La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,169 | Reviews: 2,859
4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

750 ML corked and caged bottle.

A large white head atop a cloudy bronze greeted me after the pour. A little less than half-finger of head stuck around throughout the first snifter, but I got only minimal lacing with the second pour. I can easily smell sweet fruit, clove and malts even though I have a bit of a cold. Banana flavors among other fruity esters accent the spices, clove and malts nicely for a sweet, yeasty taste that finishes dry, but not too dry with a touch of warming alcohol.

It's the end of the world as we know it et je me sens très bien!

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

La Fin Du Monde.... Ahh was looking for this for a while. Got a bottle at Purvis Wine Merchants.

A = Poured a golden yellow with a thick foam head that lingers. Unfiltered.

S = Fruits. Sweet fruit.

T = Initial taste of sweet fruits which then morphs into a spicy pepper finish.

M = Slightly viscous. Lightly carbonated.

D = Only thing stopping me from giving drinkability a 4 is that its a little expensive.

Very good beer none the less. I definitely reccommend it.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

25 oz bottle shared at Zeno's. Pour into a tulip a nice cloudy golden color with a very thick and persistant white head. Smell is light- sweet fruity and yeasty. Taste starts with sweet malt which turns into a very nice fruit flavor which is difficult to place. Perhaps very sweet oranges. There is also some good spicy hop flavor to balance it out in the finish. Very balanced and tastey brew. This has a very nice medium full mouthfeel with some significant carbonation that suits this beer very well. This is 9% ABV but it's hard to tell from the taste- very well hidden. I have no doubt that it is in fact present however- this stuff hits hard. Dangerous and wonderful. "End of the World" indeed.

2.8/5  rDev -35.2%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this from a bottle, at of all places, in a really nice pool hall. (i don't play pool, it was my first time there and was shocked to see the extensive beer menu). It was my first "real" beer and was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy as I feared it might be. The mouth feel was surprisingly light although I could "taste" the alcohol after I swallowed it. In a way it kinda reminded me of sam adams summer ale. (PLease don't yell at me if that is an inappropriate comparison) Although I could not see what it looked like, (in fact I was unable to see light through it at all) I imagine it was darker than almost anything I've ever had. the smell was absolutly wonderfull and I imagine if I built up a tolerance I could drink a few at one sitting...not a session, that would be a shame (and expensive).
I do, however, have a serious question, are you supposed to drink the sediment at the bottom? I did and found it raunchy. I would appreciate an answer because I plan to try it again.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- hazy golden orange with a fluffy white head.

S- very sweet and fruity. most notable aroma is of apricot and yeast.

T- starts off sweet and fruity, similar to a hefe. finish has some mild hop bitterness. mild alcohol aftertaste

M- medium to thick feel. a little chewy with a a nice balance of carbonation, but still very smooth.

D- dangerously easy to drink @ 9%.

overall- where is that 9% hiding at? besides the very faint hint of alcohol in the aftertaste, its very similar to a beefed up hefe. very smooth with a hint of hops makes for a very enjoyable beer.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured a hazy yellow color, with a small, egg shell colored head that left no lacing on the glass. Both the aroma and taste was full of sweet citrus, light sourness, yeast, and some alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated, its not one of my favorite Belgian styled beer, but its retty decent.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

( Served in a tall chalice)

A- This beer pours a hazy light orange with a big rocky white head

S- Orange zest and light pale malt notes with a slight tart quality and some faint hops

T- Orange notes with a nice soft malt quality. A very nice bitter hop finish that reminds me a bit of German hops. No real alcohol taste very smooth and balanced. As it warms some spicy almost peppery notes come through.

M- medium mouthfeel with a faint note of fizz. No astringency or alcohol warmth

D- Wow for having 9% ABV this was a very gentle smooth beer that had lots of good qualities and a nice finish.

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

This brew pours a golden yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. After 5-10 minutes the head dissapates down to a thin light layer. Lots of bubbles are seen coming up from the bottom of the beer. Spicy, of cloves, banana (very much like a hefeweisen), some citrus, a little alcohol in the finish. Drinkability is lower because it was so spicy. I don't think I would really want to drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Overall though, a tasty unique Belgian-inspired brew that I will most likely try again when I'm picking up an assortment of singles.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

Popped the cork on this, got a nice puff of smoke. Poured into a chalis, Cloudy Orange. Head faded fairly quicky leaving only traces around the edges.

Smell is cirus, tangerine, lime, orange maybe. Also some hops cutting through.

Noticed some malt flavor upon first sip that was not really present on the smell, but defineatle present in tasting. Good amount of carbonation but still seemed kind of flat, I guess the lack of any head may account for some of that, Alcohol noticeable on the finish
but other than that, it's disguised very well. not bad, not as good as I expected. Paid $8 for this bottle but would probably only pay about $5 or so. Overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours out a murky gold with a thick white creamy white head that recedes leaving big webs of lace. Looks really great.

Smell is quite fruity, with lots of pineapple and banana at the front mixing with a healthy yeast scent and the tiniest bit of alcohol. Very clean in the nose and quite nice to sniff.

Taste is quite good, a yeasty pale ale with lots of banana overtones, tropical fruit, and a bit of a bite on the back end. Not as aggressively spicy as a lot of brews in this vein, but quite good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is crisp with zinging carbonation and medium-bodied.

Overall: Quite nice; I had been slowly trying the Unibroue line when I couldn't find other, "weirder" brews, but I might run through all of them now.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

Opaque and straw hued, topped with fluffy white carbonation. Chunks of yeast swirl and float. Head fades a little too fast.

Aromas have a hint of orange, grass and something that comes across as mango. Balanced, but not overwhelming in any particular manner.

Nicely balanced flavors, again with some orange, mangos and unrefined sugar. Sweet up front, dry on the finish.

Very smooth mouthfeel, coats exceptionally well without cloying.

Extremely drinkable, especially since it's 9% abv. Very nice and clean and a great Summer refresher.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Brown with gold hints, and a pleasing aroma of yeast and citrus fruit. It strikes a great balance between fruit and yeast flavors too, along with some sweet floral notes. Quite carbonated, with no overpowering alcohol flavors. Refreshing enough to be consumed in hot weather, yet warming enough to be consumed in the winer. Well done!

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

La Fin Du Monde according to Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.

But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great

And would suffice.

750 ml bottle Pours allmost clear pale golden with a dense creamy-white head supported by strong beading with good lace. Clean malty aroma with tart lemons mixes with weaker Belgian spices - clove and yeast. Flavors similar to aroma. Smooth & creamy mouthfeel. Finishes fairly dry, low hops expose flavors of sweet malts with only a slightly bitter bite of alcohol in the aftertaste. This really works well and it is most drinkable expecially for 9% ABV.

Definately worth trying before you perish! Carpe Diem.

Its the end of the review, and I am feeling fine!

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a real belgian drinker, so this review comes from someone that isn't really all about the style. That being said...

It's the color of the sun... That's the best way to describe it. It's yellow, and cloudy. It has a very floral smell. Smells sweet.

Sipping it, you feel how thick it is, mostly because it's got a bunch of alchol in it. But fizzy. Tiny fiz. That's another "Best way to describe it". Tiny little carbonation bubbles.

The taste is of rose, and sweet floral esters. There's a mild bitterness in the back that hits your nose 2-3 seconds after the swallow.

It's pleasent to drink, and the 9% alcohol is well balanced. Gives you anice warm sensation.

Even though Belgiuns aren't my favorite, this beer was pretty good.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle, approximately a year old - best before 6/15/07. Served slightly chilled in a tulip glass. Pours a golden orange/yellow that is slightly cloudy and has a 1 inch white head that sticks nicely. Smells like orange juice, lemons, spiciness, pepper, yeast, and cloves. The orange juice aroma is slightly off-putting. The taste is virtually the same but with coriander and a mild bitterness. It is very malty with a lot of sweetness and a thick body with medium carbonation. It's good, but I remember it being even better than this.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: A full charged straw yellow, honey-colored body. Rapid carbonation leads to an airy head that is tough to beat. The hazy body hosts the yeast cells drifting around the bottom.

Smell: This aroma is phenomenal. It is filled, I mean filled, with citrus and spice. Fresh black pepper and clove is followed by the freshness of lemon. A belgian yeast aroma is clearly present.

Taste and mouthfeel: The carbonation feels like little pin pricks hitting the tongue. A sweet, light malt is extremely smooth. The alcohol gently warms your body as it travels down your throat. This is like a belgian wit on steroids.

Drinkability: "The end of the world" packs a serious punch of flavors, aroma, and brain kick. Remarkably good, but you may end up at La Fin du Monde if you go to nuts with this one. This is such and awesome beer!

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

--R.E.M.

Yeast-laden, effervescent, brilliant gold with an expansive, billowy cap of rich, aged ivory. Plenty of BSPAs have this basic appearance, but something about this one strikes me as near perfect as I let bright morning sunlight stream through the window and catch fire in the glass. The head is in too much of a hurry to depart and almost no lace is visible, so I'm forced to curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Definitely a good nose for the style, but I'm not gobsmacked. There's a smidgen less power than anticipated and less complexity as a result. I can appreciate spicy pear and apple fruit with intimations of clove spice. It's hard to say if an actual Belgian yeast strain is in use. If so, it's one of the tamer varieties. The aroma opens up a bit more with warming and becomes more white peppery as well.

Most of the usual style elements are present: orchard fruit, spice and well-integrated alcohol. The beer is sweeter than some with a more subdued spiciness. The word elegant comes to mind. La Fin Du Monde is unquestionably a civilized, mannered version of the style. The thing is, I tend to prefer rabble rousers. I enjoy the flavor, but I find myself wishing that there was more of it and that it would hang around a while longer.

Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle helps a little, but not enough. This is good beer that could be great beer with a tweak or two. The finish is tackysweet and is the capper to a wonderfully lush mouthfeel that is the highlight of this entire experience for me.

La Fin Du Monde is a wonderful effort and is an admirable example of its style. However, it lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and therefore doesn't quite equal the best BSPAs. That said, I'm savoring the final few ounces and I'm definitely feeling fine.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Hazy straw, white fizzy head with decent stay-time. Complex aroma of peppery spiciness, peach,mango, and banana fruitiness, flower petals, and sweet grains. Flavor starts very sweet and orangy with aforementioned pepper and high carbonation spritz. Ends in a nice balance as the acidity and sweetness fade away. Phenolics seem a bit minerally in a pleasant way. Alcohol is rather hidden in the flavor but not the effect. Pleasant fuzziness sets in quickly with this brew. Very well-rounded, but strong flavors and solid spiciness. Well-made and complex.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a solid, cloud, pale orange color. The head is enormous, bright white and fluffy, and lasts for the whole glass. The aroma is of citrus fruits with floral and herbal notes. This beer smells fantastic. The taste is citrusy and tangy with some alcohol in the background. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied. Overall, this is a great brew, and very enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who wants something big and refreshing on a hot summer day.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer poured a deep gold color, mildly hazy with a thick egg-white colored head. The head continues to refresh itself via a thin stream of champagne bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The nose has a mild bread-dough aroma up front followed by citrus/orange and grapefruit rind, some coriander spice, finished by a mild caramel malt. The taste has more of the citrus up front backed by the spice, finished nicely by the malt in the form of toffee. This beer has a wonderful carbonation, a light and bright mouth feel, and a high drinakbility. A great NA Belgian style ale.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Aside from the fact that this beer has a tendency to sneak up on you, it's an incredibly consistent, delicious beer. Unibroue, one of Canada's finest breweries, always produces this well-balanced beer in the same manner and well suited for aging.

La Fin Du Monde was one of the first craft brews I ever purchased. I bought my first 25 oz. bottle in Canada well below US legal drinking age and stored it in my closet at home for close to 6 years. I had no idea how to properly age a beer and when I did I'd decided to continue "aging" the beer for some quasi-scientific curiosity.

I drank the beer with the current brewer at Shed Brewery and surprisingly it wasn't putrid. The alcohol had continued to develop for at least 3 of those years, because it nearly burned our eyes. But the yeast characteristics and maltiness maintained. I wouldn't recommend aging to the length that I performed, but La Fin du Monde has a life of it's own, a fighting will to survive and to be the better beer. Enjoy and appreciate.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Served in it's glass, a pale hazy yellow with 2 fingers of frothy white head and a small amount of lacing. Smell is spicy apple skins, tangerine, bubblegum, bananas, grass, wonderfully complex. Taste is like smooth rich banana pudding, with some oranges, apples, spices, and cloves all thrown in the mix. Superb. Velvety mouthfeel throughout, and alcohol that is absolutely hidden from sight, this is a dangerously tempting beer. One of the best Belgians I have ever tasted from right here in North America.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Golden to straw colored and cloudy. Heavily carbonated. Tall cake like white head, that remains thick throughout the drink.

Smell: yeasty. Smells a little like lcove. Furity. Very tasty smelling.

Taste: Sweet alcohol flavor. Tastes of clove, apple and grpaes. Spicy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Alcoholic warming. Heavily carbonated.

Drinkability. Very tasty. It meets my expectations from this beer, but doesn't really exceed them very much...But that won't keep this beer from me.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

A delicious Pale Ale! Our Canadian friends have made another successful Belgian-taste-alike with this one.

The 11.2 oz beer pour richly into the chalice -- a blonde straw color. A tiny bubbled white head form and last for quite a while. A relaxing citrus aroma accompanies the head.

The taste is right on -- not to spicy or sweet or fruity. Right down the middle, Tripel, but it's not. A very rick brew for a Pale Ale. This one is a keeper.

I will keep several of these on hand for guests.

Cheers.