La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Reviews by eze153:
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

This is an amazing beer... I had this one on tap at D's Six Pack and Dogz, Check this place out if you live in Pittsburgh... anyways...

It pours a golden brown color with a light, fluffy, sort-of white, brown head.
the smell is great, like fruits, nuts and spices, sort of reminds me of Christmas! The taste is beyond expectations, simply put, the best belgin beer brewed outside Belgium! Now that's saying a lot and the price is nice too, compared to the expensive imports from Belgium. I could drink these all the time but they can fil you up pretty fast but I would recomend this to anyone who wants to try a good beer!

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

--R.E.M.

Yeast-laden, effervescent, brilliant gold with an expansive, billowy cap of rich, aged ivory. Plenty of BSPAs have this basic appearance, but something about this one strikes me as near perfect as I let bright morning sunlight stream through the window and catch fire in the glass. The head is in too much of a hurry to depart and almost no lace is visible, so I'm forced to curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Definitely a good nose for the style, but I'm not gobsmacked. There's a smidgen less power than anticipated and less complexity as a result. I can appreciate spicy pear and apple fruit with intimations of clove spice. It's hard to say if an actual Belgian yeast strain is in use. If so, it's one of the tamer varieties. The aroma opens up a bit more with warming and becomes more white peppery as well.

Most of the usual style elements are present: orchard fruit, spice and well-integrated alcohol. The beer is sweeter than some with a more subdued spiciness. The word elegant comes to mind. La Fin Du Monde is unquestionably a civilized, mannered version of the style. The thing is, I tend to prefer rabble rousers. I enjoy the flavor, but I find myself wishing that there was more of it and that it would hang around a while longer.

Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle helps a little, but not enough. This is good beer that could be great beer with a tweak or two. The finish is tackysweet and is the capper to a wonderfully lush mouthfeel that is the highlight of this entire experience for me.

La Fin Du Monde is a wonderful effort and is an admirable example of its style. However, it lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and therefore doesn't quite equal the best BSPAs. That said, I'm savoring the final few ounces and I'm definitely feeling fine.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Even a very slow pour will reveal a huge, foamy white head sitting atop this cloudy/golden brew. The maltiness & alcohol are big up front. Earthy notes and a hint of spice give la fin du monde a complex and dry finish. A definite classic out of Quebec.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A dangerous combination of delicious and strong. This is the most drinkable strong ale I've ever tasted. I would sometime like to sit down and drink three of these in a sitting.

Pours a hazy gold with a good-sized fluffy white head. Smells and tastes amazing; citric, fruity, spicy and yeasty! I'd put a Fin du Monde air freshener in my room if there were such a thing.

Amazingly smooth. This is my favorite in its category, and one of my favorite three beers... ever!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance – Absolute monster head. The bottle foamed over when I popped the top even though it had been sitting quietly in my fridge for a week. The body is an extremely cloudy example of deep yellow with a hint of orange.

Smell – This is very interesting. The yeast comes out big in the aroma. It is well complimented by various spices, most notabley clove and garlic. There’s also a pleasing lemon scent.

Taste – This is a real heavy hitter. The lemon flavor comes out a little bit more in the taste. The yeast is big and bountiful. The powdery spices take a back seat but are still present. This is an excellent representation of the style.

Mouthfeel – Big, mouth-filling carbonation with this one.

Drinkability – If you like BSPAs, you have to give this one a try. The Unibroue interpretation of this style is interesting indeed. It went down very well and left me wanting for more (I chinced and bought the 12 oz bottle).

Comments – This one had a real hefeweitzen base, but goes off in its own direction rather quickly. An “A” for originality if nothing else. A must try for fans of the style.

Update – I reviewed this shortly after joining the site in Aug ’03 so decided to re-review it with a 2004 vintage. This really is a great example of a BSPA, and now after having reviewed over 200 Belgian Ales I am really able to appreciate the craftsmanship of this particular ale. I’m raising the overall score from 4.3 to 4.5.

Update – The 2005 vintage lacked that explosive head of yesteryear that actually kind of annoyed me but otherwise was just about the same. I really enjoy the unique garlicky character of the aroma. Two thumbs up – a solid 4.5.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: This is by far the lightest (in color and body) of Belgian Strong Darks that have really impressed me. Generally, I like this style big, full, and caliginous. La Fin du Monde on the other hand is a brilliant incandescent gold with a nice amount of lively haze and a super sticky white head.

S: Fetching clementine and banana aromas dominate, followed by cloves and medicinal phenyls.

T: Spicy citrus. Pear and mango enter the mix. Clove flavors continue.

MF: Smooth and creamy with kicking carbonation.

Drinkabity is extreme considering the ABV.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets really good reviews and anytime you have a highly hyped drink it can sway your judgement. I wanted to try this because of the recommendations. I'm not swayed on hype, I want results!

Served cold from a bottle in a witbeer glass.

When I first tried this my initial impression was to just judge the taste and no other factors. Just by taste alone it is good. Not great, but good. I'd drink it for sure but it doesn't blow me away. When you look at what's going on with this beer it become a bit more impressive. La Fin Du Monde has 9% abv and I surely couldn't tell that when drinking it initially... but boy will you feel it later on! That is quite impressive to me how they can blend it so perfectly.

