Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,377
3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy light orange/gold with a mountainous and finely textured head. Head subsides rather quickly, leaving good lacing.

Deep, complex nose of spices, herbs, yeast, and citrus.

Lively carbonation dances on the tongue, giving lift to flavors of peach jam and overripe banana. Subtle acid twang on the back end also helps keep the brew from being too heavy. Actuallly, the body seems quite light for the ABV. Finish is long, complex, and mouthwatering.

A brew that's both engrossingly complex and light on its feet, with very little of the rotten/oxidative notes that ruined the Trois Pistoles for me.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This pours a very cloudy pale gold with a white head, decent lacing.

There is no distinct flavor, mostly hops.

Its taste very plain, its good, reminds me of Duvel. To me its a very high alcohol session beer. So I'd drink tihs when I get to drunk.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Just finished my first 4 pack of this beer after reading most of the outstanding ratings here. Poured from a bottle dated best before 06/20/10. While I found the beer drinkable and tasty, it did not live up to the hype. My cost was $8.69 for a 4 pack. I didn't find it that much better than the Blue Moon I followed this beer with, and the Blue Moon was cheaper. Sure if you count the alchohol level is almost twice the level of a standard beer you are getting more for the money, but I'm not drinking them to get tanked... Overall, decent, probably wouldn't buy again but would say try it once for sure....

Also, whats up with the screw on caps on the bottles of this beer... thought that was BMC quallity...

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked this up at my favorite store in Cincinnati (Jungle Jims) along with it's next of kin Don De Dieu (reviewd later) and was pretty impressed. Like a novice I poured this wrong and the sediment came out into the glass, not a HUGE deal but it marred the taste a little. The look was a golden cloudy color with a tiny lace head that took a little time to dissappear. The citrus was strong in the odor and I could swear I tased some grapes. This was sweet, almost like a champagne with a lot of carbonation. Not a bad brew, smooth, almost too smooth. The 9% alchohol factor could definetly not be noticed. All around a nice beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Will the head on this brew ever die?!? The thick, white foam that formed on this pouring of La Fin du Monde remained practically intact until the last sip was consumed! One has to peek underneath to examine the cloudy orange hue of this Canadian beer. The aroma is slightly underwhelming, but notes of spices and citrus are noticeable. Aspects of wheat are also (interestingly) present. The taste is light but complex: there are flavors of bright citrus and lighter malts-darker malt characteristics are present during the lingering aftertaste. What kills me the is smoothness of the mouthfeel; all the carbonation must be in the head! It nearly drinks like water, which is dangerous from a calorie/alcohol perspective.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. Best before date: 01-24-12

Appearance: Gah why do these Unibroues not give any head?? A light golden colour almost devoid of any brownness. Not a very typical beer and makes me think this is going to be like a Don De Deau in how wine-like it will be. Not much carbonation coming up either.

Smell: Very wheaty and yeasty (with that unmistakable Unibroue yeast) but with a sourness like apples, bananas, and a hint of grape. Has a hint of clove but not much. Reminds me of cider or some sort of overtly sweetened juicy juice box

Taste: Very very tart. Like drinking sour apple juice. Somewhat of a honey flavour gives it a sweet finish which is rather pleasant. Definitely more of a grape flavour, and honestly made me feel like I was drinking champagne when i wasnt thinking about it. Taste is closest to golden raisins. Upon the second pour (with the most yeast in it) I could detect a lot more pronounced of a yeast flavour and the requisite nuttiness. At least its more complex than its brother the Don De Deau.

Mouthfeel: It's like drinking pop rocks the way it sizzles in your mouth. You can only slightly detect the alcohol. It seems like most of the hidden carbonation nucleates on your taste buds. Very much like champagne in its mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not a very consistantly drinkable beer on its own. Not just because of the alcohol. I wouldnt have more than one or two of these even if the abv was lower than 9%. Its very easy to drink at first, but I started to get a little sick of it as I neared the end.

I'm not sure why i differ so much from everyone else, but i suppose it just happens. Ive been around the unibroue block a little bit, and i they're just not as good IMHO as other BA's say they are.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Light golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S- Fruit, yeast, spices, very belgian.

T- Pretty much like the nose. Spices, fruits, malts, again very Belgian (or Belgian-like I should say). Sweet and tasty. Edit: On second try, I have to say that this beer tastes a little watered-down compared to other Belgians I've had. I've had to knock the taste for that.

M/D- Perfect amount of carbonation, overall a very good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a 12-ounce bottle into a Mad Elf tulip glass. Pours golden- pretty much a standard appearance for a tripel. Aroma is extremely fruity; almost overwhelming. The taste almost completely matches the aroma- such an aggressive spiciness to this beer that it borders on perfumy. Overall a decent beer fr an excellent Canadian brewery, but probably on the average end of beers I've had in this style in my opinion. When I go for a Unibroue brew I go for Maudite- I find it so much better.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Second time sampling this, first time reviewing for BA...

Appearance: Beer pours very fizzy, light red/gold color with a frothy head of loose white bubbles that dissipates much too quickly. Carbonation is substantial, some soapy lacing but not too much.

Aroma: Notes of apple juice, champagne, alcohol and candi sugar in the nose. It smells...fizzy. Does that make any sense?

Taste: The fizziness continues in the palate, again lending a sparkling wine character to the brew. Light malt and citrusy spices play on the tongue. Alcohol plays a small supporting role but you never get the sense you're drinking something that's 9% ABV. Carbonation scours any chance of an aftertatste here. Light and bubbly mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Hard to say. Sure, it's a nice light brew, and I can see pairing it with seafood or vegetarian dishes or enjoying a quiet spring evening with a glass. But at $7 a bottle I'm more inclined to pick up a Chimay or Hennepin. Certainly worth a look, particularly if you go for ales with a lighter profile than stouts or even ambers.

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

Served a bottle of this at the great Pasta Nostra in Norwalk - not your typical beer joint, but they have some great ones to pair with italian food, including this one.

Cloudy yellow body with a massive foamy bright white head that starts large, but simmers to a manageable cm quickly. Excellent lacing. Slightly medicinal aroma, with citrus highlights - particularly lemon. Very yeasty.

A little spicy, but what I didn't enjoy the high amount of yeast in this one. Light fruit tones, and a slight bit of citrus, nothing big though. The light body made this different from most tripel's I enjoyed, but it was an overall enjoyable drink.

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

A. Pours a watery yellow with large white bubbles that fade almost instantly and leave little-to-no lacing.
S. Smells strongly of wheat with citrus (orange and lemon); almost like a hefeweizen on steroids.
T. The alcohol bites up front with lemon oil and coriander. The middle is dominated by a malty sweetness. The end is quite yeasty and dry.
M. Sharp bite up front from alcohol and a high level of carbonation. While the beer itself is quite thin, the high level of carbonation allows the beer to coat your tongue and appear to be dense.
D. I'm not a fan of the prickling sensation provided with each sip; it takes away the pleasant sipping quality that I generally associate with a tripel.

While I appreciate the flavor and taste characteristics this beer has to offer, I'm not a fan of the very high level of carbonation in terms of appearance or mouthfeel. I'd like to try this on cask.

Edit: As the beer warms (and some of the carbonation dissipates), the beer becomes much more pleasurable and boozy. This only confirms that this would be splendid drawn from a cask.

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz bottle - Best by November 26th, 2011 - Bottled November 26th, 2008...About 2 years old as I pour it into my La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours a clear, light golden amber with tons of fluffy white head. Chunks of lacing are left behind and a solid stream of tiny bubbles continues to rise to the top...

Yeasty and spicy in the nose to start, definitely Belgian influenced as the yeast is very pronounced. Sweet and slightly fruity, but with a bunch of earthiness in the background, bready...

Bready and yeasty to begin, with a bit of pepper, sweet and slightly fruity in the background. Mild earthy/grassy bitterness in the finish with a touch of booze. Sweetness fades and spicing becomes more pronounced as the beer warms...

Medium bodied with higher than average carbonation, active in the mouth. Slight lingering bitterness and alcohol heat...

While I admit I am not a fan of Tripels, this may be the best of the mediocre (to me) style...

bouteille brune de 750ml, bouchon de liège

belle bière blonde trouble, la mousse se dissipe rapidement mais elle est très belle, petit nez de levure, belle pointe épicée en bouche, belle longueur, l'alcool se fait sentir, moins épicé que la don de dieu, moins bonne aussi, je la préfère aussi.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden, hazy color with a decent head,. This smells strongly of yeast and spices.

Very nice taste a little overpowering so I'm not likely to have several. The alcohol is felt but not bitingly so. The mouthfeel is pleasant and bubbly.

Another good brew from Unibroue.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Aroma was sour, yeasty, with a hint of apple, pear and some spicyness. Big white head with big bubbles hung around for about 5 minutes but dissipated quickly after. I have read about insane carbonation but the head in my glass was tame. A beautiful honey-yellow color with a few shades of orange trying to show through. Heavy carbonation on the palate but pleasant. Yeast and alcohol are immediately present but the alcohol is NOT over-bearing. I had to let this beer sit and mellow to get some sweet malt to come through all the yeast. I caught a whiff of hops as it warmed but not much bitterness to taste. I could drink two at a sitting but this Ale on Lees will warm you up. My first Unibroue and it was excellent.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass:

A: This stuff is really carbonated. Light golden color with big billowy head. Good retention.

S: Typical damp towel Belgian smell. Bell peppers, spices, malty earth, dirt, tomatoes.

T: Sweet, complex mixture that tastes nice. Dark fruits, spices, and malts play center stage here. Buttery.

M: Starts out by flooding your buds with flavor, then radiates on the back of your tongue. Light bodied, finishes dry. Invites more sips.

O: I'm still trying to find a spot in my heart for Belgians. Usually they are too malty and peppery for me, and I find myself disliking the flavor. This was a decent beer with an adequate taste that many would find very enjoyable, but what I really liked was the overall mouthfeel. Refreshing.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a hazy pale yellow color with large foamy white head that leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy yeast aroma with a touch of alcohol.

T: The same bready, yeasty character, from the smell, comes out strongly in the flavor and dominates throughout. There are touches of honey, malt and just a bit of alcohol (but not even close to 9.00% worth).

M: Light-to-medium body, crisp and very smooth, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: The yeast character masterfully disguises the alcohol content, which, along with the smoothness, makes this beer very drinkable. This was the first beer that I’ve had from Unibroue. It has left me with the impression that this brewery doesn’t mess around.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy/hazy yelorange with a nice tight head.

Smells a bit like a hefe weizen - banana, citrus, yeastiness, breadiness, and confectioners sugar.

Clove/banana softness as I take my first sip. Bready. Yeasty. Has a candy sweetness that isnt cloying, but rather complimentary to the other flavors.

Crisp, refreshing, but also feels heavy. A decent after dinner brew to sip and relax with.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimple glass. Pours an orange-hay appearance, very hazy, nice small, creamy head. Inital fruity aromas, tropical fruit, pineapples, pretty yeasty. Really nice, creamy on the palate, alot of fruits, with a soft, gentle washing effect. Some sweet banana bread fights through the mangos, peaches, and spices. Very nice drinkability. Although, I prefer the Maudite.

Poured into my Duvel tulip

Appearance: A hazy light orange. Med/hi carbonation, Poured with a two finger head that did not stick around long. A little lacing that doesn't last long either.

Smell: I get apples and pears, alcohol smell is present as well.

Taste: Very fruity, I could smell the alcohol, but in my opinion it's almost undetectable to the taste. A tad on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: One of my favorite attributes of this beer is how it feels in my mouth. It fills it up. Feels heavy but very smooth.

Drinkability: I would have this beer again. Drinking mostly American pale ales, the Belgian strong ales are pretty new to me.
But I loved every one I tried so far. At 7.99 a 4 pack, I think it's a steal.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Hazy-yellow gold with stark white bubbly head. It nearly explodes out of the bottle.
Fruity, floral and yeasty aroma.
Very peppery (alcohol) and spicy, with apple and pear.
Highly carbonated, and very warming. It could be dangerous how this hides the ABV.

Not as complicated as other Unibroue brews, my least favorite from that brewery so far. Thats not saying much as it's still an outstanding beer.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz. bottle dated October 2004. La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/gold color with a large 3 finger head. It smells bread like, citrusy and of nuts. Not a bad smell at all. However, the taste i where the beer went down hill. It tasted very much like Duvel, but a cheap, less appealing Duvel. It tasted like nuts, and I kept getting the taste of a cork.. strange. It's kind of bitter, but not too bad. You can definitely taste the citrus as well, but I can't get the cork out of my mind. Not very pleasing, not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is fine and smooth. Drinkable? Eh yeah, for a while. It took me a while to finish the whole glass, but it went down. My bottle was obviously pretty old, so I'd like to try a fresh one and see how my opinion differs.

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

Paid $7.49 for an Australian Longneck from BevMo in Willow Glen, CA. Poured into a pint glass with a couple pours.

This is a nice beer to open. Has a decorative yet functional metal fastener holding the cork down. The cork pops when opening, almost like a bottle of champagne. That should have been my first sign of the amount of carbonation in this one. After a soft pour, half of the pint was a white head made of huge bubbles. Has the color of a cloudy yellow wheat beer. The head doesn't shrink down too quickly at all. Thick creamy trails of lacing.

The nose is yeast first and foremost, but there is also hints of alcohol and sweeter malts with some spice. The carbonation can even be slightly detected in the nose.

Taste is nice, refreshing and complex. Yeast and bread at first; similarities to both a hefe or wheat beer but unique in its own manner. The yeast is then balanced with the sweeter malts and floral perfume hops which combine for a nice mild fruity flavor. Alcohol taste is present as well.

Creamy, light to medium body. Not as carbonated of a mouthfeel as I originally anticipated to this point.

Tripels usually are not my beverage of choice, so drinkability is affected, but it the best Tripel I've had to date. Highly recommended for this style.

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours an unassuming hazy copper with a course foam that dissipates quickly to a light remnant leaving rings on the glass. Lots of sediment.
Smells like bread, grass, wheat beer, and sweet malt.
Tastes different from your average bmc, no doubt.Very malty, spicy, balanced if not lightly hopped. Smells and has a slight vanilla taste.
Chewy, smooth, bitey from the high alcohol.
9.0 alc. makes for low drinkability.
Very good, very strong.

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

A: [4.00] The beer is straw yellow with a 1 finger white head. The bubbles on the head are tight but dissipate quickly. Even after the head is gone there is great coating and lacing on the glass. The bottle lists the ABV (9.0%) and the best by date (not sure if it is April 12 or Dec 4th 2016)

S: [3.00] Wheat and yeast. Some alcohol.

T: [4.00] Out of the fridge - very typical Belgian wheat flavor. There is a wheat and yeast flavor and not much else. There is a slight taste of alcohol - it is not completely hidden. As the beer warms the sweetness of the malt comes out. The wheat and yeast flavors subside there are hints of bubble gum and banana. It becomes much more enjoyable. It is a totally different beer when it is warm. Really desirable.

M: [3.75] Nice carbonation level - feels rich on the tongue.

O: [3.75] Out of the gate this was a typical yeasty mess. But as it warmed the body and flavor came out. It was really enjoyable. I'd like to age a few of these and see how they change. This is a really good brew. The alcohol isn't totally hidden - but that is okay. The taste migrates away from the wheat/yeast bomb and has complex tones of banana and bubble gum.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue