La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,830 | Hads: 9,307

I'm no professional, but I simply had to speak my mind on this one.

This brew pours a light golden color with a decent head, settles to a nice lace that lasts the rest of the way through the glass.

The smell is fascinating. Balanced fruitiness with a little something wild and maybe even hoppy. Not sure how to describe my intrigue.

Taste is beyond expectation. Again wild and yet smooth. The fruitiness carries through followed by flashes of bitter then earthy finishing with an almost cleansing alcohol. I can't believe how drinkable this huge and complex brew really is. I just wish I had the words to describe everything it has to offer.

I would not recommend this beer to most of my non-ba friends as it would simply overwhelm the uninitiated. Edging quickly toward the top of my list. (794 characters)

The first time I had this was in a dive selling all their oddball beers for a buck! Out of the bottle I though it was good, I saw the ABV, I thought it was great. Later I found a fresh 750ml and tried it out of the proper glass... OMFG, this beer is perfect!

Popping the top you get a whiff of green apples and a puff of gunsmoke. Pouring this incredable beer results in a slightly hazy body crowned by a creamy mound of white foam. Sweet and fruity with apples and pairs in the begining a perfectly balanced bitterness give a dry, spicy finish. With a moderatly full mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, and peppery finish this beer even feels good to drink. At 9% this beer is no joke, but it hides it so well. (708 characters)

Oh sweet mercy, this looks delicious. Perfect bright solid white head of tight foamy bubbles. Semi opaque yellow/orange body. Tiny carbonation bubbles vigarously racing to the top, with no signs of stopping.

Smells tart and estery like a Wit. Orange rind bouquet of citrus aromas.

This is wonderful - completely wraps my tongue around in a soft velvety balanket of hoppy goodness. Carbonation dances, alcohol heats things up, solid malt profile gives just the right amount of body, but it's the hops that take this baby over the edge with perfect bitterness.

I forgot to mention the yeast. It adds so much to the flavor and smell. Estery, spicy, sweet and bitter. There is just so much going on it's hard to divide my attention to the complexity of this.

I generally have reservations about giving a beer all 5s - but not tonight. This is really that good. The second pour of the 750ml bottle is slightly warmer, allowing the flavor to expand and enunciate the delicate intricacies of its flavor.

If you read this and think that there is another Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is better, please beermail me. (1,120 characters)

Poured into a large wine glass (to approximate a chalice)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy white amber. It looks a bit like a hefe-weizen in appearance. There is a nice, fluffy white head on the top with excellent retention. Lacing remains on the edges of this glass. I can also see carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the brew.

Smell: A sweet, citrus smell first hits my nostrils, followed by the spicy, doughy character found in a good Belgian beer. There are hints of all spice as well. The smell is well defined and pleasant. It gives a great hint as to what the taste will be like.

Taste: The taste begins quite spicy, and gives way to a light, raisin-like sweetness. The sweetness is quite strong and resembles some of the best Belgian beers out there. The beer then finishes with a hoppy bitterness which excellently balances out the sweet and spicy nature of this brew. I can also detect some banana and citrus overtones as well. This is a wonderfully complex ale, and the alcohol is perfectly masked. This ranks among one of the best beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, which is an awesome counterbalance to the well-defined flavor of the ale. There is some light carbonation that gives it a nice little kick on the finish. The balance between flavor and a light body is amazing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. It may be rich, but it's much too good to put down. This is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Watch out for the ABV, which is 9%. It can catch up with you quite quick.

This is highly recommended, and it is laudable that this Belgian-styled brew is from Canada of all places. This sample is the second 750 ml bottle I've purchased, and I know that I will reach for this again some time. (1,733 characters)

Still to this day my absolute favorite beer.In the past week I have had a St Bern. Abt 12 and a Founders Breakfast Stoudt. Two fantastic brews but this is my No.1. I would drink this more often but I have a job.It is absolutely addicting.Easy to get and even easier to drink
It is an extremely dangerous beer at 9% abv .This is the second time I have reviewed it and it just does not have any peers amoungst the tripel style. Best thing about it , crack open a bottle around wine drinkers,some actually think it is champagne and anyone who has had it has either liked it or loved it and changed their mind about beer. The smell the taste and especially the mouthful -unbelievable (679 characters)

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers. (279 characters)

S= Served from the bottle with cork (that is the only way I will drink this beer)

A= Appearance is exceptionally pleasing to the the eye that
reaches deep down into one's soul

S= Smell is pleasing to your senses and floral in nature that will surprise your willingness to smell your brew each time before tasting.

T=Taste is like champagne on holistic and natural steroids that will invite your palate to heights of appreciation that you never even knew existed. You will neveer want to drink cheap beer without the full bodied flavor that comes from a triple fermented brew.

M=Mouthfeel is of a well balanced, orchestrated dance troop of synchronized beautifully ensembled beauties that tintilate and explore the deepest recesses of each and every taste bud on the surface of your tongue.

D= Drinkability of this wonderfully, well balanced, gift from God is incredibly delightful and rewarding to your sense of thankfulness for God's gift to mankind to possess the privelege of creating such a blessing of a brew.

P.S. Drink responsibly, drink at home. (1,060 characters)

One of the first craft beers I drank on a regular basis—and still one of my favorites.

It pours a hazy honeyed-gold with tight lacing on the foam. Looks incredible.

The beer has this incredible floral, fruity aroma. Spring fruits, strawberries and peach blossoms, and a little citrus zest—citron, some orange zest. Smells wonderful.

Tastes amazing. Each sip is a new treat that the palate unwraps. There’s a zesty bite but it’s not a big hoppy beer. More fruit, more floral, more layers of lightly nuanced flavors. Orange peel, coriander, and those springs fruits all in perfect tandem. Crisp, sharp, and fantastic.

Absolutely resplendent. This beer truly is worthy of the end of the world. (705 characters)

This is one of the beers that defines it style. From the creative name to the distinctive label to the incredible beer, an exceptional choice.

The taste does not give away at all the potency of this brew. Very smooth taste, with little or no strong alcohol aftertaste. One of the few brews worth a perfect rating. (314 characters)

A: Light cloudy dark yellow or very light orange in color, with a nice gentle foamy head that very slowly dissipates, leaving behind perfectly beautiful lacing.

S: Spicy yeast, a bit of fruit - sourdough. Banana bread. Complex nose here.

T: Sweet and spicy, with a hint of whipped lemon meringue. Yeast, sourdough bread. Loads of complexity here - every sip is different and grows on the last one.

M: It looks light, but still waters run deep. It has a distinctive whipped quality that makes it feel almost like you're drinking cream or meringue. It's frothy and smooth with just a slight alcohol bite - but really the 9% ABV is hidden so expertly here that you hardly notice it at all.

O: What can I say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this beer, at all. It is incredible. True to its ominous name, if the end of the world were truly upon us, this is the beer I'd want to be drinking when it all went down. (919 characters)

Appearance - Cloudy amber with a pillowy head.

Smell - Fruit, clove, grains. Wonderful!

Taste - Wow! The lightness and sweetness of fruit blended perfectly with the punch of the alcohol (although you wouldn't guess it's as high as it is). Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel - crisp and yet still a little drying.

Drinkabilty - Very high! This beer is appropriately named. If the end of the world was coming I would be consuming with reckless abandon. (447 characters)

This is hands down the best brew I have ever had! If I could create the same recipe and fermentation process, I am sure I would be a millionaire.

Poured from a 750mL bottle under compression with a cork topper into a tulip flared glass. The colouration is pale yellow and the head white, predominant throughout the enjoyment, which was light, fluffy and thick at the same time.

Aroma is fruity, mildly yeasty and citrus notes are apparent. Mild, and I mean mild hoppiness is present.

The taste is unparalleled! Wonderful characters of honey and of all things a sense of birch bark, wintergreen, dog grass, ginger, juniper, licorice, sarsaparilla, yucca and cherrita.

The palate is excited with the chewey feel of the brew and non-overpowering feel of the higher alcohol.

Very easy to drink, yet the alcohol can hit you, like a bottle of VQA chardonnay. But, this brew is exceptional to a connoisseur or the lay person. It truly is wonderful to enjoy a taste or a bottle.

Cheers! (984 characters)

Poured into a chalice. Pours very hazy golden with a finger length white head that dissipates slowly. A nice cap of lacing is left on top and there is some lacing left on the side of the glass. The aroma is of fruit and yeast. It reminds me of a Hefeweizen, only the smell is a little more potent. The flavors of fruit and malt really come through in this brew, but it is not too sweet. The alcohol does come through only slightly in the flavor. There is a pleasing balance to this beer from the spice and the flavors from the malt and the yeast. The flavors of fruit really come through in this brew, but it is not too sweet. The alcohol does come through only slightly in the flavor. There is a pleasing balance to this beer from the spice and the flavors from the malt and the yeast. It is very easy to gulp, but you want to sip this and savor it. This is easily one of the best tripels if not one of the best beers I've ever tried. (935 characters)

It's been awhile since I've had one of these beauties and when I saw that I hadn't reviewed it... well, here we are. Poured into Unibroue tulip. Poured a lighty hazy straw gold color with a thick, tall, fluffy, white head that had great retention and just the right amount of lacing.

The aroma was great, yeasty, spicy, a hint of fruit and a great grain scent. On the tongue all those aspects were, if possible, amplified. Just what this style should be.

The body is full and well-rounded, without being heavy, cloying, sweet or annoying. Drinkability is, of course, nearly perfect. Crisp, interesting and as refreshing as a 9% brew can be, having several of these gorgeous creatures is easy.

Overall, this is only the second beer I've given all 5's to. Chimay White is one of my top 5 favorite beers and this may be a better example of the style. A serious must try. (871 characters)

Went to a bar called "Brude." They had this on cask, and I knew I must try it. Oh Lordy, just beautiful. Dark gold hue, yeast sediment and a perfect head. The smell teases you, letting you know this is not just any beer, this is nectar. Beautiful, full bodied taste. Malty, nice bitter hops, fruity ester dances across your tongue in some sort of mystical ballet. Smooth, heavy mouthfeel that leaves you always wanting more, more, more. If their ever was a time I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. (532 characters)

First sip with Guillermo and Bob at deli in DTLA during Artwalk summer 2011. Buy at Trader Joes $7.50 for bomber or Total Wine $9.99 four small bottles. (152 characters)

poured from a bottle into a stella artois glass

honey orange color with a nice fluffy head. not much lacing, but I think it's less from the beer and more from the glass

smells like sour citrus and toasted bread and a bit floral

taste is sour fruit and maybe some banana. definitely gets better as it warms up.

feels sharp on the tongue, highly carbonated but still creamy

this is one of my favorite beers (409 characters)

Saved for my 500th Review.
Pours a hazy golden sunrise color with a tremendous towering white head that slowly dissipates in chunks leaving a rocky lace and spider webs across the glass. Nose is lots of fruity esters with notes of banana, clove, bubblegum, and a bit of spicy alcohol. Fairly full in body with a very fine champagne-like carbonation that is oh so smooth. Taste begins with a good deal of fruitiness (nectarine, pear, peach, mango, and white grape) and flowery honey blended with peppery clove. Next comes some powdery yeasts and a bit of bready malt followed by a touch of drying alcohol (which, considering the 9% ABV, is very well hidden indeed). The End of the World—the flagship beer from one of the world’s finest breweries, and one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious. (800 characters)

a - pours a murky golden-amber; head is three fingers of luscious white foam with streaky lacing

s - intense aroma of apples, citrus and coriander

t - a complex hoppy and malty delight

m - wonderfully smooth, with a champaign-like effervescence

d - an absolutely unmatched Tripel,this is truly "the end of the earth"

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass (377 characters)

All I can say about this beer is WOW!!! This is the best tripel and one of the best beers I have ever had. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, best before 3-3-13, into a Delirium Tremens globe.

A - Pours a beautiful 3 finger head that retains very well. Has
a pretty golden/amber color that's cloudy with yeast
particles.

S - Has a noticeable alcohol smell with that of cloves and spice
notes. Also has a banana aroma.

T - Taste spicy yet, mellow, with a fruity complex to it. An
alcohol taste is also present.

M - Very smooth on the palate with mild carbonation.

D - This one of the most drinkable beers I have ever drank.
Even with the high ABV of 9%, it goes down smooth.

I will drink this beer anytime, anywhere. It is a masterpiece of brewing excellence. I think most beer snobs like me would agree. (817 characters)

Drinking La Fun Du Monde will have you feeling fin-tasktic and fin-taboulous! It is truly an exceptional beer that is difficult not to love.

Long before my 2002-era craft beer enlightenment I had heard of this beer being available in Canada from friends and how it was absolutely awful. Some time in 2002 or 2003 I tried it for myself and thought that I may need to get new friends as the beer I tried was exceptional!

The beer has all of the typical characteristics of a Belgian Golden Ale - light in color, bright crisp taste, very effervescent and high in alcohol. The head is perfect - light but not too much.

Available in both 12oz and 750ml bottles, I usually choose the 750ml bottles myself. Many a night has Fin put a smile on my face! (746 characters)

Personally my favorite beer. Hence the straight 5.0 rating. It looks right, smells rights and tastes right. It has a wonderfully complex flavor that no other beer I have ever tried has lived up to. They all seem to simple in comparison.

I always have a stash of 750ml bottles around for consumption. (300 characters)

For a long time this was my all time favorite beer. That was when I almost exclusively drank Belgian beer and Stouts. Although it has fallen from my top spot I still have to say it is my favorite Belgian style beer and in my top ten. The mouth feel, the gentle sweetness, the smell and color all do it for me and I remember the first time pulling the glass away from my lips and me saying "this is the BEST beer I have ever had!" But I digress, I love you Fin Du Monde and I'm happy to say it bolstered a few points for Canada in my book. (538 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

02/04/15 On tap at Barleycorn, NYC. Somethings never change and that's for the better.

07/02/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. A favorite from the bottle, so on tap is like seeing it 'in person' after listening to the album for so long. I love this beer. Please serve it at my funeral. (286 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

This is great beer.

I really wished i had reached for this instead of Molson XXX on my Senior class trip to Montreal in '99. I had a Molson XXX and swore i'd never have another "Gasoline and piss frenchie beer" for the rest of my life.

It's almost sessionable at 9% in my opinion. The aftertaste is hanging around a bit much, and there's a warming in my far lower abdomen, but other than that this goes down EXCEPTIONALLY smooth. (431 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue