La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,164 | Reviews: 2,857
3.81/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 4 pk of bottles from Wegmans Holt Rd on 3/23/13. price $ 10.99.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a St Bernardus chalice, served around 50 f.

appearance: hazy lemon yellow with a 1 finger sugar white head. not much lacing.

aroma: sugar cookies with lemon glaze.

mouthfeel: full, solid but a little lifeless.

taste: crystal malt with lemon zest that provides the flavor and the bitterness.

notes: Mt first Unibroue bottle and I must say I am a little disappointed. Simple taste, not bad but lacking complexity of some Tripels.

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%

A - I say good, mostly because it's shocking. Pour out of the bottle and it is a very pale, slightly cloudy, yellow. Nothing at all like I was expecting from a triple.

S - Spices, something sweet, maybe a little clove in there. Very mild smelling.

T - For a 9%, I am not tasting any alcohol in this. Lot of clove, some fruit and yeast.

M - Medium to medium-light bodied, some nice carbination.

D - Ridiculously drinkable. I could put these away often and quickly and probably drink myself to death. Maybe it's just the triple distilling, but this goes down too smoothly and too easily for how much alcohol is in there. Nice, mild tasting.

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass at cellar temperature.

L - Pale gold color, hazy, with a 3 finger white creamy head. Looks like you could eat it with a spoon. Crazy good retention and nice lacing.

S - Spicy yeast aroma, almost witbier-like, which kind of caught me by surprise, citrus aromas like orange and lemon, and some other spices as well.

T - Follows the aroma with a spicy yeast bite, the sweetness and tanginess of the citrus flavors, and more spicy flavors like cloves coming through. Slightly bitter at the finish. No alcohol noticeable at all which is remarkable for 9% ABV.

F - Medium-bodied, definitely well-carbonated, with a crisp and dry finish. Creamy, mouth-coating texture especially if you swish it around in your mouth a little bit. Still no sign of the alcohol, which is astounding.

O - I've heard a lot of good things about this beer and it was definitely tasty. I'm not going to say I haven't had better Tripels, but one sure positive regarding this beer is the way it hides the alcohol. No sign of it anywhere at any point. The major downside is that it just smells and drinks way too much like a witbier for my taste. Nevertheless, it is highly drinkable and seems well-suited for a hot summer day.

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%

This brew is big on head as it pours into a tulip glass. The yeast clouds the orange hue and swirls through the glass. The aroma is a flower that I just can't place. The taste is a sweet, peppery spiced ale; the alcohol is pronounced as is the yeast and malt. The consistency is smooth and chewy, a true mouthfeel. The drinkability suffers only because for what ever reason the brew dries out my sinuses everytime I dirnk it.

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz. twist off bottled pored into a snifter. pores a light golden color with a small white head that fades away to nothing. massive amounts of yest sediment in the bottle.

smell is spicey and hoppy. hints of fruits, wheats and candy sugar.

taste has a nice bubblegum flavor to it. a little mediciney as it gets warmer though. also yeasty and wheaty. i was actually expecting a little more character to the taste. a little dissapointed.

full bodied and dry aftertaste.

this wasn't as good as i expected. the smell was the dominate part of this brew. the taste and smell were way off from each other. not a bad brew overall, i just thought it wasn't as good as it seemed. oh well. was worth the try.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

This is a pretty nice beer, don't get me wrong, but I've tried it numerous times and still don't think it lives up to the hype. It's pretty with a tall white head and hazy straw yellow body.It smelled sweet and spicy (corriander) with a similar flavor. I just find the flavor to fall flat, I get some, but not a great complexity out of it. Still, it's very easy to drink and with little hint of the alcohol. I'd probably go for Duvel instead of this though.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

La Fin Du Monde: The End of the World. Had it in a 750 ml bottle, with the cork top. Until I joined BA, I would never have bought such a beer. Until I reviewed so many (now 100! Beers), I would have gushed over this beer. But I must say, it seems like a paler version of its Belgian counterparts. It was a wonderful looking beer, but had huge chunks of the sediment floating in the second glass, despite my best efforts to pour it steady. Cloudy, golden appearance. Aroma was very pleasant of citrus and yeast. The beer itself was very nice, crisp and clean (almost airy) with a mix of bananas and citrus (fresh oranges). All in all, this beer did not have the aggressive characteristics of a beer like Duvel, and at six bucks a bottle, I was looking for more.

Original Rating Date:
May 18, 2008

High quality tripel. Very easy to drink, made a good summer beer. Cloudy golden hue. Fruity, lemony smell. Taste is well rounded, fruity and spicey. Alcohol not very detectable. This isn't really my style but it's enjoyable. I just wish the Unibroue products were a little easier on the wallet.

First had: bottle at Washington House, Sellersville, PA

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a small white head that disappeared almost instantly. Yeasty aroma with lots of fruits, and a bit of spice. Bready taste, malty, light sugars, a touch of spice, fruit salad: banana, peach, pear, and a lot of sour orange and grapefruit zest, giving an instant drying effect. Medium mouthfeel, a bit syrupy, with a crisp, dry finish. Pleasantly drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

341mL bottle. Pours a beautiful cloudy golden with a modest white head and some yeast particulate floaties. Nose is spice, orange peel, yeast, granny-smith apples. Initial taste shows how high the carbonation is in this tripel. Lots of yeast, bubblegum, citrus, cloves, and tropical fruit. Very smooth and creamy rather than watery and acidic. Alcohol is perfectly hidden. Refreshing, not too light, and awesome! One of the first beers I ever fell in love with.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Poured into a tulip glass it produces an inch of head that leaves lacing in clumps. The appearance is golden and somewhat cloudy. The aroma is of cloves, coreander and malt. The taste is very spicy with cloves and malty richness. Maybe a bit of citrus there. The feel is rich with a clean finish.

Seems like something best sipped after a rich meal. It's not something I'd knock down while mowing the lawn.

Defintely something I'll return to when I'm in the mood for Belgian Tripel.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

This was a corked and caged 750ml bottle. Uncorked with gunsmoke showing, poured into Leffe glass as a foaming pale straw coloured liquid with slight haze. Plenty of life in the head that lasted, and easily re-energised when swirled in the glass. The smell was quite a wake-up call. Possibly one of the most unusual collection of aromas I have perceived from a beer glass. The nearest beer smell to this was from an Orval, but there was much more complexity to LFDM with sweet apples adding to the funkiness. This confusion continued in the taste; plenty of sweetness but with spice, alcohol disguised but warming.. High carbonation adding to the nice mouthfeel.

In summary, I'm still confused over this beer! I need to try it again, but I found it a little too challenging and too sweet for my palate.

EDIT: so I have tried this brew again, and I now appreciate it as a very good tripel. For this reason, I am changing the drinkability score from 3 to 4!

3.8/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle with cork closure. The label shows a "best before" date of August 2016. An easy pour into a schooner glass produced about 3/4 inch of a creamy white and exceedingly sticky head, reducing only a little between sips. The beer is a hazy, pale golden color with a darker bronze in the center, and with swirling carbonation.

The aroma is funky, with subtle yeast and malt notes, but actually quite light. The flavor mildly funky and alcoholic, with strong notes of earthy barnyard, sour, fermented fruit, and grainy malts. The alcohol accentuates the pungency of the various aroma-flavors, and imparts a port-like quality. The finish is boozy and moderately lingering, with a tart, Kirsch-like quality. The body seems fairly light.

A beer well worth a try, but I've tried others of this general style which I think are superior. The funky flavors are within bounds and there is plenty of complexity to savor.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have.

12oz bottle poured into tulip

Pours a completely hazed soft straw yellow color with some golden hues. Frothy white head bubbles up toward the rim, retaining nicely while streaking some lacing around the glass.

Spicy and fragrant in the nose with a snap of citrus and floral hops. Hints of banana and cracked pepper with clove. Toasted biscuit and light fruit with soft sweetness and a light alcohol warmth.

Crisp hops with a touch of citrus and peppery spice. Fruity notes with banana and pear. Decent sweetness, but fairly well balanced with the backbone. Biscuit and bread malts with a light toast. Finishes warm with some alcohol and spice.

Fuller medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and crisp on the tongue. It's been years since I've had this, but Unibroue really makes a nice tripel. The ABV is right on point, but not overbearing, and I enjoyed the balance of spice and hops.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Beer bottle (33cl.), tasted in 2000.

Appearance : golden color with a white foam head that leaves lacing.
Smell : lemon
Taste and mouthfeel : thin on the palate, it reveals a sweet taste. well stressed his bitterness disappears in final.
Drinkability : good beer a little too high (style triple) brewed by Unibroue in Quebec.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Pours a cloudy yellow/amber color with a 2 finger pure white head that dissipates displaying large soap-like bubbles. The smell is a pleasant fruity hoppy smell. Similar in taste fruit-wise as some of the lower ranked Unibroue products, but the hop bitterness helps this brew. I don't like this as well as Trois Pistoles, but it is still a little better than good. Still a nice experience. A votre sante!

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Another winner from Unibroue, poours toa very nice color with a nice and lasting creamy head. Nice but not overwhelming aroma and a taste that might be to strong for the novice. Also be careful when imbiding this beer has a kick...........CHEERS

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 12oz. into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow with a bleach white head, some light orange hues are noticable the longer I look. Oh how I love the smell of a Tripel! Apple, pear, clove, black pepper, yeast, and booze. Getting some earthy tones off the first sip, that black pepper is back also. This beer definitely doesn't hide the fact that it's 9%. This beer is smooth at first, but i'm not digging the carbonation on the way down. Overall a very very solid Tripel, but I've had better.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Pours a hazy golden/yellow with 2 fingers of white head that recede slowly, no lacing on the glass.

Aroma (while still cold) is yeast, honey, tart fruit and a hint of malt. As it warms a bit of breadiness and an almost "yogurt with fruit" type smell emerge.

Taste is smooth, hides 9% well, and has notes of grain, pineapple, peaches, yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness. The yeast gives a slight pepper flavor. This beer is very complex and some of the flavors are hard to place.

Mouthfeel is coating, moderate thickness and high carbonation.

Overall this beer has great complexity and satisfying flavors. It doesn't quite live up to my favorites (St. Bernardus and Karmeliet) but I would have it again.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

75cl bottle shared with larryLSB. Hazy golden orange color with a lasting white head. The aroma is yeasty and quite fruity with lots of tangy apricot and tangerine. The flavor is also yeasty, with some of that apricot sweetness, some citric tartness and alcohol. There is definitely some spiciness too. Full-bodied with lively carbonation. When I added the yeast at the end, the alcohol really smoothed out and this became a very nice tripel.

3.79/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured a cloudy light golden color with almost no head or lacing.

Smelled of apple and citrus, some banana and a slight bit of alcohol.

Tasted good, the apple and banana came to the fore, with the alcohol present in the background but not overly so/

Good mouthfeel, medium bodied with a nice carbonation sting.

This was an easy brew to sit there and savor. Not one of the best, but quite acceptable.

3.79/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz twist off bottle. Best before 3-14-15. Served in an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Light orange in color. Reminds me of peach or apricot. 2 fingers of a slightly off white head dissipated to a thin film coating and collar. Very hazy in the glass with plenty of visible carbonation

Smell: I'm getting a huge blast of fruity esters to start with (peach and apricot specifically). Followed by Belgian yeast spice, clove, slightly medicinal, pear.

Taste: Spicy/powdery yeast, clove, orange, peach/apricot, pear and apple. Nice balance between the juicy, fruit flavors and dry, powdery yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium/Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel. Carbonation is through the roof. Alcohol is hidden well though.

Overall: I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about for this one. It's a good tripel, easily available, and I'd get it again, but it's hardly the best of the style.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: golden, very clear, a big head that dissapates quickly

Smell: yeast, lemony-citrus, and belgian spice

Taste: belgian spice, sour fruit, coriander, and a bit of lemonade

Mouthfeel: medium body, very crisp, a bitter finish. I can really feel the carbonation.

Drinkability: I will have this again, but not for a while. I have other favorite from Unibroue. The alcohol content on this one is sneaky, so I do not think I would have more than two in a session.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Corked 750ml bottle-best before 02-21-08. Popped this sucker open and poured a nice light GOLD ale with tons of tight carbonation bubbles, forming a white creamy, frothy thick, two finger head (with good retention). Nice thick lacing as well.

Initial smell was of stong malt, sweet then a light yeasty aroma. let it sit a minute or so and the smell is of citrus,a tinge of alcohol backed by a more musty yeast finish.

First taste was sweet citrus and earthy with a clean smooth rinse finish, very refreshing.After that much the same with a bit of musty yeast taste, very Belgian Trappist like.Quite drinkable.

In the mouth was smooth into fizzy, mild alcohol presence and tons (almost too much) of carbonation. Bottle implies triple fermentation... very apparent with this kind of carbonation,looks impressive though.

No problem puttin this stuff away, I mean consuming. It's not my first and doubt it will be my last...cheers!

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue