La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

Turing, Mar 19, 2013

whatname, Apr 13, 2012

Beezee, Mar 01, 2012

danp14, Jul 18, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Translation of La Fin Du Monde is the end of the world. I would certainly travel to the end of the world for this beer. An amazing example ofthis style. The cloudy orange - yellow appearance with a beautiful white that clings to the glass. The complexity of the taste will have you thinking of adjectives to descirbe this beer. But simply out and in ine word "incredible"

Reverand, Jul 17, 2002
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Forgot to flip the bottle over (to agitate yeast) before pouring, but I did a swirl halfway down and poured the yeast in as you're supposed to. Relatively aggressive pour (deliberate) yields a massive white head that sticks around nicely. Hazy goldenrod body and nice lace.

Lovely fruity nose, lots of tart apple and yeast.

That fruit sticks around-- dang, it's been too long since I've ahd one of these. Apple, white-raisiny grape-- it's almost like juice but dries out at the finish.

Mouthfeel has a bit of fizz, but once you get into it, it's hefeweizen-level thick. The soul of a tripel and the body of a weizen? You can have both (think a Belgian Aventinus).

A magnificent tripel, and one of my personal benchmarks of the style. I think I've had this bottle a while (in the fridge albeit), and it still drinks great. Can't help but wonder what actual cellaring would do for it. Easily classable with tripels twice the price.

zaphodchak, Jan 22, 2012

Blakerooster, Mar 14, 2012

jcubz, Jul 17, 2013

aleslover, Dec 13, 2011

Ciocanelu, Mar 29, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my only tulip glass, which just happens to be a La fin du Monde tulip!

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a fluffy one inch head.. and just like that the head is gone. Something is wrong with this picture.. maybe it's because it wasn't enough to fill the glass or it's too cold? Swishing it around re-ignites the carbonation, but it doesn't last long.

S: I get Belgian yeast, spices, and citrus! A surprising, yet very pleasant amount of citrus. Smells like apples or pears or mango.. it's a very nice touch. Perfectly balanced with the Belgian characteristics!

T: Follows the nose quite well. Light and citrusy upfront with a sturdy Belgian backbone of yeast and spice. I get almost a banana accent in the citrus now. Finish is crisp and refreshing.. ahh

M: Light to medium bodied. Fair amount of carbonation. Not floored, but satisfied.

D: At 9% abv, I expected a bit more bite. Not at all. This is one of the most refreshing beers I've had in my short journey through craft beer. Will absolutely buy again!

SeasonalBrew, Aug 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

What can I say? It's "the end of the world". I haven't seen a better example of a Belgian tripel anywhere outside of Belgium.

The appearance is the only thing I am not a fan of. Considering the amount of excitement that I get out of corking a bottle of this brew, pouring it into a glass leaves me a tad disappointed. The head is short lived with relatively huge bubbles, and the color frankly makes me think of urinalysis test jars.

However, that is where the problems end! I want to offer this beer to a blind person to see whether or not their other senses make it even better than it already is.

The smell is as close to perfection as I can imagine. No words appropriately describe this, but if I had to use nasal experiences as adjectives, I would choose stomped grapes, freshly cut grass with notes of that first rain of late summer.

The taste follows the same, but there is the slightest bit of astringency at the end. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It really is dependent on serving temperature. The last few sips out of my pilsner glass are warmer because of my hand, and that is where the tiniest bit of off-flavor jumps out. Still, with a 4.5 in that category, you can see that it is almost entirely negligible.

The mouthfeel isn't the greatest thing ever; because of the large bubbles it doesn't flow to the back of the tongue as well as a true Belgian, but the flavor itself masks this "problem" extremely well. A 4 is the worst score I could imagine giving it.

As for drinkability, it is just amazing that this is a 9% ABV brew. Very few strong beers mask their alcohol this well. The only one I can think of off-hand is Widmer's Braggot, which is a vastly inferior brew to this (although good in its own right). Obviously this isn't something I would be able (or afford) to sit down and drink all night, but I'll be damned if it doesn't disappear with startling celerity.

If I may say so, I believe Unibroue (and this beer in particular) is the greatest thing to come out of Quebec, with Georges St. Pierre being the second greatest. :)

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the color is "pissy", based on the review before mine. Ha! Still, not a big deal.

Clamwacker, Jun 09, 2010