La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,818 | Hads: 9,226

Really is a thing of beauty. After the first sip i knew this deserved the praise it receives. Unbelievable taste for such a well balanced, good tasting experience. Very fruity and delicious. Hard to believe its nine percent and really hits you all the sudden haha. I understand they sold out to bigger company but high quality is still present. (344 characters)

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a nice yeast aroma that is well balanced and not off-putting.
Appearance- Pours a golden yellow with a thick white head.
Taste- Fantastic flavor of yeast and malt, the ABV is well masked.
Palate- A medium bodied mildly carbonated beer.
Overall- A world class beer, this should be on everyone's must try list. (365 characters)

This beer should be outlawed. It pours nice, leaves no sediment. No hint of the alcohol content in the first taste, last taste, or any taste in between. You can taste every ingrediate in it. It is crisp, light, and the best ale hands down. I found only one bar in town that serves it. I find myself there at least twice a week. Be warned! This is the crack of beers. All else will seem pale in comparison. They better have this in heaven. (438 characters)

A - A glorious, ethereal aesthetic: Pale orange, gold with a lot of haze. Bubbles majestically float up from the bottom. Head is the whitest head I've ever encountered; laces well and retains a fantastic thick, flat, pure white foam on the top. Excellent!

S - Yeast; candied light fruits from grapes and apricots to peaches and pear. Zesty: spices - coriander. Cotton candy notes.

T - Matches the nose almost to the point. Phew this is good! The malt here is honey. Some ginger here as well. Flavor is amazingly well-balanced and in check.

M - Perfect. Medium-bodied. So well-balanced through the sip; the body is the same as it enters your mouth through the time you swallow it. Silky in feel.

D - Simply one of the greatest beers I've ever had. I can't believe I've never had this until now. I can see this being the only beer I ever drink when I'm like 40 and older. Eruditely crafted. (893 characters)

I found this brew (suprise, surprise!) at the local neighborhood HEB supermarket. It was not surprise that when I went back they had sold out. Duvel and Chimay drinkers take note, there is a new kid on the block and his Reggie...whoops wrong review...

The bottle is striking and the Quebec nationalism hits you in the face like a handfull of yeast sediment. If your french is rusty, the name translates to "End of the Earth". This could be interpreted a number of ways; Quebec is literally at the end of the Earth or you'd have to go to the End of the Earth to find a better beer. I think the latter is appropriate. I liked the beer so much I wasted no time in cloning it. That of course requried that I buy several more bottles to harvest the yeast. (Word of note to homebrewers, the yeast is very agressive so have plenty of space in your carboy or you will have a problem. I dry hopped mine with a bit more orange peel than called for and it clogged my blow off tube and I got a call from home (Houston, we have a problem...) it seems the stopper, blow off tube and several ounces of peel and yeast were blown onto the ceiling and surrounding real estate. However the beer was splendid, although with no candy sugar it was minus the tremendous head. Now on to the beer.

This beer was splendid. From the huge rocky shaving cream head, to the wonderful orangey, estery aroma it shouted drink me. (Caution, do not mow the yard in the Houston heat, then gulp one of these 22oz babies down or you will have a hangover in short order.) The ale bursts in your mouth like a fruity explosion, only dampened by the mild alcohol warmth as it slides down your gullet like a soothing balm. You just can't stop. 22ozs disappears in no time. Buy the big one for yourself and a 6 pack of 12 ozers because you will not want to share the large bottle with anyone. The mouth feel was wonderful and even with it's prodigious alcohol content, you'll down this brew greedily like an overpass dwelling wino. Unibue have outdone themselves.
Warning: If you haven't tried Belgian Style Ales and do not want to pay the high price demanded for them ($8.00), Do not try this beer as it is highly addictive! (2,188 characters)

This is a special review actually, the sampling was done at my house and some BA's were also there, Goldorak, Gordero and Bubbabeerbacon.

Big mucho thanko to Bubba's connection that was able to bring us a Fin du monde aged 10 years directly from Unibroue's cellar! And this was wonderfull. Here the review.

Very cloudy deep golden beer, with a good medium head that fought her way to stay alive.

Citrus nose that comes out of that beer with some sort of sourness, actually it was like some Saison.

Taste was very citrus like, with some rich fruity flavors with a shy sourness end. Then the beer brings a nice sweety flavours reminding us of Ice Cidre, and no Unibroue's yeast flavors were present.

Superb experience! (731 characters)

The beer has exceptional head and aroma. The taste is very pleasing considering the alcohol content since alot of beer with this high of alcohol content the taste will not be as pleasing. Go out and by this beer, amazing. I have tried many different types of beer and this one takes the cake. A+ (295 characters)

Appearance: Great head and retention. Head was huge.
Smell: Smells of apples, very nice firm smell. Very very apealing
taste: Smooth, crisp, apple and fruity esters going on. Oh man, this beer is heaven. 9% alcohol? drinks like a 5 or 6 %. WOW
Mouthfeel: Crisp, especially for an ale. very refreshing.
Drinkability: One of the easiest beers to drink ever. WOW!

This is the epitome of a great beer. I don't think it could get any better. WOW! (449 characters)

First I have to remind drinkers that Belgian ales have a sediment of yeast which contains a lot of the flavor potential in the beer. How you pour it makes a huge difference in what kind of cloudiness the beer will exhibit and what kind of flavor you will taste.

Second I have to remind folks about temperature. There's an even greater spectrum of aromas and flavors depending upon the temperature of the beer when it's served.

I highly recommend, assuming you bought this because you like Belgian ales, turning your bottle upside down before opening and gently swirling the bubble of air around the bottle's botom to guarantee every bit of sediment is suspended in the drink before you pour it. Hold the bottle up to a light source as you do this to make sure you're swirling vigorously enough but gently enough that the air bubble does not break up into a foam inside the bottle.

I also recommend serving this beer at the warmish temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit. You will get a richer head on pour, and the flavors will be very rich and varied.

From this baseline, experiment with colder (or warmer) temperatures, and pour the glass from a bottle that has completely settled, stopping before any of the cloudiness has hit the glass.

Experimenting with the four extremes of cold/warm cloudy/clear will consume a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles. This will give you a range of the flavors you should expect from this beer. Probably all Belgian ales, especially Tripels, will have a lot more to offer with this knowledge.

Knowing what to expect, I am impressed with the pleasant experience of this beer served cold/clear, cold/cloudy, warm/clear, warm/cloudy.

Caveat: if you don't read the label about the alcohol content, you will be surprised. Ironically I think I tasted the alcohol more in the cleaner, slightly bitter body of the cold/clear pour. The sediment provides flavors that mask the alcohol, and warmth seems to potentiate those other flavors more than the alcocol. (1,981 characters)

Appearance: Pours a pale cloudy gold into a tulip. Rocky white two-finger head lingers.

Smell: Outstanding - there's a lot going on here. Floral notes hit me first, followed by a nice balance of fruit, spice and hops.

Taste: Again, simply outstanding. There's a lot going on and it all works perfectly together. I get fruit and spice first, followed immediately by mild hop bitterness. Warming alcohol rounds it out, but it's not a flaw at all - in fact, it's quite pleasant. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Relatively high carbonation, which works nicely with this beer.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable despite the high ABV, because everything just works so well together. I'm not sure what the right analogy is - is this the Porsche 911 of beers? That honor should probably go to a German brew, of course. In any event, I have made this beer a part of my regular rotation, and have nicknamed it "Fin du Week" because I like to reward myself with one on Friday (and I don't speak French). (989 characters)

Man, this is some good beer. I picked up a four pack that 'expires' two years from now. It pours a very cloudy and dark blonde with a moderate head that disappears rather quickly. It left some lacing that looks nice on the glass. Smells and tastes fruity sweet with mild spice. It feels light in the mouth and a little bubbly. It goes down dangerously smooth and the flavor lingers for quite some time. I can't imagine myself enjoying a beer much more than I enjoyed this one. I had planned on drinking one but it was so damn good that I drank three, then fell into a wonderful comatose sleep. I will be buying more of this. (624 characters)

This is my first review but what can I say I am in love with this beer. The color is a nice cloudy golden hue. With a nice bubbly 2 finger head. The smell is fruity with spice notes mainly clove or coriander. The taste is amazing. It has a very nice fruity taste with a slight bitterness and hints of clove which for me the clove seemed to lesson after a few sips. It has just the right amount of carbonation and has a bubbly pleasant mouth feel. What else can I say this is a world class beer. I would drink again in a heartbeat. This has become one of my favorite beers. (572 characters)

Pours a hazy, honey-like golden color with one of the biggest, fluffiest heads ever. Smells of honey, clove, apricots, sugar, and floral hops. Flavor follows suit, with an added layer of warmth from the alcohol and some spicy Belgian yeast character. Overall one of my favorite beers. (284 characters)

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle.

Beautiful hazy golden color with white lacy head. Good retention with beautiful lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is all Belgian. Fruity, yeasty, delicious. Chalky sweetness.

Is this the best tasting beer in the world? If not, it'll do until the best comes along. It's everything I love about a Trippel. Sweet, tart, malt, yeast, all at once. Just enough hoppiness for perfect balance. The alcohol is very well hidden but certainly there.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. If you like tripels this is a must try. Unibroue is one of the best breweries in north America. (692 characters)

This brewery crafts some of the best beers on the planet...however, I can't help thinking, ever time I purchase, drink some, or discuss it, of my third Grade teacher Mrs. Dragon ( no kidding ) who left her eyebrow(s ?) to grow as wild and unfettered as the most enormous English hedgerows. Unibroue change your name and not to Bacc Herre Brauerei. (347 characters)

Possibly my favorite beer.

A - Light gold, slightly cloudy with beautiful head.

S - Very yeasty, slightly fruity, and a meadow of flowers...complex and intriguing

T - Amazing. Very yeasty with light fruit flavors and very slight alcohol (especially for 9%)

M - Light and carbonated but sooo creamy with the head. Perfect.

D - DAAAANGEROUSLY drinkable.

If you want a beer that your girlfriend will enjoy almost as much as you do, buy this beer. Then buy it again, and again. It's that good. I like to drink it from a fluted champagne glass for amazing head retention.

EDIT: I just ordered this at the Tap again, thinking maybe I shouldn't have given it all fives...until I drank it. I just can't find a flaw in this beer. Blows my mind every time. (756 characters)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this. (827 characters)

Another 25OZ.bottle and another perfect score. There is no beer on this great earth that can compare to this in my unhumble opinion. Maybe i am short sighted but it is how I feel about this liquid perfection. I know people will jump on my behind for saying this-the greatest beer in the world. This is the third time I have reviewed it. (336 characters)

My first EVER true craft beer, tried at a pub in Dallas TX a few years back. Poured from bottle, beautiful golden appearance with nice bright white foamy thick head, and almost perfect taste. Subtle high abv, great taste of malts and yeast, very subtle sweet citrus flavor, beatiful lacing down the glass. Very, very nice. Great beer for "the end of the world" ;) (363 characters)

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted. (288 characters)

You will love the look, taste and feel of this beer! I gave it to friend of mine and I thought he was going to leave his wife!
With an almost zen-like golden amber color, this crisp and strong beer goes great with pizza, steak, a concert, a wedding anniversary or your favorite team opening up a can of whoop-ass on a rival.

Tastes great on a warm day and represents the best of North America. Uhhh, can you tell I dig this brew?
Thank you, Canada! (451 characters)

Great golden color with a nice head. Has a strong deep flavor with lots of yeast and a bit of spice to it. Nice fruity bouquet. Has just the right ammount of carbanation, has a great mouthfeel. Just a great beer in every aspect. Has little alcohol flavor, even though it has a 9% ABV. (284 characters)

A: It pours an opaque light yellow-brown with a creamy two finger head that hangs around for a while before subsiding.

S: It smells of fruits and malts; there is no scent of the 9% abv.

T: This starts as malty, and then gets fruitier but the malts are still present throughout; there is a quite bitter aftertaste. It is also sweet, but it is not overdone to the point of sugarcane. Alcohol is present in the taste, but it is not overpowering everything like so many other high abv beers.

M: This has a lot of carbonation causing it to have a light body. It kind of feels like a pilsner, but it’s an ale, so it’s quite unique in that sense.

O: This is a fantastic beer, the only one so far that has truly lived up to its hype. It has a high abv, but you don’t really notice it until you stand up after drinking 750 mL of it. (833 characters)

Every bit as good as advertised. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Belgian goblet.

A -- Golden, deliciously golden. You couldn't artificially color a beer better than this. A sprightly mousse that fades to nothing almost immediately.

S - Light malt, with a hoppy hint. Really sets you up to enjoy the taste.

T - A home run of taste, again the light malt hits the tongue, blends easily with a citrus and slight sweetness. If you find Delirium Tremens too sweet, this is a tripel you should try. Each sip invites another immediate sip.

M - The carbonation keeps it light in the mouth. It has that Westmalle Tripel mouthfeel that takes me back to La Morte Subite in Brussels. This is brewed by Canucks? By God, someone up there knows how to brew an ale!

Overall, a great brew. Now I believe all the raving about this ale. (817 characters)

Before I begin, I must say that this is truly one of the top 10 beers in the world

A: There is a nice 3 finger, white creamy head. A beautiful cloudy orange color and you cannot see anything through it thanks to the wonderful bottle conditioning.

S: Peach, pineapple, pear, clove/coriander, belgian yeast

M: Well carbonated and surprisingly creamy

T: Exactly like the smell. Tons of ripe fruit. I get mostly peach and pineapple with a good amount of spice (coriander?). It is extremely smooth and not in the least bit bitter.

D: Dangerously drinkable.

A world class beer and definitely the best tripel I have ever tasted. I have had many Unibroue beers, but this one stands out! (685 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue