2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,104 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
sgaloob

Alaska

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Served "refrigerator cold".

Appearance is indistinguishable from rays of sunlight marking the end of a hurricane.

Has a flowery character. Very hoppy, but not in an overpowering sense. This is likely due to the high ABV.

Likely my favorite beer.

08-30-2010 01:24:24 | More by sgaloob
JxDuff

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750ml into a Spiegelau Snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a nice, full white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruity! I smell lemons, apples and other citrusy smells. Traces of some spices and malts.

T: Absolutely delicious! One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Fruity notes all the way down rounded up by the yeast. Complex.

M: Very clean and crisp with the perfect carbonation to compliment. You will wan't to drink it fast and keep drinking it! Don't forget to enjoy it though!

D: See mouthfeel. What can I say? This beer is perfect.

01-11-2011 15:30:04 | More by JxDuff
Kubus

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours straw yellow, cloudy, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Very pretty beer that comes in a very fancy bottle.

S: A sort of wheaty/fruity smell, pleasant at first, but quickly becomes somewhat unpleasant. A hint of something fermented.

T: Fermented Wheat. Sweet finish. Definitely an acquired taste, my first bottle was about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. Tried again a week later, not unpleasant, but not something I enjoyed. Tried it again today, was rather enjoyable. This beer seriously benefits from multiple tastings.

M: Very thin, and watery at first, but becomes almost jelly-like when it warms up in your mouth. One of the oddest feelings I've ever had with a beer.

D: This was my first and last six pack of La Fin du Monde, although I eventually came to appreciate its flavour, I just couldn't get into this beer. If you enjoy beers like Blanche de Chambly or Hacker-Pschorr, I think you would find this beer rather agreeable, but if you enjoy darker brews with smoother tastes I'd keep clear.

01-16-2011 03:22:28 | More by Kubus
joelshults

Alabama

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have.

01-28-2011 22:49:39 | More by joelshults
timherremans

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Opaque light golden color. White bubbly head, dissipated pretty quick but with light lacing. Poured into a goblet.

S - Yeast is prominent, and I can make out some tropical fruit like banana.

T - Taste is nice. Kind of hard to nail down. Unique yeasts, that are up front, Belgian style ale. The sweetness comes right after the yeast, tropical fruit like banana. Pretty well balanced. I can't really describe it but it is good. Sweetness is subtle..the finish is not overly sweet. I find it getting better and better. Alcohol is masked very well, it is not dry.

M - Not thin, bubbly. Good carbonation but not overly so. Very nice feel.

03-21-2011 01:18:29 | More by timherremans
thisismyname

British Columbia (Canada)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this.

12-04-2011 01:12:09 | More by thisismyname
ElCaholicRacer

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be my first review here, so I hope I don't screw it up.
I have seen this beer on the shelf at my local grocery store for sometime now. Judging by the strange name and label, I dismissed it in the past. It had a price of $7.50 for the 750ml bottle. I was in the mood for something different with a high ABV(had a bad day). I held it up to the light and to my surprise I saw a nice cloudy haze with a decent amount of sediment on the bottom. Poured it into my trusty DFH pint glass. The color was a bright orange-yellow with a one finger head. It aroma was glorious, with citrus, clove, and the obvious high ABV. The first sip was a revelation. I am a BIG hefeweisen fan, and this tripple was a close cousin. The high ABV was overshadowed by the fruit and yeast notes. This might be my new favorite brew, and that is saying alot. It turned my bad day around 180 degrees. Prost!

01-05-2012 15:57:17 | More by ElCaholicRacer
BigTuna

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light with a creamy topper that settles down nicely. This beer puts off a spicy aroma that knocked me off track at first, but I got used to it. My notes say "almost gross, but not quite." It's weird. However, the taste more than makes up for the smell of this little wonder. Tastes like a million spices mixed beautifully in one bottle, along with hints of acidic fruits (orange, lemon, etc.) and banana bread. It's difficult to articulate the taste. Carbonation level is relatively high, but it gives the beer a soothing drinkability.

Overall: an excellent, excellent beer. I was skeptical after my first sniff, but it still blew my socks off.

08-30-2012 19:45:45 | More by BigTuna
DrDaves49

Oregon

Sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle. If nothing else the clove aroma and taste is something that is totally a turn off to me. I did try to finish the bottle by holding my nose, still had a strong after taste of clove. I must be the only one out of 25k reviews that couldn't drink it. I can't handle "Any" clove no matter what it's used in.

Good for all that like this beer! Was not in my realm of drinkability .

I still have a bomber left.

06-20-2013 06:50:58 | More by DrDaves49
OhioBulldog

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

08-27-2004 00:17:26 | More by OhioBulldog
dough

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

10-12-2006 01:24:56 | More by dough
RussK

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Golden rich hue, good head (near two finger), some lacing through the drink.

S - that great level of complexity is reached with this one...what you would expect from a Trippel yet more pronounced than average, some fruit, white wine type notes, pleasant alcohol type notes, yet also strong profile with a much welcomed and tempered Belgium bitterness.

T - great, thick, full flavored taste...accentuates all that was mentioned concerning the aroma.

M - rich smooth and thick yet still very bubbly, near perfect for carrying the complexity...not to light/swift as to miss anything, nor to syrupy/slow to have any one flavor component linger in a lack of balance.

D - Impressive. The actual, true champagne of beers, at least craft beers. High ABV suggests to enjoy slowly. But it's so good that's actually a little tough to do.

One of the rare ones for me which rivals any food pairing at all.
Can be enjoyed strait up alone...or with anything you wish to cut with the dryness of a Tripel. To be savored, sipped. Highly recommended if you want to see what a great Tripel is all about.

04-07-2010 15:50:25 | More by RussK
EbPhrygian

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I had first tried La Fin Du Monde some months ago with a lovely pasta dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The following is an official review. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter (really need to acquire a proper tulip glass...)

Appearance: A beautiful light amber hue that gradates slightly at the edges (can't really see through it in the middle of the glass). Leaves a sizable just-off-white head and appears wonderfully effervescent. The head isn't terribly thick or pillowy, and doesn't stick around for all that long, but can easily be rejuvenated with a gentle swirling of the glass. The bubbles will just not go away, either. Here's a funny/interesting observation: this beer SOUNDS appealing, by which I mean the process of pouring and of swirling the beer produces a crackling sound similar to that of Rice Krispies when doused with milk.

Smell: Banana notes and a peppery spiciness, which have been mentioned by other reviewers, are certainly there, too. After tasting, it becomes clear that not all the complexities of the beer are present in the aroma.

Taste: Yeasty, biscuity, and sweet. Hop bitterness and malt character are subdued.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation mixed with sweet smoothness give this brew a high rating.

Drinkability: Could not be higher, really. This is a strong beer but does not taste that way. Still, this is not for chugging.

Notes: My first tripel was Victory's Golden Monkey, which I won't ever be buying again. This is because the combination of Unibroue's availability, price, and sheer quality (a reflection of exceptional craftsmanship) cannot be overstated, and are simply unbeatable. Though I know there are probably superior Belgian Tripels out there, I also know I won't be able to help measuring other examples against this outstanding specimen.

04-19-2010 21:37:01 | More by EbPhrygian
Eastman2009

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable.

06-19-2010 22:35:11 | More by Eastman2009
RealityGrill

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Massive head and you can see tendrils of carbonation when held up to the light

S: CLOVE, sweet banana, and slight alcohol

T: Fruity and spicy, followed by significant alcohol burn which seems to fit with the taste and exits through the nose (not unpleasant)

M: Very effervescent and hard to 'grip'; I feel that this interferes with proper tasting

D: I could drink these all night

The bottle and style are appealing.

07-14-2010 06:22:19 | More by RealityGrill
clarkkr

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

750 ml corked bottle -> tulip glass

Pours a beautiful paler-golden color in the glass and is exceptionally cloudy. It glows in the glass. Tons of beautiful creamy white head with only a modest amount of lacing on the glass. It's very fragrant and smells sweet with some fruitiness (peach? apricot?) and spice in the scent. Drinking it makes you feel warm. You get a lot of the spices (cloves?) along with a deliciously sweet maltiness. The fruit still plays a big part in the taste, and the warmth comes from the alcohol content which is definitely more present as you swallow the beer. The beer is super creamy in your mouth. I really enjoyed this beer experience.

04-01-2011 14:17:04 | More by clarkkr
CBrotherton

Kansas

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A 12-ish oz. pour from a 750 ml bottle to chilled glass. Not a tulip glass as suggested by the bottler.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy with many bubbles that slowly rise to the head. The head itself was about 2" in height and is now approx. 1/8" in height after resting for a couple minutes.

Smell: Had to close my eyes and get very close to find a smell (so close I got the tip of my nose in the beer). The best description I have at the moment is a subtle, bright yeasty smell. I've never smelled any beer quite like it to date.

Taste: I can taste the yeast more so than I can smell it. Bright. Distinctive acidic, citrus, almost lemon taste to it without the sourness of a lemon. Part of me wants to say lemongrass but I'm not 100% sure that applies. Overall, a memorable first taste that is vaguely reminiscent of Boulevard Wheat that quickly changes to something else entirely (still figuring that out). Bubbly at first and with a quick springy, flowery finish. Was looking for a longer finish or stronger opening with this beer.

Mouthfeel: It hits the sides of my tongue towards the back of my mouth. Drinking this makes my mouth want to leap a bit after each sip.

Overall: A great sipping beer. High ABV that hides a bit behind the yeast and bubbles upon pouring. It's still easy to notice its high ABV however. Not out of the park on taste; i was hoping for a more bold flavor that would be worthy of the label "The End of the World". It would be ideal for serving at a small gathering where conversation is intelligent, or (as many have done so far) toasting beer at End of the World celebrations.

This is my first review of a beer. I am supremely overjoyed that, having survived the new year, I can go on to review other beers.

Purchased 4-750 mL bottles at $6.99 about a week before Christmas 2012.

12-23-2012 22:13:13 | More by CBrotherton
mfanch8578

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

So, there seems to be a love hate kind of thing with this beer, so I will be as frank as I can. The past reviews seem to be between 3 and 5. I give it a 4.25. This brew was on sale at kroger at 7.99, so I got one to drink and one to age. The one I drank opened with apricot and yeast. The fruitiness covers the 9 abv, but can still taste the booziness. This is one to age, in my opinion. For the here and now, it just doesn't seem ready to drink right off the shelf. not ready yet. Just tastes like a young barleywine, sorta. Of course, I will finish this bottle, but I look forward to tasting the one that I will age for at least one year.

05-16-2013 03:55:18 | More by mfanch8578
RyFikes

3.71/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Take this review with a grain of salt. I've enjoyed many Belgium style beers, but after this one it's pretty clear that I do not like the Tripel style.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but La Fin Du Monde is dominated by the flavor of the yeast (eludes to this on the bottle). It is literally all I could taste with the exception of some citrus notes. It was like drinking a biscuit, and it sat really heavy in my stomach after. The bottle said it was brewed with spices, but those took such a backseat to the yeast that I could not pick up what spices they were.

All that being said I tried to review this beer with the style in mind, even if I don't dig it.

05-17-2013 14:36:30 | More by RyFikes
JohnBender

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Translucent yellow with orange hues. Beautiful.

S: Bready sweetness with slight fruits

T: More of the same, literally. An exponentially sweet and bready taste. Amazing.

M: Gives every other tripel a run for its money. A shining star.

O: Perhaps my favorite beer brewed. A perfect balance of every criteria.

07-16-2013 00:07:08 | More by JohnBender
ttfreek

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

I picked up this beer not knowing what to expect. It pored light, slightly pale and translucent, with a soft head. Smells slightly of yeast, very fruity...apricots, lemons, citrus, some other underlying tones. Flavor is very fruity and light, with a slight bite. It feels light and carbonated in your mouth, but leaves a slighty dry and lingering aftertaste of the fruits and yeasts.

Normally, i do not like these kinds of beers. It is very drinkable but is also very light, and too fruity for my tastes.

However, it was able to retain my attention and i did enjoy it. The 9% alcohol/volumne also helps alot ;)

A good beer, but I am not sure i would try it again. Fruity beers just dont do it for me, but its the best one i have had so far.

02-07-2007 01:54:57 | More by ttfreek
BEERANDNOW

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

I was referred to this beer by a good friend who said it was right up my alley, which is most deffinately was. La Fin Du Monde deffinately has aromas and flavors I haven't tasted in most beers. I'm not the most educated beer advocate although this beer is a must try as well as other Unibroue beers.

09-23-2008 02:43:50 | More by BEERANDNOW
spanky167

4.58/5  rDev +6%

By far the best value I have found in a tripel, around $7.00 for 750ml. This beer has huge flavor, which is good if you like the style. Carbonation is up there and poured a rocky head. Of the beers in this stlye that I have tried it is second only to Chimay's tripel.

01-30-2009 20:37:34 | More by spanky167
a061183

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me.

04-11-2009 10:18:02 | More by a061183
robertjohnson

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden yellow with a thick foamy head.

Smell I get ripe sugary fruits and peppery phenols.

Honey dew and green grapes, slight carbonic bite and white pepper phenols with some medicinal and clove flavors. I get a very soft caramel graininess that lingers on after everything else.

The carbonation is high enough to lend a bite that really keeps the palate clean between sips.

09-03-2009 03:53:43 | More by robertjohnson