La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,818 | Hads: 9,229

Man, this is some good beer. I picked up a four pack that 'expires' two years from now. It pours a very cloudy and dark blonde with a moderate head that disappears rather quickly. It left some lacing that looks nice on the glass. Smells and tastes fruity sweet with mild spice. It feels light in the mouth and a little bubbly. It goes down dangerously smooth and the flavor lingers for quite some time. I can't imagine myself enjoying a beer much more than I enjoyed this one. I had planned on drinking one but it was so damn good that I drank three, then fell into a wonderful comatose sleep. I will be buying more of this. (624 characters)

This is my first review but what can I say I am in love with this beer. The color is a nice cloudy golden hue. With a nice bubbly 2 finger head. The smell is fruity with spice notes mainly clove or coriander. The taste is amazing. It has a very nice fruity taste with a slight bitterness and hints of clove which for me the clove seemed to lesson after a few sips. It has just the right amount of carbonation and has a bubbly pleasant mouth feel. What else can I say this is a world class beer. I would drink again in a heartbeat. This has become one of my favorite beers. (572 characters)

Pours a hazy, honey-like golden color with one of the biggest, fluffiest heads ever. Smells of honey, clove, apricots, sugar, and floral hops. Flavor follows suit, with an added layer of warmth from the alcohol and some spicy Belgian yeast character. Overall one of my favorite beers. (284 characters)

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle.

Beautiful hazy golden color with white lacy head. Good retention with beautiful lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is all Belgian. Fruity, yeasty, delicious. Chalky sweetness.

Is this the best tasting beer in the world? If not, it'll do until the best comes along. It's everything I love about a Trippel. Sweet, tart, malt, yeast, all at once. Just enough hoppiness for perfect balance. The alcohol is very well hidden but certainly there.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. If you like tripels this is a must try. Unibroue is one of the best breweries in north America. (692 characters)

This brewery crafts some of the best beers on the planet...however, I can't help thinking, ever time I purchase, drink some, or discuss it, of my third Grade teacher Mrs. Dragon ( no kidding ) who left her eyebrow(s ?) to grow as wild and unfettered as the most enormous English hedgerows. Unibroue change your name and not to Bacc Herre Brauerei. (347 characters)

Possibly my favorite beer.

A - Light gold, slightly cloudy with beautiful head.

S - Very yeasty, slightly fruity, and a meadow of flowers...complex and intriguing

T - Amazing. Very yeasty with light fruit flavors and very slight alcohol (especially for 9%)

M - Light and carbonated but sooo creamy with the head. Perfect.

D - DAAAANGEROUSLY drinkable.

If you want a beer that your girlfriend will enjoy almost as much as you do, buy this beer. Then buy it again, and again. It's that good. I like to drink it from a fluted champagne glass for amazing head retention.

EDIT: I just ordered this at the Tap again, thinking maybe I shouldn't have given it all fives...until I drank it. I just can't find a flaw in this beer. Blows my mind every time. (756 characters)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this. (827 characters)

Another 25OZ.bottle and another perfect score. There is no beer on this great earth that can compare to this in my unhumble opinion. Maybe i am short sighted but it is how I feel about this liquid perfection. I know people will jump on my behind for saying this-the greatest beer in the world. This is the third time I have reviewed it. (336 characters)

My first EVER true craft beer, tried at a pub in Dallas TX a few years back. Poured from bottle, beautiful golden appearance with nice bright white foamy thick head, and almost perfect taste. Subtle high abv, great taste of malts and yeast, very subtle sweet citrus flavor, beatiful lacing down the glass. Very, very nice. Great beer for "the end of the world" ;) (363 characters)

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted. (288 characters)

You will love the look, taste and feel of this beer! I gave it to friend of mine and I thought he was going to leave his wife!
With an almost zen-like golden amber color, this crisp and strong beer goes great with pizza, steak, a concert, a wedding anniversary or your favorite team opening up a can of whoop-ass on a rival.

Tastes great on a warm day and represents the best of North America. Uhhh, can you tell I dig this brew?
Thank you, Canada! (451 characters)

Great golden color with a nice head. Has a strong deep flavor with lots of yeast and a bit of spice to it. Nice fruity bouquet. Has just the right ammount of carbanation, has a great mouthfeel. Just a great beer in every aspect. Has little alcohol flavor, even though it has a 9% ABV. (284 characters)

A: It pours an opaque light yellow-brown with a creamy two finger head that hangs around for a while before subsiding.

S: It smells of fruits and malts; there is no scent of the 9% abv.

T: This starts as malty, and then gets fruitier but the malts are still present throughout; there is a quite bitter aftertaste. It is also sweet, but it is not overdone to the point of sugarcane. Alcohol is present in the taste, but it is not overpowering everything like so many other high abv beers.

M: This has a lot of carbonation causing it to have a light body. It kind of feels like a pilsner, but it’s an ale, so it’s quite unique in that sense.

O: This is a fantastic beer, the only one so far that has truly lived up to its hype. It has a high abv, but you don’t really notice it until you stand up after drinking 750 mL of it. (833 characters)

Every bit as good as advertised. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Belgian goblet.

A -- Golden, deliciously golden. You couldn't artificially color a beer better than this. A sprightly mousse that fades to nothing almost immediately.

S - Light malt, with a hoppy hint. Really sets you up to enjoy the taste.

T - A home run of taste, again the light malt hits the tongue, blends easily with a citrus and slight sweetness. If you find Delirium Tremens too sweet, this is a tripel you should try. Each sip invites another immediate sip.

M - The carbonation keeps it light in the mouth. It has that Westmalle Tripel mouthfeel that takes me back to La Morte Subite in Brussels. This is brewed by Canucks? By God, someone up there knows how to brew an ale!

Overall, a great brew. Now I believe all the raving about this ale. (817 characters)

Before I begin, I must say that this is truly one of the top 10 beers in the world

A: There is a nice 3 finger, white creamy head. A beautiful cloudy orange color and you cannot see anything through it thanks to the wonderful bottle conditioning.

S: Peach, pineapple, pear, clove/coriander, belgian yeast

M: Well carbonated and surprisingly creamy

T: Exactly like the smell. Tons of ripe fruit. I get mostly peach and pineapple with a good amount of spice (coriander?). It is extremely smooth and not in the least bit bitter.

D: Dangerously drinkable.

A world class beer and definitely the best tripel I have ever tasted. I have had many Unibroue beers, but this one stands out! (685 characters)

I'm no professional, but I simply had to speak my mind on this one.

This brew pours a light golden color with a decent head, settles to a nice lace that lasts the rest of the way through the glass.

The smell is fascinating. Balanced fruitiness with a little something wild and maybe even hoppy. Not sure how to describe my intrigue.

Taste is beyond expectation. Again wild and yet smooth. The fruitiness carries through followed by flashes of bitter then earthy finishing with an almost cleansing alcohol. I can't believe how drinkable this huge and complex brew really is. I just wish I had the words to describe everything it has to offer.

I would not recommend this beer to most of my non-ba friends as it would simply overwhelm the uninitiated. Edging quickly toward the top of my list. (794 characters)

The first time I had this was in a dive selling all their oddball beers for a buck! Out of the bottle I though it was good, I saw the ABV, I thought it was great. Later I found a fresh 750ml and tried it out of the proper glass... OMFG, this beer is perfect!

Popping the top you get a whiff of green apples and a puff of gunsmoke. Pouring this incredable beer results in a slightly hazy body crowned by a creamy mound of white foam. Sweet and fruity with apples and pairs in the begining a perfectly balanced bitterness give a dry, spicy finish. With a moderatly full mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, and peppery finish this beer even feels good to drink. At 9% this beer is no joke, but it hides it so well. (708 characters)

Oh sweet mercy, this looks delicious. Perfect bright solid white head of tight foamy bubbles. Semi opaque yellow/orange body. Tiny carbonation bubbles vigarously racing to the top, with no signs of stopping.

Smells tart and estery like a Wit. Orange rind bouquet of citrus aromas.

This is wonderful - completely wraps my tongue around in a soft velvety balanket of hoppy goodness. Carbonation dances, alcohol heats things up, solid malt profile gives just the right amount of body, but it's the hops that take this baby over the edge with perfect bitterness.

I forgot to mention the yeast. It adds so much to the flavor and smell. Estery, spicy, sweet and bitter. There is just so much going on it's hard to divide my attention to the complexity of this.

I generally have reservations about giving a beer all 5s - but not tonight. This is really that good. The second pour of the 750ml bottle is slightly warmer, allowing the flavor to expand and enunciate the delicate intricacies of its flavor.

If you read this and think that there is another Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is better, please beermail me. (1,120 characters)

Poured into a large wine glass (to approximate a chalice)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy white amber. It looks a bit like a hefe-weizen in appearance. There is a nice, fluffy white head on the top with excellent retention. Lacing remains on the edges of this glass. I can also see carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the brew.

Smell: A sweet, citrus smell first hits my nostrils, followed by the spicy, doughy character found in a good Belgian beer. There are hints of all spice as well. The smell is well defined and pleasant. It gives a great hint as to what the taste will be like.

Taste: The taste begins quite spicy, and gives way to a light, raisin-like sweetness. The sweetness is quite strong and resembles some of the best Belgian beers out there. The beer then finishes with a hoppy bitterness which excellently balances out the sweet and spicy nature of this brew. I can also detect some banana and citrus overtones as well. This is a wonderfully complex ale, and the alcohol is perfectly masked. This ranks among one of the best beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, which is an awesome counterbalance to the well-defined flavor of the ale. There is some light carbonation that gives it a nice little kick on the finish. The balance between flavor and a light body is amazing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. It may be rich, but it's much too good to put down. This is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Watch out for the ABV, which is 9%. It can catch up with you quite quick.

This is highly recommended, and it is laudable that this Belgian-styled brew is from Canada of all places. This sample is the second 750 ml bottle I've purchased, and I know that I will reach for this again some time. (1,733 characters)

Still to this day my absolute favorite beer.In the past week I have had a St Bern. Abt 12 and a Founders Breakfast Stoudt. Two fantastic brews but this is my No.1. I would drink this more often but I have a job.It is absolutely addicting.Easy to get and even easier to drink
It is an extremely dangerous beer at 9% abv .This is the second time I have reviewed it and it just does not have any peers amoungst the tripel style. Best thing about it , crack open a bottle around wine drinkers,some actually think it is champagne and anyone who has had it has either liked it or loved it and changed their mind about beer. The smell the taste and especially the mouthful -unbelievable (679 characters)

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers. (279 characters)

S= Served from the bottle with cork (that is the only way I will drink this beer)

A= Appearance is exceptionally pleasing to the the eye that
reaches deep down into one's soul

S= Smell is pleasing to your senses and floral in nature that will surprise your willingness to smell your brew each time before tasting.

T=Taste is like champagne on holistic and natural steroids that will invite your palate to heights of appreciation that you never even knew existed. You will neveer want to drink cheap beer without the full bodied flavor that comes from a triple fermented brew.

M=Mouthfeel is of a well balanced, orchestrated dance troop of synchronized beautifully ensembled beauties that tintilate and explore the deepest recesses of each and every taste bud on the surface of your tongue.

D= Drinkability of this wonderfully, well balanced, gift from God is incredibly delightful and rewarding to your sense of thankfulness for God's gift to mankind to possess the privelege of creating such a blessing of a brew.

P.S. Drink responsibly, drink at home. (1,060 characters)

One of the first craft beers I drank on a regular basis—and still one of my favorites.

It pours a hazy honeyed-gold with tight lacing on the foam. Looks incredible.

The beer has this incredible floral, fruity aroma. Spring fruits, strawberries and peach blossoms, and a little citrus zest—citron, some orange zest. Smells wonderful.

Tastes amazing. Each sip is a new treat that the palate unwraps. There’s a zesty bite but it’s not a big hoppy beer. More fruit, more floral, more layers of lightly nuanced flavors. Orange peel, coriander, and those springs fruits all in perfect tandem. Crisp, sharp, and fantastic.

Absolutely resplendent. This beer truly is worthy of the end of the world. (705 characters)

This is one of the beers that defines it style. From the creative name to the distinctive label to the incredible beer, an exceptional choice.

The taste does not give away at all the potency of this brew. Very smooth taste, with little or no strong alcohol aftertaste. One of the few brews worth a perfect rating. (314 characters)

A: Light cloudy dark yellow or very light orange in color, with a nice gentle foamy head that very slowly dissipates, leaving behind perfectly beautiful lacing.

S: Spicy yeast, a bit of fruit - sourdough. Banana bread. Complex nose here.

T: Sweet and spicy, with a hint of whipped lemon meringue. Yeast, sourdough bread. Loads of complexity here - every sip is different and grows on the last one.

M: It looks light, but still waters run deep. It has a distinctive whipped quality that makes it feel almost like you're drinking cream or meringue. It's frothy and smooth with just a slight alcohol bite - but really the 9% ABV is hidden so expertly here that you hardly notice it at all.

O: What can I say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this beer, at all. It is incredible. True to its ominous name, if the end of the world were truly upon us, this is the beer I'd want to be drinking when it all went down. (919 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue