La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Bubbly, pale gold appearance with a tall 2 inch rocky head crowning outside the goblet. There is a good deal of streaming carbonation in the underlying liquid. The head dies down in a fairly short time, leaving lots of lace around the glass.

Aroma is perfumey-sweet with notes of bananas, grapes, cane sugar, and hay. In short, what I expect from a Belgian, but without the funky sour notes.

Taste is sweet (pears, apples, caramel, cherry) with a dose of lime-lemon sourness. There is also a peppery zest in the aftertaste. The overall taste is a bit milder than I anticipated. There is a lot of creamy smoothness, and a mellow blended quality with none of the flavors stepping in front as dominant.

This is a very nice take on a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but is not quite in the same class as the great Duvel. I do hope the new owners of Unibroue leave this one alone.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

First impressions: Very, very good, a tart/sour belgian, lots of carbonation, and a heavy yeast flavor. As I get in a little deeper some more subtleties come out, some good and some detrimental. Pours a hazy gold, with a thick head that quickly dissipates to wet lacing. There is a lot of really great flavors to pick out in the nose: orange, lemon, banana, clove, coriander, some yeast and sour apples. Taste is similar, but with a huge bread and yeast presence, with a touch of honey. Lots of carbonation, but leaves your mouth a bit dry.

Admittedly, tripels are not my expertise, so as far as true to form I can't really comment. It was very enjoyable, and there were many fantastic nuances to pick out and examine. Another great brew from Unibroue.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Hazy orange color with a thick but small head that leaves a constant ring and some laces.
Slightly citrus sour aroma with notes of bananas and overripe pineapple, bready malt, mix of Belgian and Weizen yeast.
Pleasant and refreshing flavor with notes of green apples, orange peel, pear and condiments (highlighting coriander). Finishes as Champagne.
Medium to full body with perfect carbonation. Alcohol of 9% abv made a life time marriage with this beer.
A hoppy tripel with its own personality and that is hard to beat, even for true native Belgians.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tulip glass.

A: The bottle foamed slowly out of the bottle for a few miPours a bright but opaque orangish color, a solid finger of white, largish bubbled head. Good retention, with the ring sticking around for the entire glass.

S: Malt forward with dried apricot, apple, pear, coriander and spice, and kind of a bready rye.

T: Fresh orange malt, pear juice, rich maltiness, some honey and spice (white pepper), with a warming alcohol flavor on a long finish.

M: Kind of a fuzzy mouthfeel, medium-high and somewhat sharp carbonation, and medium body.

O: Not one of my favorite styles, but this is an excellent example of a tripel.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%

It's been many a fortnight since I've enjoyed this brew last; plucked it from the wine shop shelves as the first drink of 2014. Here's to a year of gaining weight, drinking more and being less productive. La Fin Du Monde pours a dull, effervescent copper orange with fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Opaque body, not a whole lot of lace. Sweet and spicy on the nose, with notes of coriander, oranges, bready yeast and assorted citrus. One previous reviewer likened the scent to "salt sea air and steel." Sure, why not? Spices and citrus carry through to the palate in a big way. It's a complex profile that's hard to tease apart, with sweetness and spice and everything malty. Something about the moutfeel has always felt a bit off to me. Heresy, I know. My expectations for the style don't mesh well with the heaviness and aggressively carbonation. It goes down tasty but I'd be lying if I said it goes down smooth.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Now this is more like it! Large bottle, corked and caged. Poured straw/golden and semi cloudy, white tiny bubble head and leaving lace.. Still not getting much of a nose, just a bit of wheat, bubble gum and yeast. Tastes/notes of wheat, yeast, bubblegummy phenolics, fruit, candy sugar, apricots, rum soaked grapes, yum yum. Finish is sweat and smooth. Crisp and nicely turned out Canadian Belgian.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A while ago, I received a recommendation to try a few beers before I die. One of them, La Fin du Monde, was readily available at my local grocery store. I decided, "Well, what the hell, life is short, let's just get this and see how it goes" when I went shopping for laundry detergent. A funny thing happened when a Haggen employee came over to the beer section to attempt to re-stock a beer. For some reason, she asked ME if I knew where a beer was so she could restock it. Did I know where it was? Of course I know where it was. (Might want to tell you guys that as of today I weigh 225.6 pounds, down from 261.4 at the beginning of the year. Not that you didn't believe me) Uhm, here's my review of the beer.

Initial assessment: "This will be the best beer you've had in your life."

Initial red flag: The diagram on the bottle has a picture. One is of a stout glass. The other a pilsner glass with a red "X" over it. Uhm, that's the only beer vessel I have to drink out of, bottle.

It's a corked top, which I have issues with. Last time I uncorked an alcoholic beverage (champagne) the cork blew out of the champagne bottle, hit the ceiling, probably hit my roommate and bounced wildly. That's the last time I tried a mimosa.

Vessel chosen for consumption: Pint glass

Aroma: N/A. I have a bad cold and don't want to hold my nose over the glass for too long or something bad will happen to my $9.50 beer.

Appearance: Deep gold color (like an unpolished, old gold medal) with a cloudy consistency.

Taste: Mmm, tasty tasty. Usually, when you have a beer, you know the aftertaste will be heavily alcoholic and sometimes ruin your beer. Here, there's light notes of that at the very end of the sip, but heavier notes of fruit (can't identify which ones) and a very smooth taste.

Rings around the glass: Whoever thinks this needs to happen in every beer they drink is an idiot and should be shot. Counting rings in your glass? Wow, you must be really fun to hang out with at bars. "Look, there's, like, fifty individual rings around my glass!" Rings should only be seen on fingers. Even then it's debatable.

A picture of "her" showed up as I was drinking this and I almost cried. WAIT, that's an emotion, not a category.

ASTMO -- random letters you shouldn't guess on Wheel of Fortune.

I'm pretty satisfied with my choice of beer tonight. Didn't try to mask it with any food because then you have popcorn beer and what fun is that, really? I don't know about the long-term options for this beer... I'm more of a steak and potatoes kind of dude when it comes to beer. I like it, just put it in front of me and let's see what happens. Don't care too much for fanciness of it when, in my current state, drunkenness will do just fine. But this really is a good beer, you should try it and try to get a hold of it.

But for me, Captain Cheap, I'll stick with my guns and receive quantity over quality.

GRADE: B, but secretly leaning A-

--Keith

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: light caramel color with lots of carbonation sustaining a decent sized head.

Smell: Apples, oranges and malt.

Taste: Fruit flavor, some citrus flavor, some malt character, finishing with a nice touch of alcohol. The 9% abv is incredibly well hidden. Beautiful flavor that isn't too light or too heavy.

Drinkability: At 9 percent this is a dangerous beer because it drinks like a session beer but has the flavor of the tripel style.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a gold hue standard for most belgian ales/beligan style wits. Fluffy white head that dissipates after a few minutes. Sweet aroma typical for a Unibroue ale, somewhat of a honeysuckle smell. Has a semi hefe weissen unflitered look to it, with high carbonation. Sweet taste initially, with the carbonation definitely noticeable Slightly bitter and tart, defined spice and floral notes. Light citrus, perhaps a tangerine hits after the initial carbonation. A solid sipping beer, I'd rate it an A. Not mind blowing, but good for a cheaper beligan ale.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

App- pours a lively golden or straw color, 1 finger width head, smooth head.

Smell- fruit, first bananas that are a tad over-ripe, then fresh apples. This is joined by a spicy tone, reminiscent of cloves.

Taste- Very complex. I get fruit in the taste, but different ones. I sense dried fruit like prune and raisin, as well as the banana and citrus peel. Yeast in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- crisp, light, the high amount of carbonation makes it dance on the tongue.

Drinkability- extremely drinkable for 9.0 abv. Doesn't do a harsh number on the taste buds and is smooth from beginning to end.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Mammoth frothy lush white head off of a standard pour into tulip glass... Muted honey color... Slightly hazy...

S - Yeast... Clove... Orange zest... Pear... Floral accents... Hint of pineapple... Faint peppery notes... Quite pleasant all the way around...

T - Initials taste closely resemble the nose... First the fruit flavors rise to the top... This is followed by the yeast and spices... A solid malt backbone can be detected as the beer warms... Slightly medicinal... Warmth of 9% ABV rises as part of the after taste... Peppery notes linger...

M - Smooth, crisp, and slightly creamy... Medium bodied... Slightly chewy... Carbonation is quite subdued... Slightly oily... Coats and fills mouth nicely... Much richer than I expect from a Tripel...

D - A delightful sipper... A stellar example of the style... If I had to point at one area for improvement it would be mouthfeel where a little more bite from the carbonation would add dimension to the near world class beer...

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Nice hazy golden orange.

S - Nice lemony smell.

T - Depending on my mood, it seems, I either love this beer or feel it's just pretty good. Usually, i love it. (As I do tonight.) Bold, well balanced, between flavors and abv.

M - Always easy to drink, going down nicely.

O - A high quality beer that never disappoints and that all craft beer lovers should try.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

La Fin Du Monde...the end of the world! Well, you could do worse then downing one of these if the end were coming. Once again, Unibroue produces another fine brew (I have got to make it up there one of these days).

Poured from a standard bottle into a pint glass. Nice golden color with an impressive head that hung around for a bit.

Nice yeasty smell that made me more then ready to get started.

Very smooth up front, with a bit of bite at the back end. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. A fine tripel.

Not too thin, not too think. Definitely lingers for a few minutes, which is a good thing.

A bit dangerous, if you ask me...such a good tasting brew, yet it is stronger then you would think. I could go through the entire four pack if I wasn't paying attention.

I would highly recommend this selection. Not quite a St Bernardus tripel, but a very nice runer up.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Deep golden color. Pours lively but head fades quickly. No lacing. A little residual effervescence continues to rise.

Rich aroma is primarily characterized by yeasty Belgian chem. Estery.

Taste is crisp, grainy and yeasty with notes black pepper, yellow bell peppers and dry (not sweet) peach or apricot. Pleasantly alcoholic.

Mouth Feel is warm and silky, very nice.

A nice mellow drinking experince - drinkability is good.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours honey-gold, white a white head. Aromas of honey, clove, citrus. The tastes are clove, peach, orange peel, honey, lemon, pepper. The mouthfeel is smooth, slightly syrupy. It finishes with clove, lemon, and orange peel, followed by alcohol warming.

This has been one of my favorites for a while, but the last time I cracked open a bottle, it was flat. An email to Unibroue got the answer that they were having cork problems, and that their distributors would replace defective bottles. When I mentioned this at my local beer store, they gave me a new bottle, gratis!

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

La Fin du Monde: “The End of the World.” It seems more than fitting, considering the absurdity of last Saturday. I’ve been in a Belgian sort of mood recently, and this has been one I’ve been wanting to cross off my list for a while now. If anything, just for the wire cork cage on top.

A: The body is a rich, cloudy gold. There’s a familiar Belgian foaminess that brings a bubbly white head to about an inch, sending fizz up from the bottom of the glass. Pretty good, for not having a lot of head.

S: Very acidic; phenols rising big in the nose. Grape, mandarin, peach are interspersed throughout. Booze and clean wheat at the back end.

T: Thankfully, not as acidic as the nose. It’s quite smooth – not jarring, like many phenol-heavy offerings in this style. Clovey and herbal, with more than a tinge of esters. The fruit isn’t strong, but peach/apricot and grape are the most evident. The palate is not incredibly complex, but nonetheless satisfying.

M: The sparkling body leaves nothing to the imagination. This particular Belgian seems too viscous to be that effervescent, but it’s not incredibly out of place.

O: For now, I can only say I like this one - although at times, I love it. At this range of wholesome beer goodness, it's tough to decipher my feelings. But, as it stands, this is not one I’ll be talking about for a while. That being said, it’s a great example of this style, with a clear emphasis on yeast and esters. This would be the perfect introduction to someone who’s new to this type of beer, or Belgians in general.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A pale yellow, cloudy ale with a HUGE head that stayed through much of the glass. Very nice.

The aroma was smoky, which I didn't expect, and nutty, which I did. A little bit of bread-like scent there, due to the yeast, but mostly masked.

The taste was much like it smelled, rich, smoky, nutty, somewhat yeasty, but with an odd taste that I can only describe as... bacon. It was still pretty good, but the oddness of that combination in a beer threw me a curve.

I will probably try this one again when I see it, to see if that bacon flavor was an anomaly... even if it wasn't. it was still worth havin again.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to Wasatch for this extra!

Pours a hazy golden orange-yellow with a big frothy off-white head. Smells of grains and tart fruits. Citrusy nose deepens with complex spice notes. Taste is herbal and fruity, with a light crispness flavored with spice and yeasty fruitiness. Very clean taste, lightly sweet, full flavored yet mild. Fruits decay to a nice yeasty aftertaste. Medium body and smooth on the palate. Soft full carbonation lends a creamy, slightly crisp feel. I'm a little scared of how drinkable this is. Watch out for the 9%abv. Overall a great tasting very drinkable version of the style. Not too strong in any sense of taste or smell.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Light straw color with a serious amount of carbonation. I had just cooled the beer. Nice smell not atypical of a tripel. Really enjoyed the taste. Obvious sweetness, but with a really solid earthy type dirt sort of flavor. Maybe the yeast got a little stirred up, but it really adds to the flavor. Good aftertaste and unusually drinkable for a tripel. Probably the best beer I've had from Unibroue.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this at hazelwood in Ballard, poured into a nice tulip glass.

A- a great clear gold with a decent head and lacing, it looked like a great beer and I was excited to try.

S- smelled wild, almost like a sour beer, which was really cool. not quite overpowering but you could smell the spices and malt very well.

T- tasted lighter than it smelled at first but as it warmed up the taste came out more and more, sweet, spicy and some warming alcohol. Great beer. yum.

M- light and refreshing.

D- It was good to enjoy one or two but more than that its sweetness and alcohol might get to you. Overall a great beer and a great Triple.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a tulip pint glass and was extremely foamy, probably due to the extra bottle fermentation . Very pale straw yellow, very light, a little cloudy, nice sweet apple smell, lots of fruity tones, yeasty incredibly long lasting head. Very much like a Duvel, alcohol was balanced nicely with the malt and hops. Pretty full bodied, lots going on in this brew. Pretty good stuff.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue