Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,912 | Ratings: 9,762
4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. It has a best by date of 10-15-18.

Look -- Poured a hazy straw with three fingers of creamy head that quickly settled. It head coats the sides of the class before gravity turns it into webbing.

Smell -- Strong banana and clove with hints of bubblegum. There is a malty breadiness and some lemony tartness coming through.

Taste -- Nice hoppy bitterness join the characteristics of the nose along with a warming alcohol that peeks through.

Feel -- Nice carbonation balance with the medium body and keeps it from coat or clinging.

Overall -- A fantastic tripel. If you like those Belgian yeast estery qualities and want something that packs a punch alcohol wise you should give it a try.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy medium brassy orange with three sudsy fingers of bone white head that leaves sheets of bubble bath lace as it recedes.

Smells of dried candied fruit, peppery cloves and herbs, lemon zest, mild soft banana and wildflowers.

Tastes of more sugary dried fruit, marmalade, nutty banana bread, honeyed lemonade and spicy yeast.

Feels soft and fluffy. Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Finishes off-sweet.

Verdict: Vigorously recommended. One of the best.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite simply the best tripel ive ever had...look is a deep dark orange, smell is of ripe fruit and alcohol, taste is the same but with a little smokey and sweet, mouthfeel incredible for the style....an old one but those are the best.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I suspect this might be what an Imperial Bavarian-style Hefe Weissen might taste like if there was such an animal (and I do like a hefe). Cloudy gold color. Nose is yeast, bread, cloves, a bit of banana, a bit of booze - wonderful, with a taste that follows the nose profile. Nicely carbonated; not as dry as other Tripels I have had recently. Doesn't completely hide the ABV which comes through at the end, but it is smooth and drinkable enough that this on could sneak up on you. World class.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful tasting beer. Golden and cloudy with thick creamy foam. Good combination of malt and spice taste with a non-bitter,curt finish. Overall just a fantastic beer. Reminds me of Hennepin.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - nice golden hazy color with a big white head that sticks and leaves nice lacing
S - big banana, lemon, bready malts, white pepper, caramel, spicy malt presence
T - banana, clove, lemon, bready malts, white pepper, caramel
Feel - alcohol covered, medium feel, aftertaste is bready malts
O - good beer. Not world class as the rating would have you believe, however it is very good.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

** 01/02/2012
Bottle at Dubh Linn Square. Citrus,Dark Cloudy pour,Citrus, belgian yeast "wang", but smoothed over.good carbonation. Oh no, It's the end of the world. I wouldn't be so upset if I had one of these in my hand.
03/28/2015
Drinking, Bottle to "Hotel Water Glass", at the Borgata. I've had this a few times since 2008 and it never disappoints; I've found some other Unibroue's I like better (Le Terrible, Trois Pistoles), but this is still the one from my 2008 trip to Montreal that I remember.

c'est le champagne des bières je la bois depuis sa naissance et j'ai même bue un magnum vieilli de trois ans, le summum c'est une fin du monde le vendredi soir ce qui fini très bien la semaine.

désolé pour le Français mais c'est comme ca

next time maybe

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

One of the best Tripels I have ever tasted. Tried it after reading positive reviews on BA. This is a bottle conditioned ale that (IMHO) needs to be poured like directed on Unibroue's web site; they recommend the yeast be mixed into the beer by gently turning the bottle upside down.
Make sure you pour it into a glass that will not only allow an appreciation of the floral/citrus notes, but that will also accommodate a sizable head. Goes down very smooth, extremely drinkable.
Turned my son-in-law, who was predominately an IPA fan, into someone who has now testing other Belgian ales by having him try this brew.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle dated best by 10-26-18, so i'm drinking it really fresh it would appear. Pours a very bubbly bright white head and a golden lightly carbonated, wheat-beer body. Lacing is webby and sporadic. Smell is kind of like licorice and root beer hard candy, mixed with clove-like spices, but very ale-like and sophisticated, not gimmicky. Wheat-backbone carries the spiced, refreshing, fruity esters down the throat. Pears, maybe I'm just imagining, but this is a really next-level beer that always is peeling back another layer to reveal more interesting and unique attributes. Highly recommended, it's like a unique, spiced wheat beer that hides its alcohol better than anything I've ever tried. It manages to accomplish these things subtletly while maintaining OG wheat beer characteristics, unlike anything I've tried. Cheers!

Licorice and root beer candies is what the first sip gives me. It reminds me of my childhood, drinking a old soda pop, but cutting the sugar. Grown up and sophisticated. Smells slightly of an earthy root beer plant. That's all I can really say, it hides it's alcohol extremely well. This is a future desert for me when I don't want something sweet.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

At the top of the Tripel category with 2,888 reviews and almost twice as many Hads as the #2, I'm highly unlikely to add much value in a review. I ditto those who prefer this ale among Unibroue's fine collection.

But, I also will offer this comment: as the Fin Du Monde warms during the meal, it really becomes two distinct ales, though obviously related. When the food is hot, the beer cools and calms the palate and complements the spices along the way. (I last had this ale with Thai pad thai.) But as the meal finishes, the ale flavors get stronger and it boosts this process if you pour the yeast in at end of the bottle.

Interestingly, MJ's 1999 edition gave this 2.5 stars out of 4. (I wonder if this recipe and brewer has improved significantly in two decades.?) MJ's simple, short reviews (who I should learn from) was: "suggestions of honey and anise.) The master says: KISS, Keep It Simple & Short.

4/11/16 Tasted again... new flash...
The alcohol interferes with the taste of the tomato/basil sauce; really overwhelmed the food at the end. Next time, I'll try this as prelude to the food. As for the 4 pack I just bought, I think I'll store the remaining 3 for the 2018 date and see if it cools off.

3.44/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

I don't know what it is about this brewery. It comes with a taste that reminds me of biting into a salad. It ruins the beer for me.

Best thing about this is it's consistency. Very smooth and goes down fine. Worst thing - the taste. Just can't get into it.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden with a truly luxurious head. The aroma has pears, lemon, yeast, faint banana, spice, flowers, sweetness. Very nice. A complex taste, with the spice, yeast, and fruits from the aroma coming back. High carbonation, which makes this a dangerous beer to open. Alcohol burn is present. This is great! Head and shoulders above other North American tripels like New Belgium's. Worth every penny.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a rich golden yellow color. a big two finger white head with strong retention and leaving behind a nice frothy lacing. pretty much opaque due to some haziness and the occasional sediment.

Smell: strong yeast character, fairly split between phenols and esters, with notes of banana, pepper, clove, and pears. wheat and lightly sweet malt. light amount of alcohol.

Taste: opens up opens with a little bit of banana mixing with pear. phenols take over with a good amount of clove and a lesser amount of pepper. malts are nice and sweet, ranging from a pale/pilsner to a little bit of caramel. small amount of alcohol plays in near the end.

Mouthfeel: moderately bodied. easily drinkable but better when enjoyed slowly. small amount of warming and lingering alcohol. light lingering sweetness and yeastiness.

Overall: A top level beer at a killer price and great availability. I don't revisit nearly as much as I should but this is one of the most approachable beers into the wonderful world of Belgian beers. a must try for all beer drinkers.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Truly a fantastic beer. Complex, just jam packed with flavour. Excellent example of a Belgian Tripel, especially since it's not from Belgium. If you're looking to get your feet wet with this style, (especially if you live in Canada), give this one a go.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Belgians, and this one particularly didn't sit well. Clear, overcarbonated, yeasty, and watery, Not worth the high price unless you really love Belgians.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Been a fan of this beer for long time.

Look-pours nicely into tulip glass, nice carbonation.
Smell- typical Belgian tripel
Taste- prob my fav tripel. Nice yeasty finish
Feel- diggin the carbonation on this.
Overall- much more of a quad fan than tripels or dubbels but this is quite simply a very good, well made beer

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap, poured into a tulip. Typical banana and cloves on the nose and palate. From what I'm told this is an excellent representation of the style...one that I must not be into.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried it in a beer fest with over 50 other beers and this stuck in my memory as the best I had that night!
Awesome tripel from our neighbours, eh?! one beer not to miss on this planet.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into tulip glass. Marked best by 06-10-18. Paired with homemade tikka masala curry for dinner. One of my perennial favorite beers.

Look: Clear, light gold in color. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Classic tripel smell of banana and Belgian yeast.

Taste: Banana bread, dry finish.

Feel: Bursting with carbonation, I assume because of the bottle fermentation. This actually complements the sweetness of the beer, making it more refreshing. A little too sticky sweet at the end.

Overall: Excellent example of a Belgian tripel, especially for not actually being Belgian.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy golden color, with a small bubbly head. The head has a particularly interesting appearance to me, wherein rather than looking like one singular entity, it looks like it's composed of a large amount of small individual bubbles that just happen to interlock. Anywho, great appearance.

Smells of banana, caramel, Belgian yeast. The fruity aspect of this smell is definitely very present.

The taste is generally quite similar to the smell. Taste is subdued, yet very appealing. Mouthfeel is dry, with high carbonation.

I am not that familiar with the style since earlier, but the few examples I've had (Chimay White etc) have all been disappointing to me. This is not. Very satisfying taste, which is both simple and nuanced at the same time - with a drinkability that makes you forget the 9% ABV. Most excellent!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Hazy golden yellow, pours thick white head that bubbles down to a nice thin lace.

Smell- Bananas, raisins, flowers and sweet spice.

Taste- Spices and fruit, Belgian malts and honey. A nice sweet alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Effervescent and dry. A nice alcohol burn in the finish. This beer goes down easy and is truly enjoyable to drink.

This is a very tasty tripel. I love Belgian style beers and this is one of my favorites.

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I don't normally review styles I'm not very familiar with but I am so impressed by this I'd like to give it a go. So... 8-7-15 poured into a tulip. Cloudy caramel colored w dense off white 1 inch head w great retention. Nose is sweet, dank and old orange peel. Hint of champagne. Taste threw me off because it didn't follow the nose as much as I'd thought it would. I expected more sour and yeast but was surprised by how sweet and mild it was. Leaning towards more mild orange but more of a citrus blend. As it warms I'm feeling the body change from light to medium light. I thought it would be more carbonated. Overall I'm very impressed with this beer. Surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ummmmmmmmmm, wow. I do not want to overstate things, but this is one of the very best things I have ever put in my mouth. Let's just leave it at that.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue