2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,105 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
allengarvin

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a fluted chalice glass. It is a hazy, turgid amber color with an initially towering head that falls quickly. Spicy, pear-like aroma and sweet yet crisp malt. Beautiful interplay of flavors: smooth, creamy, sweet malt, fruity vanilla, and very light spicy/herbal hop bitterness. There's a hint of alcoholic pepperiness but this is really a deceptively strong beer. Lots of carbonation but the body retains a floating, crisp lightness. This, along with an offsetting tartness, makes it an incredibly refreshing and delightful beer despite the high strength.

One of the great beers of the world, even better than the Duval that inspired it, in my opinion.

12-03-2005 18:30:13 | More by allengarvin
jj21

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Outstanding vision pours into the glass. Thick white head topping a hazy golden beer. Great retention and lacing. Aromas or citrus and bananas loft and linger even when the glass is away from your nose. Flavors of cloves, citrus, yeast and crisp sweetness. I could hardly sense the 9.0% alcohol in this beer. Outstanding!

03-16-2006 20:13:51 | More by jj21
number1bum

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz bottle pours a somewhat hazy golden honey color with a very rich and creamy inch and a half of nearly white head. Head retains a nice lace throughout and leaves quite a bit of stick.

Smell is very fruity with a nice sweetness, some clove, spice and yeast. Bit of booze in there too; this is precisely how I like a tripel to smell.

Taste too is exceptional. Sweet and fruity, super creamy, some spice and yeast, clove. I love tripels on the sweeter side and this is the prototype, I think. Mouthfeel is very creamy and a hefty medium body but the carbonation is a bit overdone; it could be softer in the mouth. Nevertheless, very smooth and creamy.

This is an awesome beer, one that I would drink all the time if I could.

01-29-2008 02:18:35 | More by number1bum
ccrida

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

355ml bottle poured into a goblet, La Fin Du Monde is a hazy strwa yellow with a large white head the is quickly settling and leaves no lace, the lightest smattering. I really like the color, but these beers are all about the head and 'brussels' lace.

Smell is pretty good, banana esters, cereal grains, a hint of caramel and metallic phenols as it warms.

Taste is fantastic - this is my favorite trippel. Big fruity esters, spicy backbone, very smooth, although it actually gets a tad boozy and grainy if you let it warm too much. Served at cellar temp though, perfect.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, with a crisp, dry snappy finish. Highly digestible, this has a light body and is easy on the belly.

Drinkability is supreme for me, as good as it gets for the style. Big taste, but smooth and dangerously easy drinking...factor in the fact that Unibroue brews are such a great low price, this one should get a 5.5!

06-05-2008 04:49:30 | More by ccrida
btuthill

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours light amber from a 12 oz bottle. Head is big, bubbly, active, but fades quickly. Smell is delicious - lightly effervescent, spicy, bready, warm, maybe citrusy, definitely enjoyable. The taste is great, like, to the point that it makes some pretty phenomenal beers look pedestrian. It is as smooth as the finest stouts. Taste is clean at first, turning to a bubbly, spicy bread as it crosses the tongue, and finishing smooth. It clings heavily to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue without ever even bordering on 'heavy'. The flavor stays with you long after the beer goes down, and it is appreciated by this lucky drinker.

This beer is absolutely world-class and I could either drink one every night or a series of them in one night. Thanks to the local beer store (Wine and Cheese in Clayton) for marking these down last week, or I would have waited even longer before trying it.

08-16-2008 01:19:02 | More by btuthill
tacubaya

Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

I have a fridge full of this beer... my favorite so far. Tastes so good... lots of hops, citrus, yiest, amazing! High alcohol content sure hits you after a couple of Fin Du Monde's and when you serve it properly it retains a beautiful 1 inch head the whole time.

Recommended...hell... if you see it buy a case or two.

If you like this beer also try Unibroue's Don de Dieu

08-26-2008 23:54:03 | More by tacubaya
ewright

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

It's the end of the world as we know it... I just had to review the beer in my (current) avatar for my 100th review. Tripel isn't one of my favorite styles, but I absolutely love LFDM. I'll try to be objective here.

A: A painfully slow pour from a foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip yields 3+ fingers of frothy head that crests the lip, but does not overflow. After a minute or two, the head has receded to a ring leaving fat chunks of sticky lace on the glass. A hazy golden glow eminates from the glass, begging me to drink.

S: Notes of peach and apricot are most obvious up front. Lurking in the background is possibly a bit of honey and a mild spiciness.

T: Fruity flavors are most obvious up front, with notes of golden raisins and a bit of banana from the Belgian yeast. There's also some mild toast flavors. The finish shows just a hint of hop bite with a nutty aftertaste.

M: Rich and full bodied. The only knock is that a bit more effervescence would be appreciated. Maybe I should have been even MORE careful on the pour!

D: Like I said up front, this is one of my favorites! I could sip this one all night, but it is definitely a sipper.

08-27-2008 00:24:34 | More by ewright
popery

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

La Fin Du Monde is one of my favorite beers. It is not necessarily the best beer in the entire world, but it's widely available, comes in large and small singles and is a tremendous tripel, no mean feat. Unibroue beers have superb feel and delicious flavors. It's certainly the best tripel that I've tried that is not from Belgium. The beer has a somewhat inconsistent look. The head bubbles up, but it settles into a calm champagne look without much lacing. The misty liquid is quite appealing, on the other hand. The nose is earthy and spicy. It has a genuine Belgian flavor that is subtle and often lacking from American versions of Belgian styles. The flavor has this same Belgian earthiness, that quality that marks some of the best beers in the world. The feel is of a billion tiny needles gently exploding. The drinkability is incredibly high. This beer really made me a big fan of Unibroue. I've tried a lot of their styles and this one still stands as a top beer for Unibroue and craft beer, generally.

11-26-2008 07:32:41 | More by popery
MoreThanWine

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle didn't pop when the cork was pulled yet this beer still poured an enormous head, though it pretty quickly settled down to just lace. A hazy yellow in color. Both the bouquet and taste are an explosion of intense flavors - tangy, tart, sweet, citrusy, and it has a long finish. It's like a Summer brew kicked up in every category, including the alcohol content. Top knotch.

10-06-2010 08:36:04 | More by MoreThanWine
TheYeagermeister

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A--Pours a rich golden apricot color. Has a thick smooth head of about 1 1/2 inches, which retains well and leaves some lacing. Very appetizing from the start.

S--Heaven. The same apricot from the appearance, along with strong biscuit, yeast, and dough. I also detect some banana and clove.

T--Essence of sweet and ripe light fruits--pear, apricot, papaya--but it's not markedly sweet or cloing, by far. The biscuity, buttery yeast provides the perfect backdrop and rounds it out into a beautiful dry finish.

M--Smooth, rich, and creamy, it coats the palate and allows the complex tastes to linger for miles.

D--The alcohol is remarkedly well hidden, though the warmth is there. This could kick your butt if you're not careful.

Overall, this is one of the best belgians I've ever had. It is frickin beautiful. Stellar example of this style.

07-11-2011 01:01:15 | More by TheYeagermeister
sgtaxt

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite.

09-14-2011 22:47:51 | More by sgtaxt
dankster

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Wow. this has to be one of the best triples i have ever had!

A- Cloudy with a great golden hue

S- alot of Fruit notes going on mostly bananas

T- Oh yeah Big time banana flavour going on. a little spice and cream on the back of the mouth

M- creamy and smooth. great coating in the mouth. love this beer. will pick up again for only 7.99 a 750

O- Best triple to date! need to try more offerings from this brewery

10-02-2011 21:38:27 | More by dankster
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

poured into a pint glass. This beer had an orangish color with medium head. Carmel and other spices mad this beer taste rare. Very strong tasting but it is worth it. Mouthful is about the same. Not your usual beer, but a walk on the canadian side this beer is one of canada's finist

05-05-2012 14:36:06 | More by yuenglingfan101
BobaFret

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - A hazy deep yellow with a white head that doesn't linger.

S - Smells slightly of bananas and spices. One of the best smelling tripels that I've had.

T - Spicy but not overpowering; the Unibroue yeast complements this beer nicely. Extremely balanced. I would not have guessed that this beer is 9% ABV.

M - You can definitely tell that this is a bottle-conditioned/refermented ale.

O - A fantastic tripel that's very easy to drink.

05-21-2013 01:46:40 | More by BobaFret
mophie

Delaware

4.88/5  rDev +13%

My second Unibroue, and I am hooked. I love the hazy, orange-yellow look of this beer. Someone mentioned mysterious, and I agree. The smell is intoxicating, fruity, peppery, an almost exotic spiciness. The taste is equally amazing, like a burst of flavors that go off in different directions that meld together to create a perfect balance of sweet fruitiness, bitter orange rind, and peppery spice. I want another.

03-19-2002 17:58:02 | More by mophie
AudioGilz

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Pop goes the cork, and rush goes the foamy head out of the bottle. Pour it and then gaze in astonishment at the hazy golden brew. Enjoy the enormous whipped texture head that seems to rejuvenate itself after every sip. Smell the wonderfully citric, yeasty and spicy aroma. And then sip it. YUMM! Perfect mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. This beer is full of spiciness, yeastiness, fruitiness, sweetness, sweetness, twanginess(if that's a word), and some alcohol of course. 9% at that. And it's barely noticeable. Most definitely my favorite Unibroue offering. Go drink this beauty.

