Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Reviews: 1,896 | Ratings: 4,433
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

The first time I saw this I was just amazed... A huge, cork-stopped bottle with Satan on it. How cool is that? I knew I had to buy it and drink it while wearing a Slayer shirt.

I had to go buy a Slayer shirt, but that was no problem. I mean hey... it's Slayer.

I have to admit that, judging by the packaging, I had expected it to be swill. (I wasn't yet familiar with the greatness that is Unibroue.) Boy, was I wrong. This is one fine beer. I've had many, many more since that day.

It pours a very dark brown with not much head, and smells like caramel and dark friuts.

The dark fruits are prevalent in the taste as well, along with anise. It's a bit sour, but not in a bad way.

This is one of my favourite beers. I'll definitely be having more. And soon. Like, as soon as I'm able to get up and walk to the fridge.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this on tap at the local pub. Pours a cloudy brown color with a moderate head that had decent retention and left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was very spicy with some citrus and pepper in there. The flavor was very spicy. Lots of fruit and malt in there as well. Peppery. The body was light to moderate. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I like the spiciness.

Poured in a Duvel glass, has a orange dark iced tea color, translucent and hazy, definitely has a lot of centro- carbonation action, with a three inch head that dissipated to an inch after a few minutes.
Smell has a light toasted caramel aroma with light pine/resin slightly lemon hops.
Taste has a moderate acidic toasted caramel and wheat malt; moderate pine, resin, grapefruit, and lemon/lime hops; and has a moderate finish with hints of cask wood, champagne, vanilla, and cola.
Mouthfeel has medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft fizzy carbonation, and a slightly metallic smooth finish.
Drinkability is excellent for this type of beer can even be in the session beer catagory.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Just looked at the numbers I gave this from the bottle. I may have to revisit that and re-review. Off the tap, the beer poured a hazy light brown color with a small head that just coats the beer. The nose was fruity caramel with a light peppery character, but overall, a bit light. There was more peppery spice inthe flavor than the nose would have told, as well as a nice caramel flavor and a slightly bitter finish. The feel was way too thin for me. Where was the body in this beer? Just an okay beer. I managed to drink a pitcher of it, so it wasn't that bad, but I've hd better from unibroue.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

The beer pours a dark opaque coco brown. Nice tan head. Good lacing.

The beer has a pleasant but slight aroma. I smell some banana & plum and perhaps a bit of fresh cut pine.

The taste is of caramel, malts, plums and raisins. It has a interesting chalky finish. The alcohol taste starts to emerge after a few sips, but it never becomes overpowering. The beer also has a slightly sour taste that I think compliments the other flavors.

Very low levels of carbonations which seems to suit this beer. I like this beer, but it would be a once an evening treat for me.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

The cork popped like a bottle of champagne. Smells malty with a trace of hops and a bitter scent. Pours out a cloudy orange brown.

Taste is bitter malt, with a slight hoppiness that I've tasted in other Belgian ales. Good flavour, but a little overwhelming on the alcohol taste. Not entirely unpleasant, but nothing to call exceptional. Carbonated, but not too fizzy. Nice drinking; goes down easily. Better than many beers.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a mahogany brown with a lingering champagne like head. Aroma of spicey yeast, minerals, and malt. The flavor isn't overly sweet, and not to bitter, it's bready, somewhat toasted and yeasty with minerals. I'm impressed with the smoothness of this. There is no 8 % alcohol bite in this, which makes it very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

The votive behind the glass gave the beer the apperance of a fiery potion. Really this one had more in common with wine than beer in the taste department. Was that pepper, apple, saffronn, who knows? It was incredibly complex and I would expect no less from Unibroue. The drinkability is lacking, one was more than enough and this isn't a beer I'll have often. I mush prefer Fin du Monde.
Bottle paired with honey roasted artichoke and spinach salad with a port reduction dressing and porcini tagliatelle witha sundried tomato creme sauce

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

My 100th review. How quick it came....

Appearence: Pours a murky copper with a black flakes. The off-white head is tremendously turbulent, and leaves nice lacing. The carbonation up the sides is perfect.

Smell: The aroma is sweet and spicy. HInts of pepper and citrus poke through, with a strong, intense alcohol backing.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Instantly tart with a strong clove and pepper taste. All malts in the beginning, and a nice amount of hops in the end round it off. I detect and oakish and almost vanilla flavor. The alcohol is nicely masked, but it's still there and actually helps round the beer off. The mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: A rich, complex, and damn tasty treat. A very Belgian-style ale, that is just as good as most stuff currently coming out of Belgium. My first shot at Unibroue and I'm blown away. I wish I could get this around here. Try this.

Bashiba, you're a good man for sending me this one.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours an orangish molassescolor with a cream 2 inch thick head. The smell is of bananas, sweet cloves, fresh spices and a nice earthy aroma. The taste is clean, fruit tones and clean spice taste, harvest spices, light to medium bodied, very drinkable and damn good.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Huge head on this one, might have been a bit of a hard pour. Nonetheless, it shrank rather quickly to an even layer of small bubbles. Cloudy and dark brown in color, dark caramel with a touch of brandy coloring sums it up.

Aroma of dark fruits, some plum and raisin, quite sweet smelling overall. Very inviting. Flavor profile follows suit with the aroma, dark fruits dominate, a bit of sour cherry and plum. Quite sweet just like the aroma. There is a nice malt flavor which keeps this beer in check and adds a good bread aftertaste. Alcohol only adds a slight touch of sweetness, nothing overpowering by any means.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but doesn't detract much. Drinkability is a good overall. I could easily have a couple of these with a nice dinner or just sitting around for that matter.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/05/04- Purchased at a wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Appearance- Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface.

Smell- I bit too much alcohol in the scent. A bit of the same aroma of the beer I just had (NB Abbey) but a bit sweeter. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove.

Taste- Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy.

Mouthfeel- Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

Drinkability- My buddy swears by this beer and I can see why now. Good deal for $2.39 for a 12oz bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Copper/amber color with a nice beige head and active carbonation. Nice black pepper and coriander spiced aroma with a dark fruitiness to balance. Spiced pepperish and malt flavors .. much like it smells; alcohol seems to be well hidden. Medium bodied but smooth with a spicy dry finish.

Very easy drinking for the style .. wish there was a Belgian Strong Medium Ale style to put this in. :-)

Per Label: Maudite = Damned

Best Before: 10/21/05
Tasted: 12/01/04

($2.33 / 12 oz.)

3.42/5  rDev -18%

12 oz foiled twist top with best by (06-26-06) date, 8% abv listed, ale on lees bottle re-fermentation and serving glass suggestion (goblet, not flute). Aged for about 18 months in my closet and decanted into my New Belgian goblet.
Aroma: Strong spicy Unibroue-Belgian yeast with a nice orange rind and pepper smell.
Appearance: A brown peach color. Scanty off white head that didn’t even try to lace.
Flavor: Vinous, high octane stuff. Doesn’t hide the alcohol, it showcases it. The effect is one of bitter malt, a neat trick from a brewing standpoint, but it just seems wrong taste-wise. Dark fruits typical of the style are represented, plum and fig most notably. There is a certain “malt liquor” taste of added sugars.
Mouthfeel: It numbs me to the core. I really feel the tingle between the teeth and gums, and I can feel it working its way back to my spine. Carbonation is very strong; it turns to fizz in my mouth. I’ll try to let it breathe a bit.
Overall Impression: I fear I’m entering my “Cedar Fever” blackout period for beer reviews. My allergies are kicking in today so my nose and sinus are a bit raw. This beer may be a bit much for me, so I’ll temper scores with previous happy tasting memories. This sample is proving too spicy, too carbonated and a bit lacking in taste. Sad notes for a great brewery and a good beer I’ve enjoyed before.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Pours a hazy maroon color with a big white head, into my schell's tulip. Smells yeasty, spicy, and very intriguing. Taste was very vinous, with lots of spice and malt presence, excellent hop finish, serve at cellar temperature for best results. If this is "The Damned" I can't wait to try the Gift of God...

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Unibroue Maudite (best before 01/29/07):

Ahh, Unibroue Maudite…I’ll be damned. Slightly cloudy garnet pour sits under a beautimus two inch head that dissipates quickly into an even 1/8 inch head of fine bubbles. Aroma is kind of yeasty with some spice thrown in, and perhaps some dried fruit. This brew is balanced to perfection…malty spice seamlessly fades into a yeasty hoppy finish, and leaves with a smile. Very nice example, and a nice choice to compliment a hardy Italian red sauce.

Cheers...

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

After pulling the cork out I had to make a run away from the carpet... must have gotten jostled a bit or something.

Pours into the glass a hazy red-orange with a giant amount of off-white head that settles slowly and leaves a small layer floating on top, not much lacing on the glass itself.

While cold little aroma could be found which seemed a bit musty. After letting it warm up a bit more, alcohol and ripe fruit show their presence with a bit of spice.

Taste had the same attitude as the smell, more prominent when warmer. Not as heavy as I had expected, light alcohol presence that numbs the tongue a bit but is overtaken by a ripe fruit and spice mixture with little hoppyness supported by a nice malty backbone. Very well balanced, quite possibly the most balanced beer I've had.

Mouthfeel was easily the best feature for me. Went down nice and smooth with no bad aftertaste or alcoholic burn.

A very nice holiday selection if you feel like a Belgian as it will complement just about anything and not overpower.

Popped the cork out of the 750ml champagne bottle and it flew across the room above the Thanksgiving turkey. Poured into my Duvel tulip glass a dark brown hue that becomes more and more murky as it nears the bottom of the bottle, almost like apple juice. Great carbonation - tiny, tiny bubbles just keep on coming. Slighly sweet aroma of roasted malt, prunes, brown sugar, light hoppy bitterness, and some serious alcohol. Incredibly complex palate. Notes of brown sugar, sweet malt, dark, sweet fruit, and earthy yeast. Highly alcoholic finish is very warming. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly syrupy, very nice for the style. Takes a while to drink, but is imminently satisfying even an hour after pouring.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 750mL bottle. Pours with moderate white head, which disspates at a medium pace. A cloudy brown appearance with a little orange mixed in. The smell suggests overpowering fruity esters; but on the first sip, they are not as present as expected. Certainly plenty of body and malt. You can taste the roasted malts/ ?crystal malt. However, tastes a little too tannic. Has a warm alcoholic sensation in the throat without being too harsh.

Overall, pretty good, but not the best offering from Unibroue. I don't know what it is, something just feels a little off balance. I would have this again, certainly; but it would not be the first thing I would reach for. I can't see myself having more than one in a night.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow.

750ml bottle. Poured a very icky orange color - like rotting leaves. Tons of yeasty sediment. Smelled of sweet peaches and cloves. Banana esthers.

Oh so good. The taste is out of this world. Creamy vanilla bean malt flavor with just the slightest touch of hops. Well balanced and the alcohol is just warming enough to make my stomach happy.

Excellent.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

poured a brown and cloudy color with a tan fizzy head that settled down to a ring around the beer. Aroma was nice but very faint and difficult to pick up. Did not overpower you. Maudite tasted slightly sweet and lemony with a nice but tangy finish. Felt like candy on the toungeand for an 8% abv quite drinkable.

Poured a rich orange that has an almost brown character to it with a frothy white head that subsided quickly to leave a layer of bubbly foam. Aroma is very complex with sweet malts and a lot of alcohol and yeast fruitiness. The flavor is a rush of a barely perceptible hop bitterness and a sweet malt flavor balanced by a dry estery finish that has a lingering alcohol prescence and a mineral water like taste. The mouthfeel has a fine belgian style carbonation that rushes a lot of small bubbles all over your tongue without having the bite of arificially carbonated beverages. The body of this ale also has a Belgian feel to it too as I am sure they achieved the high alcohol of this brew using kettle sugars. Very drinkable on a cold night when this ale is at about 50 degrees F and poured into a snifter like glass it is very expressive of it's flavors yet has a refined balance.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a hazy copper-orange with a slight film of a head comprised of small, compact bubbles. A beautiful spicy smell that speaks of Noble hops. I am reminded of homebrewing a hefeweizen and smelling the Hallertau hops. Aroma ambrosia.

Flavors of slight toasted malts, apple and dried cherries inundate the senses at first. Yeasty bread rears its pretty lil' head. Then a subdued clove spice kicks in, complimenting the initial scent. Warm, alcohol tones. And watch out! It's super smooth, so it is considerably sneaky at abv 8%.

Overall, wonderful, full-on fruit flavors with rich backings of spice and even a note of fresh herb. The more you drink it, the more you find in terms of flavors. And the more you drink it, the more you like it. A sign of a true epicurean delight.

I can drink this solo. I can drink this with fresh greens and bleu cheese. I can drink this with a nice medium-rare delmonico steak. I can drink this with a vegetarian mexican lasagna. See where I'm going?

A masterful ale selection that won't disappoint. Serve it to your wine snob friends and laugh at them when you tell them you only paid $5.99 for a 750 ml bottle.

One of my all-time favorites.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Strong, devilish ale from Unibroue.

Appearance: Dark, murky orange. Good head.
Smell: Raisin-y, plum-y; Good malt tones. Not much hop here.
Taste: Complex maltiness up front. Fruity, banana and berry middle. Good finish, but perhaps just a tad too sweet. This sample tastes liked like a younger port. Could possibly rate a 4.5/5.0 in another year, or two
Mouthfeel: Solid, full-bodied ale. Leaves the palette nice and warm. Good yeasty residuals, to compliment the sugars.
Drinkability: Very good. Solid ale on cold night. Admire the Belgian-like approach to this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Bought a 750 ml bottle of this for an evening of movies. It's an old favourite.

Pours a hazy coppery brown with a foamy off-white head that oddly disappeared rather quickly, which was odd for Maudite. Smells very spicy with a few citrus notes. Taste is a strong yeasty spiciness with hint of orange gets much better as it warms up, becoming more mellow and smoother. It also hides the ABV very well, and sneaks up on you like most Unibroue ales do... which I like. I should have bought two bottles...

Maudite from Unibroue