La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

to view more.
Ratings: 9,029 | Reviews: 2,823
Reviews by Ri0:
4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

A dangerous combination of delicious and strong. This is the most drinkable strong ale I've ever tasted. I would sometime like to sit down and drink three of these in a sitting.

Pours a hazy gold with a good-sized fluffy white head. Smells and tastes amazing; citric, fruity, spicy and yeasty! I'd put a Fin du Monde air freshener in my room if there were such a thing.

Amazingly smooth. This is my favorite in its category, and one of my favorite three beers... ever!

4.97/5  rDev +15%

12 oz brown bottle with a foiled top, a best before date on the back label.

Appearance: Foamy off white head that takes a long while to subside to a sticky lace. Cloudy yet radiant yellowish golden colour shows that this is a pale brew.

Smell: Ripe sugary nectarines, a powdery yeast and a light phenolic clove and medicinal mix in the aroma. Alcoholic esters with a touch of solvent linger in the back of the nose.

Taste: Peppery clove spiciness with a warming alcohol right behind it. Estery with a hint of solvent-like character in the high level of alcohol. Malt lays down some sweetness with a thick drying pale graininess, fruity flavours of mango and pear flash on the taste buds. Bitterness from the hops melds with the thick powdery yeast and bring the mouth to a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes: One of my favourite Belgian style pale strong ales, a bit over the top for some people and one that I respect by sipping through the night.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 750 mL Corked Bottle

A- Beautiful light Golden Apricot colour with a 1 1/2 finger soapy white head that literally doesn't move an inch. Incredible retention and a glass fully covered with silky lacing.

S- Bready and yeasty with light hints of slight sweet citrus.

T- Biscuit, yeasty flavours, and light touches of citrus and cloves. Beautiful and perfectly balanced. Nothing really sticks out as dominate, it just all flows together.

M- Silky smooth with a foamy, bubbly body, although there isn't much carbonation to be found. Easily drinkable but a hard hitting body that lays quite heavy in the stomach. Wouldn't be able to have much more than a 750 mL bottle, although I'm not sure why you would want to have more!

O- Thanks to you guys/gals here on Beer Advocate, I decided to go for a beer that I passed by without taking a second look every time I was at the Liquor store. I'm thankful that I finally picked it up! Top notch, word class beer that is easily the best example of the style that I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow with an enormous white head; good lacing

Smell: Bananas and a touch of clove; undertones of candi sugar and lemon

Taste: Starts with the banana and candi sugar flavors; by mid-palate, pears and other light fruits arrive along with a lemony bitterness; after the swallow, the pear and stone fruit flavors build into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Very tasty, with a distinct yeasty character; well made - as good a tripel as you will find

It's been awhile since I've had one of these beauties and when I saw that I hadn't reviewed it... well, here we are. Poured into Unibroue tulip. Poured a lighty hazy straw gold color with a thick, tall, fluffy, white head that had great retention and just the right amount of lacing.

The aroma was great, yeasty, spicy, a hint of fruit and a great grain scent. On the tongue all those aspects were, if possible, amplified. Just what this style should be.

The body is full and well-rounded, without being heavy, cloying, sweet or annoying. Drinkability is, of course, nearly perfect. Crisp, interesting and as refreshing as a 9% brew can be, having several of these gorgeous creatures is easy.

Overall, this is only the second beer I've given all 5's to. Chimay White is one of my top 5 favorite beers and this may be a better example of the style. A serious must try.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

--R.E.M.

Yeast-laden, effervescent, brilliant gold with an expansive, billowy cap of rich, aged ivory. Plenty of BSPAs have this basic appearance, but something about this one strikes me as near perfect as I let bright morning sunlight stream through the window and catch fire in the glass. The head is in too much of a hurry to depart and almost no lace is visible, so I'm forced to curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Definitely a good nose for the style, but I'm not gobsmacked. There's a smidgen less power than anticipated and less complexity as a result. I can appreciate spicy pear and apple fruit with intimations of clove spice. It's hard to say if an actual Belgian yeast strain is in use. If so, it's one of the tamer varieties. The aroma opens up a bit more with warming and becomes more white peppery as well.

Most of the usual style elements are present: orchard fruit, spice and well-integrated alcohol. The beer is sweeter than some with a more subdued spiciness. The word elegant comes to mind. La Fin Du Monde is unquestionably a civilized, mannered version of the style. The thing is, I tend to prefer rabble rousers. I enjoy the flavor, but I find myself wishing that there was more of it and that it would hang around a while longer.

Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle helps a little, but not enough. This is good beer that could be great beer with a tweak or two. The finish is tackysweet and is the capper to a wonderfully lush mouthfeel that is the highlight of this entire experience for me.

La Fin Du Monde is a wonderful effort and is an admirable example of its style. However, it lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and therefore doesn't quite equal the best BSPAs. That said, I'm savoring the final few ounces and I'm definitely feeling fine.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Even a very slow pour will reveal a huge, foamy white head sitting atop this cloudy/golden brew. The maltiness & alcohol are big up front. Earthy notes and a hint of spice give la fin du monde a complex and dry finish. A definite classic out of Quebec.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance – Absolute monster head. The bottle foamed over when I popped the top even though it had been sitting quietly in my fridge for a week. The body is an extremely cloudy example of deep yellow with a hint of orange.

Smell – This is very interesting. The yeast comes out big in the aroma. It is well complimented by various spices, most notabley clove and garlic. There’s also a pleasing lemon scent.

Taste – This is a real heavy hitter. The lemon flavor comes out a little bit more in the taste. The yeast is big and bountiful. The powdery spices take a back seat but are still present. This is an excellent representation of the style.

Mouthfeel – Big, mouth-filling carbonation with this one.

Drinkability – If you like BSPAs, you have to give this one a try. The Unibroue interpretation of this style is interesting indeed. It went down very well and left me wanting for more (I chinced and bought the 12 oz bottle).

Comments – This one had a real hefeweitzen base, but goes off in its own direction rather quickly. An “A” for originality if nothing else. A must try for fans of the style.

Update – I reviewed this shortly after joining the site in Aug ’03 so decided to re-review it with a 2004 vintage. This really is a great example of a BSPA, and now after having reviewed over 200 Belgian Ales I am really able to appreciate the craftsmanship of this particular ale. I’m raising the overall score from 4.3 to 4.5.

Update – The 2005 vintage lacked that explosive head of yesteryear that actually kind of annoyed me but otherwise was just about the same. I really enjoy the unique garlicky character of the aroma. Two thumbs up – a solid 4.5.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: This is by far the lightest (in color and body) of Belgian Strong Darks that have really impressed me. Generally, I like this style big, full, and caliginous. La Fin du Monde on the other hand is a brilliant incandescent gold with a nice amount of lively haze and a super sticky white head.

S: Fetching clementine and banana aromas dominate, followed by cloves and medicinal phenyls.

T: Spicy citrus. Pear and mango enter the mix. Clove flavors continue.

MF: Smooth and creamy with kicking carbonation.

Drinkabity is extreme considering the ABV.

4.04/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets really good reviews and anytime you have a highly hyped drink it can sway your judgement. I wanted to try this because of the recommendations. I'm not swayed on hype, I want results!

Served cold from a bottle in a witbeer glass.

When I first tried this my initial impression was to just judge the taste and no other factors. Just by taste alone it is good. Not great, but good. I'd drink it for sure but it doesn't blow me away. When you look at what's going on with this beer it become a bit more impressive. La Fin Du Monde has 9% abv and I surely couldn't tell that when drinking it initially... but boy will you feel it later on! That is quite impressive to me how they can blend it so perfectly.