06-03-2003 22:35:05 | More by AudioGilz
daledeee

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Pours cloudy yellow. smells fruity and yeasty.Nice one inch white head and holds it's lace well. Fruity tasting with bubbly champagne like carbonation. Tart fruit, possibly pears along with bread. I like beer that is bubbly. Not much malt or hops up front. Alchohol is also well hidden. I cannot pick out what the finish on the back of my tongue is. I must say in this category there is some very strong competition, but it is hard to find a better tripel. This is one fine beer and a dangerous beer. Way too drinkable!! The key is proper storage, since our system is run by the state storage must be proper since it makes different batches taste differently.

Note: As I drink this beer more, I like it more. I am raising it's rating.

09-08-2003 00:18:00 | More by daledeee
jreid53

Alabama

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Tried this for the first time recently and with every sip said to myself, "Damn this is good!". Pours a beautiful yellowish color with a nice head that lasts quite a while. Amazingly smooth for such a high alcohol content. Will definitely drink this often.

01-06-2004 16:54:35 | More by jreid53
stewart124

4.88/5  rDev +13%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles.

02-23-2004 06:27:28 | More by stewart124
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Incredibly good marketing folks at Unibroue. The packaging is very well done. I have purchased the foiled topped bottle. Serving suggestion and freshness dating on the back.

Smell: Fruity and sweet peach floral notes.

Taste: Oh yeah. Tingly carbonation. Very clean fruit flavors and a slight peppary flavor after the initial carbonation bite. Only a trace of hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very clean smooth and creamy. Leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: At first, I would be afraid of drinking several of something so high in alcohol. However, this is so nicely balanced, full-flavored, and tasty, I would definitely have a few. Amazing beer. I was always suspicious of Canadian beers, after being underwhelmed by Molson, but I will need to try Unibroue's other offerings now.

I just put a few imperial stouts in the basement for my first try at cellaring. I'll be adding one of these babies in the mix to see just how complex it can get. With the carbonation and alcohol, I'm hoping it will be even more tasty next year.

06-28-2004 14:50:42 | More by Dithyramb
sardonic

Manitoba (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

10-04-2004 03:03:04 | More by sardonic
Hibernator

4.88/5  rDev +13%

I had this from a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a tulip glass as suggested on the label. There is a best before date clearly labeled for 08/16/07. Nice looking bottle with a foil top.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a foamy white head on top. Scattered sticky lacings cling to the sides of the glass.

Aroma of cloves, yeast, fruity esters, and a tad of spices in the background.

This is one of amazing beer. I am impressed. Very smooth with pressured carbonation on the tongue. Orange citrus flavors, cloves and peppery spices blend together for an inviting experience for the palate. In all respects, this beer reminds me of a Belgian Tripel.

This is an excellent beer and only leaves me wondering why I haven't had this beer before. Highly recommended.

02-21-2005 23:13:18 | More by Hibernator
BamaScholar

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +13%

no cataclysm when I opened the brown bottle, but beer poured a straw / topaz yellow and is very aromatic...to me it is like combining a sparkly white wine like a riesling or pinot gris and giving it the citrus tones of witbier or even your basic blue moon.

the taste is very nice...you expect over the top strength but really any initial hoppiness is mellowed out with a nice, pepper spice and wild fruit.

mouthfeel remains light and the carbonation and cling are doing well here at the bottom of the glass.

superb. absolute nectar.

06-11-2005 01:58:04 | More by BamaScholar
Dmann

4.88/5  rDev +13%

It's taken me long enough to get around to this one and I'm glad I did! This one poured a nice light golden color with a slight haze and great carbonation bubbles. The head was very thick and frothy and managed to stay around till the last sip. The smell was very fruity and spicy due to the belgian yeast. The taste was outstanding with large pinapple notes and peppery spice mixed with a near perfect carbonation level that made for a great experience. If you are a fan of Belgian beers this one is defiantly worth a try!

12-06-2005 12:22:10 | More by Dmann
orfeu

New Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +13%

750 mL bottle, corked & caged, 2004 vintage. Pours a light golden amber into an oversized wineglass with a fluffy and billowy white head. Lovely citrus and yeasty-bready malt aroma; sweet orange and peach scents abound. Taste is a dry-sweet peach bread with golden raisins; spicy yeast and a strong dry finish. Mouthfeel is full, creamy, and juicy. The 9% alcohol is utterly imperceptible. Absolutely sublime.

12-15-2005 00:05:35 | More by orfeu