1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,091 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
MarcGetty

Drinking La Fun Du Monde will have you feeling fin-tasktic and fin-taboulous! It is truly an exceptional beer that is difficult not to love.

Long before my 2002-era craft beer enlightenment I had heard of this beer being available in Canada from friends and how it was absolutely awful. Some time in 2002 or 2003 I tried it for myself and thought that I may need to get new friends as the beer I tried was exceptional!

The beer has all of the typical characteristics of a Belgian Golden Ale - light in color, bright crisp taste, very effervescent and high in alcohol. The head is perfect - light but not too much.

Available in both 12oz and 750ml bottles, I usually choose the 750ml bottles myself. Many a night has Fin put a smile on my face!

10-12-2008 17:24:07 | More by MarcGetty
rdickey

Appearance: Pours a pale cloudy gold into a tulip. Rocky white two-finger head lingers.

Smell: Outstanding - there's a lot going on here. Floral notes hit me first, followed by a nice balance of fruit, spice and hops.

Taste: Again, simply outstanding. There's a lot going on and it all works perfectly together. I get fruit and spice first, followed immediately by mild hop bitterness. Warming alcohol rounds it out, but it's not a flaw at all - in fact, it's quite pleasant. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Relatively high carbonation, which works nicely with this beer.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable despite the high ABV, because everything just works so well together. I'm not sure what the right analogy is - is this the Porsche 911 of beers? That honor should probably go to a German brew, of course. In any event, I have made this beer a part of my regular rotation, and have nicknamed it "Fin du Week" because I like to reward myself with one on Friday (and I don't speak French).

11-02-2008 00:32:46 | More by rdickey
beeroverwineguy

S= Served from the bottle with cork (that is the only way I will drink this beer)

A= Appearance is exceptionally pleasing to the the eye that
reaches deep down into one's soul

S= Smell is pleasing to your senses and floral in nature that will surprise your willingness to smell your brew each time before tasting.

T=Taste is like champagne on holistic and natural steroids that will invite your palate to heights of appreciation that you never even knew existed. You will neveer want to drink cheap beer without the full bodied flavor that comes from a triple fermented brew.

M=Mouthfeel is of a well balanced, orchestrated dance troop of synchronized beautifully ensembled beauties that tintilate and explore the deepest recesses of each and every taste bud on the surface of your tongue.

D= Drinkability of this wonderfully, well balanced, gift from God is incredibly delightful and rewarding to your sense of thankfulness for God's gift to mankind to possess the privelege of creating such a blessing of a brew.

P.S. Drink responsibly, drink at home.

03-10-2009 06:53:38 | More by beeroverwineguy
skinny0ne

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted.

04-04-2009 01:00:33 | More by skinny0ne
aphor

First I have to remind drinkers that Belgian ales have a sediment of yeast which contains a lot of the flavor potential in the beer. How you pour it makes a huge difference in what kind of cloudiness the beer will exhibit and what kind of flavor you will taste.

Second I have to remind folks about temperature. There's an even greater spectrum of aromas and flavors depending upon the temperature of the beer when it's served.

I highly recommend, assuming you bought this because you like Belgian ales, turning your bottle upside down before opening and gently swirling the bubble of air around the bottle's botom to guarantee every bit of sediment is suspended in the drink before you pour it. Hold the bottle up to a light source as you do this to make sure you're swirling vigorously enough but gently enough that the air bubble does not break up into a foam inside the bottle.

I also recommend serving this beer at the warmish temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit. You will get a richer head on pour, and the flavors will be very rich and varied.

From this baseline, experiment with colder (or warmer) temperatures, and pour the glass from a bottle that has completely settled, stopping before any of the cloudiness has hit the glass.

Experimenting with the four extremes of cold/warm cloudy/clear will consume a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles. This will give you a range of the flavors you should expect from this beer. Probably all Belgian ales, especially Tripels, will have a lot more to offer with this knowledge.

Knowing what to expect, I am impressed with the pleasant experience of this beer served cold/clear, cold/cloudy, warm/clear, warm/cloudy.

Caveat: if you don't read the label about the alcohol content, you will be surprised. Ironically I think I tasted the alcohol more in the cleaner, slightly bitter body of the cold/clear pour. The sediment provides flavors that mask the alcohol, and warmth seems to potentiate those other flavors more than the alcocol.

05-03-2009 03:45:31 | More by aphor
smanders

Appearance - Cloudy amber with a pillowy head.

Smell - Fruit, clove, grains. Wonderful!

Taste - Wow! The lightness and sweetness of fruit blended perfectly with the punch of the alcohol (although you wouldn't guess it's as high as it is). Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel - crisp and yet still a little drying.

Drinkabilty - Very high! This beer is appropriately named. If the end of the world was coming I would be consuming with reckless abandon.

05-22-2009 12:50:26 | More by smanders
thezenkeeper

Iowa

Great golden color with a nice head. Has a strong deep flavor with lots of yeast and a bit of spice to it. Nice fruity bouquet. Has just the right ammount of carbanation, has a great mouthfeel. Just a great beer in every aspect. Has little alcohol flavor, even though it has a 9% ABV.

08-09-2009 13:46:51 | More by thezenkeeper
josefnewsong

Possibly my favorite beer.

A - Light gold, slightly cloudy with beautiful head.

S - Very yeasty, slightly fruity, and a meadow of flowers...complex and intriguing

T - Amazing. Very yeasty with light fruit flavors and very slight alcohol (especially for 9%)

M - Light and carbonated but sooo creamy with the head. Perfect.

D - DAAAANGEROUSLY drinkable.

If you want a beer that your girlfriend will enjoy almost as much as you do, buy this beer. Then buy it again, and again. It's that good. I like to drink it from a fluted champagne glass for amazing head retention.

EDIT: I just ordered this at the Tap again, thinking maybe I shouldn't have given it all fives...until I drank it. I just can't find a flaw in this beer. Blows my mind every time.

11-24-2009 04:37:00 | More by josefnewsong
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

This is hands down the best brew I have ever had! If I could create the same recipe and fermentation process, I am sure I would be a millionaire.

Poured from a 750mL bottle under compression with a cork topper into a tulip flared glass. The colouration is pale yellow and the head white, predominant throughout the enjoyment, which was light, fluffy and thick at the same time.

Aroma is fruity, mildly yeasty and citrus notes are apparent. Mild, and I mean mild hoppiness is present.

The taste is unparalleled! Wonderful characters of honey and of all things a sense of birch bark, wintergreen, dog grass, ginger, juniper, licorice, sarsaparilla, yucca and cherrita.

The palate is excited with the chewey feel of the brew and non-overpowering feel of the higher alcohol.

Very easy to drink, yet the alcohol can hit you, like a bottle of VQA chardonnay. But, this brew is exceptional to a connoisseur or the lay person. It truly is wonderful to enjoy a taste or a bottle.

Cheers!

04-16-2010 19:40:34 | More by Bestuurder
Hampton77

I'm no professional, but I simply had to speak my mind on this one.

This brew pours a light golden color with a decent head, settles to a nice lace that lasts the rest of the way through the glass.

The smell is fascinating. Balanced fruitiness with a little something wild and maybe even hoppy. Not sure how to describe my intrigue.

Taste is beyond expectation. Again wild and yet smooth. The fruitiness carries through followed by flashes of bitter then earthy finishing with an almost cleansing alcohol. I can't believe how drinkable this huge and complex brew really is. I just wish I had the words to describe everything it has to offer.

I would not recommend this beer to most of my non-ba friends as it would simply overwhelm the uninitiated. Edging quickly toward the top of my list.

06-15-2010 22:22:28 | More by Hampton77
beertunes

Washington

It's been awhile since I've had one of these beauties and when I saw that I hadn't reviewed it... well, here we are. Poured into Unibroue tulip. Poured a lighty hazy straw gold color with a thick, tall, fluffy, white head that had great retention and just the right amount of lacing.

The aroma was great, yeasty, spicy, a hint of fruit and a great grain scent. On the tongue all those aspects were, if possible, amplified. Just what this style should be.

The body is full and well-rounded, without being heavy, cloying, sweet or annoying. Drinkability is, of course, nearly perfect. Crisp, interesting and as refreshing as a 9% brew can be, having several of these gorgeous creatures is easy.

Overall, this is only the second beer I've given all 5's to. Chimay White is one of my top 5 favorite beers and this may be a better example of the style. A serious must try.

07-06-2010 22:02:55 | More by beertunes
bluesfan1181

Missouri

All I can say about this beer is WOW!!! This is the best tripel and one of the best beers I have ever had. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, best before 3-3-13, into a Delirium Tremens globe.

A - Pours a beautiful 3 finger head that retains very well. Has
a pretty golden/amber color that's cloudy with yeast
particles.

S - Has a noticeable alcohol smell with that of cloves and spice
notes. Also has a banana aroma.

T - Taste spicy yet, mellow, with a fruity complex to it. An
alcohol taste is also present.

M - Very smooth on the palate with mild carbonation.

D - This one of the most drinkable beers I have ever drank.
Even with the high ABV of 9%, it goes down smooth.

I will drink this beer anytime, anywhere. It is a masterpiece of brewing excellence. I think most beer snobs like me would agree.

07-25-2010 01:00:27 | More by bluesfan1181
hmf05

Before I begin, I must say that this is truly one of the top 10 beers in the world

A: There is a nice 3 finger, white creamy head. A beautiful cloudy orange color and you cannot see anything through it thanks to the wonderful bottle conditioning.

S: Peach, pineapple, pear, clove/coriander, belgian yeast

M: Well carbonated and surprisingly creamy

T: Exactly like the smell. Tons of ripe fruit. I get mostly peach and pineapple with a good amount of spice (coriander?). It is extremely smooth and not in the least bit bitter.

D: Dangerously drinkable.

A world class beer and definitely the best tripel I have ever tasted. I have had many Unibroue beers, but this one stands out!

12-02-2010 20:29:46 | More by hmf05
hyattdaman

Nebraska

The beer has exceptional head and aroma. The taste is very pleasing considering the alcohol content since alot of beer with this high of alcohol content the taste will not be as pleasing. Go out and by this beer, amazing. I have tried many different types of beer and this one takes the cake. A+

01-24-2011 00:32:42 | More by hyattdaman
mttaylor1066

Connecticut

Every bit as good as advertised. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Belgian goblet.

A -- Golden, deliciously golden. You couldn't artificially color a beer better than this. A sprightly mousse that fades to nothing almost immediately.

S - Light malt, with a hoppy hint. Really sets you up to enjoy the taste.

T - A home run of taste, again the light malt hits the tongue, blends easily with a citrus and slight sweetness. If you find Delirium Tremens too sweet, this is a tripel you should try. Each sip invites another immediate sip.

M - The carbonation keeps it light in the mouth. It has that Westmalle Tripel mouthfeel that takes me back to La Morte Subite in Brussels. This is brewed by Canucks? By God, someone up there knows how to brew an ale!

Overall, a great brew. Now I believe all the raving about this ale.

06-16-2011 21:37:45 | More by mttaylor1066
Tford

Rhode Island

A: It pours an opaque light yellow-brown with a creamy two finger head that hangs around for a while before subsiding.

S: It smells of fruits and malts; there is no scent of the 9% abv.

T: This starts as malty, and then gets fruitier but the malts are still present throughout; there is a quite bitter aftertaste. It is also sweet, but it is not overdone to the point of sugarcane. Alcohol is present in the taste, but it is not overpowering everything like so many other high abv beers.

M: This has a lot of carbonation causing it to have a light body. It kind of feels like a pilsner, but it’s an ale, so it’s quite unique in that sense.

O: This is a fantastic beer, the only one so far that has truly lived up to its hype. It has a high abv, but you don’t really notice it until you stand up after drinking 750 mL of it.

06-18-2011 07:44:35 | More by Tford
searsclone

Arizona

poured from a bottle into a stella artois glass

honey orange color with a nice fluffy head. not much lacing, but I think it's less from the beer and more from the glass

smells like sour citrus and toasted bread and a bit floral

taste is sour fruit and maybe some banana. definitely gets better as it warms up.

feels sharp on the tongue, highly carbonated but still creamy

this is one of my favorite beers

10-09-2011 00:10:06 | More by searsclone
Shibbykaiyai

This is one of the beers that defines it style. From the creative name to the distinctive label to the incredible beer, an exceptional choice.

The taste does not give away at all the potency of this brew. Very smooth taste, with little or no strong alcohol aftertaste. One of the few brews worth a perfect rating.

10-09-2011 03:04:14 | More by Shibbykaiyai
Pdavidsoncycle

Wisconsin

You will love the look, taste and feel of this beer! I gave it to friend of mine and I thought he was going to leave his wife!
With an almost zen-like golden amber color, this crisp and strong beer goes great with pizza, steak, a concert, a wedding anniversary or your favorite team opening up a can of whoop-ass on a rival.

Tastes great on a warm day and represents the best of North America. Uhhh, can you tell I dig this brew?
Thank you, Canada!

10-26-2011 03:25:44 | More by Pdavidsoncycle
whubbard

Connecticut

Personally my favorite beer. Hence the straight 5.0 rating. It looks right, smells rights and tastes right. It has a wonderfully complex flavor that no other beer I have ever tried has lived up to. They all seem to simple in comparison.

I always have a stash of 750ml bottles around for consumption.

11-02-2011 09:12:52 | More by whubbard
thisismyname

British Columbia (Canada)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this.

12-04-2011 01:12:09 | More by thisismyname
akronzipfan

a - pours a murky golden-amber; head is three fingers of luscious white foam with streaky lacing

s - intense aroma of apples, citrus and coriander

t - a complex hoppy and malty delight

m - wonderfully smooth, with a champaign-like effervescence

d - an absolutely unmatched Tripel,this is truly "the end of the earth"

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

01-07-2012 00:10:04 | More by akronzipfan
elNopalero

One of the first craft beers I drank on a regular basis—and still one of my favorites.

It pours a hazy honeyed-gold with tight lacing on the foam. Looks incredible.

The beer has this incredible floral, fruity aroma. Spring fruits, strawberries and peach blossoms, and a little citrus zest—citron, some orange zest. Smells wonderful.

Tastes amazing. Each sip is a new treat that the palate unwraps. There’s a zesty bite but it’s not a big hoppy beer. More fruit, more floral, more layers of lightly nuanced flavors. Orange peel, coriander, and those springs fruits all in perfect tandem. Crisp, sharp, and fantastic.

Absolutely resplendent. This beer truly is worthy of the end of the world.

02-16-2012 17:03:15 | More by elNopalero
bluHatter

A: Light cloudy dark yellow or very light orange in color, with a nice gentle foamy head that very slowly dissipates, leaving behind perfectly beautiful lacing.

S: Spicy yeast, a bit of fruit - sourdough. Banana bread. Complex nose here.

T: Sweet and spicy, with a hint of whipped lemon meringue. Yeast, sourdough bread. Loads of complexity here - every sip is different and grows on the last one.

M: It looks light, but still waters run deep. It has a distinctive whipped quality that makes it feel almost like you're drinking cream or meringue. It's frothy and smooth with just a slight alcohol bite - but really the 9% ABV is hidden so expertly here that you hardly notice it at all.

O: What can I say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this beer, at all. It is incredible. True to its ominous name, if the end of the world were truly upon us, this is the beer I'd want to be drinking when it all went down.

04-09-2012 02:31:51 | More by bluHatter
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a chalice. Pours very hazy golden with a finger length white head that dissipates slowly. A nice cap of lacing is left on top and there is some lacing left on the side of the glass. The aroma is of fruit and yeast. It reminds me of a Hefeweizen, only the smell is a little more potent. The flavors of fruit and malt really come through in this brew, but it is not too sweet. The alcohol does come through only slightly in the flavor. There is a pleasing balance to this beer from the spice and the flavors from the malt and the yeast. The flavors of fruit really come through in this brew, but it is not too sweet. The alcohol does come through only slightly in the flavor. There is a pleasing balance to this beer from the spice and the flavors from the malt and the yeast. It is very easy to gulp, but you want to sip this and savor it. This is easily one of the best tripels if not one of the best beers I've ever tried.

04-24-2012 00:07:05 | More by acevenom