Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

It pours a muddy brown-orange in my glass, very hazy. The bubbles were immediate and plentiful. The cream-colored head reduced in a moderate amount of time.

It smells of yeast and malt, with that characteristic Belgian Dark smell that I cannot otherwise identify. Very slightly floral smell, with a small amount of sweetness.

It feels medium-bodied and creamy. A lot of fizzy bubbles are generated in my mouth as I roll it around. There is a significant sweetness. Bitterness is low, but present particularly in the finish. The alcohol (8.0%) is hidden. There is a special tanginess, crisp and citrusy, which is the primary flavor characteristic, and there is no noticable hop character. The beer finishes with a lingering sweetness and bitterness.

This beer is very drinkable - the complex flavors are assertive but not overpowering, and the carbonation, though significant, does not interfere.

A tasty beer. I would prefer less sweetness, and a little less carbonation, but I love the yeast character and the bold flavor, and I appreciate the bottle-conditioning. Also, the label is great.

jamesclark, Jul 03, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +10%

750 ml, cork and cage bottle. Cage says 2004.
Revisiting (after the passage of too much time) one of the early "good" beers I had. I remember being intrigued and even a little scared by the label, but I loved the beer.

Pours into the tulip glass with a release of pent-up carbonation. Sparkling, amber-hued, copper-edged body with a fabulously rocky, tumultuous, creamy, off-white head. Head stays forever, and laces beautifully.

Nose is powdered sugar, caramelized candy, mixed with tropical fruit esters (some banana, a little candied peach, kiwi) and a heady dose of Unibroue yeast. Luckily, I really like their yeast.

Sugary, wheatish malt has a sweet, candied fruit flavor that isn't overpoweringly sweet. Rum-soaked banana-raisin pudding sounds close. Full-bodied chewy feel without being cloying or syrupy. Yeasty, peppery bitterness does enough balancing to make this damned beer very drinkable.

Still a favorite after all these years (5!).

alexgash, Jun 27, 2005

I shared a .750 bottle with my brother last night. Bad idea, I wish I would have kept it all for myself.
The beer poured out a murky orange/brown color with a 1" creamy head that had great retention.Decent lacing.
The aroma of this brew was Unibroue yeast, nice! There is some herb and spice in the nose also.
The beer has a wonderful complex flavor. Filled with spiciness as it warms and a little touch of fruitiness(raisin,fig,plum?). Also some herby flavor in the background. The yeasty, bready flavor is great. Very fine offering from Unibroue.
The beer has a creamy mouthfeel, the 8% alcohol is not readily apparent in the flavor. Maudite goes down very smooth and has good drinkability. The 8% might sneak up on you after a few. Highly recommended along with every other concoction I have tasted from this brewery.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Jun 25, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12 once bottle dated best before 5.31.2007. Today is June 21, 2005 so plenty of time left to enjoy this batch.

Pours a delicious ruby amber color into my tulip glass and forms a tall thick taupe head. The head rapidly transforms from tiny bubbles to much larger ones.

The smell is of roasted malt -- a slight hint of coffee with a bit of ripened fruit lurking the background.

A delicious Canadian attempt at a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. The brew hits on all the right notes and is true to form.

Quite delicious! I will add several to the cellar and be hard pressed not to grab one instead of something else.

Cheers!

TPSReports, Jun 22, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +4%

Yet another brew from fellow BA Chatter (and the last unique beer I have to review from the trade). This was probably my favorite all around from the 3 Unibroue brews I have yet tried. It is a bit lighter than the Trois Pistoles, but it is strong in areas where the TP tended to lack.

The appearance is an dark plum color with a thin head. This beer didn't for as perfect of a head as the other two Unibroue beers I collected from this trade, but it managed to stay through the duration of the glass. Looks beautiful in a tulip.

The smell is very fruity and berry-y. This beer seems to have an excellent smell whereas the Trois Pistoles was a bit lacking. Also, it doesn't seem to be quite as grainy, and has a bit more of a candi sugar aroma to it. Brilliant!

The taste is nothing short of brilliant as well. Has a definite candi sugar taste, though thoroughly malty sweet as well. Only has a tiny bit of a spicy hoppiness. The mouthfeel is slightly dry. It doesn't get much better than this. I wish I could get Unibroue products here in Iowa, because I've fallen in love tonight. As my parents are lovers of Sleeman for some reason, I'll have to save a bottle or two for them to enjoy the taste of a real beer.

neonbrown82, Jun 18, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Hazy dull orange brown with a long lasting large bubbled head. Smell consists of just-picked Granny Smith apples mixed in with a very strong yeasty smell, and some breadiness. Taste is immediately pleasantly sour. Apple skin taste is definitely there. The yeast makes an appearance to add some dimension and sharp spiciness as well, and the breadiness ties everything together. There is certainly some sugar in the back too. Definite warming, but the alcohol doesn't show up in the taste at all. Nice and creamy on the tongue - carbonation isn't overdone thankfully. Very nice. I will definitely be having another.

PatYoda, Jun 18, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Corked 750 with a best before 10/18/07 date marked on back label, poured into a chalice.

Hazy, burnt amber with a large and loud head that is light tan and shows great retention and stickage.

Smells of cloves, bananas, spices, sugars and peppery alcohol. Has a tartness to it.

Lots of fruit tempered by dry malts when first tasted. There's bread from the yeast and pepper from the alcohol. There's some sweet sugar notes that dance around with a citric tartness. Very complex and balanced.

The mouthfeel is almost creamy. Quite drinkable despite the abv. Highly recommended.

ypsifly, Jun 17, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Max's in Baltimore
Dark brown colored brew, with less carbonation than I remembe in the bottled versions, still has the nice ring and lacing

Sugary dark fruits and yeasty spice on the nose

The best tasting Unibrew beer this side of 2005. Malty dark fruits (currant and cherry) swim around with chocolate and coffee. Bready malts and Belgian candy sugar come through with some woody and hoppy bitterness near the end and when it warms.

Medium to heavy bodied, just the right amount of carbonation.
Drinkable, very so, but the ninja ABV will get you...

Dithyramb, Jun 15, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

This brew pours a cloudy amber while the head is a effervescent white which settles to a slight lace.
Smell: Very spicy with some subtle fruit aromas
The taste is quite complex. Starts with sweet fruit and quickly morphs into a spicy pepper like character coupled very faintly with a hop bite. Very crisp on the palate, but very drinkable. This ale seems to coat the tongue in a bath of prickly carbonation, which helps hide the alcohol. Tread lightly as this is quite a drinkable brew.

sinistermadman, Jun 05, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Body is a dark tan with a copper hue. The pour creates an off-white head that is minimal in size, though a Belgian lace does remain steady.

A light, yet complex fruity aroma. Some calm spicy notes as well.

Taste is much lighter than I expected but it is still good. This may be because I thought it was Belgian Strong Dark ale as this is how it is listed on BA. However, Unibroue describes it as a Belgian Red. Anyhow, the flavor consists of very light fruit and spice, particularly apple and coriander. A solid sweet, but light maltiness pulls through in this brew. Very subtle hop flavor.

A very smooth and satisfying mouthfeel.

I like this brew very much but I think Unibroue has better offerings.
I'd take La Terrible over this any day.

palma, May 31, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

eli's 5/26/05, unibroue wine-type glass.

iced tea in appearance, not too foamy but carbonated to the end of the earth and back. nutty brown dullness upon settling. not too impressive, i prefer the look of the golden unibroues.

smells sugary, underyeasted for a canadian-belgian. woody with dark fruits in the nose, slight fresh astringency. a crisp belgian-style aroma.

taste is malty and raisiny with a lingering dark fruit aftertaste. acidic mixes well with the biscuit nature. slight alcohol bite and even a slight hop resistance to the belgian candi sugar sweetness. fruitier, more port and wood as it warms. pairs nicely with spicy food and loses no flavor.

like most u brews, way too drinkable for something that will kick your ass if you keep it up. equally good in the bottle.

goodbyeohio, May 30, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Doesn't strike me as a dark ale. I think of it more as a darker pale ale.
Seems like a watered down La Fin du Monde.
This might be a good step for someone who isn't quite ready for La Fin.
Some grapefruit tastes, some appley (maybe cidery) tastes, a hint of clove? All very subtle flavors.
Nothing very striking... which maybe adds to drinkability... maybe not.
Easily worth a try; not my favorite Unibroue offering but that's nothing to sneeze at.

ommegangpbr, May 26, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Hazy/muddy dark orange/amber body. Lots of off white head, with tons of little bubbles coming up from the bottom. I love watching them build up at the base of the head.

Smell: Huge yeasty nose. Earthy and herbal, the sweet malt makes it's way through too. Cheese, apples, good stuff.

Taste/Feel: First thing I noticed was that it was more bitter than I was expecting, balanced though. Tastes a lot like it smells. Can feel the alcohol down the throat, but can't taste it much at all. I little solventy for my taste Highly carbonated, a little too much maybe.

Drinkability: Personally, I love Belgians, but I can't drink a lot of them at once, but for a Belgian this is very drinkable.

JackStraw22, May 20, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

It's a beauty. A huge rocky head over a cloudy rosy tobacco colored brew. Long lasting lace coats the glass.

Smells are oranges, a hint of cocoa powder, bananas and something spicey.

The taste starts with tart fruit and alcohol. A subdued round malt surfaces, along with big fruit again, raisins, tartness and then it gets a bit sweet. A bit overwhelming. It actually finishes a bit dry, with an herbal tea quality.

The beer has a pleasing creamy fizziness with a medium body. The alcohol numbs you up a bit. Very emphatic, not a multi-tasker.

I enjoyed this one, but there are other ales of the style I much prefer.

horndecker, May 15, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

11.2 oz bottle from a 4-pack purchased today. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Lots of sticky white laze, and a thick head that disappears pretty slowly. I wish the color were a little darker, as it's a bit dark apricot colored, meaning more hazy orange than hazy amber and brown, which is how I like this style. Still nice though.

Smell: Candied fruit, citrus, acidity and tartness -- all of this is up front. Yeast of course is also up front. I say orange and lemon zest way too much in my reviews, but it's evident here so I have to say it again. Slight wine-like aroma of alcohol, which is pleasant for it's vinegar-like qualities that goes together with the malts and aromas of fruit.

Taste: Acidity and citrus up front as yeast slowly comes into play with the malts. A lot of interesting things going on, though I wish I could discern more in the mix. Aftertaste slowly goes into a yeasty and malty finish with slight hop-like bitterness. I just wish it was better balanced, as that's the thing that hurts it the most.

Mouthfeel: Possibly a little too high on the carbonation? I feel a bit of a tingle in my throat that's not unpleasant, but it just doesn't seem quite right after a swallow for some reason.

Drinkability: I was hoping I'd have a lot to say about this beer, but that's not the case. Maybe it needs some cellar time? I love the Trois Pistoles, and I was hoping this would be just as good, though I tried not to be biased about it. This is still a decent brew, but I was just expecting more, especially since I've not been close to even remotely dissatisfied with a Unibroue brew. I guess I will try the cellar, and maybe in a year I'll review one of these suckers again.

asabreed, May 12, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured out a dark amber/reddish-orange and the head was almost white with a tan shade to it. the head dissipated quickly into the beer, but after it did the foam looked white.

smell is, like others of this style, a fruity spice smell, maybe some apples with just a little citrus. i think i can smell the alcohol in this if thats even possible.

taste is great. some green apples in it that tastes just a little tart, but is still on the sweeter side i think.

mouthfeel is good with a medium to almost a full mouthfeel.

drinkability in my opinion was great, almost too drinkable. i havent savored the flavors too much, i just keep getting a sip after so much that i type. this was much more drinkable than i thought, but i would say to calm yourself down and enjoy this one!

acrawf6, May 06, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Freed from the bottle, this ale cascades into my official Maudite tulip a deep brown color, kicking up a bubbly white head. Lots of aroma to this one. Tropical fruits blend with crisp lemony citrous and waltz with bready malts, also some peppery spicy notes, with a touch of alcohol thrown in for good measure. The taste is damn complex - where to begin? Malts are big and form a bready, toasty backbone. Some semisweet caramel is present as well. Prickly lemon and bitter orange peel hops are strong but do not take control of your palate. Instead they fade into candy sugar and a spiciness that leads into the slight alcohol flavor. Also present is some banana and clove flavors, and a touch of yeastiness. Mouthfeel is very complex - creamy malts lay it down smooth, but the hops are very exciting to the tongue. Very nice and full. Drinkability is top notch, a devil of a brew. Maudite? Well I guess I am damned then.

BeerFink, May 03, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

12/20/2004:
Absolutely unprecedented head. I poured it from a 12 oz. bottle in a tulip glass and the head just seemed to explode out of the bottle. The pour may have been a bit on the vigourous side, but not too much faster than I usually pour a beer. Nice aroma. Plenty of apples and pears and cirtus scents. The taste was very fruity as well. Leaning more towards the taste of apples. There was definitely a presence of alcohol which could not be missed. While not too rough on the palate, the alcohol taste took away from the drinkability. I don't know if it was me or if it was the beer, but I found it difficult to finish.

This was the 2nd Unibroue beer I have tried, Trois Pistoles was the first. I found many similarities but though the first of two was easier to drink. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the Maudite, and it's something I want to try again for a second opinion.

Re-review [4/24/05]:
Finally getting another shot at the Maudite as a result of bringing this back from Quebec with me in a mixed 12-pack. I have increased my previous ratings for smell and taste upon trying it again. The fruits really stand out and the aroma is more than pleasant. Taste was much better as well. The mouthfeel is the same as a result of the high ABV leaving my mouth a little dry. The presence of alcohol also keeps the drinkability down. Towards the end of the beer you realize that it gets increasingly difficult to finish, but is still enjoyable. A much better experience this time around and a fine brew indeed.

Jacobob10, Apr 24, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Nice little pour. Orange and gold, the color of maple syrup. Big head that turns quickly in a short layer of foam, like any good Beligan (even a Canadian one).

The scent is very light and crisp. Sweet malt predominates along with a lot of yeast and hints of allspice.

Tastes great! Yeast and malt sweetness upfront rushing quickly into a splash of juicy fruit--pear and apricot--and a very spicy finish. I can't place exactly what kind of spice this is, but it's wonderful.

Nice body, goes down smooth. A fine brew that everyone should try.

mynie, Apr 23, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz. sample. Poured into my sweet, brand-new St. Bernardus goblet, it is a deep amber brew, obscurred by swirling yeast storms. It has the appearance of cloudy cider topped by a mighty, but shortlived head of wheat colored foam that leaves little blobs of clinging lace.

The aroma is pleasantly sweet, filled with layers of malt and tell-tale Unibroue yeast and spice. Perhaps a notch or two below my other favorite Uni's in terms of it's nose.

It starts of with a big, malty sweetness balanced with loads of yeasty, spice goodness. It displays notions of apple, pear, and faint banana. It finishes on the dry side, with just a touch of spicy hop tingle.

Mouthfeel is rather full, with a lush and creamy texture. Soft carbonation adds to the velvety mouthfeel. A good and classic beer from out friends to the North.

AlexJ, Apr 17, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Maudite, one of the crown jewels of flagship Quebec micro Unibroue, is a beer fit for a king. From its look, to its nose, to its taste, this one truly delights the senses. As one of the most widely-available of the Unibroue line, it is an excellent choice for introducing someone to better beer.

APPEARANCE: Deep, firey red. Almost completely opaque, with the occasional visible swirl of bubbles and yeast. Thick, white head that is unfortunately somewhat short-lived, but leaves behind an intricate lattice of lacing.

SMELL: Citrus and spice, my friend. Citrus and spice. And yeast.

TASTE: Sweet, at first. You'll almost immediately notice the twin assault of malty, yeasty characteristics, with strong notes of spice, but after it's had a chance to warm a bit and settle on your palate, the esters, and faint hints of citrus and apple, begin to emerge. Definitely a brew to keep on your tongue for a good spell, to fully appreciate its flavourful complexities.

MOUTHFEEL: Smooth, and thick, with some carbonation, and a distinct warming quality. This is a very full-bodied brew, and, as such, quite unsuited for pounding. This is a sipper.

DRINKABILITY: At 8% alcohol, definitely *not* a session beer, but after your first sip, you'll immediately want another. This one is quite versatile, though, equally at home in a pleasant, low-key conversational atmosphere, served at the dinner table with a hearty meal (game comes to mind), or simply chilling out with the evening news.

OVERALL: Mein Gott! This is one impressive brew! If you happen upon it, be sure to pick it up, lest you regret it forever.

A final note: If you live near the Quebec border, you may be able to find it in reasonably-priced cases of 12 at the duty-free shop.

Omniscia, Apr 16, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - Quite hazy, deep amber with tan head. Looks like a fire storm of carbonation going on. Looks like it could be infected or spoiled.

Smell - Malty smell. No hops, but no sign of spoilage.

Taste - Phenolic flavor; spicy. Slightly chocolatey, and caramely. At the foretaste the beer is sort of bready in flavor. Estery. Some alcohol taste is in there, too. The lees from the bottom of the bottle give the beer a yeasty flavor.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Good strong body, which seems right for a strong dark ale.

Drinkability - Very fizzy, which actually helps to temper the flavors in the beer. This is relatively easy to drink in spite of pretty big flavors and alcohol.

Comments - I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this seems to be a well-crafted beer. I'm not super crazy about the flavor either, but I think it is true to style.

mgdeth, Apr 15, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark hazy reddish-brown, with a massive off-white head which dissipated quite quickly.
The nose is outstanding. I was assaulted by sweet malt and fruit esters - sweet apple, a touch of citrus - and caramel. It reminds me of caramel apples. Mmm. Alcohol is present, but not pervasive, in the aroma.
The flavour is sweet and fruity up front. Apples and caramel are again quite prevalent. Further along, there is a pleasant earthiness, with hints of spice on the back end. The high alcohol definitely comes through in the flavour, and leads into a dry finish.
Maudite is quite nice on the palate - not too heavy, and with a lot of active carbonation keeping it sparkling and flavourful.
Overall, this is rather enjoyable beer. It's not Unibroue's best, but it's an above-average beer nonetheless.
It's also very nice paired with blue cheese.

thesilverhand, Apr 07, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Foggy, orange-brown, semi-dark, clumps of small bubbles, frothy one finger head didn't stay long, lace didnt stay very long either.

I picked up scents of yeast, spices, lemon and some other fruits.

Tasted like alchohol and apples with some spices, was not bitter at all, seems to have a tiny similarity to some hefeweizens I have had.

The mouthfeel wasn't bad but for some reason kind of reminded me of soup.

I am not trying to pretend like I know what I am doing, this is my first review. 12oz bottle for 1.99 from Pavillion's in Santa Monica. I ate some extra aged gouda with it.

nicechalice, Apr 07, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Few words are how to appropriately describe this beer. Had it on tap at the Moan and Dove in Amherst. Great bar, bar tender was very knowledgeable and was generously hading out sample of the on-tap beers.

Poured chocolatey/hazel/nutella; very think head in a tulip glass.

Smell hard to describe, walnuts, oranges, cherries, loaded with complexity. Tasted as it smelled, kept its temperature nicely, wonderful aromas throughout its life.

I was completely blown away by this beer. It was like nothing I had every tasted before. After five of these monsters I guess that's a good indication about the drinkabilty of this OUTSTANDING beer.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Apr 06, 2005