La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Reviews by ChrisCage:
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A- This is the 1st tripel I've ever had and right off the bat, I'm impressed with the 750ml bottle, and the cork top plus wire that's holding it down. The cork popped once taken out, like a semi-sparkling wine...great so far. I soft poured on an angle into my glass and only filled about half way due to the impressive foamy white head that kept swelling. The coloring is a hazy amber/off orange with some noticable carbonation. This looks like a real winner!

S- This is very complex! First thing I noticed was a rich yeasty aroma, like fresh bread with melted butter on it. There's definately some baking spices in there as well, plus flowery alcohol aromas, some nuttiness, lots of malt and even some tropical fruits. Every whiff brings something different to the table on this one!

T- Again, many different flavors come to life in this. First thing that I notice is the spiciness of the beer. Reminds me somewhat of gingerbread cookies. I tasted the tropical fruits, and even some tart citrus notes. Once through these tastes, the maltiness of the brew comes to life, especially in the finish, along with some balanced hops and there is a heavy yeasty flavor that I detected. Great stuff!

M- I have to agree with a previous review in the fact that this beer seems to get a fuller body the more it is enjoyed. I noticed as I made my second pour that the consistancy was thicker than the first. The first half is much more bubbly and the second half is very creamy on the palate....I like it more the longer I'm drinking it.

D- I've decided that this is a very near perfect beer, but it is full bodied....that and the fact that I had 3/4 of a litre and I've had as much as I can handle for a night. This would definately be enjoyable with an old cheddar cheese. I recommend this beer for anyone who truly enjoys the finer brews in life and think this would be a great beer to celebrate with! With that said though, this beer is, in my opinion, a sipping beer and a single bottle would suffice for an entire evening.

ChrisCage, Jun 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer.

oberon, Jul 08, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

don1481, Aug 22, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Even a very slow pour will reveal a huge, foamy white head sitting atop this cloudy/golden brew. The maltiness & alcohol are big up front. Earthy notes and a hint of spice give la fin du monde a complex and dry finish. A definite classic out of Quebec.

Popsinc, Nov 17, 2002
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A dangerous combination of delicious and strong. This is the most drinkable strong ale I've ever tasted. I would sometime like to sit down and drink three of these in a sitting.

Pours a hazy gold with a good-sized fluffy white head. Smells and tastes amazing; citric, fruity, spicy and yeasty! I'd put a Fin du Monde air freshener in my room if there were such a thing.

Amazingly smooth. This is my favorite in its category, and one of my favorite three beers... ever!

Marty, Apr 04, 2003

davemarc87, Apr 28, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance – Absolute monster head. The bottle foamed over when I popped the top even though it had been sitting quietly in my fridge for a week. The body is an extremely cloudy example of deep yellow with a hint of orange.

Smell – This is very interesting. The yeast comes out big in the aroma. It is well complimented by various spices, most notabley clove and garlic. There’s also a pleasing lemon scent.

Taste – This is a real heavy hitter. The lemon flavor comes out a little bit more in the taste. The yeast is big and bountiful. The powdery spices take a back seat but are still present. This is an excellent representation of the style.

Mouthfeel – Big, mouth-filling carbonation with this one.

Drinkability – If you like BSPAs, you have to give this one a try. The Unibroue interpretation of this style is interesting indeed. It went down very well and left me wanting for more (I chinced and bought the 12 oz bottle).

Comments – This one had a real hefeweitzen base, but goes off in its own direction rather quickly. An “A” for originality if nothing else. A must try for fans of the style.

Update – I reviewed this shortly after joining the site in Aug ’03 so decided to re-review it with a 2004 vintage. This really is a great example of a BSPA, and now after having reviewed over 200 Belgian Ales I am really able to appreciate the craftsmanship of this particular ale. I’m raising the overall score from 4.3 to 4.5.

Update – The 2005 vintage lacked that explosive head of yesteryear that actually kind of annoyed me but otherwise was just about the same. I really enjoy the unique garlicky character of the aroma. Two thumbs up – a solid 4.5.

RoyalT, Sep 04, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +10%

cam477, Dec 19, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: This is by far the lightest (in color and body) of Belgian Strong Darks that have really impressed me. Generally, I like this style big, full, and caliginous. La Fin du Monde on the other hand is a brilliant incandescent gold with a nice amount of lively haze and a super sticky white head.

S: Fetching clementine and banana aromas dominate, followed by cloves and medicinal phenyls.

T: Spicy citrus. Pear and mango enter the mix. Clove flavors continue.

MF: Smooth and creamy with kicking carbonation.

Drinkabity is extreme considering the ABV.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 20, 2006

beerhunter13, Jan 15, 2012

DanGeo, May 28, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets really good reviews and anytime you have a highly hyped drink it can sway your judgement. I wanted to try this because of the recommendations. I'm not swayed on hype, I want results!

Served cold from a bottle in a witbeer glass.

When I first tried this my initial impression was to just judge the taste and no other factors. Just by taste alone it is good. Not great, but good. I'd drink it for sure but it doesn't blow me away. When you look at what's going on with this beer it become a bit more impressive. La Fin Du Monde has 9% abv and I surely couldn't tell that when drinking it initially... but boy will you feel it later on! That is quite impressive to me how they can blend it so perfectly.

LFDM definitely has a nice spice presence to it and it has the pleasant taste of fruits (apples, pear, and a little banana like you would get from a hefe). There's just something missing to me. I think its the mouthfeel. It just feels too liquid to me. I wish it had a thicker presence in the mouth like a good hefe. I think that would elevate it greatly for me. It's a good beer, but overhyped in my opinion. Of course many people may be judging this based on the "stlye" (tripel) and I'm not. I'm judging it as a drink alone. I haven't had many triples to compare it to to be honest but I'm sure its one of the best triples! Expertly blended!

Regardless, another beer tried! I have another Unibroue beer to review in a few days. Hoping for the best! :)

Fear4Beer, May 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Golden yellow, very vibrant color with a huge haziness that makes the beer extremely opaque. Very volatile, leaving an enormous, cloudy white head. The nose hits with some cooking spices, cloves, fruits and fruity esters, and a slight medicinal background. The taste follows through with heavy clove and banana up front, all based on the background of warming alcohol. Bubblegum comes through midway, as well as faint grape and orange. As the beer starts to warm up, I could taste some pear and sweet peaches coming out, too. Aftertaste is left with a nice helping of yeast and malty-bready flavors, along with a dash of clove and alcohol.

This is a well done tripel ale. Balanced extremely well and fairly complex - load of fruits and esters can be picked out of this one. Sweet, without being too sweet, and fairly mild on the palate for a 9% ABV brew. Bravo.

tectactoe, Oct 29, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Hazy yellow color with a rather big ivory-colored head that stays on for a while and leaves a nice lid of lacings.

S: A fine-tuned smell, complex with every piece at its place. Some gentle clove-like spices mix with pleasant fruit aromas of mostly tangerines and lemon peel. The wheat and fragile malts provide a nice clean background. Quite a lot of phenols and some alcohol. When tripels showcase smells like this, they are really great. Clean, refreshing and complex. Well balanced. (As a note, you could almost feel the gas in the nose from the carbonation in this one).

T: Gentle spices (mostly cloves) and fruit esters of tangerine, pear and lemon peel lead the way to a nice semi-sharp malt and wheat character. It's a kind of sweet taste, but the spices act as a good counterweight. Bread crumbs, grass and a mild taste of earthy yeast. The wheat gets a little more pronounced towards the end, resulting in that semi-tart taste sometimes noticeable in wheaty beers. The finish holds some notes of herbal alcohol, phenols, a gentle spicy hop bite and bitterness and lingering fruity notes. In general, a complex and well balanced taste.

M: Moderate body, nice slick mouthfeel with a generous amount of lively carbonation.

D: Tripels are probably my least favorite style of the high ABV Belgian styles, but I think I can go as far as saying that this is one of the best tripels I've ever had. Complex and balanced, yet with plenty of that Belgian edginess. This one is really easy to drink, but deserves to be sipped and savored at a gentle pace.

ricke, Jul 31, 2009

Max3, May 25, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed from notes on 8/28/10 with BuckyFresh and TCGoalie. Thanks for the bottle, Bucky!

A: Pours a light gold with a pure white, 1 finger head into a snifter. The carbonation and color combine to give this beer a highly effervescent and glittery look. The lacing is good and reminds me of spindly tree limbs.

S: A cornucopia of fruits and spices reside in the smell of this beer. Lots of spicy Belgian yeast, lemon, lemongrass, prickly pear, pepper, golden delicious apples, clove, mineral water, and numerous other aromas waft out of the glass. This smell is fresh, fresh, fresh, and sings of a golden, dewy spring morning. Warning: Do not suck this beer into your nostrils. It feels very uncomfortable.

T: The dominant taste in my mouth is lemon. This is backed by grassiness and a peppery zing. Spicy yeast and fresh pear also grace my palate. This is a very bright and shiny taste which wears on my palate a bit as time slip slides away. In all, though, it is pretty well balanced with a nice emphasis on the spicy yeast.

M: Nicely clean and tingly on my mouth. However, it was a little thin and watery for the style and quite bright on my palate.

D: The bomber split three ways was probably enough for me. I enjoyed it very much but the brightness and faux sweetness of the taste was pretty wearing on my palate. This will be a once in awhile treat for me.

TCHopCraver, Sep 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a chalice

LOOK (4.5/5) This poured a darker golden color with some orange tones when held up to the light. It was a little more opaque than some other beers of the style, particularly the Westmalle. However, I think this was a really nice venue for the rich color. The only flaw in this category, I think was the brew's white head that rose quickly, dominated by larger bubbles than I would have liked, only to fade at a somewhat disappointing rate.

SMELL (4.5/5) The smell was initially dominated by the yeasty esters and phenols. The bouquet was pretty fruity, but was followed quickly by some deep spicy overtones and some citrus. There was also a nice wheatiness to the smell.

FLAVOUR (4/5) As with the smell, the beginning was dominated by the sweet fruitiness, which was balanced nicely with some very subtle malt flavors. The only problem here is that the brew took a quick turn towards the harsh alcoholic flavour before the yeast spices overpower that. Some great warming, not too hot.

FEEL (5/5) Very effervescent on the tip of the tongue in the initial taste (almost reminiscent of the more carbonated Belgian Ales, like Duvel in this respect). This transitions to a wonderful fullness as it washes to the back of the mouth. This balances the spiciness of the esters.

DRINK (4/5) super tasty and very drinkable - its dangerous because of it.

Rijtjeshuis, Jul 16, 2011

OhioBobcat, May 17, 2014

CavemanRamblin, Jul 28, 2014

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012

jono0101, May 18, 2013

MaxT, Jul 28, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- deep golden with a dense white head, good retention.

S- Compact aroma. Lemon, clove, grains of paridise, white pepper, apple.

T- Clean yeastiness, subtle coriander, pinot grigio. Simple orangey citrus notes that integrate nicely. Alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Perfect carbonation, delicate with a light crisp touch.

D- This beer is about as easy to drink as any beer i've had. I always forget how good this is.

brownbeer, Nov 02, 2009