2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,105 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
carolinared

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow - what a good beer! Nice pour with good head, hazy in glass. Great aroma and great taste - impressed by how bold and complex both smell and taste were, but also extremely well balanced between all the fruity, spicy, malt, yeast elements. Only a hint of alcholol in the finish, but not a negative. Not heavy at all.

Overall, seems to me this was a "power beer" that one would enjoy sip by sip, but then, feel like drinking one or two more because it tasted so good and was not overtly strong or cloying (but, even one at 9% demands respect)

Now on my favorites list and will certainly buy again.

06-01-2013 14:19:11 | More by carolinared
1stOffender

British Columbia (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I'm always cautious to rate beer too high because I don't always trust myself. With the number of different types of beer and personal taste preference it'll take way more practice to truly identify the best of each bunch. Besides, what lies between "outstanding" and "perfect"? Regardless, this beer was incredibly good. I'm realitively new to the Tripel and got LFDM because of the high ratings on BA. That said, the flavours of this beer were very distinct, well balanced and downright tasty. There were so many different taste regions affected on my palate that I had a very tough time identifying the medley of flavours. The malts were not in anyway overpowering as one might think of a Tripel and a 22oz. bomber at 9% disappeared rather quickly. I'd venture to say that this is one beer deserves a place on every beer rack and should be brought our to impress the advocates in your circle.

07-07-2013 04:43:03 | More by 1stOffender
mporter249

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Beautiful golden color with orange-red hues. Nice tall, persistent head. Looks delicious.

Smell: Smells a little dank, sweet, maybe a little grassy. Not incredible, but it's pleasant.

Taste: Tastes very smooth and almost neutral at first, then sweet, then bready? Very smooth throughout, well-balanced and delicious. I think I'm missing something, though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pretty light, full, pretty perfectly carbonated.

Overall: Pretty good, I definitely enjoy it. But I think I'm missing a bit of the "wow" factor.

07-13-2013 01:49:36 | More by mporter249
neil

Maine

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done.

05-07-2004 02:31:54 | More by neil
dieselboy914

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

I tried this beer based on the reviews here and went into my local pub with skepticism... because I'm not a real fan of anything Canadian... no I'm not a stereotyping hypocrite, just bad luck i guess...

The bottle looks great, full of color and character, making it very appealing to the eye, but that's just the beginning. As I poured it into the glass, my heart started racing, my hand sweating. Did i see a hot chick walk across the floor? No, this beer really looks that good.
The golden orange color is bold, the head a heavenly white and very thick. I unfortunately couldn't smell much since nose was a little clogged, but if anything I did smell some wheat.
Taste is overwhelmingly refreshing. It is bold, revitalizing, and quite a treat. It truly is the best of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales. At first, the orange-like citrus flavors emerge, bombarding the palette with rich and lucious textures, with slight undertones of wheat and bread, especially in the aftertaste.
There is no overstating the strong and pronounced taste of this beer. Duvel is very subdued in comparison.
I could not feel any alcohol in this beer, as I did in others the same night, and no... my senses were not dulled by then.

All in all, a very enjoyable and exquisite beer. Truly one that I would like to have over and over, especially after meals...
Kudos to Canada!!!

04-10-2006 21:51:15 | More by dieselboy914
westsidemiller

Washington

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow, I loved this beer. Drinking it reminded me of Christmas. You can definitely taste the coriander, which really gives it a spicy almost nutmeg on eggnog flavor. Wonderful smell and beautiful color. I really loved this beer and plan on having much more of it in the future.

09-15-2008 05:05:54 | More by westsidemiller
tuo

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle to a tulip

A: Poured a nice cloudy golden color with a bright white 2 finger head that didn't go away.

S: Nice spices and a very present yeast esters with a little bit of a citrus smell.

T: Just like the aroma of the beer it starts with the spice notes up front and moves into the citrus area then a touch of hops. Again with the yeast esters you get all those nice complex fruit flavors.

MF/D: On the lighter side with very high carbonation and a very low alcohol flavor if any at all. No heat from the alcohol either. Very nice tripel but with the high carbonation I could only drink a few.

11-07-2008 16:48:32 | More by tuo
BierBrawlinator

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a 3 finger head with nice lacing and a head that covered the brew until the end. The color was a mildly cloudy straw gold with active beading. I was able to swirl up a nice froth at any given time.

Smell has some vanilla, clove spiciness, with mild yeasty funk and bubble gum with some fruity esters. The hops are low-key and balance this baby out beautifully.

Taste is incredible. Smooth and creamy with an abundance of flavors. Well blended fruity esters with mild hop character. It tastes like a wit on steroids, with some tripel characteristics. The alcohol seems non-existent until you polish off a bottle. The flavor coats the palate, begging for more.

Savor this one and drink it leisurely or just buy another and start a session. That 9% ABV creeps up on you because this is one sweet brew and I could definitely drink these all day! Without a doubt, this is a world class beer.

12-21-2008 22:29:42 | More by BierBrawlinator
Genry

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Enjoyed Maudite and Unibroue's blonde, but this takes the cake.

Poured a steady thick head, with lots of bubbling and yeast rising. Appearance is wonderful, thick and creamy orange that tapers off at the bottom, and the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smells of sharp, crisp citrus.

Taste is pleasing, spicy and comes with the same citrus scented except stronger -- now accompanied by honey and fruit. There is a hint of raspberry, and the high alcohol content is also present, but not overpowering as in some strong brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, no cling to it, with lots of hops and roll on the tongue.

Quite easily drinkable, and repeatively so, though be wary -- 9% can creep up on you, especially when contained in such a well-layered beer. A brew to sip, not chug.

05-07-2009 22:59:09 | More by Genry
petitearvine

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into tulip glass

Appearance - Bright yellow/orange, a bit hazy and with large thick white head. Lots of nice lacing.

Smell - Lots of citrus, some apples, bananas and spice.

Taste - Lots of sweetness, quite citrusy, with orange and lemon coming through quite strongly. "Belgian" yeast is quite present as well. The aftermouth is again quite sweet.

Mouthfeel - Quite creamy with strong carbonation.

Overall - Not a bad triple, but overall much too sweet for my taste. I don't think I could have two in a row.

07-25-2009 13:40:52 | More by petitearvine
sgaloob

Alaska

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Served "refrigerator cold".

Appearance is indistinguishable from rays of sunlight marking the end of a hurricane.

Has a flowery character. Very hoppy, but not in an overpowering sense. This is likely due to the high ABV.

Likely my favorite beer.

08-30-2010 01:24:24 | More by sgaloob
JxDuff

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750ml into a Spiegelau Snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a nice, full white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruity! I smell lemons, apples and other citrusy smells. Traces of some spices and malts.

T: Absolutely delicious! One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Fruity notes all the way down rounded up by the yeast. Complex.

M: Very clean and crisp with the perfect carbonation to compliment. You will wan't to drink it fast and keep drinking it! Don't forget to enjoy it though!

D: See mouthfeel. What can I say? This beer is perfect.

01-11-2011 15:30:04 | More by JxDuff
Kubus

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours straw yellow, cloudy, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Very pretty beer that comes in a very fancy bottle.

S: A sort of wheaty/fruity smell, pleasant at first, but quickly becomes somewhat unpleasant. A hint of something fermented.

T: Fermented Wheat. Sweet finish. Definitely an acquired taste, my first bottle was about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. Tried again a week later, not unpleasant, but not something I enjoyed. Tried it again today, was rather enjoyable. This beer seriously benefits from multiple tastings.

M: Very thin, and watery at first, but becomes almost jelly-like when it warms up in your mouth. One of the oddest feelings I've ever had with a beer.

D: This was my first and last six pack of La Fin du Monde, although I eventually came to appreciate its flavour, I just couldn't get into this beer. If you enjoy beers like Blanche de Chambly or Hacker-Pschorr, I think you would find this beer rather agreeable, but if you enjoy darker brews with smoother tastes I'd keep clear.

01-16-2011 03:22:28 | More by Kubus
joelshults

Alabama

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have.

01-28-2011 22:49:39 | More by joelshults
timherremans

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Opaque light golden color. White bubbly head, dissipated pretty quick but with light lacing. Poured into a goblet.

S - Yeast is prominent, and I can make out some tropical fruit like banana.

T - Taste is nice. Kind of hard to nail down. Unique yeasts, that are up front, Belgian style ale. The sweetness comes right after the yeast, tropical fruit like banana. Pretty well balanced. I can't really describe it but it is good. Sweetness is subtle..the finish is not overly sweet. I find it getting better and better. Alcohol is masked very well, it is not dry.

M - Not thin, bubbly. Good carbonation but not overly so. Very nice feel.

03-21-2011 01:18:29 | More by timherremans
thisismyname

British Columbia (Canada)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this.

12-04-2011 01:12:09 | More by thisismyname
ElCaholicRacer

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be my first review here, so I hope I don't screw it up.
I have seen this beer on the shelf at my local grocery store for sometime now. Judging by the strange name and label, I dismissed it in the past. It had a price of $7.50 for the 750ml bottle. I was in the mood for something different with a high ABV(had a bad day). I held it up to the light and to my surprise I saw a nice cloudy haze with a decent amount of sediment on the bottom. Poured it into my trusty DFH pint glass. The color was a bright orange-yellow with a one finger head. It aroma was glorious, with citrus, clove, and the obvious high ABV. The first sip was a revelation. I am a BIG hefeweisen fan, and this tripple was a close cousin. The high ABV was overshadowed by the fruit and yeast notes. This might be my new favorite brew, and that is saying alot. It turned my bad day around 180 degrees. Prost!

01-05-2012 15:57:17 | More by ElCaholicRacer
BigTuna

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light with a creamy topper that settles down nicely. This beer puts off a spicy aroma that knocked me off track at first, but I got used to it. My notes say "almost gross, but not quite." It's weird. However, the taste more than makes up for the smell of this little wonder. Tastes like a million spices mixed beautifully in one bottle, along with hints of acidic fruits (orange, lemon, etc.) and banana bread. It's difficult to articulate the taste. Carbonation level is relatively high, but it gives the beer a soothing drinkability.

Overall: an excellent, excellent beer. I was skeptical after my first sniff, but it still blew my socks off.

08-30-2012 19:45:45 | More by BigTuna
DrDaves49

Oregon

Sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle. If nothing else the clove aroma and taste is something that is totally a turn off to me. I did try to finish the bottle by holding my nose, still had a strong after taste of clove. I must be the only one out of 25k reviews that couldn't drink it. I can't handle "Any" clove no matter what it's used in.

Good for all that like this beer! Was not in my realm of drinkability .

I still have a bomber left.

06-20-2013 06:50:58 | More by DrDaves49
OhioBulldog

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

08-27-2004 00:17:26 | More by OhioBulldog
dough

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

10-12-2006 01:24:56 | More by dough
RussK

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Golden rich hue, good head (near two finger), some lacing through the drink.

S - that great level of complexity is reached with this one...what you would expect from a Trippel yet more pronounced than average, some fruit, white wine type notes, pleasant alcohol type notes, yet also strong profile with a much welcomed and tempered Belgium bitterness.

T - great, thick, full flavored taste...accentuates all that was mentioned concerning the aroma.

M - rich smooth and thick yet still very bubbly, near perfect for carrying the complexity...not to light/swift as to miss anything, nor to syrupy/slow to have any one flavor component linger in a lack of balance.

D - Impressive. The actual, true champagne of beers, at least craft beers. High ABV suggests to enjoy slowly. But it's so good that's actually a little tough to do.

One of the rare ones for me which rivals any food pairing at all.
Can be enjoyed strait up alone...or with anything you wish to cut with the dryness of a Tripel. To be savored, sipped. Highly recommended if you want to see what a great Tripel is all about.

04-07-2010 15:50:25 | More by RussK
EbPhrygian

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I had first tried La Fin Du Monde some months ago with a lovely pasta dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The following is an official review. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter (really need to acquire a proper tulip glass...)

Appearance: A beautiful light amber hue that gradates slightly at the edges (can't really see through it in the middle of the glass). Leaves a sizable just-off-white head and appears wonderfully effervescent. The head isn't terribly thick or pillowy, and doesn't stick around for all that long, but can easily be rejuvenated with a gentle swirling of the glass. The bubbles will just not go away, either. Here's a funny/interesting observation: this beer SOUNDS appealing, by which I mean the process of pouring and of swirling the beer produces a crackling sound similar to that of Rice Krispies when doused with milk.

Smell: Banana notes and a peppery spiciness, which have been mentioned by other reviewers, are certainly there, too. After tasting, it becomes clear that not all the complexities of the beer are present in the aroma.

Taste: Yeasty, biscuity, and sweet. Hop bitterness and malt character are subdued.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation mixed with sweet smoothness give this brew a high rating.

Drinkability: Could not be higher, really. This is a strong beer but does not taste that way. Still, this is not for chugging.

Notes: My first tripel was Victory's Golden Monkey, which I won't ever be buying again. This is because the combination of Unibroue's availability, price, and sheer quality (a reflection of exceptional craftsmanship) cannot be overstated, and are simply unbeatable. Though I know there are probably superior Belgian Tripels out there, I also know I won't be able to help measuring other examples against this outstanding specimen.

04-19-2010 21:37:01 | More by EbPhrygian
Eastman2009

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable.

06-19-2010 22:35:11 | More by Eastman2009
RealityGrill

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Massive head and you can see tendrils of carbonation when held up to the light

S: CLOVE, sweet banana, and slight alcohol

T: Fruity and spicy, followed by significant alcohol burn which seems to fit with the taste and exits through the nose (not unpleasant)

M: Very effervescent and hard to 'grip'; I feel that this interferes with proper tasting

D: I could drink these all night

The bottle and style are appealing.

07-14-2010 06:22:19 | More by RealityGrill