La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,827 | Hads: 9,303
3.75/5  rDev -13%

Shared a bottle with my father, who actually forgot how he obtained this beer. Poured into a leffe glass. The beer pours a hazy straw-yellow color (as most tripels) with a nice long lasting head.

Smell: Light nose of tropical fruits (apricot, peach, passion fruit), wheat, spicy hops, malts and some alcohol.

Taste: Spicy hops, and again, very fruity (apple, passion fruit, mango), yeast, sweet malts. Aftertaste is slightly bitter (hops) and dry.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied but carbonation is too high.

Overall: For someone like me, who doesn't normally appreciate this style, I was very surprised. Still I think it is overrated here on BA, and that the rates given at ratebeer.com reflect the quality of this beer much better. But again, decent brew, nice and drinkable, recommendable (789 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Take this review with a grain of salt. I've enjoyed many Belgium style beers, but after this one it's pretty clear that I do not like the Tripel style.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but La Fin Du Monde is dominated by the flavor of the yeast (eludes to this on the bottle). It is literally all I could taste with the exception of some citrus notes. It was like drinking a biscuit, and it sat really heavy in my stomach after. The bottle said it was brewed with spices, but those took such a backseat to the yeast that I could not pick up what spices they were.

All that being said I tried to review this beer with the style in mind, even if I don't dig it. (672 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%

750 ML corked bottle. Pours a dark hazy straw color. Sweet and sticky beer. Tastes like vanilla cake,citrus,apple, and bread. Very bubbly. Light bitterness on the finish. Good Triple but not the greatest. I'd take the Maudite or Trois Pistoles over this one. (258 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy pale yellow with a huge off-white head with quickly bursting tiny bubbles. The head drops quickly, but settles about a quarter inch above the liquid. Smell is mostly sweet lemon, some yeast, and a bit of pine. Flavor is rich and sweet. Flavor is a bit of yeast, then warm honey melts in the mouth, and finishes with some undertones of butterscotch and pine. Mouthfeel is very smooth and velvety. Aftertaste lingers long and delivers more honey. This beer holds its complexity to the last drop, and is surprisingly smooth for the alcohol that it delivers. Very tasty, but low drinkability because it is so rich. (615 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

This is clearly a quality beer, I'm just not sure its quite my type. Poured from a bottle, it boasts a powerful head. The color is golden and cloudy. The smell is dominated by the unique yeasts, as is the taste, which also boasts a bit of a hoppy flavor, at least to my palate. The dominating trait is the carbonation; I find it a bit overbearing. I'm not a huge fan of the taste, which is just a personal choice. I will say the the beer seems very much of good quality. I personally prefer something different. (511 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours cloudy, a gold that is slightly orange in the heart of the glass. The nice white fluffy head has very nice retention and good lacing. Strong Belgian yeast aroma. Sweet, clove, white pepper, apple and perhaps a little banana. The flavor has a surprising tart sour apple zing to it that makes this beer quite refreshing. Plenty of clove, pear and apple meld with sweet pale malt. Alcohol is perceivable, but does not take away from the beer's flavor. Flavors added by the yeast seem to be the star of the show. Medium body with ample carbonation that lends to a luxuriously effervescent mouthfeel. Finish is tart and dry. This beer is refreshing, but I would not necessarily say it is remarkably drinkable. A very well made beer, but not one of my favorites from this brewery. (780 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy light orange/gold with a mountainous and finely textured head. Head subsides rather quickly, leaving good lacing.

Deep, complex nose of spices, herbs, yeast, and citrus.

Lively carbonation dances on the tongue, giving lift to flavors of peach jam and overripe banana. Subtle acid twang on the back end also helps keep the brew from being too heavy. Actuallly, the body seems quite light for the ABV. Finish is long, complex, and mouthwatering.

A brew that's both engrossingly complex and light on its feet, with very little of the rotten/oxidative notes that ruined the Trois Pistoles for me. (606 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This pours a very cloudy pale gold with a white head, decent lacing.

There is no distinct flavor, mostly hops.

Its taste very plain, its good, reminds me of Duvel. To me its a very high alcohol session beer. So I'd drink tihs when I get to drunk. (296 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Just finished my first 4 pack of this beer after reading most of the outstanding ratings here. Poured from a bottle dated best before 06/20/10. While I found the beer drinkable and tasty, it did not live up to the hype. My cost was $8.69 for a 4 pack. I didn't find it that much better than the Blue Moon I followed this beer with, and the Blue Moon was cheaper. Sure if you count the alchohol level is almost twice the level of a standard beer you are getting more for the money, but I'm not drinking them to get tanked... Overall, decent, probably wouldn't buy again but would say try it once for sure....

Also, whats up with the screw on caps on the bottles of this beer... thought that was BMC quallity... (710 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked this up at my favorite store in Cincinnati (Jungle Jims) along with it's next of kin Don De Dieu (reviewd later) and was pretty impressed. Like a novice I poured this wrong and the sediment came out into the glass, not a HUGE deal but it marred the taste a little. The look was a golden cloudy color with a tiny lace head that took a little time to dissappear. The citrus was strong in the odor and I could swear I tased some grapes. This was sweet, almost like a champagne with a lot of carbonation. Not a bad brew, smooth, almost too smooth. The 9% alchohol factor could definetly not be noticed. All around a nice beer. (631 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Will the head on this brew ever die?!? The thick, white foam that formed on this pouring of La Fin du Monde remained practically intact until the last sip was consumed! One has to peek underneath to examine the cloudy orange hue of this Canadian beer. The aroma is slightly underwhelming, but notes of spices and citrus are noticeable. Aspects of wheat are also (interestingly) present. The taste is light but complex: there are flavors of bright citrus and lighter malts-darker malt characteristics are present during the lingering aftertaste. What kills me the is smoothness of the mouthfeel; all the carbonation must be in the head! It nearly drinks like water, which is dangerous from a calorie/alcohol perspective. (719 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. Best before date: 01-24-12

Appearance: Gah why do these Unibroues not give any head?? A light golden colour almost devoid of any brownness. Not a very typical beer and makes me think this is going to be like a Don De Deau in how wine-like it will be. Not much carbonation coming up either.

Smell: Very wheaty and yeasty (with that unmistakable Unibroue yeast) but with a sourness like apples, bananas, and a hint of grape. Has a hint of clove but not much. Reminds me of cider or some sort of overtly sweetened juicy juice box

Taste: Very very tart. Like drinking sour apple juice. Somewhat of a honey flavour gives it a sweet finish which is rather pleasant. Definitely more of a grape flavour, and honestly made me feel like I was drinking champagne when i wasnt thinking about it. Taste is closest to golden raisins. Upon the second pour (with the most yeast in it) I could detect a lot more pronounced of a yeast flavour and the requisite nuttiness. At least its more complex than its brother the Don De Deau.

Mouthfeel: It's like drinking pop rocks the way it sizzles in your mouth. You can only slightly detect the alcohol. It seems like most of the hidden carbonation nucleates on your taste buds. Very much like champagne in its mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not a very consistantly drinkable beer on its own. Not just because of the alcohol. I wouldnt have more than one or two of these even if the abv was lower than 9%. Its very easy to drink at first, but I started to get a little sick of it as I neared the end.

I'm not sure why i differ so much from everyone else, but i suppose it just happens. Ive been around the unibroue block a little bit, and i they're just not as good IMHO as other BA's say they are. (1,766 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Light golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S- Fruit, yeast, spices, very belgian.

T- Pretty much like the nose. Spices, fruits, malts, again very Belgian (or Belgian-like I should say). Sweet and tasty. Edit: On second try, I have to say that this beer tastes a little watered-down compared to other Belgians I've had. I've had to knock the taste for that.

M/D- Perfect amount of carbonation, overall a very good beer. (426 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a 12-ounce bottle into a Mad Elf tulip glass. Pours golden- pretty much a standard appearance for a tripel. Aroma is extremely fruity; almost overwhelming. The taste almost completely matches the aroma- such an aggressive spiciness to this beer that it borders on perfumy. Overall a decent beer fr an excellent Canadian brewery, but probably on the average end of beers I've had in this style in my opinion. When I go for a Unibroue brew I go for Maudite- I find it so much better. (488 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Second time sampling this, first time reviewing for BA...

Appearance: Beer pours very fizzy, light red/gold color with a frothy head of loose white bubbles that dissipates much too quickly. Carbonation is substantial, some soapy lacing but not too much.

Aroma: Notes of apple juice, champagne, alcohol and candi sugar in the nose. It smells...fizzy. Does that make any sense?

Taste: The fizziness continues in the palate, again lending a sparkling wine character to the brew. Light malt and citrusy spices play on the tongue. Alcohol plays a small supporting role but you never get the sense you're drinking something that's 9% ABV. Carbonation scours any chance of an aftertatste here. Light and bubbly mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Hard to say. Sure, it's a nice light brew, and I can see pairing it with seafood or vegetarian dishes or enjoying a quiet spring evening with a glass. But at $7 a bottle I'm more inclined to pick up a Chimay or Hennepin. Certainly worth a look, particularly if you go for ales with a lighter profile than stouts or even ambers. (1,069 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

Served a bottle of this at the great Pasta Nostra in Norwalk - not your typical beer joint, but they have some great ones to pair with italian food, including this one.

Cloudy yellow body with a massive foamy bright white head that starts large, but simmers to a manageable cm quickly. Excellent lacing. Slightly medicinal aroma, with citrus highlights - particularly lemon. Very yeasty.

A little spicy, but what I didn't enjoy the high amount of yeast in this one. Light fruit tones, and a slight bit of citrus, nothing big though. The light body made this different from most tripel's I enjoyed, but it was an overall enjoyable drink. (638 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

A. Pours a watery yellow with large white bubbles that fade almost instantly and leave little-to-no lacing.
S. Smells strongly of wheat with citrus (orange and lemon); almost like a hefeweizen on steroids.
T. The alcohol bites up front with lemon oil and coriander. The middle is dominated by a malty sweetness. The end is quite yeasty and dry.
M. Sharp bite up front from alcohol and a high level of carbonation. While the beer itself is quite thin, the high level of carbonation allows the beer to coat your tongue and appear to be dense.
D. I'm not a fan of the prickling sensation provided with each sip; it takes away the pleasant sipping quality that I generally associate with a tripel.

While I appreciate the flavor and taste characteristics this beer has to offer, I'm not a fan of the very high level of carbonation in terms of appearance or mouthfeel. I'd like to try this on cask.

Edit: As the beer warms (and some of the carbonation dissipates), the beer becomes much more pleasurable and boozy. This only confirms that this would be splendid drawn from a cask. (1,076 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz bottle - Best by November 26th, 2011 - Bottled November 26th, 2008...About 2 years old as I pour it into my La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours a clear, light golden amber with tons of fluffy white head. Chunks of lacing are left behind and a solid stream of tiny bubbles continues to rise to the top...

Yeasty and spicy in the nose to start, definitely Belgian influenced as the yeast is very pronounced. Sweet and slightly fruity, but with a bunch of earthiness in the background, bready...

Bready and yeasty to begin, with a bit of pepper, sweet and slightly fruity in the background. Mild earthy/grassy bitterness in the finish with a touch of booze. Sweetness fades and spicing becomes more pronounced as the beer warms...

Medium bodied with higher than average carbonation, active in the mouth. Slight lingering bitterness and alcohol heat...

While I admit I am not a fan of Tripels, this may be the best of the mediocre (to me) style... (948 characters)

bouteille brune de 750ml, bouchon de liège

belle bière blonde trouble, la mousse se dissipe rapidement mais elle est très belle, petit nez de levure, belle pointe épicée en bouche, belle longueur, l'alcool se fait sentir, moins épicé que la don de dieu, moins bonne aussi, je la préfère aussi. (303 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden, hazy color with a decent head,. This smells strongly of yeast and spices.

Very nice taste a little overpowering so I'm not likely to have several. The alcohol is felt but not bitingly so. The mouthfeel is pleasant and bubbly.

Another good brew from Unibroue. (281 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Aroma was sour, yeasty, with a hint of apple, pear and some spicyness. Big white head with big bubbles hung around for about 5 minutes but dissipated quickly after. I have read about insane carbonation but the head in my glass was tame. A beautiful honey-yellow color with a few shades of orange trying to show through. Heavy carbonation on the palate but pleasant. Yeast and alcohol are immediately present but the alcohol is NOT over-bearing. I had to let this beer sit and mellow to get some sweet malt to come through all the yeast. I caught a whiff of hops as it warmed but not much bitterness to taste. I could drink two at a sitting but this Ale on Lees will warm you up. My first Unibroue and it was excellent. (718 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass:

A: This stuff is really carbonated. Light golden color with big billowy head. Good retention.

S: Typical damp towel Belgian smell. Bell peppers, spices, malty earth, dirt, tomatoes.

T: Sweet, complex mixture that tastes nice. Dark fruits, spices, and malts play center stage here. Buttery.

M: Starts out by flooding your buds with flavor, then radiates on the back of your tongue. Light bodied, finishes dry. Invites more sips.

O: I'm still trying to find a spot in my heart for Belgians. Usually they are too malty and peppery for me, and I find myself disliking the flavor. This was a decent beer with an adequate taste that many would find very enjoyable, but what I really liked was the overall mouthfeel. Refreshing. (765 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a hazy pale yellow color with large foamy white head that leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy yeast aroma with a touch of alcohol.

T: The same bready, yeasty character, from the smell, comes out strongly in the flavor and dominates throughout. There are touches of honey, malt and just a bit of alcohol (but not even close to 9.00% worth).

M: Light-to-medium body, crisp and very smooth, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: The yeast character masterfully disguises the alcohol content, which, along with the smoothness, makes this beer very drinkable. This was the first beer that I’ve had from Unibroue. It has left me with the impression that this brewery doesn’t mess around. (772 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy/hazy yelorange with a nice tight head.

Smells a bit like a hefe weizen - banana, citrus, yeastiness, breadiness, and confectioners sugar.

Clove/banana softness as I take my first sip. Bready. Yeasty. Has a candy sweetness that isnt cloying, but rather complimentary to the other flavors.

Crisp, refreshing, but also feels heavy. A decent after dinner brew to sip and relax with. (394 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimple glass. Pours an orange-hay appearance, very hazy, nice small, creamy head. Inital fruity aromas, tropical fruit, pineapples, pretty yeasty. Really nice, creamy on the palate, alot of fruits, with a soft, gentle washing effect. Some sweet banana bread fights through the mangos, peaches, and spices. Very nice drinkability. Although, I prefer the Maudite. (390 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue