La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,473
3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

My first Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I don't think this is my favorite style, but I can definitely appreciate the complexity of this style.

A: Pours a light hazy golden with a tremendously fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Strong aromas. I'm not sure I have the correct vocabulary to describe them accurately. Fruits (maybe citrus) come to mind.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Srong malts, good hops, and fruity sweetness comes through as it warms. For 9% abv, alcohol is well hidden

M&D: Medium body and creamy mouthfeel. I couldn't drink more than one of these at a time, but I would enjoy this again after a nice dinner.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

I have never ventured into this style before, and this wont stop me from trying others and possibly giving this another go, but I wasn't a big fan of this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Maybe I wasn't ready for the yeast but this sure packs a ont of it in. Will give a try again in the future along with other tripels though

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer has been growing on me. My girlfriend loves it, and the first time I had it I literally almost threw up, I thought it was way too yeasty and sweet.
But the more sips I have taken throughout a few years, the more it grows on me.

It smells amazing, and the taste would be perfect if it was just a little less sweet. Basically that's why I love Tripel Karmeliet - it's like a slightly less sweet and yeasty Fin Du Monde. Maybe one day I'll drink a whole glass and enjoy it.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance - uncaps with a rush of air and wispy, smoky trails from the bottle. The color is a slightly hazed straw/yellow with a fizzy white.

Aroma - the yeast gives it most of its character here - doughy, banana with other fruits, clove.

Taste - much the same as the nose. Sweet malt-derived start, estery banana and spicy yeast chiming in. Some fruitiness as well, though indistinct. A smooth finish, nothing new going on, just a sweet, barely detectable abv warmth. For 9%, this beer hides it well.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and champagne-like. Light body.

Drinkability - though the tripel is not my favorite style, I found this to be a good sipping beer and a fine choice to help me get through the last week of winter 2008.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

App: Hazy cider in color with tiny bubbled head. Very foamy head. No lacing, average retention.

Nose: Pepper, cider, pear and peaches.

Taste: Soft yeast, pear and peaches. Crisp carbonation with malty sweetness. 9% alcohol is well hidden.

Notes: Very good.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I've had this one around for a while now, over a year and a half. I always thought I had reviewed it but I guess I hadn't. Belgian Pales are finally starting to come around for me, typically this hasn't been my favorite style.

Appearance is a light, golden color. Almost light yellow. Poured a little too much off and resulted in plenty of yeast floaties in its clear body. Huge pure white head on the pour. Reduced quickly but left a nice half inch foam cap on the top. Left a nice coating of solid lace in my glass.

Smell is spicy and sweet. Corriander and white pepper predominate with some subtle citrus smells, a bit of orange rind and some pear. Typical for the style, but simple and clean in this example.

Solid malty body to start with, a bit earthy actually. Some citrus and light fruits come in next, pear and apple, followed with a bit of light spice. Finish is grassy with some straw. My guess is that the bit of age this has brought out the maltiness over the already light hops and spiciness. This is still a nicely balanced beer though.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium. Most likely it is heavier than it appears, there is a fair amount of carbonation which makes this crisp on the tongue, but weakens the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is okay. Like I said, I'm not a huge belgian pale fan, but this one comes across nicely balanced and well flavored. The prickly feel on the tongue and stomach warming nature hurt this a bit. I just think that a clean, light flavor natured beer with a lot of carbonation shouldn't feel heavy on the stomach.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A Champagne like effervescent pour- in sync with the French-Canadian roots, I guess. Good head and retention of 3/4 inch or better.

A hazy gold to orange look with some spice and grain (wheat) in the aroma.This carries into the flavor. A disarmingly smooth and drinkable brew.

I put it right up there with the closer to home New Belgium Trippel.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Pours a hazy golden color that has a nice two finger head which settles down leaving a nice white coating on top of my glass. Lot's of carbonation going and a very nice lacing profile.

S - Aroma of peaches, pineapple, and spicy yeast and bread. There is also a hint of a peppery flavor that I pick up.

T - A sweet fruity and spicy first taste which smooths out and transitions to a dry and bitter finish. There is a distinct clover flavor in addition to some spicy hops on the back end. The 9% alcohol is extremely well hidden in this beer.

M - Full bodied beer with lots of carbonation on board. The foamy head remains a constant component of the beer throughout.

D - Very drinkable and smooth with very little alcohol warmth. This is dangerously drinkable and delicious. Very nice offering.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours a cloudy golden/yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades to nothing - perhaps a slight whispiness, but no crown at all. Nose has a slight spiciness to it - reminds me of apple cider. Bit of citrus. Taste has slight spincess as well with nice fruity/floral layers. Moderate aftertaste that lingers for a bit. Mouthfeel is fairly medium with fairly mild carbonation, in my opinion. This brew kind of reminds me of chardonnay. Quite drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Whoa! Maybe I've lived in North Carolina too long but I might not ready for a 9% ABV brew. Received this today in a beer of the Month Club and cracked this one first after checking out all these reviews. I have no comparisons in this style or alcohol content yet but I'm in for a treat. Poured a hazy yellow with very nice carbonation. Floral aroma and a real spicy kick to the taste. However, can taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel fantastic. One bottle went to the head . . . impressive. This is a different league for me and I may be ready to step up to the plate.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Friends have been talking about this beer for a while, thus I was excited to try it.

A- Golden yellow, with a beautiful white head that lingered fourfinger for a while.

S- Yeast, pepper, and maybe clove. Others like this smell. Me not really.

T-Fruit and spices. Can taste the alchohol.

M- High Carbonation and thin to medium taste.

D- Would I drink it again? Yeah. But not any time soon. I could see how lovers of this style would go crazy for this well made beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A- Darker and more yellow than a wit, sizable white head at pour, steady carbonation (small bubbles) keeps it present. Fairly clear.

S- Good smell. Slight spice, very wit-like.

T- A lot going on. A wheatiness, a bit medicinal, bubble gum, some coriander ... slight banana.

M- Medium-bodied, rather smooth with just slightest dry feel.

O- Very tasty and more complex than most.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

@home. Bought in Trader Joe's in Daly City, CA.

A: Golden color. Puffy, creamy head like slightly whipped cream.

S: Predominantly spicy. Coriander. Floral. Corn. Citrusy. Honey. Yeasty.

T: Banana, clove, corn - reminds me of a Hefeweizen in that aspect. Malt sweetness - not dry, but not sweet enough to make it cloying (FG 1.012?). Hops balance out the candi sweetness.

M: Medium body. Plenty of carbonation.

O: It is a drinkable, pleasant beer. However, it is also nothing especially complex with spicy notes reigning.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Originally sampled 31 July 2002. A cloudy, pale gold in appearance. It had a large, frothy white head and lots of champagne-like bubbles. It reminded me somewhat of a white beer. Its taste is slightly sweet & fruity. I found it to be very enjoyable and I'd have it again

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A - Very faint pale yellow. Small head. Could be lots better.

S - Sour smell.. some spice and some orangy peel.

T - Right along with the smell, some spice and a orangy tang. There is an overall sourness that is not impressing me.

M - Medium carbonated, some creamyness but thin over all.

D - Easy to drink.. gets better as it warms. The 9% is hidden well. But overall its to tangy and citrusy for my taste.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a light copper with a one finger head with carbonation bubbles rising steadily. Leaves decent lacing. The smell is of wheat, citrus, and perhaps a little bit of grapefruit. Tastes very much like a wheat ale, Although very pleasant without the lemon dish soap aftertaste. Some mild citrus, very faint hops, And light malt. The mouthfeel keeps the same flavors although it greatly opens ip the wheat. the citrus also comes through a bit more. Overall, It reminded me of a very good wheat ale. Would I buy it again? Yes, although I am not a huge fan of any beer with wheat flavor. But this one was good.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, with a best before date of 09-09-07, into a goblet glass. Presented itself with an opaque golden color with a rich head which devolved into persistent lacing. Smelt fresh and spring-like with an effervescent scent. Initially tasted of apples with a slight alcohol aftertaste. As it warmed, I detected an increasingly pleasant taste that reminded me of cola with a hint of sweet citrus. Excellent balance of carbonation and smoothness. Easy to sip and equally easy to return to the cooler for another 750ml bottle. Fine example of this style. Kudos to Unibroue for another outstanding product.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: A golden wheat color with a thick, fluffy, enormous white head.

Smell: The smell is all Belgian Strong Pale; sweet candy with spice, and some pilsner notes come through as well.

Mouthfeel: It feels a bit heavy...more so than I would have expected. The carbonation is significant, but not overwhelming.

Taste: Based on the pilsner notes, I was expecting (and maybe hoping) for a bit more bitterness. This beer is all candy and yeast/malt up front. That is followed by some lemon, coriander, orange, and a hint of plum. There is scarely any hop presence. The warmth from the alcohol is evident throughout, but it never becomes obtrusive.

Drinkability: One 12oz. bottle was enough for me. It is very tasty, but the sweetness stands out quite a bit, which limits the amount I can consume. One bottle was the perfect amount for me.

Overall: This beer has a very pleasant flavor, even if it isn't my favorite Unibroue offering. The sweet and spice are the dominant flavors, which makes it a bit unbalanced for a Belgian Strong Pale in my opinion. Even so, if this were my beer during the end of the world, I would certainly be content to check out on this note.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I've had several other Unibroue offerings (I think I take it for granted given the readily available spread of offerings from Unibroue) but I've never tried their flagship top rated beer.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange colour with a thumb of light egg white head which quickly dissipates leaving some fine lacing.

S - Scent is a bit chalky with spices and burnt roasted malts masked by cardboard cork presence. Not terrible, but I was a bit disappointed with the nose on this one. The chalky scent dissipated after about 10 minutes revealing some cloves and cinnamon, which was nice.

T - The flavours are much like the scent, with the spices dominating (cloves, cinnamon and bit of pepper on the finish), followed by burnt malts. The alcohol is noticeable and definitely lingers a bit, leaving a warming feeling on the finish.

M - Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bursting into big bubbles on the tongue, followed by a smooth finish. No complaints here.

D - Overall, this is a very tasty offering from Unibroue. I find some of the true Belgian offerings a little less harsh, but don't take that as meaning this isn't worthy. It's a very tasty tripel, I've just found some others that mask the ABV a little better. Worthy to any tripel fan, and I'm proud that a Canadian brewer is able to produce such a quality tripel.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Unibroue tulip. This beer pours a hazy golden orange with a big, frothy 2 finger head that melted into a thin layer on top of the beers surface. A steady line of carbonation shot up steadily rejuvenating the head. The aroma is citrus, lemons and oranges, up front with hints of clove and banana coming through. The taste is really sweet. Just a bit to much for me. It really overpowers the other flavors in the beer. I find it quite a bit distracting. Notes of vanilla, oranges and clove come through also. The mouthfeel is full bodied but still light on the tongue. While triples are not my favorite style, I definitely think I might have another one after this.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours a gorgeous crisp golden with a monsterous head that will rise from the glass. The smell is of banana yeast and butter cups. A nice buttered bread with honey tones. The taste is a banana spice with a nice sweet banana breat nutty finish. A well rounded explosive beer. Very nice.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours a hazy apricot, with a heavy thick head.
Armoas of sweet apricot flesh, candy sugar & subtle spices.
Complex flavours of tropical fruit & candy. Sweet & spicy notes, with a musky hint.
Has a good mouthfeel and drinking it was a nice experience. Couldn't drink too many, though.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Hazy, light color. Many cascading bubbles. Thick head which settles into a nice lace. Sweat, malt aroma with citrus undertones. Alcohol scent is hiding in the background. Extremely light tasting, with a melting warmness from the alcohol which covers the tongue. The alcohol flavor is hidden behind a blend of light malt and citrus. Nothing is overpowering here. Everything is subtle. You might think you are drinking a "small" summer beer, as the 9% of this one is so well masked. This one could sneak up on you, if you had the opportunity to have more than a couple.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A - A golden color with an unfiltered haze. Pours with alot of head that quickly disappears to almost nothing.

S - A sweet, spicy, citrus like scent.

T - A sweet but also tart cider with a great deal of alcohol behind it. Apple cider it what I would say it reminds me of.

M - A surpricing amount of carbonation. If you keep some in your mouth for a few seconds, you can feel the carbonation build up in your mouth.

D - A little too sweet and tart for my taste but a good example of the style.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue