La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,477
3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a large white head that goes away quickly, and some lacing.

smell is of bread yeast, citrus, some fruit, lawn clippings, spice and white pepper.

taste is dry, fizzy, yeast, some fruits, spice, and a touch of citrus, ends dry and a little bitter.

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

Drank as part of a bottle share. Not what I was expecting in a Tripple. Overly fruity and off-putting metallic aftertaste. Not horrible but I am glad I got to fast prior to laying down 10 bucks for a bomber of this. Many better choices available imho

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet,very hazy cloudy piss yellow that never did clear up,beautiful 2+finger head that stays put well and nice lacing.Really smell the spices in this one and yeast and faint fruityness to it.You can taste pears and bananas with a sweetness with a kinda sparkling fizzle to it.Goes down quite well with a heavinesss to it and you can feel the carbonation,no doubt about it.I tell you though...the alcohol in this one hits you quite rapidly,i get a decent beer buzz rather quickly due to the high alcohol content.Not a bad beer if you like this style but for me...not really my type,and i got 2 more 750 ml bottles to polish off still....oh well,it won't go to waste,i'll find some strong cheese and Bratwurst sausages to offset the taste and polish them off,watching a good NFL game....no probs.

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

"La Fin Du Monde" goblet at Jimmy the Greek's in South Portland, ME:

A: hazy golden yellow/orange body, white head lasted throughout the entire beer for the most part and was about just a one finger thick, spotty lacing ran down the glass

S: fruity and very sweet, light sugar

T: pretty much the same as the smell - fruity and sweet

M: light to medium with a fair amount of harshness pounding the tongue, not that sessionable, alcohol slightly felt

O: pretty easy to drink, but I'm not sure if I would have this again . . . ???

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

I was extremely excited to try this beer based on the raving reviews I've read. However, I was pretty disappointed.

A: Right off the bat I found this to be a rather unappealing beer to look at. I poured it from the bottle into a pint glass. It was a pale gold color with a very murky tint. The head was massive - about four fingers. Which is ok for a triple I suppose.

S: The aroma didn't impress me much either. I had a hard time distinguishing the scents I was picking up. It was a sour smell. Like old fruit.

T: It definitely tasted better than it looked and smelled, but it wasn't great. I picked up some fruity notes followed by some spicy undertones. A little hop bite at the end, but balanced with the malt. Definitely couldn't tell it was 9% abv. Alcohol is hidden well. It got better as it warmed, but still didnt wow me.

M: Full-bodied, high carbonation. Almost champagne-like.

O: Not a great beer in my opinion. Drinkable, but not great. For me, it was just ok. Probably won't buy it again.

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me.

3.06/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was purchased as a single from World Market in Richmond/Short pump, VA - Poured into a Ommegang belgian glass

*Disclaimer - this is my first belgian style beer so there may be a time in the future that I revisit this review*

Pours good with not much head and looks kind of like a cloudy pilsener. Not a whole lot of lacing with mostly soapy looking foam. Smells like a strong wheat beer with notes of carapils, not sure if they use carapils with this or not because I know very little about belgian beers. Tasted like a boozy wheat to me but it was pleasant enough. Mouthfeel was smooth and stimulating. Not the kind of beer that I would drink a lot of or really want to buy again in the near future.

All things considered. My palate may change as it frequently does. When/If that happens I will revisit this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I am not a fan of this type of beer but do appreciate that many folks like them. I had it recently at a beer tasting. The appearance was cloudy and light yellow with a big head and a lot of carbonation. Taste was typical of a fruity vegetable beer. Mouthfeel was average. Smell was definitely fruity and citrus like. Overall this is a good beer for the style and is definitely drinkable if you are the pretentious type who follows the crowds who have nothing better to drink. However, it is better than an American adjunct brew.

3.07/5  rDev -28.8%

Was so excited to get this home and try it out...

Got out my tulip glass, popped the cork annndddd...

Pure dud...the beer was as flat as my 5th grade girlfriend. No champagne like bubbles or creamy head (that sounds dirty)...

I'll give it another try just because I'm still intrigued to see what all the fuss and high scores are about...

3.09/5  rDev -28.3%

nice looking brew. poured a typical hazy golden yellow with a nice white head.
smelled of slight citrus and spice and some sugars were there
taste was decent but It had an almost Malt Liquor quality about it, as if it was blended, strange. I experienced the same thing with the 11 offering as well. I did not have this with the darker beers such as Trois or Terrible. Again its a decent beer but not overly impressive for a so called Belgian Strong Pale.

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. One of the best parts of the beer for me.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Very, very sour.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too

Overall: I don't know if It was a bad bottle. By the other reviews I'm guessing that may be the case but I'll wait a WHILE before trying it again.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Years ago, over a decade to be sure, I decided that I hated this beer and that it gave me an instant headache. I have become far wiser in the interceding years. This is still not my favorite, however.

A – Cloudy orange-yellow, quite carbonated.

S – The most distinctive smell: yeast, grain, banana and ripe fruit ester and a buttery richness meld to form a nose that is so identifiable. I think I could recognize it, easily, in a blind test.

T – It has many variables that I appreciate, but they do not combine in a manner that I am stoked on. Basically, it is too sweet, and drinks too hot, for me. I don't like any part of it all that much, and I am not quite sure why.

M – Sparkling, which would be good normally, but in this case it delivers an overwhelming amount of alcohol to the nose.

D – Nah. I'll pass. Give one to the Alstroms.

3.12/5  rDev -27.6%

12 ounce bottle served in a Duvel glass. Gusher. Pretty clear golden color with a fizzy white head. Aroma of alcohol, herbs and spice, sugar. The flavor is pretty alcoholic with a long burn. Sweet lemony flavor. Maybe too sweet. High carbonation. Not something I will seek out again.

3.14/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured to NB globe. After having so many times in the past, finally gonna put a pen to it.

A: hazy corn kernel appearance with limited head (this time, unusual). the surface remains scattered with fine white foam on the edges and rimming the edge. Little lacing.

S: Lots of banana, clove, cardamom, coriander. All spice and fruity esters. Light grain in the nose.

T: All the spice crosses through and offers more of the same. Banana more evident on the finish here. Finish also offers the peppercorns to show a bit. Some corn as well.

M: Light for the style, but lively carbonation. Leaves the mouth slick. Decent.

D: Drinkable, but not the best in show IMO. I find other triples more to my liking. their yeast is repulsive, and this is simply another stage for them to showcase the beast.

3.16/5  rDev -26.7%

Cloudy golden orange color. Not much head and there won't be much lacing. Still the orange gold glow seems fairly nice. This beer has great legs and it's surprising given that there just isn't any lacing.

Spicy, pear and hop aromas. Yeast, almost bread like (boring bread) in nature. Like most of these unibroue beers it is hard to get much aroma from it.

Spices dominate this beer, followed by dry yeast, and wheat flavors. There are some light citrus flavors trying to be heard from but the yeast and spices are just drowning them out.

Over carbonated in the mouth, but the body seems just right. A really refreshing beer given the 9% which just doesn't show up. I'm not a huge fan of this much carbonation, but it works just fine for this style.

I really don't like this style. I like this beer about as much as others I've had. I don't get it, I don't think I want to get it.

3.18/5  rDev -26.2%

I pop the cap and pour...and whoa, lots of foam. The beer settles down a bit and I top off my glass. The aroma of this brew is interesting; a touch of pineapple mixed with a bit

The flavor is complex, laced with sugars and a bit of cooked corn, which is definitely a negative. I suppose I should have had this before have a Westmalle Tripel...not a fair fight, eh? Rather sweet and almost cloying. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for this strength of beer, which adds to drinkability, but I'm still left with that cooked corn character haunting my palate that almost has me wanting me to pour this out. The Westmalle may have ruined my palate for this beer, but I'm shocked at how poorly it measures up.

3.18/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Hazy gold. Head is bright-white, starts off bubbly and massive. Head dwindles to a spotty, bubbly cap and collar. Lively carbonation.

Smell: Banana and pineapple. Loads of canned pineapple. Unibroue yeast adds its typical compliment of spicy esters, ripe banana, and bubblegum. Some minor. Love notes. Incredibly fruity. Sweet pale malts. Banana bread. Peppery spiciness.

Taste: Unibroue yeast kicks in immediately. Big banana bubblegum. Mild backing spiciness. Sweet pale malts bring some bready elements to the party. Peppery spiciness. As it warms the yeast becomes aggressive and overbearing. Huge punches of pineapple and banana. Spiciness builds becoming sharply peppered. Sweet, incredibly sweet by the end. Cracker and bread crust.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation on a body that runs toward light but ultimately end up medium. Nicely dry. Slightly smooth.

Overall: You want Unibroue yeast, this is the starter itself!

The first sip is delicious. As it warms, any balance it could have goes out the window. Sweet, but not sugary. If you love the style, it's definitely worth checking out.

3.19/5  rDev -26%

A - Pours opaque, hazy yellow. Leaves a loud 1 finger white foam head

S - Picking up that banana, yeasty character in the nose. Smells something like an old fashoned creamsicle

T - Somewhat of an orange flavor. There is a very faint flavor of banana to it as it warms.

M - Carbonation is strong on this one, almost like a soda water feel to it. Kind of an aluminum can like flavor in the aftertaste

D - Overall the high ABV is hidden relatively well, but I struggled to get through this one. The large amount of carbonation and the metallic taste just didnt grab me

Review adapted from notes taken in September, 2009

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Pale, golden color with an excellent head thanks to the bottle conditioning

Smell: Hints of yeast, light fruits, alcohol, fruity esters, wax - phenolic

Taste: If you know the Unibroue yeast strain, you know this beer - it is exploding with yeast funk, pale malts, light fruits, alcohol - spicy and tart, with an acidic bite

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, very well carbonated

Overall: The yeast gets to be too much after a while, best to split a 750mL

I have had La Fin Du Monde at least three times now. I was very excited to try it after reading all of the reviews on BA, but I found myself disappointed. I have reviewed and re-reviewed it since then. While I can understand why someone would enjoy it, this beer is simply not for me. It's too tart, too acidic, and the yeast funk is too overpowering. I think the Unibroue yeast strain works better in some of their other beers.

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - cloudy, creamy golden blonde ale with an off-white foamy head. Head lasts for a bit and then subsides to a 1/4-inch. Fairly active carbonation observed.

Smell - spicy floral hops with an herbal quality take center-stage remeniscent of some Belgian witbier I've tasted.

Taste - peppery, nearly medicinal clove taste over some refreshing bitters. Spiced taste definitely makes this a winter selection. Hardly any taste of alcohol in this but a warming feeling occurs after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - overall a pretty smooth beer. The wave of spices is a bit much for me but that's where it's at.

Drinkability - very easy going down for the alcohol content. You would never realize this is a 9% brew.

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Pours into my left hand brewing glass a hazy/cloudy golden color,

Smell: cloves and yeast,

Taste: mostly cloves with maybe some bitter citrus,

Mouthfeel: not bad I like the feel provided by the carbonation in this one,

Drinkability: ok, I think the clove taste is a bit overpowering drowning out any other flavors that this one might have had so it looses drinkability there,

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours an amber with orange and lemonade looks. Thick head that dissipates quickly leaving a common lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, apples, and moderate hoppiness.

For those who enjoy a beer that is based on sweetness and has some complexity on top of that, it's fine. For me, it's simply too sweet. Nice notes of lemon, cider, and tangy through the finish but I can't help but feel like I'm quaffing quintessentially glorified sugar water.

We all have our perspective. This beer just doesn't resonate with me. I realize this is a top shelf brew for many folks, for me it is just another flawed brew that aspires to greatness. Definitely not the "fin" of my "monde." Having Quebec ties I'd like this beer to be special but for me, it's not.

3.26/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Golden and murky. Head started large but disappeared to near nothing... also did not lace the glass much at all.

S- Very sweet smelling, Lots of phenols present in the smell, kind of grassy too.

T- Very sweet up front. Just like the smell, there's a moderate phenol presence and grassiness to the yeast character.

M- Seems very syrupy mixed with some carbonation and an astringent presence.

D- So, this beer has a smashing score on this site... It's good, but I just can't level it to so many other things I've had in the tripel category.

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle -> snifter

A - pours up a pale gold with an initial two finger head which quickly dissipates leaving only a retention ring and no lacing.

S - Not much on the nose. I mainly get bananas

T - heavy taste of crab apples, sweet and sour all at once with a very dry yeasty finish and some booziness.

M - kind of boozy

O - the only other beer I've from Unibroue was Trois Pistoles. I loved it, but this is not my cup of tea at all.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue