La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,171 | Reviews: 2,862
2.9/5  rDev -32.9%

appearance - opaque dull gold color with pure white head that disapates. Good taste throughout.
aroma - orange and creamy, corriander.
taste - orange and mild malt taste. mild sweetness restrained by mild bitterness. a mild beer.
mouthfeel - nothing special
Drinkability - nothing coming back for.

2.97/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

2.98/5  rDev -31%

First review! Poured into a Duvel glass. Beautiful light amber color with a white undying head. Aroma seemed very floral to me, and the alcohol was quite appearant. Something else too...Something sweet?

Taste confirmed the alcohol (whoah) and the source of the sweetness - the first thought that came into my head was bubblegum.

Mouthfeel was nice - a bit more carbination than I like, but nice. Not very drinkable for me. Could only manage small sips. Like most big beers, the taste improves as the temp warms, but not so much that I would want another anytime soon. I just could not shake the bubblegum.

This beer did have very impressive characteristics, but the taste just did not suit me. Glad I tried it though.

2.99/5  rDev -30.8%

I have had this before, but I felt I should revisit it. I wasn't exactly left speechless over it. I wasn't awful; certainly not! I simply didn't think it was 'outstanding'. I looked quite nice as it poured from its 750mL bottle into my goblet. A bit of chill haze, slightly cloudy. Continuous streams of bubbles ascend to the surface. Head is medium sized, loosely knit bubbles in a snow white froth that dissipates after about 60 seconds. Smell is dank, damp basement, almost like a lambic, alcohol, some fruits I cannot readily identify. It isn't awful, but I was certainly not impressed. Taste was spice, fruit, alcohol, and in that order. Again, not terrible, but not impressive, either. Mouthfeel was on the back end of medium in weight, if that makes any sense. Drinkability is a bit tough to call on this one. I seem to think so, anyway. The 9.0%abv is fairly noticeable, and there really isn't an amazing flavour profile. At the same time, it's pretty smooth and as a fan of Belgian farmhouse ales, I like the wet basement characteristics.
This was okay I suppose...

Too heavy on banana & clove.

Light orange cloudy beer with a head that overflows and takes a while to calm down.Aroma is vanilla and spices.Taste is orange and spices.This reminds me too much of a witbier which I am not a fan of.I would not recommend and I could have done without this.

3.02/5  rDev -30.1%

pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a large white head that goes away quickly, and some lacing.

smell is of bread yeast, citrus, some fruit, lawn clippings, spice and white pepper.

taste is dry, fizzy, yeast, some fruits, spice, and a touch of citrus, ends dry and a little bitter.

3.02/5  rDev -30.1%

Drank as part of a bottle share. Not what I was expecting in a Tripple. Overly fruity and off-putting metallic aftertaste. Not horrible but I am glad I got to fast prior to laying down 10 bucks for a bomber of this. Many better choices available imho

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet,very hazy cloudy piss yellow that never did clear up,beautiful 2+finger head that stays put well and nice lacing.Really smell the spices in this one and yeast and faint fruityness to it.You can taste pears and bananas with a sweetness with a kinda sparkling fizzle to it.Goes down quite well with a heavinesss to it and you can feel the carbonation,no doubt about it.I tell you though...the alcohol in this one hits you quite rapidly,i get a decent beer buzz rather quickly due to the high alcohol content.Not a bad beer if you like this style but for me...not really my type,and i got 2 more 750 ml bottles to polish off still....oh well,it won't go to waste,i'll find some strong cheese and Bratwurst sausages to offset the taste and polish them off,watching a good NFL game....no probs.

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

"La Fin Du Monde" goblet at Jimmy the Greek's in South Portland, ME:

A: hazy golden yellow/orange body, white head lasted throughout the entire beer for the most part and was about just a one finger thick, spotty lacing ran down the glass

S: fruity and very sweet, light sugar

T: pretty much the same as the smell - fruity and sweet

M: light to medium with a fair amount of harshness pounding the tongue, not that sessionable, alcohol slightly felt

O: pretty easy to drink, but I'm not sure if I would have this again . . . ???

3.04/5  rDev -29.6%

Taste is very weak--like water.

3.04/5  rDev -29.6%

I was extremely excited to try this beer based on the raving reviews I've read. However, I was pretty disappointed.

A: Right off the bat I found this to be a rather unappealing beer to look at. I poured it from the bottle into a pint glass. It was a pale gold color with a very murky tint. The head was massive - about four fingers. Which is ok for a triple I suppose.

S: The aroma didn't impress me much either. I had a hard time distinguishing the scents I was picking up. It was a sour smell. Like old fruit.

T: It definitely tasted better than it looked and smelled, but it wasn't great. I picked up some fruity notes followed by some spicy undertones. A little hop bite at the end, but balanced with the malt. Definitely couldn't tell it was 9% abv. Alcohol is hidden well. It got better as it warmed, but still didnt wow me.

M: Full-bodied, high carbonation. Almost champagne-like.

O: Not a great beer in my opinion. Drinkable, but not great. For me, it was just ok. Probably won't buy it again.

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me.

3.06/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was purchased as a single from World Market in Richmond/Short pump, VA - Poured into a Ommegang belgian glass

*Disclaimer - this is my first belgian style beer so there may be a time in the future that I revisit this review*

Pours good with not much head and looks kind of like a cloudy pilsener. Not a whole lot of lacing with mostly soapy looking foam. Smells like a strong wheat beer with notes of carapils, not sure if they use carapils with this or not because I know very little about belgian beers. Tasted like a boozy wheat to me but it was pleasant enough. Mouthfeel was smooth and stimulating. Not the kind of beer that I would drink a lot of or really want to buy again in the near future.

All things considered. My palate may change as it frequently does. When/If that happens I will revisit this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -29.2%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

3.06/5  rDev -29.2%

I am not a fan of this type of beer but do appreciate that many folks like them. I had it recently at a beer tasting. The appearance was cloudy and light yellow with a big head and a lot of carbonation. Taste was typical of a fruity vegetable beer. Mouthfeel was average. Smell was definitely fruity and citrus like. Overall this is a good beer for the style and is definitely drinkable if you are the pretentious type who follows the crowds who have nothing better to drink. However, it is better than an American adjunct brew.

3.07/5  rDev -28.9%

Was so excited to get this home and try it out...

Got out my tulip glass, popped the cork annndddd...

Pure dud...the beer was as flat as my 5th grade girlfriend. No champagne like bubbles or creamy head (that sounds dirty)...

I'll give it another try just because I'm still intrigued to see what all the fuss and high scores are about...

3.09/5  rDev -28.5%

nice looking brew. poured a typical hazy golden yellow with a nice white head.
smelled of slight citrus and spice and some sugars were there
taste was decent but It had an almost Malt Liquor quality about it, as if it was blended, strange. I experienced the same thing with the 11 offering as well. I did not have this with the darker beers such as Trois or Terrible. Again its a decent beer but not overly impressive for a so called Belgian Strong Pale.

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. One of the best parts of the beer for me.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Very, very sour.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too

Overall: I don't know if It was a bad bottle. By the other reviews I'm guessing that may be the case but I'll wait a WHILE before trying it again.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%

Years ago, over a decade to be sure, I decided that I hated this beer and that it gave me an instant headache. I have become far wiser in the interceding years. This is still not my favorite, however.

A – Cloudy orange-yellow, quite carbonated.

S – The most distinctive smell: yeast, grain, banana and ripe fruit ester and a buttery richness meld to form a nose that is so identifiable. I think I could recognize it, easily, in a blind test.

T – It has many variables that I appreciate, but they do not combine in a manner that I am stoked on. Basically, it is too sweet, and drinks too hot, for me. I don't like any part of it all that much, and I am not quite sure why.

M – Sparkling, which would be good normally, but in this case it delivers an overwhelming amount of alcohol to the nose.

D – Nah. I'll pass. Give one to the Alstroms.

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Sour

3.12/5  rDev -27.8%

12 ounce bottle served in a Duvel glass. Gusher. Pretty clear golden color with a fizzy white head. Aroma of alcohol, herbs and spice, sugar. The flavor is pretty alcoholic with a long burn. Sweet lemony flavor. Maybe too sweet. High carbonation. Not something I will seek out again.

3.14/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured to NB globe. After having so many times in the past, finally gonna put a pen to it.

A: hazy corn kernel appearance with limited head (this time, unusual). the surface remains scattered with fine white foam on the edges and rimming the edge. Little lacing.

S: Lots of banana, clove, cardamom, coriander. All spice and fruity esters. Light grain in the nose.

T: All the spice crosses through and offers more of the same. Banana more evident on the finish here. Finish also offers the peppercorns to show a bit. Some corn as well.

M: Light for the style, but lively carbonation. Leaves the mouth slick. Decent.

D: Drinkable, but not the best in show IMO. I find other triples more to my liking. their yeast is repulsive, and this is simply another stage for them to showcase the beast.

3.15/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've never quite understood the fascination with this one. Cloyingly fruity, watery, and metallic.

3.16/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's a Belgian golden. It has Belgiany banana and clove stuff going on.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue