2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,121 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
mweso2000

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance-Pours with huge lacy white head. Unfortunately I do not have a tulip glass so I had to pour into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden yellow color. Head quickly dissipates and does not cling to glass.

Smells of yeast, fruit, cloves and spices.

Taste-Very sweet taste in the beginning with fruit, cloves and bready flavor. Slight citrus taste. Finishes with a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Beer improved with time. Do not serve overly chilled. Flavors really come out as beer warms up.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and refreshing. Nice dry feeling in the mouth. Not overly carbonated, nice and smooth.

Drinkability-Extremely drinkable! 9% abv is well hidden so watch out!

12-04-2010 23:50:11 | More by mweso2000
aabgirl

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

La Fin Du Monde is a party in my mouth. Keep looking for a better beer---haven't found one yet.

Smooth from start to finish. Spices that blend well--cinnamon, citrus..Nice head and lacing. The taste left on your tongue after a sip is where you can pick out the individual spices.

01-11-2011 00:02:13 | More by aabgirl
beerlove82

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

02-05-2011 04:39:28 | More by beerlove82
Imza

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my favorite beer in the world. Pouring it angled properly yields little head, sometimes I get a thick foamy white head. There are tons of sweet and fragrant aromas that I'm not so good at identifying, but it is quite pleasant. I know cloves are in there. The taste is similar, with many different flavors. VERY smooth, flavorful, yet robust with a well-hidden 9% kick that you feel in your head rather than your tongue. The label of the bottle is amazing, and the title is French for "The End of the World." For me, personally, this is the end-all-be-all of great beer. I also love the sound of the cork popping. These are now available at my local grocer (the nice one, anyway) for around $7 a bottle. Awesome deal.

12-03-2012 17:43:15 | More by Imza
wekieboom

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

By far one of my all time favorite beers and a first choice when recommending a new beer to a friend. To me the smell and taste has that familiar fruit, almost banana, like resonance of many tripels and some hefes but isn't over bearing as with some. Initially sweet with a hoppy finish, tons of flavor throughout and a lasting dryness as it parts. I am not so grandiose to claim notes of different tastes but the flavor is not a simple one, yet doesn't confuse my mouth as it typically grins after the first taste.

I love the head of this beer- thick and creamy and sticks to the glass... Never before had I appreciated such a thing before trying this beer.

I gave appearance a 5 because the presentation is is great and in a glass it looks a lot like a tripel, can not ask for anything more, nor can I find anything to fault.

The only fault I find is this beer tends to be slightly too carbonated, not over the top but just more than it needs to be.

A must try, in my book, if you are even slightly interested in venturing out in the beer world. Fairly easy to find and not overly expensive but be careful as you will not notice the 9% alc/vol as you are tasting this "End of the World" experience.

12-19-2012 23:12:52 | More by wekieboom
XxNitExX

Nebraska

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into matching Tulip glass from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a 1 finger lively head that sticks around but doesn't have much lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Grapes, apricot, alcohol, bread all at the same time.

T- Very smooth malt backbone, with lots of spices from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol tinge, not to strong though

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, in my favorite style. They do a great job with this one getting all sorts of flavors but leaving out the alcohol bite that are in some tripels.

02-12-2013 00:52:56 | More by XxNitExX
cokes

Wisconsin

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Simply outstanding. I wish I could bathe in this stuff. Cloudy straw in color. Some people may knock it for being so hazy and unrefined. I personally like beer that is cloudy..it adds to the mystery. The yeast really add complexities layed upon more complexities. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to describe the taste. Others have mentioned tart apples...yeah maybe, but so much more. Each sip is a new experience. A beer that no doubt would age well. Unibroue is an expectional brewery, and this is (in my opinion) their best offering.

02-19-2002 00:44:59 | More by cokes
the42ndtourist

Ontario (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

750mL bottle (w/ cork). The first pouring yielded little head, but the smell which hit me almost immediately as I started pouring was a beautiful citrus and peach odour. The colour was a beautiful cloudy pale gold. The taste is magnificent, completely disguising the high alcohol content. The second pouring gave about 2cm of head, and tasted just as good as the first. An extremely good and drinkable beer!! Glad I am that I chose this to drink on my birthday.

08-01-2002 09:07:57 | More by the42ndtourist
mzwolinski

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

This is a very fine beer, and yet another reason why Unibroue should be regarded as one of North America's premeir breweries.

Light golden in color, hazy with a *lot* of carbonation. The head dissipated fairly quicky, but perhaps this was due to my glass rather than the beer.

Aroma is fruity, hints of banana and tropical fruit. Yeast is very unobtrusive.

The beer is terrifically balanced, with European hops, gentle corriander, and a peppery cloveish spiciness sitting atop a sweet light malty body. Medium bodied, though feels lighter due to high carbonation. Slightly dry finish. You'll feel the alcohol before you taste it.

Exceptionally well-done tripel.

10-25-2002 22:29:55 | More by mzwolinski
hyuga

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Pale golden in color with a huge white head. Head stays fairly well. Excellent aroma that I'm taking great pleasure in. Black pepper spiciness, tart fruitiness, breadiness, and plain old yeast. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it certainly is a pleasure to sniff. And to drink...! Wow, I'm impressed. Sweetness and black pepper, odd combination? No way, it's great! Up front it's a little hoppy, then in the middle it gets to the sweet and peppery bit. Bready and a little yeasty as well, all the way through. Tangy citrus and fruitiness shows up at the back a bit more. Hop bitterness is really brought out in the finish, making it very crisp. Medium body. You'd never guess at the abv. Not a hint of it is detectable! A wonderful representation of the style, one of the best even. A wonderful beer in itself. It makes you think, what if the world was about to end? What would be your last beer? I'd say this wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

01-25-2003 01:31:37 | More by hyuga
beerfox

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

This beautiful belgian pours hazy yellow, like a misty sunrise at the beach. The head is rocky and thick, dissipating to a thin layer with belgian swirls. Lacing is impressive.

The aroma is clean and floral, spiced with cloves and a fruity bouquet, with hoppy character. I love this style of beer.

Accents of clove, banana and apricot, with a clean and crisp hoppiness, abound. The malts are well-balanced with the hop bitterness. This beer could make me lose my way back to reality. This is exceptional brew! Warms as it flows down the throat, leaving a glow from the combination of hops and alcohol.

I could drink this for eternity! Truly a beer worth seeking out!

01-11-2005 23:22:54 | More by beerfox
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Man, gotta love this beer! This has always been a classic (for me) to fall back on and enjoy whenever i wanted a beer i know that could lift my spirits. Its a shame i am just reviewing it now.

Poured out a hazy yellow, lots of carbonation creating the 2 white bubbly finger head. I loved to watch these bubbles go, the beer had a constant head the whole time drinking it.

Smells of clove and such sweet goodness. Spiced orange/apricot come through and this one smells like a witbier with coriander.

Taste: Freakin fantastic! Sweet spicyness comes right through. Love the spice. alcohol is prsent, but not very considering the 9%. Very creamy.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Lots of carbonation that bites at your toungue. However there is still a big sense of creaminess to the feel.

Unbelievably drinkable. This is one belgium strong that i can have as a session beer. Love it!

12-02-2005 05:54:19 | More by acrawf6
medic25

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

I was amazed when I notice the other day that I've never actually written a review of my favorite beer. Not much to say that hasn't been said, but I'll give it a shot. The beer is a beautiful golden hazy yellow, with a big foaming white head that soon dissipates. The nose is classic, fruity and yeasty. The taste is an amazing blend of citrus, malt, and slight sweetness, with the littlest hint of hops. Incredibly drinkable for a 9.0% ABV. This is my go-to beer when I'm just looking for something great to entertain friends or kick back and relax.

12-21-2005 03:01:18 | More by medic25
rsyberg01

serving type - 330 ml bottle. from a tulip

appearance - a light copper pour, good head that fades moderately but sticks. lacing is nice and coats the glass with a certain grasp. a bit hazy which is nice if you ask me. very inviting.

smell - very similar to delerium tremens. tropical scents purge my nostrils along with distinctive spice and a slight hop scent. alcohol is faint but a bit evident. smells just extraordinary, nothing like it.

taste - like a nice ol' kick in the mouth, it simply floods to the nooks and crannies of your mouth and shows them what exactly delicous taste is like. just pleasant all around. strong notes of fruitiness along with a slight bitter twinge from the hop character. finishes crispy and clean yet resides enough to prepare you for the next sip. taste is also very similar to delerium tremens, curious if they use the same or a similar yeast strain.

mouthfeel - not heavy at all but not light. very good balance on the palette and really quite nice. just makes you want another drink.

drinkability - very easy drinking, though it does have some depth so you have to draw the line somewhere, surely only out of fullness and not out of boredom with flavor. just a premium beer, delicious at every point of the beer from top to bottom.

tip - serve in a tulip, perfect for the nose and helps with the head just a bit. great to share with friends and family. just a great beer.

06-26-2006 09:17:12 | More by rsyberg01
Bobzilla

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Again, for a non-Belgian beer, Unibroue seems to have the style down.
A nice golden yellow color, with white lacy head. The lace lingered on in patches down the glass throughout drinking. "On lees", but if poured slowly, it is crystal clear.
The smell was comprable to Cantillon Iris, with less grapefruit and more subtle hints of the Belgian yeast strains. Has the Unibroue nose that is found in almost all their beers. Compared to the Cantillon, it actually is a bit more pleasant to smell, as it is not overpowering on the first whiff.
Hints of coriander and orange cut through the crispness of the beer. A light tartness, but the malt/sugar content cuts smooths it out, creating a nice blend.
The motuhfeel can be a bit crisp or light, but not so much as to be distracting.
At 9%ABV, its still a very drinkable beer. It is not heavy, and I don't really ever feel like I'm filling up when having it.
A wonderful Tripel that holds up to any other of the style that I've had.

02-16-2008 14:39:32 | More by Bobzilla
prsguitarsr4me

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

This stuff is for kings. Great beer. Pours blonde with a nice white head that could have better retention and lacing (like Duvel does). Smells and tastes fantastic - sweet and refreshing - very smooth and delicate. As the head died away, I wished every sip was like the first couple, though. I might open up my big Duvel after this for a back to back...

11-12-2008 02:37:51 | More by prsguitarsr4me
northaustin

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

this one is one of my personal favorites. im actually drinking it tonight. the taste is unique and you can really taste the apples. its usually too expensive for me to want to buy but every now and then it can be found at a nice price. the 750ml is usually too expensive as well but worth it for a nice occasion. theres not too much carbonation in it either. real nice.

03-17-2009 03:09:28 | More by northaustin
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a cloudy yellowish amber color with good carbonation and a white head. Nose is fruit, hops and belgian yeast. Taste is fruit, belgian yeast, spice and warming. I thought it was pretty good and smooth on mouthfeel and drinkability. It was warming, spicy and fruits on the mouthfeel.

11-05-2009 03:12:26 | More by barleywinefiend
donniecuffs

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a nice golden carbonated yellow into a snifter, with two fingers of bright white head, that laced very well. The smell was off the charts; cloves, allspice, coriander, banana, tart apple, pear, lime, bubble gum...and I know that I'm missing a few. Couldn't wait to start sipping, and when I did, what overwhelmed me was not all of the aforementioned flavors (and then some), but the BALANCE between all of those flavors. Furthermore, the alcohol content was not as evident as expected in the finish. The feel was nicely carbonated and medium, and when I was done with the bomber...which didn't take very long...I wish I had purchased several.

11-13-2009 22:20:17 | More by donniecuffs
Elimination

Oregon

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

appearence: 2 finger head very white, a champagne like bubble, brownish yellow, more golden really

smell: man, i love tripels as a smell, and this smells wonderful

taste: all i can see is, taste alone defines that a tripel should be

moutfeel, a sudsy bubbleness, flows so nice

drink: i wish i could get more of these easily cause this is all i would drink

12-12-2009 04:42:54 | More by Elimination
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy wheat color into my Allagash tulip. About two fingers of thick, white head rose and dissipated to a foamy lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of summer. Deliciously yeasty, reminding me of a hefeweizen. Orange, lemon, apple, and herbs, maybe cloves. Oh, baby!

Taste: That may be the closest I come to heaven...besides when I drink hefe, that is. Follows the enticing aromas. It's yeasty goodness is complimented with flavors of orange, lemon, apple, and cloves (maybe). There's a bit of a hop bite, but the malts dominate, and it just gets better and better as it warms. (I'm really not sure why BA recommends such a cold serving temperature.)

Drinkability: Awesome. Sip the goodness.

02-27-2010 07:53:22 | More by TheQuietMan22
Gorgoroth

"best by" date: 09-24-12

glassware: La Fin du Monde branded tulip

A - gentle pour yields hazy, deep gold body with huge, dense, white head, which dissipates fairly quickly into a thin, white halo and an opaque film with large islands of lace; really no carbonation to be seen

S - nose is strong with Belgian yeast and malt; intense floral scent shrouds citrus, sweet spices, and banana

T - up front with yeast and malt; citrus flavors such as grapefruit and orange peel understate; the finish is very dry with a notable hop bitterness and lingering, mellow notes of whole-grain toast

M - medium body with a crisp palate; effervescent and tingly, despite lack of noticeable carbonation; finishes dry with a glowing alcohol warmth

D- extremely drinkable; complex and strong, yet very inviting

I've had this beer numerous times now and I always feel like I could drink several bottles in a row, though the 9% abv might make that difficult. There's really almost nothing in this beer that could be improved upon, and at less than three dollars a bottle, it's an absolute steal. A true gem of the beer world.

05-14-2010 02:25:26 | More by Gorgoroth
jmarvin4189

Vermont

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - An orange golden w/ minimal white head

Smell - it was a citrus smell with some coriender seed mixed into it.

Taste - A strong corriender seed and citrus combination. very very good, it was a very unique taste that i haven't tasted before.

Mouthfeel - very crisp with alot of carbonation, very smooth and delightful to drink on a beautiful summer day.

Drinkability - very drinkable, i have to remember this is a 9% beer since it doesn't have a hint of alcohol in its flavor. I could drink this all day and is by far my favorite triple yet.

06-24-2010 03:33:52 | More by jmarvin4189
yagosantgria

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: If apple juice were carbonated and mixed with a splash of water.

Smell: Warm, relaxing, makes you feel that instead of wafting the bottle or glass underneath your nose a few passes, you would stop it and push your face in and inhale deeply.

Taste: It's fair to say this beer gives quickies to all your tastebuds as it gently slithers down. The aftertaste is present for a great deal of time, allowing to savor each part of the taste (fruity, spices, hops) individually.

Mouthfeel: Sharp, not tangy-like but cold refreshing sharp. This isn't to say it is the same as drinking ice water while chewing mint gum but it is crisp, and makes its presence known immediately after flowing past the lips.

Drinkability: As said above and below, this beer is dangerous. If I didn't tell someone the content of this brew and just let them enjoy the taste, they'd drink themselves into a "I did something regrettable" position FAST. The alcohol simply is not tasted or noted.

01-21-2011 20:19:14 | More by yagosantgria
Bouleboubier

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Probably the biggest shock to my senses from any beer, having this for the first time about 10 years ago. I don't know what was most unique or strange beer I had had up to that point - maybe Delirium Tremens or Skull Splitter. But this made me make a face. By now I've adjusted, shifted to accept and enjoy flavors and sensations a bit further out towards the fringes from this. "La Fin" still excites and just about overwhelms me to this day.

Textbook explosion of Belgian carbonation - egg-shell white spongy foam, slow to fade, but fade it does. Dawn-light yellow-amber juice, heavenly haze. Scent of delicate flowery-perfume and fresh herb green leafiness (cilantro?). Honey-kissed lemon butter cookie, ambiguous enlivening citrus, and chased with residual bottom-dwelling yeasty gunk. Silky and spicy, potent and bold (like the smell) on the tongue. Honey (up front), clove (in and around), and banana tincture (late). Dessert malty along side. Can't underplay the super jolt of young orange/lemon 1/3-sour tang and shaved-sharp herbal rush holding on. The spiciness seems to mask or actually contribute to a restrained, snail-snow rising warmth. Hmmm...it's so smooth and cold-clean, drops off sudden dry - nothing.

Still my favorite beer - love the label, love the post-liminal. (On-tap - a dream unfulfilled)

06-18-2011 05:37:31 | More by Bouleboubier