Follow our progress ...

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,924 | Ratings: 9,842
4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass

Best before date printed on the back label

19 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy golden honey color. Pours with a nice white head. Very nice sticky and patchy lacing. Solid carbonation is present as well.

Smell: Yeasty and phenolic on the nose. Strong clove influence is present. Slight citrus notes. Mild banana. Very complex. Slightly herbal presence as well.

Taste: Excellent malty sweetness upon the arrival. Sweet clove taste with a lingering herbal finish. There is a warming affect of the high ABV, however the alcohol is masked very well. Intriguing. Beautiful balance between all of the tasting notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation on the tongue. Creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is quite refreshing. Very easy to drink despite the high alcohol content.

Ending notes: This is a very complex, but enjoyable brew. A perfect archetype of the style. I would highly recommend this to any beer enthusiast. Once you have a sip, you want to go back for more. Phenomenal. Best tripel I have had thus far.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours into a 16oz tulip with a brilliant golden haziness. Good two finger head rests on top.

S - Sugars and fruits. Slight alcohol.

T - Citrus with a bit of malt mixed in. Hints of bitterness and alcohol on the back end.

M - Great feel. Light to medium in body with a pleasant creaminess.

D - This one is somewhat heavy for such a light beer. ABV keeps a night full of these out of reach for me.

Fantastic!

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

My first review!
What amazes me most about this beer is that it is made in large quantities by a brewery owned by Sleemans, yet it is every bit a beautiful craft beer. And it can be bought at the Beer Store in a case of 24 for $46.95 making this just under 2 bucks a beer. It's not often you can enjoy a beer this good for that little.

Pours beatifully into a snifter leaving tiny lacey bubbles after the fine white head dies down. Thick slow legs. Swirling it around a bit excites the bubbles again and opens up the banana champagne aroma.

Tingles at the front of the tongue, opens up spicey and sweet then recedes at the back of the mouth into hints of banana and a kiss of alchohol that is very subtle at 9% ABV. I get a citrusy cream soda taste throughout that is just delicious. I'm very glad it is so easy to get a hold of these beers and I'm introducing all of my friends to it.

Merry Christmas all!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

What can one say that has not already been said? One word, bien! But, if I must expound then I shall.

This offering is sent directly to us from the great country of Quebec. One has to wonder, “will it’s pale orange appearance and citrusy aroma leave me disappointed or will it deliver on all that has been promised?” Oh oui! Kudos on a beer well built. I do enjoy Maudite more but who’s to complain?

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured with a big head and great lacing.

Smell was fruity with a hint of alcohol. Taste was fresh and clear with alcohol finish. A great example of the Belgian style. The alcohol keeps it from being a real session beer for me, but for a great taste it is a good one.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Nice golden color, slightly hazy. Very little lacing with very thin head.

S: Wheat, a hint of citrus, slight scent of hops and sweetness.

T: Hint of corriander, slightly sweet malt flavor, some citrus, some hops, hint of bitterness and alcohol at the back of the tongue.

M: Light to medium body, bubbly over the tongue, smooth.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Been saving this one for a few weeks for the right occasion. A perfect post-election beer.

Appearance: Out comes a cloudy straw colored liquid with a large fizzy white head that recedes quickly. A look that beckons to be sipped.

Smell: I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. Very sweet fruity esters. Orange peel and other mulling spices really hit a home run. Its like drinking apple cider only better.

Taste: The spices really shine along with the citrus. Very complex flavor. A slight hint of bitterness from the hops is quickly balanced by the malts. Also, where is the alcohol? Excellent job masking the alcohol taste. Oh man, I can already tell I'm going to be on the floor after this one.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right. Nice and dry finish. Perfect for sipping.

Drinkability: Normally I would give a lower rating here because of the high alcohol content. However, you don't need to drink very many of these to get the full La Fin Du Monde experience. I could easily see myself drinking one 750ml bottle for the whole night. Just sipping it slowly is enough to make you feel excellent.

Here's to hoping that the next 4 years are as awesome as this beer!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a very delicious golden straw color with a really good amount of head that leaves pretty quickly. I didn't notice any lacing at all. If you look closely, you can see a plethora of carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

The smell is very sweet and I notice some hops and malt already. I definitely noticed the pear like previous people have pointed out. I can't wait to drink this beer!

The taste was excellent. It was sweet but they also did a good job of mixing all different spices to give it a unique taste. They also do a very good job of hiding the alcohol. This can be a dangerous beer! The aftertaste was of hops, yeast and I could swear I noticed a doughy taste in there as well.

The carbonation in the drink is delightful and the first thing you notice. After that it's all about the smooth and creamy feeling. The beer almost has a dry numbing effect on the sides of my tongue. I kept wanting to sip one right after the other.

I've had this beer before but this was the first time I actually took the time to review and notice all its subtle properties. I could definitely see myself drinking this all day long, but with the 9%...I'll need to take my time with it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Cloudy gold, not much head.

Smell - malt and spice

Taste - Fruity, especially banana. The spice and malt also come through. Great first impression and it stays great to the end.

Mouthful - Creamy and full.

Overall - I'll be drinking more of these.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2015 (current year) version: 97pts
biscuits. banana. fruity. citrus. smooth. sweet. fruity.

last night, i opened a 2013 for comparison. off the charts amazing!
2013 (cellar'd) version: easily 100pts
apricots. malt-forward. citrus. fruity. so robust. full of flavor and character.

conclusion:
I encourage you to purchase a double portion, then drink half and cellar the rest (3 to 5 years). This (2015) beer is awesome. The cellar'd version is off the charts amazing. When you get ready to consume it, completely and gently invert the bottle prior to opening to get the yeast to mix throughout and then open and pour semi-aggressive to get a full-head. It will be a cloudy pour. By mixing up the elements in the beer, your palate will thank you!

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

canadian brewery making belguin beer. To me that's a little weird, however canada is putting out some really awesome beers. I could pay a few dollars more and get a truth belguin beer. This is still a great beer. This will be the first and the last i will buy this beer. Not bad. I am kind of impressed. It has no business being with all the rest of the belguin beers. If you want a true Belguin beer please make sure you are reading the bottle. Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A tall, corked and caged 75cl glass bottle with the Eye of Quebec figuring prominently on the label. The bottle comes with a clear `best by` date, though no indication when it was brewed. The packaging is clear and stately.

Just opening the bottle releases a host of deep, fruit scents. The beer pours as a thin, opaque liquid, about the colour of honey. There's moderate carbonation that, even in my head-friendly glass, quickly fades to a ring of white. It warms quickly, releasing a thick, spicy odour. The yeast is evident in the scent, as are mildy fruity notes, just barely rising into perception.

The beer is peppery and sweet, thin to medium bodied and not syrupy. I has a distinct carbonation when drank, something not apparent from the head, that lends it a moderate bite. The fruit notes get little play in the taste, remaining just off to the side as glance of pear, or whisper apple, it's difficult to tell which. Warmth improves the character of the beer, bringing out the sweetness to compliment the initial exclamation point of allspice.

At 9% ABV, a single person could drink all 75cl by ones self, but it's definitely best shared with a friend on a cold winter night. This is a very good tripel by the good brewers at Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 12 OZ bottle into chalice glass.

A- Pours a soft golden haze. Medium pour reveals almost no head.

S- Banana bread, oranges, sweet Belgian yeast, coriander, and white pepper. A background of darker fruits, maybe a hint of fig and plum? Sweet and spicy; well balanced and inviting.

T- Sweet, chewy Belgian yeast comes out front, followed by a variety of fruits... A very complex taste. I'm getting caramel apples and oranges, with suggestions of a darker fruit profile, like figs. There's a slight bitter fruit taste at the finish. All of the fruit flavors are contained well in a sweet malt envelope. Aftertaste is of spiced bread and nuts.

M- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation that gives it a bite. Finishes slightly dry.

O- A fantastic tripel, and an amazing beer all around. Also, a fair amount cheaper than an actual Belgian tripel import (about half as expensive at my local store). This one lives up to the hype and is extraordinarily good.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured into a pint glass, the beer has an appealing color somewhere between yellow and orange. It makes you think of the slightly citrusy flavor you will exoerience. Depending on how delicately and patiently you pour it, there can be a lot or virtually no head. I had about a centimeter of head that fizzled down to a thin layer that persisted throughout drinking.

S: One of my favorite aspects of this beer. Citrus and yeast with a slight malt scent and some spice. Very inviting.

T: Also awesome. Fruity and citrusy but with a spice (I assume this is actually from the 9% alcohol). Slight bitterness but not distracting from the overall flavor. Very satisfying and drinkable yet with a lot of flavor.

F: In my opinion this is the beer's weakest point. Still feels great, but some beers are certainly better. Almost creamy with a pleasant carbonation. The alcohol has a very slight kick, but much more disguised than you might expect in a 9% beer. Nice, but not quite perfect.

O: If you haven't tried this, you really have to. Very worth the positive ratings it receives. One of the best beers I've tried to date.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A very refreshing beer. Good carbonation. Bright yellow color. Would definitely recommend trying.
Wouldn't be a regular beer for me but definitely once in a while.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from a 750 ml champagne style bottle with an illustration of Quebec on the label. Freshness date printed on back.

Appearance: Golden body colour with a cider appearance. Fairly fizzy whitish head that subsides to a thin patchy lace that's maintained by the high carbonation.

Smell: Sweet fruity and slightly floral aroma with a character similar to a Hefeweizen. Also a faint caustic alcohol smell that is pretty well hidden.

Taste: Slightly sweet and fruity upfront. Some grainy and wheat flavours come through and finishes with some dry flowery hops that is amplified with a unique type of bitterness. Sharp alcohol bitterness that amplifies the hop flavours and makes this brew finish dry, as well as reminding you to take it slow and easy with this brew, lest you become legless before the night is over.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light for such a high alcohol brew. Very refreshing though, with a tingly high carbonation level that was reminiscent of champagne.

Notes: This goes down real easy for a high gravity brew. I shared this bottle with a friend and we finished it a lot faster than I expected and were kinda tipsy towards the end. Respect the brew as they say. Overall a good beer. Well balanced and tasty. Also I would suggest this as a good beer for the craft brew fan who is uninitiated into the world of Belgian style beers.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A. Cloudy, amber to light orange appearance with nice fluffy white head. Spotty lacing.

S. Belgian style nose all over this one - yeasty charcoal, toasted bread, mild citrus and clove. Very pleasant fragrance.

T. Similar taste profile to the nose - malts and mixed fruits upon entry and then some prickly hops and a lingering banana/yeastiness on the finish. Flavor stays with you for a while

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation - feels quite nice across my entire palate.

D. This is an easy to drink beer that is very enjoyable. Keeps you warm from the first sip. A wonderful sipper. My first Unibroue beer and one that I will buy again. Highly recommend.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz to glass

A- Very cloudy yellow, with an almost sludgy look to it. A bit darker than a Hefeweisen. One finger of white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Smells a bit like a hefeweisen, banana, peach, and a little sweet honey smell. A strong pineapple smell comes out over the yeast. Very fruity and "tropical", not what I expected.

T- Quite the bite to the toungue at first, then it mellows out to the flavors found in the smell. Pineapple and yeast most prevalent. Nice sweet malts, a little honey. This isn't really to my taste but beyond style I don't have many complaints. A well brewed and interesting beer.

M- Great body, great carbonation. Feels good.

D- Suprisingly good for the abv. Really not bad at all. I wish I had more to say about this beer!

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm noticing that metallic taste as well, but it's not too off putting when the rest of the beer is quite good. A lot of carbonation in it, pours fantastically with a small amount of head.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip, it formed a good head over the orange hued brew.

The aroma is a great mix of spices and fruit.

The taste is very dry, again a mix of spices and fruits. The flavors are well blended, such that it's hard to pick out specifics. The alcohol is a present, but welcome, giving the beer body and strength, without becoming too noticeable.

Overall, this is a good Tripel, but very dry. I would have liked a bit more sweetness to it. There's a very nice Belgian complexity to the beer, such that I rarely find in beers made outside of Belgium.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Again, for a non-Belgian beer, Unibroue seems to have the style down.
A nice golden yellow color, with white lacy head. The lace lingered on in patches down the glass throughout drinking. "On lees", but if poured slowly, it is crystal clear.
The smell was comprable to Cantillon Iris, with less grapefruit and more subtle hints of the Belgian yeast strains. Has the Unibroue nose that is found in almost all their beers. Compared to the Cantillon, it actually is a bit more pleasant to smell, as it is not overpowering on the first whiff.
Hints of coriander and orange cut through the crispness of the beer. A light tartness, but the malt/sugar content cuts smooths it out, creating a nice blend.
The motuhfeel can be a bit crisp or light, but not so much as to be distracting.
At 9%ABV, its still a very drinkable beer. It is not heavy, and I don't really ever feel like I'm filling up when having it.
A wonderful Tripel that holds up to any other of the style that I've had.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue!

1.84/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

First off let me tell you I am not fond of Belgian Tripels but I keep trying different ones to see if my taste changes.

Poured a decent pale orange with a 2 finger head and lots of bubbles.

It smelled like a fruit bowl thats been sitting around for a little too long. Eh my stomach said dont do it.

I took the first sip and there it was. The taste I despise so much. It was the rotten over fermented fruit I find in all these beers. So so so unpleasant.

Along with the taste it was super thin and over carbonated and just terrible.

I gave drinkability a 2 but only because I thought if Im drunk enough I could probably gag a few down for the high ABV but I dont get drunk to much and will probably never do this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am very glad that Golden Monkey was my first Belgian Tripel... even though its an American beer. Why? Because I feel that every time I buy a new Tripel to try, it just keeps getting better. No offense to Victory. Anyways, before trying this brew, I must say Brooklyn Local 1 was so far the best I have tried. The aroma of this beer is typical of this style. Nothing mind blowing or exciting. Smells, in my opinion, the same as every other beer of this style... yeast and fruit. I took nice sniff before I tried it to see if I could anticipate the taste. Well at first, I thought I was right. Right after I swallowed, I realized I was dead wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by the spicy clove after taste; something I have yet to experience in this type of beer. It has a very sweet and spicy flavor. Yeast is obviously present as well as alcohol as this is a 9% ABV brew. Because of the sweetness of this beer, I don't think its as drinkable as maybe the Brooklyn Local 1. I don't know what else to say about this really... It is an amazing Tripel for lack of better words. If you like this style, definitely try this one. Its not very expensive... I bought this a Trader Joe's in Brookline, MA for $6.49 and anyone from the area knows damn well that Boston is notorious for price gauging alcohol.
Enjoy!