La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,477
2.25/5  rDev -47.8%

Hello from a newbie.

This beer was poured from a large bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Color is a cloudy caramel gold. The mocha head was less than a finger and dissipated rapidly. No lace on the glass.

I don't know but I think I smell Musk, maybe beacause of the Canadian influence but I do smell Musk.

Taste is otherworldly. I never tasted a beer like this. It has a perfume taste to it. I don't think I like it. The aftertaste smacks of citrus and seems to linger.

Mouthfeel is not pleasant.

Overall I would not buy this beer again. It might be good on a hot humid day to quench a bout of drymouth. But for a Friday night beer I don't think so.

2.26/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained

2.28/5  rDev -47.1%

La fin du monde is a based upon a wonderful recipe.

But since feb 2012 bottle dates the bottle (750 ml) priming regime has resulted in a very large number of flat beers. I cannot recommend this beer to anyone, although i appreciate the fresh hop of winter batches.

Unibroue tried to reduce the gas in its product, but couldn't manage the variation which is producing a very large number of flat or very nearly flat beers. La fin du monde shoulld have some gas, enough to push the cork from the bottle. Their quality control has become pathetic, i am very sorry to say.

2.38/5  rDev -44.8%

Well my apologies to everyone who loves this beer. Pours yellow haze and copper. Smells like alcohol spilled on a copper pipe. Taste wise, very alcoholic, reminiscient of when your old lady fills up the bathroom with perfume and hairspray and you get it in your mouth.

Perfume, apples, clove, maybe even vanilla. And you can't get rid of it for a little while. Sometimes, I've noticed aging the beer a year or three will make it a little less harsh in exchange for additional sweetness. I'd recommend that.

2.38/5  rDev -44.8%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

2.41/5  rDev -44.1%

maybe it's because ive never had a tripel before, but this was a serious let down for the money. people go on and on about bananas and cloves and this and that... all i got was the impression that a heavy ale had sex with an underdone mead and this was the result. there was a slight fruitiness that was quickly overtaken by a hot alcoholy quality. it was more like drinking medicine than beer. i wont be trying this one again.

2.49/5  rDev -42.2%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy orange/yellow color with about two-three finger lengths of head.

S- Has a sweet fruity scent kinda hoppy as well.

T- Very bitter. Kind of sour. Not well balanced. Very strong fruit flavoring. The alcohol is not well hidden at all.

M- Too bitter and sour. Not smooth at all.

D- Can't drink more than one. Had trouble getting the one I had down.

Overall I'm disappointed in this beer. Had heard great things about it, but I just don't like it. Not really a fan of this style.

2.5/5  rDev -42%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven.

2.56/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer poured majestically with a great looking head that retained almost the whole way down the glass. It smelled like something similar to a Hoegaarden white and tasted very much like one at first. The taste soon gave way to alcohol as the beer started kicking my ass. This brew can really put some hair on your chest (ladies beware). After finishing two thirds of the glass, the alcohol taste dissipated, but it still had the aftertaste of a white beer. Maybe my view is askew because I haven't had too many beers of this style, but I just don't like it.

2.68/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a straw color, nothing deep or special. A nice head, but no lacing. An odd scent, a mix of bitter and sweet, not really mixed, but neither one overpowering the other. Has a bubbly feel to it, but goes down smooth enough for a high ABV beer. Not much of a taste, rather bland, but with a bitter, high alcohol aftertaste.

2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me.

2.8/5  rDev -35%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Looks nice. Golden in color with a huge frothy white head. Slight amount of lacing, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Smells strongly of yeast and a slight hint of citrus.

Taste: The yeast is overpowering, just like any other unfiltered "ale on lees" beer I've had thus far. Just when I think I can taste citrus, the yeast takes over. I can't help but get the same overwhelming taste out of all of these. There is a warming alcohol taste at the very end, but no too overpowering... probably the best thing about this beer.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated.

I'm really not sure how people can drink these types of yeasty beers regularly.

2.83/5  rDev -34.3%

Cloudy yellow pour with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Moderately strong fruit aroma. Heavy lacing, well carbonated. A banana, clove, fig kind of nose. Definitely dominated by the banana flavor. Best by date was 02/12 but something seemed a little off with this beer. It did not taste skunked, but the flavor combination reminds me of a beer that's been sitting in the sun for a while. Not my favorite Unibroue.

That strong malt profile combined with an overpowering banana ester flavor left me looking for something a little dryer. Like maybe a glass of water...

2.85/5  rDev -33.9%

I love this brewery, and am not sure if I have ever had this, so I bought a single today. Pours a nice hazed golden color, with lots of air bubbles, and small bits of sediment. Heading is about one fingers worth. Big whiffs of tropical fruit begin, with mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of must and nectar in there as well.Taste is very fruity, with the fruits mentioned above included, but then there is a spicy character that comes in, followed by a solvent alcohol taste that can best be compared to vodka. Body is medium, slick on the mouth and pretty hot I have to say. I am glad I opted for the single instead of an entire bottle, as this one was really hard for me to finish. I know this one gets a lot of praise, bit what can I say? I am not a huge fan of Tripels, and am definitely not a fan of Tripels that remind me of my least favorite spirit, vodka. Worth a try for Belgian fans. Cheers

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

A - A nice yellow/orange body. Nice big white head

S - A bit spicy and sweet.

T - This is where it loses me. Very spicy, peppery. The spices just don't do it for me. Reminds be of a bad fall/pumpkin beer. A bit of alcohol in the finish

M - Thinner side of medium. Too much carbonation.

O - Not for me.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%

i'm just gonna opine on this one since there's no basic description info I could add that has not already been said. I don't get the hype here, it isn't bad but it relies way too heavy on its yeast and has a very weak malt back bone, this causes the beer to both smell and taste fishy, it is not a bad beer, but I would in no way call it a good one, I've had quite a few tripels and I won't be buying this again, gonna age a few to see if it helps, but as I said before, this beer wears it's yeast on it's sleeve and allows it to do all of the heavy lifting, making the beer feel unbalanced, this beer tastes like three things, yeast, clove and banana, that's it.

Parting shot: if you've had tripels before and are considering this one. Don't waste your time. If you've never had a tripel before, don't let this be your first. For a perfect introduction to the style try westmalle tripel or st. bernardus tripel, just don't try this

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%

appearance - opaque dull gold color with pure white head that disapates. Good taste throughout.
aroma - orange and creamy, corriander.
taste - orange and mild malt taste. mild sweetness restrained by mild bitterness. a mild beer.
mouthfeel - nothing special
Drinkability - nothing coming back for.

2.97/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

2.98/5  rDev -30.9%

First review! Poured into a Duvel glass. Beautiful light amber color with a white undying head. Aroma seemed very floral to me, and the alcohol was quite appearant. Something else too...Something sweet?

Taste confirmed the alcohol (whoah) and the source of the sweetness - the first thought that came into my head was bubblegum.

Mouthfeel was nice - a bit more carbination than I like, but nice. Not very drinkable for me. Could only manage small sips. Like most big beers, the taste improves as the temp warms, but not so much that I would want another anytime soon. I just could not shake the bubblegum.

This beer did have very impressive characteristics, but the taste just did not suit me. Glad I tried it though.

2.99/5  rDev -30.6%

I have had this before, but I felt I should revisit it. I wasn't exactly left speechless over it. I wasn't awful; certainly not! I simply didn't think it was 'outstanding'. I looked quite nice as it poured from its 750mL bottle into my goblet. A bit of chill haze, slightly cloudy. Continuous streams of bubbles ascend to the surface. Head is medium sized, loosely knit bubbles in a snow white froth that dissipates after about 60 seconds. Smell is dank, damp basement, almost like a lambic, alcohol, some fruits I cannot readily identify. It isn't awful, but I was certainly not impressed. Taste was spice, fruit, alcohol, and in that order. Again, not terrible, but not impressive, either. Mouthfeel was on the back end of medium in weight, if that makes any sense. Drinkability is a bit tough to call on this one. I seem to think so, anyway. The 9.0%abv is fairly noticeable, and there really isn't an amazing flavour profile. At the same time, it's pretty smooth and as a fan of Belgian farmhouse ales, I like the wet basement characteristics.
This was okay I suppose...

Light orange cloudy beer with a head that overflows and takes a while to calm down.Aroma is vanilla and spices.Taste is orange and spices.This reminds me too much of a witbier which I am not a fan of.I would not recommend and I could have done without this.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue