La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,473
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Presentation: Foil wrapped bottle poured into a tall glass. Decent smooth lasting head, and cloudy yellow appearence, just a bit darker than a pils.

Smell:Sweet smell that develops as it starts to warm, reminds me of unripe peaches.

Taste: Lots of flavour here, hops are upfront with a crisp green apple-like bite, but this comes with a matching sweetness keeping this beer well balenced. I like flavour in my beer but this beer maybe have a bit more than most standard beers people may be used to.

Mouthfeel: is smooth easy to drink but really a sipping beer for most people. A bit of alcohol warming, but not at all overwhelming definately considering the content.

Overall this is an excelent beer, and my second favourite from unibroue.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

"best by" date: 09-24-12

glassware: La Fin du Monde branded tulip

A - gentle pour yields hazy, deep gold body with huge, dense, white head, which dissipates fairly quickly into a thin, white halo and an opaque film with large islands of lace; really no carbonation to be seen

S - nose is strong with Belgian yeast and malt; intense floral scent shrouds citrus, sweet spices, and banana

T - up front with yeast and malt; citrus flavors such as grapefruit and orange peel understate; the finish is very dry with a notable hop bitterness and lingering, mellow notes of whole-grain toast

M - medium body with a crisp palate; effervescent and tingly, despite lack of noticeable carbonation; finishes dry with a glowing alcohol warmth

D- extremely drinkable; complex and strong, yet very inviting

I've had this beer numerous times now and I always feel like I could drink several bottles in a row, though the 9% abv might make that difficult. There's really almost nothing in this beer that could be improved upon, and at less than three dollars a bottle, it's an absolute steal. A true gem of the beer world.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured this from a 750 ml bottle into a La Fin Du Monde glass I got for free with the beer. Lovely golden hue with a two finger white head quickly dissipates with no lacing.

Raw sugar, yeast, tangerine and a hint of pineapple come through on the smell.

Taste-- Wow. Malts and yeast dominate in this complex flavor. Fruity tangerine, orange and pineapple take a back seat. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is creamy and even a bit oily with how smooth it is.

High drinkability. Another deceptively strong one from Unibroue. A delicious brew that goes down smooth with little trace of alcohol.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A- A hazy golden yellow with a nice off white head. It slowly dissipates and leaves a nice sticky lacing. Also has very lively carbonation.

S- Can detect the sweet malts, phenols and the alcohol.

T- This is a complex beer. Starts out sweet with a strong citrus taste. Then comes the yeast, and it finishes dry with a hint of alcohol but not as much as you would expect from a 9% beer.

M- Very lively. The carbonation is present and you want to sit and savor it.

D- I nurse the bottle slowly. This isn't a beer you can drink quickly but should sip and savor. Surprisingly the alcohol isn't overwhelming but very subtle

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours an unassuming hazy copper with a course foam that dissipates quickly to a light remnant leaving rings on the glass. Lots of sediment.
Smells like bread, grass, wheat beer, and sweet malt.
Tastes different from your average bmc, no doubt.Very malty, spicy, balanced if not lightly hopped. Smells and has a slight vanilla taste.
Chewy, smooth, bitey from the high alcohol.
9.0 alc. makes for low drinkability.
Very good, very strong.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

It is a cloudy yellowish beer with a lot of foamy white head. Smell was attractive but it did not hint at how good it really tasted. It was extremely drinkable for a beer at 9% ABV. You could barely even detect the alcohol. It has a crisp fruity taste where I picked up some citrus, maybe a hint of banana, and a great hops after taste that wasn't too overbearing.
This is defiantly a great beer that I could drink a bunch more of. It is also the first Tripel I have tried so I am excited to try more and see how they compare.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Holy Cow... Go Quebec! This is a wonderful beer. Fruity nose, but with no cloying, too-sweet flavors. You get the pears and tropical fruit, but when coupled with gentle hopping the flavor profile mellows into a balanced, pleasant drinkability. The hazy appearance is lovely and golden. This is a great late summer beer. I will certainly get it again!

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Nice golden haze color with a two finger head that subsided slowly. Lots of carbonation rising in the glass.

S: I get a lot of fruit in the nose (cider/apples) mostly.

T: Similar to the smell, but a more prominent alcohol taste but still fruity and very tasty.

M: Very smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

D: Very Drinkable for a 9% ABV

Overall a great beer. No surprise from Unibroue.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle - hazy dark golden with crisp, thick off white head - dissipated quickly without lacing.

S - Spicy cloves and esters with a faint hint of alcohol. Bananas and sweet fruit - strawberries? Biscuit / bread aromas mingling throughout.

T - sweet, light yet deep malt flavors with the same spicy / clove flavors mixing throughout. Sweet fruit (strawberries again) fading as beer warms.

M - crispy and medium to full bodied - smooth and somewhat viscous

D - VERY easy to drink - the alcohol is well hidden. Nicely balanced and an excellent representation of the style.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

six pack of bottles
Poured into a snifter like glass

First of all I love Unibroue's unique style and choice of advertising and bottles.

With that being said this beer is a very drinkable beer and it will no doubt sneak up on you with its hidden 9% ABV.

This beer poured a nice hazy gold almost rose gold. Medium fizzy head that dissipated and left a ring of creamy white around the edge of the glass.

Smell was not anything crazy or bold. Deffinately a smell of fruits and malt. There is one other sent that hides in the background that I cannot quite identify...

Taste is remarkably unique. A definate taste of fruits and slight slight taste of some unidentified spice. Also that hidden smell can be tasted. Maybe its the spices but there is something that I just can't quite put my finger on.

Sits thickly on the tounge and goes down a nice creamy smoth texture.

This beer reminds me of the time that I went to Montreal. Granted I was a little under the weather and not with it the entire time, I had a great beer called, I think it was called, Boreale. If I recall correctly these beers are very similar and this Unibroue reminded me of the great times I had in Montreal. So in that case I say it is VERY drinkable. This brewery really captures the essence of Canada like a good Canadian brewery should. I would recommend any Unibroue to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an amazing beer... I had this one on tap at D's Six Pack and Dogz, Check this place out if you live in Pittsburgh... anyways...

It pours a golden brown color with a light, fluffy, sort-of white, brown head.
the smell is great, like fruits, nuts and spices, sort of reminds me of Christmas! The taste is beyond expectations, simply put, the best belgin beer brewed outside Belgium! Now that's saying a lot and the price is nice too, compared to the expensive imports from Belgium. I could drink these all the time but they can fil you up pretty fast but I would recomend this to anyone who wants to try a good beer!

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

La Fin Du Monde...the end of the world! Well, you could do worse then downing one of these if the end were coming. Once again, Unibroue produces another fine brew (I have got to make it up there one of these days).

Poured from a standard bottle into a pint glass. Nice golden color with an impressive head that hung around for a bit.

Nice yeasty smell that made me more then ready to get started.

Very smooth up front, with a bit of bite at the back end. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. A fine tripel.

Not too thin, not too think. Definitely lingers for a few minutes, which is a good thing.

A bit dangerous, if you ask me...such a good tasting brew, yet it is stronger then you would think. I could go through the entire four pack if I wasn't paying attention.

I would highly recommend this selection. Not quite a St Bernardus tripel, but a very nice runer up.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into my Duvel tulip

Appearance: A hazy light orange. Med/hi carbonation, Poured with a two finger head that did not stick around long. A little lacing that doesn't last long either.

Smell: I get apples and pears, alcohol smell is present as well.

Taste: Very fruity, I could smell the alcohol, but in my opinion it's almost undetectable to the taste. A tad on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: One of my favorite attributes of this beer is how it feels in my mouth. It fills it up. Feels heavy but very smooth.

Drinkability: I would have this beer again. Drinking mostly American pale ales, the Belgian strong ales are pretty new to me.
But I loved every one I tried so far. At 7.99 a 4 pack, I think it's a steal.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Bought a 750ml bottle of this down at the bottle shop. Was looking for something a little out of the ordinary, and when I compared the price of this bottle to getting a single 12oz bottle from the beer bar nearby, it was a steal.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden yellow with a nice head that left a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Fruits and spices, maybe just a hint of alcohol as well.

Taste: There's some alcohol in the finish on this one and it tends to linger, but it is not unpleasant in any way. Slightly sweet/fruity (bananas came to mind), some spices.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, goes down easy and leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

Drinkability: This one is quite drinkable, it is refreshing and tasty. It weighs in at 9% ABV so it might sneak up on you.

Overall, a great drink. One of my favorites.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a tulip pint glass and was extremely foamy, probably due to the extra bottle fermentation . Very pale straw yellow, very light, a little cloudy, nice sweet apple smell, lots of fruity tones, yeasty incredibly long lasting head. Very much like a Duvel, alcohol was balanced nicely with the malt and hops. Pretty full bodied, lots going on in this brew. Pretty good stuff.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A--No exaggeration: looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider.

S--Citrus and sweetness, with a bit of malty goodness.

T--Sweet and savory with the taste of apple and finishes to some citrus. Light burn of alky adds a bit of warmth.

M--Effervescent and bubbly, but still thick and substantial.

D--Dangerous, very dangerous. So easy to drink and quite potent. Consuming a whole bottle would be inadvisable if you wanted to stay....sharp.

Very good, lives up to its reputation.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into my trusty highball from the bottle with dinner.

Appearance: I don't know if the fridge conked out or something, but there was an enormous amount of foam with this beer, even when poured sideways. When the head finally dissipated, leaving nice lacing, it was golden at the edges and a dark straw at the centre, and more than a bit cloudy.

Smell: smoky and quite spicy, which was unusual, faint sweet and fruity notes.

Moutfeel: a perfect balance of thickness and fizz, it goes down very well.

Taste: it delivers on the promises its smell makes, with a nice piquance in front and not excessively hoppy. It finishes a bit citrusy, and malty. Very interesting, and very smooth for its alcohol content (9%)

Drinkability: it goes down well without offending the senses, and while it is not to my usual taste, it is quite nice, with a pleasant buzz to boot.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

One of my top 3 brews. If you love tripels this is one of the finest examples. Treat yourself.

Pours a golden honey brew with a full beige creamy crown. Cloudy body, with nice carbonation. Very easy on the nose with some floral, banana, cloves and sweet malts notes, with a slight touch of alcohol. Very similar on the palate than on the nose, although the alcohol tends to come out as the brew warms up. Great drinkability and surprisingly refreshing for a 9%abv tripel.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Hazy orange color, tall and fizzy head that i enjoyed stuffing my nose into. Smells bright with scents of clove like I'd expect in a tripel.

Tastes great, remarkably well combined flavors of citrus, clove like spices. Goes down really smooth, no suggestions of a 9% abv. Carbonation is right where I'd like it to be, I'd drink this almost any time of year in almost any setting.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A--Pours a rich golden apricot color. Has a thick smooth head of about 1 1/2 inches, which retains well and leaves some lacing. Very appetizing from the start.

S--Heaven. The same apricot from the appearance, along with strong biscuit, yeast, and dough. I also detect some banana and clove.

T--Essence of sweet and ripe light fruits--pear, apricot, papaya--but it's not markedly sweet or cloing, by far. The biscuity, buttery yeast provides the perfect backdrop and rounds it out into a beautiful dry finish.

M--Smooth, rich, and creamy, it coats the palate and allows the complex tastes to linger for miles.

D--The alcohol is remarkedly well hidden, though the warmth is there. This could kick your butt if you're not careful.

Overall, this is one of the best belgians I've ever had. It is frickin beautiful. Stellar example of this style.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

12-ounce bottle, served in a tulip glass (11/07/2012)
Appearance: rich, deep golden color, a white head that thins out but sticks around for a while
Aroma: a lot of aroma comes off of this guy, it smells complex and strong; fruit and a hint of spice notes come through mostly, smells very sweet
Taste: it starts sweet as it moves through some of the fruits and the grains; it has a bit of a hop and spice at the end there too; the aftertaste is pretty dry, maybe from the high ABV
Mouthfeel: it's pretty syrupy and coats the mouth more than Don or Trios did; it is thick; carbonated well;
Overall Impression: honestly, I was hoping for something more, and admittedly my expectation may have colored my impression of the beer; I love Belgian Ales and this was supposed to be a great one...it's just good; it's certainly not as sweet as it smells and not as sweet as some other Belgians that I have had, especially since it ends on a dry, bitter note that I am not wild about; it is complex, it has a richness of flavor; the best part of the taste is the middle, where some of the characteristics of a classic Belgian come out-but I think that the best part of the beer is how it looks...it looks perfect and pretty

Had this beer a few times and I don't see why it's such a great beer. I've had my fair share of great beers, but La Fin Du Monde for me is an overrated beer, one that overshadows many other great Canadian beers such as Creemore Springs, which I think is a far superior tasting beer than this. Personally, I think this beer doesn't rival Unibrue's Blanche De Chambly. The taste is very fruity and it has a high alcohol content. This is one of my least favorite beers, and I don't recommend it.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Like all Unibroue beers, this one is highly carbonated, almost champagne-like. It is not an all occasion beer, at 9.0 ABV, but when it's right it's right. The packaging is impressive, I enjoy giving this as gifts, and it's got a certain undeniable something. I wanted to love this beer, but have to admit that while it is very good I do not know if I consider it a world-class beer. I am willing to assume that I am un-worldly. But I know what I like and there are many beers that I prefer. Each time I go back to it expecting to be surprised, I remember that it has let me down before. Your mileage may vary, and I honestly hope it does. I respect this beer, but I do not love it.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Nose is fairly mild- that nice Belgian yeastiness comes through and I also get some subtle spicy and fruity notes. The taste is where this beer really shines. At 9% ABV, I was expecting something complex and interesting but hard to get down. This beer is extremely well-balanced and drinkable. You could tell me I was drinking a 6% abv-er and I'd believe you- it's that smooth. It has almost white wine-like qualities. I get apple, pear, clove, and some breadiness. There is almost no bitterness and the alcohol is present only in the nice warming feeling as you get farther into the pint. Nice full mouthfeel.

This really is a world class beer. An instant favorite and one I'd seek out again. At 9% ABV, it is complex and hard-hitting but has absolutely zero off-putting qualities. White wine meets a better version of Delirium Tremens.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent triple, slightly different than the classic Belgian version. For a high ABV, the alcohol does not overpower. Full of flavor, a must have.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue