La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,166 | Reviews: 2,857
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Nice golden amber and a big, white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Coriander up front with banana and sweet, maybe fruity, smells.

T: Along with the aroma there's coriander and bananas but also very wheaty. Almost grassy.

M: Very smooth considering the 9% ABV. Its almost watery but the texture and carbonation support the heavy flavors and alcohol quite well.

O: This is one of my favorites. It is very flavorful and yet balanced. Exactly what I look for in a trippel.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

After a long weekend of moving trucks and hauling boxes, some friends and I sat down at the Winking Lizard for beer and pizza.

A: La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/orange with a perfect untampered cloudiness. The head was soft and billowy with noticeable packets of air, hinting at the sparkle to come.

S: Amazing in the nose! Apricot, nectarine and a beautiful balance between sweet and spicy. Correctly present. The aroma wasn't too faint nor too dominant. I thought of trails and evergreens.

T: Smack your momma good. The head tickled my upper lip and the spicy citrus washed over my tongue. Being such a well-balanced flavor profile, my entire tongue was engaged.

M: Sparkling and alive, but not heavy. Most beers I have tasted that were this alive in the mouth were heavy in it as well. This beer was pristine, almost delicate without losing any presence.

D: I was not overpowered by the ABV and the beer left enough room for a second. Would enjoy again, in a heartbeat!

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into my favorite 285mL weiss glass.

A: Wow, this beer looks fantastic. Even on a very tentative pour I got a few inches of thick, poofy foam that settled down to a good inch or so. The beer underneath is a cloudy deep yellow to shiny gold. Little bubbles continuously creep up from the bottom of the glass. By the bottom of the glass there's only a very thin head with moderate lacing to 2/3 of the way up the glass.

S: I'm not getting a lot of smell from this one. But what I get is distinct citrus and floral. There's a little bit of grain back there for balance. But as I said, the smell isn't particularly powerful. It's pleasant and soothing, as opposed to overpowering.

T: A hit of sweetness at first, but not sugary. More like biting into a lightly sweet fruit, maybe a not-quite-ripe orange. Lots of complexity. Grains -- wheat? Light spice. A neat bitterness toward the end and on the finish. Very clean, somewhat crisp. No booze in the taste. Fairly distinctive lingering orange zest flavor. This beer is fantastic. It's perfectly balanced, it's inviting, it's neither beery or boozey. I think just about anyone could drink this and enjoy it.

M: Medium -- there's a big boost from how foamy this beer is. The carbonation is nice and moves the flavors around well. Notably for this 9% beer there's pretty much no astringent alcohol. Great!

D: Dangerous. Crisp, highly drinkable. Cool on a hot day. I'm having to force myself to slow down, because I know otherwise this 9% is going to catch up and kick my butt!

Poured 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass

A: Golden, cloudy, orange looking, 3 finger thick head that stuck around. Reminded me of Blue Moon's appearance

S: Hops, Nuts (walnut/hazelnut), strong citrus smell, once again reminding me of Blue Moon.

T: Hops hit first, sweet & nutty warm aftertaste. Definitely apples in there after a few sips. A very wheaty beer by all meaning.

M: Strong bite, but sits on the palate very well and is very warm

D: No way I could drink more than 2...

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into 16 ounce mug. With a careful pour, got a big head that occupied the remaining 4 oz worth of volume.

Appearance - light amber color with a very white head.

Smell - skipping for now

Taste - outstanding. sweet taste. Not bitter. Just delicious. This is going to become one of my favorites. I don't taste any of the 9% ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

The color is a golden-honey with white spongy-looking head that bubbles. It smells yeasty with a hint of cloves. It tastes spicy and it has an orange peel flavor. There is more carbonation than your standard beer, but it is very light and easy to swallow for a highly carbonated beer. Aftertaste leaves an alcohol flavor in your mouth. This beer is very good in my book. It goes down easy.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

750 ml brown bottle, 2005 vintage. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a very attractive hazy gold. A large, one and one-half inch head forms and quickly fizzes away, leaving a small but persistant ring around the side of the glass. Some lacing, but not a whole lot. The carbonation appears very fine, almost Champagne-like.

S: Yeast and very distinctive esters (especially the smell of pears and pineapples) dominate the nose, with some light floral hops pulling through towards the back.

T: Sweet malt, followed by delicious fruity esters and a pleasant, light minty hop bitterness. Dry finish, with warming alcohol, pepper-like spice, and some phenols. Really complex!

M & D: Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Very crisp, pleasant finish. The high alcohol content, although well disguised by the unique and complicated flavors of this beer, limits the drinkability quite a bit.

Exceptional. One of the finest Canadian craftbrews I've had. I recommend drinking it with a fine meal in place of wine. It's that good.

Edit: I recently picked up a bottle and some wild, barnyard-like flavors were present and became quite cloying. It may have just been a bad bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

I picked up a four pack of this stuff from Habanos in Slidell, LA. I don’t have a cellar, so I stuck two in the fridge to cool over night. I got one out today and set it on the counter for 30 minutes or so to let it warm just a little. I don’t have the proper glass to drink a Belgian Strong Pale Ale so I poured it into one of the big oversized red wine glasses.

Appearance: Pours like a dream. It comes out the color and cloudiness of a Hefeweizen. residual yeast from the bottle conditioning is evident. The one thing that really stands out is the head. Best foaming I’ve ever seen, bar none. Thick and tight, it’s almost dense like a nitro stout. In this glass it rose a good inch and half with the tiniest little bubbles. It didn’t stick around for the entire beer, but I drank it very slowly to savor it so I can’t fault that. It didn’t stick or lace however.

Taste and Smell: The aroma is great. Almost sweet in smell, and very fruity. The effervescent bubbles play like it’s recess all over my tongue. The taste is as complex as the aroma. Too many for me to identify, much less name. Lots of fruits, not very floral, no hop bitterness at all. Mostly spicy though. Balanced despite the lack of hops, maybe due to the crazy-assed yeasts overpowering the malt.

Notes: This one comes out at #2 on the ranking of the style, which is what convinced me to pay the $9.50 for the four pack. I haven’t tried many others of the style so I can’t speak to the validity of the rank, but I wouldn’t argue against it.

The beer is balanced so well with the fruity flavors that you barely taste the hops, and the alcohol not at all. I drank it at 12:30 on an empty stomach and I did feel that 9% alcohol a little toward the end, even as slow as I was sipping. Not a beer to guzzle.

Over all, I loved it. With tax I paid about $2.50 for each beer, not counting the gas and time to go get it. I pay more than that for beer at a pub. I’d easily pay five bucks or more for this beauty if the archaic MS laws would allow it. I can’t wait for the next one, but I’m cellaring the last two for a year or so.

Butch

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured out of a brown 12 oz. bottle with foil wrapped around the neck and cap. Label has a satellite view of eastern Canada. Beer drank from a white wine glass.

A- Eh. Not what I'd expect from a tripel. More golden color than a traditional trip. Pours to a 2 finger head but doesn't hold, and leaves no retention. The light color though does make for a very visible flow of carbonation, which is a slight bonus.

S- Nice array of yeast here. Slight notes of malted barley, and wildflowers as well.

T- Coriander, nutmeg, cloves, a hint of anise. Carbonation is perfect. Has a bit of a creamy aftertaste.

M- I'd ALMOST rather just let this beer sit in my mouth all night than actually swallow it. You can taste many characteristics of this beer on your tongue and lining of cheeks well after the swallow.

D- Very good belgian tripel. If not for the poor scores I gave for appearance, this is right up there with the best trips I've drank. Also worth noting is how suprised I am that this beer is a product of Canada. CANADA??? Impressive!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Cloudy gold/yellow, thick foamy head which lasted nicely with some good lacing

S - Oranges, pears, peaches, yeast and a little alcohol

T - Sweet and fruity up front, then cloves, a little bitterness, and leaves a fruity flavor on the tongue - oranges, pears just like the nose.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, warming from the alcohol. The taste is complex and offers a few different phases from the point where it hits your mouth to the point where the taste fades away. Excellent drinking experience!

D - You'd never know this was 9%. Very smooth and enjoyable.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

straw yellow with a nice white head.lots of carbonation.

smells great!like cloves, yeast, pepper.big tasting triplel!

tastes bright, bitter,malty, spicy. delicious.

warm finish, big mouthfeel.smooth and warm on the way down.

good drinkability.

great taste, and drinkability. awesome!

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

I've had this beer many, many times so this review is from memory (shared a 750 last night). I always serve chilled to well chilled, pours golden/ light orange with a billowy head that disappears within a few minutes. smell is fruity, spicy, slightly herbal. Taste has a wide range of flavors that seem to show out at different times, banana/ clove, sweet almost caramel malt flavors, some how dry and effervescent yet with a smooth creamy finish all at once. great for a toast, nice to sip (or guzzle) with food, just watch out for the 9% abv 'cause you cant tell it's there.

4.61/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

on tap in a chimay chalice.

A: hazy. deep yellow. a finger of pure froth. great lacing.

S: creamy. yeasty and spicy. banana. clove. VERY aromatic.

T: sweet, yeasty, fruity. banana. spicy. refreshing. phenols. bright flavor.

M: smoooth. substantial and sugary. viscous but not heavy. sticky.

O: one of the best tripels in existence. i've had it many times before and i hope to have it many times again. unibroue does the damn thang.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured ~50 degrees F into a weissen glass. Left about an inch in the bottom of the bottle, swirled it, then tipped in the lees.

A - the first one I poured had a perfect 2-3 finger head, the second one I poured looked like it was going to be OK, but then the head went crazy and towered over the glass by about an inch. It never spilled over though. The head was a light off white color, and very dense and frothy, like a freshly whipped meringue. The one that went crazy took a long time to settle down. The beer itself is a cloudy gold. I can barely discern what seems like a perfect amount of carbonation through the haze.

S - Not as much on the nose as I would like from a tripel, but I'm happy with what's there. A whiff of something fruity, like some vague citrus up front, but then I'm picking up mostly on baking spices. There's also a subtle hint of some barnyard tang and a quite noticeable dusty quality.

T - Drinks a bit like a kabinett riesling with notes of white grape and pear, the baking spice offered by the nose comes through. There's a little bit of bretty tang. The alcohol is well disguised.

M - Well integrated flavors, medium body, perfect amount of carbonation. Quick, dry finish. Quite like the mouthfeel on this one.

One of my favorite tripels. I'm drinking this one in lieu of champagne to celebrate a special occasion right now.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

Cloudy yellow color with a head that stays for a while, and leaves a lacing. Smells fruity, with some spice as well. The fruit seems like an apple smell. The taste is like the smell, some apple there, as well as a caramel flavor. This is well complemented by a sharp cheese. The mouthfeel is excellent, just the right amount of carbonation. Despite being 9% La Fin Du Monde is easy to drink, and I am usually not satisfied with only one. This is one of my favorite beers.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden yellow with a huge, hard to control pure white head - be careful on this pour. Head diminishes to 1/4 inch, where it resides until the bottom of the glass. Subtle lacing. Aromas of white grape, wine alcohol and freshly chopped wood shine through. Initial feel is intense carbonation - very fizzy and active on the tongue. First taste yields sharp grapefruit tartness with other miscellaneous fruity tones coming on strong. Sadly, this burst of flavor doesn't stick around long and abruptly gives way to an oaky and warm alcohol aftertaste. I found the flavor to be somewhat lacking in complexity compared to others I've had from Unibroue. The alcohol here is physically present (1/2 glass is enough to feel it) but hardly noticeable in the taste. This beer was good - I would have it again, but I was a bit let down by comparison.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

The clear light golden / dark straw hued brew is topped by a creamy, impressively thick head w/ stiff peaks of foam. Signature lace is left down the glass. Fruit esters comprised of tart lemon flesh and rind, coupled w/ cidery light candi / beet sugar sweetness and raw honey lend an enticing aroma to this brew. Phenolic clove and mustiness are subdued, but add complexity aromawise. Prickly carbonation and cidery sweetness sharply hit the palate upfront, but quickly yield to yeasty, unbaked dough notes and clove more prominent in flavor than the aroma would suggest. Well attenuated and fairly dry, but since hop bitterness is mild, the overall flavor is slightly skewed towards malt sweetness. Lightly bodied due to the sugar used in the grist w/ a crisp, yet smooth mouthfeel that lends deceptively agreeable drinkability. Finishes dry w/ honey sweetness, lightly peppery alcohol and clove abruptly ending simultaneously. Fin Du Monde epitomizes the style and is delicious... the drinkability is superlative considering its strength.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Amazing beer here. Poured a cloudy yellow orange into my snifter. A poorly cleaned and widemouthed snifter produces a small bigbubbled head that didn't stick around for long (all my fault, this beer's retention is probably magnificent). Still a great lookign beer even with just a small cap.
Smells delightful with mostly hints of spiciness, the distinctive belgian yeast, a citrus breeze, and a nice dose of alcohol (very complex though. Alcohol smell is not overpowering)
Tastes mainly of the aforementioned spiciness, with a lingering alcoholic note in the back end. Some breadiness is also detected. Just very balanced and pleasant.
Mouthfeel is perhaps a little to thin in my opinion. Quite carbonated (although my glass/pour made it seem less than it probably is), almost champagne like. somewhat dry.
Drinkability is exceptional. I drank the whole 750ml in a little over 2 hours, enjoyed every last drop. The alcoholic burn is not significant enough to be annoying, its mainly enticing with a nice warming in the stomach. Wasn't too buzzed after the bottle was done, but i imagine if you drank this quickly in like 45 minutes or something it'd creep up on you. It's 9% after all. For 7.50 for a 750ml corkedbottle of stuff this great you can't go wrong.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Presentation: Foil wrapped bottle poured into a tall glass. Decent smooth lasting head, and cloudy yellow appearence, just a bit darker than a pils.

Smell:Sweet smell that develops as it starts to warm, reminds me of unripe peaches.

Taste: Lots of flavour here, hops are upfront with a crisp green apple-like bite, but this comes with a matching sweetness keeping this beer well balenced. I like flavour in my beer but this beer maybe have a bit more than most standard beers people may be used to.

Mouthfeel: is smooth easy to drink but really a sipping beer for most people. A bit of alcohol warming, but not at all overwhelming definately considering the content.

Overall this is an excelent beer, and my second favourite from unibroue.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

"best by" date: 09-24-12

glassware: La Fin du Monde branded tulip

A - gentle pour yields hazy, deep gold body with huge, dense, white head, which dissipates fairly quickly into a thin, white halo and an opaque film with large islands of lace; really no carbonation to be seen

S - nose is strong with Belgian yeast and malt; intense floral scent shrouds citrus, sweet spices, and banana

T - up front with yeast and malt; citrus flavors such as grapefruit and orange peel understate; the finish is very dry with a notable hop bitterness and lingering, mellow notes of whole-grain toast

M - medium body with a crisp palate; effervescent and tingly, despite lack of noticeable carbonation; finishes dry with a glowing alcohol warmth

D- extremely drinkable; complex and strong, yet very inviting

I've had this beer numerous times now and I always feel like I could drink several bottles in a row, though the 9% abv might make that difficult. There's really almost nothing in this beer that could be improved upon, and at less than three dollars a bottle, it's an absolute steal. A true gem of the beer world.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured this from a 750 ml bottle into a La Fin Du Monde glass I got for free with the beer. Lovely golden hue with a two finger white head quickly dissipates with no lacing.

Raw sugar, yeast, tangerine and a hint of pineapple come through on the smell.

Taste-- Wow. Malts and yeast dominate in this complex flavor. Fruity tangerine, orange and pineapple take a back seat. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is creamy and even a bit oily with how smooth it is.

High drinkability. Another deceptively strong one from Unibroue. A delicious brew that goes down smooth with little trace of alcohol.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

A- A hazy golden yellow with a nice off white head. It slowly dissipates and leaves a nice sticky lacing. Also has very lively carbonation.

S- Can detect the sweet malts, phenols and the alcohol.

T- This is a complex beer. Starts out sweet with a strong citrus taste. Then comes the yeast, and it finishes dry with a hint of alcohol but not as much as you would expect from a 9% beer.

M- Very lively. The carbonation is present and you want to sit and savor it.

D- I nurse the bottle slowly. This isn't a beer you can drink quickly but should sip and savor. Surprisingly the alcohol isn't overwhelming but very subtle

3.69/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an unassuming hazy copper with a course foam that dissipates quickly to a light remnant leaving rings on the glass. Lots of sediment.
Smells like bread, grass, wheat beer, and sweet malt.
Tastes different from your average bmc, no doubt.Very malty, spicy, balanced if not lightly hopped. Smells and has a slight vanilla taste.
Chewy, smooth, bitey from the high alcohol.
9.0 alc. makes for low drinkability.
Very good, very strong.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

It is a cloudy yellowish beer with a lot of foamy white head. Smell was attractive but it did not hint at how good it really tasted. It was extremely drinkable for a beer at 9% ABV. You could barely even detect the alcohol. It has a crisp fruity taste where I picked up some citrus, maybe a hint of banana, and a great hops after taste that wasn't too overbearing.
This is defiantly a great beer that I could drink a bunch more of. It is also the first Tripel I have tried so I am excited to try more and see how they compare.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Holy Cow... Go Quebec! This is a wonderful beer. Fruity nose, but with no cloying, too-sweet flavors. You get the pears and tropical fruit, but when coupled with gentle hopping the flavor profile mellows into a balanced, pleasant drinkability. The hazy appearance is lovely and golden. This is a great late summer beer. I will certainly get it again!

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue