La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,830 | Hads: 9,310
4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz brown bottle with a foiled top, a best before date on the back label.

Appearance: Foamy off white head that takes a long while to subside to a sticky lace. Cloudy yet radiant yellowish golden colour shows that this is a pale brew.

Smell: Ripe sugary nectarines, a powdery yeast and a light phenolic clove and medicinal mix in the aroma. Alcoholic esters with a touch of solvent linger in the back of the nose.

Taste: Peppery clove spiciness with a warming alcohol right behind it. Estery with a hint of solvent-like character in the high level of alcohol. Malt lays down some sweetness with a thick drying pale graininess, fruity flavours of mango and pear flash on the taste buds. Bitterness from the hops melds with the thick powdery yeast and bring the mouth to a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes: One of my favourite Belgian style pale strong ales, a bit over the top for some people and one that I respect by sipping through the night. (1,035 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Tasted 1/16/04 at our little Extravaganza Belgique.

Ok, so our final tasting wasn't truly Belgian, but it's so good and I had one ready to drink, so we figured, why not?

Alluring orange-yellow with a pure white head and a brown drop of yeast shaken from bottle's bottom. Soft, bready aroma, almost like an orange scone. Flavor is full of the yeast, with bright citrus fruit and a beautifully crisp finish. Amazingly smooth in the mouth, with no evidence that this brew hides a potent 9% ABV. Crisp and easy drinking. Orange, lemon, spices, yeast, wheat--wonderful.

This became my new all-time favorite the first time I tasted it, and drinking it again makes me pretty happy all over again.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid. (741 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours like a wit with a healthy white head and a cloudy golden body. The aroma hints at yeast and lemon zest. This is the most refreshing beer out there. Rorshack flavor test; orange, lemon zest, yellow cake, white pepper. I somewhat don't believe this beer is 9%. It just seems to disappear from the glass. This is my favorite widely available beer. (350 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Although I have been a lover of fine brew for some time this is the first beer that has compelled me to share my feelings about it to the world. I in fact opened an account to share my feelings about this brew.

Smell and taste warm banana bread, flowers, citrus and cloves. The alcohol at 9% is imperceptible - i could and have drank this all night

High carbonation - nice lasting head - with patchy lacing.

As a canadian I feel a little more patriotic knowing this masterpiece was brewed here. (497 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Seven months after trying this for the first time, I'm still loving it. I see no reason to change my rating very much. It is simply supurb, complex, warming and refreshing all at the same time.

Ok, so I'm gonna change my rating. I'm finding everything almost perfect this time with the exception that I'd like to see it clearer and not so cloudy. (349 characters)

S - Clove, hints of citrus, yeast, sugar

T - Classic Belgian blonde flavor. Yeasty and well-spiced. Somehow, they manage to make the high ABV unnoticeable.

M - Wonderful carbonation releases all of the spices and lets them slowly dissipate on the palette.

I swear the good people at Unibroue have kidnapped Trappist monks and brought them to their brewery in Quebec. They're making beers that are easily just as good, if not better in some cases, than the classic Belgian breweries. (487 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from 330ml into beer snifter (tulip)

Poured with nice head settling to a fine lace. Hazy golden hue with some sediment in the bottom of the glass (some lees and what looks like adjunct) showing the lack of filtration (a good thing). Stunning aromas of nectarine, pear, white flowers, white pepper, and sour yeast (yum!). Exceptionally rich flavor, massive body and concentration. The finish is luxurious but mellow at the same time. Very drinkable, but watch the 9% alcohol, it will creep up on you! This is definitely in my top 10 beers!

Also note: I have had this beer on tap at several bars and I have to say stick to bottle. This beer has a tendency to build up deposit in the lines and also sells slower than most taps so I have never had a completely 'sound' pour on draft. (788 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a foil wrapped 33cl bottle into my tulip glass, figured this would make a good 50th review.

The End of the World pours a lovely hazy apricot color, highlights of golden wheat when held to the light. I don't think I washed my glass properly because despite my efforts, the head was unimpressive and dissipated quickly. Can't blame that on the beer.

Smell is divine. Sweet like candy, mixed with a dash of cloves and other spices, light colored fruits, yeast, of course heavy dose of malt, with a bite of hops followed by the alcohol. Don't think I've ever written a 'smell' description that long. Wow.

