La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,471
3.38/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark orange with heavy carbonation with a full finger of white head that fades slowly and uniformally

S - a distinct spicy aroma, resembling cloves; with a definite hint of orange peel

T - hmmm, the taste is spicy like herbal teas with hops, surprisingly smooth, dont taste the champagne that the label says

M - it is very fizzy on my tongue from

D - moderate drinkability

3.39/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a thin head that recedes moderately fast. Lace is almost absent.

An earthy, cidery aroma jumps out of the glass. It's all apples and yeast, and I think it's too much.

The brew greets you with sweet apples, pears, and bananas, then finishes slightly bitter with malts and some alcohol. I don't want to knock it too much for this, but it's way tastes way too much like apple cider for me. It's syrupy and thick with a snappy carbonation, and the combination of the taste and the mouthfeel are not quite cloying.

I couldn't drink too many both because it's filling and the cider flavor is definitely not to my taste--I can see why this is so highly rated, though, so I would recommend giving it a shot.

3.39/5  rDev -21.3%

Very coarse, foamy head. Brownish-yellow and hazy with some chunks that accidentally got poured. Lively, almost painful carbonation cause quite a row in the mouth. Once the beer had sat for 15minutes or so the bubbles because manageable. Spicy yeast give the beer most of its character. Good pale malt presence to spar with the yeast and hops. A good beer, but not one of my favorites from these guys. IMHO it’s way over-hyped.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Large fizzy head at first that recedes to a persistent cap.
Smell is of orange juice, coriander, and a yeasty sourness. taste follows smell, with a slight tobacco flavor hinted at.
Mouthfeel is a light to medium body with tons of carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden.
Overall this is an OK beer. The first time I had this was as a 750 ml bottle. That was way too much. A 12 oz is about all you would want.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm noticing that metallic taste as well, but it's not too off putting when the rest of the beer is quite good. A lot of carbonation in it, pours fantastically with a small amount of head.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

This brew pours a golden yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. After 5-10 minutes the head dissapates down to a thin light layer. Lots of bubbles are seen coming up from the bottom of the beer. Spicy, of cloves, banana (very much like a hefeweisen), some citrus, a little alcohol in the finish. Drinkability is lower because it was so spicy. I don't think I would really want to drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Overall though, a tasty unique Belgian-inspired brew that I will most likely try again when I'm picking up an assortment of singles.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

Tasted at a little beer tasting I did with myself.

The appearance is golden yellow with a very crisp head. The head starts our at two fingers with an aggressive pour, but very soon leaves through the backdoor and takes all of its belongings with it. It is a clear brew, but is lighter in color.

The smell is of bready yeasts and very crisp hops. Their is some malt background in their as well but it all takes a backseat to the yeast.

The taste is of bready and Belgian yeasts with a slight malt background. It has a very crisp lavender and clove flavor that is brought up by the yeasts. Lighter in all aspects of the tastes than other Tripels I have had.

The mouthfeel is of strong carbonation and smooth finish. This is a refreshing drink, but not incredibly tasty. I would prefer St B.'s Tripel to this one.

3.45/5  rDev -20%

Tons of bubbles and the sounds of this Ale are striking. The label reads best by 2015! Everything indicates tremendous freshness. The color gives off a golden glow, very nice, very pretty.

The scent is fragrant and strong, clove, banana, yeast and a hint of fruity citrus.

The taste is simple...yes, simple. The banana is present, yeasty in the middle, followed by the clove but I don't get a whole lot more. The label reads "robust flavour" but I can't find it. This seems to be a basic "Triple, Golden Ale." Maybe I just don't get it or the style but this isn't something I'd try again.

3.45/5  rDev -20%

This beer was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack purchased from Kappy's Liqours in Falmouth MA. $8.99 for the 4 pack.

Appearance: It reminded me exactly of a cloudy clover honey,the golden color was quite beautiful. The bottle was a borderline "gusher" and produced a monster fluffy white head.

Smell: Slightly floral with hints of herb.

Taste: What really hit me was the sweetness of this brew, once again the honey analogy. The aftertaste had a hint of mint and a very slight hop which was very slight in my opinion. I had no burn from the 9% alcohol, in fact had I not know from reading the bottle I wouldnt have believed it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy would about sum it up nicely I should think, creamy and smooth.

Notes: Overall a fine beer, I dont think I would want to partake in multiples of this one in a session though, not for the alcohol content mind you , but more for the pervading sweetness of the drink. I tasted none of the tartness that some of the other reviewers detected however I still have 3 brews to go so I shall update the review as needed.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a fairly light clear and a bit hazy golden wheat color with a huge light bright white head. Nose is all Québécois yeast - very Belgian inspired and distinctive.

Taste is super dry, a bit hoppy and slighty tart. It's got a really sulfury taste as well which is odd. Mouthfeel is huge and rich, very creamy.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer smells like dirty locker room socks after a hard day on the gridiron...but delivers in the end when it counts.

A - Pours nicely with two finger head and settles well.

S - As metioned before, in our experience, this beer smells like Bigfoot's dick - maybe we got a bad bottle, but it was enough to turn off even the most experienced beer drinker. Grassy notes, pear, some clove(?). Overall was not pleasant.

T - Taste was satisfying. Compared to the smell, this beer delivered. Really can taste the pear and other earthy/fruit notes.

M - Light and crisp - well carbonated but not overpowering to the point that it ruined the beer. Still able to get the flavors.

D - Maybe had a bad bottle, but don't let the smell deter you from enjoying this beer. Goes down smooth with little effect from the alcohol content. Flavors in the beer really come out after it warms up a few degrees. Definetely not a session beer but sure to be a favorite with most everyone who appreciates a good Belgian tripel.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 750-milliliter bottle into a chalice. Has a nice brozenish/yellow colour to it. Has a very nice nose. Hints of cloves/spice and a hint of fruitiness. Fairly smooth, crisp taste but has a slight bitternes to it. Over all great beer, wonderfull winter warmer.(especially on a cold snowy evening)

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

Popped the cork on this, got a nice puff of smoke. Poured into a chalis, Cloudy Orange. Head faded fairly quicky leaving only traces around the edges.

Smell is cirus, tangerine, lime, orange maybe. Also some hops cutting through.

Noticed some malt flavor upon first sip that was not really present on the smell, but defineatle present in tasting. Good amount of carbonation but still seemed kind of flat, I guess the lack of any head may account for some of that, Alcohol noticeable on the finish
but other than that, it's disguised very well. not bad, not as good as I expected. Paid $8 for this bottle but would probably only pay about $5 or so. Overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

3.47/5  rDev -19.5%

The end of the world is a golden orange sunset, adorned with an elegant – though dissipating lace. There’s no explosions, just a subtle fire to spicy a mellow, alcohol laden brew. The banana and clove aroma is soothing while the flavors are simple, delicate, and diverse. Hints of pineapple in the hops were most surprising while the majority of the notes were standard fruits and spices. This is an average interpretation of an awesome style. Though light on body, this brew was quite drinkable. C’est la fin du la monde, et je me sens bien.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

NOTE: I simply am not a fan of tripels so my rating is biased

Have had numerous times in the bottle and finally rating this.

Pours hazy golden orange with an abundance of foam that disappears quickly.

Aroma is very floral, but a ton of bready yeast present. Some hints of lemon and cinnamon.

Flavor is mild sweet honey, then a pretty well balanced bitterness, but the yeast really dominates the flavor.

Medium bodied, lively carbonation that accentuates the flavor.

Overall, probably a very solid example of the style, but this is not a beer I return to often.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

--came in an average brown bottle with a white foil wrap over the top.
--A copper/dirt straw like in color with a great cloudiness. Nice thick, full head that lasted quite a while. After thinning left great traces of lacing.
--A slightly sweet smell almost fruitly but not quite.

Given the strength of this beer I was quite surprised by the taste and drinkability of it. Although it is strong this aint your brown bag beer...this one is great for sipping anytime. Would drink again. Thx.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Nothing too special in this department. A urine yellow color with a decent white head that quickly fades

S: Smell a citrus, piney scent off the bat. Malts in the middle and a slight hop scent on the backend. Not getting too much special off of his brew.

T: Wow, this one surprised me in a bad way. After seeing some of the reviews, I was really gunning for this one. Tastes like citrus apple flavored sparkling water. Not much else going on.

M: Very smooth with a hint too much carbonation, but still very good in this category.

D: This one is exceptionally drinkable mainly because it tastes like a sparkling water and not like a beer.

All in all, this brew disappointed me. If you like a refreshing beer comparable to sparkling water, then this is for you. If you like heavy hops or malts, then this one might not be for you. Good to try at least once to give it a chance, but otherwise, I do not recommend.

3.49/5  rDev -19%

12.oz bottle from a 4 bottle "taster pack" poured into a 16oz. glass.

A- Pours a nice cloudy gold with a fluffy 2 finger head that sticks around. Appearance is typical for the style.

S- The smell is faint and hard to pick up on. Might have served this one too cold. From what I can get, it's bananas, cloves, and grassy hay.

T- The taste is very good actually. Complex and just the right amount of fruit and spice. Bananas and black pepper, with some cloviness and hints of muscat grapes. Fairly complex.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Matches the style and the abv and makes this easy to sip.

O- This is my first Unibroue beer and one of the better tripels I have gotten to try. They aren't really my style and I like this anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to trying the others from the taster pack.

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Somewhat cloudy yellow colour with two fingers of white head. Very carbonated which created a lot of head on the pour.

S - Bready malts with sweet citrus and spices in the background. No discernible hops.

T - Bready malts up front with citrus and cloves and some tropical fruit (banana) in the background.

M - Light body. Moderate carbonation.

D - A good Belgian triple, not my preferred style but still good.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

My first trippel and purchased due to rave reviews from friends. Initial pour had lots of white head, yellow-irange in color. Aroma of citrus at first, but with another smell I was able to pick out some bananas. Active palate, with plenty of carbonation. Had a yeasty, citrusy taste. Finish was bitter and alcoholic. At first I wasn’t that big a fan, but as I sipped more, I enjoyed it and detected some peppery taste. I guess I'm not much of a coriander guy. I particularly enjoyed the last of the 750 ml bottle. A good beer and I’m glad I tried it.

A - nice colour

S - banana, yeasty with a hint of sweetness

T - clean crisp with no aftertaste.

M - no bite, drinks nice

Overall, a nice fruity drinkable beer. It goes nicely with spice wings and grilled seafood. Also, if you reduce it over low heat in a sauce pan, it mixes well with mix berries.

750ml BBD 07-18-09

Pours an effervescent strawberry peach color with finger of white head. Superior head retention & good lacing

S: Fruitty with staw notes. Some phenolic notes as this warms

T: Pears, apple skins & dryness up front. Warming booze & citric hops (lemons& grapefruit) follow, along with jammy notes. As this warms I get phenolic, earthy & mushroomy (?) notes along with hints of shorbread. Finishes with warming to almost hot alcohol, appleskins, pears, & lemony hops

MF: Medium-bodied, pretty active carbonation fits the style

Drinks a bit slow, I'm sure this is better more matured. I fear this bottle has been opened at least a year too early.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

Golden liquid with moderate head when poured in wide chalice glass. Light rounded malty smell. Light maltness with subdued fruit esters of pear and apple, accompanied by a mellow phenol spiceyness. Maltyness fades to noticeable alcohol presence and subtle hop bitterness. Bubbly almost foamy carbonation with a relatively thin malty body. Good beer.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

We shared a 750ml bottle into a maredsous chalice and a large wine goblet. Pours a delightful golden color with a quite vigorous amount of foam - very nice. The aroma, even upon warming up, was not particularly strong - some coriander and citrus but not a lot past that. The taste was also a bit of a letdown - it was very smooth but we were hoping for more belgian ester and yeast flavors.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

i tried this beer not knowing what to expect as i was not familiar with this company. the 1st bottle was opened and the smell was enticing my 1st thought was this is going to be good. and i was right. tasted good in my mouth and went down nice and smooth . i am looking forward to sampling more from this brewer

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue