Maudite - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev +5%

Picked up on a whim at the local Fred Meyers when I was unable to find my Trois Pistoles. Man am I glad I grabbed this!

Pours a honey-amber color, crystal clear. Absolutely monstrous head on the pour. I managed to get about an ounce of beer and about 15oz of foam my first try. Foam is off-white, a mix of large and small bubbles. Very sticky, excellent lacing, reluctant to fade. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell is of golden raisins, peaches, honey, and a hint of cloves. Oh man is this going to be good.

Taste is of honey, golden raisins, and a hint of rum, oranges, and clove. Amazingly blended, and unearthly smooth. Carbonation is plentiful, making this feel like silky cream as you swallow. The alcohol shows up at the very end, warming the throat. This is fantastic stuff!

Now if only it came in bottles smaller than 750ml! As amazing and smooth as it is, the alcohol really gets you. One bottle is an evening for me, but man what an evening.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a brown bottle with a flying canoe on the label.

A: Cloudy cinnamon. Poured with about a finger of fluffy head. Good lacing.

S: Candied cherries. Yeast. Some smoke. A hint of alcohol. Somethings bringing to mind an herbal presence that I can't quite put my finger on. As it progresses the smoke seems to become more noticeable. Develops more of a dry brown sugar aspect.

T: Wow that's nice. Candied fruits. Cherry. Pears in syrup. Hints of citrus. Rasins. Progresses to smoked hickory. Earthy. Some salt. Finishes with some pepper on the sides of the tongue and has some fleeting glimpses at sour touches. Aftertaste is mildly spicy and lingers without being overpowering.

M: Big bodied. Coating and creamy. Very smooth indeed. Hardly notice the carbonation. Ends with some dry touches, but not dry.

Overall: Not sure I can say enough on this one. I really enjoyed this beer. Just about everything I've had from Unibroue seems to be outstanding. The smell and flavor really harmonize in this beer. I think it's that synergy that make this stand out.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours out pale gold and sits a murkey sienna in the glass with a massive foamy off-white head. Fades slowly to a thick skim with lacings coating every inch of the glass.

Smells of dusty raisins, prunes and pears. Caramel-infused malts carry musty yeast overtones and all is backed by light, clovery hops.

Tastes delicately fruity, pushing out apples, pears, dates and raisins. Malts dominate with some doughish yeast flavors. Finish brings in mild-moderate bitterness with mild grassy tones.

Crisp in the mouth with ultra-fine, moderate carbonation. Medium bodied and oh so easy to handle.

Fine and delicous drinking with lots of character. Definately improves with warmth and sitting time to let the carbonation settle out a bit.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- orangish brown- almost looks like a brown sunset. Lots and lots of foam. Very frothy-
Smell- yes this was probably my favorite part of this beer. There was a smoking oat and sweet smell, with not a hint of alcohol.
Taste- Decent taste, was not a huge fan on the first sip, but after 3-4 I gained an appreciation. My only complaint here is that there is a bit of a wheaty taste that hangs a bit long.
Mouthfeel- one of the lighter feeling Belgian beers I've tasted, with a bit more froth
Drinkability- goes down smooth

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

I've always liked this label, with the birchbark canoe of fur trappers paddling like heck for the flames....cool stuff. At any rate, this Belgian dark pours medium dark and opaque into my goblet with mediocre white head. Yeast blasts hard from the nose and is accompanied mostly by alcohol. Also some fruity and spicy notes but less imaginative than I was hoping.
Fruity, refreshing taste that rides the carbonation well and finishes with a malty, alcohol laced finish. Mouthfeel suffers from overcarbonation but holds up well otherwise. I need to change the temp on my fridge because this brew is definitely too cold and hurts for it.
This is another solid soldier from Unibroue although I found the flavor less interesting than some of their other selections. Still, you could do a lot worse..

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Nice, big, frothy head. Looks good in the wide-mouth chalice. Great lacing and the heads lasts a long time. Like most strong dark ales there is a lot of yeast and dark fruit. There is too much carbonation for my taste, with respect to others straon g dark ales: Abbaye des Rocs Gran Cru, for example. Still a nice beer, though.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

This beer pours out a very dark orange, almost brown. The head is a tall off-white frothy layer that makes you pour the beer a few times before you can get the whole thing into the glass. Retention and lacing are both excellent.
The aroma is yeasty with a bit of spice and a strong dark fruit characteristic.
The flavor is a fine balance of dark fruit yeast and a slight amount of hops. There is also a slight alcohol warming, though it is hidden well.
The mouth feel is generously carbonated and medium in body.

This one is definitely worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

I am drinking this on tap (first ever Unibroue on draught!) at Frisco Burritos in Columbia, MD. The ale is cold.

Appearance: More ruby red than brown, the ale pours with a nice head of 2 fingers' length. The head dissapates but leaves a nice ring around the mouth of the cup.

Smell: The ale has a strong yeasty smell to it. Under that, I pick up some spices, maybe a bit of fruit even.

Taste: The ale has a deep dark taste to it. There is an undercurrent of fruits, maybe some dates or plums. The alcohol is not noticeable.

Mouthfeel: The ale poured with a surprising vigor. The bubbles are a little caustic on the tongue, but the spices and sugars in the ale smooth that out.

Drinkability: Another winner from Unibroue, this ale is very drinkable. The alcohol slowly warms without overpowering the taste of the ale. This ale is must-have on-tap, as the aroma and flavor are enhanced.

Previous Reviews:
22-Jan-06, Bottle, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 4.5, 4.05

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

A near perfect pour. Nice firm look to the cream colored head. Body is fire mixed with caramel. It looks slightly cloudy, with tiny yeast pockets. Very cool. Nose is sweet, like smelling dried fruits. Taste is awash in spice mingled with fruit. Finish is bready. I could gladly have a couple of these but if La Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles were around, I'd opt for those instead.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Deep orange color with 1 finger foam on top.

Smells yeasty, tastes malty and fruity and yeasty. Unibroue must use a similar yeast for this, Trois Pistoles, and Fin du Monde. They all have awesome flavor.

I've been addicted to this taste ever since I first tried it a couple years ago. It's my high-alcohol session beer.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Another find devil's brew. Poured a foggy and hazy light brown with shades of red and copper. The head was rather light and fizzy and settled into a light foam across the top of my pint glass.

The aroma is sweet and slighty malty with the yeast coming through strong.. Slightless bit of spice lingers in the nose. The taste is like warm cider and cinnamon. There is a little bitter and acidic twinge there but overall it is very drinkable and quiet nice.

Another find job from the mates at Unibroue

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a bottle from a sample pack into a pint glass (oops).

Head was large, say 3+cm, despite not a particularly agressive poured. Color was very brown, sort of muted as opposed to shiny. It didn't lace particularly, but these things don't bother me. In one word: brown.

Smelled like caramel, but otherwise mildly sweet, fruity and yeasty. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Tasted a lot better. Very fine balance between fruit, malt, yeast, and hops. I was expecting either a dry or a sweet finish, but it was very neutral. Booze was very well hidden too.

Not as creamy as some, a little too bubbly, but it general it felt fine.

I would think this is more "drinkable" than other strong dark ales because it is so neutral. Obviously it's a bit....pricey...heavy....dark...to swill on a regular basis, but it wouldn't be an impossible task to throw back 4 in a night.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice...First thing I notice immediately is the smell. It just comes wafting out of the bottle. I take a whiff of it just to get the senses going. I poured into my glass and it poured just a beautiful dark color with a nice cream head. The deep color was really opaque with light no really coming through at all.
I was amazed at how easy the first sip was to drink. You get the hints of sweet and peppery. It has a beautiful feel in the mouth. I really enjoyed just having it in there. It had a good coverage as well. You really don't taste the alcohol all that much in this brew, it really smooths and fades nicely towards the end. I could drink it everyday

12oz. bottle

Pours a medium amber color with a fluffy white head that maintains. Spotty lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very bready with a deep dark fruitiness blended in. There is also a distinct peppery aroma.

Taste is sweet with a malty and bready flavor upfront along with a rich dark fruitiness. There is a slight spicy peppery taste before it finishes sweet and bready.

Body is rich and creamy.

This is a formidable Belgian dark ale and quite dangerously easy to drink.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

I love this brewery's labels.

Pours cloudy mahogany with a tall, fine palomino head.

Toasty, cedary spicy alcohol nose

The palate is deep and rich- brown sugar, sherry, woodsy and toffee notes with a nutty creaminess that presents itself in the finish.

The carbonation is just a bit coarse, but not bad. This is a rich, satisfying beer, but the alcohol and carbonation make it just a tad rough around the edges.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - pours a cloudy brownish color with amber highlights. The color isn't too appealing to me, but the head is huge and has great retention and I always like that. In short- Outstanding head, displeasing color.

Smells- Hard cider, light malts, and alcohol esters.

Tastes- Apples, a hint of caramel, sugary fruityness, and definitely fruity alcohol.

The mouthfeel I think is perfect for the style. Much better in that respect than other belgian strong ales I've had recently.

Drinkability is average for me. For some people this could be quaffed a lot easier though I'm sure. For me it's more a sipper.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

This beer poured a copper color witha slightly off white head that holds and laces nicely. It smells of belgian yeast and subtle dark berry fruits. The taste is mainly fruity (plums and raisins) with a nice yeast flavor balanced wiht some bitterness so as not to be too sweet. It is nicely thick but a little over carbonated. Overall, a good belgian that I would drink again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

341ml bottle poured in a pint glass. From Collection 2006 a variety 12 pack from Unibroue.

Hazy, red-amber in colour. Huge beige head fills the top 1/4 of the glass. When I opened this bottle it actually foamed all over the place like a champagne bottle. Big gobs of sticky lace.

The first thing I notice in the aroma is the trademark Unibroue yeast characteristic. It's pleasant, but all the beers have this "sameness" to them that makes it a little ho-hum. Sweetness, dried fruit and cake... like a fruitcake or christmas cake background to the yeast.

Flavour is a little hard to pin down. There's alot going on at the same time and the complexities, I find, make it hard to define. Sweet malt at the start and a hint of alcohol. Background spices, yeast and dried fruit tease you. During the carbonation rush, the alcohol becomes more evident. Then the alcohol fades with the carbonation and reveals a spicy and yeasty dry finish. Lingering aftertaste is peppery with a bit of an alcohol bite.

Nice and mellow and smooth mouthfeel with little pin pricks of carbonation until the aftertaste. The aftertaste is a bit harsh with the pepper/alcohol combo.

Like most of the Unibroue products I've had, this is a sipping brew. There really isn't anything to make me want to have another sip right away, but when you do take one, it is very nice. Yes, it is good, but no, it's not really my style.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer was an amber color with a thick white head that dissipated quickly. It had a fruity sweet odor, almost candy-like. A nice fruity/spicy taste, with some warmth in the aftertaste. It was a little too fizzy for me, but still a very smooth and drinkable beer

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Slightly cloudy amber color with a huge ivory head that slowly settles down to just a moderate layer, leaving nice lacing all the way.

The aroma is light, slightly fruity, toffee, vanilla and cloves.

The taste is complex, apples, apricots, a bit of citrus, very light caramel, cloves, fresh bread, raisins, alcohol. Very light sweetness with a definite alcohol warmth and a fruity, slightly metallic finish.

Smooth, medium/full bodied, very easy to drink. Nice Canadian version of a Belgian style.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep garnet with a thick, frothy, cream-colored head. Very active carbonation in the glass. Smells of granny smith apples and clove spice, almost like liquid apple pie. Flavors are very layered and at times hard to decipher through it all, but what I do pick out are flavors of apples, pears, cloves, yeast, and something that makes me think of grape flavored "Mike & Ike" candies in the finish. Mouthfeel is very light on the tongue and very "airy." A fantastic Unibroue offering, as always.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer pours out a hazy reddish orange, and has a magnificent head that stays around for minutes and leaves lacing down the side of the glass.. Has a very clean taste. The beer is very strong, but the alcohol is subtle. It's stramge to consider, but this beer (with it's 8% ABV) is more drinkable than any light beer that I've had. This seems to be a great, relaxing beer, one that would go down smoothly after a day of hard work. Unibroue is a truly great brewery, in my opinion the best non-European brewery. Everything that I've thried of theirs has been excellent. If you find this (or any of their beers), make sure to try them. You'll fall in love.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my very favorite non-Belgian Belgians. Murked copper caked in rich vanilla foam and chocolate sprinkles. Super spicy nose. Extremely complicated and well candied. Loaded with lemon, pepper, alcohol, toast, mint, chocolate, and plum candies. Tastes yeasty with very Belgianish malts. Carbonation is off the spectrum making this one loads of fun to drink. Acidic yet fluffy. That’s an accomplishment. Finish is yeasty, drying, and peppery.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%

Think head creamy. Amber/orange, cloudy/hazy, almost like a wheat.

First thought was, smells like wild flowers. Has a clean crisp smell, almost like a mountain stream. A very different thing for me to find in a beer.

Flavor is so very complex. Clean, crisp. A sweet and spicy flavor, kind of like citrus and pears. Very interesting.

A nice feel. One to take time with and enjoy.

Maudite from Unibroue