Taste is unworldly good as well. All of the aforementioned in the smell, but the fruits come through more obviously...pear and apple seam to stick out. And even though I emptied the entire bottle into the glass, the yeast settles rapidly to the bottom and doesn't ruin the other flavors, actually blending rather nicely.

Mouthfeel is right on par for what you'd expect in a great tripel. perfect light-medium carbonation, easy.

If the end of the world was actually coming, I would not be very happy if this was the last beer I ever had. Well done, Unibroue, you lived up to the hype. (1,201 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

I have to agree with the Brothers on this triple. It's world class.

I had it first on tap and then out of a caged & corked bottle. Both experiences were too close to note any, if tiny difference.

Beautifully cloudy, golden-orange in color, with a dense and creamy head that lasts well.

Spicy, banana/bubble gum right off the nose and into the mouth...a slight and not unpleasant medicinal note...definite pepper and licorice as well as some pome fruit and soft citrus. This one drinks well at any temp and I like to take my time and sip, sip, sip. (552 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Sizeable two finger foam that turns to nothing quickly, hazy pale color that looks like other similar beers

S- I mean this smells like a woman should, it is beautiful like fresh baked bread, banana, clove, all sorts of spices but especially pepper. You just want to shove this up your nose and smell it all day.

T- This beer is so delicious, talking about flavors almost seems ridiculous. This is an adult beverage in more ways than one. It is one of the few beers that tastes identical to its smell. Definitely an acquired taste (I would make another immature comment, but that would be in poor taste) as I didn't like it when I first went to Canada.

M- Lighter than you would expect, it is not syrupy, however this is no lightweight, gives you a full mouthfeel while you are drinking it, and has a novelty effect if you leave it on your tongue for a few seconds (feels like pop rocks on your tongue)

D- You will feel the 9%, but you won't taste it, or feel it in your stomach. If you want a legal high this is the way to go, drinking a pitcher of this at a hookah bar was stronger than anything else I have ingested in the last year.

From what I have had so far this is my favorite belgium style brew, I have had only a few tripels, however from what I have tasted I can not imagine a more flavorful 9% beer that hides the alcohol flavors so well. (1,357 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer poured a golden straw color and formed a bubbly white head that left circular lace. A small amount of carbonation was present. It had an aroma of citrus, spice(?clove) and some yeast elements. The flavor was of spice and citrus with a warming feeling of the alcohol present. The finish was a touch astrigent (317 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy blonde with a golden hue. Poured on tulip glass. Nice 2-inch white creamy head fades down to form a thick lacing, which remains throughout the entire session.
SRM: 5-6

Smell: Banana, melon, pineapple, pepper and clove. Juicy fruit bubblegum all the way through. Super spicy yeasty esters presentation.

Taste: Lemon zest, a bit of cream and mildness from the thick powdery yeast. Straw like chewiness and weak cotton candy-like strawberry; sweet, lingering flavour with slight wheat tartness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high carbonation. Exceptionally warm and dry finish, considering suggested sweetness from fruity aroma and flavour. Well-balanced alcohol.

Overall: At 14 ºC, this is the greatest tripel from Quebec that goes beyond the style and expectations. Could be considered too delicious to become a classic, but it certainly exudes hard to achieve complexities. (895 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer pours a golden straw color with a bit of haze to it and a big head that lasts a little while, though i don't know if that was from the beer itself, or the fact that i was the last pour from the 750ML bottle. The smell is is wonderful with belgian yeast notes up front with the floral spiciness following and finishing with malty breadiness. the taste is very similar to the smell with a great belgian yeasty spiceness up front and a bread like sweetness to finish it off. the mouthfeel is amazing as the beer seems pretty dry at first then in the finish rounds out with a little sweetness, and nice carbonation. overall this beer is an A+ (648 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

I feel like I simply can't heap enough praise on this beer to do it justice, so I won't try. Just go out and try one for yourself.

It's citrusy and slightly sweet with hints of clove and bubblegum. A little bit of yeast in there with a nice crisp finish. The high alcohol content really enhances this beer, taking the flavors up through the nose. Take your time drinking it, as it becomes almost an entirely different beer as it warms.

As a warning, this beer will cause "beer-inflation" among its fans. Those once content to imbibe in a $6 six-packs of Sam Adams, will find themselves shelling out $8.50 for four-packs on Unibroue products on a regular basis. It's that good. (682 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Golden and frothy with a quickly dissipating half inch head. Poured into stemmed tulip glass, nice lacing down the glass as it was drunk. Some bottle sediment leaked into second pour, a bit cloudy but still a beautiful beer.

Smell: An ephemeral experience, with clove, apricot, and banana notes. A spicy, almost pepper note was detected, but I can't really place it.

Taste: No obvious alcohol in the beginning, with a strong apricot and citrus note that gives way to a bit of spice as the beer warms up. Alcohol is restrained throughout the tasting, keeping the citrus and apricot front and center.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but somehow bold at the same time. Almost creamy. Dangerously drinkable, I may go through three to four pours of this one before even noticing it.

Overall: My first tripel, and a wonderful departure from my days of college PBR. A beer I can easily see taking me from being a wine guy to a beer guy. I love it, looking forward to learning more.

For my inexperienced beer palate, it is the best I've ever tasted, but judging from the other reviews about this beer, I'm certainly not alone in thinking so. (1,137 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Unibroue review preface: I spent 2 weeks up in Montreal and drank Unibroue beers the whole time. No wonder they call it UniBrew. All their beers taste the same. They are all very subtle variations on a theme..that theme happens to be excellence. That said:

As with other Unibroue's, this also has an interesting bottle. Is it just me or do you see a severed hand in the drawing? Focus, young padewan...

This beer is highly carbonated (forming streamers), mildly cloudy straw-golden with a splash of peach in color, forming a rocky white head atop medium sized bubbles. Delicate lacing. Aroma is spicy and phenolic, with lots of cloves and bananas, yeasty bread, and a crisp, light acidity. Intoxicating Unibroue nose. Alcohol is not noticeable in aroma despite it's ABV of 9.0%. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, exploding upon the tongue like champagne with a medium-dense, but deceptively light body. Taste is initially typical bavarian wheat phenols with lots of spice, fading into subtle notes of green apples that are starting to rot, a smooth backbone of malted wheat sugars, and finishing with a bready yeastiness and a subtle, yet pleasant alcohol warmth in the gullet. The alcohol is well hidden, but because of the lighter body, it becomes more noticeable as it warms...more so than Maudite (8.0% ABV). At room temperature, I begin to notice a slightly rubbery mouthfeel. The complex sugars tug at your taste buds and envelope them in a swirl of abandon. Easily a sipper, easily a chugger....you decide. Complexities abound with further analysis, but this is a beer that warms your heart and soul. An entire experience in a bottle.

An absolute treasure amongst beers, and an excellent triple in it's own right. World-class and highly recommended. This is just an exceptional brew and one of my personal benchmarks for the style. Ambrosia distilled. (1,863 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

750 ML bottle with an expiration date of 4-6-14.

I had to use pliers to get the cork to budge and it left the bottle with a really loud pop but no overflow. It looks slightly hazy in the brown bottle and I can see some sediment.

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color into a snifter with a one inch head that quickly dissipated to a foamy cap. Many lines of tiny bubbles.

S- What a magnificent nose. Sweetness, probably the alcohol but under that the malt and a hint of hops. Fresh fruit and floral notes. Deep, rich and persistent.

T- The taste is amazing. Mango, pineapple, mildly sweet up front giving way to a cider like tang at the finish. Some yeast notes in the finish.

M- Full bodied, carbonation is noticeable like a good sparkling wine. Carbonation yields to a velvety texture.

O- This is a very complex, well made triple with a huge flavor profile. I really want to give this a 5 but I didn't get the big creamy head that is supposed to be typical for this style. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect a creamy head since this is bottle conditioned with carbonation that reminds me of fine Champaign. I am going to make this a regular part of my lineup and look forward to pairing it with food. (1,213 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

A-hazy orange with a white foamy head that slowly disappears

S-spicy, orange sweetness

T-moderate carbonation and spiciness, sweet, warming alcohol is apparent in the spiciness of the beer, dry finish, really complex flavors that all come together

M-medium body, sweet and smooth, and refreshing

One of the best beers I have ever had, highly recommended (357 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Cloudy orange color with a foamy think head. Awesome head retention And lacing. Sticks to the glass the whole time. Put it up to a light and you can see carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. From start to finish this Tripel looks great!!

Very crisp aroma. Hints of orange peel, coriander, cloves, bread, and some sweetness from the alcohol.

A fruity tartness hits the tongue at first. Tart like a fresh orange. After that hings of cloves, bread, yeast, and an almost sugar like sweetness. But, this ale has a great balance because the yeast and the grains just pull through.

Light body made refreshing and crisp from the carbonation. At 9% abv they do a very good job at hiding this because is a very very! drinkable Tripel. Probably one of the best damn Tripel ales I have tasted.

Hands down you must try this Ale and now it is easy to find (at least in my state). Can I have some more? (896 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

La Fin Du Monde is a party in my mouth. Keep looking for a better beer---haven't found one yet.

Smooth from start to finish. Spices that blend well--cinnamon, citrus..Nice head and lacing. The taste left on your tongue after a sip is where you can pick out the individual spices. (280 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

750ml brown bottle, a best before date on the back label(10-01-11).
2-25-09 update - Had a 12oz and it has a much spicier scent and flavor, clearer golden-yellow, but just as good!

A: Foamy off white head. Cloudy, golden-yellow straw color.

S: Heavy sugar citrus scent. Slight clove and spice scents.

T&M: clove spiciness with some sweetness. Medium-heavy bodied with fruity flavors. Slightly dry finish.

Notes: Definitely my favorite of the "Unibroue" ales. (465 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

One of my top 3 brews. If you love tripels this is one of the finest examples. Treat yourself.

Pours a golden honey brew with a full beige creamy crown. Cloudy body, with nice carbonation. Very easy on the nose with some floral, banana, cloves and sweet malts notes, with a slight touch of alcohol. Very similar on the palate than on the nose, although the alcohol tends to come out as the brew warms up. Great drinkability and surprisingly refreshing for a 9%abv tripel. (472 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

By far one of my all time favorite beers and a first choice when recommending a new beer to a friend. To me the smell and taste has that familiar fruit, almost banana, like resonance of many tripels and some hefes but isn't over bearing as with some. Initially sweet with a hoppy finish, tons of flavor throughout and a lasting dryness as it parts. I am not so grandiose to claim notes of different tastes but the flavor is not a simple one, yet doesn't confuse my mouth as it typically grins after the first taste.

I love the head of this beer- thick and creamy and sticks to the glass... Never before had I appreciated such a thing before trying this beer.

I gave appearance a 5 because the presentation is is great and in a glass it looks a lot like a tripel, can not ask for anything more, nor can I find anything to fault.

The only fault I find is this beer tends to be slightly too carbonated, not over the top but just more than it needs to be.

A must try, in my book, if you are even slightly interested in venturing out in the beer world. Fairly easy to find and not overly expensive but be careful as you will not notice the 9% alc/vol as you are tasting this "End of the World" experience. (1,204 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz brown bottle, no freshness date, served in an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark yellow/light amber. Very cloudy. Cannot see my hand through it. Even with a gentle pour a three or four finger head develops in the glass. The retention is quite nice, as it doesn’t recede at all with some agitation. Pretty color, lack of clarity for all the right reasons, great head. It leaves lots of nice lacing on the glass. Nice.

The smell...all I can say is wow. It’s like smelling a mellowed flower bed/spice garden in a glass. Totally intriguing with notes of lavender, cloves, roses, orange citrus, and more. Absolutely stunning.

The taste is just as stunning. Starts a little spicy on the tongue, like an alcohol-infused citrus. As it moves to the back of your mouth more of the clove richness comes through. After swallowing it, a floral effervescence floats up into the back of your mouth and back of your nose, highlighting the great rose and lavender notes. It’s amazing. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk, with just a touch of carbonation sizzle.

A nearly perfect beer. So complex, so intriguing, but also so drinkable. It's smooth as silk (even at 9% ABV you'd have to struggle to detect it) and fun to sip. I'll definitely be stocking up on this one. (1,263 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Kappy's was selling a Unibroue mixed eight-pack. This was the beer that really turned me on to Belgian Strong Pale Ales, and Belgian style beers in general. I let this warm to around 40º F and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brilliant golden with a thick fluffy creamy head, that slowly fades to a very persistent thin half-inch layer that leaves patchy lace.

Smell: Yeasty with a sweet fruitiness. Notes of citrus, bananas, light graininess, pepper and alcohol.

Taste: Sweet malts and fruits, including bananas and citrus. The finish is a nice interplay of peppery and spicy alcohol, and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability: Delicious and drinkable, despite the 9.0% abv. I sessioned this in undergrad.

Overall: One of my favorite, if not favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ales. (899 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue