La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,821 | Hads: 9,233
3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into large red wine goblets.

Pale orange, very pretty, with a small off white head that shrinks to wisps. Strong belgian yeasty aroma. Strong esters of fruit. Way too fizzy. There is a short, harsh bitterness followed by moderate candi sugar. Apple mostly. Thick. Alcohol noticeable. Not very smooth. Full bodied.

Overall: I'm not a belgian connoisseur first and foremost. I had a hard time finishing this. (419 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A: cloud-like, frothy white head sits on a hazy golden body. riping carbonation almost tfighting

S: flower-like bouquet. reminds me a little of a biere de garde with the fruit/bread qualities im getting. sweet bread from the malt reminds me that it is a tripel. yeasty esters. a real little bit of chalky hops at the finish.

T: sweet fruits, not too overpowering. soft pear. a little bit of sour/tartness. pear definitely lingers on the palate on the finish. interesting flavor. hard to believe this thing is 9%abv!

M: the body is actually a little lighter than i expected. a little too light compared to most other tripels.

D: a good tripel, but i wouldn't say great. just a little too light in the body. first tripel where i got more in the nose than in the sip.
side note: this was served from a 12oz. bottle with a foil wrapped crown. i used an opener to pop it and was surprised/shocked to see that it was a screw top. hmmmm. (936 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L (3.75) - This beer is a nice cloudy yellow color. HUGE head on top. Too much, really.

S (4) - The smell is sometimes cloves, sometimes metallic, sometimes just that light malt smell.

T (3.75) - My first sip was disappointing. Just not there. As I drank more, I get the grain taste, along with a bit metallic tastes. A little alcohol taste at the end.

F (4) - mouthfeel is okay. Nice carb, but a little dry.

O (3.75) - This beer was alright. Not especially flavorful, or anything of note. I feel if it was produced by a less prestigious brewery, people would rank it lower. I also am not going to get overly excited for "High ABV." High ABV is fine, but it doesn't make a mediocre beer good. (711 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Great beer for entertaining. To hell with wine!! Popping the cork and serving this beer with a nice meal of pork or chicken will be an experience for any guest.

The flavor is very rich and intense, maybe a bit confusing. Your taken aback but in a good way the first time you try this. As someone who eats green olives on cans of smoked fish and very much loves intense flavors, this is a gem of a beer.

After being thoroughly impressed with this beer and drinking many of them, I can say that I do not prefer this as a session beer. The strength gets too obvious after a beer or two and it is better left as a novelty for me, like I mentioned, being served with meals for special occasions

I hear the same things about this beer from anyone who has tried this beer, they cant believe its %9. It is rare to have people who do not usually like the taste of beer in general appreciating a %9 beer! I think it is the licorice that transforms the strong alcohol note into a spicy one, I perceive the same thing with sambuca or ouzo. (1,031 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Kinda skeptical as this is a tripel from Canada. Belgian style beers are in my top tier of beer styles so i am quite picky. Smell was okay. The look of the beer was a tad light for my rxperience w/ tripels. Taste was okay, not authentic solid belgian. Overall its quite decent for Canada. U may want to pass on this beer and pickup a belgian tripel.
A- (353 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot. (1,313 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

33CL BOTTLE POURED INTO DUVEL GLASS.

a - hazy orange blonde glow, creamy thick 4 finger head sitting atop, brussels lace great.

S - cinnamon and spices really hit me here amongst a sublte alcohol kick, no real apparent hops or malt there, maybe a slight tart grapefruit?

T- reminescent of a high abv hefe weizen. Lots of banana and cloves, spices tingle the tongue again. A sweet alcohol kick as the aftertaste linger, very well balanced between flavours and alcohol

M- high carbonation, but very creamy

D- a fine brew but dare i say i prefer delirium tremens. This is just a touch too tart for my tongue compared to others. The beer looks great and i wouldnt knock it back, but i would take a tremens before it. (727 characters)

From a 750mL to a wine glass

This beer poured a golden yellow with a lot of suspended sediment. This could have been the result of the hour or two I gave it to cool and settle out before tasting after I purchased it, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 1/2" of foamy head which lingered to the end of the glass. Bubbles constantly like a glass of champagne.

Smells very wheaty. This is kind of suprising from a tripel. Can't detect alcohol in the aroma, well hidden for a 9.0%

Experienced a sharp bite of carbonation at first, which fades to a very wheaty body. Reminded me of Hoegaarden for some reason. I find this confusing for the style, though it was not altogether unpleasant. This mellowed to an almost candy-sweet aftertaste, which lingered to the next sip. Didn't get much hoppiness, maybe just a bit of bitter. A lot of wheat though.. Alcohol was again very well hidden for a beer of this strength.

Mouthfeel was soda-like and fizzy. Not too full, reminded me of a mouth full of sprite.

Overall, I'm not sure if I got a strange batch or what, but this beer was not what I was expecting. I'm a big fan of tripels, and La Fin kind of threw me for a loop. It wasn't bad really, just took me by suprise I suppose. I'll definitely be trying this again to see if I had a fluke experience or what. (1,310 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

a: two fingers of bubbly long-lasting fluffy white head sits on a cloudy rust colored body; gorgeous

s: sweet sugar is the first to hit the nose followed by scents of pears and apples followed by spices and just a hint of alcohol

t: a lot dryer than i would have thought; raw wheat and grains is predominant followed by some cidery/vinegary fruit flavors; winter spices and alcohol round out the taste.

m: pretty creamy and a little syrupy with light carb

d: for me this is not the most flavorful tripel but still a very good offering with some interesting and complex flavors (580 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

I've had this brew many times, but never got around to reviewing it. So here goes...

Bottle stamped: J281007440

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with an orange hue. About 1 finger of bright white head which reduces to a thick ring, leaving some good lacing behind. Some carbonation is coming off the bottom of the glass.

S: Nose is of cloves, some bananas, small citrus notes, and some esters.

T: Spicy and sweet. Light fruit notes with some faint pepper notes in the background. I'm also getting some very small acidic notes, dry finish.

M: Light/medium-bodied, good carbonation which cleanses the palate well. The 9% ABV is almost non existent. A very easy drinking tripel. (678 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

The End of the World arrived in my glass an orange-yellow color and held thick lacing. A great beer to look at and admire.

The smell was a foggy and floury (and yeasty) orange peel and spice, but it was too little and too far away for me..

The alcohol in the taste seemed somewhat overpowering. It diminished as I drank, but never really completely put me at ease. An orange liqueur taste felt its way through--and I thought of Grand Marnier. An ample hop finish.

The mouthfeel was really lacking for me in this otherwise
uni(brou)que brew. (550 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a hazy corn/gold colour, frothy 1/2 inch head that stays through out, apparent high carbonation visible.

S: bubble gum, coriander, cloves, sweet oranges, ripe apples.

T: I get fruit cake. Good old fruits with spices and alcohol in the background. Cloves are present with some coriander. Yeast flavours dominate the palate with an undertone of bitterness. The finish is sweet.

M: Great carbonation, cleans the palate but does not have the puckering feel that other Unibroue products have.

O: This is a very well enjoyable beer. It's not overly complex, flavours are a bit hidden and it is sweeter then bitter on the balance scale. I think it's a great introduction to a Tripel. (690 characters)

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

A. It pours a beautiful dark yellow with a thick white head which last for awhile, no lacing.

S. I smell belgian yeast followed by some sweet light fruit. As the beer warmed a little I began to detect some spice(clove) at the end.

T. It tastes like very sweet malt and has some sweet fruit in the back ground. It tastes more like a Belgian strong ale to me as i am not getting the complex flavors i expected.

M. Its pretty thin with some carbonation that fades quickly

O. I really enjoyed this beer but expected more complexity in the flavor. I would not hesitate to get another bottle as it is delicious. (650 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

Drumroll...

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon. (2,429 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Got this bottle at the flying saucer in Charlotte NC.
Pours a bright yellow hazy body with a nice froathy white head that disappears pretty quickly but maintains a thin film.
Smells of dried apples, sweet funky esters, dried grassy hops and lots of tart belgian styled funk.
Taste heavy of caramel, corn husks, grassy undertone and a hint of raisens. There's some definite sweet, belgian ester and dextrins floating in there making an hard to describe sweet, funky blend.
Finishes moderately dry and a little tart.
Very smooth and drinkable for the abv and over all style (571 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. It hazy a hazy unfiltered amber color that I like. There is so much carbonation rising for the first couple minutes that it looks like an underwater volcano. Nice persistent lacing. The aroma is lemon, a bit nutty, and a bit too yeasty for my tastes. The flavor is rich, grain and mild hops, nutty, yeasty, and a bit herbal--like Ricola cough drops. Mouth feel is thick and creamy. This is a style of ale that I am not familiar with. I see so many if you rating this ale very high, and saying it is a perfect example of a tripel. I think my rating is influenced by my limited experience with and understanding of this style. Certainly very good, to most everyone else, outstanding. (718 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Marked "Best before 10-11-14" on the bottle.
This was a difficult beer to review. I had this several times long before I got into beer and have not had it in several years.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a yellow golden color with a three finger head, which quickly dissipated, and left almost no lacing.

Smell's very sweet. I smell some banana, a little bit of yeast, and a little bit of booze (very subtle).

Taste is also very sweet- not like the tripels that I know and love (Delirium Tremens, St. Bernardus, De Dolle Dulle Teve). Definitely sweet malts and a little alcohol coming through along with a bit of yeast. There's an additional characteristic to the sweetness that is hard to describe- for me though it's too sweet without enough Belgian yeast backing.

Mouthfeel is excellent- medium light body with excellent carbonation. This doesn't taste like a tripel to me- all of Unibroue's beers have a unique characteristic. I wish I knew the ingredients and the process. (999 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

I poured into my glass to a large pillowy, white head. It is yellow in color. The aroma is filled with lemon and spice. I also detect notes of alcohol and banana. The taste is citrus, banana, alcohol, and spice. It is quite pleasant on a sunny spring day. I get a slight warming from the alcohol. It is a good beer, but it is not my favorite style.

Cheers! (358 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Aromas of Belgian yeast, light honey, tart fruit and a hint of biscuity malt. As it warms a bit you get some more breadiness and an almost champagne/grape smell emerges.

The taste is fairly smooth and has notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The yeast gives a slight pepper note as well. This beer is very complex and some of the flavors are hard to place. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation.

Overall this beer has great complexity and satisfying flavors. Definitely one of my favorite and more flavorful triples around and I will most likely have it again. (754 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Bubbly white head billows up with the pour then disintegrates into a ring that clings to the sides. Gorgeous golden with just the right amount of haze. Color and clarity are perfect but head is weak. .

Smell: Wonderful fruit esters from the yeast reminiscent of apricot or peach. The alcohol spice as well as peppery clove is detectable. A sour touch typical of the Unibroue strain. No hops or malt character detectable in the nose.

Taste: Delicious malt sweetness with apricot notes followed by the peppery clove spiciness and alcohol warmth. The high alcohol content gives a hot solvent quality on the throat. Enjoy the tingling spiciness on the lips and palate. Essentially not anything noticeable from the grains or hops. The aftertaste is hot and dry. I wish the grist gave more depth and that the hops showed me something. I feel the taste and smell rely essentially entirely on the yeast. Thank god it is a great strain.

Mouthfeel: High fuzzy carbonation with medium body. This is about perfect

Drinkability: Well done. There are better Tripels but not many in the Western Hemisphere can top this one. (1,125 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

What a great experience this beer was. I've had to change my review on it having polished off 8 of them this month. At first, i wasn't sure about this beer (or the Maudite), but I have discovered that they are really fine brews.

The head quickly diminishes and leaves you with a bright yellow pint of beer. Smells like a hoppy wheat beer and has similar grapefruit notes.

The taste is outstanding. A blend of pear, hops and alcohol that don't overpower each other, but rather fit smoothly into one another. (512 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Appears a hazy, light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of estery pepper, cloves, citrus, and orange with a tropical fruit salad aroma coming through.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with that signature spicy tropical fruit. There is also a vanilla cream flavor that comes through in the taste.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly spiced with spritzy carbonation tickling the tongue. (477 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

This was poured into a tulip glass.

A - golden straw color, slightly hazy, thick foamy head with good retention

S - sweetly malty with hop accents (Styrian Goldings or Saaz perhaps?) as it warms the hops are more readily present, there's some yeasty fruitiness, but perhaps not as much as expected

T - sweet malt followed by a relatively strong hop finish for a Belgian-style beer, also very dry on the finish

M - light to medium body, high carbonation

D - This is a decent Belgian strong ale, but it's a bit hoppy and thinner than I expected. I really wanted to adore this beer as I've heard so much about it, but it really didn't quite live up to my expectations. (670 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 4 pk of bottles from Wegmans Holt Rd on 3/23/13. price $ 10.99.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a St Bernardus chalice, served around 50 f.

appearance: hazy lemon yellow with a 1 finger sugar white head. not much lacing.

aroma: sugar cookies with lemon glaze.

mouthfeel: full, solid but a little lifeless.

taste: crystal malt with lemon zest that provides the flavor and the bitterness.

notes: Mt first Unibroue bottle and I must say I am a little disappointed. Simple taste, not bad but lacking complexity of some Tripels. (538 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

A - I say good, mostly because it's shocking. Pour out of the bottle and it is a very pale, slightly cloudy, yellow. Nothing at all like I was expecting from a triple.

S - Spices, something sweet, maybe a little clove in there. Very mild smelling.

T - For a 9%, I am not tasting any alcohol in this. Lot of clove, some fruit and yeast.

M - Medium to medium-light bodied, some nice carbination.

D - Ridiculously drinkable. I could put these away often and quickly and probably drink myself to death. Maybe it's just the triple distilling, but this goes down too smoothly and too easily for how much alcohol is in there. Nice, mild tasting. (644 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue