Maudite - Unibroue

MauditeMaudite

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maudite Alström Bros

best before 11/3/12

A: pours into a duvel tulip to a reddish brown with a slightly off white head and good retention
S: fruitiness and a slight tartness, not expecting that a bit of phelolic alcohol and slight caramel sweetness
T: dark fruits, caramel swetness, a bit of spiciness, slightly tart but not sour, a bit sugary. swallow brings a bit of alcohol caramel and dark fruit
M: medium body and a soft but vigorous carbonation with a drying finish
O: this is one of my favorite beers but the first time I've had it with this much age on it. it's quite good and has aged very gracefully.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Drank from a 1pt. 9.4 fl.oz./750ml bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA
Best before 10-19-14
Served in a tulip

The beer poured a hazy, dark crimson-amber and was topped by a four-finger, fluffy, light tan crop of froth. The head dissipated to a thin film and eventually turned into a lasting ring. Streaks of lacing trickled down the sides of the glass.

The nose was amazingly interesting and unique. I can always spot this beer from a mile away. Super spicy and phenolic. Tons of clove and allspice. Fruity. Strong Belgian yeast notes. After a few minutes, the nose turned incredibly powdery and dry. As the head dissipated, the powdery notes subsided and the spicy and fruity qualities again dominated.

Compared to the nose, the taste was a bit of a letdown. Bready, toasty malts appeared on the front end. Good amount of yeasty, spicy and phenolic notes. Touch of tartness in the center. As the beer moved along the palate, the flavor profile became a bit empty. The beer finished crisp, dry and slightly bitter with a surprising amount of earthy hops.

The mouthfeel was astonishingly light and fluffy on the palate. Once the liquid hit my tongue, it quickly turned into an effervescent fizz.

Maudite has always been one of those beers that I recommend to people who want to delve into the craft beer world. This is a really solid offering available at a remarkably affordable price.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

A-Pours a hazy amber with a fluffed white head. Head laces well. It also retains its height with confidence.

S-Yeast, ester and dark fruit. Not really that intense. Bruised apples. Raisins. Brown sugar. A flick of spice.

T-Malty and yeasty. Dried fruits. I get dark and pale fleshed fruits, which is pretty cool. Cloves. Maybe a tickle of pepper. Complex but not assertive.

M-Smooth carbonation. Medium body. Goes down easily.

O/D-Cant believe I haven't had this up until now. Doesn't really fit into my flavor niche.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy brownish amber with a good medium slowly dissipating beige head. Aroma of roasted caramel malt, yeast, dark fruity esters fill the senses. Taste is of roasted caramel malt, yeast, dark fruit of plums with some bitter notes. A full bodied brew on the palate, nicely balanced with good carbonation and a slightly smooth mouth feel. Finish is roasted caramel malt, yeast, bready, with some dried fruit flavor with some bitter notes ending is slightly lingering sweet alcohol. Overall a very good nicely balanced and enjoyable brew.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Dark amber with a modest tan head and no lacing.

S: Fruit, brown sugar, a bit of a yeasty tang. Not super-strong.

T/M: Lots of rich, sugary fruit up front: apples, raisins, very cidery and sweet. This is balanced by bready Belgian yeast and spices.

O: A great Belgian, very flavorful and complex.

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

I know I have had this beer before… I am just not sure where or when. But I love the label. I was actually surprised to learn that the beer was first brewed in 2007. I figured, looking at the label, this was an old beer that has been bottled for years. I was also glad they explained the meaning behind the name. I had no idea what Maudite means… but the meaning and the story behind the name of the beer is fun! I hope I am OK drinking this. Excited to see what the Maudite tastes like. By the way… I love the foil wrap around the bottle cap. Makes it just feel more expensive! (This bottle was only $2.99.) Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I was expecting this beer to be darker in the glass. Of course, looking at the style, it should be a thick, dark brown. Almost like a barleywine. And it has a barleywine appearance in the glass. It seems thick, and has a weak lace. The ABV is pretty high, but if I had to guess, I would have expected it to be higher.

Nose: I am not smelling anything. The tasting notes said "expect a full nose"… unless by full they mean completely empty! I am shocked that this beer has such a weak aroma. On a second sniff I picked up a slight sweetness toward the end… but that's it. It's cold, but that shouldn't affect the aroma that much.

Flavor: There we go. That's what I'm talking about. Now THAT is a good Belgian strong dark ale. Like I said, we are drinking this cold. But I have enough from my first drink to speak to this beer from here on out. I want this to warm up a little. It's too cold! But the flavor is incredible, and very complex starting with a hint of hops ending with a silky smoothness leading to a sweet aftertaste. There are tons of flavors going on here. I always wonder how they can pack so many flavors into a single bottle of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring. But that's OK. I don't want there to be a lot going on here. I want it to coat my throat and leave with a lasting aftertaste. That is exactly what this beer does. It isn't carbonated at all, and almost tastes flat. But then the flavors really kick in just when you think the beer is worthless. The back half of the palate gets the most of the flavor.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It is somewhat dry, with a subtle sweetness to it. Exactly what I expected from a Belgian dark strong ale. The beer manager at Total Wine & More likes Belgian beers. Drinking something like this, I can see why!

Unibroue makes a ton of beers, and this is one of their most popular. For being the second beer they released, I am impressed. It's $3 a bottle, so I might not buy this often. But I am pretty impressed with it. The older I get, the more I can appreciate a good Belgian beer. This is a good Belgian beer. Bottoms up, people!

Maudite - The bottle says: "La MAUDITE (Damned), refermented on yeast bas in the bottle, goes down uncommonly smooth. One taste of this excellent malt beverage will instill you in the highest respect."

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle is "best before" 08-02-13

A: A clear, deep ruby pour. Big frothy tan head. Fades slowly, excellent head retention. Almost no lacing, just a speck here and there on the glass. Head has a pinkish tone to it once it has fully receded. Like diluted strawberry milk.

S: Caramel apples. Almost perfectly caramel apples. A touch of melon and maybe some belgian yeast earthiness? But mostly caramel apples. Funny.

T: Apples, pears, raisin and a bit of melon. Very fruity in general but quite dry. Moderate caramel backing it with a bit of sweetness. A little bit of earth and black pepper from the belgian yeast in the finish. Ends fairly drying with some lingering dried fruits and black pepper.

M: Medium bodied, drying. Higher carbonation keeps it lighter.

O: An excellent dry BSDA. I prefer mine on the sweeter and richer side but I will still give this one credit where credit is due. Lots of fruits in this one, as unibroue is known for.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Best Before 12-22-14
Bottle stamped : M 221120560FL

A= Pours a deep brown color with a nice thick two fingers of head on it that holds great retention and lacing.

S= Has a spicey belgian yeast smell to it with some nice yeasty aroma of pepper and apples. A little bubblegum in it as well as a tiny amount of dark fruit.

T= The taste is almost totally different. A candy sweetness hits you initially. This beer tastes like some sort of candy I can't put my finger on. It's almost like a sweet toffee or something. I remember reading something about an assertive hop bitternss but that is definitally not the case with this beer. There is a nice buiscuity finish to it following the super sweet candy like start.

M= Well carbonated.

O= This beer was suprisingly good. Nice candy sweet beer. I was not expecting something so tasty from this to tell you the truth. It doesn't have the "assertive hop bitterness" I read about but it's tasty none the less.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%