1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,093 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
zorak1066

2.35/5  rDev -45.6%

maybe it's because ive never had a tripel before, but this was a serious let down for the money. people go on and on about bananas and cloves and this and that... all i got was the impression that a heavy ale had sex with an underdone mead and this was the result. there was a slight fruitiness that was quickly overtaken by a hot alcoholy quality. it was more like drinking medicine than beer. i wont be trying this one again.

02-21-2013 05:46:29 | More by zorak1066
45nDown

Arizona

2.35/5  rDev -45.6%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

06-23-2013 05:42:12 | More by 45nDown
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Well my apologies to everyone who loves this beer. Pours yellow haze and copper. Smells like alcohol spilled on a copper pipe. Taste wise, very alcoholic, reminiscient of when your old lady fills up the bathroom with perfume and hairspray and you get it in your mouth.

Perfume, apples, clove, maybe even vanilla. And you can't get rid of it for a little while. Sometimes, I've noticed aging the beer a year or three will make it a little less harsh in exchange for additional sweetness. I'd recommend that.

12-25-2009 01:14:17 | More by Beerandraiderfan
david23

2.42/5  rDev -44%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven.

04-07-2004 06:40:46 | More by david23
Bagman007

2.48/5  rDev -42.6%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy orange/yellow color with about two-three finger lengths of head.

S- Has a sweet fruity scent kinda hoppy as well.

T- Very bitter. Kind of sour. Not well balanced. Very strong fruit flavoring. The alcohol is not well hidden at all.

M- Too bitter and sour. Not smooth at all.

D- Can't drink more than one. Had trouble getting the one I had down.

Overall I'm disappointed in this beer. Had heard great things about it, but I just don't like it. Not really a fan of this style.

01-03-2009 03:41:47 | More by Bagman007
BeefyMee

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev -41.4%

This beer poured majestically with a great looking head that retained almost the whole way down the glass. It smelled like something similar to a Hoegaarden white and tasted very much like one at first. The taste soon gave way to alcohol as the beer started kicking my ass. This brew can really put some hair on your chest (ladies beware). After finishing two thirds of the glass, the alcohol taste dissipated, but it still had the aftertaste of a white beer. Maybe my view is askew because I haven't had too many beers of this style, but I just don't like it.

10-23-2003 03:25:31 | More by BeefyMee
JamesS

Indiana

2.68/5  rDev -38%

Pours a straw color, nothing deep or special. A nice head, but no lacing. An odd scent, a mix of bitter and sweet, not really mixed, but neither one overpowering the other. Has a bubbly feel to it, but goes down smooth enough for a high ABV beer. Not much of a taste, rather bland, but with a bitter, high alcohol aftertaste.

11-05-2007 01:41:27 | More by JamesS
sillygirl8

2.68/5  rDev -38%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better.

03-22-2014 22:23:24 | More by sillygirl8
mrasskicktastic

2.78/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

08-27-2005 02:40:42 | More by mrasskicktastic
jamie2dope

2.78/5  rDev -35.6%

I love this brewery, and am not sure if I have ever had this, so I bought a single today. Pours a nice hazed golden color, with lots of air bubbles, and small bits of sediment. Heading is about one fingers worth. Big whiffs of tropical fruit begin, with mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of must and nectar in there as well.Taste is very fruity, with the fruits mentioned above included, but then there is a spicy character that comes in, followed by a solvent alcohol taste that can best be compared to vodka. Body is medium, slick on the mouth and pretty hot I have to say. I am glad I opted for the single instead of an entire bottle, as this one was really hard for me to finish. I know this one gets a lot of praise, bit what can I say? I am not a huge fan of Tripels, and am definitely not a fan of Tripels that remind me of my least favorite spirit, vodka. Worth a try for Belgian fans. Cheers

01-30-2009 01:36:28 | More by jamie2dope
Cru

Montana

2.8/5  rDev -35.2%

Cloudy yellow pour with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Moderately strong fruit aroma. Heavy lacing, well carbonated. A banana, clove, fig kind of nose. Definitely dominated by the banana flavor. Best by date was 02/12 but something seemed a little off with this beer. It did not taste skunked, but the flavor combination reminds me of a beer that's been sitting in the sun for a while. Not my favorite Unibroue.

That strong malt profile combined with an overpowering banana ester flavor left me looking for something a little dryer. Like maybe a glass of water...

12-19-2011 22:19:35 | More by Cru
guitarob

2.81/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

06-22-2013 22:37:21 | More by guitarob
TheViolator666

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance: Looks nice. Golden in color with a huge frothy white head. Slight amount of lacing, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Smells strongly of yeast and a slight hint of citrus.

Taste: The yeast is overpowering, just like any other unfiltered "ale on lees" beer I've had thus far. Just when I think I can taste citrus, the yeast takes over. I can't help but get the same overwhelming taste out of all of these. There is a warming alcohol taste at the very end, but no too overpowering... probably the best thing about this beer.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated.

I'm really not sure how people can drink these types of yeasty beers regularly.

07-08-2009 01:16:19 | More by TheViolator666
s1ckboy

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

A - A nice yellow/orange body. Nice big white head

S - A bit spicy and sweet.

T - This is where it loses me. Very spicy, peppery. The spices just don't do it for me. Reminds be of a bad fall/pumpkin beer. A bit of alcohol in the finish

M - Thinner side of medium. Too much carbonation.

O - Not for me.

10-05-2011 15:40:59 | More by s1ckboy
fcaf

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

09-24-2010 04:55:15 | More by fcaf
Naerhu

Japan

2.9/5  rDev -32.9%

appearance - opaque dull gold color with pure white head that disapates. Good taste throughout.
aroma - orange and creamy, corriander.
taste - orange and mild malt taste. mild sweetness restrained by mild bitterness. a mild beer.
mouthfeel - nothing special
Drinkability - nothing coming back for.

04-30-2003 06:57:53 | More by Naerhu
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

First review! Poured into a Duvel glass. Beautiful light amber color with a white undying head. Aroma seemed very floral to me, and the alcohol was quite appearant. Something else too...Something sweet?

Taste confirmed the alcohol (whoah) and the source of the sweetness - the first thought that came into my head was bubblegum.

Mouthfeel was nice - a bit more carbination than I like, but nice. Not very drinkable for me. Could only manage small sips. Like most big beers, the taste improves as the temp warms, but not so much that I would want another anytime soon. I just could not shake the bubblegum.

This beer did have very impressive characteristics, but the taste just did not suit me. Glad I tried it though.

07-21-2006 17:45:05 | More by Onibubba
n1ckels

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

03-22-2008 17:51:29 | More by n1ckels
SilentSabre

North Dakota

I have had this before, but I felt I should revisit it. I wasn't exactly left speechless over it. I wasn't awful; certainly not! I simply didn't think it was 'outstanding'. I looked quite nice as it poured from its 750mL bottle into my goblet. A bit of chill haze, slightly cloudy. Continuous streams of bubbles ascend to the surface. Head is medium sized, loosely knit bubbles in a snow white froth that dissipates after about 60 seconds. Smell is dank, damp basement, almost like a lambic, alcohol, some fruits I cannot readily identify. It isn't awful, but I was certainly not impressed. Taste was spice, fruit, alcohol, and in that order. Again, not terrible, but not impressive, either. Mouthfeel was on the back end of medium in weight, if that makes any sense. Drinkability is a bit tough to call on this one. I seem to think so, anyway. The 9.0%abv is fairly noticeable, and there really isn't an amazing flavour profile. At the same time, it's pretty smooth and as a fan of Belgian farmhouse ales, I like the wet basement characteristics.
This was okay I suppose...

05-19-2006 00:39:25 | More by SilentSabre
matty

Light orange cloudy beer with a head that overflows and takes a while to calm down.Aroma is vanilla and spices.Taste is orange and spices.This reminds me too much of a witbier which I am not a fan of.I would not recommend and I could have done without this.

03-14-2009 04:06:58 | More by matty
BigMurph

3.01/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. One of the best parts of the beer for me.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Very, very sour.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too

Overall: I don't know if It was a bad bottle. By the other reviews I'm guessing that may be the case but I'll wait a WHILE before trying it again.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

03-28-2014 21:57:18 | More by BigMurph
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet,very hazy cloudy piss yellow that never did clear up,beautiful 2+finger head that stays put well and nice lacing.Really smell the spices in this one and yeast and faint fruityness to it.You can taste pears and bananas with a sweetness with a kinda sparkling fizzle to it.Goes down quite well with a heavinesss to it and you can feel the carbonation,no doubt about it.I tell you though...the alcohol in this one hits you quite rapidly,i get a decent beer buzz rather quickly due to the high alcohol content.Not a bad beer if you like this style but for me...not really my type,and i got 2 more 750 ml bottles to polish off still....oh well,it won't go to waste,i'll find some strong cheese and Bratwurst sausages to offset the taste and polish them off,watching a good NFL game....no probs.

09-08-2007 01:37:53 | More by GrimmReaper
latercol

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me.

03-20-2008 02:43:34 | More by latercol
froghop

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a large white head that goes away quickly, and some lacing.

smell is of bread yeast, citrus, some fruit, lawn clippings, spice and white pepper.

taste is dry, fizzy, yeast, some fruits, spice, and a touch of citrus, ends dry and a little bitter.

05-21-2009 22:48:31 | More by froghop
ktrillionaire

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Years ago, over a decade to be sure, I decided that I hated this beer and that it gave me an instant headache. I have become far wiser in the interceding years. This is still not my favorite, however.

A – Cloudy orange-yellow, quite carbonated.

S – The most distinctive smell: yeast, grain, banana and ripe fruit ester and a buttery richness meld to form a nose that is so identifiable. I think I could recognize it, easily, in a blind test.

T – It has many variables that I appreciate, but they do not combine in a manner that I am stoked on. Basically, it is too sweet, and drinks too hot, for me. I don't like any part of it all that much, and I am not quite sure why.

M – Sparkling, which would be good normally, but in this case it delivers an overwhelming amount of alcohol to the nose.

D – Nah. I'll pass. Give one to the Alstroms.

02-02-2010 06:39:31 | More by ktrillionaire