LFDM definitely has a nice spice presence to it and it has the pleasant taste of fruits (apples, pear, and a little banana like you would get from a hefe). There's just something missing to me. I think its the mouthfeel. It just feels too liquid to me. I wish it had a thicker presence in the mouth like a good hefe. I think that would elevate it greatly for me. It's a good beer, but overhyped in my opinion. Of course many people may be judging this based on the "stlye" (tripel) and I'm not. I'm judging it as a drink alone. I haven't had many triples to compare it to to be honest but I'm sure its one of the best triples! Expertly blended!

Regardless, another beer tried! I have another Unibroue beer to review in a few days. Hoping for the best! :)

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Golden yellow, very vibrant color with a huge haziness that makes the beer extremely opaque. Very volatile, leaving an enormous, cloudy white head. The nose hits with some cooking spices, cloves, fruits and fruity esters, and a slight medicinal background. The taste follows through with heavy clove and banana up front, all based on the background of warming alcohol. Bubblegum comes through midway, as well as faint grape and orange. As the beer starts to warm up, I could taste some pear and sweet peaches coming out, too. Aftertaste is left with a nice helping of yeast and malty-bready flavors, along with a dash of clove and alcohol.

This is a well done tripel ale. Balanced extremely well and fairly complex - load of fruits and esters can be picked out of this one. Sweet, without being too sweet, and fairly mild on the palate for a 9% ABV brew. Bravo.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Hazy yellow color with a rather big ivory-colored head that stays on for a while and leaves a nice lid of lacings.

S: A fine-tuned smell, complex with every piece at its place. Some gentle clove-like spices mix with pleasant fruit aromas of mostly tangerines and lemon peel. The wheat and fragile malts provide a nice clean background. Quite a lot of phenols and some alcohol. When tripels showcase smells like this, they are really great. Clean, refreshing and complex. Well balanced. (As a note, you could almost feel the gas in the nose from the carbonation in this one).

T: Gentle spices (mostly cloves) and fruit esters of tangerine, pear and lemon peel lead the way to a nice semi-sharp malt and wheat character. It's a kind of sweet taste, but the spices act as a good counterweight. Bread crumbs, grass and a mild taste of earthy yeast. The wheat gets a little more pronounced towards the end, resulting in that semi-tart taste sometimes noticeable in wheaty beers. The finish holds some notes of herbal alcohol, phenols, a gentle spicy hop bite and bitterness and lingering fruity notes. In general, a complex and well balanced taste.

M: Moderate body, nice slick mouthfeel with a generous amount of lively carbonation.

D: Tripels are probably my least favorite style of the high ABV Belgian styles, but I think I can go as far as saying that this is one of the best tripels I've ever had. Complex and balanced, yet with plenty of that Belgian edginess. This one is really easy to drink, but deserves to be sipped and savored at a gentle pace.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Reviewed from notes on 8/28/10 with BuckyFresh and TCGoalie. Thanks for the bottle, Bucky!

A: Pours a light gold with a pure white, 1 finger head into a snifter. The carbonation and color combine to give this beer a highly effervescent and glittery look. The lacing is good and reminds me of spindly tree limbs.

S: A cornucopia of fruits and spices reside in the smell of this beer. Lots of spicy Belgian yeast, lemon, lemongrass, prickly pear, pepper, golden delicious apples, clove, mineral water, and numerous other aromas waft out of the glass. This smell is fresh, fresh, fresh, and sings of a golden, dewy spring morning. Warning: Do not suck this beer into your nostrils. It feels very uncomfortable.

T: The dominant taste in my mouth is lemon. This is backed by grassiness and a peppery zing. Spicy yeast and fresh pear also grace my palate. This is a very bright and shiny taste which wears on my palate a bit as time slip slides away. In all, though, it is pretty well balanced with a nice emphasis on the spicy yeast.

M: Nicely clean and tingly on my mouth. However, it was a little thin and watery for the style and quite bright on my palate.

D: The bomber split three ways was probably enough for me. I enjoyed it very much but the brightness and faux sweetness of the taste was pretty wearing on my palate. This will be a once in awhile treat for me.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a chalice

LOOK (4.5/5) This poured a darker golden color with some orange tones when held up to the light. It was a little more opaque than some other beers of the style, particularly the Westmalle. However, I think this was a really nice venue for the rich color. The only flaw in this category, I think was the brew's white head that rose quickly, dominated by larger bubbles than I would have liked, only to fade at a somewhat disappointing rate.

SMELL (4.5/5) The smell was initially dominated by the yeasty esters and phenols. The bouquet was pretty fruity, but was followed quickly by some deep spicy overtones and some citrus. There was also a nice wheatiness to the smell.

FLAVOUR (4/5) As with the smell, the beginning was dominated by the sweet fruitiness, which was balanced nicely with some very subtle malt flavors. The only problem here is that the brew took a quick turn towards the harsh alcoholic flavour before the yeast spices overpower that. Some great warming, not too hot.

FEEL (5/5) Very effervescent on the tip of the tongue in the initial taste (almost reminiscent of the more carbonated Belgian Ales, like Duvel in this respect). This transitions to a wonderful fullness as it washes to the back of the mouth. This balances the spiciness of the esters.

DRINK (4/5) super tasty and very drinkable - its dangerous because of it.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- deep golden with a dense white head, good retention.

S- Compact aroma. Lemon, clove, grains of paridise, white pepper, apple.

T- Clean yeastiness, subtle coriander, pinot grigio. Simple orangey citrus notes that integrate nicely. Alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Perfect carbonation, delicate with a light crisp touch.

D- This beer is about as easy to drink as any beer i've had. I always forget how good this is.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

La Fin Du Monde. Very nice name for a great Canadian beer made Belgian style triple.

A- A very solid orange color with nice head and decent retention. Thick hue of un-filtered sediment shows. Note: When beer is celler temp leaves some lacing.

S- Highly yeasty, malty, and wheaty smell dominates the nose. Mild hop scents are noticed.

T- Complex flavor overload that consist of mainly alcohol esters, wheat, spices, and malt.
I could never begin to explain the massive taste this beer packs.

M-D- First is a dry astringent feel on the mouth from the alcohol esters followed by a smooth finish that let the taste buds know it means business. Drinkablity is great. I plan to buying a larger amount next time.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep gold with a white head. Excellent formation and retention. some lacing remains.

S: Bold aroma profile--yeasty and fruity, with scents of orange peel and some spiceyness as well. there is a nice mellow sweet fruity toffee aroma as well that is very good.

T: Banana, pears, clove, lemon grass. Wheaty malt holds strong before drying out on the finish. Mild hops provide a spicy grass character

M: Smooth and easy to drink with only moderate carbonation

O: My favorite tripel by far, don't know why it took my so long to try this brew but I'm glad I did. It's awesome that it's so easy to get too!

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Poured into a snifter, a huge head appears with vigorous carbonation. Head recedes quickly. Appears almost champagne-like.

Aroma: Musty, farm yard aroma typical of the Belgians. Spicy, notes of coriander, almost bubblegum smell (possibly from the addition of Belgian candi sugar). Delicious aroma...

Taste: Delicious! Spicy, hay-like, farmy Belgian flavor. Very full flavored. Sharp & tangy, and finished clean on the palette. At 9% ABV, alcohol very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp & clean. Really smooth for the high ABV%. Very high carbonation gives the impression of champagne or sparkling wine.

Drinkability: Very, very drinkable! I have a weak spot for this Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Easy drinking, smooth & clean.

Comments: Excellently crafted! This is my favorite beer at this time. Awesome. Very well balanced & flavorful. High ABV hidden with finesse behind the wonderful flavors. This is truly a delicious Belgian-style beer from Unibroue...

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Straw colored with some golden hues, quite cloudy. Nice head that fades to a covering even with the high level of carbonation.

S - Belgian twang, yeasty, sweet fruit, a touch of spice, this is what a tripel should smell like.

T - Much like the aroma, start with a acidic but sweet fruit flavor, quickly followed by some spice and a bread like character from the yeast. Ends with a nice touch of alcohol as it goes down.

M - Crisp feel both because of the high carbonation and alcohol, light body and a bit warming. Remains refreshing even with the high alcohol content.

O - This isn't from Belgium? They have nailed the Tripel style. An absolute staple if you are a fan of Belgian style beers.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

It's taken me long enough to get around to this one and I'm glad I did! This one poured a nice light golden color with a slight haze and great carbonation bubbles. The head was very thick and frothy and managed to stay around till the last sip. The smell was very fruity and spicy due to the belgian yeast. The taste was outstanding with large pinapple notes and peppery spice mixed with a near perfect carbonation level that made for a great experience. If you are a fan of Belgian beers this one is defiantly worth a try!

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle

Appearance: Pale golden color with a thin white, quickly fading head.

Smell: Aroma is malty with a presence of ripe fruit. A slight yeasty bread smell with a faint alcoholic odor.

Taste: A malty, yeasty flavor mixed with dark fruit flavors (plum & dates). Alcohol can be easily tasted, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but maybe a little bit overcarbonated. A lighter body than expected with a smooth slightly dry finish.

Overall this is a great brew. A very good representation of the Triple style. This is definitely one of my favorite belgian style ales.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a murky gold color. Smells of yeast and citrus. Taste is very nice, with the alcohol well hidden. Citrus flavors emerge, as well as some spices (clove?). There's a touch of lemon, but softer, like a meringue. The mouthfeel seems a little syrupy, but not at all bad.

This is a darn good beer. While I would normally drink something maltier and darker on such a bitterly cold night, the higher ABV (while not noticible) of this one warmed me up fine. A very tasty brew indeed, one that I wil definitely be having again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle pours into my glass a hazy golden yellow with a massive three finger head of creamy foam that billows up in the glass. Super fast moving active carbonation rushes up the side. Seems a tad bit over carbonated. Aromas start with spicy grains and light fruity aromas as well. Banana and apple are present along with clove and pepper. Earthy yeastiness about it. Quite robust, it almost smells creamy. Nice.

First sip brings a malty sweetness upfront that quickly give way to a ton of spicy, fruity flavors. Banana notes mingle with clove and pepper accents. The house yeast really shines through here with an earthy aspect to it as well. Flows down and finishes with peach and lemon accents, quite creamy with only a hint of alcohol. Tasty triple.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good creaminess. Carbonation is quite fast paced as it rushes down with each sip. Overall, a very enjoyable triple that also packs a bit of a punch as well. A couple bottles and I'd be feeling quite nice.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

I've had this one around for a while now, over a year and a half. I always thought I had reviewed it but I guess I hadn't. Belgian Pales are finally starting to come around for me, typically this hasn't been my favorite style.

Appearance is a light, golden color. Almost light yellow. Poured a little too much off and resulted in plenty of yeast floaties in its clear body. Huge pure white head on the pour. Reduced quickly but left a nice half inch foam cap on the top. Left a nice coating of solid lace in my glass.

Smell is spicy and sweet. Corriander and white pepper predominate with some subtle citrus smells, a bit of orange rind and some pear. Typical for the style, but simple and clean in this example.

Solid malty body to start with, a bit earthy actually. Some citrus and light fruits come in next, pear and apple, followed with a bit of light spice. Finish is grassy with some straw. My guess is that the bit of age this has brought out the maltiness over the already light hops and spiciness. This is still a nicely balanced beer though.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium. Most likely it is heavier than it appears, there is a fair amount of carbonation which makes this crisp on the tongue, but weakens the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is okay. Like I said, I'm not a huge belgian pale fan, but this one comes across nicely balanced and well flavored. The prickly feel on the tongue and stomach warming nature hurt this a bit. I just think that a clean, light flavor natured beer with a lot of carbonation shouldn't feel heavy on the stomach.

to view more.