2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,112 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
bewareOFpenguin

This beer should be outlawed. It pours nice, leaves no sediment. No hint of the alcohol content in the first taste, last taste, or any taste in between. You can taste every ingrediate in it. It is crisp, light, and the best ale hands down. I found only one bar in town that serves it. I find myself there at least twice a week. Be warned! This is the crack of beers. All else will seem pale in comparison. They better have this in heaven.

09-27-2002 08:44:15 | More by bewareOFpenguin
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

Went to a bar called "Brude." They had this on cask, and I knew I must try it. Oh Lordy, just beautiful. Dark gold hue, yeast sediment and a perfect head. The smell teases you, letting you know this is not just any beer, this is nectar. Beautiful, full bodied taste. Malty, nice bitter hops, fruity ester dances across your tongue in some sort of mystical ballet. Smooth, heavy mouthfeel that leaves you always wanting more, more, more. If their ever was a time I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Serving type: cask

07-31-2003 01:31:42 | More by slitherySOB
Sixpack595

The first time I had this was in a dive selling all their oddball beers for a buck! Out of the bottle I though it was good, I saw the ABV, I thought it was great. Later I found a fresh 750ml and tried it out of the proper glass... OMFG, this beer is perfect!

Popping the top you get a whiff of green apples and a puff of gunsmoke. Pouring this incredable beer results in a slightly hazy body crowned by a creamy mound of white foam. Sweet and fruity with apples and pairs in the begining a perfectly balanced bitterness give a dry, spicy finish. With a moderatly full mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, and peppery finish this beer even feels good to drink. At 9% this beer is no joke, but it hides it so well.

02-25-2004 08:31:00 | More by Sixpack595
Morris729

Saved for my 500th Review.
Pours a hazy golden sunrise color with a tremendous towering white head that slowly dissipates in chunks leaving a rocky lace and spider webs across the glass. Nose is lots of fruity esters with notes of banana, clove, bubblegum, and a bit of spicy alcohol. Fairly full in body with a very fine champagne-like carbonation that is oh so smooth. Taste begins with a good deal of fruitiness (nectarine, pear, peach, mango, and white grape) and flowery honey blended with peppery clove. Next comes some powdery yeasts and a bit of bready malt followed by a touch of drying alcohol (which, considering the 9% ABV, is very well hidden indeed). The End of the World—the flagship beer from one of the world’s finest breweries, and one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious.

03-17-2004 02:53:19 | More by Morris729
Hop2it

Oh sweet mercy, this looks delicious. Perfect bright solid white head of tight foamy bubbles. Semi opaque yellow/orange body. Tiny carbonation bubbles vigarously racing to the top, with no signs of stopping.

Smells tart and estery like a Wit. Orange rind bouquet of citrus aromas.

This is wonderful - completely wraps my tongue around in a soft velvety balanket of hoppy goodness. Carbonation dances, alcohol heats things up, solid malt profile gives just the right amount of body, but it's the hops that take this baby over the edge with perfect bitterness.

I forgot to mention the yeast. It adds so much to the flavor and smell. Estery, spicy, sweet and bitter. There is just so much going on it's hard to divide my attention to the complexity of this.

I generally have reservations about giving a beer all 5s - but not tonight. This is really that good. The second pour of the 750ml bottle is slightly warmer, allowing the flavor to expand and enunciate the delicate intricacies of its flavor.

If you read this and think that there is another Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is better, please beermail me.

10-26-2005 01:38:15 | More by Hop2it
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

This is a special review actually, the sampling was done at my house and some BA's were also there, Goldorak, Gordero and Bubbabeerbacon.

Big mucho thanko to Bubba's connection that was able to bring us a Fin du monde aged 10 years directly from Unibroue's cellar! And this was wonderfull. Here the review.

Very cloudy deep golden beer, with a good medium head that fought her way to stay alive.

Citrus nose that comes out of that beer with some sort of sourness, actually it was like some Saison.

Taste was very citrus like, with some rich fruity flavors with a shy sourness end. Then the beer brings a nice sweety flavours reminding us of Ice Cidre, and no Unibroue's yeast flavors were present.

Superb experience!

03-18-2006 07:49:25 | More by 3Vandoo
KeithPatton

I found this brew (suprise, surprise!) at the local neighborhood HEB supermarket. It was not surprise that when I went back they had sold out. Duvel and Chimay drinkers take note, there is a new kid on the block and his Reggie...whoops wrong review...

The bottle is striking and the Quebec nationalism hits you in the face like a handfull of yeast sediment. If your french is rusty, the name translates to "End of the Earth". This could be interpreted a number of ways; Quebec is literally at the end of the Earth or you'd have to go to the End of the Earth to find a better beer. I think the latter is appropriate. I liked the beer so much I wasted no time in cloning it. That of course requried that I buy several more bottles to harvest the yeast. (Word of note to homebrewers, the yeast is very agressive so have plenty of space in your carboy or you will have a problem. I dry hopped mine with a bit more orange peel than called for and it clogged my blow off tube and I got a call from home (Houston, we have a problem...) it seems the stopper, blow off tube and several ounces of peel and yeast were blown onto the ceiling and surrounding real estate. However the beer was splendid, although with no candy sugar it was minus the tremendous head. Now on to the beer.

This beer was splendid. From the huge rocky shaving cream head, to the wonderful orangey, estery aroma it shouted drink me. (Caution, do not mow the yard in the Houston heat, then gulp one of these 22oz babies down or you will have a hangover in short order.) The ale bursts in your mouth like a fruity explosion, only dampened by the mild alcohol warmth as it slides down your gullet like a soothing balm. You just can't stop. 22ozs disappears in no time. Buy the big one for yourself and a 6 pack of 12 ozers because you will not want to share the large bottle with anyone. The mouth feel was wonderful and even with it's prodigious alcohol content, you'll down this brew greedily like an overpass dwelling wino. Unibue have outdone themselves.
Warning: If you haven't tried Belgian Style Ales and do not want to pay the high price demanded for them ($8.00), Do not try this beer as it is highly addictive!

08-21-2006 13:41:49 | More by KeithPatton
jasonjlewis

Appearance: Great head and retention. Head was huge.
Smell: Smells of apples, very nice firm smell. Very very apealing
taste: Smooth, crisp, apple and fruity esters going on. Oh man, this beer is heaven. 9% alcohol? drinks like a 5 or 6 %. WOW
Mouthfeel: Crisp, especially for an ale. very refreshing.
Drinkability: One of the easiest beers to drink ever. WOW!

This is the epitome of a great beer. I don't think it could get any better. WOW!

10-01-2006 07:28:33 | More by jasonjlewis
Romulus141

Nebraska

Poured into a large wine glass (to approximate a chalice)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy white amber. It looks a bit like a hefe-weizen in appearance. There is a nice, fluffy white head on the top with excellent retention. Lacing remains on the edges of this glass. I can also see carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the brew.

Smell: A sweet, citrus smell first hits my nostrils, followed by the spicy, doughy character found in a good Belgian beer. There are hints of all spice as well. The smell is well defined and pleasant. It gives a great hint as to what the taste will be like.

Taste: The taste begins quite spicy, and gives way to a light, raisin-like sweetness. The sweetness is quite strong and resembles some of the best Belgian beers out there. The beer then finishes with a hoppy bitterness which excellently balances out the sweet and spicy nature of this brew. I can also detect some banana and citrus overtones as well. This is a wonderfully complex ale, and the alcohol is perfectly masked. This ranks among one of the best beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, which is an awesome counterbalance to the well-defined flavor of the ale. There is some light carbonation that gives it a nice little kick on the finish. The balance between flavor and a light body is amazing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. It may be rich, but it's much too good to put down. This is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Watch out for the ABV, which is 9%. It can catch up with you quite quick.

This is highly recommended, and it is laudable that this Belgian-styled brew is from Canada of all places. This sample is the second 750 ml bottle I've purchased, and I know that I will reach for this again some time.

09-13-2007 02:22:27 | More by Romulus141
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

Man, this is some good beer. I picked up a four pack that 'expires' two years from now. It pours a very cloudy and dark blonde with a moderate head that disappears rather quickly. It left some lacing that looks nice on the glass. Smells and tastes fruity sweet with mild spice. It feels light in the mouth and a little bubbly. It goes down dangerously smooth and the flavor lingers for quite some time. I can't imagine myself enjoying a beer much more than I enjoyed this one. I had planned on drinking one but it was so damn good that I drank three, then fell into a wonderful comatose sleep. I will be buying more of this.

08-21-2008 11:40:53 | More by mtbbaboon
MarcGetty

Drinking La Fun Du Monde will have you feeling fin-tasktic and fin-taboulous! It is truly an exceptional beer that is difficult not to love.

Long before my 2002-era craft beer enlightenment I had heard of this beer being available in Canada from friends and how it was absolutely awful. Some time in 2002 or 2003 I tried it for myself and thought that I may need to get new friends as the beer I tried was exceptional!

The beer has all of the typical characteristics of a Belgian Golden Ale - light in color, bright crisp taste, very effervescent and high in alcohol. The head is perfect - light but not too much.

Available in both 12oz and 750ml bottles, I usually choose the 750ml bottles myself. Many a night has Fin put a smile on my face!

10-12-2008 17:24:07 | More by MarcGetty
rdickey

Appearance: Pours a pale cloudy gold into a tulip. Rocky white two-finger head lingers.

Smell: Outstanding - there's a lot going on here. Floral notes hit me first, followed by a nice balance of fruit, spice and hops.

Taste: Again, simply outstanding. There's a lot going on and it all works perfectly together. I get fruit and spice first, followed immediately by mild hop bitterness. Warming alcohol rounds it out, but it's not a flaw at all - in fact, it's quite pleasant. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Relatively high carbonation, which works nicely with this beer.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable despite the high ABV, because everything just works so well together. I'm not sure what the right analogy is - is this the Porsche 911 of beers? That honor should probably go to a German brew, of course. In any event, I have made this beer a part of my regular rotation, and have nicknamed it "Fin du Week" because I like to reward myself with one on Friday (and I don't speak French).

11-02-2008 00:32:46 | More by rdickey
beeroverwineguy

S= Served from the bottle with cork (that is the only way I will drink this beer)

A= Appearance is exceptionally pleasing to the the eye that
reaches deep down into one's soul

S= Smell is pleasing to your senses and floral in nature that will surprise your willingness to smell your brew each time before tasting.

T=Taste is like champagne on holistic and natural steroids that will invite your palate to heights of appreciation that you never even knew existed. You will neveer want to drink cheap beer without the full bodied flavor that comes from a triple fermented brew.

M=Mouthfeel is of a well balanced, orchestrated dance troop of synchronized beautifully ensembled beauties that tintilate and explore the deepest recesses of each and every taste bud on the surface of your tongue.

D= Drinkability of this wonderfully, well balanced, gift from God is incredibly delightful and rewarding to your sense of thankfulness for God's gift to mankind to possess the privelege of creating such a blessing of a brew.

P.S. Drink responsibly, drink at home.

03-10-2009 06:53:38 | More by beeroverwineguy
skinny0ne

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted.

04-04-2009 01:00:33 | More by skinny0ne
aphor

First I have to remind drinkers that Belgian ales have a sediment of yeast which contains a lot of the flavor potential in the beer. How you pour it makes a huge difference in what kind of cloudiness the beer will exhibit and what kind of flavor you will taste.

Second I have to remind folks about temperature. There's an even greater spectrum of aromas and flavors depending upon the temperature of the beer when it's served.

I highly recommend, assuming you bought this because you like Belgian ales, turning your bottle upside down before opening and gently swirling the bubble of air around the bottle's botom to guarantee every bit of sediment is suspended in the drink before you pour it. Hold the bottle up to a light source as you do this to make sure you're swirling vigorously enough but gently enough that the air bubble does not break up into a foam inside the bottle.

I also recommend serving this beer at the warmish temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit. You will get a richer head on pour, and the flavors will be very rich and varied.

From this baseline, experiment with colder (or warmer) temperatures, and pour the glass from a bottle that has completely settled, stopping before any of the cloudiness has hit the glass.

Experimenting with the four extremes of cold/warm cloudy/clear will consume a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles. This will give you a range of the flavors you should expect from this beer. Probably all Belgian ales, especially Tripels, will have a lot more to offer with this knowledge.

Knowing what to expect, I am impressed with the pleasant experience of this beer served cold/clear, cold/cloudy, warm/clear, warm/cloudy.

Caveat: if you don't read the label about the alcohol content, you will be surprised. Ironically I think I tasted the alcohol more in the cleaner, slightly bitter body of the cold/clear pour. The sediment provides flavors that mask the alcohol, and warmth seems to potentiate those other flavors more than the alcocol.

05-03-2009 03:45:31 | More by aphor
smanders

Appearance - Cloudy amber with a pillowy head.

Smell - Fruit, clove, grains. Wonderful!

Taste - Wow! The lightness and sweetness of fruit blended perfectly with the punch of the alcohol (although you wouldn't guess it's as high as it is). Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel - crisp and yet still a little drying.

Drinkabilty - Very high! This beer is appropriately named. If the end of the world was coming I would be consuming with reckless abandon.

05-22-2009 12:50:26 | More by smanders
thezenkeeper

Iowa

Great golden color with a nice head. Has a strong deep flavor with lots of yeast and a bit of spice to it. Nice fruity bouquet. Has just the right ammount of carbanation, has a great mouthfeel. Just a great beer in every aspect. Has little alcohol flavor, even though it has a 9% ABV.

08-09-2009 13:46:51 | More by thezenkeeper
josefnewsong

Possibly my favorite beer.

A - Light gold, slightly cloudy with beautiful head.

S - Very yeasty, slightly fruity, and a meadow of flowers...complex and intriguing

T - Amazing. Very yeasty with light fruit flavors and very slight alcohol (especially for 9%)

M - Light and carbonated but sooo creamy with the head. Perfect.

D - DAAAANGEROUSLY drinkable.

If you want a beer that your girlfriend will enjoy almost as much as you do, buy this beer. Then buy it again, and again. It's that good. I like to drink it from a fluted champagne glass for amazing head retention.

EDIT: I just ordered this at the Tap again, thinking maybe I shouldn't have given it all fives...until I drank it. I just can't find a flaw in this beer. Blows my mind every time.

11-24-2009 04:37:00 | More by josefnewsong
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

This is hands down the best brew I have ever had! If I could create the same recipe and fermentation process, I am sure I would be a millionaire.

Poured from a 750mL bottle under compression with a cork topper into a tulip flared glass. The colouration is pale yellow and the head white, predominant throughout the enjoyment, which was light, fluffy and thick at the same time.

Aroma is fruity, mildly yeasty and citrus notes are apparent. Mild, and I mean mild hoppiness is present.

The taste is unparalleled! Wonderful characters of honey and of all things a sense of birch bark, wintergreen, dog grass, ginger, juniper, licorice, sarsaparilla, yucca and cherrita.

The palate is excited with the chewey feel of the brew and non-overpowering feel of the higher alcohol.

Very easy to drink, yet the alcohol can hit you, like a bottle of VQA chardonnay. But, this brew is exceptional to a connoisseur or the lay person. It truly is wonderful to enjoy a taste or a bottle.

Cheers!

04-16-2010 19:40:34 | More by Bestuurder
Hampton77

I'm no professional, but I simply had to speak my mind on this one.

This brew pours a light golden color with a decent head, settles to a nice lace that lasts the rest of the way through the glass.

The smell is fascinating. Balanced fruitiness with a little something wild and maybe even hoppy. Not sure how to describe my intrigue.

Taste is beyond expectation. Again wild and yet smooth. The fruitiness carries through followed by flashes of bitter then earthy finishing with an almost cleansing alcohol. I can't believe how drinkable this huge and complex brew really is. I just wish I had the words to describe everything it has to offer.

I would not recommend this beer to most of my non-ba friends as it would simply overwhelm the uninitiated. Edging quickly toward the top of my list.

06-15-2010 22:22:28 | More by Hampton77
beertunes

Washington

It's been awhile since I've had one of these beauties and when I saw that I hadn't reviewed it... well, here we are. Poured into Unibroue tulip. Poured a lighty hazy straw gold color with a thick, tall, fluffy, white head that had great retention and just the right amount of lacing.

The aroma was great, yeasty, spicy, a hint of fruit and a great grain scent. On the tongue all those aspects were, if possible, amplified. Just what this style should be.

The body is full and well-rounded, without being heavy, cloying, sweet or annoying. Drinkability is, of course, nearly perfect. Crisp, interesting and as refreshing as a 9% brew can be, having several of these gorgeous creatures is easy.

Overall, this is only the second beer I've given all 5's to. Chimay White is one of my top 5 favorite beers and this may be a better example of the style. A serious must try.

07-06-2010 22:02:55 | More by beertunes
bluesfan1181

Missouri

All I can say about this beer is WOW!!! This is the best tripel and one of the best beers I have ever had. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, best before 3-3-13, into a Delirium Tremens globe.

A - Pours a beautiful 3 finger head that retains very well. Has
a pretty golden/amber color that's cloudy with yeast
particles.

S - Has a noticeable alcohol smell with that of cloves and spice
notes. Also has a banana aroma.

T - Taste spicy yet, mellow, with a fruity complex to it. An
alcohol taste is also present.

M - Very smooth on the palate with mild carbonation.

D - This one of the most drinkable beers I have ever drank.
Even with the high ABV of 9%, it goes down smooth.

I will drink this beer anytime, anywhere. It is a masterpiece of brewing excellence. I think most beer snobs like me would agree.

07-25-2010 01:00:27 | More by bluesfan1181
hmf05

Before I begin, I must say that this is truly one of the top 10 beers in the world

A: There is a nice 3 finger, white creamy head. A beautiful cloudy orange color and you cannot see anything through it thanks to the wonderful bottle conditioning.

S: Peach, pineapple, pear, clove/coriander, belgian yeast

M: Well carbonated and surprisingly creamy

T: Exactly like the smell. Tons of ripe fruit. I get mostly peach and pineapple with a good amount of spice (coriander?). It is extremely smooth and not in the least bit bitter.

D: Dangerously drinkable.

A world class beer and definitely the best tripel I have ever tasted. I have had many Unibroue beers, but this one stands out!

12-02-2010 20:29:46 | More by hmf05
hyattdaman

Nebraska

The beer has exceptional head and aroma. The taste is very pleasing considering the alcohol content since alot of beer with this high of alcohol content the taste will not be as pleasing. Go out and by this beer, amazing. I have tried many different types of beer and this one takes the cake. A+

01-24-2011 00:32:42 | More by hyattdaman
mttaylor1066

Connecticut

Every bit as good as advertised. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Belgian goblet.

A -- Golden, deliciously golden. You couldn't artificially color a beer better than this. A sprightly mousse that fades to nothing almost immediately.

S - Light malt, with a hoppy hint. Really sets you up to enjoy the taste.

T - A home run of taste, again the light malt hits the tongue, blends easily with a citrus and slight sweetness. If you find Delirium Tremens too sweet, this is a tripel you should try. Each sip invites another immediate sip.

M - The carbonation keeps it light in the mouth. It has that Westmalle Tripel mouthfeel that takes me back to La Morte Subite in Brussels. This is brewed by Canucks? By God, someone up there knows how to brew an ale!

Overall, a great brew. Now I believe all the raving about this ale.

06-16-2011 21:37:45 | More by mttaylor1066