not an aggressive pour, and this head is the norm for this beer. Amazing just to look at it. The lacing remains throughout the beer.

Smell - The smell does not disappoint either. Candied malts and orange hits my nose initially, followed by clove, yeast, and some banana. I expected a darker smell based on the appearance. For my money, this is also one of the best smelling beers I have encountered.

Mouthfeel - The trademark Unibroue carbonation is present in this beer, which I find to be pleasing. The carbonation reminds me of champagne with its small and soft bubbles. That aside, the feel is a bit light and slightly astringent from the alcohol.

Taste - I have had many of the heavy hitters of the Belgian scene, and this is a beer that I keep coming back to. It is surprisingly playful and light for a strong dark Belgian. In fact, I might not even categorize it as one. The spice and clove leave an aftertaste that some have called unpleasant, but its all a matter of taste. I enjoy the aftertaste, and all of its subtleties as the beer melds from dry to slick and the tart, sweet, and spicy flavors wash over my mouth.

Drinkability - As drinkable as any 8% beer can be, although I wouldn't have more than one 750mL bottle in an evening. The alcohol is just one small part of the drinking experience here.

Overall - This is a top 2 or 3 beer from everything I have sampled thus far. This sticks out to me among the Unibroue lineup, which really says something about the beer. This is reasonably easy to find on the east coast, and I am very thankful for that. May I be damned to an eternity of drinking this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

i had very high hopes going in, and the look/smell did nothing to dissuade me. i found the mouthfeel to be surprisingly thin, and it left an unpleasant after-taste that i certainly was not expecting. i had this on my "must try" list, but it has moved to my "had it - won't buy again" list

next to la fin du monde on the shelf for the same price, i'm going for the end of the world every time

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a bottle into a tulip glass. I've had this a couple of months in the fridge.

Mammoth off-white pillowey head that rivals Duval in intensity and staying power. Lacing is not as good as I was expecting. Dark honey-amber color similar to maple syrup.

Distinctive Belgian yeast aroma. Some coriander, clove, allspice, but not overpowering. Sweet malts.

Delicious flavor. Similar to aroma, some hints of bubblegum, some alcoholic bitterness, fruity, sweet malt, very well balanced.

Smooth, not overly thick mouthfeel, especially given the high ABV. LIghtly carbonated. Warming on the way down.

Excellent brew from Unibroue. Very drinkable, and especially good with my dinner tonight, which is a spinach salad with grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, bleu cheese and Makoto Ginger dressing. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a deep dark fiery orange. An off white head was too much at first, and I'm sure it wasn't the pour.
Sugary sweet malt aroma. Clove aroma is abundant and nice. maybe a touch of a honey like smell as well.
A touch of an orange citrus shows in the flavor. Bananas and cloves are pleasant.
Lighter side of medium. Well carbonated, dry, and smooth.
This one was highly recomended to me, and I have to pass it on... A very good beer.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Medium brown and cloudy with a fluffy, light tan head (about an inch) that dissipated fairly quickly.

Slightly sweet smell and taste. Noticeable malty tones, as well.

Highly carbonated, so not a very smooth feel, but not unpleasant.

Very tasty and complex, so I will probably buy this one again.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

This was my first belgian ale. Not sure if it is really a "belgian strong dark ale". I feel it is more of a "dubbel", especially if you look at the color compared with Trois Pistoles or Terrible. Color is a medium to dark brown, some brown sugar in there, maybe? Very esthery and fruity in the smell and taste, for that matter. Goes down smoothly and is wickedly strong, and undetectable. Good head, nice lacing. An attractive belgian to be enjoyed over and over, just not too many in one session.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Maudite for review number 400. Special beer for the occasion.

Poured, into a chalice of course, a clear oaken / bourbon color with a tan head – nicely ringing the ol’ glass. Turns hazy brown as the swirling kicks in towards the end of the bottle. Any brew bottle conditioned brew is extra special for me, like this one.

Earthy aromas first appear, followed by candied fruit and apples. Sweetish quaff of Belgium yeasts and sugar cane. Nothing really stands out, but the taste is solid.

Fizzy mouth, tangy and sweet on the tongue. Very dry and crisp. No alcohol presence at all, it’s very well hidden. A quality brew, but not a knockout by any means. Nice sipping brew for cool or warm weather.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this last night at the Old Toad in Rochester. It was poured for me into a cool Maudite glass. This poured a gorgrous hazy as hell brown with a gigantic head that tapered as it grew because of the glass. The head did not go down for about 7 minutes which kinda pissed me off but gorgeous nonetheless! The aroma was huge on the malt and was incredibly fruity and yeasty. There was also a hint of caramel and clove. There was not much in terms of hoppage but thats allright as there was plenty of happy spice and yeast to keep it plenty interesting. Alcohol is simply not detectable, at 8%. There was also a yummy hint of banana. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated but not too much. The feel was slick and chewy. I could down a whole 4 pack of this with no problem. All of the Unibroue brews seem to share that quality. I am giving this the same score as Don De Dieu and Trois Pistoles because they are all so awesome, I am not finding a standout.

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

Dennis: I have always been amazed at the level of carbonation that Unibroue packs into their bottles without them exploding. Once opened the beer made a mad dash to escape it's bottle only to barely be captures in our glasses. 5 inches of foam later, we were ready to try this. The taste is typical Unibroue, with yeasty, sweet, spicy malts and insane (but enjoyable) carbonation. The taste is enjoyable, but I actually got a bit of alcohol bitter on the exhale...which personally I like. Of course at 8% it's no real surprise. If you like rich malts, and strong beer with some spices you'll be in heaven drinking a beer for the damned.
Jen: Of the Unibroue's that I have had, this seems to be more unique than the others. The scent is of mild spices and citrus fruits. With first swallow, I get a blend of coriander and clove. I also get a nice blend of malts and very mild hops. The ending has a nice alcohol presence, but nothing that is overwhelming. And, as usual, the nice little bubbles seem to dance across my tongue.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a copper color with a thin off-white head. Minimal lacing and the head did not last as long as I had expected (otherwise, this rates even higher). But now for the good part. Fruity aroma, most likely of grapes and plums. Very good taste, same fruits, mixed with a spicy flavor, possibly cinnamon. Great finish, as it left a long, pleasant taste and a warming sensation. This is a beer I think I can enjoy more in winter than on a summer day. No wonder it’s Canadian. Good work Unibroue!

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Highs: Appearance, smell
Lows: Weak flavor

Pours a beautiful mahogany color with minor suspended sediment and many very tiny bubbles (quite attractive). Head is two fingers of thick, creamy tan with good lacing and very good head retention. Great looking brew. Nose is strongly of the Unibroue signature “wine” yeast and dark fruit. Taste to me is more akin to a white ale than a strong dark. It’s very light, even understated, almost water-like, with an apple-grape flavor and a slight hint of alcohol toward the middle. Yeast dominates the flavor, and it finishes on a light note, perhaps from the alcohol. Not as bold as I was expecting. Mouth is watery but crisp, with plenty of tiny bubbles to delight the tongue. Drinkability is pretty good. This is a smooth, (gasp) light, and crisp brew, but at 8%, take it easy. Still, it’s an enjoyable beer though a bit on the light side for me.

Overall: This is a Belgian strong dark? Could have fooled me. It’s a beautiful, good smelling beer that’s a little undewhelming for me. Try it.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer pours an amber coppery color with a giant white foamy head leaving some nice lacing. A very good looking beer. The smell is fruity,citrus?, and very wine-like. You can also make out some candy sugar in there too. The taste has a dark fruit, burgandy, candy sugar flavor. For a high alcohol beer, there is almost no sign of the alcohol. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing OK, but this does have a slight metalic aftertaste. All in all, this is a very good beer. It may be alittle too fruity for me,but that's me. I would highly recommend it.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - this ale pours a dark brown cola color, with a thin white head, tons of carbonation is visible

S - a crisp refreshing aroma, like unsweetened iced tea, seasoned with spice, like either clove or coriander, in addition in the background is a fruity dark sweetness like baked apples sans the cinnamon

T - spicier than i thought it would be, like a saison , hoppy bitters underneath, the sweetness is apparently solely in the aroma save for a faint vanilla hint

M - too fizzy and spicy for my taste, but smooth otherwise and palatable

D - the lacking in mouthfeel lowers the drinkability for me, but others who enjoy it will love it, its high quality and tasty

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Clear and clean amber pour, on the thinnish side. Gorgeous blooming froth, and levitating, chaotic beads of carbonation.
This smells of new carbon paper, sweetish white wine, mandarin oranges... This is a really pretty sniff.
Delicate and floral flaves leap out of the glass into my enjoyment like a dolphin surfacing. It's sleek, light, full flavored; wet marigolds, red peppercorn bite. I really feel like I'm munching my way through a mediterranean garden: This is dry, light, minerally, flowery, spicy. A little bit of sweet melon with black pepper.
This is a really nice beer experience. Certainly broadens the menu. I love it! The yeasty backbone provides a papaya-like aura. The malts are truly a vehicle for the yeast here. This good girl not only prays at the church of fermentology, she also provides a wicked good time.

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Maudite is a hazy, dark amber-red color. Head is thick, off-white, and very tall. Retention is very good. The appearance of this beer is almost perfect. Aroma is sweet and spicy, most reminiscent of cinnamon. All in all, a nice smell, but one-sided. The start of a sip is a combination is sweet cinnamon and peppery spice. A candi sugar sweetness enters the picture about mid-sip and helps regulate the pepperiness. Some citrissy fruitiness is in the mix as well. Finish is very abrupt. Overall, I found this enjoyable, but the flavor was a bit thin. Considering how high this beer is rated, I'm a bit disappointed. Anyway, I'll probably sample this again to make sure I'm not missing anything.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

I have had this beer a couple of times before and I found it not as impressive as others from Unibroue and not a classic of the style. But, for reasons unkown, I found this latest bottle to be very nice. Figured it was time to write a review...

Poured a brownish/orange with a good sized light brown head that had decent lasting power. Light lacing. A lot of small carbonation can be seen rising.

Aroma of dark fruits and sweetness.

Taste was of dark fermented fruits, malts and some spices. The alcohol comes through with a light warming sensation. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel was quite smooth. Medium body with good cleansing. Quite nice.

Overall, a very nice beer. Very drinkable despite its 8% AV. A lot of character in a bottle. I guess I'll have another sometime soon.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

My first Unibroue! I'm just starting to get into Belgian beers and figured I'd better try one from what seems to be one of the best Belgian style breweries in North America.

A- Deep copper with lots of cascading bubbles and a decent off-white head.

S- Spicy aromas with cloves and pepper. Lemony tartness with some banana thrown in there along with a bit of a metallic smell. Tons of complexities here, most of which I can't even begin to point out.

T- Great flavor, very complex, so much so that a more sophisticated palate than mine is needed to break it down. Esters abound, giving me all kinds of interesting fruit and spice flavors. Key lime pie and banana are a couple that stand out to me. Anyway, it's great. Finishes dry with just a touch of bitterness.

M- Very nice, medium bodied, not too thick, carbonation is just right.

D- Considering this is 8%, it is very good. Not a quaffer by any means, but definitely drinkable. I'd have another.

Very nice beer, and good first impression with Unibroue. I definitely look forward to trying their other offerings. Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.
Pours orange/brown with a large white, creamy, bubbly head that slowly settles to a spotted thick lace.
The smell was of bready malt with a hint of various spices.
The taste was of spices, including a touch of pepper - the alcohol was covered by complex flavors - including, but not limited to, orange peel, coriander, a dash of pepper, and a touch of caramel on a bready base. The various flavors intermingle to give it a unique, delicious flavor.
The tastes thin out a bit in the mouth, leaving a dry, spicy, but yet refreshingly clean, feel. The alcohol is well-hidden until a warming feeling takes over afterwards.
This brew is devilishly drinkable - or is that the devil that is on the foreboding label saying, "Have more..." ... Gladly.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Dark red amber with big foamy white head that holds nicely. Color matches the bottle label well. Body is fairly clear and gives off a deep orange red glow where the light hits. Aroma and taste are rich with peppery spice, a bunch of different fruits...apple, lemon, orange, berries, and plums, to name a few, along with a hefty amount of breadiness holding things together, and slight vanilla overtones. Sweet, spicy and intoxicating. Very enjoyable. The plethora of flavors vary with every sip. Crisp carbonation, medium slick, foamy mouthfeel and nice prolonged semi-dry finish.

I need another.