Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 4,283
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: its a brown color with off white head

S: sweet malts and some belgian yeast in there that drys out the mouth

T: sweet malts first then comes with the yeast and also banana but the finish comes in with this chalky aftertaste that bugs me

M: med mouth med carbonation with a chalky aftertaste that sucks I would give it 1 full letter grade higher if it was not for that bad finish

D: very drinkable if it was not for that aftertaste

overall: are you kidding me with this beer? use a better yeast and you will have an A beer use this chalky yeast and its just a average or slightly above average beer! (608 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - this ale pours a dark brown cola color, with a thin white head, tons of carbonation is visible

S - a crisp refreshing aroma, like unsweetened iced tea, seasoned with spice, like either clove or coriander, in addition in the background is a fruity dark sweetness like baked apples sans the cinnamon

T - spicier than i thought it would be, like a saison , hoppy bitters underneath, the sweetness is apparently solely in the aroma save for a faint vanilla hint

M - too fizzy and spicy for my taste, but smooth otherwise and palatable

D - the lacking in mouthfeel lowers the drinkability for me, but others who enjoy it will love it, its high quality and tasty (672 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Head dissipates quickly on pour. Strong smell of unibroue yeast on nose, along with a lot of dark fruit.

Very dry at entry. Flavor is dominated by the yeast at the end. Very, very carbonated, with very fine bubbles.

I remember liking this more, but it hits some of the same notes as the Ommegang Rare Vos and likewise leaves me feeling flat. I guess this is actually one of my less favored unibroues. (404 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.8%

Apperance: Frothy, well formed head. Retention is respectable, becomes rocky. Apple cider in color. Lacing is great.

Nose: Lightly herbacious, orange blossom.

taste: Bitter at first, sweet soft crackers, watery and bitter in the end.

Notes: Adding the yeast did not make much of a difference to the taste, it did not add character like it does with other beers. (370 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.8%

Maudite | 750 ml. | 8.0% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Unibroue
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Glass: Duvel tulip

Appearance:
It pours a fiery dark amber with a bountiful cumulus of foam.

Aroma:
Very pungent and a bit musty. Theres a malty backbone on top of which various fruits--prunes, pears, dried grapes--are layered.

Taste:
Brawny yet complex on the palate. A powerful surge of alcohol meets the drinker at the gate, after which he is taken into a field of fruits. Big malty sweetness and a sprinkling of cloves underlies behind everything. Warming, slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel:
Very strong carbonation is almost overboard for this medium-bodied brew. Clean and crisp on the palate.

Harmony:
It doesn't hide the alcohol all that well for an 8% ABV brew. That said flavors develop nicely. I find the ever-so-acrid aftertaste out of character.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's a fine ale, but too brash and light for my tastes. I prefer the kind of BSDA you can really sit with and mull over--this one's a bit quick.

Bottled: ?
Served: January 13, 2011

Price = $8.99 at Witherspoon Wines (1,103 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Good dark appearance, beige thick tan head. Aroma is unique, but not necessarily what I'm all about.

Taste, so much going on. Sugar, caramel, fruit (apple/pear/grass) are in order of most prominent flavor. A sipping beer, too much to take in throughout. An 8oz size would be ample, too much mouth and price to have another. (324 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 341ml. bottle, bottled June 8, 2012 (Lot F08121806Q).

Appearance: Pours a light apple cider brown. Starts good with a healthy 3 finger head but it's highly effervescent and within a minute disappears completely leaving no trace behind.

Smell: Pungent dark fruits, musty, dark grapes, some residual sugar.

Taste: More muted than the aroma due in large part to the yeast masking much of the flavors. Spicy notes and dark plums peek through.

Mouthfeel: A bit better. It manages to be a bit lively and warming.

Overall: A shadow of its former self. I remember it being more intense. Very average unfortunately. (626 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.4%

Maudite pours a ruddy dark brown with a greyish white foam. The head settles to a thick collar. Complex and enjoyable aroma consists of sweet fruit such as dark cherries and figs laced with candy sugar. White pepper and alcohol provide a balancing zip.

The spice and alcohol sharpness is far more pronounced in the taste. Some of the more interesting complexities of the fruit is lost in an initial rush of candy sugar and emphatic finish of spice and alcohol. A shame because the nose showed real promise. Fine and voluptuous carbonation due to the sugar. A little too much even for a Belgian. Spice and alcohol seems to overwhelm making this less drinkable. Doesn't match up to the true Belgians. (700 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a ruddy brown with fair head into my pint glass, highly carbonated with zero head retention. Smells Belgian yeasty with a fair bit of spice. The most notable thing (for me) in terms of taste is the very high level of carbonation- as if a thousand tiny bubbles were dancing on my tongue as I quaff it. Yeastyness is tempered with a bit of hop and spice. Not my favorite Unibroue so far, but still fairly tasty- out of 10 I'd give it a 7. (442 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Pint from Naja's place in Redondo Beach for an expensive $6.50

Poured a dark golden color with about an inch thick head

Smell was full of yeast and barley

Taste was okay, but not worth all the hype, tasted a lot nutty roast hints and oats

Could drink a lot of these just like the guy next to me actually did (311 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured an opaque dark red-brown with a one-finger creamy off-white head. Excellent lacing to the bottom of the glass.

Smell was very sweet, dark fruit (particularly plum and fig), raisins, brown sugar and alcohol.

Taste was WAY sweet, a mixture of dark fruits and brown sugar. There was no complexity too it, just sweetness. I kind of wish I could have picked up some more flavors but it just came off as a sweet barleywine more than a BSDA.

Medium body with a lot of thin carbonation bubbles.

The sweetness just absolutely killed drinkability for this beer. More than one would be borderline cloying. I'm glad it was a 12oz and not a 750. (643 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the last Unibroue beers I have yet to try. I haven't been that impressed as of now, so lets see how this one stacks up:

A: Pours a real cloudy, amber color. Hints of brown in there. Lots of tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom. Head is white and bubbly, but doesn't last very long.

S: Smells very yeasty with a bready backbone. There is quite a bit of fruit in there as well. Maybe cherry, apple, grape, and quite a bit of spice.

T: Get that typical Belgian yeast. Lots of bread in the flavor. Quite a bit of spice. Some dark fruit like cherry or grape. There is also a earthy undertone in there. The flavor just isn't that appealing to me. Tastes almost like all the other Unibroue beers.

M: Very bubbly and lively. Very crisp and clean. Again, pretty typical for all the Unibroue beers.

D: Drinkability is good I guess. It is 8% ABV but doesn't taste that strong. The main deterrant is the massive carbonation. Some people may like it, but I feel it masks the flavors too much and make it harder to go down.

The more Unibroue beers I have, the more I have a hard time distinguishing them from one another. Its an okay beer, but I have a hard time appreciating Belgian ales as they seem too much like drinking liquid bread. I prefer more robust and intense flavors. This is too much like a wine or champaigne. (1,335 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz : tulip snifter

Amber red with a foamy, creamy off white head. Great retention.

Quite fruity in both the nose and palate, Belgian yeast notes.

Medium-thin body, low foamy carbonation.

A decent beer, but I would've liked to see a bit more pronounced characteristics in the nose and palate, as well as a bit more full body. (330 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into a tulip as recommended (12/14/09 exp date)
A- Pours a clear dark red with brown tints, off-white medium-sized head with fairly watery lacing that doesn't stick very much
S- Sweet belgian candy dominates, dark fruits and some yeasty/bread malts on board, subtle hints of cinnamon, pepper, and banana on board as well
T- Initial taste is of malted candy and dark fruits which quickly transitions to a complex spice profile that sticks around in the prolonged finish
M- Medium-bodied ale with a slightly over-carboned feel, watery texture for a strong ale
D- Edgy carbonation and 8%abv make puts this in the 'moderately' drinkable range, but the watery texture really kills this beer for me, I need more body and flavor for my strong ales!!! I've always been lukewarm on the Unibroue offerings and am hesitant about diving into their future offerings (plus the labels are a little too 'Heavy Metal' for me) (916 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured super frothy, the head was about 3 fingers...maybe I poured it too roughly.
Appearance is a very cloudy brown, slightly dark brown.
The smell gave me fruity, citrusy ideas in my head.
The taste is very strongly fruit, and some tartiness. I almost had to shiver from the flavor until I got used to it. The taste, so complex, I swirl it around for a while and find myself doing that longer and longer, savoring it. But then it goes down and I'm left with a not so enjoyable aftertaste. Kinda of a bitter, alcohol, spoiled fruit taste. Maudite and beers like this one might just be an acquired taste. This is my first try at Belgian Dark Strong Ales, so who knows, they might grow on me.
I bought a set of 3 Unibroue products in a small wooden crate: Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, and Trois Pistoles. So I have two supposedly great beers ahead of me to try out. (877 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Pours an amber color with a large, fluffy head. Aroma is light, some ripe fruits. Carbonation is high and biting. Mouthfeel is thin, and alcohol is prevalant. Taste is warming alcohol at front, and some ripe raisins appear as well. This is just too thin for me for a Belgian beer. The carbonation is a bit too high as well too. (327 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Carbonation my name is Maudite! After a quick pour, the glass is filled with thick creamy head, but more impressive the bubbles on the bottom of the glass are nearly as thick! A darker amber color that's a touch merky. That said back to the head, this is the creamiest thickest looking stuff I've seen. Truth be told it doesn't float a bottle cap that well, but one certainly does float on it (I should say the chimey glass doesn't make for cap floating foam always).

Light spiced sweet malt. Not much more to say on the nose. I think there is some vanilla in here and well, this beer smells as "vanilla" as one can. Even the macros are able to make me notice what they smell like (only you know they smell like grain and alcohol had a baby that they crapped on).

I always enjoyed belgiums that didn't try to over power one with overt flavors. I like the subtle mixed and mellow flavors. This however is too mellow. Toffee and toasted malt are there but certainly more subtle than I'd like. Certainly spices are present along with a bit more sweetness from the yeast, but overall this is pretty unimpressive stuff.

This is creamy near perfect stuff in the mouth. I really can't express how well done this beer is here. The carbonation that gives off that amazing head, lacing, etc doesn't over power and create a beer that I have to burp up. It is creamy and smooth from start to finish.

I'm impressed with how well crafted this beer is, but it just doesn't taste that great and the smell is about as boring as anything can be. (1,535 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

As I pour it into my Unibroue glass (first time I've had their beer in it) it is truly an amber/red color and quite clear, not hazy at all. There is 3 inches of off-white head that takes a minute to dissipate and leaves minimal lacing on the glass.

The aroma is initially spicy, a hint of anise. There is some medium bodied malt to it and a bit of alcohol. I expect there to be more on the nose as the beer warms. Now I pick up a mild sweetness, almost like honey, and some fruitiness and/or pleasant phenols from the yeast.

Taste is well balanced and smooth, though a bit lighter than I had expected. This beer hides it's strength well. There is a little dark fruit and aromatic malt mid way through, and the finish has a mild hop bitterness as well as some light, sweet malt that lingers. The "assertive hops" are really nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick and the carbonation is fairly low.

Overall this beer is fairly sweet, malty and moderately complex. I wish it had more of the assertive hop flavor advertised, it would make for a nice finish. (1,073 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Poured into my Duvel Tulip. Plan to drink the whole thing myself.

Appearance: Head builds very nicely, recedes to about an 1/8", good lacing throughout, nice reddish brown in color.

Smell: Yeast is dominant; spice & malt are there smells like it has some depth & complexity.

Taste: First impression is "thin", especially for a Strong Dark Ale, some nice flavors, bready malt, spice, but overall not very deep and not very complex. The slight bitterness has a very slight metallic tinge in the finish.

Drinkability: Decent beer, taste good enough to be sessionable.

Compared to Trois Pistoles & La Terrible this beer is not anywhere near the same league. Not a bad beer but my least favorite under the Unibroue label. (744 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

This brew had a strong yeasty aroma with notes of citrus, apricot, bread, and clove. (Perhaps due to the bottle refermentation.)

Interesting appearance, cloudy amber body with a tall, smooth, off-white head.

Taste is lightly sweet with a hint of sourness and just a tiny bit of salt and paper napkin.

Medium body with a slightly oily texture. Average carbonation. Long and not entirely pleasant finish. It did not feel finished. Perhaps I should have let this bottle sit a few more months.

Furthermore, this is a beer that wants company. (Can't blame the damned for that, now can we?) (588 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured fine, looked promising. The nose wasn't very pleasant, and the flavor ranged between blah and meh. Finish wasn't bad, but that might just be because the end had been reached. I've had much, much worse, but also have had a lot better. (240 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19%

A-An odd color of burnt orange brown. A finger of white head quickly breaks down into a film. Lots of lively bubbles.

S-Appealing, fruity-prune, raisins, molasses.

T-Lots of yeast and fruity esters, not a ton else going on.

M-Lots of tingly carbonation, some alcohol noticed. Thin bodied a bit of bitter lingering finish.

O-Missing some malt backbone to carry the strong yeasty flavor and the carbonation zing is a bit high for my taste. (442 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Consumed 6/23/12

Appearance: Dark amber with a lot of orange - hazy, with a creamy off-white head - retains a nice-looking cap, leaves some streaks of lacing

Smell: Unibroue yeast everywhere - ripe bananas, old bubblegum, and a blast of clove - very spicy, tons of esters - pears and apples - a bit too much- some pale malts, and some white bread, or maybe sweet pound cake

Taste: Like a fruity bread - bananas, pears, tart apples, and some other light fruits - esters everywhere, in excess - lots of clove, spicy, slightly tart - light bread, on the sweet side - very mildly bitter - and, of course, the Unibroue yeast

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nicely carbonated, smooth

Overall: Good for what it is, but too fruity

This is the third time I've had this beer, and I remain underwhelmed. It's good, but it's too fruity, too yeasty. I can see why people like this, but I'm not a huge fan. (890 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Originally sampled on 4 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This beer has a dark orange color. It is opaque.
Flavor: It is slightly sweet and the alcohol is well hidden, which I always appreciate. I want to taste the flavors in the beer, not the alcohol. All in all, it's a very nice drinkable beer (331 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A – Cloudy deep amber with a glorious two-finger head of thick foam. Fantastic lacing of minute white bubbles.

S – Belgian yeasts with some fruity esters, but also a bit of metallic astringency. Unexpected.

T – Tastes follows the smell, but with a stronger malt presence than hinted at in the nose. A bevy of tastes here; Belgian yeasts give familiar fruity esters of banana and clove, with some residual sweetness from the malt. Bittering hops kick in toward the end bringing some balance. A slight sour note that I would attribute to the active yeast strain. (Not necessarily a bad thing in this beer) Also a hint of spiciness in the finish. (Coriander?)

M – Fizzy. Medium bodied. Finish lingers on the tongue; the exact opposite of “dry”.

O – This is a quintessential Belgian ale, with all the good and bad that represents. Not a fan of fizzy beers with a slight sourness? This one probably isn’t for you. Love Belgians? This one is probably right up there with the best. I fall somewhere in-between, which is to say that I enjoyed it, but probably would not buy again as traditional Belgians are not one of my favorite styles. (1,194 characters)

Maudite from Unibroue