LFDM definitely has a nice spice presence to it and it has the pleasant taste of fruits (apples, pear, and a little banana like you would get from a hefe). There's just something missing to me. I think its the mouthfeel. It just feels too liquid to me. I wish it had a thicker presence in the mouth like a good hefe. I think that would elevate it greatly for me. It's a good beer, but overhyped in my opinion. Of course many people may be judging this based on the "stlye" (tripel) and I'm not. I'm judging it as a drink alone. I haven't had many triples to compare it to to be honest but I'm sure its one of the best triples! Expertly blended!

Regardless, another beer tried! I have another Unibroue beer to review in a few days. Hoping for the best! :)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Golden yellow, very vibrant color with a huge haziness that makes the beer extremely opaque. Very volatile, leaving an enormous, cloudy white head. The nose hits with some cooking spices, cloves, fruits and fruity esters, and a slight medicinal background. The taste follows through with heavy clove and banana up front, all based on the background of warming alcohol. Bubblegum comes through midway, as well as faint grape and orange. As the beer starts to warm up, I could taste some pear and sweet peaches coming out, too. Aftertaste is left with a nice helping of yeast and malty-bready flavors, along with a dash of clove and alcohol.

This is a well done tripel ale. Balanced extremely well and fairly complex - load of fruits and esters can be picked out of this one. Sweet, without being too sweet, and fairly mild on the palate for a 9% ABV brew. Bravo.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Hazy yellow color with a rather big ivory-colored head that stays on for a while and leaves a nice lid of lacings.

S: A fine-tuned smell, complex with every piece at its place. Some gentle clove-like spices mix with pleasant fruit aromas of mostly tangerines and lemon peel. The wheat and fragile malts provide a nice clean background. Quite a lot of phenols and some alcohol. When tripels showcase smells like this, they are really great. Clean, refreshing and complex. Well balanced. (As a note, you could almost feel the gas in the nose from the carbonation in this one).

T: Gentle spices (mostly cloves) and fruit esters of tangerine, pear and lemon peel lead the way to a nice semi-sharp malt and wheat character. It's a kind of sweet taste, but the spices act as a good counterweight. Bread crumbs, grass and a mild taste of earthy yeast. The wheat gets a little more pronounced towards the end, resulting in that semi-tart taste sometimes noticeable in wheaty beers. The finish holds some notes of herbal alcohol, phenols, a gentle spicy hop bite and bitterness and lingering fruity notes. In general, a complex and well balanced taste.

M: Moderate body, nice slick mouthfeel with a generous amount of lively carbonation.

D: Tripels are probably my least favorite style of the high ABV Belgian styles, but I think I can go as far as saying that this is one of the best tripels I've ever had. Complex and balanced, yet with plenty of that Belgian edginess. This one is really easy to drink, but deserves to be sipped and savored at a gentle pace.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed from notes on 8/28/10 with BuckyFresh and TCGoalie. Thanks for the bottle, Bucky!

A: Pours a light gold with a pure white, 1 finger head into a snifter. The carbonation and color combine to give this beer a highly effervescent and glittery look. The lacing is good and reminds me of spindly tree limbs.

S: A cornucopia of fruits and spices reside in the smell of this beer. Lots of spicy Belgian yeast, lemon, lemongrass, prickly pear, pepper, golden delicious apples, clove, mineral water, and numerous other aromas waft out of the glass. This smell is fresh, fresh, fresh, and sings of a golden, dewy spring morning. Warning: Do not suck this beer into your nostrils. It feels very uncomfortable.

T: The dominant taste in my mouth is lemon. This is backed by grassiness and a peppery zing. Spicy yeast and fresh pear also grace my palate. This is a very bright and shiny taste which wears on my palate a bit as time slip slides away. In all, though, it is pretty well balanced with a nice emphasis on the spicy yeast.

M: Nicely clean and tingly on my mouth. However, it was a little thin and watery for the style and quite bright on my palate.

D: The bomber split three ways was probably enough for me. I enjoyed it very much but the brightness and faux sweetness of the taste was pretty wearing on my palate. This will be a once in awhile treat for me.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a chalice

LOOK (4.5/5) This poured a darker golden color with some orange tones when held up to the light. It was a little more opaque than some other beers of the style, particularly the Westmalle. However, I think this was a really nice venue for the rich color. The only flaw in this category, I think was the brew's white head that rose quickly, dominated by larger bubbles than I would have liked, only to fade at a somewhat disappointing rate.

SMELL (4.5/5) The smell was initially dominated by the yeasty esters and phenols. The bouquet was pretty fruity, but was followed quickly by some deep spicy overtones and some citrus. There was also a nice wheatiness to the smell.

FLAVOUR (4/5) As with the smell, the beginning was dominated by the sweet fruitiness, which was balanced nicely with some very subtle malt flavors. The only problem here is that the brew took a quick turn towards the harsh alcoholic flavour before the yeast spices overpower that. Some great warming, not too hot.

FEEL (5/5) Very effervescent on the tip of the tongue in the initial taste (almost reminiscent of the more carbonated Belgian Ales, like Duvel in this respect). This transitions to a wonderful fullness as it washes to the back of the mouth. This balances the spiciness of the esters.

DRINK (4/5) super tasty and very drinkable - its dangerous because of it.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- deep golden with a dense white head, good retention.

S- Compact aroma. Lemon, clove, grains of paridise, white pepper, apple.

T- Clean yeastiness, subtle coriander, pinot grigio. Simple orangey citrus notes that integrate nicely. Alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Perfect carbonation, delicate with a light crisp touch.

D- This beer is about as easy to drink as any beer i've had. I always forget how good this is.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue