La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,478
2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me.

2.8/5  rDev -35%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Looks nice. Golden in color with a huge frothy white head. Slight amount of lacing, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Smells strongly of yeast and a slight hint of citrus.

Taste: The yeast is overpowering, just like any other unfiltered "ale on lees" beer I've had thus far. Just when I think I can taste citrus, the yeast takes over. I can't help but get the same overwhelming taste out of all of these. There is a warming alcohol taste at the very end, but no too overpowering... probably the best thing about this beer.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated.

I'm really not sure how people can drink these types of yeasty beers regularly.

2.83/5  rDev -34.3%

Cloudy yellow pour with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Moderately strong fruit aroma. Heavy lacing, well carbonated. A banana, clove, fig kind of nose. Definitely dominated by the banana flavor. Best by date was 02/12 but something seemed a little off with this beer. It did not taste skunked, but the flavor combination reminds me of a beer that's been sitting in the sun for a while. Not my favorite Unibroue.

That strong malt profile combined with an overpowering banana ester flavor left me looking for something a little dryer. Like maybe a glass of water...

2.85/5  rDev -33.9%

I love this brewery, and am not sure if I have ever had this, so I bought a single today. Pours a nice hazed golden color, with lots of air bubbles, and small bits of sediment. Heading is about one fingers worth. Big whiffs of tropical fruit begin, with mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of must and nectar in there as well.Taste is very fruity, with the fruits mentioned above included, but then there is a spicy character that comes in, followed by a solvent alcohol taste that can best be compared to vodka. Body is medium, slick on the mouth and pretty hot I have to say. I am glad I opted for the single instead of an entire bottle, as this one was really hard for me to finish. I know this one gets a lot of praise, bit what can I say? I am not a huge fan of Tripels, and am definitely not a fan of Tripels that remind me of my least favorite spirit, vodka. Worth a try for Belgian fans. Cheers

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

A - A nice yellow/orange body. Nice big white head

S - A bit spicy and sweet.

T - This is where it loses me. Very spicy, peppery. The spices just don't do it for me. Reminds be of a bad fall/pumpkin beer. A bit of alcohol in the finish

M - Thinner side of medium. Too much carbonation.

O - Not for me.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%

i'm just gonna opine on this one since there's no basic description info I could add that has not already been said. I don't get the hype here, it isn't bad but it relies way too heavy on its yeast and has a very weak malt back bone, this causes the beer to both smell and taste fishy, it is not a bad beer, but I would in no way call it a good one, I've had quite a few tripels and I won't be buying this again, gonna age a few to see if it helps, but as I said before, this beer wears it's yeast on it's sleeve and allows it to do all of the heavy lifting, making the beer feel unbalanced, this beer tastes like three things, yeast, clove and banana, that's it.

Parting shot: if you've had tripels before and are considering this one. Don't waste your time. If you've never had a tripel before, don't let this be your first. For a perfect introduction to the style try westmalle tripel or st. bernardus tripel, just don't try this

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%

appearance - opaque dull gold color with pure white head that disapates. Good taste throughout.
aroma - orange and creamy, corriander.
taste - orange and mild malt taste. mild sweetness restrained by mild bitterness. a mild beer.
mouthfeel - nothing special
Drinkability - nothing coming back for.

2.97/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

2.98/5  rDev -30.9%

First review! Poured into a Duvel glass. Beautiful light amber color with a white undying head. Aroma seemed very floral to me, and the alcohol was quite appearant. Something else too...Something sweet?

Taste confirmed the alcohol (whoah) and the source of the sweetness - the first thought that came into my head was bubblegum.

Mouthfeel was nice - a bit more carbination than I like, but nice. Not very drinkable for me. Could only manage small sips. Like most big beers, the taste improves as the temp warms, but not so much that I would want another anytime soon. I just could not shake the bubblegum.

This beer did have very impressive characteristics, but the taste just did not suit me. Glad I tried it though.

2.99/5  rDev -30.6%

I have had this before, but I felt I should revisit it. I wasn't exactly left speechless over it. I wasn't awful; certainly not! I simply didn't think it was 'outstanding'. I looked quite nice as it poured from its 750mL bottle into my goblet. A bit of chill haze, slightly cloudy. Continuous streams of bubbles ascend to the surface. Head is medium sized, loosely knit bubbles in a snow white froth that dissipates after about 60 seconds. Smell is dank, damp basement, almost like a lambic, alcohol, some fruits I cannot readily identify. It isn't awful, but I was certainly not impressed. Taste was spice, fruit, alcohol, and in that order. Again, not terrible, but not impressive, either. Mouthfeel was on the back end of medium in weight, if that makes any sense. Drinkability is a bit tough to call on this one. I seem to think so, anyway. The 9.0%abv is fairly noticeable, and there really isn't an amazing flavour profile. At the same time, it's pretty smooth and as a fan of Belgian farmhouse ales, I like the wet basement characteristics.
This was okay I suppose...

Light orange cloudy beer with a head that overflows and takes a while to calm down.Aroma is vanilla and spices.Taste is orange and spices.This reminds me too much of a witbier which I am not a fan of.I would not recommend and I could have done without this.

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a large white head that goes away quickly, and some lacing.

smell is of bread yeast, citrus, some fruit, lawn clippings, spice and white pepper.

taste is dry, fizzy, yeast, some fruits, spice, and a touch of citrus, ends dry and a little bitter.

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

Drank as part of a bottle share. Not what I was expecting in a Tripple. Overly fruity and off-putting metallic aftertaste. Not horrible but I am glad I got to fast prior to laying down 10 bucks for a bomber of this. Many better choices available imho

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet,very hazy cloudy piss yellow that never did clear up,beautiful 2+finger head that stays put well and nice lacing.Really smell the spices in this one and yeast and faint fruityness to it.You can taste pears and bananas with a sweetness with a kinda sparkling fizzle to it.Goes down quite well with a heavinesss to it and you can feel the carbonation,no doubt about it.I tell you though...the alcohol in this one hits you quite rapidly,i get a decent beer buzz rather quickly due to the high alcohol content.Not a bad beer if you like this style but for me...not really my type,and i got 2 more 750 ml bottles to polish off still....oh well,it won't go to waste,i'll find some strong cheese and Bratwurst sausages to offset the taste and polish them off,watching a good NFL game....no probs.

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

"La Fin Du Monde" goblet at Jimmy the Greek's in South Portland, ME:

A: hazy golden yellow/orange body, white head lasted throughout the entire beer for the most part and was about just a one finger thick, spotty lacing ran down the glass

S: fruity and very sweet, light sugar

T: pretty much the same as the smell - fruity and sweet

M: light to medium with a fair amount of harshness pounding the tongue, not that sessionable, alcohol slightly felt

O: pretty easy to drink, but I'm not sure if I would have this again . . . ???

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

I was extremely excited to try this beer based on the raving reviews I've read. However, I was pretty disappointed.

A: Right off the bat I found this to be a rather unappealing beer to look at. I poured it from the bottle into a pint glass. It was a pale gold color with a very murky tint. The head was massive - about four fingers. Which is ok for a triple I suppose.

S: The aroma didn't impress me much either. I had a hard time distinguishing the scents I was picking up. It was a sour smell. Like old fruit.

T: It definitely tasted better than it looked and smelled, but it wasn't great. I picked up some fruity notes followed by some spicy undertones. A little hop bite at the end, but balanced with the malt. Definitely couldn't tell it was 9% abv. Alcohol is hidden well. It got better as it warmed, but still didnt wow me.

M: Full-bodied, high carbonation. Almost champagne-like.

O: Not a great beer in my opinion. Drinkable, but not great. For me, it was just ok. Probably won't buy it again.

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me.

3.06/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was purchased as a single from World Market in Richmond/Short pump, VA - Poured into a Ommegang belgian glass

*Disclaimer - this is my first belgian style beer so there may be a time in the future that I revisit this review*

Pours good with not much head and looks kind of like a cloudy pilsener. Not a whole lot of lacing with mostly soapy looking foam. Smells like a strong wheat beer with notes of carapils, not sure if they use carapils with this or not because I know very little about belgian beers. Tasted like a boozy wheat to me but it was pleasant enough. Mouthfeel was smooth and stimulating. Not the kind of beer that I would drink a lot of or really want to buy again in the near future.

All things considered. My palate may change as it frequently does. When/If that happens I will revisit this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I am not a fan of this type of beer but do appreciate that many folks like them. I had it recently at a beer tasting. The appearance was cloudy and light yellow with a big head and a lot of carbonation. Taste was typical of a fruity vegetable beer. Mouthfeel was average. Smell was definitely fruity and citrus like. Overall this is a good beer for the style and is definitely drinkable if you are the pretentious type who follows the crowds who have nothing better to drink. However, it is better than an American adjunct brew.

3.07/5  rDev -28.8%

Was so excited to get this home and try it out...

Got out my tulip glass, popped the cork annndddd...

Pure dud...the beer was as flat as my 5th grade girlfriend. No champagne like bubbles or creamy head (that sounds dirty)...

I'll give it another try just because I'm still intrigued to see what all the fuss and high scores are about...

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue