Join our email list →

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,886 | Hads: 4,395
2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange with some copper leanings. Head is fluffy with tight carbonation and dirty-white. Drops to a thin collar in short order.

Smell: Oh Unibroue yeast. You are ridiculous. Loaded with clove pineapple candy and banana extract. Some ripe fruitiness with a grainier fruit undertone. Something like pear or even apricot. Dusting of citrus. Cornbread with a touch of caramel malts. Lightly bready.

Taste: More of the yeast that's on the nose. So much clove and banana candy. Faint citrus hop note. Malts are bready and mildly sweet. Again, I'm reminded of cornbread, if you soaked it in a weird almost Belgian yeast strain. So much clove and weird banana candy. Flavor shows up and disappears in short order. Almost no aftertaste. Some minor clove.

Mouthfeel: Not thin, but not much better Heavy water. Carbonation is on the high side and spreads the flavor around quickly. Clean.

Overall: This was one of the first beers I had after turning 21. Even then it was more surprising than it was delicious. This makes it memorable, but not because I want to drink it again.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pale copper color, with great head, but little lacing. Not much of a scent to speak of, maybe a bit of sweetness, but that's it. Same for the taste, for the most part it's bland. Not bad, but nothing great to speak of. It has a bit too much carbonation/bite for such a strong ale. Not Unibroue's best.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer poured a large white head with small sized bubbles. The body was cloudy and the hue was light brown.I could definitely taste the alcohol with this beer.About all I have to say about this beer is that it was just okay.I was not extremely impressed by the taste.

Best by date 06-01-2012

A: Pours a reddish-brownish-orangish color. I was expecting more of an amber hue, but it had much more brown than I was anticipating.

S: A big wave of alcohol esters, some brown sugar, toffee and Belgian yeast aromatics.

T: Again, a piercing alcohol burn, Belgian spice, dark fruits.

M: Average for a BSDA

D: This is probably the worst offering I have had from Unibroue, a brewery that I usually love. It's not terrible, I just feel like it might not translate well to my palate.

750 ml corked bottle.

Not overly impressed at all. Bier is lacking in carbonation. I had to force a good head by extreme pouring and then it disappeard very quickly.

Likewise, the taste is bland and uninspiring. A little fruit and alcohol. That's it!

Perhaps this bier is too fresh and requires a lenghthy stay in a cellar, and if that is the case, they shouldn't have sold it.

By the way, I purchased two bottles of this recently at different times and both were 'the same'. It is possible that a bad batch has been released. I will take note to give this another shot in a few months as I general enjoy this style very much and other Unibroue products I've had are great.

John

Poured from 12 oz bottle with freshness date of 05/05/08.

An extremely large, light head formed immediately, causing a two stage pour. This two stage pour may have arisen yeast from the bottom of the bottle. The head was reduced to 1/4 inch and lasted for quite awhile. Bronze in color and completely murky. Nice, tiny bubbles are present which indicates a light, fluffiness in the beer.

Mostly yeast in the aroma, possibly due to the pour. Slight fruit in the smell. Smelled alot like a hefe.

Again, mostly yeast in the taste. Alcohol is noticeable as well, but is not overpowering. Fairly malty with a slight hop bite. Quite pleasant tasting. Light and refreshing.

Bubbly mouthfeel reminiscent of a summertime brew. Nice drinkability.

I gave all 3s on this because I wasnt sure if yeast is a common characteristic with this particular beer or style. Due to an inefficient or aggresive pour maybe,? I gave average ranks. I will reevaluate this beer at a later date; hopefully with a more effective and efficient pour. Nice beer overall though.

3.01/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours a medium brown with goldish accents into my tulip; A thick, tan head froths up the way it should and slowly settles down to a thin but complete covering that leaves no lacing.

Lots and lots of alcohol in the nose. Smells acidic and yeasty, but mostly alcoholic - rum, gin, whiskey combined. This makes me a bit leary of my first sip, which I find to be...

Hmm... kind of like apple cider that's taken a turn. The flavor is a bit better than the nose; It has some definite crabapple notes, some spice and caramel, but the alcohol is a big hitter here, too. It's not exactly being disguised.

Mouthfeel is thin despite the head, very little carbonation; There's a quick, tight sensation as you swallow, then almost no aftertaste or lingering sensations except an astringent alcohol burn.

Unfortunately, this beer just didn't do it for me. I found it to be unpleasantly harsh.

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

Note: New reviewer here, take this with a grain of salt.
Poured 12 oz bottle into tulip.

A- Hazy copper with quickly diminishing 2 finger head
S- Smells sweet and floral faint syrupy smell.
T- Some caramel, a little overpowered by the carbonation
M- A little heavy on the carbonation, goes down smooth
D- Very drinkable. Despite the carbonation it goes down very smooth.
O- I was excited for this beer, I may have set my hopes too high. The taste didn't really come off as strong as I had hoped. The aroma and pour were going well but the carbonation took over and washed out the flavor.

3.06/5  rDev -26.6%

A: Dark amber color. Nice head.

S: A bit musty on the nose.

T: A bit heavier than I expected. I'm definitely tasting the heat/alcohol.

M: Nice carbonation and weight in the mouth.

D: Not very sessionable. I was expecting this to be very drinkable, so I was a bit disappointed.

3.07/5  rDev -26.4%

Brown-orange color that poured with absolutely no head at all. The aroma is spiced vanilla with quite a bit of yeast. The taste is spicy vanilla and citrusy then turning pretty sour and peppery at the end. There's some noticeable alcohol as well. Not a bad beer.

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours out a dark amber and honey color, solid deft head on it. Aroma was kinda big on the alcohol.

Taste from the same region, whoooof, alcohol all up in this. Hopping almost non existant. This was an exercise in drinking a style I'm not down with.

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

A- 750ml corked and caged bottle with a best before date of 2/27/09. Pours a hazy tea like brown with a champagne like 3 finger head, OK longevity and good lace.

S- Fruity, mostly tart apple. Some sherry like aromas as well. Somewhat yeasty and spicy,

T- Fruity with fair amount of spicyness (clove). Subtle sherry flavors. Tart. Seems a bit watery to me.

M- high carbonation. Leaves a funny tartness/bitterness in the aftertaste.

D-Just Ok. It seems a bit watery and too tart for a beer of this type.

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%

I'm a huge fan of this brewery. And I tried this one a few times to make sure I was right in my critique.

That being said, this beer has far too much carbonation. So much so that it almost overpowers that Belgian funk.
Almost...not entirely. This beer has some funk to it, some complexity, but all of that is overpowered or minimized by the ridiculous amount of carbonation. I feel like I'm eating pop-rocks when I drink this beer.
First beer I didn;t like from this brewery. I won't call it a bad beer, because it isn;t, but it certainly seems to be the black sheep of this brewery.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

Maudite comes in a cool bottle!!

-Maudite pours a hazy/cloudy orange with a thick head.
-Smell is wheaty!? A hint of floral, spice, and fruit?!
-Taste is a smooth Belgium Ale flavor with some spices and an undefinable fruity flavor.

-Mouthfeel is very smooth actually pleasant. goes down easy no bitterness or lousy aftertaste.

Overall, it's a bland beer.

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

I was very dissapointed by this beer. Especially since I doubt it is very easy to find on tap and was stoked to see it at the Old Toad.

Poured a cloudy brownish orange with a fairly decent tan head that laced here and there. Smell was very indistinct with a grainy, nose full of barnyard smells such as dried grass or hay. Taste was a tad fruity with perhaps some dried apple or fig, and more of that spent grain taste. Alcohol was not very apparent at any point. Mouthfeel was decent but nothing to write home about. This beer seems a bit phoned-in compared to the other things I have had from Unibroue. What a pity.

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

A poured an orange amber color with a thin tan head. The head quickly dissipates to leave only traces around the outer edges of the glass.

S aromas of clove, allspice, and some subtle banana esters...fruity plum and fig undertones

T initially clove then slight warming alcohol with a muted banana aftertaste

M high carbonation that seems to spread the flavors over the entire tongue ending with a sweet malty stickiness. Lingers mid-palate before finally disolving at the back of the tongue.

Overall a good beer, true to style and satisfying on a cold winter night by the fire

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured into a red wine glass (closest thing I had to proper tulip). Nice light amber color. Good carbonation. Strong head formation that dissolved to a uniform quarter-inch head.

Nothing spectacular on the nose but for the typical Belgian "funk" which was fine but I could distinguish nothing else.

First sip went down and left a metallic/alkaline twinge on the back of my palate which I attribute to the high alcohol content. This disappeared almost completely on subsequent sips and, except for a slight cough-syrupy twang, the alcohol (8%) remained well hidden throughout. Body and carbonation make for a good mouthfeel as well.

Overall, a keeper, I just expected some more hop character to poke through but, then again, perhaps Belgian Darks aren't where we go for hop nirvana?

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

I know I have had this beer before… I am just not sure where or when. But I love the label. I was actually surprised to learn that the beer was first brewed in 2007. I figured, looking at the label, this was an old beer that has been bottled for years. I was also glad they explained the meaning behind the name. I had no idea what Maudite means… but the meaning and the story behind the name of the beer is fun! I hope I am OK drinking this. Excited to see what the Maudite tastes like. By the way… I love the foil wrap around the bottle cap. Makes it just feel more expensive! (This bottle was only $2.99.) Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I was expecting this beer to be darker in the glass. Of course, looking at the style, it should be a thick, dark brown. Almost like a barleywine. And it has a barleywine appearance in the glass. It seems thick, and has a weak lace. The ABV is pretty high, but if I had to guess, I would have expected it to be higher.

Nose: I am not smelling anything. The tasting notes said "expect a full nose"… unless by full they mean completely empty! I am shocked that this beer has such a weak aroma. On a second sniff I picked up a slight sweetness toward the end… but that's it. It's cold, but that shouldn't affect the aroma that much.

Flavor: There we go. That's what I'm talking about. Now THAT is a good Belgian strong dark ale. Like I said, we are drinking this cold. But I have enough from my first drink to speak to this beer from here on out. I want this to warm up a little. It's too cold! But the flavor is incredible, and very complex starting with a hint of hops ending with a silky smoothness leading to a sweet aftertaste. There are tons of flavors going on here. I always wonder how they can pack so many flavors into a single bottle of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring. But that's OK. I don't want there to be a lot going on here. I want it to coat my throat and leave with a lasting aftertaste. That is exactly what this beer does. It isn't carbonated at all, and almost tastes flat. But then the flavors really kick in just when you think the beer is worthless. The back half of the palate gets the most of the flavor.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It is somewhat dry, with a subtle sweetness to it. Exactly what I expected from a Belgian dark strong ale. The beer manager at Total Wine & More likes Belgian beers. Drinking something like this, I can see why!

Unibroue makes a ton of beers, and this is one of their most popular. For being the second beer they released, I am impressed. It's $3 a bottle, so I might not buy this often. But I am pretty impressed with it. The older I get, the more I can appreciate a good Belgian beer. This is a good Belgian beer. Bottoms up, people!

Maudite - The bottle says: "La MAUDITE (Damned), refermented on yeast bas in the bottle, goes down uncommonly smooth. One taste of this excellent malt beverage will instill you in the highest respect."

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

The presentation of this beer was nice in a 750 ml corked brown bottle.

Appearance: Pours orange brown with a 2-3 finger head and LOTS of carbonation; nice, what you want in a Belgian. The beer is too cloudy to see through but lets the light pass through. Nice appearance.

Smell: The smell is sweet and malty. Significant amount of citrus, fruity esters & spices.

Taste: The taste is very unique, very colorful and bold. The taste had a nice sweet malt flavor to it, but then it went south for me. It got tangy; and much more tart than I expected from a Dark Belgian. Somewhat like an orange drink or fruity wine cooler that make you pucker on the aftertaste. It was certainly not an unpleasant taste, just not the taste I was expecting or that I prefer. There are a ton of reviews praising this beer so it may be just me but I think this may be a love it or hate it taste. It is CERTAINLY not average; and I respect it, but I prefer a darker thicker taste, less 'bouncy' flavors. In truth when I added to the experience, a cheese snack I actually enjoyed the beer as long as the cheese was on my palate to reduce the tartness. I do feel I should rate it though on my first impressions.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was very light and thin, somewhat like soapy water. (not saying that is a bad thing, if that is what you like, just a close analogy to the mouthfeel). Very carbonated and bubbly feeling on you tongue.

Drinkability: While the flavors and mouthfeel were not my favorite; still this beer went down with great ease; it’s very smooth. Because it is so light it drinks like a glass of water when you’re thirsty. If you like the Belgian mouthfeel and fruit beers with a tart kick, give this a try. If you are expecting 'Ommegang' or Tröegs Mad Elf (some of my FAVORITES) you may be disappointed.

---
I have since discovered that this beer is also available in 12oz bottles. I enjoyed it a little bit better this time around but not quite enough to actually change my previous review; thus the ‘edit’.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

750ml bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, Maudite is a hazy amber/copper color tons of streamers forming an off-white head with medium-large sized bubbles that leave lightly scattered, foamy lace. An interesting, lighter colored BSDA, but could use more last and lacing.

Smell is moderate, very sweet and sugary, lots of fruity esters. Pretty good, but lacking depth.

Taste fairly muted, not as sweet as the aroma, the fruit here is more cured, from grapes on the nose to raisins on the tongue. Frankly, I expected more. There is a difference between smooth and bland, and this just doesn't pack enough flavor for my taste, even though there are no off-flavors or flaws. It's just not too exciting. As it warms, some plasticy phenols come to the fore, and it starts to get a bit rough. While they're within range of the style, the lack of flavor otherwise over-emphasizes them.

Mouthfeel is very spritzy, way too much for my taste, it mutes the flavors. Lighter body for the size.

Drinkability is pretty good, in that it has a bland, seltzer water taste that beguiles it's ABV, although it's too gassy to drink with speed, and to boring to want another bottle. Based on the high rating, I found it to be a let down, as I feel about all of their beers I've had save La Fin du Monde, which is excellent. In the end, this was pretty generic. This was cheap enough, and I had enough stuff to do this evening, that I didn't even bother with the second half of the bottle. Not that it tasted bad enough for a drainpour, but more that I'm at the point where I save my body for the beers I really enjoy (or spent to much dough on). This one was neither.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Man, Unibroue has had 7 chances to impress me so far and has yet to do so.. I'm starting to think I just don't have the taste for their particular yeast strain. I have one more left after this (their tripel) so hopefully that can do the trick.

This one pours a cloudly light brown with a small head and no lacing. Taste is very spicy with some dark fruit flavors, but mostly ethanol comes through with the spice. Has a smooth aftertaste surprisingly but getting to that point is a pretty rough road. I wouldn't recommend this one.

3.16/5  rDev -24.2%

01.11.10 12-oz. bottle at Beretta in San Francisco.

A: murky brown

S: like bananas

T: can't taste much because it's so carbonated and cold

M: too much carbonation, served way too cold, malty finish

D: I'd love to drink more of it if it tasted how it's "supposed" to taste

I'm a bit disappointed, because I usually really love this beer. It was way too cold. Served at the right temperature, Maudite is phenomenal. The small bottle also probably negatively affected the taste. The 750s are much better, and draught is the best. I reccommended this to a friend who liked it, but I don't think he had a fair/true assessment. Oh, well, better luck next time. Can't wait to review this again, and bump up the points, 'cause it really deserves it!

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Had on tap in a small snifter in Ballantine's in Willoughby.

Pours a hazy amber with a foamy head, with a slow pillowing down.

Smells of yeast, malt and lemon. The lemon is definitely catching me off guard.

Has a lighter taste, with some breadiness. There's an odd lemony sourness, rather than bitterness, that hits the sides and back of the tongue as you swallow. This is a strong dark ale?

Mouthfeel is thin to medium.

Decent enough, but not the beer for me. I know it is a highly rated beer by others; however, life is too short for me to have another of these.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

12oz bottle poured into a red wine glass.

A-Off-white, thick head, creamy and gorgeous, with very persistent head. Effervescent carbonation is evident. Hazy medium-brownish beer. I think the beer was ugly and the head was superb.

S-Light aroma, predominantly phenols, mostly clovey, with yeasty aromas as well.

T-Creamy flavors with bready malts and sweet/fruity nuances. Some yeast flavor, from bottle conditioning. At times, the flavor seemed just a bit plain.

M-Carbonation felt much smoother, almost a silky or creamy character, which surprised me. Body was medium to medium-light.

D-I think this beer was pretty ok. Nothing fantastic, but also far from bad. I'll probably give it another run in the future, though won't search it out.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

drank at home on 9.26.08, poured from the bottle into a wide mouth glass.

Pours a huge 2 finger off white head. very foamy bubbles, didn't even need to be aggressive with the pour. it had a good looking dark brownish orange color. the head dissipated rather quickly but left a nice lacing on the glass. the smell was airy and light. sweet malty, orange and citrus smell. nothing overpowering. a little alcohol smell as well.

the taste was definitely malty and belgian-esque. sweet candy malt flavor. was really hoping for more out of this beer, but I just don't see it (compared to others on BA). mouthfeel was a little crisp and carbonated.

ok beer, but nothing that blew me away.

Maudite from Unibroue